Speaker 1: Hello puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, the comforting ranger station in your national puzzle Park. I'm your host, AJ Jacobs, and before we start puzzling, some breaking Puzzler news. The Puzzler podcast was nominated for a Webby Award. The Webbies are the Oscars for podcasts, but slightly more glamorous. I think I've never been. We were nominated as Best Lifestyle Podcast. Thank you to you the Puzzler listeners for getting us there. The nominations are chosen by judges, but then the listeners take over and vote on their favorite. So please, if you have ninety seconds, we would love a vote. The link is in the show notes on your handy podcast app. And now on with the show. Today's asked is the great Naghine Farsade, comedian, writer, director and host of the podcast Fake the Nation. Welcome Nageine.
Speaker 2: Hello, I'm so excited to be here, all so nervous and scared.
Speaker 1: Those are all valid emotions. I'm not going to question your emotional reality, but I think you will come away not scared. I think you will have mary. We are very gentle here at the Puzzler. So your podcast is a delight and for those who have not listened to your show, and our hearts go out to those people. Of course, how would you describe it? What's the format?
Speaker 2: Fake the Nation is just it's a three person It's me and a couple of comedians. Usually you're like journalists who know how to hang if you know what I mean, And we take three topics from politics and from culture, and we try and leave people feeling better about the news and the state of affairs in the world than they did before they started the pod. So that's one of our weekly goals.
Speaker 1: I always feel better after watching your show. And tell me about the name. How did you come up with a name Fake the Nation?
Speaker 2: I mean, in twenty sixteen, before the term fake news was born, I was watching Face the Nation on CBS and it was literally just a pun on the CBS show Face the Nation.
Speaker 1: I was like, what if it's that?
Speaker 2: But like dumb comedians, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and you were ahead of the curve on the fake front. But we also were very pro pun here of course at the Puzzler, because many of our puzzles are based on them, and in fact, we love your idea of changing one letter then the name of a news show. We loved it so much we decided to do our own version as a puzzle. Okay, So this puzzle is called Television newt which is of course one letter from television news, nothing to do with nuke Gingrich. And in this puzzle, I'm going to give you the description of a show which doesn't actually exist, but is one letter off from the title of a real news program. So are you ready for your first time?
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm looking for the title of a news program.
Speaker 1: It's one letter off egg exactly. I think you'll get it as soon as I give you this clue, and thank you for the inspiration, by the way, So this your first clue is this is a daily morning show on a conservative news network where the hosts banter about smoked salmon. They banter about smoked salmon.
Speaker 2: Is it like chum in the water chatting chum?
Speaker 1: Oh? I like the way you're going. I like that, But no, that is another fish pun. But this one is smoked salmon or you might get on a bagel. Steve Doocy and Brian Kilmeat are the co hosts, and they love to talk about.
Speaker 2: Love to talk about libtards. Whatever they do. Their pet name for is smoked salmon their pet name for liberals?
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe well, what is another name for smoked salmon? Maybe that will.
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: So locks, so locks and loaded, Locks and friends. You got it. I'm going to see you. So one letter off from.
Speaker 2: Say, Locks and Loaded is a sister show that has to do with weaponry and fish at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're shooting fish in a barrel exactly. So that's a show.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't the show you were asking about, but it is the show I wanted to answer about.
Speaker 1: And yes, and you got the chumpun so you got extra points.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 1: And now I think you've got the I didn't. I usually give an example, but we didn't have enough to give an example. So that was your example. Consider that your example. Okay, now the real ones. Okay, this is a daily show on MSNBC where the hosts go for a run before breakfast. The hosts they're a married couple, last names Scarborough and Brazinski, and they go for a run.
Speaker 2: A daily show where they go for a run.
Speaker 1: So the real show is named What's the Real Show with Scarborough and Brazinski on MSNBC.
Speaker 2: I wish Morning Joe?
Speaker 1: Is it that's it, Morning Joe. So now changing a letter. If they're going for Morning Jack, Morning Job, all right, I think you're in. I think you got it now. But I hope, I.
Speaker 2: Hope that they do change the format of their show to like a jogging. I think it would be so much more interesting to get their opinions that way.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'd like to see some politicians I don't know, Chris Christie like jogging, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I want to see more. Absolutely, let's get the politicians jogging, and then in the you know, in the Fox example, let's get them eating locks.
Speaker 1: Absolutely exactly, because.
Speaker 2: Like hot Ones, has the market quartered on eating something during an interview, and they shouldn't be the only ones. I mean, we can't just have the hot Ones monopoly.
