Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, it's Bill Corney with an army of normal folks. And we continue now with part two of our conversation with Ben Collier and Owen Do back right after these brief messages from our general sponsors. As I'm listening to you, you're gaining a valuable lesson and ego, selfishness, business, and the reality of the world. Because there's a guy named zig Ziggler. You won't know his name. Maybe you do, anyway, back in the day, he was one of these motivational speech speakers, one of the greatest ever. If you look up his eighties tapes and you listen to him, they'll be dated, but they're full of wonderful, dead bits of information. One of the things he said was you always share your go up your give up goals with everyone. You share your go up goals with no one. And what he meant by that was, if you're gonna quit drinking, or you're gonna quit smoking, or you're gonna quit somebody, that's a give up goal, tell everybody, because the minute that person sees you take a sip of beer or a drag off a cigarette, they'll be sure to remind you, Oh, I thought you said you were going to quit smoking. I knew you couldn't do it. You use human nature for your benefit, but your go up goals, you share those with no ones. If your go up goals are I want two year stap this promotion, I want two year stap this organization to be here. If you share those go up goals with everybody, the same human nature that helps you in your give up, they will help bring you down because they will be like, I don't want you doing that because that may tread on what I want to do. You see what I'm saying. So his deal was share your give up goals with everybody, share your go up goals with nobody. And it is a it's actually a sobering look at the reality of much of the way humans interact with each other. But it's also I wouldn't say any lesson is one hundred percent true, But you get the thirty thousand foot view of what zeg Zigler's saying. I think you were experiencing that.
Speaker 2: I think our optimism at the time would have disagreed with that, because in a world where hey, we want to be the most successful AI company, that means we want to do that at the expense of everyone else. We want to take all that market share in a world where the goal is to see everybody who is struggling with hunger fed, and every organization in this industry has that goal as their north star. We felt that there would be something different, and by and large, that is something that people individually feel, but the actions and the structures that were being built contradicted it.
Speaker 1: And you guys were very punny about to upset the apple cart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and that I think that became our goal. And we had this weird stubbornness that came from conversations like that Cucumber conversation where we thought, we're going to make them work with us. You know, we're gonna make these guys collaborate because we don't see a path to actually changing this system if all of these different organizations that stand to benefit from working together choose to. And so it's this weird thing where we almost want to. I can picture like my parents sitting me and my twin brother down and being like, you guys are gonna love each other, and it's like that's such a weird way, but that's kind of what we've we felt and continue to feel. I know you're gonna work together. So it feels a contradictory in nature, but it's something that needed to happen.
Speaker 1: So a month then you get hit in the face with the cucumber usual or as you get dunked on.
Speaker 2: I did not say we got in the face of the quo.
Speaker 1: Okay, you got donked on. I did say that. So where do you go from there?
Speaker 2: LinkedIn? That's when we started recruiting. We thought, all right, now we have this first summer of the pandemic. No college student that we knew was still going to do what they were planning to do that summer, So let's give them all a chance to be a part of this, or as many as we can. And I think within two months now Farmlink has gone from an idea to something that over two hundred students are now working on from around the Lost Country and even beyond everywhere.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Another great thing of the ABC World News tonight's segment was all these kids reached out and were like, I want to work on this. I'm not in school right now, I'm not so.
Speaker 1: Are they reaching you through your website?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a website with an email on it. So everyone was sending an email. And you know, if you see the film the documentary, Joe in that film was one of those people who reached out. And yeah, our zoom chat of ten people went to two hundred and all of a sudden, like to open every like meeting, everyone singing together and dancing and like that community that we were all missing before it's starting to come together. I'll never forget one of the calls, someone's grandparents started singing sea shanties like something you'd saying on like a ship in the seventeen hundred.
Speaker 4: To open the call, and everyone was like energized.
Speaker 1: So so fired up.
Speaker 4: So fired up.
Speaker 3: And then and then we like dive into business and move like one hundred thousand pounds of food.
Speaker 4: It was, it was crazy.
Speaker 1: So I was in that first year, we want to move a million pounds of food, right, yeah, yeah, So you'd already moved what fifty or sixty thousand pounds of potatoes, onions and eggs, right.
Speaker 3: So by that point where we're already at the point where we're coming towards like i'd say, like two hundred and fifty thousand pounds of food or something like that.
Speaker 1: Which we wanted. If that was the end of it. That would already have been a phenomenal thing.
Speaker 4: That's what we thought start.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we still thought it was maybe a summer project act or something like that. There was no impetus that there's no like. It was not supposed to be an organization. And reflecting on it now, I'm so grateful that we used one hundred percent of that money towards transportation. No one was like, I want to be paid, I'm working hard on this. That was not it at all. Everyone had shared ownership, whether you were person number one to enter or a person two hundred, this was all of our project, and this belonged to all of us, and that proved very.
Speaker 1: Important, which is interesting, shameless plug. My paramount belief is the only thing that's going to fix all the things that alis is when an army of normal folks come together, see the area need and fill it. Yeah, And in a microcosm of that thirty thousand and fift view, that is exactly what was going on three months in y'all's existence. Because now you have this army of two hundred kids across the country, restless wanted to be part of something good, and if it had been as deal. Great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the same with you know, your football team. It doesn't revolve around one person that everyone's catering towards. Everyone has an equal part in the season and needs to work together.
