Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, pull up a chair.
Speaker 2: It's that time of the week. We're having lunch on Table for two with Bruce Bosi and guess what. We are here at the Tower Hotel in Los Angeles on a gray, sort of chilly day. I mean, I think I usually do like the chop salad, but I'll do it some avocado today.
Speaker 3: You'll have a chop sale as well.
Speaker 2: We're having lunch with the director of Public Enemies, Manhunter, the last of the Mohicans, Heat The Insider Collateral. He's worked with triple A plus actors. He directs them brilliantly, and he's all about the human psychology of his characters.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, you're like the man. Mister Man is the man open.
Speaker 3: In the morning and look at the mirror and say, oh hello.
Speaker 2: You know, so, pull up a chair and you're really going to enjoy this. We're having lunch with the director of Ferrari, starring Penelope Cruz and Adam Driver. Mister Michael Mann. I'm Bruce Bossi and this is my podcast Table for two.
Speaker 4: Welcome, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: I mean, let me tell you, your movies blow me away, and I really can just jump into Ferrari because we can start there, because Michael, I watched this movie and it blew me away on so many levels.
Speaker 1: The blew me away on.
Speaker 2: The performances that Adam Driver Gay, that Penelope Cruise.
Speaker 1: She blew me away.
Speaker 2: And I want to talk about your process in getting these actors to give them these A plus actors, your ability to capture the Italian culture being an Italian American really resonated with me. And then of course the story of Enzo Ferrari and also race car driving and can you just jump in and tell me about this.
Speaker 1: It's an incredible movie.
Speaker 2: Do you go into the process saying, Okay, I know who I want to play these characters.
Speaker 4: I know who Enzo should be. That's a great question.
Speaker 5: I actually have to have a real sense of the character first, and then I start talking to actresses or actors and then kind of a mental you know, kind of a mental projection. If this actress is inhabiting this character, this is the this is the yield, and then that's just that's your imagination working, you know, it's a kind of creative imagination, kind of projecting what would it be like? And you're talking to them and sometimes there'll be a simple turn of the phrase, or although somebody will reach for, you know, a fork that's not there, she'll say something to a wai or in in that moment you'll see, yes, you'll see this is the person, this is it, She's it, you know.
Speaker 3: And with Peneloping, it was about four minutes into a zoom really and yeah, and I did.
Speaker 1: She do something in that four minutes.
Speaker 3: It was her kind of express her kind of.
Speaker 5: What I call it, a kind of a Mediterranean self confidence, if you like, you know, kind of the way she talks to her son and wanted to say hello to me.
Speaker 4: She kept pushing it aside.
Speaker 5: Was there something about the certainty that she has the absolutely uh, no self doubt. There's a certainty when she thinks something, her values that in self confidence that gives a certainty to her feelings. So when she feels a thing, that's it, you know, And that's absolutely Lara.
Speaker 3: And then question her face and how she expresses all right, but.
Speaker 2: The cadence of her law, like her hope, I've never seen her sort of the shift in her body and in her face in your movie with really exemplified Lara's you know, the twist in her not only the pain of them losing a child, but now where the marriage went, the whole and the complication, the financial crisis that Ferrari finds himself in that she's now as part of what do you do on set to sort of say, okay, you know you make films Michael, that you work with actors that are like triple A plus actors, and then you proceed to be able to get a performance that is next level that not only they get accolades and achievements and awards, but like make films that last the test of time, which will which is really being a storyteller. I assume I would think, you want, how did you if we stay just in the Ferrari world right now, when you sit with your Penelope and share your on set, you're like, okay.
Speaker 5: It starts with my you know what an actor looks in the same doesn't seem a nalosis? And it said what's my action? Meaning here's a three page dialogue seeing what do I want? I have to be as an actor? One has to be able to express that in some covenant. You know, uh, I want to seduce, to escape, to leave the room, to go into the room, whatever but that's what it is, and that's not the activity.
Speaker 3: It's what you what you really want.
Speaker 5: Sometimes it's sub in the subtext that's not but that's what you's driving the whole sin. So for me, it's it's very it's very much it's very much a similar similar process.
