Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast the Sweet Sweet Dust at the bottom of your puzzle cereal bag. I'm your host, AJ Jacobs, and today's cash is the great Christopher Short, quiz master in chief of Geeks Who Drink, which is a delightful company that produces pub quizzes at bars and at events nationwide. Welcome Christopher, Thank you for having me. We are delighted. I thought before we do today's puzzle, we could maybe talk trivia. Okay, absolutely, and a Geeks Who Drink. If I understand correctly, you create trivia questions with a little extra layer of cleverness, a little added cleverness sauce.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, so yeah, we've been at it for about seventeen years now and that's always been our brand, right. You know, there are multiple ways to do trivia questions. You can just kind of you know, throw it right out there and put a question mark at the end of it, and you know, some people enjoy that, but we look at it more as like, uh, you know, trivia is the medium and we're and we're making something a little bit more artistic. If I can sound that pretentious.
Speaker 1: You can and listen give me some of that art I want to before the puzzle, give me some Let's do a trivia questions.
Speaker 2: No I had that.
Speaker 1: I asked you to create a couple just for me that's related to my specialties, so it'll be extra embarrassing when I miss them.
Speaker 2: Well, so yeah, it made you a mini round called Initially I was against it, all right, So okay, yeah like it. This round is all about you, sort of because every answer is either going to have the initials A J or JAY because I couldn't make you J work for all of them. And of course, you know, any resemblance of the subject matter to books that you have published or will soon publish is purely coincidental.
Speaker 1: Got it. Okay, interesting, So that's a hint because it's not going to be purely coincidental. Okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: So we'll start with the Constitution.
Speaker 1: Remember answer the topic of my upcoming book, The Year of Living Constitutionally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, available soon at find bookstores everywhere.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, and not fine anywhere exactly. Thank you, Thank you, Chris.
Speaker 2: So we'll start with the US Constitution was heavily influenced by the Massachusetts Constitution of seventeen eighty which was mostly written by what future US president? Oh?
Speaker 1: Interesting, all right, I shouldn't now this, I should know. I mean, who is Andrew Jackson? But I think he was too early that he wasn't he would have been like four years old. It's not Andrew Jackson, right.
Speaker 2: It's not Andrew Jackson. Massachusetts is probably a help out John.
Speaker 1: Oh, I forgot that it could be ja or a j Okay, yes, John Adams.
Speaker 2: John Adams is correct, right, and then actually you kind of just ruined my second question. Maybe I'll just skip that one, but it is a really fun sort of coincidence of history. John Adams happened to be the first single term president and the second single term president was his son. What Democrat defeated John Quincy Adams's re election bid in eighteen twenty eight, and that was there?
Speaker 1: You go that one. I think I do know, partly because I just said it, which is Andrew Jackson?
Speaker 2: Andrew Jackson.
Speaker 1: Oh, here, I rooted. I rooted for John Quincy Adams. I'm a fan. Oh fan, Well, yeah, if I could go back and vote, he would have my vote.
Speaker 2: Well, and I mean, you know, Andrew Jackson, he's not pulling so well nowadays his reputation.
Speaker 1: That's kind of tank and it's true.
Speaker 2: So we'll move on from the constitution to the world of puzzles. Okay, obvious reasons and uh, we're sticking with the with the initial theme. So if you were sitting at your desk doing a crossword puzzle in nineteen ninety eight, you might have gotten help from a search engine named for a PG Woodhouse character. What's that website?
Speaker 1: I do remember? I remember ask Jeeves, Yes, ask Jeeves that is, and the aj we're looking for there there you go. Excellent, That brings back some nice it's always good to remember. Yeah, Alta Vista, Yeah, ask Jeeves? Who else?
Speaker 2: I mean, Prodigy was not a Next Game navigator. I remember that fondly for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh it's so nice to yeah, nice to reminisce.
Speaker 2: And we apologize of course to any listener who's you know, under the age of the age.
Speaker 1: We are basically exactly just jargon to them. All right, ready for more.
Speaker 2: Finally, a question on coffee. It's always time for coffee. It's always time for gratitude. I think that you might have put the concepts together at some point in the past.
Speaker 1: Right, my gratitude to you for plugging my book, which is thanks a thousand, all about yeah, how coffee is made?
Speaker 2: And you spoke. You started by speaking to your barista. I wrote you a question about a barista, So here we go. The all time most famous fictional barista was played by the late James Michael Tyler, appearing in once some one hundred and fifty episodes. He still never managed to win the love of a character played by what actress?
Speaker 1: Wow, Oh okay, yep, I was. It took me a second and that was I was all nervous and then I got it Jennifer Aniston because it was Yes, he was the sort of love sick barista. And Gunther cup Mavor Gunther right at Central Perk, the Central Park. There you go. That was it. Well that was super fun and uh and thank you, thank you again for theming them all about a j and JA and I should have done better, but I didn't totally embarrass myself partially.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's maybe it's a maybe it's good for you to get a taste of your own medicine from time to time.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Yes, I know that is good. Well, let me give you a taste of your own medicine, because I turn it around and I'm gonna give you a puzzle themed to geeks who drink. Oh okay, So this puzzle is going to be all about phrases that rhyme with geeks who drink. So all of the phrases will end with sounds like ekes who ink or ekes that ink.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So, for instance, if I said residents of Athens who are not brillyant, that would be blanks who blank, Blanks who blank?
