Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Fantasy Pros NFL Draft Show. My name is Derek Brown. I'm your host. But look, we got to get into this episode. This week's episode, it's gonna be a blast. Man. We're gonna run through our guys of this NFL Draft class and I'm gonna start this off real fast. Yes, Thori is here, he's in the building. Yeah, that's great, that's grand and usual. But I gotta lead this off. We have got a massive guest, the first guest of the Fantasy Pro's NFL Draft Show. We have John middlecoll from the Volume Network. John, what's going on man? And I'm gonna throw this at you real fast because look, the people we talked about you and tease this entire episode last week on the show, and so people look go back to that episode. You could hear some of the Middleclaugh's background and stuff. But John, we told people about where you come from, where you've been and stuff. But I want you to lay this out for the people. Man, how did you get into talking about sports and how did that all lay out?
Speaker 2: It's funny when you introduce yourself and someone asks you what do you do? You know it's easy when you like I assurance or I sell cars, or you know, I own a hospital.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: When you're like I'm a podcaster, they look at you weird.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Forever I was like, you know, I kind of radio. Now I just say, hey, I'm a podcaster. I you know. I it goes back to college. I started working in football, and but before when I first got to I went to cal Pauly. I don't know if you know Ramsey's Barden, remember the big wide receiver I played for the Giants and Chris Gokong who got drafted in the third round by the Eagles. You know, D one double A program, not great, but it had some NFL guys over Ausa Jackson, who I think played for the Ravens. So I've had a few guys over the years. And you know, my first couple of years, I thought I was gonna work in finance. I was just there as a student, and I slowly got involved with the athletic program, which led to the football program. And it wasn't like going to Alabama or USC where you got to be in a line with like eight hundred kids just to get your foot in the door. They like handed me a whistle on the first day of like spring practice, and I was helping them do drills and I really helped with recruiting, and then from that I went to Fresno State. It wasn't like when I was with the Eagles and I worked with Howie Roseman and some other guys. It was like they knew they wanted to be a GM, either when they were done playing or like when they were young. You know, that wasn't necessarily for me, like most people, I love football, but it kind of organically happened. And then I got a recruiting GA at Fresno State. You know, now, you guys fall college football so closely. All these programs have like gms and personnel departments that did not really exist in like eight nine. Obviously at Fresno State, but even at the USCS with Pete Carroll, they had like a director of football. Now these programs. One of my buddies, Derek Ray, who was with me at Fresno State, is the GM of Florida State, you know, with a crew of people working for him. And when I was with the Eagles, ed Manowitz, who was the GM of Alabama, and these guys are all over the place, which is cool. But when I was at Fresno State, it was like we were getting the buses, the food, it was the recruiting board, anything with the players, the assistant coaches, it was God had your hands. It was probably a little throwback old school, which was awesome. And I got to meet all the scouts in the NFL. And we obviously had guys getting drafted over the years at President State, but Ryan Matthews right when I got there, was a sophomore and then his junior year, and he clearly was a pretty special talent, and you know, by midway through his junior year it was clear he was going to go really high in the draft. So the amount of GMS and scouts and you just got to meet them all, it was like, I want to work in the NFL.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I grew up a big forty nine er fan, and Buddy on the Eagles had told me they had an opening. It was one of those things Pat Hill called Andy Reid, interviewed and then just worked for the Eagles for a couple of years. And then my third year, Daniel Jeremiah, who was on our staff when I got there, had left right he was kind of tired I think of the of the lifestyle, and he went to NFL Network and most people in the building I worked in the office, you know, they're East Coast people. I was like, I want to go back west. I'm a West Coast guy. And I got the job. And then Andy was fired and I got out of it, and that I took on this career. But it was I was pretty lucky. You know, you don't get to I would have worked for any team, and I got a chance to, you know, be around Andy and Howie and Veach and a lot of guys. And obviously that coaching staff had, you know, from Matt Naggie who was a head coach, Sean McDermott head coach, Todd Bowles head coach, a lot of hell David Kelly was a head coach for a year, you know, yeah, and a lot.
Speaker 1: Of should have been longer than a year. Just thrown it out there, but should have been longer.
Speaker 2: So you know, it was Dom Desandro, who's now a legend. So we had a lot of legends around that building.
Speaker 4: John, those those three years, with the egos that you spent scouting and evaluating and different stuff like that, give the audience an idea of what it is like to be inside of an NFL building every day, what it's like to be in topically, did this conversation that we're having what it's like to be inside of an NFL draft process, and then also talk about what your role was specifically with the Eagles those couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think when you first get there, whether it's a coach, when I got there, Matt Naggi was like the lowest guy on the totem pole, and so was Duce Daley on the coaching staff, and I was that in the personnel department, you kind of just do whatever needs to get done. Obviously, you know, if you're a coach, you'd love to call plays. If you were me, you'd love to set the draft board. But it's a lot of you know, taking players to physicals, just doing anything. I did anything basically Howie Roseman needed, whether it was boards, printouts, anything. I mean, you can't even get hell to go, like, you know, he doesn't have time to go get his laundry right. So and then from there you kind of graduate into being a scout. I mean you technically are then, but you're not. It's not like you get watching tape and no one cares what you're saying about players. But then from there, as you earn your stripes, you kind of gradually and you're doing a lot of helping out the assistant coaches, which is cool. During the season you're like really inundated with the grind of you know, I helped out the special teams coach doing things like, you know, the weather on a weekly basis, keeping them updated, injuries, keeping them updated, working with both coordinators, so you feel like you're just kind of part of the operation. And then as you graduate to kind of like the next level, you know, you start advancing opponents you know of just again you're not telling the coaching staff exactly what plays to run, but just giving them a beat on how guys are playing, tendencies for a team, write ups, you know, strengths and weaknesses of players, especially with non common opponents. It's easier with you know your divisional opponents, you know them so well. But when you're playing like if you're the Eagles and you're playing like the Cincinnati Bengals who you play once every four years and stuff like that, so kind of traveling on the road. And then my third year I did college, so I was really probably more involved in free agency the first couple of years in terms of the board and keeping track of everything for Howie, and then by my third year, I was out on the road basically doing from Washington down to Arizona far as El Paso. You know, the West coast has less schools than the South or even probably the North, but it's spread out, you know, so you just a lot of long hours in the car from Arizona State to Utah to USC But it was awesome. And then Andy got fired that year, Chip came in and my NFL run came to an end. But I got to do, you know, be in the office, I got to be on the road. I got to be around all these guys, the Super Bowl champions and head coaches. So it was pretty incredible just the way life worked out.
Speaker 4: You have a very unique perspective of someone who was spending years behind the Wizard of Oz curtain inside of an NFL building and being a part of all these different processes, and now you're a part of the media on the other side of it. So I'm curious with both of those perspectives what you see now as the biggest misnomer that the public has about the NFL draft process as it actually happens within NFL buildings. Well, what's the one thing that the public's just wrong about?