Speaker 1: So that's what y'all are doing. And and your goal was a million pounds, right.
Speaker 2: Well, initially, no, you're not you're not wrong. That was like we thought, if we move a million pounds of food, that'd be pretty special. And I think a month after we had that initial conversation, I remember talking to Aiden and we're like, well, that was quicker than we thought.
Speaker 1: And you want to do it a year, You did it in a month.
Speaker 2: And so we were just setting goals as quickly as we could break them in a weird way. And so I think we then made our goal, all right, this summer, let's move ten million pounds of food and see what happens. And I think going back to what you guys were just addressing what we didn't realize would drive this was the community. And we were all stripped of that right when the pandemic began and suddenly no one I had never had a pen pal. Do you ever become friends with someone before the pandemic that you'd never met in person. I hadn't something. We had a hundred faces that I felt like I really knew, and I was getting to know beyond just the food that we were moving and the farmers we were calling. And that was what made this feel like something that really had the longevity to go further and further and further. And so that summer was just so fast. We had this partnership with Uber Freight where they gave us free transportation on anything we moved with them. And it's like an uber say, it needs to go from point A to point B, needs to be this kind of truck at this temperature.
Speaker 1: There's a thing called uber Freight.
Speaker 2: There is, and we didn't know about it, but either it gave us the space and a million dollars of free transportation to figure it out because we were not the most efficient at moving food at that time, but we were contacting everybody, and so that for a summer, because of that transportation buffer, or that ability to be a little bit less efficient than we otherwise are now, we learned so much. And I think in that first year it was all about just doing with the best intent of supporting everybody in mind and going back to that piece I said earlier. We really wanted to make it so that we could work with everybody. Our philosophy is, if we're not as additive as possible to farmers and to food banks and communities that we're serving, we're not going to actually work in this in between space that we think we need to be. And so that's where we pivoted as much as we needed to in that first year to make sure what we were doing was as supportive as possible.
Speaker 1: But then kids start going back to school, and therefore your massive network of people have all this time to give and the restlessness, they don't have that time anymore. So now you got to pivot again, don't you.
Speaker 2: So we're looking at the end of the summer of twenty twenty, we're about five months into farming. We moved ten million pounds of food ten million and five months. Let's just stop and maritate on that for a minute. Ten million pounds of food and five months for a bunch of kids who start off in a U haul picking up some eggs, I mean, that's really what we're talking about. And a network of two hundred and fifty kids, yep, and how much money raised at that point, I think we were looking at it over a million dollars.
Speaker 1: Okay, in five months. Yeah, let me just say this real quick to everyone listening. These are college kids who don't know jack about nothing. One of them just graduated college and was learning storytelling. Another was laid up from a leg injury. And all these kids get together because they see a line of people in Pittsburgh running out of food and they're seeing other stories about food going to waste, and say, how can we put the two together? And they end up getting a U haul picking up some eggs, and in five months you've got about a million dollars of donations. You've been on the New York Times, you've been on World News tonight, and you've moved ten million pounds. Well, when you put it like that, food, well that's where we are. It's the end of the story. So if you're sitting around right now, I want to remind you that the two adages I say all the time is the only thing that's going to fix this country is when an army of normal folks decide to bond together, rise up and say the narratives out of the national press are set to divide us the narratives out of DC are set to a divide us. And the things that are really going to fix us is when an army of normal folks look themselves in the mirror and say, I'm going to announce those narratives that are dividing us, and I'm going to join together with people and say hey, I can help. And the second thing is the magic happens when passion and discipline meet opportunity. When you have a passion and an ability to do something and you see an opportunity and you match those things together, magic happens. And these two guys are such beautiful examples of that. You had a passion and ability and storytelling. And if you weren't able to tell stories, you're never on world news tonight. You don't get your first one hundred and fifty thousand dollars your mother instilled. I don't want to take away from who you are, but there's no way your mother did instill you a passion for people. All that can go to her. It's true, and you saw an opportunity and as passion and opportunity and discipline collided in only five months, these goofy, dumb college kids who don't really know what the hell they're doing. Have moved ten million pounds of food to food banks to fill the gap of hunger during COVID, have raised a million dollars and still really don't know what they have on their hands.
Speaker 3: No. I remember there was a day where twelve people were all writing on post it post it note, it's what do you think we're doing here? Who do you think we're helping? And where should we go? And it was really still that arbitrary. It was like we did not one hundred percent know where we fit into the terrible food system.
