Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and that's what you really miss podcasts. This is Darren Chris Part two. Boo boo boo, boo boo.
Speaker 2: He's the best storyteller. This episode could have been eight hours long and I wouldn't have been mad.
Speaker 3: We literally don't have to do anything. He just has to talk and didn't like the best way possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just prompted a little bit and then he just goes so without further ado. Here's the rest of our conversation with Darren Chris.
Speaker 1: What was your favorite Warbler song to do? And speaking of music, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, gosh, I'm sure people ask you guys all the time what your favorite number was, and it's hard because there were so many, And so there's the differentiation between what was fun too a song I liked next to how much fun I had like shooting it right and like what the day was, you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we have a hard time seperating like seasons that way, because we were so attached to some seasons.
Speaker 1: And then it's the memory versus watching it.
Speaker 4: I remember the making far more than I remember the seeing it because I haven't watched many episodes of Glee, not by avoiding it just because I just I just never got around to I never got around to it. So or I would watch the premieres with you guys, which I've always loved. I loved, like I didn't ever want to watch it, not with people I made it with, Like if I missed, because we listeners should know that we would at lunchtime. I loved that. That's such a fun memory. Lunchtime we would go into one of the theaters and watch whatever we had just made and with the people we made it with, and everyone's rooting.
Speaker 1: For each other, the crew. It's so cool to watch it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and everyone's having to laugh and knowing what it was like to make. And so if I missed those for whatever reason, if I wasn't there that day, then I would just like never see the episode because I only wanted to experience it with the people that I made it with. Yeah, that was really really, really special. But having said that, my memories are more tied to the days, so uh, and I definitely want I watched all the musical numbers for sure, like you know, because they'd be on YouTube or whatever. So I would have an ability to see them much easier. Yeah than like if I missed it nine o'clock at fuck eight o'clock on Tuesday then But I don't know. I for Warbler stuff.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's definitely a fan favorite.
Speaker 4: I think, what's a fan favorite somewhere only we know? M hmm, yeah, somewhere only we know. I cannot believe became a fan favorite because that didn't really emerge from my to my attention until like the Pandemic and TikTok. It was like when I was doing the show like Teenage Dream, that was like the moment for me and for everybody. And I love teenagers like I have no like, I'm happy to do it. I love playing it at concerts. It's my favorite. Like no complaints about about that song at all. There were so many funny things about Somewhere only we know, which is a the resurgence of it that happened. I think there was like a on TikTok it was like a slowed down version of it or something, and that got picked up and that was and then that shot up as at least on streaming O. That's the the marker of like well it is frankly, is it is the marker of if.
Speaker 2: On Spotify?
Speaker 4: I think, shut up, really, I think it might be. Yeah, oh, I thought it was the most streamed as one of my of mine. But if it is, that's because of TikTok, because there's a new audience. So, I guys, Keen was like one of my favorite bands in high school. I'm like, we've talked about our love for ang anglophilic shit, Kevin, you and I love we love Keen, we love we love McFly, We have like we obsessed with British pop charts. We talked a lot about this, Kevin and I for a British fans, you'll appreciate like we like two thousands British pop rock charts. Is like we love gold Standard. So I'm a senior in high school, which is like one of the most potent years of music conception of your life. I'm starting to drive, you know, the CDs that are in your car when you're starting to have agency of your destiny, like driving a car like that, those are the fucking you know yea.
Speaker 2: I remember the first CD when I got my license, like it yeah, imprinted.
Speaker 4: But that but that moment I was going to say, is like how driver's license is written. You know, it's those nineteen eighteen years old experiences and moments in your car feel like you're the king of the world and everything speaks to you in this really amazing way. It's it's a it's a really magical time. So Keen. I remember going on a trip, my first trip to London with my parents. I was like seventeen or eighteen, and I saw a music video and I always watched like foreign countries MTV because you know, it's it's not what would be playing here, and it's not that we like we were not in the global cultural economy that we are now where I can, like I have easy as much access to like the top one hundred.
Speaker 2: And even buy songs off of iTunes in another country right.