Speaker 2: I would say that the public even slashed the media, you know, like hot takes and conversations about players, the conversations that you and I would have over JJ McCarthy or Blake Korm or any you name any good prospect or hell. I mean, you guys are really into the weeds talking about like six round er. So I'm probably not as in depth on that nowadays, But those conversations are happening in the building twenty four to seven three season, but you're just constantly talking about players and coaches. I mean that they're having the same conversations. Now. The opinions differ from person to person, just like they do for us, right, but the conversations now that the one thing that's a lot different inside than it is outside. And I've always thought the media can be very disingenuous about the character stuff. You know, we're talking about thirty forty million dollar investments. It's you know, if you were buying a forty million dollar business, you know there was just you know that sold processors. You would do an in depth study of everything about that business. So different with a player, they just happen to be a person and the character. It's easy when the guy is a high character guy. You don't even need like whatever like Drake may or you know, you name the player, but a lot of players and it's not necessarily like he's been arrested three times, right, it's just yeah, he's got some issues, you know, and you just have to figure out is this a serious thing? Is this something that can improve? You know, he doesn't get along with a coach. Let's say, well, is that is it? The coach's fault? Is his fault? He's not a great team. You just got to do a lot of research. And it's impossible to quantify it really is, because I say it like Tyron Matthew, guy was kicked out of school. He's been a team captain of four teams. Larry Fitzgerald's like, yeah, he's the leader. You never know, And we've seen a lot of examples, and I just think this time of year, it actually doesn't feel like this draft has a lot of like kind of wild card people. I mean, it happens. It feels like most years, but it feels like a little tamer of this year. Just at least we still got a month ago, so you never know. Some stories could come flying, but that's always an I mean, Jalen Carter is a great example, Like it's now his thing was public, so it was hard for anyone to kind of push back. But some of this stuff in these programs just aren't public. I mean they're able to cover it up. They're able to it just doesn't come out, but it doesn't mean it didn't happen, right, And that's where the other curveball. Now that's way different than when I was there, Like, some of these guys are used to making a lot of money now, because one question we'd often ask and you had to dive into with any good prospect, was like how are they going to handle money and fame. It's like Caleb's like, yeah, I've been making like nine million dollars the last two years. I'm a millionaire. I'm gonna make more now, but I'm I'm already rich. So I think a lot of the top guys, especially the quarterbacks, right like you know, Bo Nicks, Michael Pennix, I mean, all these guys at least reported. It's hard, you know, some of the numbers that get reported. You talk to people in the NFL, They're like, yeah, I'm not sure those numbers, right. I think it's pretty true. With the quarterbacks, they were making a lot. So you don't have to wonder, like I wonder how Bo Nicks or Michael Pennix will handle their first check. It's like, well, yeah, both made a combined three and a half million dollars last year on a college campus. We're relative to their new teammates, right, I mean, they were way richer than everybody walking on the University of Washington or the University of Oregon.
Speaker 4: Last question for me about your background with the Egos before we, you know, get into the talking about specifically about the prospects, and I hope you're able to answer this, but if you're not, you know, however, I'm curious, you know, like stacking these boards over the years, I can distinctly remember, you know, my hits and then also of my missus. I'm curious when with your time with Eagles, especially in that latter part where you're going onto the campuses, you're watching the kids up close, and then you're doing the video cross checks, and then, like you mentioned, the process of we're all in the building, we all have different opinions on guys, we're gonna give it, and then that how we In that case, he has to sort of mediate these conversations and then parce out, you know what, what he finds to be reality at the end of the day, and then you see the draft board. I'm curious if there's any one one prospect that you would point back to where you put, you know, stump for him, or you pounded the table. You had a conviction and you turned out to be right on the other side of Is there any one example from you?
Speaker 2: I actually remember when I was a pro scout, and it's hard when you're young. You know, it's easier the longer you're in a building, and the better your relationship is if you've been there to really do the pound the table. I mean, you know, most of the guys in their twenties aren't telling Andy Reid or Howie, But I there was I forget the league, it was the U or the XFL. But Andrew sin Diejo who played for the Vikings for a long yes, and I remember watching him and I was like, God, this guy's He was making a ton of plays in this The league lasted a year. I forget the exact name of the league, but he was on like the Sacramento Mountain Lions or something, and I remember telling Luce Ridck, I'm like, this guy can play. Now he was I think he was from Rice. You know, I was at the combine talking to some buddies on the staff, like this guy didn't even have a write up in the system, and he probably wasn't written up in a lot of systems. In twenty twenty four, most players are probably written up even if they stink that they're just in the system. So it's been a lot more automated with technology. But he didn't even exist in the system. And you know, I didn't have that much pull. It's not like my words went long, but whatever, eight nine, ten year career later, and it was a starter on some of those really good Vikings defense. I mean, he was just a solid player. But relative to where you could find him, you know, I think in the draft, right, it's really for a scout. It's not gonna be the Nick Bosas or the you know, the league neighbors or whoever, like the top guy everyone's talking about those guys. You do kind of make your money on pounding the table when you go through a school, for like George Kittle in the fifth or Brock Purty in the seventh. Like hey, cause you're saying, like, listen, we all understand this guy's not going to go in the first two days of the draft, but we should take this guy, right And that's where I think because your intimate relationship of going it's not even just I went through Iowa this year. I've been going through Iowa his entire career. Like I know everything. I know the coaching staff really well. I know all these people in the or you can pick any player you know that fits that, Max Crosby, whoever. You know, guy's third day, which, let's face it is littered the league of starting players. You know, guys in the fifth, sixth, seventh round, which is the most boring time for the average fan when they're turning on the TV on Saturday. But like we look back in three years and you get a ton of credit for that, you know, because because ultimately, let's just pick a team. Let's say the Arizona Cardinals stay at four and they take Molik Neighbors or Marvin Harrison and he becomes awesome. It's like, yeah, it's a really good pick. But it's like, yeah, I mean, it's not that complicated. But if you get the equivalent of think about like the debo AJ Brown DK Metcalf in the second round, you just do get more credit as a GM Like Nick Bose is one of the forty nine ers best players. He's a number two pick on the draft, right, So I there's you do have to figure that out though, because you're allocating so much money and the power of that pick if you can trade back. So I'm not trying to diminish like it's it's it's necessarily easier because it's it's easier in the sense you get to see, like you're dealing with the best players. But there is more pressure because of the money and because of the opportunity cost of moving picks. But like you really make your hay and after pick like one hundred if because if you can hit on a couple of those guys, you get like two guys that start on your team. What if one makes a Pro Bowl and they're making like eight hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's really where it reels it out.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I love that you brought that up, John, because especially the last few draft classes, the ones off the top of my head that I could think of where teams have really separated themselves. Like we could talk about the Rams class from last so we could talk about Poko, we could talk about all the defensive guys they hit on where they're walking out of last class, and everybody used to make the jokes about, oh, well the Rams just give all their picks away. Well, they smashed last class, so when they keep their picks, they're doing real, pretty freaking good with their selections as well as I think it was what two two or three years that, No, it's longer than that. The Saints class where they got Kamara, they got like half their starts seventeen I think. Yeah, like every single pick was a home run. They were just hitting dingers left and right.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: It's like that's where NFL franchises, and we talk about the Eagles, you know, where they pick up these middle round guys and they end up being full time starters, Pro Bowl guys. Guys were that vastly out play the rookie contracts. And that's really why we wanted to bring you on and talk about our guys of this GENEFL draft class man, because there's a laundry list of guys and we're gonna run through our top guys. So we're picking one guy from quarterback, running back, wide receiver, and tight end. And I think we have a really good mix of names here. Guys that are gonna go at the top of the board, some guys that are gonna go middle and late, especially considering the outward thoughts on the tight end class after Brock Powers and the running back class man. But I won't pander too much longer here, John lead us off here, man, let's get into quarterbacks. Who is your guy? If you're gonna stick your neck out this year and say this is the quarterback I really want a team to draft and I believe in.
