Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha, and welcome to Steffan Never Told You production of iHeartRadio. And welcome to another edition of Monday Many. This is the one I kind of hinted at during your last Monday Many about home ownership. Samantha, I will say this is a bigger conversation we should come back to because I was specifically doing me search, as we call it. I was kind of looking for gender differences in landlords and in tenants, and so that's what we're largely going to be talking about. But there is definitely racial discrimination. There's discrimination against queer people, like it's big. It's a big issue, housing discrimination in general, big issue. So this is a very kind of targeted to me being angry by my landlord. Research fair enough, and if you've listened to this show, I have discussed my issues with my landlord about how I believe he doesn't communicate, he doesn't listen to me. Necessarily. That being said, he's like not the worst landlord I've had, which I guess is not necessarily a good thing. Right, I've only had. I thought we could go over this. I've actually only lived in I've lived overseas during internships. That was usually in a hotel or some kind of host situation with the host family. I've lived in dorms. In college. I lived briefly with a very nice guy, but it was a weird situation where I was essentially living in like his guest room. But I've never been like the person except in college. But in college you have like a very easy form. You're just like, right here, please come fix this. I've never been the person that had to like know what the landlord does with all of my issues with my landlord. I'm out of my refrigerator era. Now I'm in my toilet era trying to get things fixed. I looked up like the Georgia Handbook of what can you ask for as a tenant. I'm still kind of confused, Samantha, what's been your general experience.
Speaker 2: Well, you have more rights than you think, and as long as you're not the cause of the problem, you can request things being fixed if it comes down to like issues where which By the way, that refrigerator thing, what I told you, I was like, yeah, that's you shouldn't have to pay for anything. I am very confused about the situation. I still hold to that pretty sure. He took advantage of you with that nonsense, knowing that you wouldn't fight him because it has nothing to do with any of the situation because again you're not taking half of it with you and you're not getting paid for that. So that's absurd in itself, because also buying a new appliance versus like especially if you're not being completely negligent like it's it's just absurd. So all those things, there should be a timely manner when they get things done. I think it results in the fact that in the Georgia, he can also evict you as long as he has like a reasonable time frame, not a vict you, but ask you to leave and give you any time time frame, especially if you're not on a full term lease or refuse to do that. So like those are the powers that they have. But him being this like absurd. It's just pretty much that they take advantage of your patience and unwillingness to be confrontational.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that is absolutely true. But it's also true that I for those reasons, I do not seek him out rights owned Yeah, which this research I was like, ah, I see, yes, And I know we talked about your issues with your landlord. It's such an odd relationship. It's a very strange thing. I'm thinking, I don't know about you. My accept Except for my very first two apartments, I want to say most of them have been uh privately owned landlords.
Speaker 2: And most of them are not. I don't think I've had any I've seen horror stories. I've never had a bad one, and even the last one I say was just greedy. To me. I did not have the ordeal that a lot of people do because I like not to because it's not a bragging point. But I'm an easy tenant because I'm similar to you, and like, unless it's absolutely damaged, I probably won't be contacting you. Like I think. I called him because my stove started to click and sparks, and I was like, you know what I think I need. I think I need new stove and he was like, yo, yeah you do. Why didn't you tell me? I was like, well, it's just clicking. I didn't know what clicking meant. And then it sparked, and then I was like, oh, there that is. And then there's the time I looked at the ceiling. I was like, that is water and that is spreading. Where's that coming from and having to tell him to do that my refrigerator clicking at me and hissing at me. I was like, that's not a good sounded me just like taking a video and sending it to him, be like is this the problem? Like that, that's how I want to do it. Because also I was afraid that they would think that I was just making things up if I did not have proof. So I was able to have proof of like he came over and turned it on and it clicked. The stove did and he realized, oh, and it sparked and smoked, and he was like, okay, yeah, that's a problem. Same thing. I actually had that with a ceiling where there was just a hole in no light or a fan, but or a fan and light are supposed to be it also started smoking. I was like, yeah, no, I'm not sure what's going on. But those are the times that I would contact the landlord and or like I finally had enough when he promised me something like dishwasher, and I waited two years to finally get one, hounding him enough like am I getting one? Now? What about? Now?
Speaker 1: What about now?
Speaker 2: But yeah, so for that note, all of them treated me fine. I did not have any issues in that like the battle and then I always got my deposit back, although I very was concerned. I was very concerned because I was like, they're going to try to take my money. None of them did. None of them does. In my head though all landlords are bastards. And I say this, and like the horror story lies, and you know, there's and there's some things to be said about like, yes, owning things is not a bad thing giving, but like taking advantage of people, this is what's the problem. And we know unfortunately, even if you're not taking, you are, like that's what was happening towards the end of my rent, was like there's no need. There was no change here except for yes, your text did go up a little bit, but you're also not paying and not that you don't deserve to make a profit, but I know you don't need to make a forty percent profit, Like that's absurd per home, Like it just seemed unreasonable, especially for the fact that we had no upgrades. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's interesting that you bring up the point that it sounds similar to me about how a lot of women, including myself, including you, I believe approach like going to the doctor, where it's like I have to have absolutely right proof this is wrong. It's right, something is really bad, because otherwise I think you won't believe me, or you'll be like okay.
