Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Vanessa Bayor and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 3: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood nostalgia and how it shaped this into the people we are today.
Speaker 2: Who couldn't rush more to talk to today's guests?
Speaker 1: Welcome to how did we get weird?
Speaker 2: So Jonah, we're so excited about our guest today.
Speaker 4: You know, I did a movie with him years ago and I have a really funny story about it.
Speaker 2: Do you want to hear it? Jonah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: When we were filming this movie, it was like in Rhode Island, I think. Anyway, we went to dinner one night with one of my closest friends, Aril, and it was our guest today and Ril, I don't know why I'm acting like it's a mystery who it is.
Speaker 2: I know it says in the episode, said what.
Speaker 1: The name of the movie is either, so that might help too.
Speaker 2: Okay, The movie was called The Polke.
Speaker 4: We were getting dinner one night and my friend Arielle and I and he started asking her what she does, like what her job is, and she's a profess. She was a professor at Harvard and she did all this research and stuff, and he was asking her about all her research and stuff, and as she was explaining what she does, I realized that I didn't really know.
Speaker 1: What she did.
Speaker 4: There were like so many cool details about her job that I had no idea about. And it's funny because again, this is Jonah, you know Ariel. I mean, she's one of my closest friends in the world, and yet it took having our guests today at dinner with us to really find out what she was doing, because he's so thoughtful and such a good listener, and I'm always just like, let's focus on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, she teaches business too, I think, which can be that can be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, crossover between business and medicine and science, because she's one of the smartest people in the world.
Speaker 3: Not to brag Jonah, Yeah, yeah, well yeah, do you want to introduce today's guest? Maybe see if if he remembers this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's introduce him our guest today. Is an actor and musician who made his film debut in Wes Anderson's nineteen ninety eight film Rushmore, Did You Get That's What? And has appeared in other films and TV shows You Love such as The Dark Deeling Limited, which he co wrote. The aforementioned The Poke King with Moi and more recently Asteroid City, as well as a million other things like I don't know, a little show called I Love That.
Speaker 2: For you, Please welcome our friend Jason Schwartzman.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, How are you good? How are you doing? Thank you for having me, Thank you for being here. I'm I'm a fan and I'm excited to be here. And yes, and I'm so excited. I can't believe you do it live. I can't believe you do it all in real time, like that your introduction where you say we're brother, We're like you do all of the 'sh yeah, yeah, fresh every time, which I think is nice. It's fresh. So it's all one real time. It's not just like a three tapes right.
Speaker 2: Right, right, right right.
Speaker 3: No, the only thing pre taped is the theme song, which no big deal. I co wrote and played guitar on.
Speaker 1: So cool. Yeah, yeah great, So it is a big deal. It is a big deal. Jason.
Speaker 4: Do you remember that dinner that we had different Yeah, yeah, of course, yes. More than anything, I just remember that we were sitting next to each other. She was across from me. There were three of us, so there was an empty chair next to her maybe.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And then it was at a restaurant that was like north side I guess of the street, and we were in a back corner.
Speaker 2: Wow, you're remembering a lot of the location details.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. It was obviously nighttime. It was dark, and there was like a candle. It was really nice.
Speaker 2: It was really were we outside Maybe we were outside, right.
Speaker 1: We were. I don't think that we were okay, but we we had we had other meals when we were outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: I mean again, it's just my memory against we don't I don't know. I could be No, I believe you. I think you.
Speaker 2: It feels like you have more of a can visualize it.
Speaker 1: I just call that. Yeah, I just I think that. Yeah, we were inside and it was it was great, and I your yeah, your friend. I was. I just kept thinking, Wow. But it says so much about you that your friends are so nice. Oh that's and that you've known them for so long and and and and care about them. And I think it's totally great not to know about your everything about your friend's lives, because then there's more to learn. I suppose.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a really nice way of framing it.
Speaker 1: This is Ari L.
Speaker 4: Stern, one of my oldest friends, and I could Yeah. I mean I knew she did research and stuff, and I knew she worked in business, and I don't think I knew quite the level of the like science that was involved in what she was researching and stuff. And you were asking about that, and then by the end of the conversation, I was like, WHOA.
Speaker 1: Have you taken that with you now to the into your relationship with her?
Speaker 2: Now now I understand a little bit.
Speaker 4: But even though she's so smart, now I I but I understand a little bit more, you know, the the trials, Yeah, like the different trials and the way that she does yes research that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I I feel like I I'm not showing it by how I'm verbalizing this, but I do feel like I understand what she does a little bit more.
Speaker 1: That's got That's great.