Speaker 2: Well, let me preface it by this is pretty clear this guy is not considered to be in the top group. And you know it's hard with quarterback inflation. Does the guy fall to the second round? But I watched Michael Pennix for two years and if you're telling me I get that guy in the second round, and I thought, like, he's clearly a pocket quarterback, which he the red flags are fair, the injuries. When he first got to Indiana, he was a dual threat guy. And then you get injured. You get injured, and obviously you come to Washington and you know they were kind of pumping their chest. They had the best offensive line. It was clear Michigan was but their offensive line relative to the Pac twelve was awesome. And he didn't get touched when you have like got sacked eleven times, but he didn't move that much because he didn't have to. So when I comped, and again it's an easy one because they're both left handed. But the thing with Tua is sometimes you see these little guys, and most little guys you know, have been like Kyler Murray or Russell Wilson, like they're athletes, and then you're like, well, some other little guys or smaller guy like Baker Mayfield is a pocket quarterbacks. He's not a scrambler though sometimes out of like polsplays out of his ass and scrambles around, but that's not his style. Bryce Young definitely not a scramble like. He's a pocket player. He's a core and Tua definitely is too. Now, Tua never ran right, because he hurt his hip at Alabama so in the in the process. But I'll promise you this, even pre the hip injury, tool was not running a four or five five and definitely not jumping thirty six and a half inches. So Michael Penix is a really good athlete. So if you're telling me, I can get this guy who's had this level of cess for two years, again, this is pretty icatd Like I understand, like I couldn't take him super high. But if we're talking about a guy who's there at like thirty three or even maybe late in the first round, you're a team that trades up and I get this guy on that you know, that five year contract that I don't know, man, I it speaks for itself. The deep ball accuracy. It did concern me when he got injured, not injured, but like hit against Michigan and Oregon, who I would say there are two more physical teams he played. He looked like he was struggling by the end of the game to like get up off the field. So obviously the NFL is really physical, but that could Jane Daniels two hundred and ten pounds give me a break. He weighs one hundred and finety five pounds. I mean, I just look at the guy, and again, he's obviously a much more athletic guy in terms of explosive can run away. But it's sometimes the wait's fake. I'll never forget a scout telling me when he went to the way in for Bryce Young. He's like, that dude waddled up there. I don't know what was in his body creating the pasta. And then he said, I think he waddled right to the bathroom. After which is wait and wait at some positions, like I remember DeVante Smith when the Eagles drafted him.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I talked to a buddy that does the SEC. I'm like, god, this guy's like one hundred and fifty five pounds. I mean, what was he like one sixty eight or whatever he was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was like, I'm not touching the scale, baby.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this guy's gonna play in the NFL, and he's like John, this has always been a size and he's played against the best players in the country, not just in the conference, but in practice every day. He knows how to use it and he's not this isn't nineteen ninety seven where John Lynch is waiting for you across the middle, but at quarterback, I think it was pretty clear and I'm not trying to play revisionist history here, Like I was anti this guy. I thought Bryce Young was really good. But it didn't take long. A couple of weeks in You're like this, this guy looks tiny. How is this gonna work? And it's like, Kyler is small, but he's built and he can fly. He's got a huge arm, Like you watch him Bryce, Like where are the traits?
Speaker 1: So yeah, you gotta have the superpowers. Man. If you're gonna be a little bit shorter and then you're gonna play from the pocket, you have to have some of those superpowers. It's like, how are you gonna cape up? How are you going to win from the pocket and win on certain plays?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And that's where I think the Penix Pro Day was eye opening, just in like this guy's a big time athlete because we've just been talking about him like a pocket quarterback, like he's Jared Goff for TUA or something. It's like, well, this guy can really run. And I'm not saying they're gonna ask him to do that consistently, but he has it in the bag. So if you're talking about a guy that you can get and who know, I don't know where you guys think he ends up going, but between like thirty and forty five, Like, that's pretty good value for a guy that's done with Yeah, I was gonna ask you.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask you, do you think he makes it into the first round because I've seen him mocked anywhere depending on what you're looking at around the industry, him going top fIF team, Like I'm seeing him him going in the middle of the first round of the Raiders. I've seen him fall to the second round?
Speaker 2: Where do you think he gets into the the four guys go in some order one through four. That's four quarterbacks off the board. So who else these other teams that need a quarterback? If the Raiders, what's Sean Payton gonna do? Just play with Jered Sidham and.
Speaker 1: Some other random Like we have an anxiety attack for most of the first round. Is that what I'm guessing.
Speaker 2: I think it's definitely in play now because of some of the variables of his injury history. He I guess he could fall, but we have seen I listen, I don't know where you guys stood on these two guys, but Kenny Pickett mac Jones I thought, historically are like third fourth round picks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were not big on Kenny Pickett. I can definitely say I know Thor wasn't either. I don't know where he sat on mac Jones, but I was not a picket guy. I was like, look, this is a team burning a first round pick. You're putting yourself in a quarterback purgatory. Crazy, And that's the worry. Like when you get into these positional talks and it's like the quarterbacks are going to go higher, then some of them are justified or should you know, Like we could talk about where Penix goes, where bo Nicks goes in the draft, and and should Nis be a first round second round guy, like I've got a third round grade on him, you know, but where these guys go in the draft is definitely up for debate.
Speaker 2: So we all agree, like Penix's skill set relative to those two guys who went twenty and fifteen is far superior.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, Penis can run circles, literally run circles and throw the ball like.
Speaker 2: You could also come back as like, well, I hope. So it's like Mac Jones and Kenny Pickett, which is true, but you do have to this is part of the draft kind of comp where other guys have gone factor in that. This draft, you know, it's not super loaded a certain positions, so beside the quarterbacks, wide receivers and the tackles, Like it's not like there's a million Miles Garretts and Nick Bosas sitting there. Doesn't feel like there's Sauce Gardner and Stingley and all these corners. So you got to factor that into. Like, to me, the thing I love most about the draft, the older I get, it's like a it's like an economic exercise. It's not just about like we think this guy is going to be really good, But what price do I have to pay to get the guy that I think is gonna be really good? Because if and this is where coaches in front office people butt heads, right, They're like, just take my guy now. It's like we can get him in twenty picks, so let's try to just trade back like ten, get an extra fourth rounder and still get the same guy. And that's where it's it's a fine line to play. It's why the best gms don't just know how to evaluate the best players. But like and I was around Howie, he's manipulating the draft And a lot of these guys now exist, right Minnesota's guy Andrew Barry some of the more number centric guy that's key, but you also to nowhere to go. You also have to understand like the talent and the draft and who likes who. So there's so many variables. But it's more than just well, let's just draft this guy because is gonna be a good player. Well could you get this guy around later? Because if you could, then that's a terrible draft pick. Well in terms of value, in terms of value of your pick, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Agree, And that's what I think. Is another like interesting storyline of this is now we're gonna get to the wide receivers on this episode. But this is a really deep class for tackles and wide receivers.
Speaker 2: So are you.
