Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show, Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in for those of us in the crowd who celebrate Easter, Happy Easter in classic Ridiculous History fashion, we are getting to you a little bit after the actual thing. Cuckuckatube, cuckuckutchew. Indeed, I'm the eman m h uh is the cuckoockachew replacing the rah.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna try a different one on for size every now and again, But no, uh, cuckoock tube. Often I thought for the years I thought it was cuckoo kachow. It is in fact googoo goojub and it refers to the wait, is that true? It is true. It's googoo goojube. Yeah, and refers to a total boop for thirty three years now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I know same.
Speaker 2: I think I saw it printed or something where I watched Magical Mystery Tour and the subtitles were on. I was like, what's that then? But you know, and of course you're referring to the egg man. He is the egg man. What's that about? It turns out that the origins of Easter are about as nonsensical as a Beatles lyric.
Speaker 1: Well that's that's a shout out to our super producer Max the Eggman Williams. I am Ben Bullen with me as always is the one and only the man the myth legend, mister Noel Brown. And we are talking about Easter. It's been on people's minds for a while. I recently sent you guys a text as a as a Christian. To be clear, I am always perplexed by Easter, by the religious syncretism involved. And I sent you guys a text when I was I can't say specifically where, but I was. I was out of Atlanta and I saw someone dressed up in the Easter bunny garb. And what I love about Easter in the United States is it's like a new seasonal cryptid just dropped, you know, totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and it's a living too. You know.
Speaker 2: There are people that I've actually got a dear friend who, for a period of time was a mall Easter bunny, which is, you know, a way to make some seasonal scratch question, guys, is Toturo of my neighbor Toturo fame a bunny?
Speaker 1: I would you know, I don't like to put creativity in a box.
Speaker 2: Fair And just for the record, this is an audio pod because I am holding up a little figurine of Toucho. I actually have these nesting dolls of the lovely Miyazaki character, who to me has always appeared to be a giant hair rabbit bunny of sorts. But to your point, Ben, yeah, he's much more of a cryptid in his own right. But what's what you know? We should talk about that. Let's talk about a bunch of things that the hair pagan is and maybe we start with the pagans. Huh they kind of were first to market with this stuff, right.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, spoilers, Noel, Yeah, I love it. Let's as r Palmax says, hop along to the history of Easter. So if you grow up in the United States in particular, wherein every holiday is monetized or commercialized in some way, then you know that Easter is one of ridiculous histories, most baffling holidays. It moves around in the calendar, right, like how we're always startled when Thanksgiving happens and we go, oh snap, it's that Thursday.
Speaker 2: Which is I'm sorry, just again for the folks playing along at home, which Thursday of the month is Thanksgiving again.
Speaker 1: Fourth it's the fourth we it's the fourth one. And it took us this show to learn that in our personal lives, which I clearly have not internalized. Just for the record, it's okay, man. I think we have an emergency group text that we send out once a year on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Advance is the one we also send around the link for the YouTube video on how to tie a tie when the time and it becomes necessary.
Speaker 1: So so Easter is similar to Halloween, similar to Christmas. It is a culmination of ancient religious practices, schools of spiritual thought that did not did not always vibe together. You don't know, you get to the heart of the matter here, or you get to the yoke of the egg here with the pagan idea. So let's go to Penny Travers over at the ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
Speaker 2: Penny Travers is such a dignified sounding name to me, I don't know I like it.
Speaker 4: I gotta be honest. When I was writing this brief, looking ato a couple of sorts I could find, but when I saw one of them was source by Penny Travers. I was like, yeah, that's what we're using, rather Penny Travers, but it has an air of authority to it.
Speaker 2: And Penny points out that in Australia, much like in America, on Easter Sunday, there's this idea of almost in Santa Claus fashion, a creature of sorts delivering candy and chocolate eggs and perhaps brightly colored heart boiled eggs two homes across the nation, and poses the question of how in the hell did this seemingly bizarre tradition come to be, and then points out, well, actually, as it turns out, Easter began as a pagan festival celebrating in the northern Hemisphere far before a little old thing called Christianity needed to kind of co opt this whole season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because these celebrations are based on the passage of time, the movement of the Earth in a larger context of the heavens. Right, so equinoxes, solstices. As you're hearing this, fellow ridiculous historians, there is a solar eclipse on the way to you don't miss it, and make sure you get your glasses. Make sure you get your eclipse glasses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll say, parents Williams. They are actually heading to Indianapolis.