Speaker 3: Jason, you uh, you know, you've been in the biz for a while, like music, entertainment, film. Do you find it interesting talking to people from other industries like that? Is that interesting to you? I guess it made that's a weird question because it probably because you've been part of this one world for so long.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I mean I don't really even I don't. It's something I've never really even thought about. I just yeah, yeah, I mean really I and this is like a new but it's just like it's always exciting to talk to anyone who loves something or is like really you know, really has like a enthusiasm for something. And I think that more than anything, like, I find that not like I'm I'm I'm I'm studying or like judging or observing like how much they love something. I am listening to what they're saying, but I it's it's it's intoxicating to have a conversation with anyone who had just spent a lot of time doing something that you you know that you have no concept of what that's like, and then finding I suppose maybe just like the similarities and because there are so many if you to be passionate about anything, is well, I don't know anything about that that I don't know about.
Speaker 4: But yeah, no, I mean I feel I find that you have such an interest in other people. And I will say, when you did, you know, you did two episodes of my show, which was so much fun, and.
Speaker 1: It was so much fun. You were so I was so scared of the one day when I had to propose to that girl, I was really scared about that. I was really scared about it. I proposed to her and I met her that morning. I met her, I know before.
Speaker 4: The other thing that was so interesting about that woman was that she was like she we she was so nice. She was playing your girlfriend. But she also said most days she does craft services.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that? Yeah, she was like usually lions I think, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And she was like I normally am in charge of craft services.
Speaker 1: And it was like what, Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was so crazy because the point is I just was so impressed that she was able to act and also run a full you know, I know, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I don't know if it was the other way around. Like I wonder if I was if if I went and just did craft service on a film. I wonder if it would if it would if it if it would be like, really, you also do something else besides this, because you're so good at you're yeah, actually a good craft ser Like I wonder if I if it goes both ways like that that range.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, it's not like you just put out a table.
Speaker 4: It sounds like it's just a table of snacks, but you first of all, you have to replenish it. Also you're making like there's like creations in there, and asal creations. I mean there's apples with peanut butter, apple sizes with peanut butter, and what's that that's kind of like a famous one that people bring out.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they'll bring out a soup.
Speaker 4: You know, it's not just cold snacks, I guess is what people need to know.
Speaker 1: No, I think that, and you know, I think that it's important too to know that. That's the great thing about first of all that I love about a set is how many different kind of units there are, diferent occupations that are all ideally kind of working to make one thing, you know, and how everyone's kind of helping each other. And I think what you're saying is absolutely right and and and not to like get too into it, but like I find it really interesting the craft service because not they have to also just the hours are different because typically like they are.
Speaker 2: Supporing.
Speaker 1: Because it's like I'm finally able to talk about them, finally someone who gets it, I know. But because I talked to my kids about craft service, I have no idea they think it's about arts, but that they're at like the hours are you have to be there, you have to be there early, and setting up when people get to work if they haven't that chance to eat or give themselves. And then so you're dealing with people, and then and then afterwards you've got to pack it all up to maybe move to a different location and then go shopping.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you have to go shopping, so much shopping, you know, so much of it.
Speaker 1: And then also I think about having to watch and see what people are gravitating towards and then what you're gonna go, Okay, we're gonna need more rice cakes tomorrow. Yeah, I did not plan for this group of people to like rice cakes so much, you know what I mean? Like it must be different, like when you start a new project, observing the eating and feeding habits of the different people and and kind of going like, I need to buy more of that. And then I also think like and then some people they have specific stuff that they like and you're and I would imagine the craft service is in charge of remembering that, which I think is really hard, like oh no, no, they don't like that, they like this, or just beginning as the thing goes on to you know. And also I think that you know, in the beginning, it's all you're everyone's meeting each other and being so helpful in it, like you know, at a certain point, like imagine like you are responsible for people getting like low blood sugar maybe or hungry. You know, I've seen people get you know, get get a sandwich, and it's no one's fault, but it's like it's it's it's it's like you really got to be prepared. And and I really like, I just think it's great. And I also love on some I love on every movie, you know. I love the things that people accumulate over the course of their careers that they have on their carts and trucks, and the things that they that they to make it feel like, to personalize it and to make it feel like this is my sound cart and it's got lit Christmas lights and maybe like a photo from another movie of them with like a you know, a fake squirrel, or or just little things like yeah, I mean, you know, like a candle from their child over there. Just like the things that you bring along with you to make your your life, which is often you know, the hours, can you know, take you away from the things. Yeah, just the things that you to keep consistent through your life, that you customize, that you use to customize your space.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I find that definitely true with like people and like a in the craft service, Like just how much there is a sense of pride in making keeping people fed and pictures up from the other movies and right signed things like thanks for thanks for all the chips, you know, and like just like having pride in your history and what you've done. I just think it's really uh cool. And we did talk about that with me and that girl talked about that. That's I think that's what we were talking about between takes. Yeah. Yeah, although I think she was more new to the biz. Maybe maybe that might be right.