Speaker 4: Off of like HM v UK oh nice, Yeah dude, I remember that shit, yeah, getting it on the well or or I would I would buy records when I was there, Like I would go to the record stores locally and see what was going on. So I saw a video for a song by Keene, which was the single they were pushing at the time, was a song called Everybody's Changing. That was I think the single off that album was not somewhere only we know. And I remember buying this record as ston as I could. Maybe I bought it in London or I bought it when I came back, But anyway, my senior year was sort of scored by their album Hopes and Fears, And uh, I can I remember so vividly all the drives, like with friends, like blasting the ship. You know, that feeling that's just goosebumps central, you know. So imagine my surprise when years later, I'm I'm reading a script it since Summer only, you know, by Keen, and I'm like, Okay, this isn't exactly like a popular song, Like this is a song that I like, I don't ever was it that popular? And maybe in the think did you know the song? In my mind, I didn't know it. Maybe in my mind I thought it was just this song that but certainly not as popular as the other ones that were knowing it was like this, this wouldn't have made the cut of songs that would be obviously done by by me. Uh, And so I was like, cool, I don't know who's calling these shots. But I happened to have a very personal connection with this song, and I remember doing this recond I record and I recorded it with the same guy in the same way. Did I go to near for this one. I think by this point we started doing it in La. It's getting expensive, I know, to make it right. So I was doing it in La and I remember just being really weirded out by it, because like, I love this record and I'm like hearing my voice on it. I kept going shut up, like like I want to hear I forget his name, but I want I want to the real singer like yet, So I didn't dislike it. I just kind of had this oh God, I don't know, like this is such a great record and I don't want to like tarnish this. Yeah, and uh, and that's how I felt. I was like, this is not the best representation of this song that I love so much. And then on the day we were at that school Burstein YEP with Bernstein High and Uh. I have really sensitive eyes. I don't know if it's a light eye thing, but like Courty was so bright. It was really bright, and it was a day where they had like those giant mirrors. It was like a comedy routine where I was already like the fuck what's going on? And then they go like it was melting. My eyes are getting fucking melted out of my sockets, and I remember I have to like sing to Chris and every angle they went, this was the day that I learned this one trick that I'm sure optometerist would tell me it's a terrible idea, but apparently it's a trick where if you, if it's too bright for your eyes, close your eyes and look right at the sun. I remember, yeah, and so just to get your eyes as used to a bright So I'm sure this is a horrible idea, but I would do it and then open I'm like, you have three seconds because if you're filming this and using this this becomes the internet, it would be like and action. So yeah, like it was so hard, So I have to watch it again because I forget. I just remember the entire time shooting it, going like god damn it, it's so bright out. The song is not as good as the original record, and I have to like act and all I can do is this. I'm like tearing up, and I remember asking can I wear sunglasses? Like at the time, like there was a pink sunglasses thing that was like my trade berk before I got in the show, and so they wanted to put in there. It's the whole thing. But I just remember doing that. I just it was so hard. I was squinty McGee doing this. Maybe they thought I was like really emoting. I was just barely trying to keep my fucking eyes.
Speaker 1: I don't think I noticed it, But that's really funny.
Speaker 2: It's also such a good I forgot how bright that would be, like filming there at a certain time of day, if it was sunny reflecting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like, really that was hard, but that's what I remember the most, and so now people have this. But the lesson that I take away from this is a reinforcement something I wheartily believe in, which is once you make something in like if you make a piece of art and it's released to the world, it does not belong to you anymore, and it never did in the first place. Like whatever experience people have with something that you made, it belongs to them and their experience and how they experienced it. Like I'm never gonna sit here and like pooh pooh. People's like positive response to that, like what a beautiful thing, Like they're supremely unaware of my like kind of funny relationship with it. I'm not saying I dislike it. I just had like a flimsy kind of you know, connection to it, you know, as shooting it and recording it. But people really love it, and like that's all that matters. Like they don't they don't give Yeah, well I love that people love it, So that's, you know, something that I owe them to, you know, be like, well, if you love it, then like let's love it together, you know, like that's all that matters. There was a girl that I did, Kadiza, I'll shout out Kadijah, who was one of our urchins in Little Shop who she she joined the show when she was eighteen and she turned twenty one during our run. I mean, she's grown up doing this show and she is, you know, a young gleek. She loves glee and hearing. She she really loves that song, and I love this girl. So I'm just like fuck yeah, dude, Like that's so special, Like what an amazing thing. It is so cool, like getting the.
Speaker 2: Twenty one year old knows su Quinez or like a song like yes exactly, because ultimately it's promoting the band that you love exactly, they get the check, you get to hear their music great.
Speaker 4: Exactly, And and it's just like that show was such a gateway for so many other people, Like I'm not gonna lie like the first like I didn't hear about I don't know led Zeppelin because of like growing up in the seventies. It's because they were on a soundtrack for a movie that I loved growing up in the nineties. So it's like there's there's gotta be some gateway, Like it's not all gonna be because you were there in that moment. Like there's like she really got into musical theater and it is now doing a musical theater show with me because of Glee, And I'm like, that's fucking amazing. Also, you're saying a twenty one year old that knows Keen. I'm like a twenty one year old that knows Glee. There's still I mean, you guys must be experienced this all the time. Like it's amazing that there's this new there's there's still seems to be this interest that I thought would be outdated, but it still seems to.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of New York, like New York when I go, because people are just out more. You're in the streets and things. Yeah, yeah, LA don't really feel it. But if I go to New York, I'm like, damn, why are you guys still watching this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's well. Also, you know, there are some things there you go like that's definitely specific to that time. So I don't know if I would necessarily do that now, but but yeah, people seem to not give a shit. They stick to the the thing that is the most fun, which is like the the vibrancy and the youthfulness and the and the fun and and and for lack of a better fucking word, the glee of it all. Yeah, literally and figures in the music. So yeah, it's going twenty one. Yeah, crazy, she loves that shit, I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. It is nice that I feel like that generation that has had that has found it the past couple of years inherently understands that it was of a different era, a different time. Yeah, because obviously there are things that have not aged well, but like, you can't go back and redo it, but it is, but it.
Speaker 4: Is well because it's that's not the main that's not what the show's now just in the way that there are things in Friends that I go it doesn't really work now, but it's such a nominal part of what makes Friends great and sort of like everlasting, that it's not gonna, like, you know, delete it from its like potency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to hear about when you first started working with Chris, because obviously, I mean Chris and Darren, Blaine and Kurt became a worldwide cultural sensation, and as a closet gay kid growing up, I would I was desperate for any you're gay. Sometimes what shocking is is is Darren's not. And I walked up on Darren once. I felt like I caught him watching porn.
Speaker 4: Go on, Where's where's this going?
Speaker 2: He's sitting in the auditorium and I go up and I'm looking at it, see over his shoulder, like what he's watching. And I sit next to him and he looks at me like dad just walked in and caught me. He was watching a Judy Garland video on YouTube, the Judy Garden Christ Special, and all he says is, I know I'm like gay, but without allay all the gay stuff.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I feel seen. I feel like I'm aspirationally gay. It was.
