Speaker 1: As a late fifteen to ten touched up Chargers.
Speaker 2: What's up, guys, We are back with a brand new episode of Chargers Weekly three weeks until the twenty twenty four NFL Draft, but business at Hope Performance Center this week April second Baby, as always, joined by Bat Buddy Smith and Buddy. You were there for the start of the off season program. You got to listen to the pressers. We have a ton of questions that we will get to and we've throughout our episode today, but just want to give you the floor again first on just your reaction to the start of a new era of Chargers football.
Speaker 1: Man, it's you know, I'm not gonna name names. It'd be a lot of people that perhaps the folks listen and aren't aren't familiar with, but you know people that we work with that are part of the Chargers staff, and just feel it. Man. You can feel the juice, you can feel the bounce, you can feel the electricity, you can feel the excitement people that are in the building every single day. It is infectious. It is palpable, and I think the sliver, the the whatever it might have come out to an hour, hour and change of pressers from those three individuals I think, you know, sort of speaks and gives you a tiny glimpse into what life is like every day and how committed you know this staff is and these new men are. You know, these men are to building a championship caliber football and it it permeates, man, I could. I could feel it and talking to all the people that that we've been around for the last you know, eight years, and how it's taken over that facility and a new culture is is being installed.
Speaker 2: So Jim Harball, you can listen to him talk for hours. Hayden Hurst was great, but you know, the main event was Ben Herbert and I don't know if I've seen somebody in his position get the floor like that in an NFL press conference. It was remarkable and I think it leads to the first question that we have from our buddies at Charger Chat podcast. Dude, that Ben Herbert press conference was intense. I've never heard of strength and conditioning philosophy like that. What kind of impact do you think he will have on our players and team. It's better for me and you to just let Ben give that answer.
Speaker 3: The first goal is to make you harder to break. People often may say training, we're gonna break, We're going to break you down and build you up. My goal is not to break you. My goal is to make you harder to break. How are we going to go about doing that? How we train your neck in traps to protect your head? Right, The most vulnerabilary is of the body, in my opinion, in the game of football, the head, right and left shoulder, right and left hip girdle, right and left hamstring, right and left ankle. So through your training you have to be proactive at training those areas of the body. So the network that I introduced today, the trap work, the four part cuff sequence to address the four rotator cuff muscles in their shoulder girdle, introduced them to some hip work, introduced them to some ankle work. Right, These are things that are paramount. If you want to make a football player harder to break, your training has to be sound in my opinion, it's all my opinion. Your training has to be sound in those areas. So that's goal number one.
Speaker 1: Make you harder to break.
Speaker 3: Goal number two And it has to do more with here than like I say to the guys here, consistency, your ability to show up every day and repeatedly do what you are capable of doing. Consistency is incredibly valuable. Attention to detail, right, there's a way we do things. There's a way we train, and there's a way we like when we had two and a half pound plates we use today, and when they put those plates back, the plates are stacked and they're about ten two and a half pound plates high. When they put them back, they put them back a certain way. Every it says rogue at the top of the plate. Every rogue is perfectly square. Doesn't matter if it's the second plate or the tenth plate. It goes back precisely, no different than a DB's eyes or his footwork, or an offensive lineman's feet or his hand placement. Like ways we practice attention to detail. We train a certain way, but we also how we keep the room, just how we do everything. There's a certain level of detail involved in that. And then emotional stability. You will never see me some guys coaches. One of them, Chris Hinton's a guy that's you know, we were together at Michigan. These guys, they've they've been around me. One couple some guys a couple of months. I don't change, meaning a coach orb got the juice today, he's feeling good, he's happy, he's excited. Well, then it rains and I feel a certain type of way. Or I told you guys, I have a wife, two boys, two dogs. I have a car with four tires. If I get a flat tire, I'm not going to take it out on you if something happens. I don't change emotionally when I walk in the facility. Who you know me to be is who I am every day. It's never changed. This is my twenty third year knowing people that knew me nineteen ninety eight or two thousand and two would say, yeah, today I'm that same person. Emotional stability incredibly important. And then bigger, faster, stronger. I want to improve range of motion and tissue and joint. I want to give you more pressing capability. I want to make you improve your acceleration, your top end speed. All of these things we call them key performance indicators that have to do with flexibility, mobility, strength and power, agility and speed. And when you think of those three things help make a guy harder to break. Consistency, attention to detail, emotional stability, bigger, faster, stronger, more mobile and flexible. That's what you can how you can describe.
Speaker 2: Our program money so much there. My favorite part was the attention to detail part talking about the road plates and putting them perfectly. And it reminds me of a book that I read Legacy about the All Blacks, the rugby team sweeping the sheds. You know, just just the little attention to detail and how he correlated it to a DB's eyes and and what you do on the football field. I just found it remarkable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think a lot of it, you know, in many of those books, your your leadership books, you know, Captain Class, the you know, the Boys in the Boat, like all of those. Look, there's a reason why it's included, you know, because it works. It works, and you know, I think it's not comfortable if you're you know, busting your tail and you're throwing iron around for an hour and you get a guy breathing down your neck because you put a plate a quarter of an inch, you know, off the mark where he wants it. You know, that can create some uncomfortable situations. And the point there is don't care, you know, because your eyes drift and as he described it, you know, you move three inches the wrong way and and and it's over. You know, you're supposed to have inside leverage, and oh, I missed it by just an inch though, Yeah, it plays over. And that's you know, it is a microcosm of what they're creating, and that is attention to detail. That every inch matters, that every step matters, that every glance and where you're looking, where your eyes go matter. There's like, there's a reason why we played the entire four minutes because you can listen to it over and over again and there's there and look, there's a reason why the Chargers made him available because they know they know his messaging. They know how on point he is, how precise he is, how good of a communicator he is. And I don't think that can be you know, I don't think that can be overstated, that he communicates well, that he explains the why you know, when when you know he's talking about two and a half plates. If you know, I had to go through shoulder rehabs, so I know what that feels like. It is not fun, man, two and a half pound plates when I had to rehab my ac joint that I separated, you know, three hundred percent. That's what I was working with. I was working with one pound and two pounds and your shoulder is out and you're doing your arm circles and you're holding it over your head and you're doing front and man, I can guarantee you those two and a half pound plates did some work on Monday at the facility, and so I think it just breeds, it breeds that culture of there's a there's a method here, there is a method that's going to carry us past to finish line and win a race, not just participate. This is how we win the race. We're all participants. Do you want to win? You know? Do you want to participate or do you want to win? Because we're trying to train you to win. And I think that's what a lot of that. And look, I've just finished with this. You know, the main part of his thirty minutes that he talked with us was all about, you know what, making you harder to break. You can't win the race if you can't finish it. So I think that's that's where it all starts. Let's make sure we finish the race, and let's make sure we're running it to win and that's sort of you know what I felt the philosophy that shared, you know that the philosophy that he shared, that's kind of how it hit me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love how he kicked it off too. He says, I'm not trying to break you. I'm trying to make you harder to break. And that's one of the things Hayden Hurst talked about. Hayden Hurst played for John Harball and this is a very similar operation. They want to beat you up and they want to be the last team standing in the fourth quarter. And Hayden talked about that philosophy.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think everybody in this league, they're a big, strong, fast athletic. But when you have a system like this where you get guys to buy in and collectively fight for one another, and you turn it into a street fight like what we did in Baltimore, you know, just you're gonna out tough people because not everybody wants to do that for sixty minutes. You know, it's it's a tough game and stuff doing that twenty weeks for sixty minutes. And I think these coaches, with you know, playing for John and playing for Jim, they expect to wear teams out at the end, and if you're not going to do it, they're going to find somebody to do it.