Speaker 4: But you know, everything you're saying really kind of brings up what I was going to say about you, which is that I think that people couldn't believe sort of how kind you were. You were talking to everybody, not by the way. I knew that you were like this from working with you before. I wasn't like, Wow, he's having a good day or something. But I felt like everyone was like, oh my god, because you were like talking. You were so interested, genuinely interested in everybody in every different job that was going on on the on the day that we were filming from all the different you know, departments, like you're saying and talking to everyone, and everyone was like, I think because you like have done so much, you know, you're you're because you're a big star, Jason. I think people were like, oh, he's going to be like, get me a sandwich and I'll do my lines and get out of here or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then when you were so nice to everybody and so genuinely interested in everybody, like people kept coming up to me and I was like, I, yeah, he's great, Like.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. They were saying the same thing about you, Like people were coming up saying like Vanessa and about Jack, who was also in the film, was like how great you guys were, how funny and how sweet and how kind, Like I was hearing the same thing about you. Just if that means anything like it and I and I think of you as being someone who really is like interested in other people and and really listening and picking up on things. So I don't know, I really I think it more about you than anything.
Speaker 4: Well, that's very nice. But they I appreciate that. But but you were like, just come, I don't know that it was fun. It was so fun.
Speaker 1: I always thought, so, yeah, yeah, it was great.
Speaker 3: That was great, incredible, Yes, fun, Jason. I want to kind of bring things way back for a minute.
Speaker 2: Let's bring things back, Jonah.
Speaker 3: Okay, you were born, yeah, in Los Angeles, and you know, me and Vannessa were saying before, we're friends with your brother Robert. What was the dynamic like with you two kids growing up in LA in the eighties, What was that like?
Speaker 1: Well, there's so my father was married once before, and my mother was married once before, and my father had two children from his previous marriage and my mother had one. And so really they were five of us. The John, my eldest brother, and my sister Stephanie were just enough younger that by the time we were born, they were sort of on their way to going to they were in the later stages of high school and then to college, and you know, so they weren't in the house, you know, day to day, right, And so it was really me and my brother Matthew and Robert, and so I would say that and that's a so Matthews five years older, and then Robert and I are two and a half, and so I think that, you know, I was like the middle. I was kind of the middle. Yeah, brother, if that, if that? And yeah, I mean it was a great My sister was the cool is the cool is the coolest to this to this day, the coolest. I can't even believe I'm really related to this personal Sometimes I just go, like I wish that I could when I meet someone who's like really great, I go, I wish I could just like call my sister and be like, can you come over right now just so this person can meet you and see how great you are. And then like, yeah, I just like, she's the first person I think of as being like she was like shave her head, you know, pink hair, shaved her head, Like she was just cool. Yeah, she's great. She's the best. She's the best. She makes me so happy to this so nice. What does she do? Many many things? And she was just working mountain this beautiful ceramics. Wow. But talk about doing different jobs. Growing up, she did many different jobs in the film industry like casting and production design. And she has a real like she really learned a lot of different traits in the film industry, and I always admired, like I was remembered that as a kid like that, you can you know just how much she's learning about everything, Yeah, and retaining about it. But yeah, she's the cool and yeah, just nor her sculpting and it's beautiful, amazing, that's so great. And my brother John's a cinematographer and Matthew's a writer, and I'm yeah here and then my little brother is just this mysterious, incredible man.
Speaker 3: Did you two play? Me and Vanessa had kind of a childhood band growing up. Did you and Robert write any songs about your family or anything growing up like we did or not so much?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I uh, And I feel like anything that I didn't do I feel bad about obviously, like it's not yeah, I probably should have, you know, but and you know, and I and I if he's ever listening, I can't say it to his face, but I'm proud of him, and I'm very sorry that I didn't, like, maybe do a band with him and hang out more. But we were no best you know, he's like my best little buddy. I think that he growing up was very quiet and I was much more extroverted. And I think that I kind of you know, as you see sometimes you see siblings one it's just like really much more like boisterous, and so I think a lot of times and I just like, I don't know, I just think I knew a lot of words. Yeah, and I watched a lot of movie Like I was just like and he was really quiet. Yeah, you know. And now it's so funny because he's a you know, he has a great he has a company Utopias, and he makes movies and he's also the lead singer of a band. And like I see him on the stage like just at the front of the stage like all all right, Alice, how's everyone feeling out there? Like, and I'm just like, I can't believe that's my little brother, Like who was so quiet? Because I could never do that. I would never be able to do that. I think you could not true, not in a way that would feel like I mean maybe if I got used to it, but just the idea of just like I remember one time he had his foot up like on the vocal monitor and I was like, wow, like that's amazing, Like I would never do that. So much confidence, Yes, and and but he's so sweet and it's like, so anyone who's ever met my brother, he's just he really is so sweet. Yes, yeah, and it's like he's just you know, it's it's so it's just I don't know, I'm just it makes me glad. I'm just so happy and proud of him. And but yeah, he was really quiet. And I think that, you know, I think my brother Matthew would say, and I know this because he did say it recently at Robert's birthday party, that he said, when he found out he was being a little brother who was gonna be me, he was really excited and then when he met me and everything, it was like I wasn't what he was like expecting. And then Robert came along and that's what he was like talking about, like uh and and so he's like he finally got like the little brother that he was like or like hoping for and uh and uh and they are like a real like team they had all the time. And I think that I was much I was a bit more like uh yeah, just I don't know if I don't they have probably many more memories of together.
