Speaker 1: Mute for us.
Speaker 2: If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to Software Radio, Special Operations, Military Nails on straight Talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's going on? This is rad and you are listening or watching another episode of soft Reap Radio. I am super excited to talk to my next guest. But before I introduce you and his disclaimers, Okay, so stay tuned. I want to talk about the merch store. So we have soft reap dot com forward slash Merch. We have all of our branded goods in there with the Softwap logo soft Reap Radio. We really appreciate you guys supporting and helping, really honestly to keep the gas place going. I love to do the show, so thank you again to Brandon Webb for thinking about me as the host. Thank you to you the listener for buying our merchant, listening and commenting and all of those things that you guys do to keep us going. And then also the book club. We have the soft rep dot com Forward slash book hyphen Club. Please go check it out if you like to read. If you notice that my guest has a lot of books behind him, The book club. It's a cool place to be. All the cool kids are at the book club, So go check out soft rep dot com book club. And without further ado, I want to bring on John Daly, who comes with the disclaimer. All right, His disclaimer is that these are his opinions and his solely. He doesn't represent any higher agency other than himself and whoever he says he represents. But I want to let you know that this is just a good conversation between two dudes who are going to talk about tough, rugged bastards, which is the book that he has written with his experience from the United States Marine Corps MARSK SOCOM. Welcome to the show, John.
Speaker 1: Thanks Rand I'm super stoked to be here.
Speaker 3: We're super stoked to have you here. And I love the fact that you're stoked always. So we made sure there was a disclaimer said that you know, this is just straight up talk. But I want to ask you a question right for my viewers that may not see it and you hear it. He has a paddle on his wall that has the spade encompassed in a circle with a red circle around that spade. That lets me think Pendleton or West coast. Maybe what's going on with that paddle.
Speaker 1: That is actually the Marsak emblem, So it's not I did spend most of my time out at Pendleton, and they do have a similar the Camp Pendleton emblem, which was initially a brand that was branded on the cattle that roamed on that when it was a ranch. But yeah, that particular emblem is the Marine Corps Special Operations Command, and that's where I retired from active duty from.
Speaker 3: That's let you. I have a friend that was in the first recon out there, and I think their symbol is the spade as well. I think of that sort in a circle, So I was just thinking of that was the same, all right.
Speaker 1: Now, the Marsk emblem encompasses all three of the battalions, the raider battalions and the raider support battalions that fall underneath the component.
Speaker 3: So why would a guy like you have that or what does that or signify.
Speaker 1: So the tradition of the paddles, and I've got a few of them scattered around here, allegedly goes back to the Marine Raiders of World War Two. And I say allegedly because it's a little bit of a little bit of myth, right, But the legend has it that when it when you checked into a raider unit and then later into a reconnaissance unit, one of the first things they issued you was a paddle because we're amphibious, right, so we do a lot of small boat operations, and when it came time for you to leave the organization, the paddle would be stolen, you know, it would be kind of sanded down, cleaned up, decorated and then presented act to you when you left. We've largely found that that's that's not true, and that the tradition originated quite a bit later, you know, in the eighties actually, or the seventies maybe, but it's it's still it's it's less important the validity of the of the tradition than it is the tradition. So the idea really means that, you know, on a on a small boat team like with us with the raiders or amphibious reconnaissance or with the Seals, that you you're everything relies on the team. You can't get anywhere with one guy paddling, right, It takes a team effort. So the paddles a symbol that you served and pulled your weight on a team.
Speaker 3: With regards to small boats, we're talking like these black looking you know styles Zodiac, the F.
Speaker 1: Four seventies, the ones that you spent a lot of time paddling.
Speaker 3: So like guys get washed in the surf trying to get out of the break, Like all the recruiter enlistment promos where they're going up the wave, you just know they're going backwards after that point. That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's that's where small engines, you know, outboard engines come in handy. But there are there are times when when it's it's necessary for one reason or another, the engine goes out that you have to always have to be prepared to paddle, and it just really represents that everybody's got to pull their own weight.
Speaker 3: And so you're saying there is an engine available after training, so there might be an engine on that it's not just all the alley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we do. We do use use engines when available.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure. So if there's a young man out there who's thinking about going into the Marine Corps and he's thinking about, you know, hey this who knows where boot camp takes you? Right? Do you get pulled out of boot camp and to go into any specialty schools, Like, hey, you know, all the drill starters are standing around and watching the fastest guy and then he gets pulled over. Is that kind of how it is for you getting pulled in?
Speaker 1: Not generally you uh, before you come in, you'll talk with the recruiter and and yes you have a wish list, Hey I want to do this, this or this, and as long as you make it, you when you get to following boot camp, you'll go to the school for that specialty. Now that's the exception to that is MARSK. To become a raider, you have to actually spend a couple of years proving yourself in the Marine Corps before you get the opportunity to try out.
Speaker 3: Well that's a bad US. So you got to be already tenured and then they want to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. Yeah, we have our own separate recruiters that you know, a marine you know sends an email to and says, hey, I'd like to opportunity to try out.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, So then they put forth the effort. So once you get into the Marine Corps and you go through all of the in processing and what is it called MCRD marine Corps recruiting gess, yeah, the recruit.
Speaker 1: Depot, and then the Marine Combat Training and whatever your specialty is, the infantry school if you're an infantryman or you know, there's I don't know how many various occupational specialties, so many you can come from any of those that apply to come to Marstock. So we've had people that played the tuba. We've had, you know, people whose job it was to tell the weather, you know, people who you know, certainly lots of infantrymen and reconnaissance folks, but admin clerks and crew chiefs.
Speaker 3: Sometimes the tuba player just gets it. Huh.