Speaker 2: So, buddy, these are just these are the types of players that Jim Harball wants to bring in, people that are familiar with what they're trying to accomplish, to get everybody on the same page. And these are the things April second, from here on out, these are the moments that are going to prepare this team to be that last team standing in the fourth quarter, because, as hayden Hurst said, there's a lot of teams that don't want to play that way, that don't want to play sixty minutes, that don't want to tough it out with ten minutes left in the fourth quarter, and this team is training right now to be one of those toughest teams in the NFL.
Speaker 1: It was. It was my favorite thirty seconds of the day. It really was, because it's one thing. You know, coaches have messaging, they have talking points, they have philosophies, but if the players don't buy in, it doesn't matter. Right. So to hear this, to hear a player say it, to hear a player say the words, if you're not willing to do it, They'll find somebody else. That's that to me is what were you know was the most impactful sentence of the entire day. It's not a coach saying it. It's a player saying, Hey, I lived it. I know what this looks like. And you know, this week I do the radio show with Petros. Petros was a short yardage back. You know, you can think about what that is in a Division one you know football, you know, in Division one football for a team like USC and what you're asked to do and how you're asked to play the game. And I talked, you know, and Lorenzo and I do the do the Belief stuff every week, and they both had the exact same response. Number One, they loved it. They ate it up. It's their brand of football. It's a brand that they believe works and and I think each of them shared something very insightful coming from players that were asked to play this way. And you know, it was you know, Lowe was talking about blocking fer Ladinian and going to the sideline and saying to you know, whomever was there at the time coordinating the d, hey, he's turning it down, man, he goes It's late in the fourth quarter, and I'm going to the side saying, this is what we're running. When we get back on the field, I can tell you right now, have him follow me. He's done, he's done, he's tapped out. Let's go and let he goes in. And that's how we would win games. And that's how we would close it out because I could feel it. I could feel our team breaking the will you know, and Petros explained it this way, and I don't think people you know, and I've heard it said before. You know the there's two goals. Really, it boils down to two goals in the sport of football, forward progress preventing forward progress. That's all it is. The side that has the ball is attempting to progress forwardly. The team that is not possessing the ball is attempting to prevent you from progressing forward. It's that simple. How you choose to do that is up to you. But that's what it boils down to. And you ask any old line, you ask any tight end. Do you ask any fullback you want to be going forward, you want to be going backward? What would you prefer to do? Yeah, they all want to go forward, and they all want to go forward and get to a point where they break your will. And that's that's what was conveyed in that quick statement. There might be able to do it for the first quarter, and you can stop it. It's not a complex powers not a complex play, you know, duo's not that complex. You know, run in between the gas not that complex. You can stop it, but can you stop it when it's minute fifty six and it's a tie game? And that's what Hayden hr spoke to the other thing I'll add with it real quick, Chris, you know what I loved about that answer to and he didn't break stride. He said it, Are they willing to do it for twenty games? Not seventeen divisional round, championship round, Super Bowl seventeen plus three? Are they willing to do it for twenty Are they willing to play sixty minutes of street fight, beat the living snot out of each other football for twenty games? He said? And there's very few teams willing to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it's very important for Chargers fans to understand that talent is only one slice of the pie when you talk about a championship team. Yes, talents has left the organization in the form m keenan Allen and Mike Williams and some other players. But talent's one slice of it. Scheme and coaching is another part of it, and we'll get into Jesse Mitterer and some of his philosophy and the things he likes to do and how they disguise things. But will is the probably the biggest part of it. Are you willing to do something that other teams are not willing to do? And that's where this offseason program sets the foundation for that for Chargers fans. One last clip money, This is Jim Harball talking about building his players.
Speaker 5: You know, what you're striving for is the the player that you know plays within the scheme, really knows his job schematically and can make the adjustments, make the calls, you know, combined with a superior athlete. You know, if somebody doesn't know what they're doing, uh, and they're a superior athlete, they're probably gonna get beat by the one who really knows what they're doing and is a is a is a really good athlete. So yeah, really really learning what we're doing schematically and what what each person's job is and how it fits with with all eleven plus making your you know, going from good athlete, the better athlete, to great athlete to superior athlete. I mean, we're trying to make that that combination because you can you can't train yourself to be you know, better, stronger, more, more agile, more flexible, uh more, lean, muscle mass less fat and fat's the enemy of speed. Uh So We've had a lot of similar, similar ideas about football and bottom line, just trying to get get better at football, trying to get really good at football.
Speaker 2: He always has a fantastic one liner or three or four one liners to come out of a presser. Fat is the enemy of speed was my favorite. And this is a question from keV that kind of kind of rolls right into coach Harball. Is it crazy for me to think that under Jim Harball the Chargers will never finish below ten wins in any one season. I don't know the answer to that, keV, but I know what's being built right now. In his track record of success, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this Charges team was a ten win seasons of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Look, the Chiefs are the best team in football, right That's it impossible to argue that they've won three Super Bowls in four years so or you know, but are they the most consistent? And by that I mean yes, they have made the postseason every the AFC Championship Game for that matter, every single season since Patrick Mahomes has been there. That's consistent. But I am talking about a Baltimore Ravens team that, over the course of twenty plus years, has always been in contention for or has won their division and has punched their ticket to the postseason. And I know I've said it before, and I don't want to say it, you know, because I know everybody that listens, I don't want to keep repeating myself. But that is all you're looking for. That is what you are seeking, a chance to participate in the postseason. Because once you get in now you just need to execute, and sometimes it goes your way and sometimes it doesn't. But just think about the Bills and how close they were before that special team's air and that special team's touchdown, you know, think about the Ravens that gave that game away with dumb ass penalties and dumb ass plays by Jay Flowers at the goal line and Lamar Jackson throwing into the you know, just a ridiculous interception in the end zone, but they were able to compete. And that's what I believe at the core of all of this is a brand of football that allows you to be in every game and gives you an opportunity to win in the final five to ten minutes, which is how most of these games are decided, and gives you an opportunity to chase ten wins, which is what you need to get to get into the postseason. How do we play football to get an opportunity to win or hang on you to snatch a win from defeat, or to hold off defeat in the final five minutes, And how do we find how do we develop something that can win ten games, because that's how we get into the postseason and then let the chips fall where they may.