Speaker 4: What do you think was what do you think what you were lacking that Robert had or what qualities about you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do you think you didn't quite make the grade?
Speaker 1: There? Well, when he said it, everyone laughed. It was a funny. It was like a thing at the you know, and I was like and then I was thinking, but like I really like it was like right, it was at his birthday this year recently. It's like when Robert was you know, and and I was like everyone was laughing, and I was like, that feels right too, Like I guess I feel like I've known that. I feel like I've known that on some level that I wasn't the little brother that you wanted me to be and that Robert was. But I'm thinking about it now as I'm like getting solid, like as I'm like making a plate of dinner, I'm like, WHOA was I what? What? What? Like I was asking myself the very question I think that I wasn't like maybe like I think I've just I'm more of like a I just I'm just like, don't touch me. Maybe more like maybe you know, more like more like they were like wrestling and just getting shut. I was kind of like, okay, like I want to watch this. I want to watch this movie over. You're being too loud.
Speaker 4: He could have been just making a really funny joke though, too, Like that's a great it was a great joke.
Speaker 1: So it's a funny joke. Yeah, And I think it was one of those things that was a joke and it was not It was absolutely true and it was true. But it was so sweet. And what makes me happy is he got the little brother he wanted. Yeah, that's what makes me have My brother got what he wanted. They all got what they wanted. Everyone got Yeah, and they all get and but to this day that's our like our sort of thing. It's like they text all the time and I'm on the text and then like I'd chime in, like hah and they go like, oh good, chime in after four days of this text medicine, Like I'm like what I'm supposed to?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you do you have Maybe your sister is you were that to your sister maybe because you know you love Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was, but she was older enough. I was just kind of you know, I was happy. I was I had a great great yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now Johanah, do you feel like you got what you.
Speaker 1: Were looking for?
Speaker 2: You didn't really get an opportunity to have another option.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good question.
Speaker 3: I never really thought about it either, by the way. Yeah wow, I mean my day job is as a therapist, and I wasn't expecting that. The podcast is usually uh yeah, very different than that. But we're getting pretty into the psychological subconsciousness.
Speaker 2: I really think about this.
Speaker 1: Well, good welcome. Now there's no easy way out here with me. That's right, you want to do this, let's do this. I think so.
Speaker 3: But I do think if there was more kids, maybe it would change the dynamic how we relate to each other.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, Now do.
Speaker 4: You remember mom and Dad threatened to like adopt a kid once when we were.
Speaker 1: A little interesting.
Speaker 4: Vaguely they were threaten not threatening, but they threatening is the wrong word. But there was some news story on about these kids that needed to be adopted. I can't remember exactly, and they were like talking about it and seriously considering it, and I remember being and it was just one night.
Speaker 3: I think you felt threat and then you're projecting it onto this.
Speaker 2: I was like, what the hell?
Speaker 4: Like I was truly like, I was like nope, Like I remember being so upset about it, and then I don't know whatever happened. I don't think that I'm the reason they didn't do it, because I think they were like she'lking over it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't remember that really now. But why why how did it come up? I want? Well, in what content? Something was on the news?
Speaker 4: It was like, I don't know if these kids were from a different country or if it was something it was news related.
Speaker 3: Our neighbors down the street they they took someone in from like eastern Europe. Yeah, and he lived there and he played guitar. He was actually a really cool guy who's built electric guitars. And he was a teenager. Yeah, he was a couple of years older than us. Yeah, and he was somewhere from eastern Europe and lived with them for like a year or two.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was our next door neighbors.
Speaker 3: That was Chad Chad's Oh, Chad had this this guy. His name was Tomao. They he called himself tom because kids at school would make fun of him, called Tomato.
Speaker 1: What. Yeah, I know, he was really a really cool guy actually, but like a teenage Lucier is Yeah, I know, what were you like as a kid, I just built guitars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could give me like pretty like, yeah, you could give me like a year and all the equipment, and I probably couldn't build a guitar.
Speaker 1: Yes you could. I don't know. Maybe he definitely could.
Speaker 4: I have a question that's kind of out of left field that I was thinking about when you were talking about Robert.
Speaker 2: Robert was in The Princess Diaries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, was that?
Speaker 2: What did you go to the premiere?
Speaker 4: And were you so proud of like because it sounds like he was so quiet before then sort of yes.
Speaker 1: So I did.
Speaker 2: That must have been such a moment.