Speaker 3: See to get that totality.
Speaker 2: I've only just really found out that that was such an important part of it. I guess I've never I've only ever seen any eclipse from the less cool vantage point. But I think there are some places in Kentucky I think that qualify as well as as Little Rock, Arkansas.
Speaker 3: I have a.
Speaker 2: Friend who is going, like literally doing an eclipse trip. But you know, I think the eclipse is a perfect analogy of that battle between light and darkness, you know, which if you look at it from the perspective of survival throughout the ages, you know, darkness kind of represents cold and the smothering you know of a livelihood perhaps or of you know, crops and things like that, and the light, of course represents growth and life, and all of life exists as somewhat of a continuum between the two. So I think it's an interesting thing to celebrate because it is very much like a lot of the ancient civilations we discussed in the show. It's almost a worship or a giving thanks for that balance and the hopes that we won't be plunged into eternal darkness and gold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, since prehistoric times, before the before the humans began to write their stuff down, everyone realized that there were certain predictable cycles to the passage of time. And let's go to University of Sydney professor Carol Cusack, quoted by Penny Travers. Because I know you guys like hearing me say the name, Carol Cusack said, quote, the spring equinox is a day where the amount of dark and the amount of daylight is exactly identical. So you can tell that you are emerging from winter because the daylight and the dark I've come back into balance. People mapped their whole life according to the patterns of nature, So there's this concept of celebration of spring. However, as we earlier established and shows like stuff, they don't want you to know the life. The narrative of Jesus Christ echoes these earlier learnings, right, there is a time of darkness, a time of death, at a time of rebirth. The concept of Easter as a Christian holiday is in the long term, honestly, guys, it's kind of recent. It dates back to the fourth century CE, the three hundreds, right.
Speaker 3: According to a website called Cheffin.
Speaker 2: Around mid three hundred eighty, Christianity was increasing in popularity in Rome, then the center of the world. In three twelve, the Emperor Constantine converted to Christianity, which, as we know, was a big deal and put an end the ongoing persecution of Christians. But you know, he as we often see with cultures that are trying to kind of convert others, you know, sort of subsume the history and practices of other cultures. You kind of got to ease them into it a little bit at the very least, kind of what's that word been where you kind of have a feature that reminds you of something old, like in design skewmoorph. Yeah, skewmoorph. This is kind of a skewmoorph where they're like, Okay, Pagans, we'll keep to your schedule here that you recognize, but it's gonna be a little different, but it'll still have that, you know, that familiarity to you. And then before you know it, you won't even be Pagans anymore, and you won't even realize how it happened.
Speaker 1: You were always worshiping our God, you just didn't have the right vocabulary to do so right, So that's that'll switch, yeah, very much, beat and switch and so okay, here's here's how it goes down, and we'll get into the origins of the name, the etymology. We love etymology here, so shout out ishtar and oste and so on. So in three twenty five CE or a d is the Vatican prefers the boffins at this new thing called Christianity. They assemble something called the Council of Nicea. And these are the folks who decide that the celebration of what they call Easter should fall on all right, everybody listen closely the Sunday after the first full moon of the spring equinox. Yikes, that'll be easy to track. It'll be super easy to track. What could go wrong? We got it. It's a rotating holiday. It's based on a lunar calendar, which secular folks don't practice in the modern day.
Speaker 2: No, and maybe there are some folks out there that are more attuned to these kinds of celestial movements and be like, yeah, it is easy to track, but to me, it just seems like you could lose track of it real quick and it could be sort of up for interpretation.
Speaker 3: That's all I'm getting at there.