Speaker 2: This is not an expansion team, but it's a completely different culture. There's so much to be excited about. A new GM, a new head coach, and new staff, new players, and we have so many questions. Buddy, I know that we're not going to get to all of them today. We're going to put them to next week. But we'll try to get through as many as possible. A lot of draft questions will start with Doug Beckham despite a theoretical Vikings trade back earning quote positive trade value five for eleven and twenty three and a future third. Would it be regretful to pass on paring Herbert with a big time blue chip receiver with this possibly being the only chance to do that through the draft. It's a great question. I'm gonna start each of these draft questions with whatever Joe Hortiz thinks is best and whatever Jim Harbaugh thinks is best. Who are we to argue with a guy who's been in that Baltimore Ravens organization for two plus decades and a guy who has won at every level. But I will say that, you know, I use Daniel Jeremiah as gospel when it comes to projecting these players in his top fifty. And he has Marvin Harrison as his second player, he has Roma Dunsay as his third player, he has Moliite Neighbors as his fourth player. So if there is not a trade partner for the Chargers at five, and you can get a Marvin Harrison, a Elite Neighbors, or a Roma Dunze there at five, pair him with Justin Herbert on a rookie contract. I think that that's not going to be something anybody is upset about money.
Speaker 1: So here's I just came to this through the course of the week and I was talking to some people and it just kind of came up in our conversation. And I'm I'm sure I'm not the first person to bring it up, because it just it hit me like a diamond bullet right between the eyes. They're going to trade back because and here's why, because they want more picks, right, they want more picks to populate this roster with players that sound and believe in what they do, like Hayden Hurst believes in what they do. That could be Marvin Harrison, that could be romaduneesay. But let's just say, and this is all predicated on this not being smoke and it really being four quarterbacks that really there are teams chasing four quarterbacks that Jayden Daniels is not going to slide, Drake May's not going to slide, and JJ McCarthy's not gonna slide. We already know kayle the Williams is going number one. That is to compley. So if that's the case. If you are Arizona, you hold currently picks five and twenty seven. Why would you not trade knowing that the Chargers want to trade back, why would you not trade four for eleven and twenty three? And before you consummate that deal, you called Joe Ortis Massie Austin Ford calls Joe Ortiz and says, hey, I'm gonna trade you eleven and twenty seven. All right, I'm gonna get eleven and twenty three for number four from the Vikings. I want Marvin Harrison Junior. And all I'm doing is moving up four spots from twenty seven to twenty three. I'm giving you our second first rounder. I'm giving you eleven. I'm coming back to five, and I'm taking Marvin Harrison. And you're gonna get your two first rounders that you were passed over for because we did the deal with the Vikings. So you're still getting to You're just picking four slots late. It makes too much sense. It makes way too much sense for the Cardinals to do that knowing that it feels like the Chargers want more picks and for them and they may say you.
Speaker 2: Got to clip this, man, Hey, we got to clip this. If this happens, and if.
Speaker 1: I were Joe Ortiz, I would think about saying, you know what, how about this? How about you keep twenty seven. You can have five and twenty three and twenty seven. I want your second and your third, give me eleven, your two and your three, and now they can maybe get out with you know, eleven and thirty four, or it would be thirty six, thirty seven and two and they now they have a one, two, two's, two threes, two fours. How about that? How about that to get things started for this team? It just to me, it lines up. It's too obvious that it works out that way. And at eleven, you can take maybe the number one corner. You can take one of your offensive linemen that are likely graded very closely to one another, be it Alt and Fuaga and Fetanu and Latham whomever that may be, Forshanu, whoever that may be. Or you can take Quenya Mitchell the number one corner. You could take one of the dns. There's so you can take Blake, you can take brock Bowers, maybe a Donesday slides Like to me, it just it's so obvious, It is so obvious to me that that's how this thing should play out.
Speaker 2: We so there's a there's a clip circulating this week. I'm sure it's been around for a while, but it was Badia support last year on the phones. Did you see that? It's it's a it's a three minute clip money where he is doing the trade with Houston. He's on the phone with Detroit and it's like, it's just it's theater. It's three and a half minutes. And this is kind of an amazing insight into the war room and maybe what the Chargers are going to be doing all draft night, minutes before they select, and you know, like your deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah you're Rikers. It's exactly what he did last year. It's the exact same thing. They wanted Paris Johnson and they were like whatever, they still got their guy. They added a first. They would do the exact same thing this year. I haven't seen it yet, but that's I'm glad you brought it up because that's exactly the scenario that I am painting. And it just makes right, am I crazy? It makes way too much sense.
Speaker 2: It does, especially if you want to build your team. Now I will because we have so many Marvin Harrison Junior questions. Okay, well listen and I get it. You are enamored with Marvin Harrison junior or myliite neighbors. How realistic would it be for the Chargers to take mylaque neighbors if Marvin Harrison Junior is still on the board at five, Well, you just laid out the reason for trading out. I went back and listen to or I read an article. This is after Ohio State in Michigan played and Minter did a masterful job on kind of limiting Marvin Harrison Junior. He still got his But Jesse Minner, this was a quote for Jesse Minner about Marvin Harrison Junior. He's probably one of the best college receivers in the last fifteen to twenty years, one of the best NFL draft prospects at that position in a long time. So that's Jesse Minner saying that Jim Harball, he's a great player, gotta be covered. You gotta slow him down is probably the better word. So I agree with you. I think that they need to build this roster route and get as many guys as possible if you don't have a trade partner, though, I just wonder if the connection to Marvin Harrison Junior through that game and playing in the Big Ten is enough to be like, you know what, we know this guy's work ethic. He was unbelievably impossible to guard. If he's on our team with Justin Herbert, Wow, But what if Joe Ortiz likes Malik neighbors or roam with Dunsee better. You know, I just think that there's a lot of questions that we don't know inside that war room about what number five is. But going back to your last point, I can see them trying to trade out and really building this roster route at a myriad of positions, maybe in favor of one of those top three guys.