Speaker 3: And what I want is.
Speaker 5: For the character of Lara to be so alive that you are in the room with a strong personality, okay, and and and she's occupying the totality of herself and the space in the room meaning meaning. And then I secondly is that I think people are way complex and so you'll never quite reach it. But the aspiration is that is to imbue the character, meaning imbue the actor with the same complexity that you have in your life. As complex as your life is, that's how complex this character is supposed to be. And that's what you try to get to. You never quite will get there, right, but that's what you drive for. And so then that means working with with like Penelope or with Adam or Daniel Dan Lewis or anybody. It's how do you build that character? And that begins way before rehearsals. It's not on the set with Enzo. Enzo's passion the engine that makes him go. If you said you will only allow to identify one component, you can't identify half a dozen one.
Speaker 3: It's said he's a race car driver.
Speaker 5: He has that romantic drive, and so that's an Enzo in nineteen twenty two started racing, and he had had the ambition to be a race car driver as somebody who was totally bereft. His father and brother had died, he had no money, he had a spotty education. He just got turned down for a job at Fiat and decided on on a bench at a park in a cold rain, in a moment of despair, he asked himself, who shall I be in this world? Which is completely crazy because the answer is depressed. Understand he at that moment, you know, he believed that transcendence and the kind of static class hierarchies of Italy and that period was actually possible. And he picked the most romantic that you could possibly be at the moment in time, his car driver. And that's that that impulses that drive. So then it becomes that now acquiring along the way, there's a whole host of cultural characteristics. What's his attitude towards women? What's his attitude towards courtship? What is where is he he's irreverent? A reverent against what? Because if you don't acknowledge that there is an authority structure, be it the Catholic Church or in Italy in the nineteen fifties to continue Communist party, then the characteristics of how you're irreverent so enough to make the pope weep said, okay, you know he built, he did build, the Pope will built right, pulp drug rid So I mean it's it's but there's always with with that, you know, there's a tongue in sha.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Then of course there's all the physical stuff, which which is aim six craft, you know at being an actor, the walk, the posture, the weight, what he breathes, the way he you know, people people walk into a strange room, they do they look at different things. Right, if you're a thief, when you walk in a room, the first thing you look at is worth the excerpt.
Speaker 2: You know, let's talking about the race car seats. I mean, you love cars, and I can't believe you.
Speaker 1: Did that race?
Speaker 4: Like what was that?
Speaker 1: When did you do that?
Speaker 4: When you the uh?
Speaker 5: Starting probably in the middle nineties to about two thousand and four, two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: Are you the coolest guy on the planet?
Speaker 5: And off of the course kind of planet started when that's about six or seven years old.
Speaker 3: That's what it takes.
Speaker 2: How was that?
Speaker 1: How was your experience doing that race?
Speaker 3: I mean racing or when I or I made or shooting the.
Speaker 2: Both, because you know you have like what an interesting sort of you actually have you know you experienced it, so you can actually bring that to well.
Speaker 5: You know, as a director, like an actor, you if you experience a if I one practice session, we're racing at Rhode Atlanta, and I think on a Saturday, I did like seventy five layups and once there's there's there's three chicaanes in a row as you approached the back stretch of Rote Atlanta, and once I absolutely nailed it as it filmed. As as a filmmaker, if I do something, if I experience it once, I can project to what it's like.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is what it's supposed to feel like.
Speaker 5: I get it, you know, myself in the car unified, it's a hard it's a kind of a harmonic.
Speaker 3: Organism. Wall one. I'm just thinking a thing and it's half the name. Yeah, it doesn't feel fast, but.
Speaker 5: My laptime is way down or so much faster, but the whole lamp was smooth. So you do one you do if you don't want to kind of get what it's supposed to be. Like I never got really good enough because I'd kind I'd be doing two three races and then there'd be a film. So I go to a film and then the year goes by they come back to it, which is not how you do it.
Speaker 2: I feel like you know, you're making me think of like when new like Paul Newman and Steve McQueen, like one you kind of get once you get the taste of it, it gets in your blood.
