Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast The Hot Towel at your Puzzle Spa. I am your host, A J. Jacobs, and I am here with our chief puzzle Officer, Greg Pulisko.
Speaker 2: Welcome Greg, Thank you Ajay, I'm enjoying a little hot towel. Actually, think of the puzzler is the cucumbers on your eyes?
Speaker 1: The puzzle spot All right, all right, everyone go back and mentally change the intro because that is more accurate. By the way, Happy April Fool's Day, Greg, Is.
Speaker 2: It really are you teasing me? Is this?
Speaker 1: Well, it is a prank because we're recording it several weeks ahead of time.
Speaker 2: But well, pull back the curtain.
Speaker 1: But for our sake, yes, it is April Fool's Day. And I was thinking though, for puzzlers, every day is April Fool's Day, because puzzles are kind of like a little mild prank. They're all about misdirection and gotcha moments. So I wanted today to celebrate April Fool's Day by talking about three famous puzzle pranks that have had varying degrees of success. So are you ready?
Speaker 2: I'm I'm ready. I always love puzzles. I love pranks, and I love your stories about puzzles, so listen to.
Speaker 1: You, all right. Puzzle prank number one. You might remember this the April Fool's Day crossword puzzle in the New York Times in two thy sixteen, And when I describe it, you might remember it was friend of the show. Peter Gordon wrote a crossword on April first, twenty sixteen that struck fear into the hearts of crossword lovers everywhere. Very controversial but brilliant because when you solve the puzzle and read the answers together, they said, do two budget cuts. The New York Times crossword puzzle will end tomorrow. And people freaked out. Do you remember that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, where do you go? Well, no, because I recognized it was April Fool's Day. But it was a fun thing to discover.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, as I went back and read the comments and people were I mean, most people thought it was brilliant, but there were people who got it. I guess some local newspapers printed a few days later, so they got it on like, you know, April eighth, and they're like, you know, what the hell? And yeah, people were really tearing their hair out Oh, by the way, the word prank has appeared in the New York Times crossword puzzle many times, and you often play the crossword family feud game with us. So what is your guest? What is the most common clue for prank? What is the most common prank used by New York Times puzzle makers?
Speaker 2: The most common clue for prank is probably April Fool's Day, antic or something.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm looking for more like, what is an actual prank? Like loosening the top on a salt shaker?
Speaker 2: Like, oh, what prank do they use to clue the word prank? Putting a banana peel on the floor. Nope, no, because nobody really ever does that. Have you ever actually seen somebody slip on a banana peel?
Speaker 1: No, that would be serious litigation like that. That's not a good prank. That's like a lawsuit.
Speaker 2: All right, tased in your Oreo cookies.
Speaker 1: That's a good one, but it's not in there. Short sheating, short cheating four or five short sheating, which I've never done or had done to me, have.
Speaker 2: You, nor I? But you go to camp, and you go to college wherever you go, there is it's you know, a thing everybody talks about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone talks about, but I've never seen it done. I feel it's Yeah.
Speaker 2: Not to digress too much. We did a thing in college once where we well, one of our friends was at class. We took his entire dorm room and moved it into the quad and set up all the furniture in the exact same configuration.
Speaker 1: Well, that is good. That's the way beyond short cheating. By the way, as always, thanks to x word info website, which is the one where they list every clue in the New York Times. Ever, it's crazy, all right. Moving on to prank number two. As you might remember Greg. In the book The Puzzler written by aj Jacobs with Puzzles by Greg Pliska, there is a section on Stave jigsaw puzzles. And this is a company with the craziest, trickiest and most expensive jigsaw puzzles in the world. They are hand carved out of wood. They run from four hundred dollars up to ten thousand dollars. I visited the factory in Vermont, and it's wild because there are these five people at these contraptions that look like sewing machines. After a nuclear disaster, there's like warp and they are carving painted wood into these crazy shapes like dogs and rainbows and astronauts, and they are They're famous for their tricky puzzle. So some of the puzzles have holes in the middle or they're no straight edges. The guy who runs it calls himself Chief Tormentor.
Speaker 2: It's my new title.
Speaker 1: Actually, yes, you are a Chief torment.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be coming up from the puzzle dungeon rather than the puzzle lab.
Speaker 1: I like it. Well. A few years ago, on April first, the Chief Tormentor went too far with his tormenting. He sold some puzzles where some of the pieces were too big to fit. They were like twenty percent bigger than they should have been. People were not happy. They did not think that was funny, and he had to refund all of their money. So that was a prank that did not that went awry.
Speaker 2: I guess you designed the regular sized piece and then you have your magic apocalyptic sewing machine. Do it like a larger cut of that one exactly?
Speaker 1: I think that was it, but never to be done again.
Speaker 2: All right, well, but the wooden pieces are more durable than the normal kind of cardboarding one is that the idea?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's just a joy to do them. They're like, they're lovely there, and you can rent them, so if you you know, four hundred dollars is a crazy amount, but you can rent them or swap them.
Speaker 2: Did you rent them by the hour? It's gonna be bad, right, like, go.