Speaker 1: And a lot and what I said to echo what I said one more time is kids are also going to start going back to school soon. You're actually going to be in class. And so this massive network of restless kids with free time that want to do something. Their hearts may still be in the right place, but pragmatism says they're going back to class. So you have to kind of pivot at this point, don't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean in August, so five months in we look up and I remember having a conversation with you guys where we say, if we don't get so many more kids on board to help us do this. This is just going to go away in a month when people do have to go back to class. Now, it's worth noting that first school year of the pandemic, so that September through the following spring, all class was still online. And so I'll share my personal position. I'd finished my degree requirements. I was taking online classes that my parents wouldn't love hearing this. It was kind of a joke. And you didn't have the community that students looked to get from classes, and so Farmlink could still provide that. And so for that first school year that carried us into the second year, a whole year really from September of twenty twenty five months into the pandemic until May of the following year. We still can't that's a whole year two slash yep. That we're now a year in a Farmlink. We could still every few months go out get another hundred students that were so passionate to be a part of farm I could help build that community. I mean, by the end of that first year of farm Link, over four hundred students had been a part of the farm Link project, and the community I think at that point was still only growing and becoming stronger. That next September, a year and a half into Farmlink. That was that transition you were really talking about, and that was really tricky.
Speaker 1: Hes tell us how you did it.
Speaker 2: Well, we're a year into Farmlink. We've moved thirty million pounds of food. It's unbelievable. And this is fresh produce. It's stuff that is hard to come by outside of a pandemic. Food banks still all going to food banks, and no food bank is paying for it. And that's when students are going back to in person classes. I just graduated, Ohen, You're trying to survive in LA. You have your balance of making money outside of Farmlank trying to still support farm Link. And this is when we made the really difficult decision. If we don't pay somebody to do this full time, we're really concerned about the accountability of this project to keep growing in the way that we think it can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, farm Link is now a five ZHO one S three in a rural organization. It actually needs an executive director.
Speaker 2: It needed that and it needed We knew that the culture and the community energy was always going to be able to come from these young students, but there was experience that we could benefit so much from. I mean, we're cold calling thousands of farmers a week. We could bring on one of the right people who just knows all of these farmers and he can call them up and speak their language and get the same amount of food that thirty students spending thirty hours a week could do. And so I graduated at that point, and Aiden and I started working on this full time, and the full time team began to grow from there.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: And then we brought on Luis Yepis, who was the first real adult who came into this space.
Speaker 1: And he's the Mexican dude. Yeah, yes, yeah, he is Mexican.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a big opera singer.
Speaker 1: He's a Mexican singer.
Speaker 4: He isn't a punk band.
Speaker 2: He's incredible.
Speaker 1: Well, let's just step back. Yeah, yeah, he's a Mexican opera singer who is in a punk band, who of course fits perfectly with Farmlink from a rural.
Speaker 2: Native American community in northern Mexico, who spent his entire life as both a rebel and someone working so hard to take care of other people.
Speaker 3: And the way he describes it is that he has been the crazy guy shouting in the corner his entire life that we need to rescue all this food, we need to collaborate, and no one has ever listened to him.
Speaker 5: How did the two of you hook up with Luis? Yeahs Luis was working. I could let Ben and tell it in a second. But Louis was work moving surplus food in Los Angeles, an organization called Food Forward that he was help growing, and we were partners with them. So we were moving food with Louise, and I was getting videos in because we were asking for storytelling and if anyone went to the delivery, just take a footo on your iPhone and here's this guy crying on camera about you know, we need to get food today to people. And he was so passionate, and I think there was a sense that, you know, the crazy ideas that he had dreamt of, they were possible at Farmlanke.
Speaker 2: You know, you talk about a volunteer. He didn't work at Food Forward when he started, and he woke up at four am every day for years to go to the La wholesale markets build relationships with the vendors that were selling food to restaurants and grocery stores and built a pipeline of food donations between them and Food Forward that now recovers forty million pounds of food a year unpaid.
Speaker 4: He was a volunteer, and he did.
Speaker 2: Not have the resources to really dedicate himself in this way if it wasn't something that was his source of life. And I think that's something you can probably resonate pretty strong with. But Luis called us around that time and said, I want to do this. I want to do what I've been doing, I want to do it at a national scale, and I think you guys are the tip of the arrow that can really make progress here. And so Luise joins us in September a year and a half into farm Link and immediately brings with him, you know, the ability to connect with tens of millions of pounds of food that we maybe would have one day reached, but he knew exactly where to go find out.
Speaker 1: He's the antithesis the cucumber people.
Speaker 2: He is the antithesis of the que That's a great way to put it. And I think what we even had to train into Louise was he'd spent so long being rejected by these institutions within food banking. He almost was like screw will do it without them, And so I had to sit with Louise for months to get him to even be open to collaborating once again, because not to his discredit, he'd been so turned they turned their back on him so consistently they he almost had given up on this idea that we could work with everybody, and he met all the Cucumber people exactly, and now he's at a place where he's opened back up to it. I think that that optimism has been reinstilled in him. But it's a good example of how someone who's so well intentioned can even be driven away from that spirit of collaboration, just because it's so difficult to hold hold yourself accountable to that level of optimism.
Speaker 1: It's just I don't know you all a thousand eggs, a sheet, a Mexican opera singer. You can't make this up, right.
Speaker 4: That's why we made a film. It's never going to happen again.
Speaker 2: And you know Owen's film, It doesn't even really tell you.