Speaker 1: Gonna go the the elite top shelf guys at the top of the draft? Are you gonna trade back and then try to like fill out your wide receive because a lot of these teams need wide receivers. Are they gonna try to fill those needs in Round two? And some of the guys we're gonna talk about that, maybe maybe go round three. But I know we've talked about Michael Pennix on previous episodes and stuff. And look, I'm not trying to bury because I know you're you're chomping in the bit to sit here and bring up JJ McCarthy man. But quick thought some pinnicks because I know we've talked about at least some of the concerns about his game, and the testing was fantastic. His ability to run the forty and go out there and jump and show teams that he has the mobility some of the times we didn't see that at Washington. But what are your thoughts on him, because I know we've talked on previous episodes, and I'm curious John's thoughts on it about his ability to play from the pocket. But if he's pushed off his spot, what does that look like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 4: When I was on John Show a couple of weeks ago on the volume, we talked a little bit about the NFL combine props and debro you and I we are heavy in the NFL combine forty prop market. One of the picks that I put out that drew the most raised eyebrows was when I went under Michael Pennix's forty number, which was initially I think even in low four sevens, and then we.
Speaker 1: Got four sevens last time we saw it.
Speaker 4: Well the last time, so it got pushed down into the four to sixes and I was even going under at the mid four six is the day that he was going to test. Obviously, he ended up not doing that at the combine, but again people.
Speaker 3: Were very surprised.
Speaker 4: But what I had heard in his pre combined testing the training down there, that he was dusting that number, that he was consistently running in the four fives, which it was a surprise to people out there. I think the eventual number that he put out at the prodage just because you didn't see him running as much at Washington. I think there's a couple of reasons for that. But you know, John mentioned this before when he went to Indiana, he was a good athlete coming out. He was seen as a dual threat guy. I still do you guys remember the COVID season when they upset Penn State and he runs around, he has to reach the ball out at the goal line. That kid made some plays outside the pock more so at Indiana. I think one of the factors why he didn't do so as much at Washington two factors. One it's the Boris system, but number two, I think there was a little bit of protecting him the durability stuff. First four years at Indiana he had a season ending injury each time. Washington effectively protected him in that regard, both with the awesome offensive line. John was mentioning, We're going to see a bunch of Washington Husky offensive lineman going off the board this year in the draft. But you know you had that and then as well, you sort of inoculate him from that. But yeah, I don't have I don't have as many concerns about that, but I think you do need to keep him inside the pocket. You see a little bit of the depreciation with the accuracy when his feet are moving. I'll be interested to see at the next level will they allow him to leave the pocket more like they did in Indiana because he can get north south real quick, and now he has proven that that even after the injuries, he still has that. But can you do that while still protecting him health wise? I guess he'll be the big.
Speaker 2: Thing I'm not comparing him to this guy because obviously he had an incredible rookie season. He was awesome in college too. But when CJ had that game against Georgia and it was clearly like, Wow, this guy's a really, really good athlete. I think it just makes you view a player who is a pocket player and then it's like, well, he really can move if he has to, Like one thing, like Jered Goff has turned his career around, for sure, but he is very dependent on the offensive line the protection, Like he can't. You know, it's like it's like cousins, Like if you get to him, he can't get away. He's just relative to you know, not human beings. But NFL players like they're just bad athletes, so they can't. They can't. They don't have that capability. It's very old school and that player for the most part coming into the league doesn't really exist anymore. Right, Most guys have some movement skills. Like even like I said, Bryce Young is not a good athlete relative to a lot of NFL players, he still can move right, but he's I wouldn't consider him like mister scramble guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're gonna see I mean every one of these prospects. Regardless of position, they win in different ways. We know Pennis is going to have to win from the pocket. But a guy that Thor we've talked about, and you're a guy for the quarterback situation that can playoff script has shown that he's a better athlete than people give him. Let's talk about the three cone. But come on, man, go ahead, lay out the love list, the love letter. Go ahead, take the pen out. I know you want to sit are and write it right now for JJ McCarthy, floor's yours, dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I know everyone's surprised that my guy quarterback shock K McCart totally shocking. I finally had time to get my dentists appointment in on Friday and and the guy comes, you know, first the dentalist system brings you in and they do whatever they do. And then she's like, you know, I'll go and get the dentist. And then he comes in and he starts in there for a second and then he goes, are you the JJ McCarthy guy.
Speaker 1: No, he didn't, Are you serious?
Speaker 3: Swear to God? And I was like, I guess, I guess I am.
Speaker 4: And he's like I thought, so so I guess that that's what I am now. But this shouldn't be any surprise anyone. I've waxed poetic about JJ on these airways multiple times, so I'll keep my comments short. Good athlete, very good arm. Both of those things were confirmed at the Combine as if they needed to. They're all over his film. Favorite thing about his projection to the NFL. Those two things work in conjunction on the field. There's guy Joe Milton would be a good example of a guy who has a bazooka for an arm. He's an awesome athlete. Those things absolutely do not work in conjunction with one another on the field. They do with JJ McCarthy. JJ McCarthy, when he's moving around, gets even more dangerous, throws frozen ropes to all three sectors up the field. The mechanics are always sound when he's on the move, keeps the eyes down field, keeps the upper body he cocked, keeps that throwing platform under him so he can get the ball up quick when he makes the decisions. Seventy two point three percent completion percentage last year and the aggregate but win scrambling seventy one point four percent. Which is pretty absurd, not losing anything off of that win. Moving tough kid A sort of a nuance about his film that I really appreciated. A lot of quarterback film that you see when the guy's about to get deck.
Speaker 3: This is even going to the NFL.
Speaker 4: You will see in some small way that they will brace for that hit or they'll fade away a little bit. Very very rare instances where you get a quarterback film where the guy never does he steps fully into that throw and he will eat the shot every single time. JJ McCarthy's that guy that helps his accuracy, of course under duress, and his ability under duress, and of course he is one of the better quarterbacks in this class under pressure. By the numbers, the adjusted completion percentage, the on target percentage. Last year he is number five in the nation and on target accuracy percentage, a lot of stuff to like about it. Projection to the NFL been pounding the table the whole time. This is a top five prospect in the draft, and it appears that that's what's going to happen later this month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, I've been with you. We've been riding on the JJ McCarthy training before it was cool. I mean, we got takes out there since February. Man, we were talking about JJ betting the odds for him to go second overall, betting the odds for him to go third overall, and everybody said we were crazy at that time. Doesn't look so crazy now. But John, before I give my guy, because we already brought up Jayden Daniels at least off the cuff a little bit here, what are your thoughts on JJ, because I haven't heard your JJ McCarthy take.
Speaker 2: I looked at some of his testing numbers. You know, I watched him play like anyone in the last couple of years, because Michigan has been one of the best teams in the country. And when you just watch him in a vacuum sometimes like on your couch, you go. The conversation has changed, I would say over the last couple months in terms of the universal like he's going to go really high. I didn't necessarily see a top ten player. But when you factor in age, when you factor in what he was asked to do. He said his numbers in situational spots. He had some athletic testing numbers that were very, very similar to Alex Smith. Now Alex was taller, but one element that he has that Alex he has a much stronger arm. Like if I gave Alex, let's use Alex as an example. Let's use the picture analogy, Like Alex was a pitcher, but he threw eighty nine miles an hour and he was solid like he was getting Imagine if Alex Smith had thrown ninety four to ninety five right, so he would have been everyone would have agreed he's a top seven eight quarterback. So yeah, I mean, I think if you do the and I text with a couple of scouting buddies, that like, that's a pretty good comp So he's a more powerful Alex Smith. Obviously the character stuff ironically played for Harbaugh as well, But yeah, I mean, I think this guy is a one percent lock to go really high. I think the only question mark is would Adam Peters take him at two over Drake may or you know, Jade Daniels is kind of no one quite has a good feel for it. I guess it could be any of the three guys, and then how it would go, Like no one had any clue what New England's going to do, because they've had the same guy running it for twenty five years. Now they got new people that have never done that job, so nothing would shock me. And it's pretty clear Arizona's going to trade back, so he go anywhere from two to four. But I think it's pretty clear he's going somewhere between two and four, right, Yep, agreed.