Speaker 1: Sometimes sometimes they do. We've had some success with tuba players.
Speaker 3: I love that that is that shows that anybody has the opportunity as long as they just have the mentality. I'd imagine. Right, I'm not a raider. That's a hardcore thing, bro and your hardcore and I'm not I'm not even trying to lightly you know, say, what you did that wave going over, that's just a piece of what you've done to your body to stay in a professional athletees. You're a professional athlete. There's like just no question about it. You were paid just to work out to do a mission in a job as an athlete. Basically, in my opinion, my father was a Green Beret, so I would, you know, ride my bike while he rucksacked and he ran with his rock just like a normal day. That's normal, yeah, to me as a kid growing up. So you know, I remember we'd go up to the base here Hill, Air Force Base in Salt Lake and he'd be running up the hill and I'd be riding my bike next to him and he's just taking me out, you know, as his father's son and han his run. And someone pulled over and they're like, hey, do you guys need a ride up to the base. And he's like, no, we're good, dude, and we're going around and like another two more miles this way back to the house. We're not going to the base, which is right there. So you know, I saw the difference between the Air Force and the Army at that very moment in my life as young man.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's a lot. And I've been retired from active duty for six two thousand and eight, so I've been I've been out of it for a while on an activeduty side, I still have the great you know fortune to work with with raiders and help train raiders. But yeah, the we share a lot in common with professional athletes kind of with the exception generally of the support, you know, people taking care of you like a professional athlete. That's that's gotten better. So with you know, physical therapist, physical trainers, on staff, nutrition as coaches.
Speaker 3: Kind of across the board.
Speaker 1: To recognize that the folks that do this job, you know, across all the branch of service, are you know, particularly special operations or you know, it takes a toll on your body. Oh yeah, I can attest to.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I bet, I bet. Are you going to the VA at all or are you using that aspect of your military benefit?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, we I'm fortunate in that being retired and living right beside Camp Lejun, I also can go on base to the medical facilities there. Sure, but but yeah, the VA provides some benefits that the military doesn't.
Speaker 3: So that is lucky. You are lucky to have a base next to you with medical facilities that you can go on. I mean, Hill Air Force Base is a huge base here in Utah. But they don't they shut down all of that medical just mandatory you know airman stuff that go into the clinic. It's now called the clinic. Used to be surgery in there, but now it's just a clinic and maybe an ambulance for on call stuff. So, you know, most folks don't have that luxury to have, Like Camp La June. How's that water? What is that? Is that real? Is that water thing?
Speaker 1: It's it's well, it's not a thing anymore. But I actually had joined the Marine Corps and I was I was here for the tail end of that for only about a month. So I signed up for the little register, you know, in case I have any issues later on. But between that and the burn pits and all the other you know things that the Marine Corps exposed me to over the years, I feel like I'm in pretty good shape at the moment.
Speaker 3: Would you retire as John if you don't mind.
Speaker 1: I was a master sergeant.
Speaker 3: A master sergeant in the Marine Corps is not a joke. No, no, no. So the next thing up is a master guns or were you a master guns? Yes?
Speaker 1: No, I was a master sergeant, so there would have been one more step. I was close to it, but I was in the position that I was in, you know, it seemed like it was time for me to move.
Speaker 3: On and take your client times about. Yes. Yeah, by moving on, I got to kind of stay.
Speaker 1: So I was able to leave active duty and almost immediately returned to Marshak to the school as a sibon.
Speaker 3: So it's it.
Speaker 1: Was a right decision for me. You know, there are certainly times when I regret, you know, not having you worn the rank of a master gun. So it's kind of the epitome of coolness in my book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, because I mean, yeah, it would be. That would be you know, you got so high on that ladder, and then that next thing is you know, master guns. But congratulations to you getting there on your master sergeant rank. That's you know, I know, all these young marines, all these pooleys that turn into a private are just like, you know, I can't wait to be a corporal or a lance corporal, Like I can't wait. You know, it's just like the and then staff sergeant, and then it's gunnery sergeant, you know, and it's just like and you get there, and then it's the gunny sleeve rolls and then it's not the gunny sleeve rolls right exactly out when you were writing your book. That's coming out. It comes out later this summer in August or they're about really just in time for fourth quarter, really perfect timing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: It's called tough Rugged Bastards. You know you all Marines are that. That's how I see it. Why did you come up with tough rugged bastards? And tell us a little bit about the story that's going to happen in this book. So my listener is going to want to go and get.
Speaker 1: That, certainly. So a real quick history when in nineteen eighty seven Special Operations Command was activated and when it was the Marine Corps was invited or to participate and send the Force Reconnaissance marines over. The Marine Corps pushed back against that, said no, we don't want to do that. So that was about right when I was coming in the Marine Corps, and it took me a while to work my way into Force recon By two thousand and one, I was a gunnery sergeant and I was a platoon sergeant for a Force recon pultoon setting in a pub in Darwin, Australia, drinking beer when because the time difference, the television switched to the towers. You know, it was like ten o'clock at night, so we were almost immediately back on the boat headed to Afghanistan. So I hit Afghanistan in November of two thousand and one. And as that was happening, the government was realizing that with this coming war there was going to be a great requirement for special operations forces. So the Army Special Forces was told to grow, grow more, the Seals were told to grow, and the Marine Corps was told, hey, you're going to participate this time around and again. In kind of true Marine Corps fashion, the Marine Corps was, you know, now, we're good. We really we kind of like to keep to ourselves. But Secretary at Defense Rumsfelds, you know it said hey, I'm not stuttering, You're gonna You're gonna do this thing. So what they eventually worked out was that we would form a test unit and it would it was called Detachment One. We would deploy underneath the seal infrastructure, and uh, you know, based on the success of that deployment, the determination would be made if there would Morshock would be created or not.
