Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversations. It's the show that she is the secrets of success experience firsthand by Marketing and Brandon expert Rashan McDonald. I will know he's giving me advice on many occasions. And in case you didn't notice, I'm not broke. You know he'll be interviewing celebrity CEOs, entrepreneurs and industry decision makers. It's what he likes to do, it's what he likes to share. Now it's time to hear from my man, Rashan McDonald money Making Conversations.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm Rashan McDonald.
Speaker 4: I host a weekly money making Conversation master Glass Show. The interviews and information that this show provides offer everyone. Basically, I tell her people every week it's time to stop reading other people's success stories and start living your own. My next guest are a dynamic duel one from USC one from the HBCU.
Speaker 3: Okay, now we're going to get in detail on the HBCU.
Speaker 4: They're offering access to high value real estate, access once reserved for only the largest investors, and committed to reshaping opportunities for the black community. That's why they owned this show. Please Welcome to the Money Making Conversation Master Class. The chairman and CEO Dennis Earl and the vice president MIKEL.
Speaker 5: Piles.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, you know, didn I was just giving. I was just giving the extra us that love over the HPCU. You know, I got love for you.
Speaker 6: And see now, hey listen, I'm a fan of HBCU, although I'm the lum of USC, so I give love both ways.
Speaker 5: Brother, all right, I'm good.
Speaker 2: We said that.
Speaker 5: We said that.
Speaker 4: Now, Michael, we have a little history because we talked on a previous interview because you you're kind of like, what can I say, a serial entrepreneurs?
Speaker 3: Right, it was a It was an online liquor business.
Speaker 2: Correct, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 7: I own an alcohol delivery service, actually the first black owned alcohol delivery service called Quick Lick. We are located in Miami, Florida and Atlanta, Georgia. I owned that with two of my founders that I went to Clark Atlanta University with.
Speaker 2: So we're just continuing this HBCU takeover. That's what we're doing.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the beauty of it. Okay.
Speaker 4: I established Money Making Conversation master Glass to give would I consider.
Speaker 3: The next stars of this business.
Speaker 4: That's entrepreneurs, black investors, black voices.
Speaker 3: You know, we know this business is tied social.
Speaker 4: Media, is tied to rappers, music artists influences. But you guys play a role as influenced as the chairman and ceo.
Speaker 3: Did this pleasing?
Speaker 4: Not here to correctly the name of your business and where did that name come from?
Speaker 6: So the company is called the Wholetaeil Group, and the whole Tel Group is essentially a real estate syndication company born from four black phenomenal men who really wanted to give education to those who ordinarily would not have the information to grow success, grow portfolios, and grow generational wealth. So the Hotel Group essentially means born from within and born from within is each of us can look inside of our own souls and really dig deep, find ways to be successful and live the American dream.
Speaker 4: Well, you guys are based in California. I lived in Californa from nineteen ninety two thousand and five, where real estate is a crazy expensive. I always state to California gets crazy expensives. I will tell people low income housing. They can say, to California, but guess what you've been to have some money.
Speaker 2: So what is the.
Speaker 3: General purpose of what you guys are doing? Dennis?
Speaker 6: So, the purpose is allowing for individuals of like mind to invest their dollars together as a collective, and then those dollars raised are then deployed into large multi family apartment buildings across the United States. Residential is you know, everyone knows what a house is, or a condo or a townhouse. Not many in the black community understand the ins and outs of how to buy an apartment building. We've been kept out of commercial real estate because, to be frank, most Blacks do not have the liquidity to play in the commercial real estate space. So we have provided the opportunity to where individuals who do not have the liquidity can put their money together as a collective and buy an apartment building together and receive a dividend on a quarterly basis an annual depreciation via the K one and equity, which most are really doing at a great scale, But not many Blacks.
Speaker 4: So, Michael, are you guys or just all this about education? So I asked questions so I can be knowledgeable the process.
Speaker 3: So are y'all seeking investors? Are y'all developers.
Speaker 7: What are y'all we're doing both. We're doing both, Rashan. So on the investment side is that's what Dennis said. You know, our primary purpose is to galvanize investors from.
Speaker 2: All walks of life.
Speaker 7: We work with seasoned, accredited investors and novice beginner level investors.
Speaker 2: You know, our whole thing.