Speaker 6: Yeah, welcome back to table for two.
Speaker 2: If you pulled up a chair, we're having lunch with Michael Mann, one of Hollywood's biggest, biggest directors and a director who's worked with some of the biggest stars in Hollywood. Man's movies feature psychological depth and realism, and the characters have truly intricate backstories. How does he manage to pull the best performances out of so many amazing actors? The litany of actors that you have in your film. I mean you're you know, this is the master this is the masterclass. I mean we have I'm just gonna name for you know again, people listening, Michael's director, Jamie Fox, Leo DiCaprio, char Lee's, Jason, Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, Dustin Hoffman, James Comm Daniel d Lewis de Niro, Kilmer, Russell Crowe, Christopher Plumer, Will Smith, Tom Crisse.
Speaker 1: You're like, these are.
Speaker 2: The most iconic actors out there, So, like, one, do you when you're going into a project and you're like, Okay, this is Tom Cruise, do.
Speaker 1: You pivot in a way just like you have a very clearly a.
Speaker 2: Very special talent in working with actors and any things from them.
Speaker 1: Do you pivot based on their personalities, who they are, what you know of their previous work?
Speaker 4: Like, how do you do it? How do you approach? Yeah?
Speaker 1: How do you?
Speaker 5: First of all, it's the deep dive into doing something that hasn't been done before, you know, I think people are always best when they're somewhat of a frontier and the deep dive is is an adventure and and.
Speaker 3: Why not? I wouldn't I couldn't imagine wanting to do it any other way.
Speaker 5: So first of all, someone's wanting to want to come along on that, and then and then we really do do that. So then it's it's so we're talking about Tom and you know he was you know, three months of training. I mean, uh, the of having a kind of where's the socioposity of that character come from? You know, who are these guys?
Speaker 3: For real? What are this? What are the real skill sets?
Speaker 5: And the first thing for me is it's always really important is that I want the actor to be able to do what his character does so thoroughly of such expertise that when he's doing it in the film, he's not thinking about it.
Speaker 3: It's a reflex. He just is that good.
Speaker 5: So that means a lot of time out of the Melle County Sheriffs ranges with you know a lot of safety and supervision and another thing of course, but but you know, actually getting that good and then a lot of I don't know, the second a d maybe he have the second ad who in pre production went to the gym Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On one Wednesday, at seven am, he's leaving the gym. He's going his car he pops the trunk, it feels a hand on his shoulder. There's a post that just got stuck on his back. He turns around. It's Tom who says you're dead. Because unbeknowned this guy Tom had been tailing for an entire week.
Speaker 3: We got his behavioral patterns. We know where we parked this car.
Speaker 5: This is where to do it because there's one way and there's three exits out right, this is this is the place, and you know, and then so so and then it induces a certain kind of attitude and how the sollisism of that character. So you know, there's a lot of training that you know that goes on a lot.
Speaker 3: Of content with with people.
Speaker 5: In this case, a lot of it had to do with a friend of mine who used to be in charge of close quarter combat training for the British essay. Yes, and there's been involved in so many different things.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating to me.
Speaker 2: You know, I think, you know, like you know the so you know, if we go to heap and know it's now and I rewatched it an anticipation of our lunch. It's such a great movie. It's nineteen ninety five. It stands attests of time. But like I thought to myself, here's de Niro and Baccino, like two actors, next level actors. It's this incredible action film. It's it's detective, it's bad guy. It's all these complet complex things. And you don't choose, you know, action heroes. You choose two guys actors that are like okay, you know, you don't choose as Stallone or Schwarzenegger, who are going to be a cop. What spoke to you about these two guys saying okay, because because these are smart?
Speaker 3: Well, two things. One one is one is you know we're talking.
Speaker 5: About physical training and of things that you do. That's just the surface of of acquiring character. I direct from the inside out, so I think of it from the inside out. So most of the directions, particularly on the set, wants to who the who you are as an actor and being grounded than that and having the skills that you have. That's just the activity, that's not really the essences. The essence is these circumstances are making you feel a certain way. On said is because of who you are, because we.