Speaker 1: You are so right. Yes, they can get saltier and saltier locks and see if they can stand it. Exactly. I would watch that, all right. How about this HBO show. It's a weekly show hosted by a politically incorrect comedian. Yeah, and in this one he discusses current events, but with silent entertainers. All the guests are silent entertainers wearing striped shirts. So what's the real.
Speaker 2: Sea So the real show is Real Time with Bill Maher, and I believe, in a nod to a very popular format in nineteen thirties France, you are referring to real.
Speaker 1: Mime, Real Mime with Bill Maher exactly. And sometimes you do want his guests to be silent. It might be a better I know.
Speaker 2: All I want is for them to be dropped in an imaginary box sometimes really just looking for ways to get out, just really doing that object work on that box and instead of the conversation, that is really what I would rather see.
Speaker 1: Yes, sometimes they're in an ideological box. Maybe that's the link. All right, two more and then you are done. This one is an hour long weekly show and it's about math. And in this one the hosts do one subtraction problem per minute, with hosts like Leslie Stall and Steve Croft. So they do one subtraction problem per minute for an hour.
Speaker 2: Oh, Leslie Stall, it's called are you talking about sixty minutes?
Speaker 1: That's the actual show? Yeah, but then and.
Speaker 2: Then sixty minutes and then sorry, they subtract one thing an episode.
Speaker 1: No, no, one per minute, and it's an hour long show, so they do a lot. They do like three score of these subtraction problems. So there are sixty of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sixty, they're not sixty minutes subtraction.
Speaker 1: What's another subtraction? Not addition, but not plus, but.
Speaker 2: It's not sixty division doesn't work with your game sixty edition. Sixty minutes.
Speaker 1: It's got it's plus, it's got it, it's got its pluses, it's.
Speaker 2: Got it's it's got it's minuses. Minute, yes, minuses, Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Minuses, sexty minuses.
Speaker 2: Wait, you got the same thing there that minuses and minutes don't feel related in any way, but they're so related with one letter.
Speaker 1: All you're right, Yeah, they got the weird pronunciation difference. So yeah, but you got it, you got it all right.
Speaker 2: Last, I feel like by the way I feel like I play the show sixty minuses with my daughter every day. She's in kindergarten, so we're doing sixty minuses every night at home.
Speaker 1: And you're like the Leslie Stall here, and I'm yeah, absolutely, you're trying to break her down.
Speaker 2: And I say, and I sit down, very formal, and I say, with the clock ticking in the background, and I'm Leslie Stall and you're this is sixty minuses.
Speaker 1: I would watch it. Listen film that next time. Please? All right, last one. This is an ABC show airs every weekday and the hosts, Robin Roberts and Word Stephanopolis show off their bear butts. So what is that They show off their bear butts every morning? So what's the real show with your ABC's morning.
Speaker 2: It's not good Morning America.
Speaker 1: It is good morning America. You got it, you got it, So now just change one. What what's another word for showing off your bear butt? Might be when you blank someone?
Speaker 2: You you flash them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's more frontal. I feel okay, spackle, like when you pull your pants down.
Speaker 2: Paint Good pantsing America.
Speaker 1: I like that, not the sun, but the oh moon.
Speaker 2: Good mooning America.
Speaker 1: Good moaning America. You got it. There, it is mooning. I haven't heard that.
Speaker 2: I feel like again, we're pully like I would say, it's in common parlance today, the term mooning. It feels like very old to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well my wife won a mooning contest of some sort, so maybe it's more present in my mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, all those mooning contests that your wife.
Speaker 1: Gets involved in, not anymore, this was in her past. Oh gotcha? Well, thank you. Those were even worse puns than fake the Nation. Nothing wrong with fake the Nation. These made fake Nation to that, but you did fantastic. You worked through it all right. Before we wrap up, as always for the puzzlers at home, here's an extra credit puzzle. This is a PBS investigative documentary series about the first half of a golf course. The first half of a golf course. You will get the answer to that extra credit in the next episode. And please, if you like the show, then review it. We're hoping to get more reviews because it helps people find it. I learned this trick of saying that from Nigee and Farsan our guest, so thank you for the inspiration and we will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hello puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska, your chief puzzle officer, with the extra credit answer from our previous show. We played a game with Christopher Short of Geeks who Drink, and we called the game Greeks who Sink. Every answer rhymes with geeks who drink. Your extra credit clue was small fries who like to blink with one eye and those are Pipsqueaks Who Wink Come back tomorrow for another edition of the Puzzler Podcast with AJ Jacobs, also known as Pipsqueaks Who Wink,