Speaker 7: When you talk about being a black owned investment company, the ethos of our company, it starts with education.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: Magic Johnson said it best, and I'm stealing this from our partner, Dennis, but Magic Johnson said it best.
Speaker 2: When it comes to the black diaspora.
Speaker 7: We're experts in fashion, we're experts in entertainment, but we're lagging behind in financial literacy. And so the Haltaire Group, our whole purpose is to come together, galvanize our investors and purchase these high value wealth building assets that are typically only reserved for people that do not look like us. So that's what we do on the investment side. And then on the development side, our partner Marcide Hatcher, who's our chief of Development, is overseeing Haltaire Development, which is a special designated HBCU oriented division of Haltaire Group. Let me tell you what we're doing with that Rashon Haltaire is absolutely trailblazing. We're one of the only real estate investment companies in the country, probably in the world, that's focused on the HBCU student housing crisis. We've purchased five acres of land in Tuskegee, Alabama, and we're working with Tuskegee University to develop over two hundred brand new, top of the line student housing units for that next class, that next generation of leaders at Tuskegee. And we're currently in negotiations for a forty two acre plot of land in Texas.
Speaker 2: I don't want to give the exact location because.
Speaker 7: We're still getting the deal together, but we're getting ready to close on forty two acres Rashon that we'll be able to develop hundreds and hundreds of student housing as well as multi media facilities for one of the prominent HBCUs in Texas.
Speaker 2: We're super proud about it.
Speaker 4: Well this way, I broadcast on Texas Southern University, which is in Houston, Texas, So if it's anywhere near my broadcast reach, please come back. You know, hopefully it'll be a groundbreaking ceremonial. Love to be invited down to that because I just like to.
Speaker 3: Say I'm an advocate.
Speaker 4: I didn't go to or ten or graduate from HBCU, but I'm an HBCU advocate because I understand black excellence and I always.
Speaker 3: Tell people about it because of the fact that and it's no slack on the schools that we graduate from.
Speaker 4: Dennis and Ipwi's that's what called predominant white institutions.
Speaker 3: But you know, when you.
Speaker 4: Realize that HBCUs are delivering fifty percent of the black high school teachers, you know, seventy five percent of the doctors, seventy five percent of the dentists, thirty percent of the STEM graduates of HBCUs. You know this information is forty percent of the member of the Hungress from.
Speaker 3: Hbc US Vice President HBCUs. And I always tell people.
Speaker 4: I constantly put that information out there because if we didn't know Vice President Kamala Harris went to an HBCU, we would assume an ivy league.
Speaker 3: That's how stereotypes work.
Speaker 4: And so when I come back, I say that Dennis, you guys are working to gainst stereotypic You guys are not supposed to be doing this. You know, how did you guys even sit in the room look in the mirror.
Speaker 3: Because you have to.
Speaker 4: You know, I always tell people I get up at fourth there I look at that mirror, that that mirror can defeat you.
Speaker 3: You can look at heus.
Speaker 4: I'm too tired for this. I ain't got time for this. That mirror just looking right back at you. So when you're looking in the mirror, Dennis.
Speaker 3: You're the chairman.
Speaker 4: So obviously it came from up top and feartered down to convince somebody like Michael, this is the bridge to be on. Because he already said a liquor over there. He fired, He got liquor rolling over there.
Speaker 3: So how did you? How did this the dream start?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 3: Dennis?
Speaker 6: You know, I got tired of being a slave to the commission. Twenty five years of commercial real estate, over three hundred transactions, broker North three billion dollars in real estate. I got tired of building wealth for others who do not look like us.
Speaker 5: Right, So COVID happened.
Speaker 6: COVID came, the world stopped, looked myself in the mirror, and I said, what's next. I called my partner, Anthony Tabor, who is a Morgus banker, I called my partner, Nis Williams, who's a financial advisor, and obviously Mercie Hatcher, and we came together and we said, look, let's start providing our information, our knowledge. We all are experts within loans, brokerage, development and financial wealth. Let's put our expertise and give the education to the black and brown community, and let's build a powerhouse.
Speaker 5: And Rashaan, I am excited.
Speaker 6: Three years later, we have one hundred and thirty five investors, one hundred and thirty three are black. We have raised over fifteen million dollars, we have over forty million dollars in assets. We're approaching five hundred units under management in just three years.
Speaker 5: Imagine what we are going to do.