Speaker 1: So look, I always feel like I have to explain myself because people get so upset at the idea of them not taking one of these three. Yeah, So I'll lay it out like this. You know, I have I have scar tissue. I have Jim Harbaughs scar tissue because I've I lived it like I lived it. I lived it when I called college football games, and it's one of the greatest things I've ever seen. I'm not gonna lie. I mean, I'm calling the game nationally. I'm a neutral. I'm calling the game neutral. And it never bled through. I'm not gonna lie. It never bled through on the broadcast. But I can tell you right now, in my heart and in my football soul what I wanted, and I wanted Stanford to win every game because it was fascinating to me to watch. I had called all these Pac twelve games with all this finesse on the field and wide receivers and spread it out and air it out. And Jim Harbass showed up at Stanford and simply said, we're gonna bust your ass up. We are gonna come in here, and it's a pain in the ass to recruit, and I can't get the athletes that you have. So you're gonna get all your five star wide receivers and your fancy play on the edges running back, and I am going to get the best olignement and I'm gonna get guys that want to fight, and we are going to beat the living hell out of you and you're gonna quit. And I watch and it happened on and Lorenzo didn't mean to say it, but he said it, and it it just hit me. He's like you know. And he didn't mean to make a point as he said it. He said, I love hearing this, you know, because the NFL has become such a finest league. And I was just like, I'm reliving this like I'm I'm reliving it right now. I can remember talking to coach on the field with Curtis Conway, who's doing the games with me, and him just talking about it's finesse league, man. No one's no one's finesse conference. No one's built to slow us down. They're all playing with five defensive backs out there. These linebackers are two hundred and twenty pounds, and he would go out credit card alignment with six tozer linemen, three or you know, two tight ends, a back, of full back, and a quarter and he would run it down their throats and he would punish them. And I think Jim Harbaugh has looked at the NFL and has said they're not ready for it. Man, they can't handle it. They don't have the personnel. They got two hundred and fifteen pound safeties playing linebacker right now. They will not be able to contend with what we are going to put them through for sixty minutes. So I just for me, it's hard to envision how a wide receiver fits in to that vision as a priority. That's and again it's me. It's total bias. I acknowledge it. It's because I lived it, and I watched that Stanford team as a forty nine point underdog upset USC, and I watched them bend the Trojans and end their reign because of their physical prowess and their will. And I just I can't help but think he's trying to redo it.
Speaker 2: He very well could be. I'll ask you this though, because Justin Herb is a different animal, Justin Herbert in his arm. And I think it's very realistic to think that if you get rid of Keenan Allen and Mike Williams and you look at a generational wide receiver, which Jessemitter said fifteen twenty years, haven't seen a guy like him, and you could pair him on a rookie contract with Justin Herbert while still trying to build that team. I think that that's probably the one thing that I look at where I agree one hundred percent with you, But I think Justin Herbert is the outlier here. Is like, Okay, we've never had a quarterback like him, who could stretch the field too, like you could play a number of different ways, and we have to pack a running game, we have to be aggressive at physical. But if you give Justin Herbert Marvin Harrison for the next decade and we're still able to accomplish all of that later in the draft and throughout free agency over the next couple of years, that's the only area that kind of gives me pause and says that, says man, maybe at five it does make sense to get a Harrison or a Neighbors because of the quarterback, and we can still build all of that. But just knowing that you're taking one of the best players in the draft, like the number two or three or four best player in the draft at five, That's where I'm a little conflicted. I see both sides.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So here, I'll play the side. Listen, everybody's gonna love you on this podcast. They're all gonna hate me. And it's fine.
Speaker 2: No, that's not the attention.
Speaker 1: Fine, it's not the attention. Lay the other side of this, because so here's the way I push back on that. Would you rather take Marvin Harrison at five and then get a tackle that probably doesn't have thirty four inch arms, might have to be kicked inside, or maybe has a you know, is a little bit of a wastebender and we got to work on his technique. Or would you rather get the elite prospect and in the second round, I'm gonna give you Xavier Legett. I'm gonna give you six foot three, two hundred and twenty five pounds guy looks like Deebo Samuel out there, looks like Brandon Ayuk out there. Like that's the thing is the wide receivers. They have proven it is. It has been proven year after year after year, as recent as last year, you know, as recent as last year with Rashi Rice and Tank Dell and Kuka Nakua. You can find them. There are very very few offensive linemen, corners, defensive line that you're gonna find. There are some, but very few, you know what I mean. There are every single year we have this conversation about wide receivers. DK Metcalf second, AJ Brown second round. You know, it's Cooper Cup third round. Like the best receivers, you know, some of the best receivers are found Brandon Ayuk late first round, you know, Nuke Hopkins late first round, justin Jefferson twenty third pick. Like, it's just there is such a wealth of history that says you can find because like that's what football's become, right football If you have little kids, if you're listening and you're growing up in the Friday night Lights era, you're not growing up in the Pop Warner era. It is. It is flag football, which is great. It is wide receivers. There are no running backs in Friday night lights. There are no linemen in Friday night lights. For the most part. Everybody's just running out, So we are pumping out wide receivers. There are so many of them, you know, with the the just the pardon the pun the spread of the spread offense and how you know it used to be you know how mummy and just a handful of these schools that ran the spread. Well, now everybody's spread out and throwing it all over the yard. There are so many wide receivers that are coming in and there are so few offensive linemen that are at I remember, I can't remember who the shoot. I wish I could remember who it was. The Rams took them number two overall out of Baylor. The tackle and I remember when they took them.
Speaker 2: I said, Saint Louis when they were Saint Louis, right, yeah, when they were in Saint Loue.
Speaker 1: But I remember when they drafted him, I said, Baylor, these linemen have to hold their blocks for a second, maybe a second and a half. Why would you try. I don't cure athletic he is. The guy hasn't had to hold the block for more than a beat. You know, you have no idea what he's gonna be. So that's why when you talk about the likes of Fuaga and Joe Alt and Latham, these pro style offenses where these dudes were busting tail the whole game, I think that has so much value. And there is this there is you know, like if we go back to Quinton Ghine, I'll rap with this. I know I'm going on too much here. You know, if you look back to Quinton Johnston, like, there's no defensive backs in the tight big twelve, you know, there's none. They don't put corners in the league. They spread it out. They throw it real quick, that ball is out and you're gone. Like there's very little precision and route running. And it's just it's such a different game. It's such a different sport, So I think the idea of identifying offenses offensive lineman play in this style, it's a much easier bit of guesswork, and I think that's why you see first rounders be so successful at that position group and there be this wide variance in the wide receiver group because it's such a different sport from college to the NFL. But blocking pro style blocking is what it is, and it's easier to kind of get a gauge on, Okay, this guy's good, this guy we got to work on, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you. I think that if you don't take a receiver of five, it will require a trade out to get the tackle. I don't know if you take a tackle at five, because I don't know if there's a consensus right tackle that's you could identify that early. But you know, we talked about all the trading up for quarterbacks. It wouldn't shock be in the least if somebody wanted to trade up for Marvin Harrison junior. That cardinal scenario that you laid out. I could see that happening. I could see a lot of teams with a quarterback. Now, the Texans just got Stefan Diggs. Like Buffalo, It'd be a little too risk for Buffalo to move up high because at least they pick a twenty eight, they don't really have a they don't have enough ammunition to get up there. But there are teams that I could see wanting a Marvin Harrison, Judor or Eleague Neighbors at five too.
Speaker 1: That's why the Cardinals thing makes so much sense. Yeah, because they lose nothing. They lose nothing in the deal. What they do is they gain four spots in the first round. It's like, hey, we're we got arguably the best player in the draft according to a lot of the people that rate players, and we went from twenty seven to twenty three to do it. Pretty good deal for us.