Speaker 3: The film is called Abundance. If you look up Abundance farm link, you can see it on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Right, which I watched again today in preparation of you guys, it's really really well done and I'm not doing your story the credit that the film does. I'm trying to piece it together for our listeners. But I hope you all will go watch Abundance. I think it was a It had a Moniker on. It was some film festival.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just won Best Documentary at Sun Valley Film Festival and we won mon Talk Film Festival as well.
Speaker 1: This congratulations, man, I know that is that. I know you don't make films to win awards. The awards verify the good work that you do, So congratulations on that. So take me from the Mexican Opera singer today.
Speaker 2: Well, that first year was really difficult from a cultural community the week right, Yeah, because I'm here with Aiden, with James Seer.
Speaker 1: I mean I was.
Speaker 2: I had moved to Los Angeles after graduating, and we have a few people that are being paid that cannot provide the level of accountability to someone like Luis or Emma, our new director of development, and these folks that came from real workplaces where you expect a level of accountability from your teammates, and at the same time we couldn't provide All of these college students are peers and contemporaries and friends the level of involvement and leadership that they'd once had, not just because we had a full time team, but because now their communities were opening back up again. They couldn't work thirty hours a week, they could work five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was trying to get in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so that first school year was really tough, and you had a lot of our teammates that have been around since the start that just came to the conclusion that it was their time to go and focus on other things because Farmlink couldn't be what it was for them in that first year. That's not anyone's fault. And it was really painful because you'd see people burn out and move on. But fortunately that's the reality of philanthropy though, of course. And thankfully what you'd see is they'd burn out, there'd be a period that was really tough, and then the second they were gone, they'd immediately look back on Farmlink with love and it felt like immediately it was water under the bridge. And so once we got through that first year, it felt like, all right, the last two and a half years, we've really been building this team, building something special, and.
Speaker 3: Now it's a mix between the college students who you see in the film building this all up and industry professionals who have left some of the biggest nonprofits in the country to work on this. And that hybrid model has worked really well because you still have that imagination and that rebelliousness of young people, and you have older people who have these really strong connections and systems and mechanisms to move all this food.
Speaker 1: So, Ben, did you take some of those people jumping ship because of the reality of their burnout and that they had a life now that they had to pursue because we were returning to normalcy? Did you take that personally?
Speaker 2: I didn't take it personally. I knew that it had to happen, and at the same time, it was deeply saddening and painful to watch. And I think I've always been lucky to be able to look far enough ahead at things to see why some of the more difficult things are worth it. But it doesn't make it any easier to go through it. And especially when these aren't just colleagues, they are now some of my closest friends. That balance is so difficult because they're decisions that I know we need to make and I know they're going to hurt my friends.
Speaker 1: You said you learned a lot about what the true definition of community was during the pandemic days. Yeah, what is that?
Speaker 2: I felt we could give people a sense of purpose along with that sense of belonging, and that created something that was more powerful than anything I've ever been a part of. I remember in the end of our first year, we would do these seasonal ceremonies where often there are a lot of people moving on, we'd take a moment and we would have a session that we would just open up. We'd call it thank Yous, and it would just be a space where anyone could unmute and give a shout out, a thank you, a moment of recognition to anyone else. And they would always start pretty slowly, and within five minutes you'd have people just completely opening themselves up. And I'm not someone who cries very often. We suddenly are on zoom. People are in one hundred different place around the country, and half of them are just bawling. And I will share one story you referenced Joe. Joe is this teammate of ours who joined us in the summer. I don't think any of us had really met him in person. He was so bubbly and positive, and anything you asked him to do, he'd be like, sure, man, I'm happy to can do. Guess so positive to the point where you're like, I can't believe how optimistic he is. And he gets on this zoom and he says, hey, I haven't talked about this with a lot of you guys, but a couple of weeks before, a couple weeks before I joined farm Link, my dad passed away from COVID. Even now, I can feel my heart like pounding, and I'm not someone who cries that often, especially in front of other people. And on Zoom, I'm falling in front of a hundred people and I can't I can barely speak, And I still felt so okay being there with them and being that kind of vulnerable, And I think that it was such a sign. And Joe wasn't the only one sharing stories. You had all these people were saying I was so confused, so lost, so upset, so to proud, and this has given me something. And we're not even at this point, we're not even talking yet about the impact that this is having on the lives of people receiving the food. We're just looking at these peers and colleagues, and I think that was that feeling of community that was so strong from all of these places around the country.
Speaker 1: When you did the pivot, what you learn about leadership.
Speaker 2: I learned that we have to help people see why the work they're doing matters and ladders up to a north Star goal. Because I could tell you with confidence we have twenty one full time employees. I could tell you how every single one of them is doing something that if they weren't there, it would destabilize what we're doing. And I know there are times where that is lost for people, and that's when burnout and confusion and frustrated, that's when it occurs. And I think my biggest job for farm Link is as much as possible helping people see that connection. And there are sometimes where we'll have a gap where nobody has the ability to problem solve in an area, and that's when it falls on my plate. And so along with helping people see this is your biggest responsibility, the other thing that I think is my job at farm Link is saying, Okay, this is a gap that no one's position to fill. And I sure as hell shouldn't be doing it. That's when we need to bring on someone else. And so it's just finding your position, helping people see their role, and then helping the team grow.