Speaker 1: It was, Yeah, yeah, it was. It was funny. Yeah, it was great, I mean funny, like I was. Yes, I do remember being there, Yes, I remember, And I visited the set too, you did, Yes, I visited the set one day. I met I saw Heather Masurado and Hathway and the whole thing. I think I was there for like this like bleachers there like a same you know the scene where they're like on bleachers like playing basketball and something and they're like walking up and down bleachers kind of like right, Yeah I was, but yeah, that was I was so proud of him. I bet so proud. I mean, like I truly it's just like, you know, I'm proud of I mean, for anyone to put themselves out there, you know, in any way, it's such a you know, and I was really proud of me. I also just found it to be so bizarre because it was like I didn't know that he was interested in that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because had you already done Rushmore's had you Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had just done it basically yeah. Yeah, And so I mean I was sort of in a similar boat. But yeah, it was amazing and he was like I also thought it was cool because I think he and his band wasn't it too, Like he had really he was already kind of like branding. Yeah, he was already like yeah, you can use my band too. Like it was like yeah, I love him. Wow. Yeah. And at the end, like you know, at the end, like he has like a really romantic thing and with all the lights And I was there when I shot that. I remember going there for that and it was like a beautiful night. I think it was like near usc Okay and not that. But I'm so proud of him. And you know, he's handsome too. He's a handsome guy and he's just big. He's also he's really touchy feely. He really likes to touch you and pinch, grab you and squeeze your shoulders and he'll say you're good, you're good, and squeeze you. And I said, yes, I'm good.
Speaker 4: Fine, I'm not the brother you want to do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, come on, come on please, No, that's good. But actually I know this one guy because that's his that's his effect. She's very affectionate and you know, and he comes over and squeezing you good, and it's constantly doing that. And I actually was working on something and Robert and his wife Zoe Grossman, who's an incredible photographer and coolest, funniest preser who went to elementary school with Robert too, oh wow, and they have children and anyway, but she came to visit, both of them came to visit this where I was working, and she was talking to the on set photographer and then later he comes up to me, the onset photographers, your brother's I don't know, he's a little uh what was it like, getting a little heat, you gotta get cool it down, gets a little get a little heated. I was like, what are you talking about? He's like I was talking to his wife. We're talking about lenses and cameras, and your brother keeps coming up and putting his hands on my shoulders, saying like you're good, are we good? Everything good? They kept hitting me, and I was like, Jesus, this guy's really possessive. He's like you let him. You know, all we were doing was talking about lenses. I was like, no, no, no, that really isn't real. That's not a threatening that's his that's his loving, that's love for him. Yeah he was, but he but he took it as like, you know when people have a kind of thing like everything good, we're good here, Yeah we're good like that? That that's that is the same tone. And I could totally say I had never thought about it until he had said that. But it's a various it's like everything good, we're good, yeah, okay good, and it's like yeah, yeah, I don't know what you call that tone, but yeah, that reminds me of this. My little cousin when she was little, she had this thing. I was walked. She threw picked up a rock and threw it through a bunch of like a handful of like gravel at a car and her mom said no, no, no, do not. You cannot do that. And she goes, oh, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, and I was like, she's sarcastic, and I said, is she messing around? She goes no, that's the weirdest thing is that the way she says sorry sounds like she is messing with me, but it's really real. And I was like really, And then later I heard her do it again and she goes, oh, she drops something. She goes, oh, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I'm very sorry, like but it slowly. It was just legitimately she was sorry, but it was like I couldn't it like four year old kigo, I'm so sorry. Oh I didn't mean to i won't do it again. Sorry, I'm so sorry. I love it. I was like, gosh, she really couldn't sound like she means it less incredible. Well, that's it's really funny.
Speaker 4: And on that note, I guess it's time for a commercial break. So we're going to go to a quick commercial break and we'll be right with Jason Schwartzman.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, and we're back.
Speaker 3: Jason, you still do you still play drums at all? He's still, yeah, I do, but it's a little bit.
Speaker 1: I actually why I have this a little electronic drum set that I just to try to mess around with because the drumming, I guess, the drumming that I love to do, it's such a lonely instrument. Really, if you're not playing in a band with people, you know, it's like, yeah, it's fun to play drums and get off, but it's at a certain point, you know it. And but I so I hadn't been playing in years. And then a friend of mine named Ben Kuehler was playing a show in LA to celebrate the twentieth anniversary of this album he put out. And he'd also put out that album the same year that my old band fan in Planet I'd put an album. And so he said, do you want to come on stage with Alex who was the singer of that band, and do a song from it? And I was like, oh, no, no, I don't want to do it. And then he's like, your kids could well, and I thought, oh, my kids have never seen you play. And so I played drums for the first time, like real drums really, for the first time in like twenty something years, just a few weeks ago, and it was so hard. I so out of breath. I couldn't believe it. I was like, I couldn't believe how deconditioned I was from drumming seriously, like even just like even at the end of just from playing one song, I had gotten blisters and popped them in one song. Oh yeah, like crazy, just your body, just how I was. I had forgotten that whole You know. It's like if you like we're like doing something at one level all the time, all the time, and then stopped. When you go back to doing it, you kind of expect to be like right to pushing yourself as hard as you had been doing it. And I forgot that that had been after years of kind of building to it. And I was like, oh my god, like I almost blacked out, and it was so nuts. It was crazy. It was crazy. That is Yeah, that's happened to me. Actually.