Speaker 2: It was the perfect summation. I was like, thank you, Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm I'm a season ticket holder, like lifetime subscriber of gay culture, like like the huge majority of the things that I admire aspire to be try and like copy, Like it's it's all from queer culture. So it's like I make no I'm no pretense about my absolute love of what we can affectually call gay shit. Gay shit is my shit ndred percent.
Speaker 2: So how did you feel coming into the show to that storyline?
Speaker 4: Like how well, you know we were talking about earlier about me having this background in you know, in like in create creating stuff and music, and in many regards, it's this sort of slum dog millionaire moment where like the questions asked for were the answers that I'd kind of come in knowing just by sheer coincidence and serendipity. I talked about this to great length when we were kind of going around the press circuit of like my time on Glee when I really came in. But d I grew up in San Francisco in the nineties, like I have not that that makes me some fucking like hyper authority on the gay experience. I wasn't about to, like straight splain gayness in any way, shape or form. And I think anytime I talk about this, people who are maybe perhaps a less less attuned to the grace of allowing people to have their experience in relativity to others might kind of misconstrue this. This what I'm trying to say. But I came in with luckily, I think the tools to kind of really appreciate what I was doing in some way. And again that doesn't make me some fucking saint or anything. I just so happened to have had a very strong and comfortable relationship with queerness itself. It wasn't a thing that was like, oh, like, it's just like so much of my like I live a very culturally queer life, like the people around me and like the thing that I like, it's just it's just such a part of the way that I experience life that getting to be the guy that got to represent that I felt was a huge responsibility. But also I was like, man, I am glad that it's me because I don't mind doing like talking about this or like I don't get skittish about like oh I gotta talk. It's like, no, I love this is this is a community of men and women that I love dearly and feel so connected to, like on so many levels that I go few Like it'd be just like if you know, if I'm playing like a fucking like pro baseball player, i'd be like anything of like like I know basic sort of like surface level shit about baseball, but like like, yeah, I saw moneyball, like I like, I like the giants, like I know, I know the players that I grew up loving, but I don't I can't, like I can't talk literally inside baseball. But like there like there is the the the the gay struggle, the gay narrative that I grew up around. I had enough understanding of and comfort with that it wasn't foreign. And again I'm not saying I was an expert or that like I was the only person for the job. By no fucking means, I just go well, and compared to a lot of other people, like I perhaps was well suited to be put in this position. Obviously there's still a lot to learn, is still a lot to kind of navigate, but like, it didn't scare me. It was wildly exciting, Like it was a very fun thing to be a part of. Now, speaking of gay shit, this is one of my favorite stories with meeting Chris Colfer. So, Chris and we used to joke on paper, and I think Chris would corroborate this that on paper, like I'm like culturally way gayer than Chris. Wonderful thing that Chris said. I think I was talking about like old movies or some like you know, broad stereotype about like you know, like gay men, about like knowing like old Hollywood musicals or stuff like this, that is the stereotypes. And I was like going off on like some movie or some musical and I was like, you don't know, blah blah blah. And then Chris Fantasy said to me, He's like, can I just be gay without the whole like gay thing? And he is right like that, you know, there's a spectrum of all experiences. Like it's unfair that there are certain things that you're you're expected to be familiar with, Like that's just ridiculous, you know, So I happen to know a certain amount of things just because it interested me. But why I bring that up? So oh so gay shit. So when I meet Chris and you know, I've watched him on TV, like I know how much people love him, Like I'm supremely aware of like this relationship. Anytime spent with him will be near impossible outside of Glee once the episode is on. So, guys, and I give fo's a very sweet story, which is why I will forever have such affection for Chris Colfer. I met him the first day. It was a scene where we were at Burns back to Bernstein Bernstein, Bernstein, Tomato Tomato, and we go Karowski. Max Adler, who's the first person I ever met from Glee, by the way, who was Who's why He's always such a sweetheart in my book? He was so nice to me. The first is he like pins him up against the fucking like wall. And you know this are the three guys that I meet is Max Adler and Chris Colfer. And uh, for anybody listening, going like, where's he going with this with this gay shit thing? Oh Buffalo seat belts. So I U I had tickets to go see Sonton Foster do her concert, her cabaret concert. Bro that I am to go see her at your c LA And this is.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, I love I love that I can say this now. I think that like the like the culture around has more of like a tongue in cheap relationship with getting to talk what we're talking about. If I said this years ago, people would be so We've get so many things in a twist about what I'm saying. It's like, dude, like, come on, we're all having fun here, like we we all love each other, we all like respect each other's like experience. Yeah, thank you very much. So I so I have tickets to go see some fucking Fosters you do across town. I think like the next day or that night if it's that If it's that night, then I really like, oh, Chris even more credit. I've just met this person, okay, and he's like a big deal, right, He's like a very recognizable like cultural figure at this point. Yeah, And I say like, hey, man, like and this is just how I operate, Like, Hey, if we're gonna be doing this thing together, it'd be nice to get dinner sometime and like maybe talk about what we're gonna do and get to know each other a little better. If we're gonna spend time with each other, And I remember saying that. I was like, dude, you know, it'd be nice to kind of talk about this stuff. And I remember thinking, like, as soon as the episode comes out, we can never be seen together in public because I just be weird or or would make this person feel uncomfortable. So I said, hey, man, I have an extra ticket to see Sutton Foster tonight, Like, do you want to go like my treat, Like, let's get some dinner to get to know each other a little bit because we have all these scenes coming up, and be nice to you know, just to start this relationship in a more personal way than what we're doing on set. And bless his fucking heart, he said yes, Chris, Chris Colfer, who doesn't leave his house, like I said yes to me, and certainly at this time, and it was really sweet. We went to uh we went to uc I forget the concert space in the UCLA. I don't know if they still do it, but whatever concert serious they had. We went to go see her, and I remember being around people like everyone's bum rushing him taking pictures and I feel kind of bad, and he was. He was already pretty good at like, you know, like balancing that act of being gracious, but you know, not trying to start a thing. And we went to go see Sutton Foster and it was awesome because Sutton Foster rules. And then we and then we got we got sushi afterwards, and I was just asking about the I forget my questions, but I was asking about the part. I was asking about the process and just trying to do as much as I could. And I think that is the last and only time we ever went out just the two of us in like a public space. And I'm so glad we'll always have Sutton Foster, me and my story. I love telling that story. Yeah, but also that's s gay as fuck. I had in the best way possible.