Speaker 1: And so there was like a marketing thing. They were like, hey, let's tie it to our messiah, right, death, birth, renewal.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: So they do that very thing, Easter Sunday is born, and they really link it with those symbols that you mentioned, Ben, and the idea of Christ has risen, you know, he has risen. Indeed, this is an example of what you mentioned earlier, Ben, religious syncretism. And now we're gonna get into that etymology we teased a little bit. According to Britannica, the English word for Easter parallels the German word Austern is of very uncertain origin, and I believe is it Austern. No, isn't that like East? Yeah, yeah, think of think of like Oriental. I guess that's right, Yeah, one hundred percent, so Austern. But the origin of that, you know, the actual etymology is a little uncertain. But of course when we have on certain origins, that usually means we've got a lot of ideas. And one of these ideas came from somebody with an Austin name. First I thought it was just the venerable bed in the eighth century but his name actually apparently was Venerable with a capital D, and he believed that it was derived from basically also probably pronounced Ulster or e Austre, which is e O s t r E and e O s t r a E, respectively, which was the Anglo Saxon goddess of spring and fertility.
Speaker 1: Which itself descends from another previous god. I mean, there's there's a really interesting point here, and our friends of Britannica are aware of this as well. The views of this eighth CE century historian that we're quoting, or philosopher that we're quoting, has an assumption inherent. It's the idea that Christians appropriated pagan names and holidays without necessarily understanding the providence of those festivals or their cultural importance. They saw the similarities they wished to see. We would call this cherry picking in the modern day. And you know, it's weird. There's a paradox at play because Christians in the early days and indeed in the current evenings were very opposed to the idea of paganism. Right, there's the one true God. They are not multiple gods. We're not polytheistic, says Pope Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's the whole thing about like the people that went down to worship the Golden Calf and all of that. And I mean they're made examples of if I'm not mistaken, in the Bible, aren't they like, you know, the worshippers mollok, Yeah, they're like taken out by you know, and like Sodom and gomoor on all this stuff. Like anyone that is perceived as being pagan is perceived as being in some way against God. Or if you want to listen to an episode about the history of the Antichrist, check out stuff they don't want you to know where we talk about. Is it the Antichrist or just being anti Christ is just a bad vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so the idea. Now, scholars will largely agree that the word Easter derives from a Latin phrase aldus, which was the plural of alba, which is just dawn, right like albatross named for a bird. That that's a Latin thing, and it translates through Old High German, which you know, descends into German and modern English. We also have, by the way, for anybody listening along, who's sell braids passover in place of Easter. Guess what, It's still the same human celebration of resurgence, of survival. Basically, so Latin and Greek Pasha comes from the French word for easter, popways, and I'm not going to go too far into the Hebrew. The point you need to know is that the word Easter definitely doesn't come from the Bible nor the Torah. Yeah, and it's a tricky holiday, you got it.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 1: The first full moon, the first Sunday after the full first.
Speaker 2: Full moon of the after the equinox, or of the equinox. I believe right, Bet. I think you have also been watching, at the very least seen some of the show Showgun on FX, which is really good. It's like a really epic, you know, sweeping kind of Game of Thrones, ask historical fiction. It's no dragons, it's real. But one thing that I found really fascinating, and I maybe hadn't seen it portrayed quite this clearly in other media, was just how like many of the Japanese willingly converted to Christianity, you know, and Catholicism, and that certainly is the case in other parts of the world. And I think there's something to this religious syncretism that almost is like kind of built into the ministering or the like you know what's the word when you go on a mission trip to kind of make it hey, check it out, it's just like your thing sort of you know, right, It makes it an easier sell or.
Speaker 1: Some evangelize to proselytize. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And this is this is a hard cell. It's a toll milkshake for some of the Christian Christian missionaries in times past. When someone says, okay, I get it. You had a crazy good sales pitch. So when do I celebrate this Easter? And that's when the missionaries say, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Funny thing.
Speaker 1: We've got a weird schedule for this one, right yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And where the two calendars kind of collide, right.