Speaker 3: I used to run marathons, like yeah, I and then I went running last year and I was like, I'm just gonna run like eight miles and I like couldn't walk for like two weeks after. Really, but you I was like, I used to do this all the time and no big deal, but yeah, your body kind of ages and if you don't do something you but in your mind you still think you can do it.
Speaker 1: Yes, but you did the eight miles. I did, but it was like I overdid it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: Do you still run? Do you still running nowadays? I don't really run that much.
Speaker 3: And maybe it wasn't eight miles now that I'm thinking about it, i'd have been more like five miles.
Speaker 1: That's still a lot of Yeah, great, something like that I do.
Speaker 3: I do a lot of yoga and I've kept up on that so I can still Yeah, I'm still pre rega, but I don't run that much.
Speaker 1: I should do it more, but but not that much.
Speaker 4: Is Jonah's really I know I say this all the time, but Jonah's really good at yoga. And when we both lived in New York, we would do yoga classes together sometimes and the teachers were so into like look at how Jonah's doing it, like like, oh Jonah.
Speaker 1: Can you do this? Can you do that?
Speaker 2: And I'd be like, uh, he's not the only Bayer here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, but did you get any attention? Did you ever get a Vanessa? Great job? Oh? Almost.
Speaker 4: That's why it was starring is because I'm used to getting tons of attention.
Speaker 1: But with a yoga I mean, oh, with.
Speaker 4: The yoga, yeah, a little bit, maybe because maybe because at the time I was on SNL, so maybe like I get like a little bit of like, good job, Vanessa, But it wasn't really doing a good job. I'm not athletic at all. I'm so bad at every sport and stuff such.
Speaker 1: Yogas. That's that's hard. Are you a yoga person or tried it. I've tried it. Yeah, I'm not good at it, and I but you get better at it, right, I'm sure? Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is there anything you like to do for kind of fitness stuff or no?
Speaker 1: I uh, not in a long time. But I like walking. I mean I like walking, and I find that when you walking, it just it's a great way to I think, come up with like songs and ideas. Yeah, yeah, you know what I mean. But I hadn't exercised in like the longest time, and I went hiking. I don't know what happened. I think I peaked physically in September. I had like three weeks where I was like recently. It was so crazy. It was three weeks I hadn't exercising, luck and I had like three weeks where I was like I don't know what is happening, but like this is what I've been waiting for my whole life. Like I'm not tired. I can help everyone else. You need you mean to help me, I'll help you carry that, no problem you. I'll run them, I'll grab it, no problem. Like I was just like I was like I had so much energy and I don't know what I was like, what is happening to me? And like I was talking to people on the phone, They're like how are am? Like can I say? I think this is I've never been better. I don't know what's happening. And I would go on these heights and I would go on these walks and like I so I had a look at a little folder in my phone because I'd be walking like I just having like every idea. It was like possible idea about a motorcycle that has a built in shower. Everything was like right there for the tation. Wow, I could like bike. I would like walk past few people and they'd be like, yeah, I know you put a wrench in, Like put a rench, I possible name for playing one act play put just like everything and then At the end of the three weeks, I got really tired and I just took a nap. And when I woke up from that, I had no more enthusiasm on that level and I haven't since I don't know what. And it went away. Wow, But it was like it was amazing, Like this three weeks of just like firing on every cylinder. I just was like, I get it. I get it. I get it. Yes, I get it. I get it. I get I get every I get why people have felt this way. I get what we're talking about. I get life. I get it. Like I'm understanding now, this is life amazing. It was wonderful and yeah, and I have like I look back on my notes section in my folder and it's like and it just kind of ends, and they're not very good ideas either. And I would come back and tell my wife. I'm like, give a second. She's like, yeah, okay, just imagine, okay, just okay. Here's the craziest thing. I had a coincidence of a lifetime on my hike, Like, but check this out. Like I don't know why, but I'm just thinking this word over and over again. I'm thinking this word over it. The girl later that's the name for dog at the end of the hike like that, and she's like, okay, like that's crazy, right, Like I was just enthusiast. That's that's that's incredible. Well, maybe I'll get it, but also it seems well I will, Yeah, you will get it back.
Speaker 2: You will get it back now.
Speaker 1: But if I don't, it's okay.
Speaker 4: Too, because it seems like the ideas for maybe maybe maybe in retrospect, the ideas, but but I think all ideas are there's no you know.