Speaker 3: Got the but who you who you are?
Speaker 5: We acquired that weeks of weeks and weeks ago, right, they make you feel a certain way. So here's the circumstances, and then a stimulum, Uh, the stimulus is coming out, and which could be a line of dialogue or somebody entering a room. And then the reaction I'm always looking for is spontaneous. And so it's about programming and choreographing to create a situation in which the actor of being a certain character has a spontaneous reaction. And then with the spontaneous reaction isn't working for the actor or me, we change the circumstances.
Speaker 3: You're always trying to get to.
Speaker 5: The new and the cosmic opposite of be happy to be said, the direct exactly the opposite, the polar opposite of that from the inside out.
Speaker 3: So to me, he is a drama. It's not.
Speaker 5: It's not a genre. In genre means I maybe genre is something I used to make dramas.
Speaker 3: I don't know. But to me, it's a drama. And and I know what what de Niro's character.
Speaker 5: Was doing when he was enforced to care of the fourth teenth foster family and hand me down clothes, being ostracized by other eleven year olds, but making him angry and anger makes you violence, and he was starting down the road to juvie and gradiator academies and then hits the streets working street crime is a very valuable component because he's probably he has a very he has a very strong aggressive ego, and he has in his self esteem as rock bottom, which means he doesn't care.
Speaker 3: About his body what happens to him.
Speaker 5: And he's just aggressive, right, and that makes him dangerous and violent, and that's where that's who he is when he's seventeen eighteen nineteen, and now he starts to get educated, you know, when he starts hitting a library to try to figure it out. I killed myself or not because I'm doing a lot of time at a time when there are programs, And now he starts reading. And so my experience when I was in fulsome prison, shooting cracle a mile.
Speaker 3: But the way back when how.
Speaker 5: How how smart and how educated and well read a lot of these guys were, and they were requiring knowledge out of necessity. I want to understand my circumstances. I want to understand my life. I'm doing, uh, you know a lot of time, how do I How should I view this?
Speaker 3: Should I do this time?
Speaker 5: Should I just be engaged in fantasy escapes, prison gangs or should I you know?
Speaker 3: Or the and so you know.
Speaker 5: So that's the autodidactic uh evolution of Neil McCauley, who's arrived at a state of place with no attachments and a very precise program about how to succeed in what he's doing.
Speaker 3: When he deviates for that.
Speaker 5: Program because of Edie and he's successful being spontaneous, he loses.
Speaker 3: All his navigational ability. He's like with out a rudder.
Speaker 5: And then he goes for Wingrow, which is something he'd never allow himself to be seduced.
Speaker 3: And at the beginning of the film, right right, and so then it becomes a story, you know.
Speaker 5: And then there was a big challenge in that film to me, was so exciting about it is to have everybody has everybody's three dimensional, Every character has a life. Everybody character has things going on in their life and rotating amongst all of them as it drives. And it is dialectic to just the two guys Alan Bob, who are unique in the sense that both of them are totally self aware. There's no self deception, right, They're the only two people like that.
Speaker 7: Within they made up universe of key.
Speaker 2: So when you're then looking at a character, you're looking you know, you get the script or you write the script or you see you're now doing the work.
Speaker 1: You Michael Mann, you're going back. It's what makes your.
Speaker 4: Movies so incredibly riveting.
Speaker 2: I now understand that all the sub that we don't know the fact that okay, you know, he was fourteen years old and this is what was happening in his life that and this is what happened when he was in prison, and like, we don't know that, but that's vital to you.
Speaker 3: Bet it's vital.
Speaker 2: I mean, has it been challenging sometimes to sit with I mean you you are working with, you know, incredible people when they're not quite understanding if there's a difference of saying like oh okay, like or it sounds like there's also a spontaneity effect where you you allow the room for like okay, well let's you know, how much do you give them when you say, okay, this is the backstory.