Speaker 1: At the right time, we'll be right back. It's your greatest lesson of documenting and being involved, but also documenting and telling the story.
Speaker 4: I think it's.
Speaker 3: It's how strong of a motivator hope is versus dwelling on the negative, dwelling on the problem. I think I had grown up with nonprofit storytelling being show people how bad it really is, and you know, yeah, Syrian crisis. There's actually a really interesting New York Times article on why the Syrian refugee crisis raised didn't raise very much money proportionally to other major world crises. It's because the storytelling. In many ways, it's because the storytelling did not provide a pathway for hope. If you see a kid whose house has just been bombed and they're covered in soot, and that those are the visuals that you're seeing, it is good to communicate the truth. You need to know what's going on, But someone who wants to help does not think they can if you can tell a story going from the rubble to being in a more stable place where you have educational materials and access to teachers and more resources. And the donations are creating that pipeline, and you can see that that will rally people, that will get people to actually drive change. And we saw the same thing with Farmlink. When we post videos, if we lead with the problem in the first minute, people stop listening after five seconds. People do not want to hear how bad the problem is. If you lead with some sort of teaser leaving the door open that hey, there's something we can do here and we can do it together, people watch until the end and I had never.
Speaker 1: And get involved, either financially or individually.
Speaker 4: And get involved.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And similar to what Ben said, if you give people purpose, they will it will become a part of their identity. It's more than a job, it's more than a hobby. It's you know, it's a real it's a real passion. Like I dedicated seventy or eighty hours a week for a while to this. That's everything, Like you're eating while you're working and you're doing something like that. And it's because it's because we tied our identities to it.
Speaker 1: Something just about every guest will say after speaking with them, is the payoff is regardless of how much you work, or how many hours you put in, or how much effort bud sweat and tears in it, you get exponentially more out of the experience than you ever put into it. And I hear your growth. How do you know, twenty five, you're a twenty five year old kid who has maybe a better take on community and leadership than many forty and fifty year old people I've ever been around as because you had to create it and grow it and live it. And you're a dude who graduated starving as a storyteller, who took what you learned working with some guys doing a story in Syria and have created I assume your first real project that is now winning awards as a result of the work you put in and inn that the payoff to all of it is you get exponentially more out of it than you put into it, all the while motivating, encouraging, giving people hope, and feeding the hungry. Yeah, I mean, you're too young for that to be the pinnacle. You got more to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but guys, it's been amazing, And I will say there's one moment where the payoff feels so much greater than anything else. It's when we're at a distribution. The truck gets delivered, there's a pile of food as high as you can imagine, and then throughout the course of the day, it all disappears.
Speaker 4: It all like you see.
Speaker 3: Every with your hands, you hand, like every family like passes through, receives that food and it's all gone. Like, I honestly do not feel an ounce of happiness when we win an award or do a screening. I honestly get kind of anxious when I have to speak or I have to go on stage. That part is like a necessary evil of promoting what we're doing. But it's the distributions where it's like that is the real payoff, like like we did something, we built something that helped make this happen in collaboration with our partners.
Speaker 1: So tell me, yeah, how many pounds As of to day you goofy kids have delivered.
Speaker 2: Over two hundred million pounds of fresh and healthy food and a few truckloads of ice cream when it's been donated.
Speaker 1: To us, Farmley, it's ice cream. The ice cream guy.
Speaker 2: We're not prescriptive about what communities should have access to. We're just gonna focus on the stuff the toughest to get, which is the fresh and healthy food. So if someone calls and says blue Bunny will call and say we have a chocolate of ice cream, sure that's gonna make people more happy than the radishes we got. But we know that.
Speaker 1: I will take beaucoup ice cream over a bushel of radishes for any day a week. So, and you have twenty one full time show.
Speaker 2: Employees, We've had over seven hundred students and young change makers a part of the farm Link project since twenty twenty, and I just want to agree with what Owen just said about being there in person. I didn't hold a piece of food that farm Linked had helped rescue in my hands for a year and a half, and there were miles.
Speaker 1: It was all virtual, all virtual.
Speaker 2: And I couldn't I couldn't even walk for that first year. I wasn't anywhere near a distribution. And by the time I finally saw, I started crying too, because there were moments where I thought, man, this is what we're doing.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 2: We've moved fifteen million pounds of food. I've seen nothing that validates that I'm not just losing my mind in my bedroom right now, and so actually being there and seeing the impact, that's why we do all of this.
Speaker 1: And Uh, what's what's a what's a what's a family driving through a food bank? Whatever stuck through their window? What does that look like? Is that a box? And what's in it? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 4: It depends, Yeah, it depends.
Speaker 1: Give me a.
Speaker 3: So one of our food distribution in Navajo Nation, there's one where you know, you'll receive a box of mixed produce. Maybe there's lettuce, tomatoes, apples, onions, oranges, everything. Yeah, and then you'll also receive some non perishables, so a box of what's.