Speaker 1: Right, right, yes, when worlds collide, when religions collide. So there are multiple good explanations of why this thing happens. This long story, short and happy occasional birthday to our pal Max Williams. Sometimes his birthday does occur on Easter because birthdays in Max's tradition are based on the Gregorian calendar. But Easter is a Christian holiday, Easter is a Pagan holiday wearied a Christian jacket, which is why it floats around in the calendar.
Speaker 2: And that is because the actual date of the spring equinox, can you know, has a little bit of wiggle.
Speaker 3: Room a couple of days or so on either end.
Speaker 2: The Catholic Church, however, created a fixed date of March twenty first to define it, known as the Ecclesiastical Equinox, and the full moon that occurs just on or after March twenty first is known as the Pushall or Pascal full moon, and that I think it must be push All because it derives from a Greek and Latin word pasha, which is referring to passover. So that means that you start to see why this can get a little bit.
Speaker 3: Confusing, and you have a bit of a.
Speaker 2: Arrange rather than an actual solid date of when Easter can fall. And a lot of this had to do with the clashing between the Gregorian calendar and the Julian calendar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's go to well, well, let's talk in twenty twenty four terms, twenty twenty four most of modern history, and going forward, you're going to find the date of Easter anywhere between March twenty second and April twenty fifth. And this is all because our pal Max if we get a sound, cute heavy g himself, Pope Gregory thirteen he instituted the Gregorian calendar, and a burst of humility, he named it the Gregorian Calendar. It goes into effect in fifteen eighty two, and Easter is most likely to fall on April sixteenth between then between fifteen eighty three and the year three thousand, three thousand. But again you see it floating around. But why why this hub up man gets it gets even more complicated.
Speaker 3: You can leap your brain right now, bro.
Speaker 1: Seriously, I'm glad you brought that up, Noel, because there are a lot of people practicing Christians who do not use the Gregorian calendar. If you're Eastern Orthodox, and shout out to you fellow ridiculous historians practicing this, you use the Julian calendar, the preceding calendar for your holiday observations, which means your Easter can be between April fourth or May eighth. If you convert it to the Gregorian calendar, it's like Celsius and fahrenheit. If I was an alien landing on this planet, I would be like, why just pick pick a day, just pick like the same day. It's complicated, but it wasn't always. So it's been a complex matter for thousands of years because they're trying to reconcile I would say, the intricacies between the solar and lunar cycles, which are ultimately the calendars of humanity.
Speaker 2: And I gotta say, I mean, I still I've been in conversation just with friends. I'm like, so we shud an episode on leap here and I still don't really understand how it works, And they're like, what it's the gist.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I this is I'm gonna try to compact.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's just the idea of a mistake that was made long ago that, if left unchecked, would cause all of the recorded stuff from history to not be in a discernible schedule.
Speaker 3: Let's just say, like, we couldn't we couldn't call.
Speaker 2: Out dates and have them line up with dates that other people think things happened.
Speaker 3: On, right, right, Okay, cool, I guess maybe I do get it.
Speaker 4: And to jump in here, I mean it is also important to remember the reason they've changed with Julian calendar for the Greg Gordan calendar was to make sure Easter did end up, that's right.
Speaker 2: So so that's why this is so important because you know, this is where how power, religion and functional things that affect either the non religious of us all completely intersect.
Speaker 1: It's like network programming. You don't want competing programs, right.
Speaker 4: And see here's the funniest thing though, was the the error between the Julian calendar and greg Goran calendar was so much smaller.
Speaker 3: Than other eras had ever been.
Speaker 4: But it was just this one motivating factor because it it was like ten or eleven days off. But you remember like when they went from like the Roman calendar to the Julian it was like months off and they were just randomly putting more days in that time and stuff.
Speaker 1: I remember, I was there. It was terrible. It was also hilarious. It was back in the day. I mean, okay, let's get to the big question. Guys, our fellow ridiculous historians, some of whom may have had to wear rabbit costumes today or this past weekend, they're wondering, what's the deal with the rabbit? Also, what's to deal with the eggs? Why is there this anthropomorphic rabbit that hides eggs that are oftentimes not human or not. You know, actual eggs or plastic eggs now with little treats inside them.