Speaker 5: Of oh all the backstories we go through reverendent, but we do for little stuff. I mean, Bob and I went to Falsome and we're walking on we're in the yard you know, because this is where he spent like this formative years of his life. Or some guy comes up to us kind of a straw straw hat and he said, hey, Mike, how you doing? And I said, okay, how are you? And it took me a minute to recognize this guy was a convict. So how are you always it good? So my kids are okay, wasn't sheena? Like one of my kids is at usc or something? Wasn't cheto?
Speaker 3: Was something else?
Speaker 5: I don't And he's talking to me like we had seen each other two months ago. So this is nineteen ninety four. I saw this guy and knew this guy in nineteen seventy nine. He was in prison, he was in folsome like did a juacho mile?
Speaker 4: Okay? And and what's so you haven't seen him since I have seen since?
Speaker 5: And what's so bizarre about it is how is this guy processing time?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, fascinating man.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And because you fifteen years of going by?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I realized that, and I talked about that's I realized that so much is uneventful. So all the uneventful days into your collapse, and the only thing that you recall the days in which there was an event. So it's not three hundred and sixty five days a year. It maybe seven, eight, nineteen, whatever it is, And so time is processed in a different way.
Speaker 1: They just disappear.
Speaker 2: He's picking up where he left off. Yeah, they disappeared and say, hey, Michael, how you doing. Like it's like like you said so yesterday.
Speaker 4: This is wild.
Speaker 1: And I think the complexities of what you bring to the characters.
Speaker 4: In your movies just you see it. You see it in the actors.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a big bit.
Speaker 3: That's the actionable part of it. That's what it's there to be. It informs so many things.
Speaker 5: The it's not good for a podcast that you're listening to, but you see somebody picks up a glass of water like this, Yeah, and folsom.
Speaker 3: You pick it up like this when he's clear something about exactly when neural takes the the when.
Speaker 5: He has sucks at night the first time and he leaves, he's wrapped the napkin around the glass. They that's because it's absolutely habitual that you express yourself in the microcosm of living in a small cell with few material objects, and so you do things like use paper to wrap around flash the glass to pick up the condensation. I mean it was a kind of precision. Thing is absolutely pushing habits. So you're picking up all these things, I mean, all this.
Speaker 2: Stuff, and it's all in those details that you bring that you know are so fascinating because I remember seeing him put the glass down and not quite understanding what.
Speaker 1: But there was also a compassion to it.
Speaker 5: I felt there's both a compassions of generosity, compassion, and something rangely precise about you know, the way he's folded a spiece of paper.
Speaker 3: Right. And these anomalies are okay because of their current life.
Speaker 5: So if your audience and you're seeing anomalies that have to have to be authentic.
Speaker 3: They can't be gratuitious. We're seeing these anomalies show up.
Speaker 5: I mean, why is there a burning car when Jeffrey Whygan, an insider is coming off the freeway and may be arrested?
Speaker 3: The answers I don't know.
Speaker 4: But it felt like a really great thing to do.
Speaker 8: So it made some kind of subconscious sense, you know, of all, you've done so many movies and you've done incredible television.
Speaker 1: Was that a game changer? Was that like, oh this is okay, this is.
Speaker 5: This is not not any I mean each one, not really, I mean it was. I mean last Ohican's Hawkeye and and his step follower and step brother.
Speaker 3: Are our face with the imminent annihilation.
Speaker 5: Of who they are, of who these people are, and and they're also looking at what the progress, which is the frontier, you know, as as that zone between where we are and where we're gonna be, and how that inform uh those issues informed that character. You know, he was this large, quantitative you know uh fuglac things, which best I loved about it. What you're really asking is, you know, why do I do it? Well, that's os They're all kinds of different and by the time I got done doing that and I LEI, which had a whole different but they're all there, all very large scale narratives and physically they're they're big pictures too, but the.
Speaker 3: Narratives are all very large scale.
Speaker 5: So then that's why Collateral was so appealing to me, because it took place in one night, and it's also you know, totally refractive. Each character becomes the agent of the other characters realizations.
Speaker 2: So he too, we're talking about he too here or maybe and you know, you know, when you look at something like He Too, and you look about the casting of He Too.