Speaker 1: I mean I think, like we've said from the very beginning of the process, like he's probably gonna be a top eight lock. Probably really now it's looking like top five. And whether we think like four quarterbacks just go bam bam bam bam him off the board, or New England trades back and we said that they've been a fantastic them in Arizona is where you want to trade into. Like if the Chargers don't trade back, and there's all the speculation, I think any one of those teams. I think the top two teams are locked into their spots. They're both going to take quarterbacks. But after that, we'll kind of see how the board evolves. It could kind of go chalk and we see all the quarterbacks fly. We could see a lot of trades and stuff. Man, But the guy that I think is going to go off the board no later than number top three again. And I love his fit. I think he's probably gonna go to Washington and we've been discussing that in the fit with Cliff Kingsbury and my guy's Jane Daniels.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: I love him in this process. I love his game. I love the evolution that he's taken on as a player and the growth and everybody's first thing about Okay, what about the pressure to sack ratio and all these different types of things. It's like we need to also throw some of the stuff for Arizona, like Arizona State out, Like just toss that out, man, because players continue to evolve their games and situations change, and it's you know, we want to knock okay, Jane Daniels because he played with really talented players. Didn't we do this with C. J. Stroud? Didn't we do this with Joe Burrow? Like if you're watching the film and you can tell what is good quarterback play versus okay, who's elevating who? And I'm not saying that Jane Daniels is pulling these guys along for the ride, but Brian Times Junior is a very talented ride receiver in his own right. Is he the type of talent that where I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve to go in the first round, but is he this other worldly talent like Rome or top three and stuff. No, I think he's a little more limited of a player. And I think Jane Daniels deserves all the hype that he's getting, man, like the duplicity in his game, what he can do to change the equation with both his legs and his arm, and I think that he can win first of all, from the pocket is where you're talking about. You're giving defensive coordinators at the NFL all these different types of equations to solve for on a moment to moment basis, and Jane Daniels makes it tough, man, because all the things he can do from the pocket. Now, I know you brought up his weight earlier. I mean, yet that's a big concern. It's a big concern because of the style of how he runs, and there's enough clips and things out on social media of him getting blown up, blown out of his shoes when he's running through the middle and stuff. But I mean some of that can we come down of, Like maybe it's coaching and can you teach a guy. Okay, maybe you should run out of bounds here, maybe you should slide instead of getting absolutely just blown out of the stadium. But for I know you love Jane Daniels, but what are your thoughts on him? Do you think he deserved like, do you think he's definitely locked into the top two spots or could you see Washington going with JJ overhim?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I agree with the odds boards that it is a true three horse race at this point for the number two peck.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, I think all the three of those guys are still in consideration.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And you know, the thing to.
Speaker 4: Keep in mind with the NFL draft process, and John knows this that these decisions aren't made way way way in advance like that. You know, you all the different people inside the building, they bring their perspectives on these different guys. Those conversations will be hashed out. I would be surprised if if mister Peters and the Washington organization they one thousand percent new today. There might be a lean of some of those top decision makers. But I still believe that it is a three horse race there and they are actively evaluating those three different guys.
Speaker 1: Well, moving over to running backs, John, I love the fact that we're a very Michigan centric show today. A guy that has been talked about a lot through the process. I'm very curious where he goes in the n draft. There's been a lot of Okay, well, does a certain team with a certain head coach that loves to run the ball draft him in the second of the third round. But your guy at the running back position is Blake koram Man. What are your thoughts on him and where do you see him going in the NFL draft? Like lay out the case here for us Man.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously he's not very big. You know, when he measures in, it's kind of, you know, glaring, small arms short, but you know he to me, he had his receiving numbers probably don't parallel this guy, but a lot like Frank Gore was to Jim when he was with the forty nine ers. He got that's my exact comp for Korum, that's my exact comp. I love it to me, to me, those guys, I mean, what are we talking. We're talking about a pick probably past seventy five, right, so we're not We're not drafting this guy in the second round. Uh, but I just think this guy knows how to play. And running back is one of those positions where you know, we'll talk about my wide receiver who gets knocked for being a little slower, which you know is a fair argument, but running back in terms of like high end speed, like most guys are not Age Peterson home run hitters. Right, it's about making guys miss, It's about falling forward, It's about instinct. Instincts are huge instincts, foot quickness, comfortability in terms of inside outside runs. Obviously in this modern day football, you've got to be able to catch the ball. His receiving numbers aren't great, but I think he has solid hands, Like it's not like it's not like he can't do it. Because if I'm going to drafted guy in the third or fourth round, which easily can immediately become your starter or mix in with your starter, he's got to be able to catch the ball in this the way the football is played now and clearly like and this is a big theme we haven't really touched on. And this the quarterback thing is ten x all these other positions. You know, the character, the football intelligence and from what I mean, the information I have most of these guys at quarterback are definitely good guys. So you're really nitpicking, like who you feel really really comfortable and talking about how the decision hasn't been made. Obviously it hasn't been made at other positions because you're still going through all the scenarios, but at quarterback, you know, you're eating dinner and spending time with the people, and it's pretty clear Blay korm it's just my type guy. I mean, I really value you know, just football junkies. Like that's pretty clear. Most of the great players in the NFL are just there's not much balance in terms of their love and dedication for the sport of football, and there are only so many people in the league that are like Trent Williams or there's so much freakier than everyone else. The margin for difference of the average player and the higher end player, I don't think it's that wide. And to me, I just I have a hard time seeing Blake Koram. I don't know if he's a pro bowler, I wouldn't go that far, but just being just being a contributing player immediately and if you can get that guy, I don't think it's out of the realm possibility he is there in the fourth round. You know, it's not viewed as a very good from you know, talking to my scouting buddy, is a great running back tight end draft, so it's gonna be very you know what you like. And yeah, so I just I've loved this guy for years. He's just my type player, and you play for Harbaugh. The physicality, the toughness like that translates, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And you talked about the work ethic. One thing with Korum that at least when I was going through him for the evaluation portion, that really kind of stut out stock out to me. And maybe this is less of a concern with that type of work ethic with the I mean the massive we have to talk about the massive injury that he's sustained at Michigan. Do you are you higher or about his ability to rehab and get back to being the guy, because there's a big difference when you watch his twenty twenty three tape and rightfully so, coming back from the injury versus the guy he was in twenty twenty one where he is, I mean, his tape just explodes his lateral agility, his foot speed, especially in traffic is really freaking fun to watch. Do you think he can get back to being that guy in twenty twenty one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's a huge part of the evaluation, right, Is he going to be better out two years than three years than he was a year out? You know, the wear and tear that he just has in general in that program, in the amount of carries, that would have to be something obviously, And this is another big part of the draft, right, all these guys, the physical elements that you have to rely on your doctors and trainers, like coaches and the scouts just aren't medical professionals. So when they say, hey, this knee injury, and this happens with running backs probably more than most positions of like, yeah, this guy's might be a one contract guy, right, And that was remember Jaya Jai, who's famously like was one of the best running backs in the country. All of a sudden, would he go in like the fourth round because most people thought like he just it could go two years, three years, four years. I think he ended up probably playing a little longer than people expected. But the knees, the lower body with that position is just you have to feel comfortable with it. But yeah, I mean I would bet on this is why you bet on people, right because the rehab, the work ethic, do whatever you have to do to get back to strength. Now that there's a chance that this is also the hard part about the business. Maybe he's never the same and that's the reason. Like if he had looked the same and not had the injury, we're probably talking about a guy, even with the size being a top seventy five pick right now, we're talking about a guy falling a little bit just because definitely from an explosion standpoint, wasn't quite which is something he's gonna have to hang his hat on. So's you know, you'd have to be betting on that because he's not built like Adrian Peterson.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely, And the early down rushing talent is there. But over to a guy that we talked about Korum, the acumen there. Over to a guy that's still learning the running back position. For people that are looking for the deep dives of this class, you have an interesting name here, man, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're gonna we're gonna stay in the big time with Tyrone Tracy Junior. This running back class, you know, it's not as attractive certainly at the top. I do think that there's some interesting guys when you get later on. Tracy's a guy who is going to go at some point on Saturday, might even be at the very later stages or the latter stages of Saturday. Six seventh round could get a little bit higher because of the testing, But it is going to be on that day three that I think has the ceiling to compare with some of the guys in that that are in the consensus top five to six in this class. Tyrone Tracy five eleven two oh nine nine seven seven ras four four eight wheels and what really opened my eyes about him, As deebro knows, I went to graduate school at IOWAI watch all the Iowa Hawkeye games live, so I had seen the first four years at Tyrone Tracy live.