Speaker 3: And I had the.
Speaker 1: Great fortune to be selected to be one of the team leaders in that unit. So there were four of us initially, you know, four team leaders. There were gunnies and masters, sergeants, and total of about about one hundred personnel total to kind of across the shooters h to intel folks, to communicators, terminal error controllers, kind of across the mix. And we were called, like I said, Detachment one. And the commander was a guy who I had worked for previously at Force Rican and he's really a legend in Force Rican, Colonel Robert J. Coates, And he was the kind of guy that I had worked for forever. But still, you know, when he called you into his office, you stood up really straight, and you were nervous, all right, just to be around him. And so he called me into his office and gave me his expectations of what he expected of his team leaders, and uh, you know, one of the things that stuck in my head always was said, he said, hey, I want you know, you get to pick your own team, but I want tough, rugged bastards with strong backs and hard feet. And so that uh, you know, I went out and I found, you know, a bunch of tough, rugged bastards that that wanted to be a part of it. And uh, that's that's where the name of the book came from.
Speaker 3: So Colonel Coats. Yes, I bet I feel like I should just stand up straight right now thinking about you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was, I mean a guy, as a young young recon officer, was was down in South America doing things like as as like one of the few Americans down there. You know, I just had a just a legend, and so you know, when the opportunity came, I had worked with them with the Rain Expeditionary Unit. I had had him as a commanding officer twice and then then a third time with Detachment one. So it was, uh, you know, it was a phenomenal experience. So we we trained up deployed with as a task unit. So we were called tasking a Raider underneath the Navy Seal Task Group you know archestra task forces.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Do you guys all wear the same uniform? You guys all wore the same uniform as seals to look the same you guys, did they wear the same thing as you?
Speaker 1: We didn't. We didn't work with I mean immediately with them. I mean, so there were Seal teams doing their thing. We were doing our own thing, but we just reported to the Seal. But we wore we all wore the at the time, the old kind of tricolor Tricolor desert uniform.
Speaker 3: Coffee stained looking desert storm that was Moornato with the chocolate chip. But you guys had the Tricolor colors.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it was it was cool. You know that.
Speaker 3: That set us.
Speaker 1: Apart a little bit. We really because of the requirements of this evaluation. They did not want us working with other Marine units. They wanted to kind of succeed or fail on our own. So we worked. Like I said, we reported to a Navy Seal Task Group and occasionally we would do some some things with them. We worked pretty closely with a Polish gram a U and yeah, a bunch of bad asses.
Speaker 3: So we love piano. They have a piano lore about their whole thing with their piano.
Speaker 1: The awesome and we had UH And it wound up being a really eventful deployment in two thousand and four, a lot of raids we got the opportunity to go after. We were really sent there to target sell leaders and bomb makers and financiers and higher level folks. So it was it was a blast. We got to uh protect the we were response for protecting the vice president who was a Kurd and uh not not didn't have too many fans across the board to the other sitting and that is where, yeah, nobody was really big fans of the Kurds their land. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: Hello, there's like twenty thirty million Kurds wandering all over what's we call Syria, Iraq and the Middle East, and they were these lines were drawn by the Ottoman Empire that just goes straight down the map and just broke up their whole Curtis.
Speaker 1: Stand Yeah, and they really separated them and kind of created this diaspora of folks that you know, and the times that we worked with him, he was a great guy. The vice president, Reis Shahwe's you know, we didn't work I mean I didn't get the opportunity that sat down and chat with them a whole lot. He was the interim vice president, so they were kind of busy, you know, trying to rebuild the country. But but that was a really neat opportunity. You know, we had a pretty robust sniper presence and so you know, I got the opportunity to lead some sniper missions in different places.
Speaker 3: So it was a.
Speaker 1: Really great deployment. We came back from that and ultimately the decision was then made to increase the size, so Marsok was activated in two thousand and six.
Speaker 3: You know, my background is a lot of war games. I do a lot of Airsoft war games here in Utah. I work with a lot of people that you know, get out or never could get in and they go and have a good time shoulder to shoulder, wear that kind of gear and play war games. In that time period Marsok was coming out, there was like a nineteen eleven pistol that was like coined to Marsok. They like get the nineteen eleven I think, and then all of a sudden, Airsoft it was like you got to have a Marsok load out. It was like you're the Kobe Bryants, You're the Michael Jordans of that day. And everybody's like, okay, I need black knee pads with tricolor and like, you know, cause it wasn't quite you know, we're still dealing with old surplus stuff. So our software mechanics, gloves from you know the local checker auto or something like that, by personal purchase stuff. Oh, like the skate knee pads for like skateboarding, right right, Like the protect helmets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we had at different times we wore like all of those things, but we had. What was interesting was that with the pistol, particularly with some Marine Corps had held on to the nineteen eleven for you know, long after everybody had gone to the nine mil. And you know, it took like all of the pistols that the Marine Corps could put together and our armors, our match armors to kind of rebuild them and try to get them any shape. And you know, we were just convinced that, you know, you needed a man size round to stop people. So maa, we we carried you know, the the nineteen eleven. Were super proud of it. But when when Debt one started, there warn't enough to go around, and so we went to Kimber and had Kimber build a gun for us. And I've got one around somewhere.
Speaker 3: It's uh it we are doun for air softers too. I'm not even a kid. It's like, you know, oh, do you have the EMYU or the MARSK nineteen eleven and it has the spade on the grips and whatnot, and you know, I just want you know, that's it's flattering for that to happen, right.