Speaker 4: Like, are you in development of sort of like I'm writing the screenplayer right now?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: So is it like?
Speaker 5: And it comes from having so much background and then projecting where some of these lives go. I had to figure out is a device a story that can keep the end of it and the beginning of it. There's a prequel and a sequel starts eighty eight. It jumps over the movie. It actually starts on the first day after the end of the movie with val Calm. We're trying to get out of Laka and he's half delirious and wounded and half delirious. And then but then it goes back to nineteen eighty eight and they're very different people because they are They're not the people they are in the movie. It's the events of eighty eight that made them into the people that they are in the movie. Wait, so de Nuro de Niro character Neil McCauley is deep into a relationship with a woman. He has her stepdaughter, he has all these attachments. Wow, and you know, and then what happens with you know in two thousand and tex Us into a whole different worlds of right, transnational organized crime and shared a less stay was a pre trade zone in South America and Southeast Asia, and it moves.
Speaker 1: I love it, do you. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize A He Too was going to be a prequel sort of bring you into sort of that where they all came from, which is so fascinating, and it's like, so such an opportunity. Do you, dude, once you kind of make an announcement like that, but do you just have litany of the crane by the crops saying think of me, think of me, think of me.
Speaker 1: Do you actually write with anyone in mind to say, okay, you know what this is?
Speaker 4: This actor?
Speaker 2: You know, because now you're also there with He Too. It sounds like there's a since it's de Niro and Pacino early that's forming potentially a casting or a thought process.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I can't. I can't.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's here's a couple of conversations with some people, but I can't really completely chaost until the screenplay is right.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So, but the benefit here is that the book did extremely well.
Speaker 5: When the book came out, you know, and the number one New York times best solo, which is totally bizarre for Epithets that I'd been.
Speaker 3: Writing a book period. That's secondly that it would actually do well.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on table for two. So many of the characters in Michael Mann's films feel like they could exist in the real world, and I'm interested to know if he draws inspiration from the people he meets in his day to day life. Is having dinner with you maybe one of the most interesting things for people. I mean, like, because you know, you seem like you're just so interested in human behavior and human stories and people's stories. Do you often find yourself just connecting with people? And I think having dinner with you would be like the most amazing thing because you would just be like, if there's eight people at the table, you, I think, in your mind even be like kind of trying to understand where they came from.
Speaker 5: It's actually worse than that, because I actually when I see somebody who's you know, is dressed or presenting themselves extreme manner, I'm immediately thinking, if I have to have a character like that, how do I get them to be extreme? Oh, that's a good example. I'm constantly looking at people like you never, you know, I mean that is my wife is usually we've been married for four to nine years, so she's used to this by now. You know, our history is related to let's see that was between this movie and that movie. Right the bas are all like, oh yeah, that's when we're last the Mohicans, you know, And so constantly I think, if I had to career create a scene in a noisy restaurant with strange looking people, you know.
Speaker 1: This is this isn't that person.
Speaker 2: One of the things that you do brilliantly and you've made such like an effect, is you know, the music you bring into your films, the cultural phenomenon of your films.
Speaker 1: You know, I know Miami Vice. You know, you made film and Miami Vice.
Speaker 2: You also the television series that you know that you set a tone of a whole decade. You know, that's very interesting. And you also made TTV more like feature which I mean the car races that you were doing on the show, all that stuff way before, because you know that's something that happens now, but you did it way before. Like what did you look at TV as a medium? And you know, going back to the listener, you know Vegas, which I grew up. I could tell you the Wednesday night lineup. It was Charlie eight is Enough, Charlie's Angels Vegas, Like I remember that. I was watching those, you know, that was my favorite night of television until I was sent like, get your ass in bed, you know, your school the next day after Vegas at eleven o'clock.
Speaker 1: Then were you surprised by that?
Speaker 2: But it's sort of like what happened that sort of explosion with Donaldson.
Speaker 3: I wasn't surprised at all.
Speaker 5: In fact, there was a dinner that we had the chast but back before the piloteer, and there with the whole cast, picked.
Speaker 3: Dinner like twenty people.