Speaker 2: That's why the buddy, That's why there's so much I think buzz among Charger fans and maybe some disagreement because both both scenarios make sense, right, Like if it was just one slam dug scenario, everybody like, yeah, just take Marvin Harrison.
Speaker 1: It's fine.
Speaker 2: But I think you realize that there's a lot of holes on this team, and if you want to build a team the right way, it requires a lot of draft picks and getting guys early in this system on rookie deals. So that's why I think that there's so much excitement about what they're going to do at five because there's no like cookie cutter answer as to what you do.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, if you run the ball well and and the way Hayden Hurst explained it when asked like, well, how does this you know, how does this play into having Justin Herbert as your quarterback? And he was just almost insulted by the question. He's like, how does it play? It's like when you're running a ball down somebody's throat. They got comit resources and the second they have to do that, we now got one on ones. These are NFL receivers you're talking about. They're gonna win their one on ones. And you've got Justin Herbert throwing the ball, and now the defense is a disaster. Their brains are twisted into a pretzel. Do we commit to slow it on the run because they're they're busting us up running the ball for six yards of carry, or do we now have to send safety help because Josh Palmer, whatever receiver is out there, is winning his one on ones like he always does, Like That's that's the thing, you know, is it. We've talked about it. He made a j he made AJ Geiden and T Billy, he made them household names for Charger fans. Yeah, because there were one on ones, you know, and and guys were you know, another team's had to commit to Hunter Henry and Keenan Allen and Mike Williams. And then he just attacked the one on one. So that's that's how you work. And again again, I go for people. I'm not understand. I'm not trying to question, you know, the scouting validity of our folk, of the people listening that are asking the questions. But just before you get too enamored with Harrison a doonsay or neighbors, do yourself a favor and go watch some keyon Coleman. I like Xavier Legett to me, man, that dude is a man. He is tossing sec dudes always all place. Like go watch Roman Wilson. Watch how he snatches the ball and stride. He never gathers, he never breaks speed. You know, go watch some of the Projecteds, watch Addie Mitchell out of Texas. Watch Xavier Worthy and that four to two speed. You know, in press, shaking some press and getting down the sideline and think about it. Macaukey, I like that McConkey. I mean, he's just a jitterbug. Guys everywhere change the direction on a dit like So that's kind of what I'm saying, before you get too locked in. Just this is a really deep group and just envision you know what. I could see that. I could see that key On Coleman working out. I could see that Roman Wilson working out. Like you know, there are other players. Some one of these receivers from the second round is gonna have a borderline Pro Bowl season. I promise you, I promise you it's gonna happen. They're gonna get drafted into the right circumstance and they're gonna put up a thousand yards and six touchdowns. It's gonna happen because it does every.
Speaker 2: Year, guys like Roman Wilson, Franklin at Oregon. There's there's a lot of different wide receivers there. Man, I'm gonna I'm gonna hit you with a trio of Jesse Minner questions. But first double m this this kind of fits in nicely. I know he's being sarcastic here because Christmas, so many draft experts on X did know how to fix the charges that picked number five. Why are none of them currently employed in the league. That's that's He's just play it to what's been happening over the last few weeks about Charger fans. And you know what, that's why I say, let Joe Ortiz and Jim Harball do the thing right, like, Look, they know what they're doing.
Speaker 1: If he's speaking, look I'll say this, I know we're having a little fun. But if he's speaking to the people in the media, they're good at what they do. They're really good at what they do. You know, our our friends Dane and Jordan and obviously DJ and all the they commit a ton of time and they watch a ton of film, and yes it's their opinion, but I value their opinions. I respect their opinions. They know a heck of a lot more about it than I do. As I said, I am coming from a different place.
Speaker 2: I think he's referring to all the everybody who's on xactly exactly.
Speaker 1: And what I would say to them is what I just said. Go watch everyone, Yeah, go watch Joe alt Stone. Guys play after play, go watch fu Waga wreck a defensive end and then find a linebacker and send them into the third row. Then find a safety and send him back to his mom. Like that guy sets a tone, and I go watch the quick and soft and fluid feet of Graham Barton, Like, don't let go watch brock Bauers. Brock Bauers wins games for Georgia, goes out there and wins games. Is a tight end in the SEC? Like this is not a three person draft. It's not you know, it's not a one person draft. It's you can get excited about so many of those different players that do so many Go watch Quinya Mitchell Man, watch that dude, Like there's there's a lot of things you can watch beyond just Marvin Harris in eight minutes of highlights, no doubt.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go Ryder Die Chargers. What are the non negotiable needs that have to be addressed on Mentor's defense to succeed. I'm going to rip off a couple more, John Boykin, I'm concerned about the middle of the defense front to back, but especially d line and middle linebacker. Personal changes will continue, But is there anything about Mintor's scheme that should make me feel better. And then finally, what positions This is from Steven Gillard. What positions do you believe are most important for Minster to operate his defense? How does the current roster sit at said position? So there's a lot there, and I'll start with the fact that he has Tully Khalil and Joey. Now, if you go back to Michigan when they had a Jabo and Aiden Hutchinson and how they got after the quarterback with pressures. They didn't have the caliber of defensive ends the following year, but they were able to get a lot of pressure with their defensive tackle. So what that shows me is that Jesse Minter is adaptable. He could be versatile, and he will play to the strengths of the defense. He wants attacking intelligent players the middle linebacker position. Obviously, Denzel Perryman's in the mix. I'm very fascinated to see what they do with Henley Money and then building up that defensive line. We'll see what he's able to do with the guys who are currently on the roster. I listened to some of the he had like a coach tape or some sort of session on YouTube where he talked about the differences in the college game versus the pro game. So right off the bat, he knows that the NFL is a different animal. It's a different beast, and every personnel on offense is different in the NFL, he says, in college, it was more about the volume of plays, like, hey, we can throw away a play if we don't, if we get two yards, whatever, we'll run another play. We're running a high volume of plays, whereas the NFL, every play matters and you're trying to be perfect on every single play. So I think that Jesse Mitz are keenly aware of the differences in the college game versus the pro game. And it just seems like even looking at Mike McDonald's defense money at Baltimore, just how they're able to disguise things and make things maybe easier on the players, but make it look more confusing to the offense. That's where the talent scheme and will kind of come into play. I think Jesse Minter's scheme is really going to maximize some of these players' strengths on the Chargers defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, Chris, I don't think it's by coincidence that Joey and Khalil are back and and Mike and Keenan aren't. I think, you know, you need to have that passer. You know, is he talked about you mentioned you know, it wasn't Aiden Hutchinson, it wasn't Quinnie Pey, it wasn't David Ajabo that was there last year. You know, those those d ns are not first round picks. So he had to do a lot of that disguising five guys, six guys. They don't know where the pressure is coming from. It wasn't just stunts, it was that, you know, you got three guys flood on one side and so and on the other side. You're just filling spots, you know, from your linebackers, from your safeties, your nickels. You know. So I think the one thing that he needs is smart players. You know, you need players