Speaker 2: In the pasta cans, canned goods, et cetera. We're not we're We're a part of that. And that's where farm Link needs to be seen. Alongside the thousands of other organizations in this space. We could get we could get more fresh produced to every single community in this country. They're still going to need support with grains and non perishables and dairy, et cetera. And so it is a box of all of that. I think something that's worth saying is it needs to be so much better still, and how can it be? Well, I think there's the food access piece and then there's the social stigma piece. I'll start with the food access piece. We believe Farmlink has a confident understanding of how we can direct billions of servings of fresh produce to communities around the country with consistency. And that's so exciting that He's always that you believe you've got that distribution and network now. And that's the story we're trying to tell over the next six months with Owen's next project, and it is that's a hard thing to figure out, but that's made to seem impossible.
Speaker 1: It's not. But the other view got it. I mean, are you able to do that? Yeah, with all confidence you can do that.
Speaker 2: I will say, with all confidence, we want to do that. So what's next? So what's next is the social stigma piece. Fifty percent of people that are food and secure and know where the local food pantry is will still not go largely because of the social stigma associated with that choice. I mean, you guys, they you look at the beginning of the pandemic, there are millions of people that are food and secure for the first time, in their lives, and if you're lucky enough to have never needed to go to a food pantry, you think, well, that's for them, that's not for me. That us versus them divide is what creates that stigma to begin with. And a parallel we talk about all the time is that used to exist with water. It used to be if you could afford to drink filtered water, you would buy it, and if you had to, you drink that public well water. And that was especially when water was a leading cause of non war death. It wasn't as safe, but then it got safe, and there was still that stigma, and over decades, huge investments were made in normalizing clean, safe, and dignified drinking water. And by and large, now whether you drink for free from a water fountain or a bottle of Fiji water, now their experience is more dignified than the other. And we're nowhere near that being the case with food, despite how necessary it is. And so a lot of people talk about the end goal being no one needs food banks, and I think that is a reasonable end goal. But another thing we talk about is what about a world where food is so ubiquitous that, like water, you can be in an airport and an afterschool program wherever it is, if you need food, there will be food there, and you're still buying food. But there is that there's not that divide where the concept of food assistance and food access are just blending together. That piece comes from one improving the actual quality of food assistance, but then challenging why people see food like that to begin with. And I think storytelling is at the center of how we can even make that possible.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about as I'm listening to you, I have a friend named John Wilfon. John played basketball for the University of Memphis back in the day when we used to go to the final four and lead eight all the time. I bet you remember John will Fong. That's the other producer shaking us said, yeah, a stroke, bro cun it up. He and actually his son, and he started coaching for literacy, which is I don't know if you've ever seen a coach on a sideline, they've got a little green ribbon. Hell. And it all started from finding out that if you're not reading by grade level by I think third grade, that the data shows that an exponentially higher percentage of people who don't read by grade level by third grade, will end up in poverty, in jail, dead and all of that, Okay, And so their goal is to work with the schools and communities and families and get kids grade level reading about third grade. Because if you are reading the antithesis on the other side of that is, if you are reading about third grade, your trajectory has all kinds of positive possibilities. But if kids aren't read bedtime stories, and if they are not sung lullabies and they hear nothing but noise as infants and small children instead of educational stuff, they're probably not going to read about third grade level. But if they are read bedtime stories and books, so there, that's that I also can't help think about when I'm hearing you say, okay, we can distribute food, but now we got to work on this social impact to the stigma, which I get it because I've driven down streets and seen lines of cars of people waiting for boxes of food at food banks. And in Memphis, it's a lot of churches that do it, and there are people who drive by them and look down their nose at those folks, and you know, those folks are faced with do I feel like a second class that is in or drive feed my children. And we need to get over ourselves a little bit when we think about the people in those lines and whatever struggles led them to themselves that their food and secure and the ability to get food. And I think you're right. But the other thing is this, I think there's an entire other social impact that should be communicated, which is, how does a hungry kid learn to read? If reading on third grade level is so paramount to the success of your entire life, then so must be hunger. Because a hungry kid can't learn in school well, a hungry kid can't be happy, a hungry kid does not sleep well, and a hungry kid is not going to And a parent with hungry kid, it's not going to be thinking about Lola Bajah bedtime stories. They're going to be thinking about how do I get food in my baby? So there's not only the social stigma about receiving food, there's also a social impact on people who are hungry.
Speaker 4: Totally.
Speaker 1: We will be right back.
Speaker 4: We've already told our own story.
Speaker 3: It's time to tell the story of the people that we're working with who are serving and.
Speaker 1: On the rational side, where we got the distribution down. Now we're going to work on the social impact side. On the storytelling side, You've told one story, Yep, what's next for you?
Speaker 4: It's time to tell the next.
Speaker 3: There are a bunch of things that are next, but along that point it's I think the traditional non profit will take a single portrait photo of a kid who's hungry and say, this kid is hungry, please help them. And I think what we see in your story and Undefeated, it's seeing character transformation that is powerful, that moves people, that inspires people. So telling a story about a kid who's growing up without food who all of a sudden has that access point and their grades go from c's to a'spike that you know, that is the thing that unlocked that.
Speaker 4: That was the barrier.
Speaker 3: I could not imagine going to school on an empty stomach. I couldn't imagine being you know, I think there are teachers out there who are paying for materials for their students instead of getting meals themselves.