Speaker 1: I'm actually great.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's how it all started. Was that was my first like day with another because I had done stuff. I don't know if I've even shot with the Warblers at this point, but either way, I had never met anybody from your guys as set. We were two different planets a long time. I was on my own show, different building.
Speaker 2: By the time we ever interacting with you guys, you guys were your own like click family.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, and I mean I even remember like tour was really the first time I ever got to spend time with you guys. Like personally, I'll never forget like walking around Toronto by myself and you know me, Jenna, I'm always the last one of the party, but I'll be there, always last one in so many ways, literally and figuratively, I'm the last one to know everything because I never know what's going on. But I'll get there eventually. If you guys are throwing a party, I'll be there. I'll just be there like two in the morning, ready to go.
Speaker 1: Literally.
Speaker 2: I will say this in your defense. I was just having this conversation with somebody yesterday about people who are really, really present, and like John Graff is up there, Matt Boehmer is up there at your brother, and of course, yeah, you're up there, because I think when you are really present and whenever you're doing you might be the last one to get somewhere or find out something because you were just like you're face to face whatever's in front of you. You are really there and engaged in it. And I think it's.
Speaker 4: That well, I I, well, this is why I was bugging out about not being here. Like if I'm I'm really I always say I'm LA's worst nightmare with making plans because if I say I'm gonna be there, I'll fucking be there like im. And if I'm not, I'm gonna explain why and what happened. If you're the kind of person that meets me to party, you let's drink some time, I go okay, and I fucking remember it, and I make time and plans because you said let's get drinks, so I go okay. Like there's no casualness if you have a thing, like I'll fucking be there, Like, don't say come through. I don't want me to come through, because I'll come through. But having said that, this is the setup to being in Toronto and just kind of like walking around on my own. You can just do my thing and I'm just getting drinks with the Warblers. We had a really fun day whatever it was. I was just walking around and I remember walking into a bar and uh Nya and Diana were just like having drinks in the back. And at this point I don't really know them. There's just these two like beautiful, like all angelic ladies that I've been somewhat in proximity of, and I remember it was like, oh, hey, what's going on? They're like, yeah, come sit down. We like kind of tied one on and having a good time. And I just remember there was like at the end of that, it was like, still gonna meet you guys. You guys are a lot of fun. This is great. I had never spent time with them, you know, I ran into them in a bar because I again, we were in separate spaces. But that was like the first time I ever got to hang out and talk with them a little bit. So yeah, in many ways, that was how did they come up? Kevin was talking about just.
Speaker 3: The tour, talking about tour, like the tour, Yeah, finally being able to hang out with you exactly.
Speaker 2: Those tour moments were so special, like when we know we would pair off for like group up in different groupings and like go around a city and do things. I loved those moments.
Speaker 4: Did you guys know that what we were doing was extraordinary? Because I fucking did, Like I I definitely knew. Not saying we were extraordinary, I'm saying the circumstance to the arena tour. I was supremely aware in the moment. I was like, this is not how people do things in any situation in less.
Speaker 1: Yours, then I think you have a different person.
Speaker 4: I knew sad, yeah, because you would tour it around a little bit. Yeah, I knew that. Like yeah, I was like we were the only ones maybe yeah, because well, to be fair, like nobody really there signed up that they were going to be like you know, pseudo pop stars.
Speaker 2: No, it's exactly what you were saying, because I remember when we got to London and the girls were having a tough go of it the first day, and I remember walking to the stage and you know, people were like I just want to go home and see my family, and I was like, we have seven sold out shows at the O two two. That is never happening again for any of us. That is bonkers. People work their entire lives to hope the statistically not and it's just like absolutely insane. But in that moment, I also had the realization that I'm with a lot of people who have been on Broadway, and if someone said to me, you have to go do X amount of shows on Broadway and that's all you're doing, I'd be like, fuck, I don't want to do that because that is not my dream. That is like at that age I had zero relationship to musical theater, That's right, and so me getting to go two or whatever arena that we were at was my dream realized. And so I understood that, Okay, these people don't have the perspective because this is this was never their dream to do this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, like nobody and why would we have. I mean even I like, I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I had like massive touring experience. I just had. I don't know, it just kind of objectively nowhere went what was happening and like getting you know, our own plane in our own bus. I was like Jesus Christ, like.
Speaker 1: That was insane. I think there were just different price alreadies people had at that time.
Speaker 3: People A lot of the girls like wanted to see their family, they wanted to rest, they wanted to go home.