Speaker 3: Why is that a thing?
Speaker 1: Is that what Jesus Christ would have wanted?
Speaker 3: I think? So? Who to say what he would have wanted? Just likely that, as anything else.
Speaker 1: He didn't shout it out too much. But we have the answer with the eggs.
Speaker 3: We certainly do.
Speaker 2: And you know, even without doing the research, you can kind of figure out a little bit of why this might have been. What is it? What did the Pagan version of Easter represent? What does the Christian version of either Easter represent? It's all about rebirth, you know, it's all about new life, right, and what better to represent that than with a.
Speaker 3: Little low egg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let us keep in mind, for anyone who's read the fantastic book Watershipped down the Hair the rabbit, the prints with a thousand enemies, the primary evolutionary, the primary evolutional like adaptation of the rabbit is not to fight. It is to reproduce. It's the word to breed like rabbits the other f word just so, and so it is no surprise that for a long time the egg and the rabbit have represented to humans, the idea of reproduction, of thriving, of rebirth and birth in general. So we know this because during the Neolithic Age in Europe and indeed Central Asia and the Near East, you would find burial sites with ancient humans who have been buried with rabbits with hairs, as they would call them Europe, as a way of symbolizing a passage, a rebirth, a resurgence. And then if you go the Neolithic Age was a long time ago, it's like the way we look at the nineteen nineties now, so stop it.
Speaker 3: It's weird.
Speaker 1: It's true though, So over a thousand years after the Neolithic Age, during the Iron Age, we would see that there was this high regard for rabbits. You wouldn't eat a rabbit due to its religious significance. At least people like Julius Caesar talked trash about people in what we call Britain today. It was like, what these guys don't even eat rabbits because he got some weird religion about him.
Speaker 3: You ever eating rabbit as you have? Yes, I have.
Speaker 2: It's good lean. It definitely has a good what do they call it, a gamy kind of quality to it. But yeah, they're big boys. These hairs, too, were sacreds. To Aphrodite, the goddess of Love, said, there present fertility, fleet footedness, and I guess just general kind of I don't know life, because they are such vital creatures. Aphrodite's son Arrows, was often depicted carrying one around like like a familiar I don't think, slung over his shoulder like a carcass, as a symbol of unquenchable desire. And in the Greek world throughout the Renaissance, you often see hairs depicted in art as symbols of that kind of you know, vitality and sexuality, as well as in literature. The Virgin Mary actually in this era often is seen with a rabbit in tow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's more about.
Speaker 2: I believe, overcoming desire and and sort of having it in check.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's a white that's her white hair, and and it's it's cool. There's this symbolic shorthand throughout Western visual art, right depicting these things. We should get Oh, we should do an episode on why there are weird snails in Western art? Why there are you know, like harnospash alone, you know that's a cool thing we should look into the You nailed it with the idea of rabbit as shorthand for virility or the dedial thereof. What we see though, is that the connection between this rabbit, this bunny idea, and the concept of Easter comes much more recently. It isn't until like the fifteen sixteen hundreds in Germany that we see the idea of children hunting for Easter eggs hidden by the easter rabbit. So that like it sounds as though it is very very distant in history, but we have to recognize that in the larger context that is quite recent. You can see written accounts from England around the same time that also mentioned this Easter rabbit, and they talk about, uh, not just hunting Easter eggs. They talk about hunting actual hairs, actual rabbits, and then eating them, consuming them at Easter.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is where we go to something called the hair pie scramble.
Speaker 3: The hair pie scramble. We're gonna get the eggs.
Speaker 2: It's nice, I know, dude, We're gonna get into some big, some serious scrambles later. But the moment I heard that, I was like, oh, is this some kind of like rabbit frickasy for tata situations.
Speaker 3: I'm on it. Oh please.
Speaker 2: By the way, can I just say that, you know the there's a musical called Hair spelled h a I R. And it's about like hippies, you know, in the sixties. There's also a musical about a giant rabbit that is an imaginary friend. I believe it might have started off as a as a player.