Speaker 2: Oh, that would be uh, Greeks who sink.
Speaker 1: Greeks who sank? Exactly look at that, by the way, Chris, six time Jeopardy champion.
Speaker 2: So you say that, and now people are gonna have expectations. All right, let's see.
Speaker 1: Well I read the Encyclopedia Britannica for one of my books. So my I mean people should have eye expectations for me that I never fulfill.
Speaker 2: You. Here we are, we're both letting everybody down.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Okay, ready, very entertaining. Next one, Next one. Bird bills that get smaller and smaller? Are blanks that blank? Blanks that blank?
Speaker 2: Bird bills that get smaller and smaller? You know? Actually I just had to go to the pet store and pay my bird bill last week, So I had this in mind. Yeah, is that?
Speaker 1: Was that a joker? Like a true story that happened to be a joke?
Speaker 2: Surely purely a joke.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Know especially I wanted.
Speaker 1: Some insight into your your home life. But that's fine. All right, So you got the bird bill. You what do you think? Maybe it rhymes with geeks who drink.
Speaker 2: So I think that it's uh. I think that is like beaks that shrink.
Speaker 1: Beaks that shrink exactly. All right, Just a couple more. What about really old furniture that smells nasty, nasty? Those are blanks that blank.
Speaker 2: I have in my life owned plenty of old furniture that smelled nasty, So probably not as old as you're thinking.
Speaker 1: But yes, yes, these are kind of old and nasty. These are so old they get expensive. Yeah, so they get cheaper and then they get.
Speaker 2: Although hopefully you get a discount because of the odor. These are these would be uh antiques that stink exactly.
Speaker 1: As with Jeopardy for the first six episodes at least you were doing Yeah, all right, last we have furtive, stealthy people who mouth the words to songs, silently mouth the words to songs.
Speaker 2: Uh. This feels like it's the mashup of several different reality TV competitions that I've seen. Actually, although usually the people who lip sync are not very sneaky, be pretty flamboyant in my in my experience.
Speaker 1: There you go, but you got it. He got it. He said it in the all wrong order. But sneaks who lip sync is absolutely correct to end right. Like Millie Vanilla, they were not sneaky enough, so they got famously busted for lip never live it down, I'm afraid not, which is kind of depressing. All right, Thanks Christopher, you did great tell us. Where can people find more about geeks who drink?
Speaker 2: Well, naturally, you can go to Geeks who Drink dot com and that's going to tell you if you happen to be in a city. We're all over the country, so you can find the pub quiz nearest you, and whether or not you have a pub quiz near you. You can play our daily quick game thrice thrice as in three times. Just go to thricegame dot com and I think aj that you've played that a time or two.
Speaker 1: I've played it, and I've enjoyed it, very fun, highly recommend well. Thank you, And before we wrap up, we've got a little extra credit for you. Are you ready? This rhymes with geeks to drink and the clue is small fries who blink with one eye? Small fries who blink with one eye. Tune in next time because we'll have the answer to the extra credit And also I want to thank listener Gene Kent for the intro phrase about cereal dust. Thank you, Jane, I too, am saying puzzlers, please subscribe, tell your friends and we'll meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzle that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hello puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska, your chief Puzzle Officer, up from the Puzzle ab with the answer to last episode's extra credit puzzle. Bethany joy Lenz was our wonderful guest and we played around with a game we call one two three Hill, where every answer is a three word phrase where the first word is a number, just like her show One Tree Hill. Here was the clue we gave you for extra credit. Hailey, Peyton and Brooke are good people at heart, but every single season they were guilty of these that's the characters from One Tree Hill, of course, and they were guilty of the Seven Deadly Sins. There's nothing sinful about doing puzzles, and there's nothing sinful about doing them with us here on The Puzzler Podcast with AJ Jacobs. Thanks for playing along with the team Here at the Puzzler with Aj Jacobs, I'm Greg Pliska, your chief puzzle Officer. Our executive producers are Neelie Lohman and Adam Neuhouse of New House Ideas and Lindsay Hoffman of iHeart Podcasts. The show is produced by Jody Averragan and Brittany Brown of Roulette Productions, with production support from Claire Bidegar Curtis. Our associate producer is Andrea Schoenberg. The Puzzler with Aj Jacobs is a co production with New House Ideas and is distributed by Cased Patriots.
Speaker 2: No rearrange those letters.
Speaker 3: It's distributed by iHeart Podcasts. If you want to know more about puzzling puzzles, please check out the book The Puzzler by AJ Jacobs, a history of puzzles that The New York Times called fun and funny. It features an original puzzle hunt by yours truly, and is available wherever you get your books and puzzlers. For all your puzzling needs, go visit the puzzler dot com.
Speaker 2: See you there,