Speaker 4: Which understand for you guys for sure, yes you had you had a tough I have to give you guys credit. And I always talk about this when people ask the they talk ask about like the sort of boot camp that was Glee. Again, my time on that show, I I completely acknowledge was so charmed. Like again, I had I had the the Golden ticket of like coming in you know, after you guys had built it, like the machine was built again, turnkey apartment, all the amenities, furnished everything, Like everything was kind of handed to me in a way that I count my lucky stars every day. I cannot believe the extraordinary circumstances which was on which I got to just ride the magic carpet on top of this. By the time I had joined it, I've done the I've done the reverse engineering and kind of like added it up. You guys shot your pilot. You did the Australia thing, right. You did this promo in Australia like a trail Wow. No, then you then you shot shot more a back nine right, and then you correct me wrong. And then you did like a mini tour like a radio city thing it was for then you and then you went and then you went right back into shooting season two. And then right after season two you went on this tour. You had like a good two to three years maybe two years of just like fucking every NonStop. I come in at like the eleventh hour, like, hey, guys, like he has this guy's way from energy. Yeah we were tired. Yeah, but I'm not shooting every day. I'm shooting like maybe a day or two. And when I do, it's just my shit as opposed to like you guys are in the cruise. So it's like those long days where it's someone else's thing and it's exhausting, right because you're like, I'll show up if I'm doing my thing. But you know, the giving everybody representation on the pie was hard, right, So for me, like it was all if I was there, then I was doing something. Even on the tour, guys, if you remember, you did eighty five percent of the show, I park my fucking blazered ass on stage for like ten minutes, do three songs and Bob's your uncle, Yeah, and I was out.
Speaker 2: We'd be heading to stage and I'd see Darren backstage like not dressed. It was like, oh yeah, he's got another hour.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like like on a skateboard, just cruising around a fucking arena, gotting travel, traveling around the world, like.
Speaker 2: Walking in with food the crowd. I was in there, the show was starting in minutes, and he just like walked in like, hey, guys, have a good shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm telling you, like I know how Like I would have punched me in the fucking day. I was fuck this guy, Like I totally understood what was going on, and like, I'm playing video games with the fucking Wards in the back because you guys are working your asses off upstairs and all the stuff. And I came on for the last few numbers with you guys, but yeah, the War Wars came up for like just a couple of songs and like, and that was it. So it was again so charmed for me. But when I was realizing what was happening, I was like, these guys are so like like they've been run ragged and uh. And this did cause cause very understandable contention. I know, there was a lot of stuff with I think we got watches out of it.
Speaker 2: Oh god, it's hilarious.
Speaker 1: Watching.
Speaker 4: There was a bit of a wow, you guys been working really hard, so here's your rolexes. I mean, I'm a like, listen, my grandkids are gonna get that fucking watch. Like I I got it.
Speaker 2: I I mean I ensured mine and then it got stolen.
Speaker 4: So all the time quarters with me. Just a couple of days ago, I came to see little Shop and we went out afterwards about the same way.
Speaker 2: I was like, you had your brother Matt Bomer come visit you.
Speaker 4: How was that I did? He didn't tell me. I I like it. I like knowing when people come to shows, you'll you know this once you guys do Little Shop or whatever Broadway show or whatever theater show you do one day. Some people are very like I don't like knowing. I'd get too nervous. I love knowing he's in the audience because it makes me work harder where I'm like, oh this was yeah, or if like I'm tired. It's like a matinee and a Saturday Jenna, and like if you and I were sitting there going like do you know anybody? And you say no, and I say I don't know anybody out there, we go, okay, let's just like just want phone it in. But let's just like kind of we can put a lid on it. We won't go plus yeah exactly, c plus passing grade performance just to savor energy for the Saturday night performance. But if you told me fucking Sam Rockwell's in the house, I go, oh shit, yeah, let's yeah, let's go coffee bang, Like let's do it for Sam, you know him, because i'd be like, I know, but I get excited about that, and not to disrespect any of the people who are there to see you and your audience. You know, you do every day and you're tired. You need some juice. So uh yeah. I remember he didn't tell me, and I was like, man, how come we didn't tell me you were here? But I saw him afterwards and he looked like a fucking god.
Speaker 1: He always looks like a guy.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 4: He is so gorgeous, painfully handsome.
Speaker 1: It's like piercing eyes.
Speaker 4: I know. Yeah. I say this about Evan rachel Wood too, especially the hair, but they look like American war propaganda. Like if I saw a poster of Matt Bomer pointing at me with that jawline in those eyes and a nice suit being like, join us, I'll be like, okay, I'll jump on a fucking mind for you. You seem like a sensible, handsome gentleman. Yeah. It's it's painful, and it's worse in person.
Speaker 2: Because that it's not as good as he.
Speaker 4: Is a gorgeous man. Holy ship. When I heard that he was playing my brother, I was like, that's I'm very flattered, but like.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love it.
Speaker 3: Are my favorite episodes of this season, and it is. It is the funniest performance. He gives the funny his fucking performance. It was totally underrated in my book until I rewatched it and was like, what how did I miss it?
Speaker 4: I got it?
Speaker 1: I got to watch that so good. I love that episode.
Speaker 4: My relationship with Matt would evolve because he ended up directing me on uh and was he directed on the episode? He was so great, it was so fun. Oh my god, what a dear lovely man. He should be his his his likeness should be like protected by the US government, likes like he's one of our finest specimens as human. Yeah, he's actually nicer than he is hot, because actually it's not. I don't think he can be anything more than he is hot. So he's Yes, he's probably just slightly nicer, less nicer than he is hot, because anymore than.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he came to which is annoying.