Speaker 3: A movie and that was made into a musical.
Speaker 2: For the longest time, I confused those two and thought Hair was the one about the giant rabbit, and it's not. I think it's Harvey. Sorry, Harvey is the giant rabbit. Hair h A I R Is about hippies. But today we're talking about the hair pie scramble, which was held at halitin a village in let's call it let Leicester Share. I think that's right in England, of course, and that involved eating a pie was made with hair meats, but no eggs, no, no scramble while people kind.
Speaker 3: Of I don't know, fought it out for a piece of the pie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were quote unquote scrambling for a slice. And just as people of yesteryear fought against what they saw as the pagan traditions of Halloween or other harvest festivals. There were local religious authorities who were fighting against the current celebration of Easter, which again, as I said at the top, has been very commodified and monetized. In seventeen ninety there was this English guy, he was a parson over at Halton, and he said.
Speaker 3: Oh, what's old isting?
Speaker 1: You guys gotta stop eating these you gotta stop scrambling for this rabbit pie. This is not what Christianity is about. And everybody said, boo boo, unto you put him in the pie, put him in your ploy. And the custom continues to this day.
Speaker 2: Dude, I'm sure you all have heard of the idea of, like you know, in the I guess the more dark ages, the idea of making live birds into a pie, or putting birds into Of course, there's that four and twenty black birds. I saw a thing about it on Instagram the other day and it occurred to me, wouldn't those birds just like crap all in the pie and just like render it completely inedible just for the purposes.
Speaker 3: Of a look at the beds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we usually starved them before we put them in the pie.
Speaker 3: You did, you and your what cadre of Illuminati.
Speaker 1: The four and twenty.
Speaker 2: No, no, but no, this is these kinds of This is a very old English type stuff here.
Speaker 3: It's almost like a cakewalk, but ther it is. Yeah, like that, I mean a little bit right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And this idea of eating the hair, it's sort of it's it's a way to navigate and approach mortality, is it not like the eating of the hair the fantastically reproductive animal? You could just associate that with folk traditions of scaring away witches at Easter. With a shout out to Todd Thompson t O. K. Thompson for Smithsonian Magazine. You can see there was this long standing belief that a witches, warlocks, whatever you want to call them, would shape shift and take the form of a hair and do what we would call Dennis the Menace level mischief. Right, They would steal milk from your cows. They they would also you know, I guess it's weird to think of this in the same way you would think of were wolves, right or unsealy totally the fair folk like they would they would apparently hop into your house undercover night. We're an audio show, so I'm doing like a little rabbit. Hot, he's got a little little hoofs you know, a little good. Yeah, he's he's floppity for evil. And they thought these witches would suck out the life energy of sleeping people and deliver unto them some sort of infection, a sickness, possibly a contagion.
Speaker 3: So if you're.
Speaker 1: Eating the rabbit, then you might be eating a witch. You're taking their power.
Speaker 2: Kind of reminds me that chuop Ofcabra a little bit, the old goat sucker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 2: And the funny thing is, like a lot of these kind of fables or folkloric kind of explanations of phenomena. Uh, there's a lot of commonalities between cultures in terms of like the types of things that are trying to be explained.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And if we if we look at this context, then what we find is the idea of the spring equinox is symbolically in opposition to the idea of uh, life draining or death or mortality, the witches, the hard winter, Uh, the what is it? What do they call it in Song Device and Fire Game of Thrones? I think maybe just the long night? Yeah, there it is, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But again, we talked about this at the top, that this struggle between light and dark and heat and fire and ice and all that stuff tale as old as time, classic, you know, fodder for these sort of like massive epic tales. And it's because it all dates back to the idea of you know, kind of fearing, like living in a time where you weren't sure if the lights were ever going to come back on, and just praying that they would, and that usually involved worshiping some sort of deity, and these crafty Christians just sort of co opted all of this stuff and replaced you know, some sort of light and darkness or winter and summer deity with good old Jesus Christ to kind of represent it it all.
