Speaker 1: Reality TV shows have made a huge resurgence lately.
Speaker 2: Oh they aren't go away. It's Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like they had a lull, but now they're getting really, really popular again, and not just the trash ones that Alexis.
Speaker 2: Likes, like Three Way Island and Milf Mountain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't you know you watch them too, That's all you two have in common. Honestly, they are pretty good and I guess they are mostly trash, but it is fun to watch. And the big question is how do they get so much drama out of these people?
Speaker 2: Do they get drunk?
Speaker 1: Do they walk into a therapist office and say, oh, Sam unstable want to be on TV?
Speaker 2: That's kind of what they do in the audition, isn't that what it is?
Speaker 1: It's actually surprisingly not that easy. And I know that because reality producers and former contestants recently spilled the juicy secrets of what really goes on behind the scenes of your favorite reality shows, like, for example, on the show Survivor, the host Jeff Probes just explained on a podcast recently, contestants are allowed to go to the bathroom without a camera or a producer present, but only if they go alone.
Speaker 2: See somebody else's time to film.
Speaker 1: They're hooking up if you want to hooking up, well, hopefully not on Survivor, maybe they are, but the whole idea is if you want to take a restroom break with other people, the cameras have to roll, so you can't use that time to conspire or make secret allegiances.
Speaker 2: That sounds like, why would you go with somebody else if you're not hooking Terrible on the show Survivor would get kicked off the plane on the flight thereass On the show The Bachelor, one of my favorites, one of the.
Speaker 1: Former producers admitted that they influence which contestants stay and which ones get sent.
Speaker 2: We I thought it was all up to whoever you know.
Speaker 1: Connect.
Speaker 2: That's what we all are hoping to. Awful person that's on their soul. That's the thing.
Speaker 1: They know who the villain is, and they know who's going to start the most drama, so they want to keep them around.
Speaker 2: They even decide the order of who gets a rose in the rose ceremonies. Oh, like, so who gets eliminated? Essentially like when your name gets called?
Speaker 1: Yeah, plus for the one on one dates, No one's allowed to eat the plates of food when they have dinner.
Speaker 2: What why serve it?
Speaker 1: They show like those big fancy dinners and they're sitting at a table in some like beautiful garden or something. They say it's because the viewers don't want to watch people eat.
Speaker 2: They just want to see the lobster tail, but.
Speaker 1: They don't want to see the Plus, the microphones would pick up the chewing if they were actually eat.
Speaker 2: Which I think is like part of the experience.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, like, can you imagine the Bachelor's just this really rude dude who can't close his mouth. I don't like two three days if he turned out to be the guy who strapes his teeth on the floor.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I couldn't never watch again.
Speaker 1: But in between all the date stuff that they film, they go back to the hotel to shower and eat dinner by themselves. We're talking about behind the scenes secrets that contestants and Hollywood producers have shared about our favorite reality TV shows and on the Masked Singer. To protect each celebrity secret identity, they have to have private security follow them around. Oh I didn't even think about that because people would leak it that work there anybody. Staff are never allowed to use their phones under any circumstances during the entire show. If they ever do have to take an emergency call, they're required to wear a pageant sash that says phone Queen on it, the reality TV equivalent of a dunce cap.
Speaker 2: Basically. Now, the cooking show Top Chef, you I've seen like bits and Pieces of us. There's like fifteen seasons. It's crazy. They make me too hungry to watch.
Speaker 1: Actually, they have an unofficial extra judge on that show for when, like the main TV judges, can't make up their minds about whose food dish is the best and worst, they'll turn to a camera operator named t Bone and he gets to cast the final decision on who should win each round. Are you telling me that they don't include this on television?
Speaker 2: That would be way funnier.
Speaker 1: It would be so good, But Top Chef isn't supposed to be funnier, right, I thought that.
Speaker 2: For I said it, it's like it's very prestigious.
Speaker 1: Imagine te Yeah, I know Alexis wants to hear about this.
Speaker 2: Love Island already know, Jeff, you probably do know this.
Speaker 1: But the contestants, if you're on the show, are never allowed to know.
Speaker 2: The actual time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no clocks allowed in Love Island Villa.
Speaker 2: No watches either, like a casino.
Speaker 1: One of the contestants that you're in your own secluded world.
Speaker 2: You know nothing. You don't even know what day it is. That would be weird.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be like the ree coupley like three am sometimes just to get emotions like super high too and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Or they don't know they're tired.
Speaker 1: I don't know, because this island for.
Speaker 2: A crazy think.
Speaker 1: This is a show where you combine Love Island and Survivor together. Yea, Now we're talking about behind the scenes secrets that contestants and all the other producers are shared about reality shows. Back to Bachelor. If you see Bachelor in Paradise, the contestants all seem really really wasted the entire time for sure, very sloppy. But turns out they're not because they have a strict two drink per hour limit on the island, and how do they.
Speaker 2: Explain their behavior. That's why they don't want this out being drunk.
Speaker 1: One of the former participants on the show said the bartenders actually have a little binder with everybody's photo in it, and every time you get a drink, sir, they do a little tick mark by your picture.
Speaker 2: That's so, what's really happening is people are stealing other people's drinks. Yeah, all the show's on the other show.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 2: And finally, does anybody watch Shark Tank here? I do? I do? I like that one too.
Speaker 1: Apparently contestants have to endure the most awkward thirty seconds of their entire life when they go on the show because when they first walk out in front of the judges, okay, they're not allowed to speak at all for a whole thirty seconds. You can see that every time they walk out, they sit, they stand, and then the judges all judge and talk about them. Well, so the whole reason is so that the camera crew can adjust the mic.
Speaker 2: Levels and get the camera angles right.
Speaker 1: One business owner from season six said, you're just kind of standing there, the sharks are all smiling awkwardly at you, and the whole thing is pretty weird and intense.
Speaker 2: You think that'd be your worst night, Merrilexis, I'd be like, all right, I'm not going home. Actually, that's terrible.
Speaker 1: Those are the behind the scenes secret of your favorite reality TV shows. We've got your phone tap coming.
Speaker 2: Up right after this. Brooking Jeffrey in the morning