Speaker 1: All over the inner cities, doing that all over. Those stories are not well paid people.
Speaker 4: No, No, those stories need to be told.
Speaker 3: I'll never forget being in Dallas, Texas, in a community that had an eighty percent food and security rate.
Speaker 4: Almost the entire community did.
Speaker 1: Eighty percent of the kids in this district were food and secure.
Speaker 3: Eighty percent of the people. And you see not in Dallas, but in this community of Dallas. And you know, you see it in the documentary. It's Karen Belknap, who's a teacher who's telling the story about a student who you know, over Thanksgiving break, that student didn't eat for six days and on the Tuesday that they got back from school, the student passed out and for lack of nutrition from malnutrition and luckily was okay. But that's you know, that's a moment where everyone in the whole theater.
Speaker 1: Is the one break she has that she gets no food is Thanksgiving.
Speaker 4: Thanksgiving for food.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why we always make an effor we do a huge push during Thanksgiving to make sure like millions of people have food.
Speaker 4: That's really important to us.
Speaker 3: But that day, I was working in the parking lot for the whole day, you know, just like pushing carts making sure they all got back. And at lung I saw six nurses line up in line at the food bank altogether. This was their one hour lunch break and they had to spend it waiting in line at the food bank, and it's ours nurses, and it's COVID right now, And you would think these are the people in our society that we are valuing the most.
Speaker 4: We're saving eros, they're saving.
Speaker 3: People's lives during a national crisis, and here they are needing food assistance because they're not paid enough or they're not receiving enough support during the pandemic. And that made me realize there's so many perspectives that are not shared here that I think that I think are important and I think can be embedded in stories that motivate people who can actually change things here.
Speaker 1: So the next action is to positively affect and try to erase the stigma, and the next storytelling is going to be all about those perspectives, and I guess try to for a helpful view of how to raise the stigmas. Am I missing that?
Speaker 3: I think that, well, it starts with who are the people who can actually change things here?
Speaker 4: I think in a big way.
Speaker 3: The first place to start is every community leader in the country, every person who runs a food bank or a church organization that gives out food. We can tell a story that hosts like a single screening or a series of screenings around the country where we get eyeballs on every single person who's in that position, and if they see that story and unlock something for them, that's like, Hey, we've been doing this the same way for thirty years. We can make this slight tweak and hey we have a more dignified experience. I mean, it can be simple. As you know, this isn't just a food bank, but we're also doing live music and all of a sudden, it's not just a place to receive food assistance. It's community center where everyone goes and you're not segregating the population between you know, you can afford food, You can afford food.
Speaker 4: This is just where the community comes.
Speaker 3: And I think if we targe the right people, like I'm not afraid to spend a year and a half on a film that only two thousand people see, if it means those two thousand people are going to make more of a difference.
Speaker 1: Than Oh my yes is born two thousand people see. Yeah, you have something to tell you. It's an interesting again, as I'm listening to you, this is the South Church is a big thing here still and probably will remain so. One of the things we've talked about in the last decade is Sunday is probably the most segregated day in the United States. When an actuality, if faith is active in your life, it should be the most desegregated day. And my faith, Christianity, has done itself quite a disservice of the last five decades allowing that truth to happen, and there is a stigma around my faith as a result of that. And I hear you talking about the stigma of food banks and needing food and all of that. I hear you talk about the storytelling, and it is interesting that when we're talking about food, that should not be a political it should not be as segregating, it should not be a divisive topic. But in fact, when you talk about lunches, free lunches, and you talk about free breakfasts and schools, and you talk about government food assistance, it actually is incredibly political and incredibly has the potential to be incredibly divisive when it really should not be. And I think your guys, a studentess about how to remove that stigma goes a long way toward not only solving hunger, but maybe some things that have had us as well, I hope.
Speaker 2: So I think what we're doing can be as bipartisan as possible.
Speaker 1: Or good beating hungry people not right.
Speaker 2: Well, I've had some real angry calls and up saying it should, but I think it just let's just make people, make sure people look at this through the right lens, you know, because we're supporting farmers, we're feeding families. Anyone who shows up should be able to be supported by what we're doing. And so I think that we will always try and in the same way that I talked about from the first month. We've got to be able to collaborate with everybody. We got to be able to support everybody. It needs to be that level of inclusive and collaborative for this to truly work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we saw this.
Speaker 3: We world premiered the documentary in the Capitol Building in front of Congress, and the months leading up to it is you can't use that word when you're talking about hunger because then none of the Republicans will come. You can't use that word around climate because no Democrats will come. And it Yeah, we learned very quickly. It's a very political issue. But I think we can storytell in a way that rallies everyone.
Speaker 1: Gus keep doing what you're doing, break down those walls, because that's when you transition things like hunger and stigma into cultural change, which my generation has completely screwed up. And I have all the hope that the world guys in your generation can fix for us. I'm encouraged by your story. It's phenomenal. If somebody wants to support you, hear more about it, get involved. What do they do well?
Speaker 2: I would say, first of all, we've talked about it all day, but this film Abundance, the farm Link story is on YouTube and that'd be a great place to start, and we call it Abundance for this The entire purpose of this conversation is to acknowledge there is more than enough food up there. There is the opportunity for us to collaborate so much more.