Speaker 1: Cool, Yeah, I was. I was kind of flattered to looking up something and the Marine Special Operations re Enactment Battalion like showed up like MSORB. I was like, what the what the heck? You know, it kind of made it now and you know, now we've got people dressing up and going out and doing things, So that was that was kind of cool when I saw that. Some I mean, I'm sure it's grown a lot now, but this was years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, years ago, and it was very like, you know, underground and a lot of people might have mistook it as something other than but none of these people are trying to like get on a base in that gear. No one's trying to. They're playing like at the you know two on two where Kobe Bryant jersey. He's not going to show up to the basketball court be like, hey kid, take my jersey and shoes off. Bro, you're not me what are you doing? No, He's like no, Wow, you know today's air softer could be tomorrow's you right right, you know they're out there, they're putting their boots on the ground already. They've already got the gear. They should just now. They's got to have a mentality in the and the and if you're thinking about it, yeah, just go get it done and give it a shot and see if it's what is in your toolbox. You just don't know unless you try. That's all I can say. All right, yeah, exactly, you know, because who knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure there there are a lot of very successful, you know, special operation folks across the services that have got their start. I mean I got my start running around in the woods with you know, recreation World War two or stuff own er Vietnam, you know, surplus stuff, you know, pretending like I was on a long range reconnaissance patrol, you.
Speaker 3: Know, still wearing it. Look, these are R d L Vietnam issued. You know how hard it is to find a pair of six foot five issue Vietnam kit and yeah, I can imagine that is hard. And when they showed up, I was like, and they're so comfortable nineteen sixty eight on the tag?
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow?
Speaker 3: How many farts? Could this thing? Tell me about it? You know? Yeah, I'm sure I've seen some things. One time we were in the bush. These pants saved my life I'm sure you did pants. I'm sure you did it. Oh my gosh. Now, okay, so how old were you when you enlisted in the Marine Corps? I like to find that out. Yeah, I was. I was seventeen.
Speaker 1: I always just you know, graduated from high school and I had already signed up and was already ready to go. I had a date, you know. So it was about I turned eighteen in boot camp. So I had known from the time I was little that, you know, that's what I wanted to do. And so I, you know, kind of you know, grew up in the era where you know, everything was about Vietnam, you know, from all the TV shows and movies and Chuck Norris and Rambo and and everything, and none of all of that just yeah, just even the movies that were kind of meant to be uh like anti war you know or whatever. I didn't didn't that didn't click, you know, they were just they were war movies, like The Dirty Dozen, the Dirty Dozen. Yeah, yeah, absolutely one. I mean I think Rambo was supposed to have some you know, uh.
Speaker 3: It's never over, It's never over. It's nothing's over. Yeah it.
Speaker 1: Full Metal Jacket came out actually shortly after I joined, but that was, you know, a hugely anti war movie that didn't register with us. You know, we just we thought it was the coolest thing ever.
Speaker 3: So you were you went in after that came out. So was anything like what you went through when you saw Full Metal Jackets? You say, oh, hey, he hit hit it on the head with his basic training, or did you think, ah, you know, now it's that came out.
Speaker 1: I saw that after I finished boot camp, so yeah, and it was pretty quickly after. I mean, I think within a couple of months. You know, we all were in infantry school and we went to go see it. And there are a lot of I mean a lot of similarities you know in boot camp and the some of it it seems incredibly mindless. You know, he's getting yelled at and so you know, he did a really good job with that. I thought, you know, I really kind of wish I would have seen it before I went. I think it would have prepared me a little bit. Oh really, yeah, I think so. I think I had the uh fortune. I think, you know, I quickly realized that you know, the good fortune and at boot camp was a game, right, I mean, you've got to get through it. It's serious and there's obviously stuff to learn, but uh, you know, a guy who can't be mad at you, you know, because your brand new it this thing screaming at you in your face. You know, if you you could either take that to heart or you could realize that hey man, he's he's doing his thing, trying to make me better. And so you know, I can uh, I can dig it right, So I'll uh, you know, I'll do I'll play the game, I'll uh, I'll yell loud if he wants me to yell.
Speaker 3: I'll run as fast as he wants me to to run.
Speaker 1: And then you know, when I get get through with this kind of proven you know that I'm I have what it takes, then I'll be ready to you know, learn, you know whatever it is that that these guys have to teach.
Speaker 3: Me, right, and they want to see you succeed. They're there to see you succeed. They're not there to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah they don't do it, yeah they uh, I mean it's varies, I think, you know, but as long as you're somebody that's that's putting out doing a good job, yeah, they they want you to to be successful. I'm sure there are people that they they're doing everything in their power to get to get out.
Speaker 3: But uh, and I.
Speaker 1: Never I came close, really close, but I never went back to be a drill instructor.
Speaker 3: I never. You know, it's really something I wanted to do. That's like a perfect marine right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's there's absolutely value. And I mean you're you're making the next generation. It's it's super important. But it's just really wasn't. It wasn't for me. I'm not much of a screamer, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you'd have to, you'd have to. It's constant. But I mean, you know, the running and just the complete rigorous torture on your body. You know, to be a drill instructor has got to be just in its own just like your reek, just like going through Marsk and everything he did. You guys have to just consistently be badass. You can't catch it fault. It takes.
Speaker 1: It takes its toll, you know, but you can. All you can do is keep after it, right, you know.
Speaker 3: Keep well. You got lucky because you were able to cross into it, right. So we have a lot of veterans that I don't know, maybe there's like just like a stigma out there, like how do I transition from military civilian life? You know, I don't know if it's something that is more said than is actual. You know, I have been reached out by people through media and like, hey, how do you get into podcasting? You know, I'm interested in that, or how do I write a book? What's your take on the transition from I mean, you went into the same kind of gig, right.