Speaker 4: You know what this is gonna find Matt Bohmer. So I'm just gonna and say, you know what, fuck you, Matt Bohmer, fuck you and your beautiful family whole thing. Just take that much goodness, much good no more of you, please, copy, copy paste paste paste paste paste.
Speaker 1: Please, No, we love Matt Bomer. Okay, I have a rabid fire for you, Darren.
Speaker 4: You know this isn't gonna go well. You know you're gonna ask me a quick thing. I'm gonna give you twenty minute answer.
Speaker 2: So I have a.
Speaker 3: Question for you and then you can tell your story. So I have a line up there.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, okay, a plan.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what is your favorite song from Glee?
Speaker 3: And it could be performance, it could be song, it could be experienced.
Speaker 1: You pick you, just pick one. You don't have to, it doesn't have to be.
Speaker 4: I'll say Jacob Artists was one of the most talented parts of that show, and had he joined the first season, he would be justin Timberlake. I think he would be at a place where he'd be if that's what he wanted to do, because that that being that level requires the drive to want to do that. So I'm not saying if he wanted it, I think that could have been in his in his future. So he did many songs that I just remember going like this kid is amazing. Remember what he's rhythm nation?
Speaker 2: Yes, without like without You.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, was one of my favorites. He was one of my favorite things to watch.
Speaker 2: But what.
Speaker 4: His He just sounded so beautiful. He looks great, he dances great, he sings great. Like I just was so obsessed. He was like, it's it's all about timing. Like I think at that point, you know, the sort of the white hot flame of Glee had started to wane a little bit in the in the in the public sort of like appetite and uh by no fault of his own. I just like I I'm always shocked when people say we're just Fay Party Glee and I say Jacob Artists and like, and they don't know who I'm talking about, Like you mean the kid that fucking came in and like rocked the fucking ship out of it. Like, yeah, I don't remember his I don't remember his character name Jake. Was it Jake? Maybe that's what I don't remember because it's just his name, Jake. God. I also love reminding people that Phineas was on our show. That's always a fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I actually don't think I ever met him.
Speaker 2: Really, he was there on I Lived.
Speaker 4: I had an a conversation. You know what's crazy is Phineas performs even though you didn't record it. He's like lip syncing. I have Phineas on camera performing a song that I wrote and produced because I wrote a song. I wrote a song called Rise that was on an episode where the kids sang it. Yeah, and it's just weird now that I go, like what I wouldn't do for Phineas cut? But boy has a Darren Chris cut. He doesn't really because he's just lip syncing and he didn't actually do anything on But yeah, Phineas. Oh, just as far as the kids that came in the latter hours of Glee, even though Jake came much earlier than Phineas. I remember talking to Phineas at I think I told him the story recently because he's like about town, Like holy shit, Actually it's not sure he's not about town, but boy, I ran into him and me getting excited wanting to talk to him and like wondering if I'd get the opportunity because he's, you know, basically like the he is the A team at the moment. M hmm. So oh, I was gonna say, uh, I got to I was at this event with him and I was reminding him, oh, because this is what happened is the story? Remember when he was because he was seventeen.
Speaker 2: Isn't that crazy? Because my sister told me a story a couple of weeks ago about how because she was there that day and talked with him for a long time, she's like, yeah, he said like, oh yeah, my sister and I just like starting to make some music.
Speaker 4: Yes, So this is what I remember, and maybe my memory is augmenting it because obviously we now know what kind of became of them. But we talked a lot about music, and even then I remember being very taken with him, and you know, you meet people with her energy where they're so eloquent about a thing that I'm like, you're probably I'm just gonna go ahead and bet the fucking farm on you're probably very good.
Speaker 2: He talked like he was exactly.
Speaker 4: He was an old soul exactly. He was like we were talking about production and music writing and guitar playing, and I was like, oh, like, this is a teenager, and like in my mind the dog years between like seventeen and what, I'm twenty six or something like almost ten years older than this guy. And I was like, you're so young, and he's talking about producing music and writing music. And I was really impressed, and I remember he invited me. He's like, he's like, I have a thing with my sister, and I don't know what their age gap is. What is it, like five years?
Speaker 2: I don't know something like that.
Speaker 4: I think, let's say it's five years, so Billie's twelve.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh my god.
Speaker 4: Maybe getting the math wrong. I just but just for the purpose of the story, like if it's a five years, she's very, very very young. So I'm sitting we're talking about this, and he's like, yeah, Like I was like, and I asked this anytime my musicians. I was, oh, he just gigging or anything. And then he's yeah, actually we're paying like a like a little fair. Me and my sister. We're doing this thing. It's like in our neighborhood. We're playing. It was maybe like a street fair or something and or some small thing. Maybe I've gotten it wrong. Athhenius. Ever hears this, it'll be like, dude, it was the fucking Troubadour, Like who knows, but whatever it was, it was some small thing with his sister. But I just remember him saying I come through and maybe like that sounds great man, I don't have to be able to make it. But you know, anyway, like I said, you asked one question and give you different answer. So Jacob artists without you. That's one that's like any of the stuff that he did. I think. Yeah, So it was so beautiful and I was very taken with and I like to shout it out because I don't want people to not like remember that moment, which I thought was so cool.
Speaker 1: No, it's really such a good one.
Speaker 3: Okay, what was the most And I don't know if you all know this because you didn't really watch Clear all that much. Do you have like an we talk about unhinged storylines like very off kilter or bad storylines that were like actually really wild. Do you have any in your memory that you felt like were really crazy?