that are comfortable, you know, learning a defense that has some rules and play calls that have some rules, and your eyes are going to have to tell you what your assignment is. You're gonna have to feel things out a little bit. You know, is that back in leak out into the flat or is he going to stay in pass protect? Is what's that tight end doing? That's attached. Is he gonna leak you know, like there's because because this guy's vacating and he's gonna be wide open for twenty yards down the scene. Unless I know that that's what I see and that's now where I have to go play, It's not I don't think it's nearly as complex as what Brandon Staley was doing, where every single play had like five different answers to it and players said they just got so in their own heads it was hard for them to execute. It's not like that. I think he's still calling the play and this is the play we're gonna execute because this is what we think is gonna happen. But so I think you need smart players. I definitely think they need corners. I think you need some corners. I have faith in a Loewi and Derwin as the two safeties. I think maybe, you know, if J. T. Woods, it'd be nice to see this this strength coach, Maybe get him, get him built up a little bit, you know, get get him built up and see if you can get you know, that production back that we saw at Baylor where you had what six interceptions in a season to lead the NC DOUAA. So certainly he's got the eyes, just got to get built up a little bit. So linebacker's obvious. I feel like, just because we know about the injuries to Denzel Perriman, so I and the good news is off ball linebackers, you can look, there's one I got. If they can do that deal with the Cardinals, and I'll and I'll roll the dice. And I know it may seem crazy to roll the dice because he's got two knees, an ankle, and two shoulders, but man, Peyton Wilson looks an awful lot like like Luke Keikley, and he is as as athletic, he is as smart. He's a tackling machine. You just see some of the reads that he has all the TFLs. I think he had like eighteen TFLs last year. Like he's gonna be there in the second round. So if you can do that sort of deal that we talked about, where you say, now you guys keep twenty seven, we'll go we'll take one of your two's and one of your threes, since you already got two of each, and now you're talking about picking up that kind of linebacker. That to me is I think that's probably the level. And also they need some beef in the middle. I love Tito, loves Scott Matt Locke, but I think if you can maybe find some and some meat in that middle there. Look, their pass rush packages are going to be incredible. When when you're able to put Joey Bosa too, Lee Morgan, Fox and Khalil Mack is your front four, it's going to be incredible.
Speaker 2: That's where they're That's where is gonna make his money, no doubt. Hey, speaking of corners, a couple of quarter questions before we get to them, though, I was I joined the Charges Chat podcast last week. He asked me a great question about what Michigan player would you want, you know, in like let's say like the second or third round, And I said, uh, Sander's still uh yeah, the nickel corner. But then I was like, oh, man, well what about Chris Jenkins? And I said, oh man, well what about Junior Coleson. You know, like there's there's three players on each level of that Michigan defense that I think would be just absolutely incredible for the Chargers. So let's let's get into this question real quick. What quarter are we drafting in a what round money and then hey, Chris, love to show with you a money question. The current quarterback room is average to say the least. Who are some free agent corners that Chargers should bring in. I don't feel optimistic if this is the room come September. So uh, I guess corner from both the age draft.
Speaker 1: And so so I talked about Quinnon, Mitchell and Terry and Arnold, theyll seem like the top two. I think, you know, Nate Wiggins, he's got the speed and he's got the length. He's just he's not very big, he's not very needy. And to me, like, I think they need corners that can tackle, you know, and that are physical. And I think that's kind of where the Terry and Arnold Quinyon Mitchell come in. Where if you trade you know, and if you if you do trade back that I think that's going to be a very a very real conversation do we. I know, you want the O line and you want to build that physicality up front, but we need corners and we can get the best in this in this draft. Here at eleven, he's still sitting here, whether it's Mitchell Wiggins. I just think Wiggins is too small. You know, he's I'm looking at the measurements now, he's listed six one one seventy three. I just don't like. To me, I look at at Mitchell, you know, six foot one ninety five, Terrian six foot one ninety Like, I think that's more of what you know. Cooper to Gene six foot two oh three. Like to me, those are the style of course. So if they let's say they get that late for now, Now, how are you feeling? Do you want you want Marvin Harrison at five or would you rather take the best right tackle in JC Latham to pay, you know, a massive human being to pair with ra Shaun Slater And then you get Cooper to Gen at twenty seven, and now you've got a starting corner that's big, that's physical, you know, that fits the style that they want to play. Like to me, you know, there's Rakestraw, there's Lassiter that are at the top of that second round maybe. But the one thing about corners you got to be careful of is there's going to be a run on them, because there always is, you know, like you kind of get that top one out of the way and then all of a sudden, it's like corner corner, corner corner because they're premium positions and typically teams at the back end are really good teams and they know you need corners. Like the Vikings right under Zim every year they drafted a corner in the first or second round because they're like, yeah, this is what we need, this is the this is the league we play in. So Max Melton, I'm just looking at some right now. You know you mentioned sand Verstill there's Max Melton. Not a Rutgers is another good one that could be a second at Lassiter has kind of been mocked in that second round range, so they're out there for sure. But I think the one thing I would point out, it's gonna have to be a physical corner that can tackle. And just think back to the playoff game in Jacksonville. Right here comes Travis Ntien. Can you make the tackle and win the game or you're gonna get run over? Here comes Josh Jacobs Week eighteen, Las Vegas. Can you make the tackle or are you gonna get run over? It's not just cover skills, it's not just length, it's not just speed. Can you make the tackle.
Speaker 2: So that's I'm so glad you mentioned with those games, because it's exactly what we're talking about on April second, Yeah, fourth quarter week eighteen, with the chance to go to the playoffs. Are you gonna win the You're gonna win the matchup or not. You're in Jacksonville with the chance to go to kids the city for a divisional round, a playoff game against an opponent that you have had success against, an Arrowhead at least, it comes down to one play and can you make the play? And those are the types of players that they're trying to identify. Hey, listen, I love the idea of if you trade back, get a corner at eleven, and then at twenty seven, take best available player. So somebody asked if if Brian Thomas, let's say Brian Thomas from LSU was there at twenty seven, it may be too late for him at twenty seven, maybe too early at eleven, but you never know, you know that that twenty seven would be really the wildcard there as far as take just best player for your team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like that's why I mentioned the gad, you know, like that's to me, that's the guy that kind of fits the profile, you know, the big physical he's gonna block you up something good. If when you're running and he's gonna bust you up. If you if you try to tackle him too high, you better get him low because you gonna run over you. Like, that's where that comes in. Yeah, I could look, the Ravens drafted a ton of first round with receivers, you know, they just they just drafted Zay Flowers for Shod Paramant. Uh shoot, help me out here were Shod Bateman. Like there's a massively Hollywood brown like they drafted. It's not like they don't draft receivers in the first round. They do, so it could totally happen. I think it's just a matter of what. Remember they were doing that when their fronts were set. You know, they already had their fronts. Their fronts were great, you know, because they're so good at filling those positions. And it's like, yeah, now's now, let's fill in, Victor.