Speaker 1: God, that would be I know because some of them, like the one that they consider the hardest, took me weeks. So yeah, that would be more expensive on an hourly basis, all right. Pruzzle prank number three. This is an old one, a classic from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. This is not, by the way, not April Fools, but it isn't in the prank genre, so we include it. Alice is at the tea party and the mad Hatter asks her riddle. He says, why is a raven like a writing desk? And Alice gives up and the mad Hatter says, I haven't the slightest idea, And so basically it was a riddle with no answer. Alice was not happy. She said, stop wasting my time. And it turns out readers agreed with Alice. They were like, stop wasting our time, Lewis Carroll. They wanted an answer to the riddle, which again was why is a raven like a writing desk? And they pestered him so much that eventually, in the preface to a volume that came out later, he said, all right, I'm going to give you an answer, even though it's made up after the fact that His answer was because it can produce a few notes, though they are very flat, and it is never put with the wrong end in front. So there it is. It can produce a few notes though they are very flat.
Speaker 2: There's another answer to that, though, that I know, which is they both have inky quills.
Speaker 1: Oh there you go.
Speaker 2: There the feathers are quills that are inky black, or the desk has oh good night. But really it's funner without an answer, because that long, convoluted response from Lewis Carroll is a little kind of a doesn't land the punchline?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, I mean, I think that is. And that has become a little niche pastime of what are alternative answers to Lewis Carroll's riddle? You had one, let me give you another couple. Because Edgar Allan Poe wrote on both, he wrote on a desk and he wrote about ravens.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: Actually, what about because they both have two eyes? So ravens have two eyes, and writing desk is two eyes as in the letter.
Speaker 2: That's very good. That's also why a cow is like a writing desk, and why you're like a writing desk, and why a giraffe is like a writ desk.
Speaker 1: But it's all purpose. Yeah, how about they both involve quills? I think you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they both have inky quills, which gets even more specific.
Speaker 1: Right. I heard all these theories first from this Lewis Carroll expert who has thousands of Lewis Carroll books and paraphernalia in his house. And I asked him what his favorite answer was, and he said his favorite answer is there's a B in both. There's a B in both. And I was like really, And then he kept repeating it and I finally got it, and I was annoyed but also kind of impressed, which is, yeah, there's a B in the word in the word both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not an It's as absurd as the other question.
Speaker 1: Is, right, exactly, it's an absurd answer to the absurd question. It's kind of annoying, but also kind of clever. And it's also all purpose. Like anytime anyone asks you a brittle what does X have in common with why? You just say, oh, there's a B in both.
Speaker 2: That's good. I like, I'm going to use that as the answered everything. There's a bee in both.
Speaker 1: There you go, and that is our April's Fool's Day gift to you. Speaking of April Fool's Day, Greg, any good pranks that you have played or have had played upon you.
Speaker 2: You know, I have a prank story. It wasn't April Fools when this happened. It was actually summer. It was one of my summer jobs during college. I was a type setter at a firm that did labels. So we did type for all kinds of different labels, one of which was a major grocery chain in California, and we did all of the bakery labels, so they were it just words afterward, a very tiny, very condensed, little type of just all these ridiculous ingredients. And after a long summer of doing this, I had a really good rapport with the next guy in line, the guy who took the type I did, and then he pasted it up, and I thought, I'm going to do a funny thing for Bill. At the end of the list of ingredients, I think it was hot cross buns. It was like eight or nine lines of tiny words. I wrote, guaranteed to make you vomit in three minutes or less. And I just put it in. I didn't say anything. I just you know, printed it out and passed it on to him to set up. And I thought, this will be really funny because he'll be working and he'll see it and he'll crack up, and then he'll cut off that little sentence and it'll be fine. So, you know, we went on with our workday. The week went on, I forgot to see if he'd gotten the prank, and I went back to college. And a couple months into college, I get a call from my former boss says, Greg, you're fired. And I said, well, you know, Chuck, you know I'm not working there anymore. He says, I know. That's why you're getting fired instead of Bill or anybody else, because nobody caught all my mistake. And in fact, the grocery chain approved the you know, the mock up of the labels. It went into production. They produced ten thousand of these labels. And the only thing that saved me from like everlasting infamy is that a guy in the warehouse was looking for which hot Cross buns he had to stick these labels on when he read the label down and he noticed the fine print at the end that's said, my God guaranteed to make you vomit in three minutes or last. Needless to say, he wasn't happy. That grocery chain wasn't happy. And I never had a career as a typesetter.
Speaker 1: That is crazy. Well, I mean you would have had like, that's a multimillion dollar lawsuit. People, no one would ever buy him again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Place would have gone out of business. It just so I barely die. So be careful what pranks you play.
Speaker 1: That's a good lesson, excellent moral Well that is very funny. All right, well folks watch out today or things like that. Just be careful.
Speaker 2: Listen to this episode. You can't listen to it till later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is. Don't do what Greg did, but do keep listening to our show. And as an extra credit, if you have other answers to Lewis Carroll's riddle, please send them in and we'll try to read them on the air, and please join us next time for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzling.
Speaker 2: Hey, they're puzzlers. This is Greg Plisk, your chief puzzle Officer, up from the Puzzle Lab, with the answer to the extra credit from our previous episode. I played a language game with Aj where every word ended in is h E, s E or ia n and sounded like the name of a language. But wasn't your extra credit clue was this it's a condiment or it's a language spoken by people who think equines are cool, and that, of course would be horse Radish, horse rad ish. I think horses are rad and I hope you think horses are rad too, and I hope you think puzzles are even more rad. Come play some more puzzles with us next time on the Puzzler Podcast.