Speaker 1: So I always tell and I do a lot of coaching, you know, like performance coaching, personal coaching, and talk with a lot of guys who are getting out and it's I mean, it's a pretty real thing. You know, if you've spent your life in the military now getting out at you know, you're kind of the big cock on the walk. You know, you're you know, a master and master guns or whatever your rank is, and now you're getting ready to go into an absolutely unknown world, you know, whether that's back to school, which I you know I did, is like a forty year you know, forty some year old man kind of scared to death, you know, going to school with college kids right to you know, going out into a real that we call it the real world. But you know, a job market and trying to get a job, and there's just it's it's challenging. I skipped a lot of that because I never really left. I'm starting to think about, you know, actually going into the real world one of these one of these days, I just got to figure out what I'm gonna do when I grow up, what I grow up?
Speaker 3: Yes, I love it. Uh.
Speaker 1: The The thing I think for you know, veterans to realize people that are getting out is that, I mean, you bring a lot to the table. You know, you've there's so much that you've seen and done that that will be value added, you know, any sort of organization. I but I generally tell people that's don't rush into anything, you know, don't It's a little bit different than it was on our parents' time, you know, you kind of My dad was in the Navy for a couple of years during Vietnam.
Speaker 3: Got out.
Speaker 1: You know, you work at a job until you die, basically, you know, that's that's not the way the world works anymore. I mean, people, you know, take a job, you know, until you find something else. You know, they kind of work to live, not live to work, hopefully, and I think that's a good way of looking at it. But there's absolutely a lot of opportunities and I think it's not something that veterans immediately think of, but uh, you know in writing and creative spaces, right, even if it's not something that you make your living at because I'm I'm not gonna, I don't have all this because of the book, right, It's that book's not gonna It might put a couple of meals on the table, but it's it's not going to allow me to retire. But I think there's a huge benefit and kind of veterans getting out and exploring those things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent, you know, and maybe taking advantage of the benefits that they have after they get out of like their VA home loan or like using you know the other benefits that are if they filed up for their GI bill in basic or whatnot, how to take it out and I forgot about it. Hey, go take advantage of your school. Just get a c Okay, it's make sure you get ces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's changed so that you don't even have to do that. Everybody is blanketed the GI bill is really that's the best. So I did when I was in boot camp, we had to sign up, and we were you know, deducted one hundred dollars a month for a year. And along the way, the uh they you know, after post nine eleven, they did away with that, and so I was I was able to and I was not a I mean I was on the first thing smoking a book camp, right I had. I was not a student. I didn't really like Uh, I didn't like school. But you know, as I went through the Marine Corps, I realized that, you know, education is is super valuable. One thing I've always loved to read. All right, So like you guys book club, I think is a is an absolutely great thing. But you know, before I retired, I was able to finish a bachelor's degree online, all online and homeland security. So my intent was to get out and become a security consultant. That didn't didn't pan out, and but I was able to use the GI bill to I went back to college. Like I said, I got a master's in in literature or liberal arts focus in literature. And that really kind of got me, you know, got me thinking that, hey, you know, I really like writing. Uh, I should give this a whirl. So I went back got another master of fine Arts and and creative writing from the University of North Carol Carolina here in Wilmington. And that's you know, that just opened all these doors. You know, you spend time around writers, you get opportunities for write. So I'm you know, I can't talk highly enough about you know, educating yourself. You know, if you're a veteran or even if you're you know, a young, younger person that wants to join the military.
Speaker 3: I mean, the.
Speaker 1: Smarter you are, the more value added.
Speaker 3: You're going to be.
Speaker 1: So you know, you just even if it's doing nothing more than just reading books, but you know, getting getting college in.
Speaker 3: And now for.
Speaker 1: The folks that you have the GI bill, they can they have the opportunity to pass it on to their kids so their kids can go to school if they don't use it. And it's it's a pretty phenomenal benefit. I mean, while I was going you you also get a living stipend, so you get your college paid for. You get this eight hundred nine hundred bucks a month just to live on. So potentially it's I mean, it would not be challenging for somebody getting out after four years to say, hey, I'm.
Speaker 3: Not going to man I'm going to go to school benefits. Yeah, such a good benefit. It's huge, it's huge, you know, I'm so many people don't take advantage you have it nice. Yeah, it's phenomenal. My eighteen year old daughters like that, I want to go to Arizona State and I'm like, but we live in Utah. Yeah, out of state. Yeah, the double surprise. Yeah, I'm like, but we live here. We got the University of Utah.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm like, she's like, but Arizona State, that's got the sun. And I'm like, look, whatever you need. But again, you know, if she wanted to join like the Navy or the whatever branch she decided on, and she put in four years, her school would be you know, yeah, you know, and that's a huge deal. Yeah, it would be paid for.
Speaker 1: I I you know, I was just reading something that you know, there's the percentage, well one, the percentage of kids, you know, high school kids today that are qualified physically to join the military is like just tanking, all right, Yeah, I mean there's just not that many that could pass.
Speaker 3: He's changed, right.
Speaker 1: But then there's also like a like fifty percent of Americans like would not encourage their children to serve in the military, and I just read this morning.
Speaker 3: There's in fact, I read it on software.
Speaker 1: I think there's you know, like thirty five percent of people in the military wouldn't recommend anybody to join the military. So there's a lot of you know, there's a lot of negativity about a lot of things. But I mean there's still some insanely amazing benefits you know, if you join whatever whatever branch kind of strikes your fancy, you know, and quite likely, like we said, there there are thousands of different jobs across the services. So you know, if you want to be a photographer, you know, we've got you know, learn learn how to do it. You know you want to be uh.