Speaker 6: Together as a collective black dollars within the community over the next three years. We're creating a monster with myself, Michael and our partners and with the help of you and this platform, we're doing wonderful things.
Speaker 4: Right, So it is all about getting worried out because I know this by cal Like when you came on my show and you.
Speaker 3: Know, it was unusual. I'd never heard of what you was talking about.
Speaker 4: You know, you had a game changing process and this is a game changing process to digits because people here they go, Man, that kind of makes sense, but I don't believe it. So you have to deal with a lot of you know, skepticism, correct.
Speaker 5: Dennis, Absolutely, you know, really it's common practice.
Speaker 6: Sports franchises, high rise buildings downtown Los Angeles or across the across the world.
Speaker 5: These are all syndications.
Speaker 6: These are all individuals corporations who put their money together and their dollars together.
Speaker 5: Are more powerful.
Speaker 6: Unfortunately, we as a community we're not doing it, or the masses of us are not doing it because we're not educated on how to do it.
Speaker 5: And that's what we are doing.
Speaker 6: We are providing that education so we as a community can get behind a.
Speaker 5: Ball and start making some serious, powerful moves.
Speaker 4: Imagine this, Michael, you know, you know I'm over sixty and so I've lived through the sixties, seventy eighty all the way to today. And a are we too hard on the black community when it comes to what we're not doing what we're supposed to be doing.
Speaker 3: You came from HBCU. You have a different vision, You have a.
Speaker 4: Different story to tell because you are academically trained in a black culture. So there are some things I expect you've experienced. I didn't experience, right, even though I participated with my black friend brands players, the black fraternity on the school I went to.
Speaker 3: Are we too hard on us?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 7: That's that's an excellent, excellent question, Rashan. And first off, to be over sixty.
Speaker 2: You look good, brother, you look good, thumb right, I believe you. I believe you know that question.
Speaker 7: And the reason I say it's a good question is because you know there's some truth to it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I grew up in a household.
Speaker 7: I was very fortunate to have two black parents, both college educated, neither of which went to HBCUs, but instilled that in me the power of going to an HBCU. They were very hard on me, very very hard, very tough. But I think it's out of necessity Rashan. In fact, I know it is right. Historically, the world has been hard on black people, you know, minorities in general.
Speaker 2: The world has been hard on us.
Speaker 7: So I think intrinsic to the black experience is a need to be hard on your kids, right, so that you have that so your kids are born and developed with that rigidness, that callous because when they go out in the world. As we know, when you go into the corporate world, when you go into the educational landstape, when you go into the work for the workforce, the world is going to be hard on us. So if we're tough on ourselves, then we prepare ourselves for that. But let me just say this, though, I think that Black people are the most powerful, most confident, most persevering culture that we have.
Speaker 2: I'm so proud to grow.
Speaker 7: Up as a black man and to have been to an HBCU, and I believe that a lot of our success, a lot of our legacy, can be attributed to that strength that we have. So when you so some people look at it as being hard, but I look at it as just preparing us for life. And we've been able to over the generations do great, great things, and that we're continuing to grow.
Speaker 8: Please don't go anywhere.
Speaker 7: We'll be right.
Speaker 8: Back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass, hosted by Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Speaker 4: What's driving you, Dennis, what's driving you in this whole process? You know, you say you come from that background that well, you're tired of.
Speaker 3: Working for the man. Now you want to be the man. What's the end goal?
Speaker 6: The in goal is to change the direction of our of the black generations to come. The end goal is to continue to educate those who have minimal amount of capital and those who have an excess amount of capital. The goal is to change the narrative. Listen, I grew up, I didn't know much about real estate. I knew about residential real estate. I had no clue that there was shopping centers and strip malls and apartment complexes that individuals owned, and that the rental income was making those families wealthy. Our goal at Hotel is to have our investors, our community be those individual owners who are getting wealthy. Right, those who are getting the mailbox checks. Some call it as the envelope.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: The cash flow that comes in.
Speaker 6: Teaching those who attend HBCUs and those as you said Rashawan who tend the pwis on how they can be a boss, how they can apply their dollars from either their corporate job or being an entrepreneur and by real estate, by wealth, by cash flowing assets.
Speaker 5: Not just a house or condover townhome.
Speaker 6: We all should have those obviously, but really identified cast loan to where their life is just so much better and the education that growth from there.