Speaker 3: It was sort of a catch all for this stuff.
Speaker 2: Like you said before, these folks knew it, folks who'd been practicing other kinds of religions.
Speaker 1: They were Christians, they just didn't have the words. So let us take over your country and extract all the resources. Look, history is long, it is continuing. If you are listening to this show today, then you are one of the authors of what people will call history in the future. And with that we must acknowledge that the celebration of Easter is indeed a global phenomenon. Noel Max, what if we end today's episode with some shout outs around the world to celebrations of Easter, because just like Christmas, just like Halloween, not every country nor regions celebrates Easter in the same way.
Speaker 2: Right, And you know, we let off today with some excellent perspective from an Australian writer whose name we love, Penny Travers. It turns out in Penny's country there is a tradition that is designed to raise awareness for the dwindling population of one of these one of myriad bizarre at least, you know, to us looking creatures, wonderful, you know, stuff that seems like it belongs that of a fantasy novel, something called the bill b which is a tiny marsupial whose numbers have been in danger, and so chocolate tears in Australia have taken to instead of an Easter Bunny, they're rocking the Easter Bilby and crafting chocolate into you know, little effigies, I guess edible effigies of these little rabbit sized creatures.
Speaker 1: Love it, love it. And if you are still if you're still caught on the eggs. Folks, if you're like guys, I've heard too much about rabbits today, I need some eggs in Easter. Then you want to go to France on the Monday after Easter, whichever our king time that is. In your neck of the woods. There is a town called ho Haux and they they will make are a gigantic like Guinness World Record level omelet. Four five hundred eggs into this pan. They make an omelet. They serve over one thousand people every year. Each family contributes. They crowdsource this. It's a beautiful thing. They break the eggs in their home in the morning, they gather in the main square. They make this omelet. And if you've never been to France, if you've only had an omelet in one country, got to tell you the top, the top level omelet technology in the world is France and Japan.
Speaker 2: They really love their eggs in France and Japan. They also I swear the best of another thing that I've ever had in my life came from France, and that is but my friend, unbelievable butter.
Speaker 3: They got there.
Speaker 2: But you know, there's so many different types of eggs and I always have found it interesting and a little morbid maybe that these symbols of you know, life and these literal vessels of life are just devoured. Uh, And it's totally fine. In fact, the case in point here, it's actually almost like a respectful ritual, you know, that honors life by literally consuming it. I've always kind of felt there was a component of like, let's take in the life force of.
Speaker 3: These things, you know, into our bodies. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: That's why, uh, that's why we love it. Ortologue.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I could never My fear of birds prohibits it alone. But oh really quickly, so I had to add the bilby that we talked about from Australia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks like ma Adeeb.
Speaker 2: If you've seen the New the New Dune movie, where Madib is the name that Timothy Channamar's character takes on, it's this little little desert mouse that kind of looks like a little mini kangaroo with big ears.
Speaker 3: And that is what the bilbie looks like.
Speaker 1: And if you're ever on an Easter egg hunt in Greece, you may notice something that I would not as a color blind person. All the eggs on your East egg hunt in Greece are going to be colored red or like gray for me, because red is the color of life. It as such is a representation of the blood of Jesus Christ, and that's that's where they're further syncretizing the religion. We also we also have a crime wave in Norway. Every Yeah, well, you know, they love we. We all love not we, but folks.
Speaker 3: Love their true crime.
Speaker 2: They love their murder mysteries, both real and fictional, and Norway is no different. Television channels run a lot of crime specials and you know, morbid stuff like that. And also it is a peak time for the publication of new detective novels. Just around Eastern you going to see like a whole cavalcade of these type of procedural crime novels coming out. I don't really understand the connection there. Maybe once again, it has something to do with that birth and death cycle and they have decided to go with the death part of it.
Speaker 3: That's so metal.
Speaker 2: Norway knows how to get metal. It was something about milk cartons I believe as well.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, yeah.
Speaker 1: The milk cartons will carry short like flash fiction detective stories in place of a missing person that.
Speaker 3: Have been abducted for demonic rituals now days.