Speaker 3: I mean there's there's even like probably people who learn sound and engineering in the military. There's probably like you know, there's production.
Speaker 1: In the militarily, within the public affairs realm, there are people that I mean, there's you know, podcasts, you know that you know you might have the opportunity to do that. If not, you know, the you've got you know, the GI Bill to go to school for free and get get paid while you do it. So it's I still think, I mean, I was not I didn't grow up. I grew up in a relatively modest uh you know household. John Day was not going to college. They were pinning all their hopes on my brother, uh skateboarding.
Speaker 3: I think he was a skateboard or something or what. No.
Speaker 1: No, I lived up in the mountains of West Virginia, so we didn't even really have skateboards, right. Uh there was no sidewalks. We you know, mostly dirt roads and it's a little rough to it wasn't quite that that far out. But uh, now I never did get into get into skateboarding. But yeah, they just there weren't high hopes being held out for me, so they were pinning. You know, my smarter brother was I think the first and our our extended family to go to college. Guess just wasn't something that people did, right. You got out of school, you went to work, or you went to the military.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: But h and I still think it's a great I mean, it certainly served me very well.
Speaker 3: For for over twenty years.
Speaker 1: I had a blast almost not every day but most most every day. And just I mean I got to you know, I tell people like, I got to blow stuff up, I got to jump out of airplanes at you know, five miles in the.
Speaker 3: Sky at nighttime. I got to scuba dive, you know, shoot literally ride and tracked vehicles with team tracks on them, and like like you're wearing bump helmets and all sorts of gear. I love the gear. And let me ask you something about jumping out of a out of an airplane. Did you ever have like a close call on that. You ever have something where it was like this is my training kicked in and I barely pulled out the only time, I don't know how close it was.
Speaker 1: Like so with the free fall parachute, so you have the opportunity to with with your static line parachute, you have a reserve, but with a free fall parachute, you can cut away, cut away your primary parachute, then release your reserve. And we were doing a parachute. I know I never had to do that, but we were doing a jump and it's one of our it's rare that you get to jump from thirty thousand feet that's the amount of airspace that's required. The there's just a lot of complexities that go into that. But we were up in the desert. We were doing a jump nighttime, thirty thousand foot and in order to do that, you've got to have an oxygen mask on, and see you're breathing oxygen. I jumped out and you count, I think to six, all right, to just kind of let yourself get stable, and then you pull. And you know, with thirty thousand feet, it's probably like one hundred and sixty below zero with windshill and.
Speaker 3: Everything that's going on.
Speaker 1: So you've got big, big honking sued on big gloves, and with my big glove I had, when I pulled my ripcord, I also pulled the oxygen hose out, and I didn't realize it until I started getting you know, the whole world started kind of turning black, and so I realized that, hey, there's you know, I'm trying to figure it out, and there was nothing that I could do, like I'm going to pass out. But I had a parachute open, so that's.
Speaker 3: A good thing.
Speaker 1: So I come on the radio and I try to like just let everybody know because everybody has their parachutes open, and we're going this way and with from that height, we were planning to land about forty miles from where we jumped out. Wow, so we're just like screaming across the desert. I'm like, hey, guys, I'm about to pass out here. I'll figure it out. No, but that didn't come over. It was probably more of like a muffled scream or whatever. But what I tried, I tried to dump as much called dumping air, so you pull a toggle down and that makes you fall faster. But there's not enough oxygen to sustain consciousness until about twelve thousand feet. So from thirty thousand feet down to twelve thousand feet I was. I was out, and then suddenly you wake up, and it's kind of like waking up from a dream, but you realize that, hey, I'm screaming at like sixty miles an hour, you know, through the through the middle of the night sky.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And from from where I was, I was able to look back and see the lights of the airfield that we had taken off from, so I was able to turn and I just headed back to that and landed.
Speaker 3: Didn't quite make it, but landed.
Speaker 1: Luckily. They still had payphones back then, and so I had some change, so I went and threw some money in the payphone, called the base and they the first time they hung up on me. They're like, hey, we're having an emergency, and.
Speaker 3: They hung up.
Speaker 1: Second yeah, the second time, I'm like, hey, man, I'm the emergency and they're like, so.
Speaker 3: Uh, what's the code word? I'm the emergency?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess so. But they're like, all right, we'll just hang out. We'll come and get you later. So I went down walked down the street to a bar. Uh, had a beer and uh usually.
Speaker 4: Tom Cruise, did you see this last movie of his where he is trying to go like mock.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, similarly yeah, yeah, pretty similar thing to that, Get cut a cup of coffee.
Speaker 3: You're like just totally normal. I'll looking at you like.
Speaker 4: Uh, I love that You're badass, bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was just that was just close. Uh. I think that was the closest call that I've had.
Speaker 3: Oh that was Top Gun, the movie's Top Gun. I was like, wait, what movie is that?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 3: Top Tom Cruise is showing that he's yeah, the new top Gun. Yeah, and uh he walks into his full gear into the restaurant and there was a staring at him. They must have took that from you, bro. Maybe Yeah, I don't know who. Who's there to see some residual from there. Let's put it a call to CIA real quick here. Yeah, I should get some royalties or something made. I'll tell you what. Wow, Wow, you're the real version.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit different. I mean, I I it was all my fault. I shouldn't have you know, pulled out your road.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that was.
Speaker 1: The mistake I made there. But it, like I said, with big gloves on, it's it's it's not impossible to do. So they've they've sent changed the way that the system is set up to make that a little more difficult. I'm not the first guy who's done it, who's popped that off, and the hopefully yeah, hopefully the last.