Speaker 4: Much like the difficulty I have mentioned my favorite song, because there were hundreds of times, there was hundreds of songs we recorded. There were hundreds of unhinged story lines that I can't I can't even remember what which one. You're right, I almost don't want to say it because I don't want to even remind people that it happened exactly. Okay, guys, I'll say it dude, Blaine and Kurowski ended up dating. Yeah, that happened. That's what I'm saying. If I hadn't said it, you wouldn't have remembered it because your brain kind of black.
Speaker 1: We never remembered it. I will watch it.
Speaker 4: My brain has I just I forget about.
Speaker 1: All that stuff from my memory too.
Speaker 4: Well, not like consciously, it's just clearly my brain hasn't prioritized it as very important, which is another reason why I'm embarrassed. I missed last week and so uh so my uh my, my brain did my my frontal lobe did not. There was I was in conflict something new that I had to be somewhere, but my frontal lobe was too tied to my calendar anyway, both my frontal and other lobes aren't. Yeah, that was. I can agree that that that storyline was was wacky. Uh And Max is like a is a great pal. Yeah. I love Max and I see Max off and we have sort of like bi annual like like lunch like four hour lunch dates where we just talk about everything. And so I care about Max very much, and I uh yeah, every now and then when we're talking would have like Dawn on us, like did that happen like that? That would be absurd, it would be and it was, but it happened.
Speaker 1: So you know, Okay, this one's easy, and this is my last one. We ask everybody this question. So, what is the feeling that Glee leaves you with?
Speaker 4: Fucking it's the gift that keeps on giving, I would say, I would say, for lack of a better fucking answer, it's the cliche that I don't want to deliver. But fucking Glee, Man, it's one of the great titles of the show. Like it. It is such a gleeful experience. I truly, like, I know there's a lot of like, you know, hairy things that that people may think they know happened on the show or project happened to the show. Maybe because I'm a happy idiot, maybe because I can block out that stuff, Maybe because that's just in the right place at the right time. Maybe because I am late to the party. Chris and I never was privy to a lot of whatever difficulty or contention that may or may not have existed between people in situations. I had an a fucking plus experience on that show. I loved every minute. I loved every person, truly, And anytime people ask me about Glee, I'll go, like, you want the t I'll give you the tea. I'll tell you everything that I know because all of it is fucking glowingly positive and I have a positive I have a positive, wonderful story about every single person individually that if anybody ever said, think, well, I don't know I heard this, I'd be like, tell you what you want to hear a really really wonderful story about that person, then I have them. I have them all. I have all the receipts on great moments with everybody. And yeah, Glee was a gleef. Was so gleeful for me. It was a joy. It was a joyous experience, and uh it was. It was a fucking blast. I've loved I loved working on that show. I had so much fun with you guys.
Speaker 1: I believe you. Yeah, I totally believe you.
Speaker 4: Yeah again, happy idiot, Like that's just the way I process that kind of experience.
Speaker 3: Like though it's not everybody's experience, and it certainly wasn't everybody's experience, but like for you, it was, and it was very real and very honest and like every day Darren came in with a smile on his face.
Speaker 1: I'm not kidding.
Speaker 4: I wish yeah, and I was, and I was, and I was careful with it too, because I'd be like, you know, I know, I I really I'm very aware of whatever energy I give off because I don't ever want to alienate or or antagonize people that aren't particularly like you know, like happy, go lucky, because I don't want to be a dick, Like I don't want to let my positivity like rain on the front of you're not yeah, So like I try and like put a lid on it, you know. And I was very careful to not and like not to say every like listen, we had hard days, but on the whole, I was always like this is rat this is great, you know, Like there were there were certain days that people were like like where shit was tough and we're tired of was like something that is going on that in the on the inside, I'd be like pushing down the desire to be like yeah, but guys in this rad yeah, because it's just like get a punch from all like every and you would have rightfully like it would have been Darren, shut the fuck up, not now that would have been the correct response, which is why I would you never did.
Speaker 2: I think I feel like we can talk to each other like that. I feel like some.
Speaker 4: People yeah, And actually if you did, like I would never be like, oh god, I'd be like, yeah, you know, like I I think I understood I Again, I had a very bird's eye view experience of the whole thing, where I understood where where you guys were coming from the experience that you had, and I tried to be as as sensitive to that experience as possible. But I can currently had my own experience that was like this sort of semi charmed life as it were, you know, this fucking charmed Candyland experience that set me up for a really joyous experience that it could have been a lot of other things, and it just so happened to not be. And in the way that I kind of, you know, not wanting to bring up certain storylines because my brain blocked them out, Like if there's anything bad that happened, I've kind of like blocked out because because they're so eclipsed by things that were like so extraordinary and wild that I just like I don't care to like have give that any more shelf life in my brain, Like I got too much shit to remember and cherish and love to like leave room for any bullshit that like would taint. How how shiny some of those beautiful moments really were, you know, like it's a one in a million experience, one in a zillion experience. Like who gets that, you know at that age?
Speaker 1: Not everybody, yeah, ever in their whole life. Okay, you're allowed to tell your story now.