Speaker 1: We could be the whole world.
Speaker 2: We grow enough food to feed the entire planet one and a half times over, and so that's done a way forty percent of all the food we grow.
Speaker 1: That's been unbelievable when you see the late night commercials of the starving kids with the flies buzzing around their heads. Knowing that we make enough food to feed one and a half times the world population as it is today. Sure makes sense that we how to figure out the logistics.
Speaker 2: Well, and it actually makes this problem seem a lot more solvable. That's why we want to start by acknowledging there is an abundance of food. It's a matter of logistics and collaboration to get it to the right people at the right time. And so go watch that film and if you can share it with and you want to put it up on YouTube, right.
Speaker 3: And pull it up on YouTube. It's twenty one minutes long. Share it with your friends.
Speaker 1: And face watch share it with every body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've said this and it's really worked. If everyone thought of one person in their life that they think would most be able to connect with or support or help amplify this story, just share it with that one person that's been a huge catalyst for our growth, and how can they reach us?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So if you go to farmlink project dot org, there are a few ways you can get involved. Everyone has a different way that they can help, so feel free to email us directly. If you have a kid who's in high school or college, you can still volunteer in the ways that you heard of in this podcast and help move millions of pounds of food. If you work for a company that donates to nonprofits, that's been a great way people have gotten involved.
Speaker 1: And if you're an individuals, yeah, and we're growing at the rate weekend fundraise right now.
Speaker 2: The food is there and we know where it is. And so for every dollar we fundraise, we're able to move over twenty pounds of food to communities face and hunger, and it's at zero pounds per dollar, and it's at zero costs to those community organizations that are working so hard to support each other.
Speaker 1: And there is that what you said, twenty pounds per dollar. Yep, you're telling me a hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Gets two thousand pounds of food a ton of food.
Speaker 1: Literally one hundred bucks for a ton of food. That's pretty cool, thank you. So that's how they reach out. So I'm hearing, you know, all politics is local, so I guess alf of philanthropy may be local too. I don't know, I'm hearing all this, and I'm you know, in Memphis, there are churches, and there's Maifa, and there is the Memphis Food Bank. And I can't help, but they you know, what could happen in my town, and other people listening are probably thinking what could happen in their town, What can a local food bank, and what can a city like Memphis do to improve the amount of food they have and their service.
Speaker 2: I will speak for all of the nonprofits, the local organizations that are doing everything they can. Ask them, ask them what they need, and really listen, because if you're the food bank, ask those community partners what they really need need. They might need the food bank to evolve in certain ways to better support them, and if that food bank can really listen, it's going to create change. We hear so often how community level organizations actually struggle to connect with each other and with their food bank partners, etc. And so if you're in that world, talk to each other and really see how you can stretch each other's resources further, because you're always going to be greater than the sum of your parts when you're working together. And if you're an individual that's looking to support them, don't assume that you know exactly what's best, because those people are doing everything they can to support their community. If you ask them really earnestly and give them the space to be heard, I'll tell you as someone who's running a nonprofit. That's all I've ever wanted from our community and our supporters, and that's the thing that I think can help us grow the quickest and the most effectively.
Speaker 1: When you hear that, listeners, please remember that one of the most valuable life lessons I've received top five in my life, came from a nineteen year old kid that played football for me in the hood. You can reference a Turkey person's story if you want to know what I'm talking about. So when you hear this twenty five year old kid give you that bit of advice, it's okay, there's a twenty five year old kids, you need to listen because that is profoundly true what you just said, and it resonates with me picked on. I hope people listen to you, guys. When I first heard the story owned in Nashville at the Do Good Or conference, I was like, I can't wait to talk more about this, And you guys have not disappointed and your uplifting and inspiring. The work you've done is amazing and it's not bad for a couple of idiots in college with a U haul and a sheet going to pick up eleven thousand eggs doing fifteen miles an hour and the four h five. I'm surprised you. I bet you got flipped off and honked out the whole way.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And we didn't even talk about the other trucks I crashed into a tree, parking and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: So for another time, listen.
Speaker 1: There's a certain amount of navita that also makes things like this happen, and I think you guys have proven that. Gentlemen, thank you for coming to Memphis. Thank you for sharing your story. You guys are normal kids who've done extraordinary things, and yet just another example of members of the army of normal folks making enormous change in our community. And guys like you make me hopeful that we can fix what else is. So thanks for being here.
Speaker 4: Thanks coach, Thanks for having us.
Speaker 1: You inspire us too, and thank you for joining us this week. If Ben an Owen or other guests have inspired you in general, or better yet, to take action by volunteering with the Farm League project, by donating to them, or something else entirely, please let me know. I really want to hear about it. You can write me anytime at Bill at Normalfolks dot us, and I promise you I will respond. And if you enjoyed this episode, please do us a favor. Share it with friends that are on social, subscribe to the podcast, rate and review it. Become a premium member at normalfolks dot org us all these things that will help us grow an army of normal folks. The bigger the army, the bigger the impact. I'm Bill Courtney. I'll see you next week.