Speaker 2: When that's a lot of bad offense, you're watching live.
Speaker 4: A lot of bad offense, and Tyrone Tracy decided to abandon ship there of I'm not getting developed here and it's probably not the right position either. The Iowa coaching staff had tried to talk to Tyrone Tracy about being a wide about moving from white receiver to running back. He was resistant to that in Iowa City, so then he transfers to Purdue. That coaching staff was effectively able to convince him to do that. This past season is when he truly broke out. I wasn't prepared for the tape that I.
Speaker 3: Saw with him. It really opened my eyes.
Speaker 4: Tyrone Tracy this past season one hundred and sixty three point five elusive rating. That's incredible, four point four to four yards after contact per attempt. Both those were the highest of any of my top thirty running backs in this class. People need to keep in mind that Purdue team was terrible this past season. It was terrible, bad offensive line, new coaching staff that was extremely risk averse with their offensive strategy because they had a quarterback that doesn't throw it down the field very much, and I think also trying to protect that offensive line. So there's a lot of just sort of straightforward concepts, different stuff like that. Tracy was still racking up all these explosive plays. He's a bouncy, juice stuff, wide based slasher with better vision and instincts than I had expected heading into that, especially with this guy being new to the position of running back.
Speaker 3: He runs with tempo.
Speaker 4: He has a knack for timing cutback cutbacks to free himself into open grass and by the way and tangentially to where the NFL is going, these skills will play in the new paradigm of the kick returning rules. Tyrone Tracy last year for Due deployed him as a returner. He brought one back for a touchdown. He showed explosion there as well the explosive runs that we have seen in his ability to do damage in space. That is going to translate to the next level. Last thing that I'll say, and deebro and I had a laugh about this because we had the same thing in our notes that we independently saw with this. Watching his receiving cut up was very frustrating talking about the straightforward concepts of the Purdue thing. All of his catches, it was one of two things. It was either the same concept if it was designed. They would fake a handoff one way and then Tracy would go the other way and the quarterback would do a swing pass. The defense always knew what was coming, so right after he got the bother defenders there, they were already flowing to him. He couldn't do anything with it. His only other targets were when the quarterback was under duress and he was the fourth auction on the play of the quarterback was like, well, I'm gonna get sacked if I don't just throw it to Tyrone. Well, he didn't have any room there. I think in the NFL you can expand that more. You can let him fly a little bit more as a receiver, but he has already showing that ability as a runner, especially early on the development curve. I think a team is going to get a steal on Saturday with Tyrone Tracy.
Speaker 1: I mean, when you could take a collegiate wide receiver that's converted to running back and then you can only use him twenty six snaps out out wider in the slot, you have to do it right, like he only use them on swing passes and nothing creative at all. As Purdue, like, you have to do that absolutely. I mean, of course, that's why you're gonna feel the best offense. But moving over from Purdue's woe ful situation to a guy that I've I've talked about him throughout numerous shows, I've got to bring him up here. Marshawn Lloyd's a guy I've loved this entire process he runs freaking mean inmobile. That was the first thing I had to ask him. I was like, who hurts you?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Where do you get this attitude? Dude? Where you're running? He's a tone setting running back. And whether you want to talk about the numbers, he's top twenty and basically every efficiency elusivity metric that you could pull up over the last two years or you're turning on the film, and he's got the ability to create yards on his own. In mobile, he showed the ability to be a three down back, beating guys on angle routes, beating guys on a wheel route, to close two specific practices day after day with standout plays. So Marshawn Lloyd's one of the few three down, true three down running backs I think in this class. I'm very interested to see where he goes. But I've loved this entire process, man. But from the loveless guys over to a platform that you all should love out there, And I know we've talked about this on previous episodes, we got to mention it here again, Reality Sports Online. It's a powerful fantasy sports platform where owners get to build and manage their fantasy teams like an NFL general manager. The question is, have you tried it yet? It's time to go see what all the buzz in the dynasty community is about. Free agency, multi year contracts, a rookie draft, multi team trades, franchise tags, contract extensions, and so much more. It sounds complicated, it's really not. It just tet requires another level of strategy. If you think you're among the fantasy elite, you got to try it out today. Man, test that your general manager skills for free with a mock free agency auction. Use the promo code Fantasy pros to receive a ten percent discount on your team. Leak today. That is the promo code Fantasy Pros for a ten percent discount on your team or league today. Fantasy just got reeled Reality sportsonline dot Com. All right, boys, we are into the fun part of this class man, the wide receiver position. The guys that we've talked about on numerous episodes. John, kick it off here, man, I know you love this guy. Look, there are a lot of people on both sides of the aisle. Tell me why you love Kean coleman.