Speaker 4: Uh, I will say this kind of connects the pot or stuff. I mean, there's so many weird sort of side stories, so if you can't tell, but my general disposition, I am a comic con convention going person.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: I went to comic Con before we were asked to go to comic Con, Like, I waited in line all night. I like, was that's like a thing. It was like it was a it was a fun like pilgrimage I would make growing up in San Francisco to San Diego to go to ComicCon and my I think my first year so I graduated, like may, I moved to l A. So July Comic Con I went down to Comic Con with him buddy Joey Richter, who would actually end up being on Glee. He was one of the dance one of the guys in I like Big Butts Wild. He was. He was the Ron Weasley to my Harry Potter and the Potter stuff. He's a big figure in the Star Kid uh sort of pantheon. And so we drove down and I think we were we like slept outside all night to be in Hall h to see the Lost panel because it was the last than a Loss, and we had a really great time, like sinking into parties and like just it was always a fun thing for us. And actually to make it even crazier is I remember we drove from my Eastwick callback to that wow funny. Yeah, that was wild. And I remember even oh because I had my w my Warner Brothers pass for going on that lot for that callback and uh, and I remember going to the Eastwick panel and going waiting in line for autographs from Rebecca Romain and all the stars of Eastwick and I had them sign my my I've been looking for that past everywhere. I don't know where it is, but like Rebecca Romain like signed it, and then like two weeks on set with them being like I meant you guys at Comic Con. Oh so that's its own little side story. But we were also there a very Potter musical had just been kind of released, and so we went down because we were also asked to talk on a fan panel for like Harry Potter fandom. And this is really exciting because like, yeah, so we got to spend our Saturday doing all the fun stuff and Sunday was the Sunday since to be like perhaps not as like the high demand stuff, but we're in the smaller hall. We're like on this panel talking about this musical that we did and like the Harry Potter fandom as we've been experiencing it, and the joke I had at the time on this panel. I don't know if there's video of it. Of this panel across the way in Hall H where I just spent the night sleeping outside of the previous night was the Glee panel. All h right, I'm not on the show. I have an audition for the show I have, but this but this is the earlier one, like for college, like the I had audition for it. But you know, so like Glee is happening and I'm like making jokes during the Harry Potter panel saying like, just you guys know, just to clarify, this is not the Glee panel. We don't want a confusion here. That's actually in hall h And I kept saying that, like making fun of ourselves for not being as popular as Glee. The next year, when they asked me to be on that panel again if I wanted to come back, I had to say no because I was on the Glee panel.
Speaker 3: And Holly, yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 4: Cool. So I have a lot of weird sort of ins and out like parallel. Yeah, it's a special little thing. So it's all kind of life's wacky stick around man, crazy writers. Every season they've got some crazy writers, some unhinged storylines, dare I say life? Yeah? Yes, A lot of special, weird things like that were happening for me, and that's kind of how I felt about Glee. There were full these little magic, little holy shit moments that that continue that can like with somewhere only we know. They pop up in new ways and they keep happening and getting to reflect upon it with you guys make them more real in my life. I had to remember ten years ago. I don't know if I want to put this on the video but you know when your phone does whatever. Yeah, it was for some reason it was the pictures from uh what the fox say?
Speaker 1: Oh God, don't.
Speaker 4: A somewhat notorious moment. I know we were ending on such a positive things were going, they were actually and for some reason it was that. And it was me with like sort of almost lucious malefoy hair because of they gave me this do for the applause Gaga. Oh it wasn't what the Fox say, it was for raar. I just it was a jungle. So maybe I'm putting those two together. Oh that's why it was because it would have been the Cadie Gaga. So I was in Gaga and the next stuff and you and Jenna you were in like a Tarzani kind of yea.
Speaker 2: I took a bunch of pictures of all of you.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, we had it. We we had some time that day because I have a lot of pictures that day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that one comes up on my phone a lot. I'd probably just gotten a new phone. Then that's why it's like the the like the earliest memory of my phone has so again, things come up all the time, and I'm boys are minded now of the things I really missed.
Speaker 1: Look at that one of them not being the podcast today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm using this in a different context, but yes, that was my including you guys.
Speaker 1: We love you and you guys.
Speaker 4: It's nice to do this. I love getting to do this with you guys.
Speaker 2: Truly, I really appreciate you doing this again.
Speaker 3: We're four, Well, we're in the three. We just finished three and we're starting for.
Speaker 4: So this is this the first episode of the season or the last episode.
Speaker 1: Of three, last episode of the season.
Speaker 4: Wow, Wow, what an honor your fine season three.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Thank you for spending this much time with us and really really appreciate it. We have to have you back. There's even more.
Speaker 1: There's always more, so much more, so much, always more.
Speaker 2: You're the best always. Thank you for being filtered talking through all of.
Speaker 1: The I love you, Darren.
Speaker 2: Congrats on the beautiful family you just you guys are the best.
Speaker 4: Bye, guys.
Speaker 1: We hope you enjoyed that is Darren Chris.
Speaker 2: I feel like if you've listened to this entire interview, you get a very good sense of who Darren is.
Speaker 3: And truly it is true like he'd show up happy, like most days, he'd be like the one that you'd be like, even if you were in a bad mood that day, you'd be like, Okay, I'm gonna just like put a smile on my face because you know what, You're right. We should be lucky that we're here and we should enjoy it because this is it's just like being reminded and pulled out of it sometimes. And Darren was like always that person if he wasn't snapping on Figgins's.
Speaker 2: Couch very consistently, the cheerleader on set correct and that way.
Speaker 3: Well, we hope you enjoyed the episode, and if you haven't listened to part one, go.
Speaker 2: Back listen and thank you so much to Darren. That was incredible. Thank you for giving us how much of your time and opening up to us, and that's what you really miss. Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss. Pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars.
Speaker 4: See you next time.