Speaker 5: And I said to him and said, you don't understand that after tomorrow night, your life's gonna be different.
Speaker 3: Nobody believed me.
Speaker 4: And the reason is.
Speaker 5: Because where as Tony Yorko wrote such a great script, a two hour pilot for it was called Gold Coaster. Originally I changed it to Miami Vice, but Tony created the show. He wrote, he wrote it. It was such a great idea, and you know, and then everything kind of flows from that. You know, the world was amount of Miami those days was beige the higher South Beach beige. It's like there's some kind of World War ship plus glut of tan paint it splighting into ul city bage.
Speaker 4: So really horrible.
Speaker 3: So and people and walkers and.
Speaker 5: And so you know, I did some research as to what it looks like in the in the twenties and thirties, you know, and then that's what all these viper pastels.
Speaker 2: So we changed it all back to the you created South Beach. I mean, you created the whole thing that continued on to Yeah, and some of the.
Speaker 5: Hotels that were now well no one had like you know, bar doors and renting rooms by the hour and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: That did you when you were casting Don Johnson, did you say this is this is the guy. I mean, you said this is the guy that like what was it about don?
Speaker 5: You know that you said he had a certain whiskey voice and a certain mentalents re pepperment that that was just there was it was perfect for that for that character. And he had he hadn't really landed on that a thing that really walked and this this was and he was just perfect for the guy. I mean, the same time thing with Philip Michael Thomas, two of that and then almost midway through the first season. It's because I wanted I wanted the shows jesuit with a lowercase of jay. I wanted a character who was represented the analogy. To me, what I liked about the show was that it was anti disco, right, Okay, this was I hated.
Speaker 3: This you did?
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean the music wasn't bad.
Speaker 1: It is very sexy.
Speaker 3: It was good music, but I hated so to me it was you know, it was like you know, rock and roll, you know, right, just like it was.
Speaker 1: Weaving those cards was all rock, no adult.
Speaker 5: I wanted somebody who had a sense of existential, sense of authenticity, responsibility for your actions, and that.
Speaker 3: Became the almost yeah, almost his character.
Speaker 1: I mean skinny black though, yeah, the skin please.
Speaker 2: You created the whole look of my pastel suits with T shirts underneath it, you know, like the whole color scheme.
Speaker 1: You changed what the colors men wore.
Speaker 2: How much time do you spend thinking about like the I mean even the music, the sounds, you know, all of that coming in big time?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: To me, I I wanted, I like to have the music and pre production, yeah, because sometimes if you could find the right fish of music, it becomes a kind of a poetic modul or of oh yeah, here's how it's supposed to feel, so that when you find yourself on a Tuesday lost, like wait in.
Speaker 3: A minute, what am I doing here? Why is this the way that should go?
Speaker 4: This way?
Speaker 3: That direction?
Speaker 5: I could's piece of music and say, oh yeah, this is how I'm supposed to This is how this scene's supposed to make me fail. You know.
Speaker 2: So the music is really important, even you know, heat the music was like it's just gripping of all this, Like this posse of human beings that you've worked with, that you have directed that you have to make really brought out these incredible performances. Was there anyone that you know walking in that you were like, Okay, I'm either super nervous about it, or I'm a little hesitant about it.
Speaker 1: Or like, guy, I'm like, wow, this is I don't know what's going to happen here.
Speaker 5: You know, usually before I'm going to work with de Niro or or Petrino, I'm you know, obviously, I know that I have to there there, I know where they are. I know I have my game has got to be to be at the top of my game. Yeah, I have to know absolutely everything. And I think that when you're totally prepared and you know what everything, that liberates you to also be improvisational, to be spontaneous. You could do it off the confidence of having a really solid, really solid platform. And then it's it's, uh, you know, it's my responsibility. I view it to be able to talk to that actor in the language work that's that he uses about exacting process, so there is no school in the Fox. I would be directing Bail in a different way that I'd be directing Alibab or yeah, or or or or animal. You know, Penelope the one actor who I can say I was absolute sweetheart, but I was was very distant, not that just distant in a good way because he was so self contained, which was John Voight.