Speaker 5: That's the goal.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about this, the whole process of trying to catch up. That's what we were trying to do. You know, because in the black community. I come from Fifth Ward, which is an urban neighborhood inside of Houston. And the first thing, you know, we buy clothes. We can buy Black people can buy clothes.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: Then all of a sudden, we might get us a car, okay, and then if you bless, you get your house. Now you're talking about builders and shopping centers. Then is your I mean you like you over the moon now talking brother?
Speaker 2: You beyond a car?
Speaker 3: You beyond a house?
Speaker 4: How does an individual, even a successful individual, wrap their mind around this conversation you're having with me?
Speaker 5: But we've made this very easy, right.
Speaker 6: Most investment groups have a minimum interance level of fifty.
Speaker 5: Thousand to one hundred thousand dollars. Let's be real, most don't.
Speaker 6: Most are not sitting on fifty to one hundred thousand dollars liquid. We lowered the ball to where our entrance is ten thousand dollars. So rather than going to buy the Jordans, or buying the Blame or buying the you know, the extra package on the brand new car, put ten thousand dollars and let it sit forget about it, because guess what when you put your ten thousand that Bank of America or Chase or Wells Fargo, what are they doing for Sean.
Speaker 5: They're taking our deposits.
Speaker 6: They are investing our deposits into communities that we do not live in.
Speaker 5: And when we go to the bank and ask for.
Speaker 6: A loan, we're the ones getting denied when they're using our dollars sitting in their banks. So take those dollars, put them into an investment, sit on it, and watch it grow. So ten thousand dollars is our entrance. And for those who put in ten thousand or north thereof, they're able to receive cash flow, they're able to get attached right off to save them on their UH income taxes. They're able to get equity. So we make it really easy for those to participate inside of the whotail group.
Speaker 3: Cool I'm gonna go over to mikel hire from it.
Speaker 4: Michael, how did you get into Dennis's life?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, so Actually.
Speaker 7: It was a very serendipitous event that brought Dennis and I together. Uh, we actually roundabout way came together by way of my fraternity, which is Kapa Alpha PSI Fraternity incorporated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, meres another fraternity other than Alpha out there, that's what you trying to tell me, brother, Well.
Speaker 7: I thought we were the only fraternity, but you know, we learned every day.
Speaker 6: Wait, wait, I have to interject, because Rashan, you talked about the vision. You asked us question earlier about the vision of Wolter and if I remember correctly from history, the visionaries of the seven founders of Alpha Phi Alpha Alpha side.
Speaker 5: Right now.
Speaker 2: Please, Hey, hey, Rashaan, it's nineteen eleven, love brother. I.
Speaker 7: So Dennis actually began, as you mentioned earlier, he began the Halltaire Group with three other co founders, two of which are members of my fraternity and one of which, Marcide Hatcher, is a mutual friend of one of my fraternity brothers. So, as I was looking to transition from the residential side of real estate, where I made my bones for many years into the commercial side and into an opportunity to really help our community build wealth. I saw that my fraternity brother Marcide began this company along with Dennis and was doing some amazing things. So I reached out to him and I said, hey, man, I love to sit down and talk to you and your partners because everything you're creating with the Halltaire Group resonates with my passions and my goal in life, which is to help my community and my family build generational wealth.
Speaker 2: And that's how I met Dennis. We had a conversation.
Speaker 7: I think he saw that I could be a great addition to the team and the rest was history.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go granular here, Dennis, because I really want to understand what's going on.
Speaker 3: With the hotel group.
Speaker 4: Okay, you investing properties, buildings, shopping malls, to do rewrite strip centers.
Speaker 6: No, sir, No, we are for those familiar with Los Angeles, we are in and out burger.
Speaker 5: We do burgers and fries.
Speaker 6: And I say that because we do multifamily and only multifamily.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 4: I'm going over to the to the math police over here by kare you know? I got to ask about this podcast because I know you.
Speaker 3: I'd be keeping on my show, Dennis.
Speaker 4: You your first time, but I know where the talking machine is right there, right there?
Speaker 3: You know. So, ho, you got a podcast that my care tell me about.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 7: We are so proud of our It's called The How with Haltare podcast.
Speaker 2: The how is an acronym how.
Speaker 7: It stands for helping others win and that says it all in a nutshell.
