Speaker 1: Rarely do I come across crazy facts and tell you all about them, because a lot of times I just keep them all to myself.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, a lot of crazy bats.
Speaker 1: My mom calls me a fact horder, and I just sit up in my room with the door locked and I play with all my facts. But today I'm gonna share one with you that I thought was actually pretty fascinating. So you've all heard of kryptonite from Superman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like his weakness or whatever. It's the only thing that can.
Speaker 1: Defeat him, the green glowing crystal, and when it's close to him, it saffs all of his energy and his strength. Yeah, it turns out the idea of kryptonite was invented way back when there used to be a live Superman radio show and there was one main actor who played the role of Superman, and whenever he took a vacation, he couldn't voice any lines. Kryptonite would magically show up in the story, so whoever was filling in didn't have to say anything. They could just groan in pain through the whole episode.
Speaker 2: Dude, that'd be so awesome. Then we could take more vacation.
Speaker 1: I know, we can learn a lot from these radio legends. So next week I plan to take off a little bit for a vacation, and I know we're recording this. So on Monday, you can use this. Just pop that into like a second date or something.
Speaker 2: Okay, sounds like such an old man.
Speaker 1: On Tuesday, use this one.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I.
Speaker 3: Go way up.
Speaker 1: We'll put that one in an awkward call the morning. And on Wednesday, I'm really feeling like that one was too much for me. I don't think I even make it to Friday. I know, but you're gonna have to tune in to find out.
Speaker 3: We have to come to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys have to be here, man, but I'll be off anyway. Now, I feel like we've accomplished a lot already. We're already working ahead of the next week.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to just the groans.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of our listeners are actually so good news for everybody. Let's move on to the shot collar question of the day. We have a no, I don't see a bucket.
Speaker 4: There's no bucket, Jeffrey, of course not. Hey, kids, you'll ever believe it. It snuck up on us again. It's Global Recycling Day. This international holiday was created to encourage people everywhere to look at our trash in a new light and to celebrate. We're gonna air a replay question because it's considered recycled content. I wish I'm being forced to ask a new one, but I don't feel good about doing this the environment. We're going to call it the brand new recycled, eco friendly one and done shot caller. Wow, it just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it really does. Each of you has a sheet of paper in front of you that has five words on it. Cardboard, plastic, glass, paper, and aluminum. We're gonna go around the room and I'll tell you a fact and you have to tell me which one of those materials I'm talking about. Oh and we could choose the same one more than once, so be on your toes. We're gonna start with Alexis. Originally I was gonna ask you to read the words in the sheet of paper in front of Producer BOYD said you might have a hard time sounding out the word aluminum, so we're gonna have a different question. Approximately one hundred billion of these are produced each year in North America alone, and if you can recycle one ton of it, that would save forty six gallons of oil each time. What is it?
Speaker 2: Oh? Brooke said, Oh, like you know it easily. I mean it could be oil in a different way. But like for me when I'm thinking oil, plastic needs oil to be made.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Either.
Speaker 1: One hundred billions. That's a lot. I mean there's a lot of plastic out there.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Brooke was really excited about recycling stuff, So I'm gonna go with her answer and say, plastic bottles.
Speaker 4: If you recycled one ton of this, you would save forty six gallons of oil each time. I'm talking about cardboard boxes. Why oil?
Speaker 2: Why would you save oil?
Speaker 4: I'm not a scientist, so let's move on.
Speaker 3: You broke your next Okay, it'll be fun.
Speaker 4: The person has the opportunity to recycle more than twenty five thousand of this item in their lifetime five thousand, and normally less than a quarter of that actually gets recycled. What is it?
Speaker 2: I would say aluminum cans is my first thought, and a lot of people don't recycle them. They just throw them away instead.
Speaker 1: That's like a soda every day, Not.
Speaker 2: A soda, it's like.
Speaker 3: White clay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for it. I forgot that those Yeah, okay, twenty five thousand or okay, how about this? How about glass jars. I think a lot of people don't do that, and there's tons of glass jars out there. Apple sauce wine big too.
Speaker 4: Is the.
Speaker 1: Your wine comes in jars? That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna go Aluminum cans.
Speaker 4: The average person has the opportunity to recycle twenty five thousand of these in their lifetime, but only less than a quarter actually get recycled. I'm talking about aluminum cans. Good brook is safe Jose Europe. Twenty eight billion of these going to landfills every year instead of recycling centers where they should be. It's enough to fill two Empire state buildings every three weeks. What is it?
Speaker 2: Way billion man should be recycled.
Speaker 3: Plastic is standing out to me right away because I am thinking about plastic bottles, everything from water to soda to just like containers of.
Speaker 2: Things, or what about like plastic takeout containers? Yeah, you know that's true.
Speaker 3: To the other thing I would think of is plastic straws.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's not bad.
Speaker 3: Also, the rings, I think because so many states and cities are banning plastic straws. I think it's part of this major, major problem. Sol, I'm gonna say, plastic straws.
Speaker 4: Drink twenty eight billion of these going to landfills every single year. I'm talking about glass bottles. Wow, Jose and Alexis are getting shocked. We're onto Jeff, Jeff. Two and a half million of these are thrown away every hour in North America hour and unfortunately, only twenty three percent of these are recycled, which means we could all do a much better job.
Speaker 1: What is it, oh, class two and a half million an hour hour?
Speaker 3: If it's my apartment, it's paper plates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I go through a lot of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, do you go back to Jose's thing with plastic straw like if you think of just like Starbucks, like handing out drink after drink with straws.
Speaker 1: But they've stopped using straws.
Speaker 3: Now, not a lot of them.
Speaker 1: I'm guilty.
Speaker 2: I get a strawy time I go there.
Speaker 1: Oh you do, yeah, but they are now.
Speaker 2: But dude, I got a lot of what that's what I was thinking.
Speaker 1: Plastic bags at the grocery store. Yeah, that's a.
Speaker 3: Good they give the end you a bag and your your stuff's inside with the star.
Speaker 1: I actually like that A is the best answer. I'm gonna go with two point five million plastic bags an hour.
Speaker 4: Twenty three percent of these are recycled every year, and two and a half million are thrown away every hour in North America. I'm talking about plastic bottles.
Speaker 1: Every wow, Wow, are thirsty?
Speaker 2: Give some reusable coups? Like what is going on? Well, there's so much more fashion.
Speaker 1: Forward too, So everybody is getting shocked except for Brook the recycled queens. So we're all gonna get shocked while singing wanna be by Spice Girls. If you want to be.
Speaker 3: My lover, you gotta get with my friends. Make it last forever friend jan Ever, I actually wanted the whole song.
Speaker 2: I'm sad. I was sad to shock you all.
Speaker 1: That's a shock collar question of the day. Phone taps coming up in a few minutes.