Speaker 2: Ka I'm biased. I like I mentioned earlier my guy Derek Ray who's basically the GM there I was. I was on the phone with him in training camp before the LSU game and he's like, we got we got a couple of whiteouts transfer portal watch out obviously that you know, he busted on the scene. Keon Coleman in that game. We have three touchdowns. I mean, he was It was just like, geez, this is gonna work. And I understand with bigger bodied, contested catch guys that don't run really fast, it's a concern, right, because if you're gonna hang your hat on just constant contested catches, it's gonna be difficult to have a career, like you can't just DeAndre Hopkins is an outlier, not normal, right, but you know, and this guy ran faster. But Mike Williams is an example who wasn't I wouldn't call it blazer now he plays pretty fast, who was drafted seventh overall. And this guy, his ball skills, his touch, you know, his ability in space or I mean with a in a contested catch in space to high point the ball is pretty special. And I was looking before I hopped on, I was like, just double check this guy. He's twenty years old, right, now. So he's about to turn twenty one. And we've seen guys physical wide receivers who are young a different player, but like Juju was really young when he came into the NFL, right, and you just get a guy. And this is why part of the reason why I like him is it's pretty clear. The top guys we're all talking about going really high, right, top all the top three guys going within the top what twelve you know? I mean, this is guy now we're talking about, is a second round pick, right, So I can get this guy in the second round who's twenty years who will be twenty years old when I draft him. Now he turns I think twenty one in May. But I mean, you're talking about a very young, and let's face it, pretty raw guy. The basketball background, I do wonder too, like once you really focus, can he just improve with the quickness a little bit like looking for him to become Deshaun Jackson here. But I just think that his physicality, how naturally he is in the air. The other thing is so many teams now because I was thinking about this today when I was thinking about what wide receiver to give you guys, just like a lot of these players right like jayde Daniel is a good example. He is, He's gonna be very dependent on who his coordinator is, how they ask him to play. Most quarterbacks are not like Andrew Locke or Peyton Manning probably would have succeeded no matter what. Most guys are not that. Like Lamar Jackson, who has become a great player, benefited a lot from falling and going to the Ravens. He obviously had an easier path in the sense of goes to a high level place with a good defense and who just can like pivot and change their offense around in a heartbeat blink of an eye. So to me, if he goes to a place that already has speed on the outside, which it feels like a lot of teams just have. I mean, there's this virtual wide receivers on so many squads and he can kind of play.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Ideally, if you're taking guy in the second round, you want him to be a better player. But I think about Juwan Jennings right now for the Niners, who plays in the slot, such a big body and the way he's playing right now, can he be like that? Immediately use him in the red zone. I just think he has traits that translate and from what I've heard people people liked him in Florida State, like work ethic and like I said, the youth, and this is what JJ McCarthy has going for him. It's like you, part of the draft is not just about twenty twenty four, especially with higher picks, you know, in the first couple rounds, it's about like over the next course of two or three years, as they maybe replace some of my starters. I like going free agency, So you'd be betting on kind of the future a little bit with this guy, because you know, I think most people would agree still pretty raw, which is crazy when you look at it with his production and I don't know where you guys stand out. I don't quarterback sad story with the ankle and how I thought he was a pretty average player, you know, just kind of he wasn't exactly. Daniels Layer Yep, agreed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think the quarterback would you're looking at the counting stats and especially the archetype of players playing with guys and that the name that that that pops into my mind when Kean Coleman's brought up is Kenny Galladay too, same type of archetype contested catch guy, not the greatest separator. We could talk about route running and things like that for days, man, but I think like the quarterback play is very It's paramount there because not only are you talking about like his skill set and how that translate, but also the quarterback play. And you have to have quarterbacks that not only have the the the arm talent to fit the ball into the contested situations, but are willing to grip it and rip it and throw into those situations like some quarterbacks are not willing to do that. They wanted to see guys running open, you know, and how that looks. Man, And so looking at Florida State, it was a grab bag of all like quarterback play, what he was asked to do, his role, all those different types of things. But staying in Florida for you got a chance to interview this player at Senior Bowl, and I know you're enamored with his game. Man, Just go ahead, just spit the good news on Ricky Piersoll.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, Ricky Piersoll's my guy at wide receiver. Last three years he was the wide receiver one for Jaden Daniels, the aforementioned Jade Daniels, then Anthony Richardson, then Graham Mertz last year, and now he's coming off this dominant pre draft process. He impressed us down and Mobile at the Senior ball had a very eye opening NFL combine, showing tested as a better athlete than than I thought he would.
Speaker 3: Nine.
Speaker 4: Raz on the full gamut of tests at six foot one point eight nine tremendous route runner both against man and against Zny has a very good feel for that modulates tempo. The head and shoulder fakes, the hard cuts coax his false steps out of the defenders across from him, introduces doubt in their head. You know, he just you can never get a beat on what he's doing. And then he also keeps working on extended plays, the freelance himself open. Best part of his evail though, is the ridiculous hands, you know, And this is the thing I talked with him about in Mobile. This guy who had been a staple of the Sports Center Top ten going back years and years and years. Dee bro that catch against Charlotte that he had the one handed catcher. Then he gets fresh one of the great catches that we've seen in college football over the last decade, but it's not just a one off. The kid eighty six point eight PFF hands Gray last year spears balls outside of his frame on the move with regularity. Obviously he is just about money in the bank with anything inside of his frame. You do not see that guy drop anything. The concentration very very good. He showed the collegiate versatility that he could play.
Speaker 3: On the inside and outside.
Speaker 4: When we spoke to him in Mobile, he said the NFL was predominantly at that time talking to him about the slot. I wonder if how well he tested again nine point nine, he tested as a ninety ninth percentile sides adjusted athlete on the full.
Speaker 3: Gamut a test.
Speaker 4: I wonder if that, in conjunction with his tape, the NFL or the team that ends up taking which who obviously will be higher on him because that's how the draft war.
Speaker 3: If they will.
Speaker 4: Use him as he was in college, where you both use him on the inside and the outside, that would be my suggestion.
Speaker 3: I think he's proven that he could probably do that.
Speaker 4: But even just as an NFL slot, he's gonna be able to start immediately. He's gonna do some damage. He's going to be a high volume type target guy in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big agree, man, And you know I've come around on Pearce all more after I went back to the tape, after we had more tape coming back from Senior Bowl and stuff. I think that he's a route runner for days and days. I think that all the puff and praise, especially after the top shelf testing, man, he deserves all of it. And a guy that did not test like a top shelf athlete. And I wasn't surprised on this. My guy is Jabon Baker, has been Javon Baker, remains Javon Baker, and a lot of this comes down to he's being underrated in this process and I think he's going to go higher than people believe in the NFL draft. I'm not surprised by any of the testing. I thought he was a four or five guy. I thought all of his short area agility stuff was going to come in great, like good, but not great. And I think that if you look at and people can talk about the drops and stuff, look at the role he was playing at UCF. He was the downfield guy and he can be that he can stretch the field, but it's not because they're all speed. It's because of how good he is as a route runner and manipulating corners. I think Javon Baker is going to be a high volume guy in the NFL. I think some team is going to get a steal for a player that last year was eighth in yards per route run against all FBS wide receivers at least fifty targets. You look at all the guys that had boatload ninety eight guys that had a boatload of contested catch situations. He was twentieth and contest to catch rate. So we could talk about the drops, and we could talk about, oh, the testing and stuff like that. I care about your route running and I care about the other parts about your game, and so Javon Baker has been my guy, remains my guy. But over to the tight end position, boys, John just kick us off here. Man one of the best players, most talented guys in the draft. Thorn and I have talked about him. I can't wait to hear your take on him. But we've discussed him as not just being the best tight end in this class, but he is an offensive weapon.