Speaker 3: And I'm talking about John Voyd, you know, prior to ninety five.
Speaker 5: I'm talking about in the late eighties, early nineties, and of absolutely the same stature as Ala, Bob or John. And one of the one about one of the one of the real thrills of working on Heat is that we became like an ensemble company. So Valve would show up for a scene he wasn't in to see how Bob was going to do something or Al's isn't so? And I'd known John and he would. We used to We've met a couple of times for coffee at Duke's when Dukes was out of Santa Michael Boulevard, and you know, and there was always something I'll steer about him. Yeah, and you know, and then the absolutely dreamed to work with and then we worked again as as he hilarious. Was the most difficult times I had was on the set of Ali with with with John as Howard Cassell, because after four hours of makeup, he was Howard Coselle NonStop.
Speaker 3: And then he had you know, Jamie Fox and Will Smith. Ye.
Speaker 5: Once we're setting up lighting, these guys are talking to twenty five hundred extras and it becomes, you know, all kind.
Speaker 4: Of cabaret and it stups.
Speaker 3: And I never had a character, and so it was hilarious. So everybody's standing around, I'm trying twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: Come on, I've got to like you.
Speaker 1: Is great.
Speaker 2: I've really enjoyed my lunch with Michael Mann today, and I hope you have to. In addition to being an amazing director, he has a ton of fascinating tales. And I wonder, given his lengthy and illustrious career, what lessons has he learned along the way.
Speaker 1: Do you have any advice that.
Speaker 2: Was given to you in your life that changed your life when it came to movies and filmmaking, or you know, early on, or advice that you would give because he's changed so much, the business changed so much.
Speaker 3: I had a man who was a the Tripper guy named bab Luwan, and he was.
Speaker 5: He was running the writing on a on the show I was about to go forward, and he read a script I wrote, and he said, his dialogue is really great, and you would not know what the story was if it ran you over.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna teach you you know the story is, you know.
Speaker 5: And he kind of became a mentor for me in writing about story structure. The show was Starskin Hutch and that I wrote, Uh. Bill Blynn wrote the pilot, But then the pilot aired and in a year later the episodes came on.
Speaker 3: So I wound up writing the first four or five of the of the of the opening season as it turned out.
Speaker 5: But but he really absolutely mentored me and a very formalist approach the story the story and the and again the rigid kind of authenticity that's really required to write the story structure, and you can't indulge yourself in all the disciplines.
Speaker 2: Stark another fan favorite of mine growing up. I mean, those were those were all and they all were mixed with you know, the crime, solving it humor, Huggy Bear. You know, you had all these characters that were very kind of complex too, like you know, and as you know.
Speaker 5: There's also a cigarette I discovered I wrote in the line of dialogue they drive a truck through the front window of a store. And then I was watching the episode and they drove a truck to the front window.
Speaker 3: Of a store. Because I wrote it, I realized I could write this stuff and people are.
Speaker 5: Going to go do it.
Speaker 3: There's cool. So a young writer, you know, in the early Stemmaries, this was like a real revelation.
Speaker 2: You were an amazing filmmaker and having lunch with you on Table for two is an honor, sir, Thank you for joining me today.
Speaker 4: Pleasure.
Speaker 1: Everyone who's pulled up at go Sie Ferrari and mister Man, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you really pleasure.
Speaker 2: Table for two with Bruce Bosi is produced by iHeartRadio seven three seven Park and Airmail. Our executive producers are Bruce Bosi and Nathan King. Our supervising producer and editor is Dylan Fagan. Table for two is researched and written by Jack Sullivan. Our sound engineers are Jess Crainich, Evan Taylor and Jesse Funk. Our music supervisor is Randall Poster. Our talent booking is done by Jane Sark. Table for two Social media manager is Gracie Wiener. Special thanks to Amy Sugarman, Uni Sharer, Kevin y Vane, Bobby Bauer, Alison Kanter, Graber, Barbara Jen, Jeff Klein, and the staff at The Tower Bar in a world famous Sunset Tower hotel in Hollywood. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.