Speaker 2: We develop.
Speaker 7: We developed this platform Rashan in order to educate the community on all things regarding financial literacy, wealth being, entrepreneurship, investing, and everything under the sun. You ask the question earlier when it comes to bringing people into the Haltare ecosystem.
Speaker 2: How do we explain what we do? How do we pitch them?
Speaker 7: Well, at Haltaire, we don't even like to look at our business education as a pitch, right. Obviously, we're a for profit business and we bring in investors, but we don't like to pitch our investors.
Speaker 2: We like to educate them and we do it in.
Speaker 7: A variety of ways, and the podcast is an extremely unique and creative way that we're doing it for your listeners out there that are interested in hearing or seeing the podcast. You can find us on YouTube just type in how with Hantaire. We're on Spotify, Amazon, Apple Podcasts, wor getting out far and wide with this message with Sean because we want the community at large to understand that everybody out there can do what we do.
Speaker 2: And that's what we're letting them know.
Speaker 3: See what I'm saying. You see what I'm saying, Tennis. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: My piece, that's my VP. That's but you know what, I would be remiss if I do not challenge your guy's fraternity.
Speaker 6: I'm going to Alpha Side on money Making with Rashaw McDonald Get it.
Speaker 4: Right, Money Making Conversation Masterclass Alpha Kappa Omega. All right, I ain't got no problem being challenged because that's what we do well.
Speaker 6: Omega and Kappa Alpha Side Alpha find Alpha two dates per this conversation has raised one point one million dollars that has gone into our assets across the United States.
Speaker 5: So I am officially challenging Omega SCIE five.
Speaker 6: I am challenging Kapa Alpha, PSI five, Beta Sigma and all the others in the Divine nine the Back Hotel Group. Put your black dollars behind a black company who are doing phenomenal business and grow your Portfoltios within your organization.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, like you said for Smith Arkansast like you said, Saint Louis like you said, Maroo Louisiana, like I said East New Orleans. They are projects they're developing in the Texas market. They gonna announce it a few days when they break bread. They're gonna bring Rashaan down so I can break bread with them, throw a little.
Speaker 3: Dirt route do it like that.
Speaker 4: But the good thing about it, I want to take the time for the thank you guys for coming over here, because you know.
Speaker 3: The model is simple. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You buy your investing properties eighty five percent occupancy. That means there's a return on investment immediately. Eight percent is an your return on an investment. And so with that being said, the research is put in.
Speaker 3: On the properties.
Speaker 4: The properties have high value, not holding on to them for five years or longer. It's the whole process seems very simple to me.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 4: I want to thank y'all for coming on my show, Money Making Conversation Masterclife. If I said anything, Chairman, you can strike me down, brother, you can strike me down.
Speaker 5: That's great.
Speaker 2: Rashaan, Hey, hey, Rashaan.
Speaker 7: The only thing you missed is the is the equity appreciation. We're all about building wealth, and one thing I just wanted to shout out is that all of our assets have appreciated tremendously in equity. The eight percent eight percent cash return is good, it's great. But the equity, we're talking about millions and millions of dollars that our investors are going to be able to cash in on and have that wealth for the next generation.
Speaker 4: And so when they come in, that's their equity point when they come when they invest in, and then it ascends from there.
Speaker 3: That's how it works, yes, sir.
Speaker 7: When you invest that establishes your base, as we would call it in the industry, and then over time, as you live in one of our funds, then your equity in that fund appreciates over time. So if we buy a property for ten million dollars, after three years, it's worth fifteen sixteen million. Whenever we decide to sell or refinance that property, you get your pro right to share of that profit.
Speaker 2: That's where the wealth comes in, right.
Speaker 4: See that's that Hen and jam you ain't telling it about it. You know, you know what I'm saying. That's why you got Michael right here doing this. Thank you guys for coming on Money Making Conversations Master Say. I appreciate your time. I really appreciate you guys understanding what I'm trying to do on this show.
Speaker 3: But more importantly, one.
Speaker 4: More quick shout out about the podcast. Fore I'll let you go with Michael.
Speaker 7: Yes, please please go like, subscribe and follow the How with Haltare podcast. That's how helping others win. We're on YouTube and everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You'll love it.
Speaker 9: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com.
Speaker 8: And always remember to lead with your gifts