Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha, and welcome to Steph. I never told you a prediction of iHeartRadio. And as we record this, we are just now entering the month of April twenty twenty four, which is the month of the Earth, the environmentalism, that's how I call it. That's what I said, month of the months of the Earth. And to that end, I was looking back over our a very long catalog and I found an episode i'd forgotten we'd done about eco friendly sex lives, and I thought, you know what, let's bring that one back, So please enjoy. Hey, this is.
Speaker 2: Annie and Samantha.
Speaker 1: I welcome to step told you a production of iHeartRadio. So a quick content warning for this one. We're not going to get it into anything to in depth, but we are talking about we're revisiting our conversation around sex toys and sex shops. Adult toys, oh yes, adult toys. Yes, So just to be aware that that's what we're talking about recently. But a while ago, we did an episode on sexism at sex toy shops, and no joke. The very next day, this huge report came out about environmentally friendly sex toys and aids that happens all the time.
Speaker 2: Of course, timestamp thing so people can understand, yes, now we know the new information, stop adding us.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's so frustrating though when it half the timing is just right. I know, it's like we're on we're at the beginning of some wave.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, so that's what we're going to say, even though the content comes out like a week later exactly reported.
Speaker 1: But you know exactly, we're ahead of the curves.
Speaker 2: That's what's happening. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But anyway, Yes, we thought we would dig into into that because it turns out a lot of the items we use in this arena are not the best for the environment, and some companies are looking to provide more eco friendly alternatives. One of the big issues when it comes to the sustainability of sex items is that there's no real reusability, like you can't donate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after you've used it, that's it.
Speaker 1: I don't if you think about it, no, no, no, no no. But there has been a lot of innovation in this field. Nowadays. A whole world of more environmentally friendly sex toys and items exist, including by a degradable, rechargeable, and solar powered vibraiders, vibrators made of recycled materials and a carbon neutral rabbit units that separate so that you can replace one section of it if it breaks another issue. Sex toys in the US aren't really regulated, so products can make claims that aren't necessarily true. So do your research. If you can fix it instead of throwing it away, do that. There are how to's online, and I'll say, if anyone's listening to this, then you're like, it just doesn't sound like it will be comfortable or good. There are reviews out there. They sound some of them sound pretty good.
Speaker 2: I was timpted Amazon reviews. I know we're not necessarily we're not sponsored by Amazon, we're not necessarily advocating for Amazon. But the reason they they've got through reviews, and those are important. Hopefully they're not bought, but I definitely some of them are really funny and entertaining itself just saying yes. But let's talk about condom. Every year we produce and throw away about ten billion Latex condoms. A lot of condoms are made with casin ooh, a milk protein, meaning they are not vegan friendly. Also, casin is used for meat, which okay, On top of that, the rubber used isn't always ethically sourced, and the packaging is often not recycled friendly, which I've figured out. There's a lot of things that I thought could be recyclable and are not, and I'm very sad by this. Anyway, some companies have started updating the rubber and packaging they used to tackle these issues.
Speaker 1: Yes, and as always like, we're obviously big promoters of save sex use a condom, but it is good that we're talking about this, right if this is such an issue around waste, and I think a lot of people don't really think about it, and it's one of those things. When I saw the heads one, I was like, oh, of course, but I hadn't really thought about it that much.
Speaker 2: What's the solution is? The other part is like, wait, yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly. So I'm glad there's this push for this and that some companies are are stepping up, and you can find these lists online. People have compiled lists of environmentally friendly, are friendli or sex items, so you can definitely find all this information. Lube has gotten in the game too, with plant and water based varieties. There are recipes for homemade types too. This recently made the realms because people were like, it's.
Speaker 2: A big asterisk on this one. Please be careful because absolute yeah. No, I did have a friend who got allomed. She was so excited and then she was on fire for three days. It is said plant based.
Speaker 1: No, yes, that is a great point, like make sure test on your body small amounts. Also make sure it works with whatever sex item you're using it on, because you know some of them aren't compatible. A lot of lubes are petroleum based though, so this is a a big deal for those in the bdsm kin community. Finding non leather products can be a challenge. A few companies offering sturdy and comfortable alternatives for a wide range of bodies have emerged. Other companies offer imitation silk. There are paddles made with sustainability in mind too. All of these things are available.
Speaker 2: Recently, a UK health food chain called Holland and Barrett introduced a series of vegan friendly vibrators shaped like produce from vegan toys. A customer can choose from shapes like banana, chili, corn, eggplant, carrot, and cucumber. They are made with a medical grade silicone and on their website, so vegan toys claims quote, vegetables are healthy, right, that's exactly why we create our products in that shape, as orgasms are healthy too and should be part of a healthy lifestyle.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: This also made the headlines, as you probably surprised, as no one. I think they sold out. I think certain certain ones of them sold out.
Speaker 2: There's so many urban legends that follow with those specific vegetables and fruits that they decided to use.
Speaker 1: So hm hmm, well, yeah, as always all of this stuff like just we want everybody to be healthy and have a fun time. We also want to help the planet where we can. But do definitely know what you're putting in your body, I guess, is what I'm trying to say. There are other tips to like avoiding shower sex and having sex with the lights off. That's all part of this big report on how we can make our sex lives more environmentally friendly. If we have sex vibes, always make sure you know how to properly upkeep as well. And yes, yes, so you can find all this information out there if you want to learn more. It has been in the news lately, and encourage, yeah, encourage you to check it out. If you're interested and as always, we would love to hear from you, you can email us Atuffanidia mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter apt mom Stuff Podcast or on Instagram at Stuff I've Never Told You. Thanks as always to our super producer Christina.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Christina, We're so sorry, and thanks to you for listening.
Speaker 1: Stuff I've Never Told You, the production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,