Speaker 2: With all the focus on Minnesota moving up, do you guys think the charges would be willing to allow the Broncos or Raiders to move up if the trade compensation was massive? Or is it Minnesota or a bust at five? Very very good question, Victor. I don't know. But the way that coach Harbaugh speaks about JJ McCarthy leads me to believe that he would want JJ McCarthy in the AFC West. So I guess it would depend on trade compensation money. But I'm not sure Jim is willing to give an Todio piersa Sean Payton JJ McCarthy and have to face him twice a year based on the rave reviews that he's given him of alast couple of months.
Speaker 1: No doubt. Now for me personally, yeah, I got no problem. You know, I feel like I got the best quarterback in the league. I'm good. I got I got Justin Herbert. And if you're gonna give me next year's one and a one and a two from this year and you want to jump up, and I feel like at twelve or thirteen, I'm gonna get a really good player. And this is you know, Tom Teleusco used to say all the time, right when we would talk to him about the draft, guys, remember this is not about you know, I'll just say it for this year. This isn't about twenty twenty four. This is about twenty four to twenty five, six, twenty seven to twenty eight, that's what we're that's what we're talking about here. So to be to some degree short sighted, I think it's it's like no, no, no, I am now gonna get an extra one. In twenty twenty five, I'm gonna get an extra two and twenty twenty Those are players that I can now put into my system for the next five years. I'm doing a three for one here. Now, you know, the cautionary tail is don't ever forget who traded that draft pick to the Chiefs that they use to select Patrick Mahomes. It's the Buffalo Bills, and it has tortured them Skins. They decided to make that move. So you know, I guess there's your cautionary tail.
Speaker 2: All right. This is from I think it's Hanan Dairy. Apologies if I got that wrong. And a stick and pick scenario, all right, he's giving us no choice. Now you gotta stick a pick five thirty seven, sixty nine one O four one ten. Uh, give me, give me your off the top mock draft money if you have to stick. I know we're going really deep here, but let's let's just do five thirty seven and sixty nine. Let's see the first three.
Speaker 1: Well, I think if you if you stick at five, you know what would I do. I look, I'm a best player available guy. So yeah, so if I'm stuck at five, I'm taking the wide receiver. If I just I feel like which are taking? Well, if it's five, I'm assuming all the quarterbacks are gone because you're not trading out, so all the quarterbacks are gone. No one wants to give you what you want for Marvin Harrison. So we're taking Marvin Harrison at five. That's, to me, the obvious answer. I just feel like his grade is probably going to be higher than anybody else, any tackle, any corner. You know, Harrison's going to have a not considerably but a large enough, you know, margin between him and the next player. That's who we're taking.
Speaker 2: I'm always more intrigued about thirty seven, actually, like because the beginning, like that Friday is fascinating because there's gonna be guys that you thought were first rounders that are going to go off the board right away, and the Chargers pick at the top of that second round. Thirty seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if I'm taking ride receiver in the first she's I guess what am I doing? Let me just kind of I don't know if there's an old lignment that I would like there. I'm looking now, I mean because I would prefer So let's say this, like, well, you know what, because I believe so much in this coaching staff. If he were there, I would take Kingsley Sumtaya out of BYU. He go back and go and watch some of him. That is a massive human being that does some serious damage to defenders. So let's say I think he could probably be there. I think he very well. I don't think Rahm Barton will be there. In talking to some people, I feel like I can get the center a little bit later. I can get the center in the third or the fourth round. So I so let's do that. So let's do sumata Iya Suamataiya in the second, Harrison in the first, and you know what in the third. I'm just gonna say, what, what's my number? In the third? I have? I think I can get Peyton Wilson. I think I get Peyton Wilson in the in the third, I think I can. And I, like I said, I'm gonna roll the dice. I'm gonna roll the dice. On the medicals. It's not good, but at least the last two years, he's been for the most part healthy. So I'm gonna I'm gonna go Peyton Wilson in the third and cross my fingers that he stays healthy and that enough people were scared off by the medicals. And I'm a good at least seven eight years of high level you know, maybe not quite Luke keith Ley esque, but but some incredible linebacker play.
Speaker 2: So yeah, all right, I'm gonna I'm gonna give you a variation of this question. If you had to take a Michigan man at thirty seven or sixty nine, which one would you take?
Speaker 1: I have to take him at each one, or I get to pick which one I'm gonna take.
Speaker 2: Pick which one?
Speaker 1: Pick which one I'm gonna take it later, I'm gonna take it at sixty nine. And you know, I think sant Ruscill has probably moved himself into the second round, so I don't think he's gonna be there, but I can probably get Junior Colson at sixty nine. I think I can. I think that I think I could probably swing that. San Rystill's really smart, so I would consider that that might be, you know what, that may be the way i'd go yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, Baldy had a Blake Korm breakdown and he said, I, if blake Korm is there at sixty nine, this is the type of run he's gonna have. These are the types of runs he's counter runs. And it kind of got me fired up. I know that that running back, Yeah, compared to some of the other positions that that are of need on this team, those take priority over the running back. But blake Korm would be fun. But I do like, I don't know where Chris Jenkins is going to go, Like where do you think second round?
Speaker 1: I think third? No, I think I think the size is going to shove him down a little bit. Yeah, I think just And that's the one issue, right is we're talking about how the Chargers kind of need to get that beef, you know, in the middle, and so I think that's where I don't quite know if if they're comfortable with that, you know, especially that hot Look, he's an incredible player, but I think, you know, I think there's I'm just going I'm looking at the backs now because it's just hard. I'm old, I forget these things. But you know, I think about what Jordan he said to us about Braylen Allen. Uh, there's you know, Marshan Lloyd, who's kind of more of your catch out of the backfield, sort of back and and can really get people to but he's also a load, you know. So I think there's there's a lot of bad you know. We we know they met with Ray Davis out at uh out at out at the Combine, So I think there's backs that they're they're going to be able to find. They got two fourths. I would be floored, floored if one of them is not used on a running back. To me, that seems like the sweet spot round of where they're gonna where they're gonna maybe go shopping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's do a couple more here and we can. We can punch some of these to next week because a lot of good ones.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Let's say we drafted tack on the first round. What happens to Pipkins? Well, Trey still has a year left on his deal, right.
Speaker 1: One year? Yeah, this year and next, I believe.
Speaker 2: First of all, before we go to trade, did you see Zion walk into the building.