Speaker 3: That's the last thing you need to deal with when you're flying so high altitude low opening halo or were you high altitude high?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah, high altitude high opening. So we jumped already, huh we're yeah, we were open and luckily, you know, if if I had not had a parachute open, then then that would have been a much different story. But so, I mean, I had a good parachute. It was just a matter of passing out and coming to when the air came back.
Speaker 3: Have you ever done that into the water, Like have you ever hayhoed into water? And like, uh, you know, I don't know, maybe I'm thinking Navy seals Charlie Sheen and those guys like not into a dive.
Speaker 1: We've jumped into the water, which is which is cool. The thing that's always kind of scary about that is that, you know, a parachute falls on top of you, you know, in the in the middle of the ocean, and it's just there's a whole lot of lines running from that. So that's whenever we do those, we'll do some you know practices in the swimming pool, you know, and just there's a lot of potential for, you know, for things to go go wrong.
Speaker 3: So, you know, my dad told me a story one time with guys that were like in Pensacola, Florida, I think is what he said. Somewhere in Florida, and they were doing some high altitude, low opening jumps whatnot. Maybe it was just regular shoots, but they would release over the water out of their shoot and one guy just was like one hundred feet up I'm not sure how far out, and like kind of hurt him. But you know, these guys are always trying to pop a little higher than the other to land in the water.
Speaker 1: Is that something that Yeah, So when you are jumping into the water, you start as you know, as you are stable and you're you're coming down, you know, you start preparing to get out of your parachute, so you'll take off the the chest strap and you know kind of set yourself in the into the harness and kind of you're ready to go, so that as soon as you hit the water, and it's it's very difficult to judge, you know, when you're when you're above the water. So that's that's the reason that they they don't want you popping out too early. But as soon as your feet hit the water, you're really being held on by your leg straps, so that's the last thing you pop and hopefully arch out of it, and the wind generally will carry the parachute away from you because you land into the wind. So so it's, uh, it's in a perfect world. It's it's a lot of fun. There's just always always the potential in the world. Who is seldom perfect.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, and then you're definitely and just yeah, you're like, oh wait, am I one hundred feet or forty five feet? Yeah, you know, it's like a little far, a little far. Yeah that was. That was in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, things were I'm sure a little uh, I was. I was in the Marine Corps well late eighties, but you know, I didn't start doing this stuff until and then then, So I think, you know.
Speaker 3: So you already get fifty? Are you in your five o's? I am, Yeah, I'm fifty four. Fifty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems really old, right, I don't feel it, so.
Speaker 3: No, you don't seem it. Yeah, I don't get that from you. I'm forty six. And so I just was like, you know, you're a seventies child, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was born in sixty nine, right, sixty nine. Yeah, I know that Vietnam was raging.
Speaker 3: Yeah, holy cow, seventy seven here, Yeah, okay, so that makes total sense. No, I think you're great. I think you're I'm so happy that you are on the show, and I hope my listeners have been getting just awesome stories and listening to your vibe. Dude, you're a badass bro right on. I know that Tough, Rugged Bastards takes a lot more than just writing the thoughts of that book out onto page. I know there was probably things in there that were real serious that just you know, are hard to deal with, and you put it on paper. Do you have anything that you want to talk about that was just like kind of tough that you put in there.
Speaker 1: So the whole book started. The idea for it really, at least at a like a kernel of the idea started when I went back to college or went to college, right, and uh, we had to write an essay of something that happened to us, and I was it was it was luckily I got it out of the way first. But it was the first essay I wrote that really started the you know, became the seed for the book talks about Uh. I think of him as a kid, but he was he was an adult. But he was a guy that I shot in uh that Joff Iraq with a sniper rifle, and you know, looking at him, I you know, I especially you know obviously it's like Matthew McConaughey, right, the older and I keep getting older, but he stays the same age. Uh So, so I, you know, I wrote this essay called death Letter, and it was kind of it was like written to him, and that was really you know, and I wrote that the professors were like, you know, dug it. You know, They're like, man, this is really honest, and and I was like, you know what I mean, maybe there is something. Maybe I've got something to say, and I've got the ability to say it in a way that you know, people would like to listen to. So I took that, you know, I submitted it to I think I wound up submitting it to I was a one hundred percent sure when I sent it off that you know, they were going to like write me a big check and publish it and something. And first place didn't, the second place. Finally we got to like the twentieth, like two years of submitting and I finally got it, got it published. And that was the first thing like that that I'd had published. So but you know, as soon as it does, you know, you go from being down and dumps to being on cloud nine to see in your.
Speaker 3: Name and things that you wrote, you know, in pages.
Speaker 1: So that kind of sat with me, and it took a little while, and I had some fortunate just meeting people that encouraged me to write, and you know, the the fact that I was, you know, one of the guys in this very small unit was I felt like a story that should be told. So it's not it's not a history, you know so much. I mean, it's you know, called a memoir. You know, it's I mean, it's my story, my recollections. I mean, some of it, I think, uh, I mean, there's obviously a lot of an interesting time in history for anybody.
Speaker 3: There's an interesting time, and.