Speaker 1: I think I overshot it. I think something happened where I was like my overall like soul was like just really like almost felt like caffeinated, yeah or something. And then for three weeks just everything was great and exciting and I was just helpful.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 1: It was incredible. Get up. I was like, make coffee for you, what do you mean to do? You want a sandwich? You got a sandwich food. I'd like make lunches for my kids that were like each one was like customized with like a logo and the bread. Like it was just like I was like I could do this forever. That's incredible, incredible. It was a great time. It was a great time time in my life.
Speaker 2: It sounds sounds amazing. Those were the days, so then they were recent.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's September, September one to the eighteenth. Wow, I have the whole thing. I could see it on my phone. Amazing.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I wanted to bring up something that when we did that movie The Polka King together, something that you taught me. Maybe you were going through another three week, but what you taught me was you remember we were all staying at this hotel, and you taught me you could. I never thought of going online shopping and ordering stuff to the hotel, right, and you would do that and you sort of taught me to do it.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, I taught you to do it. Wow, I never thought to do it.
Speaker 4: And I remember I got these shoes from I got these shoes on sale, these like Vince shoes, and I just ordered him right to the hotel.
Speaker 1: I know, it's crazy. The uh yeah, you need me to stop the com you were in such a role and no, and there was but you mean just like setting up like a just.
Speaker 4: The idea of like I would always go like, oh I have to wait till I get home to get this thing.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, you don't.
Speaker 4: Jonah and I were talking before this you it seems like you I learned from filming that movie with you that you kind of loved to shop. And we were also saying, you've got a pretty good You're kind of known for your style and to quote Jonah, he said, Jason is known for having a great fashion sense and that's something that we have in common.
Speaker 1: Great. Yeah, well I do like your shirt, John. I can see that your shirt is really nice with your like the collar is a good size. Thank you. Yeah, my wife got me this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah Joan who got you the T shirt you're wearing.
Speaker 3: Vanessa got me this shirt at because gorgeous. I went to school at the college. But cool got the shirt Vanessa film something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh well have you been like fashion or like style? Is that something you got interested in like later in life or were you like that as a kid or how did that kind of.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I haven't bottled any clothes in a long time. But but I but first of all, like you know, I think that just in terms of like ordering stuff on the flip side. You know, we were in Rhode Island, which has a lot of there were a lot of really great bookstores, and and that was one thing that like, you know, I kind of feel like it was a great I thought it was a good balance of like, you know, there's nothing I think more fun than just like going and and and just looking around, you know what I mean, Like and and there were great clothing like thrift clothing and secondhand stores, and I think that more than anything. I think it's just like the just kind of looking around at things. Yeah, kind of like if you're on a beach, just like looking for like seashells, like yeah, it's sorted, just like oh they're one. Like it's not even something that you are setting out to to want, right, but you just think, you know, and like just seeing stuff and learning about it, and and especially with books, yeah there. I mean I didn't buy a lot of books, but I took a lot of photos of books. That's my move too. I do that a lot. Well, great big one yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I take photos and them like I'm gonna buy this or take teck in the library later, but then I never look at the photos again. Yeah right, make a fold folder folder, but yeah, I never make folders actually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah I don't really either, but I'm talking to myself when I say that, I can I see myself. But yeah, i'd also think like with that with ordering things. Definitely certain things I love. I mean I definitely was in a phase too then. And you know, I just you know, I love a little something waiting for you when you get back.
Speaker 2: It is so fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I and I you know, tipic for me, it's like a mute, like a little a cable or you know, it's not like yeah, just like nuts, but but a piece of you know, a thing. I but I've I've I've lessened it because I'm finding that I have a lot of the stuff that I'm you want to Yeah, yeah, just tending to just organize it a bit better. But but yeah, I do like to order things. And it's a problem.
Speaker 4: I might be wrong about this. Did I introduce you to Nords? Remember there's a Nord stream area.
Speaker 1: You have to I have the card. I still have the gift card that you bought me. I never used it because I was felt so made me so happy that it's like I don't want to free I want to freeze the moment. So I felt like if I use it, I don't mean that you have money on nothing, but like there's a gift card and just made me happy because uh and that really, you know, more than anything, I think that you introduced me to the idea of the gift card. Oh wow, very much so uh and now it's like a big thing that for a big staple of my gift card. I even buy them for myself. But like, it's just nice to give someone the power to go find something that they might be interested in on your time.
Speaker 2: Well, I you know, I think that I was.
Speaker 1: I had never been given a gift card. I was like from the and yeah, I didn't want to catch it because I was like, I want this to last forever sort of this moment because once it's done, it's just this piece of plastic. But right now it has something in quotes in it there that is you and that is your spirit. That's so nice.
Speaker 4: Well, I will say Nordstrom has great customer service and they will honor that it does. I'm sure it doesn't expire, just just so you know, really, but I I'm sure, But I think I was so sad.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like we've got me onto it though. For sure, you got me into Nordstrom, for sure, But we had a Nordstrom.