Speaker 2: Why is brock Bauers your guy? I think he's one of the better prospects in recent memory, like love pound for pound if he was if he played quarterback, I mean, he'd be like, we'd be talking about like him, like he's Caleb Williams or something. I mean, he's I'm biased people from northern California, and he went to Napa High School. And you know a lot of guys that are star players in the Sacramento Bay area end up at Oregon, end up at Washington, end up at USC This guy went to the prominent program in the country and was I would say, relatively immediately arguably their best player on a team with I haven't seen the latest count, but like seventy five guys that got drafted the last two years. So it's not the thing is And I was talking to Coward about this yesterday. If you're a scout, you've seen him. The best athletes on defense play in the SEC right top to bottom. Well, he hasn't just annihilated them for three years. Think of who he went against him practice for a couple of years. Can you If I was scout and I had any reservations, I'd be like, Hey, Kirby, can we just pull up the last couple of years of just some drill work with him, like one on ones, seven on seven whatever. I mean, all these every guy wasn't isn't just starting or playing in the NFL. These guys were all like top fifty picks. So he's just an elite player in a league that that position. Now, all the good teams have this. I mean, look at the Final four, right, I know, Mark Andrews's bank was banged up, but Travis Kelce, George Kittle, Laporta, you know, this is just that position. I mean, Belichick's been honest since like the eighties. When you get a guy who you know can be a hybrid on the line of scrimmage, even in the slot, like who's covering that guy? I mean, who who is? When you get that and I saw his measurables, someone put him right up against Sam Laporta, who you know, I think it's fair to say has a chance to be like one of the next stars in the NFL if you just were gonna project based on his rookie season. So to do that in that program. It's one thing to become a star at Alabama or Georgia Ohio State. But when you immediately are like, yeah, this guy is on a different level. There was no waiting process. It was immediate, right, And that's what we've seen with just high end impact players like you know, Miles Garrett or the Bosa brothers or Zeke, Like you just kind of know right away. You're like, now as you get older injury, I'm just saying right now his ability, Like, I think he's an immediate impact player now the value. I was talking with Daniel Jeremiah because listen, if the quarterbacks go one through four, the Chargers could get stuck. Takes two to tango, right, you got what if no one's willing to trade? So when you're there, what would you do? And I was texting with a scouting buddy. I was like, shouldn't they just take you know, could all play right tackle? And just figured out He's like, well, there's so many tackles in this draft. You could get a right tackle. Later you might as well go get a touchdown maker. And we say the wide receivers, but like, shouldn't this guy be in the mix now? The difference is financially, when you draft a guy five overall, he's immediately making eight nine million dollars and the franchise tag for a tight end is twelve. So you're like, well, you're already paying him kind of premium money. I'm like, well, I think this guy's a premium player. So you just you're not getting this guy in the second or third round. Now, if you want to take Marvin Harrison or Neighbors or whatever, I totally understand. But you're telling me if you get this guy with Harbaugh and Herbert, it wouldn't work immediately. Like, I just I have a hard time seeing if you told me this, the Chargers took him at five overall, and you tell me he plays seventeen games, I'd be like, he catches ninety four balls next year. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, there's so many different ways you can go in the draft and where the Chargers have their their board set up. But am I gonna fault them if they take him fifth overall? We're talking about if you're looking at him and being an offensive weapon and being the guy like, because the other thing about this from the word.
Speaker 2: Ideally you want to take it like thirteen or twelve.
Speaker 1: I gueah, yeah, if all things are on the on the table and everything's was and what, Yes, I don't disagree at all. But if you're stuck and you make the pick and he's the top guy on your board, and you're saying, this is a guy that came into Georgia and was the number one target in that passing attack from the word go, can.
Speaker 2: He do that?
Speaker 1: And we believe he could do that in Los Angeles? Yeah, absolutely, I have no qualms about that at all. And Thor, I'm gonna transition this to you. We already talked about the pain of watching Iowa football, and I know the pain of you know, it was not great to lose this guy last year to another injury and stuff, and we can get into the weeds about injuries for days, but one of the bright spots about watching Iowa football was well, Eric.
Speaker 4: Abb only for the first month and a half of the season until or so until he tore his ACL and deebra Obviously, we're doing the tight End episode next week where we're going to deep dive the scouting reports and all these guys, so we're going to keep our comments a little bit shorter on these guys, but you know, in advance of that episode, but just a bird's eye view of Eric Hall six four and a half two hundred and fifty two pounds. Started his career at one tight end factory, Jim Harbas at Michigan, then ends up transferring to Iowa, the other tight end factor there in the Big Ten. He is a medical question guy where if he overcomes those medical things in the NFL, he is going.
Speaker 3: To be a steel.
Speaker 4: The kid is a super duper skilled receiver, which again we'll talk about more on next week's episode. Who is also a very very good athlete. He has proven in college that he can have multiple utilities. At Michigan he was their h back move tight end type guy. At Iowa he was used as the inline type guy. He did have that back injury season ending at Michigan the end of his career. There had a bit of a disagreement with the Michigan staff about how to go about that. There is also some mystery about exactly what happened during the back surgery, exactly what you know. The NFL teams with their medicals, they will figure that out. And then of course he had the torn a clro from this past season, which is why he couldn't test. But we'll get deeper into his game on next week's episode. But I just think that this kid as long as he stays healthy in the NFL, which of course is the big question. The NFL medical staffs will have to decide for that on their own. But if he can stay healthy in the NFL, this guy's going to be a steal at the price point that he's at.
Speaker 3: And he's not getting discussed enough.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I look, I was fighting you for him for this episode. You and I were like, look, I want all, No, you want all? No, no, no, no no. Who's going to get all? And I don't disagree with you. I think that he's going to be slept on. I think that he is going to go and be a steal assuming he gets back to full health. The kids skills are all there, and I want to bring up a guy that might not get all the puff and praise and he's not going to get all the glorious alliterations about what he can do at the NFL level, But I love his game man, Ben's. I think that he's a He's a fantastic two way tight end. You look at the receiving utility last year, top ten in both PFF receiving great and yards per route run. He's a really freaking good blocker you can use him in a multitude of ways, not only in line but some h back stuff. You could use him as a lead blocker. I think that looking at his talent profile as well as he tested so freaking good man, Like we're talking ninety eighth percentile burst score, seventy fifth percentile speed scores. Like the kid can play. So I'm very curious where he goes in the NFL draft. But he's definitely one of my guys. And I mean, look, we've talked about a ton of fantastic prospects in this entire episode. Speaking of my guys, John, thank you so much for stopping by. Man, you're doing awesome work over at the Volume. Where can people check out all your stuff? Man, it's been a treat to have you on the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks guys, I really enjoyed it. You guys are rushing on fantasy pros.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: He guys a boom and business. Let me tell you three and out podcast all content daily, just podcast a NonStop. We're on Apple, Spotify, YouTube. Everything gets posted to YouTube, so it's really easy to fault if you. Social media will always post everything. It's just my name at John Middlecoff. The Volume posts everything, so all my stuff's pretty easy to find.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Man, you need to be checking out John Middlecough's work, and you need to be a subscribing to this podcast and tuning into next week's episode. Again, Thor talked about this. We're gonna run through the entirety of the tight end class, get deep into the weeds about all these guys, their skill sets, where they go, what we love, what we want to see them improve. Man, But get subscribed, tune into next week's episode for Thor I and mister John Middlecough. We're out of here.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Dynasty Football podcast. If you love the show, the best freeway to support us is by leaving a positive review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify, follow us on x, Instagram, and TikTok at Fantasy Pros, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Fantasy Pros