Speaker 1: Certainly a Marine Corps history, special operations history, but there's also just a you know, it's just from my perspective, you know, Hey, here's how I felt when this was happening. So some of it was tough to write, and you know that one in particular. But since then, you know, I've had the opportunity with with several different groups, the Lethal Mince Journal, the Dead Reckoning Collective, and these different veterans writing groups. You know, had the opportunity to work with with veterans and writing, you know, get their stories on paper. And I think it's hugely valuable. You know, if if nothing else, it never sees a light of day, if nobody ever reads it, you know, taking you kind of get it out of your head and and process it all right, And I think it's you know, I think if there's any sort of you know, whether it's a traumatic thing. I think there's absolute value in that, right and putting on paper and it processes. It doesn't have to live in your head anymore. It can live, you know, on a piece of paper that's shoved in the desk or burned or whatever. But I mean there's also just the simple fact that you know, whether they're you know, Savilians of any sort, but particularly people who were interested in the military, people who you know, especially people interested in wargames and anything like that. You know, it's just the idea that hey, I can you know, read you know what this what was going through this guy's head. And my goal was to you know, I grew up reading Vietnam books. You know, there's just tons of them, right, and then the GAT books you know that I've read a lot of them are very much just kind of, Hey, I'm going to write an action packed book and I'm gonna h you know, I call it for I'm certainly not poking, you know, throwing rocks at anybody. But a lot of them aren't necessarily you know, they don't go into the fact that, hey, I was pretty fucking scared here, you know, you know, there's some honesty that that I was hoping, you know, as a guy with a Master of Fine Arts degree in writing, that I could bring a little bit of not only some craft to it, you know, look at different ways of telling stories and and hopefully keeping people engage while also being you know, true to the you know, everything that happened, and uh, you know, honorable to the guys that served with me. So but the goal I went into it with was, you know, I want to write uh. I mean, there's plenty of books for people in the military about being in the military. You know, I want to write a book that that they'll enjoy and get a kick out of. But uh, you know that somebody who's a civilian could pick up and try to get a little bit of understanding, you know, what goes on and through in the heads and hearts and minds of especially special operations. I think it's quite often misunderstood, you know, if he people think that we're just we're all a bunch.
Speaker 3: Of uh uh. I used to read these alert linebackers, right, Oh yeah, my dad would have these like books. You know, they're just books that were written a long range of conisance patrol books and these lurks. Oh yeah, and stories of lurps in Vietnam. Right, yeah, that was my bathroom material. Bro.
Speaker 1: Those are Uh, there's one you may have. He may have had Force ricon diary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's I had that. That one.
Speaker 1: There was two sineteen sixty nine and nineteen seventy. The guy that wrote that was the first Force Recon guy that Uh. I actually he wrote me a blurb. I just had the opportunity to like talk, you know, a couple hours on the phone with him. You know, I reached out to him kind of cold and like, hey, I was in you know, the first Force Recon and here's you know, my my book.
Speaker 3: Can I send you the manuscript? And uh?
Speaker 1: And that was that was so cool. So, you know, if nothing else, you know, I've got to meet some legends. Yes, another one that uh kind of through the book, John Striker Meyer, who is one of the Macvie song guys. He's written a bunch of books. You know, a great guy you know through the through this, you know, had the opportunity to meet him and become friends with him. So I've got like these legends you know that in some small way kind of emulating you know.
Speaker 3: What does that tell you about yourself?
Speaker 1: John?
Speaker 3: You have a legend on the left side and a legend on the right side. What are you in the middle there? I'm just a lucky son of a bitch. That's exactly right. And it's a it's an honor to talk to you, bro, And thanks for just being open with me and having just a casual conversation. We really have never met each other. This is something that I want my listeners to hear that you can still have normal conversations with people no matter where they come from on the waiver side, and at the end of the day, we all believe the same red blood. That's it. Hey, you guy, And so if you want to join the Marine Corps, I'm down for you to do that. If you want to join any of the military branches, give it a shot. I go talk to someone at a career center, ask him about the GI bill, ask them what benefits are available. Get that out of them. Ask them if they can work for you versus you work for them. At the career center, it's okay, but once you enlist, you work for them exactly. Now, with that said, I have had about an hour of time with our guest John today. It's been a pleasure to have someone from the United States Marine Corps on the show. I love the Marines. I think Chesty is my lord and savior and I have embraced him. I went out to Camp Pendleton and got to do war games at the Kilo two Mount facility. Wow, which yeah, which was legit. And it was nighttime and the fog was rolling in from ocean side and we had thermals. Oh being wargames. Yeah, yeah, So people are hanging out of like the makeshift mosques and all the different positions, like where's the fog coming from? We're like what, you just see him through the fog? Nothing like thermals through the fog. Okay, all the night vision was useless. Oh but that thermal man. So again, I Chesty out there and I just want to say thanks again, dude, You've been really a pleasure. And to my listener. Go check out our book club. It's soft Rep dot com Forward Slash book Club. Go check out Brandon Webb's Instagram page. Hit him up and tell them that I said to say hi on his Instagram page. Also veteran and an author who's written many novels. You know he puts it on paper. And again to my listener, the number one thing I hear from my authors and other people who I've interviewed, and I've interviewed a hundred of them is put it on paper. You're not writing anything when you're thinking about it. You're writing when you start to actually put it on paper. So if you can just take your thoughts and put it out there, and that's what I'm going to say. John did in his essay class. It took him a second. He's like, how do I get an a What am I going to do to draw these guys into my essay? Well, I'm going to tell them about how I took someone out in najaff as a sniper in the Marine Corps. And they're going to sit there and say, shit, you should submit this. Yeah, and he submitted it, and he took a lot of and as an actor and someone who auditions all the time, you gotta be okay with that. You gotta have thick skin. You just got to believe in what you want to believe in. You got to be passionate about it and say you can't tell me no because I believe in it and you don't understand it. You just move on to the next I don't know if that's my coaching and if John agrees, that's cool. Yeah, but just put it on paper. There you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I absolutely agree.
Speaker 3: Okay, well on behalf of John and Soft Breath and you the listener and the viewer. I say, all right, the rat say of peace.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to self rep Radia