Speaker 1: Look at that man, Jim, Jim there anymore? Man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's Jim. Meggan said this is before before Ben Herbert gets a hold of them. Dude, Mannyweather got a hold of him this spring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've said it, you know, I've said it repeatedly, like I believe in him. I know he had a rough goal last year, but I you can't help but not recognize just how freaking huge that guy is. Like, and that's just a photo. When you stand next to him, it's like, geez, it's like standing next to a building. So you know, I they're they're this, This coaching staff is going to get their hands on them. You know, Ben Herbert's going to get him and and I'm expecting really big things from him. I most definitely am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I asked you the Trey question. Another Paul Paul asked about Tray too. I always thought Pipkins was a good run blocker but struggled in past pro with his cap hit would be more realistic to focus on receiver corner DT dependsive tackle in the first three rounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think Trey has really struggled with run blocking. You know, remember there there's quite a while when it felt like we could only run to the left side. You know, the dam was only running behind Slater and Filer and that was all that was working. So I think, you know, I think there's also the end of that contract. And you know how expensive offensive linemen are, you know, like we said, this is not just for twenty twenty four. You know, these these first round selections are you know, they're their five year contracts at a discount. So you know, I think it's the idea of now, look, this is they just they are just getting their hands on these guys. You know, they they have the film, and the film tells you one story, but maybe it is coaching. You know, there's a reason why you know, Scarnekia and Callahan and and these guys. Shoot, Adam what's his name? Who was Shanahan's guy? I feel terrible because he's arguably the greatest that that's ever done it. But he got our friend year dad, Alex. But Alex Gibbs like, like, you know, there's there's a reason why offensive lineman thrive in certain systems because the offensive line coaches are really good. Like there's an old saying in football that the only the only position you can't fire as a head coach is o line. Like you you can't and like you you can't talk to them. You can't tell them what to do, because when you have a good old line coach, all you want to do is keep them happy so they can What do you need, just I'll stay out of your way. You're really good at O line. It's hard to find good old line coaches. Let's make sure you're happy and keep you here forever. So that's the thing is is O line A lot of times comes down to coaching and and you know, so so they could change, they could feel like, hey, man, I like what we got here. I like you know, Zion and Jamari and and Trey and Rashan, you know, and maybe all we really need is a center because we got to get that pairing, because we know how special it was when Herbert got Linsley and how well they performed together. So let's just find that center, you know, and now we're good. We feel like we're good moving forward for the next seven eight years. So that may be the case.
Speaker 2: All right, one more and then we'll uh, we'll tackle more next week. Thunder down under our boys in Australia. Hey, there's still they're still open to doing a pick money if if if we if we have any connection they'd love to do a pick a happy Eastern Christ and money. Which NFL draft was your favorite to cover watch? And why? Uh, I'll go first. I remember the Laramie Tunzel draft. I thought that was just a fascinating, like reality show situation that was happening in real time. I also vividly remember Darwin James just falling down the draft board and looking around in uh, in the Chargers office and being like, Wow, it's is this gonna happen? Are they gonna get Derwin James at eighteen? Overall, Uh, those are just a couple. But every draft is amazing, man, It's it really is my one of my favorite days on the NFL calendar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mine is just totally selfish. It's, you know, heliocentric to me because I used to go to the drafts and we used to broadcast from the draft, so I did that for a number of years. And the one in Chicago, for whatever reason, just lined up great, not just because you know, that's that's where I grew up, but just I ended up having a really good conversation with with David Shaw, who was working for the NFL network on that one. I remember having a long conversation Mark Dominic who was there and we were chatting about the draft. We had Tom Herman and I can't remember what other coach was with us as well, but it was just one of those things where I got to kind of see a little bit of how the sausage is made and how these coaches viewed prospects, especially on day two and day three when they were sitting with us. It was really it's very educational and informative, and it kind of got me to see the draft through a little bit of a different lens and recognized that there's there's thirty two ways to look at each one of these prospects, and I think we often lose sight of that. You know, what is a premier player in one system may not have the same value in another, And it's always important to remember that that you are looking for players that you believe will excel with your coaching, with that player's teammates, and how they fit into this big fifty three man puzzle. So I think that's something that maybe people lose sight of. They just see the name and that individual and it's like, okay, but let's drop them in and how does this affect you know, what was one of the things that Harbad dropped at us. What's good for the bee is good for the hive, you know. Is so it's like that, that's kind of what you have to think of, you know, what's good for the hive? How does this particular bee fit in to the Chargers hive? And that's how all of them, every single one of them, looked at it. Oh yeah, I see, Okay, so we're putting him and you know what, maybe we'll kick him outside and then we're going to put him inside. Ooh, I like the left side of that line now because he's That's how they all look at it. It's not just the individual, it's the individual in context of where they're going.
Speaker 2: It's a great way to end the podcast because I think that type of insight is what you need to kind of have in the back of your mind on draft day. Is like you see the mock drafts, you see the experts on television, you see all the discourse on social media, but we truly do not know how teams view some of these prospects, and we won't know until Draft day. Like everybody laughed at the Detroit Lions for selecting Jamiir Gibbs as early as they did. He was their number one running back on their board, right, and you saw how excited they were in the war room when they selected him that early, and people are like, whoa hold on, I thought Jamiir Gibbs was going to be a second round pick or a lay first round pick. So you don't know, you don't know why somebody is saying this prospect is perfect for my team. My couls from my locker room, and I think that's probably the most fascinating part of the draft. You know, we are guessing, we are assuming, we are listening to what we hear in the media and what people are saying online and take that as gospel, when in fact, it's what all thirty two teams think individually, and it comes out on draft day. And that's why I think just the reality show aspect of it just makes it so much fun.
Speaker 1: Now I'll finish with this, Chris short and sweet. The dumbest thing you can ever say when you know when analyzing a draft pick is oh, they could have got that guy way later. It's the dumbest thing. Don't ever say that because you have no idea what their grade was on that player. And what other team's grades might be on that player. You just you don't know. If you like a player and you have a grade on a player, you're going to take that player. You're not thinking about, well, you know, we could sit and maybe he'll be That's not how it works. No, they grade these players. They love Jamir Gid. They loved them and that's why they took him at six because they believed that he fitted again into the hive. Did he or did he not fit perfectly? And did they or did they not? Go to the NFC Championship game and have a dominating lead at halftime, Like he just fit? So who cares if they took him at six or sixteen. It fit, it worked, and they experienced success because of it. So I took him way too early. You don't know that. You don't know where he would have been drafted.
Speaker 2: And Buddy, what Brad Holmes and company did in the years before that, They built their offensive line with Patsol, They built their defensive line with Aiden Hutchinson. They had the luxury of putting a Jumior Gibs in and then drafting Sam Laporte at the top of the second because they had filled out their roster. I mean, when you have a you have a history of picking in the top ten for a number of years, you're eventually gonna hit and build out your trenches. And that's what they were able to do. So just one thing to think about as we get out of here. For Matt, Buddy Smith, Chris Hayry, this has been funny. We have a lot of questions. We got to get you.
Speaker 1: Hear the dog by the way bark and she's like, get done, let's go get out of here. I got she she wants a walk or something. She just looked at me, started barking and then jumped off the jumped right in front of me, and I was like, all right, I guess it's time. I guess we're done.
Speaker 2: What's your pup's name again, Willow Willow? Time to give Willow a walk?
Speaker 1: No, yeah, Willow Willow wants out of here.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's get it. Let's get out here for Buddy of Chris's bitch charged with you,