Speaker 1: And we don't we don't get the milk carton Uh, we don't get the milk carton stories anymore in the US. Yeah, and this was this, this whole phenomenon is uh. It originates in crime novel from nineteen twenty three set on the Bergen Railway. What we're saying is there's a ton of fascinating history about Easter, and we have so much more to explore. In the meantime, you can check out stuff they don't want you to know. We have a YouTube video called the Surprising Origins of Easter. We have not delved into the full mythology leading to the Christian interpretation of this holiday, but we hope you had a good one. Whether or not you celebrate, people are a little bit nicer around holidays.
Speaker 3: I find, you know what I mean, like people a little bit cooler.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's been in the back of my head, this whole conversation. I haven't brought it up, but I'm gonna just make it my last thing.
Speaker 3: Set that fire.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of interesting to me that somehow both the secular versions or I guess Tremont of both Christmas meaning Santa Claus kind of egregious commercialism, gift giving and all that, and Easter just bizarro Easter bunnies and chocolate eggs and dyeing, you know, hard boiled eggs and all this stuff that comes along that are kind of also embraced by hardcore Christians. Like there's part of me that would think that the real you know, christianist of the Christian would kind of eschew a lot of that stuff and sort of turn their nose up at it. But it seems to me, at least from where I stand, that they're all about those aspects as well, maybe because they think it's a way of getting people into the fold. You know, you start by being attracted by the Easter egg hunts. The next thing, you know, you're a mass I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, Yeah, And you know that goes into the idea of social autonomy and the individual's interactions with a group, which makes me sound like a crazy academic, which perhaps I am.
Speaker 3: You're not crazy.
Speaker 2: You've got a background for sure a bit, but I just wonder, you know, all along the way and this chat, it's kind of been like this is almost feels to me like it still could be looked at as recruitment tools, you know, much like the whole religious secretism was about getting people to you know, come over to their side religiously speaking without fully.
Speaker 3: Realizing what it meant.
Speaker 2: And I'm just wondering if, like, maybe Christians are cool with all this stuff, A because it's fun and be because it sort of sometimes gets people in the door.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see youth group folks.
Speaker 2: Hey, I remember going to youth group for the free tacos.
Speaker 3: That's why I went to youth group.
Speaker 1: Sounds cool. Yeah, We've got we have so much more to explore. We also have We also have some commentary that me interests you about the secular origins of the depiction of Santa Claus, which is coming up on a future episode about cartoons and propaganda. Spoil is but do never do. Please tune in, uh and maybe we'll do it etymology of the phrase spoilers. I think it would take us about six minutes. But with that, we want to give a big thanks to everybody's tuning in. We hope that you had an excellent weekend, whether or not you celebrate some derivation of Easter. We want to let's see Noel. I guess we got to think. First off, we got to thank our super producer research associate mister Max Williams.
Speaker 2: And of course Max's brother Alex, who composed this theme. I like to thank my personal Lord and Savior JC. I'm glad he has risen, he has risen. Indeed, I'm sorry, I'm joking. I grew up in the church. I'm allowed to make those jokes, and we never you know, poopoo anybody's religious beliefs. Your religious beliefs are your own. This is just such an interesting trajectory. Somehow we ended up with people in bunny costumes. We're standing on the side of the road waving at cars, which I just saw the video, he said, it is more than a little unsettling.
Speaker 1: I'd also like to thank everybody dresses up in a big rabbit costume. It means the world to me when I see you all on the streets. New seasonal Cryptid just dropped. That's how I feel about it. Big, big thanks to Bahamas or aj Bahamas. Jacobs the puzzler.
Speaker 2: Soon to be appearing right here on your regularly scheduled program.
Speaker 1: A Catching Old Brown making an appearance on his show as well, The Puzzler. Big big thanks, of course to Jonathan Strickland aka The Twister. I got a cat in the way, keep it in next, Big big thanks to Jonathan Strickland ak The Twister, famously the guy who will show up as an adult at children's Easter egg hunts and compete with them.
Speaker 3: We'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.