Speaker 4: Our mom is crazy at Nordstrom, and we had a Nordstrom came to our neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Like I was probably I'm sure.
Speaker 4: I told you this while we were in Rhode Island, but I was probably like fifteen, and we got a Nordstrom at our mall, and Joan, I don't remember if you remember this, but I don't know if you remember this, but I was. I was part of the Nordstrom Fashion Board, which was basically like a marketing thing they did where they would get like a bunch of teenagers to like you'd come like once every other month and do like a class and you'd learn about like different elements of Nordstrom.
Speaker 2: But then and you'd get like a discount.
Speaker 4: But it was just sort of like a way to like create buzz around the new Nordstrum. But I've always been a pretty big Nordstrom fan and that so when there was a Nordstrom narrow hotel that you could walk to, I thought, this is incredible. Now I will say too, I was only on that movie for like maybe four days. I stayed like an extra day because I liked you guys so much.
Speaker 1: I like you and Jenny slid. Yeah, we were there for like weeks.
Speaker 4: I know I was only there for like four days. I only filmed with you for like four days. Maybe I stayed an extra day. But I must have gotten you gift cards, because Jenny has brought it up to me too.
Speaker 1: I haven't.
Speaker 2: It might seem like I brought it up to ask. That's not why. I don't know, but it is something. No, it's not something I would do.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, but I think I was so sad to leave that I wanted to give you guys something. And you know, Jenny I once because you know, Jenny's like she was visiting here and she was like, thank you for the north from gift card. I have these Air one gift cards that you can use the next time you're air one. She gave me like three Air one gift cards, which was so nice, and I used them in one visit and they got so mad at me because they were also they were all for like one was for like twenty four dollars and twenty two cents, then like the next one was for like eight dollars, and.
Speaker 2: They were like and I was like, and there's one and they're like.
Speaker 1: Oh, so mad at me.
Speaker 4: But it was so because she was like, I don't live, you know, take these air on gift cards?
Speaker 1: Why why were they for those interesting amounts?
Speaker 2: I know, I need to ask her. I need to ask It was.
Speaker 1: Maybe they had more on them at one point and she was using them.
Speaker 4: That's maybe like maybe several people had given her gift cards and she was like, I don't I'm not going to there's value, you know, as you said, there's value in this card.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to use it.
Speaker 1: So but there's something about upsetting also people at a place that's all about us such good vibes. Uh really, it's like weird. You feel like it's like seeing like the bad side of a teacher or something. Yes, totally, Oh my gosh, like I thought you were so you were so nice.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, they're like are you a member of the club? You know, like do you do you get the discount? You know?
Speaker 2: And then and then I'm like, here's these three gift cards in the.
Speaker 1: Like rolling his eyes, yeah, yeah, so funny. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, what gift cards have you bought for yourself? I'm curious about that because that's an interesting move.
Speaker 1: I got, well believe it or not in an Apple gift card. Okay, nice for myself. And and then I got I hate to say, but I got a Target one for myself as well, and partly to do with I buy it for myself. But that is also my daughter, my middle child. You know, she loves like like I always get at and I am stealing. Is this stealing?
Speaker 3: Oh no, I've walked a line throughout my You're not going to make us, so you're probably My answer is probably going to be.
Speaker 1: Now you know when you know at like any store, there's like a not any store, but like at stores at certain sorts, be like a rack of Yes corporations and be like best Buy, Starbucks and the gift cards for to buy it, then you put something on it. Correct, Yes, okay, because we take all I take all those for my daughter, like we stock up on all the different companies, and we've got like Subway, we have all of them because we like to place like supermarket and stuff in her room. And I'm often like it's her market, and so usually I'm paying with credit card, So I use those as my thing, like do you take do you take this? Credit? Do you take this? Yeah? This, she'll take it and like shame. So but they're like they're great for playing with, like fake credit cards. So I take lots of those gift cards. Those gift cards, I don't.
Speaker 2: Put it and you don't put money.
Speaker 1: I think that's but the ones I do. But then now I'm just wondering, like am I stealing? Like there's nothing on them? Is there? Like no, no, no. And then definitely like for my kids, it's like it is a good you know, it's a it's a good present, I think too, especially to get for other I know it sounds fun. I mean that's the thing is like it doesn't seem like a fun thing in the beginning, but when you realize what it is, it really is a kind of a great gift because like Vanessa, it's like basically saying, here, here's go find something. Yeah, yeah, it's just fun. You know.
Speaker 3: I was just picturing like maybe getting like an Amoba gift card or something and got fifty bucks to spend on record, Like what could be better than that?
Speaker 1: I know, that's great.
Speaker 4: We had so much fun hanging out with Jason that we kept talking and talking, so we split our conversation into two episodes.
Speaker 3: Check out part two of our conversation with Jason Schwartzman next week, and remember to like and subscribe the podcast.