Speaker 2: Which has been true. They don't exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: We'll get into that more in a second Man My toilet Drama. Oh my god. Well, I do think we should come back and do a whole episode on this, but I did briefly want to talk about like the origin of the Landlord. There's a lot of different stories about it. One of the main ones is that it goes back to the fourteen hundreds and it basically meant what it sounds like. There's like somebody who owned a lot of land. He owned it was usually he, of course, of course almost always he, that he would rent it out to tenants and then could really control aspects of the tenants' lives because of that, and there were some good experiences and really really bad experiences. Over time, it evolved to sort of mean like innkeeper, even though they didn't necessarily own an inn. But and then there's a lot of like rent acts and laws that came out of that. So it's got a long history but essentially it's like from this meaning of somebody who owned enough that they're like, I'll let you stay here. But in the original it was meant to you work here though, like you also work here.
Speaker 2: So is it based out of the British colonies type of thing.
Speaker 1: That's what I thought, and that's what a lot of sources say, but I found I think there's a lot of different instances of a very similar thing. But that is a big one is kind of this like we own enough land, you will work on it, but you can stay on the land.
Speaker 2: Because I know in UK, I guess the royals own all of the land. People just own the house, right.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but that wouldn't surprise me. I ran into a lot of stuff like that when I was in Australia, where I was like, wait, what yeah, so listeners let us, but yeah, we should come back and through a bigger deep dive into this anyway, That's essentially where it stemshrim is that you don't own this land, but somebody is letting you stay on it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But the original question I asked was I wanted to know more about the gender differences of landlords. And there's a pretty good breakdown of it from Zipia. There's actually they have a breakdown on all kinds of things about landlords. So according to them, forty four point three percent of landlords are women in fifty five point seven percent are men. This is pretty more. This is closer to even than it was even within the past decade, like at one point women were only thirty percent, so that's been a shift. Women earned ninety one cents for every one dollar earned by men, which given other gender gaps wage gaps, that's not so bad. The income for men is forty seven seventy six dollars and for women it's forty and forty three dollars. Notably sixty four point five percent white. But I didn't find as much as I thought I would about that. What I did find, as I mentioned in your Monday Mini, is landlords being choosy about their tenants based on things like gender. So here are some quotes from this survey, which again they knew this was happening, they knew it would be published. These are some things they said. One landlord told the survey that he prefers mail renters men make better tenants. They say they can usually change light bulbs they know how the central heating works, and they're more likely to carry out minor repairs than women. They went on to explain their preference further, men are more easy going, they take care of the small things. Generally, they just want a roof over their heads. However, another landlord, and this is continued quote, would rather have a female tenant, they said. On average, females are tidier, which means less maintenance. Females also seem to like their outside space being picturesque and generally do more in the gardens, such as cutting the lawn and keeping it tidy. Females are also more in control of finances than males. I find I get on time payments from female tenants, and they are also more likely to stay put.
Speaker 2: That's a true story.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Davis, who is a landlord himself, explained his preference. Both genders have their pros and cons, but ideally I prefer couples as tenants. You often find one is good at keeping things clean and tidy, and the other is good at sorting out the little things. Also, couples tend to be the best long term tenants, particularly if they have a child. I just tend to avoid sharers in favor of couples. Interesting hmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, so is that a heteronormative couple like us, like hes couple?
Speaker 1: Yes, because because the quote, yeah, well I did include it, but the quote goes further on where they're definitely saying like they're going back to the original. They're saying like the man can do the screw in the light bulb and the woman will clean.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: You know what. I did have trouble screwing in my light bulb, but it's only because I can't reach. It's trying to buy a ladder, but I bought the ladder.
Speaker 2: I have yet to meet one. And I've got many women, friends, lay friends, awesome friends that did not change their own light bulb. That is the most absurd statement I've heard in a while, unless it's like, hey, I'm gonna get killed because this your electrical wiring is so bad? Yes, aka smoking. Yes.
Speaker 1: And here's the thing, like, as you said in your episode about home ownership, unless I'm specifically trying to make a point, I don't want to deal with you, man, right, I'm really happy I can fix this. I don't want to deal with it. Thank you. Leave wow, Yes, leave me be and to that point, I've also told this story before where one time my landlord just tried to come in. It was Sunday at eleven, it was Halloween weekends. I had a friend. We were in our pajamas and he just tried open the door and I had the chain on it and he couldn't get in. But he didn't announce he was coming. Nothing like that. Turns out I am not alone in that at all. I found this was from a university newspaper and it was about safety when it comes to landlords, and here's a couple of quotes from him. We said that it was really important to us that he told us when he was going to be coming over because we are three young women or women adjacent. Peep, it's not appropriate for my fifty year old male landlord to be over unannounced, Lee, a sophomore, said, Although he agreed, Lee's landlord entered their home unannounced on multiple occasions. They noted times when their landlord would unlock the door and come into their house without knocking or giving notice. He did not allow for curtains despite the home's large windows. Lee even found him walking around the property with the ability to see through the windows.
Speaker 2: Uh uh.
Speaker 1: Now, I think there's a strange thing that happens with some landlords where they just see it so much as their property that that doesn't matter to them, right, Like they can just come in. They can tell you can't have curtains, like.
Speaker 2: Which is actually I don't know about the curtains would but the whole like just entering that's illegal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I can't imagine in what world you think that that's okay.
Speaker 2: I think it's like emergency situations only. Yeah, which if it's that bad, you need to victim, Like if you have that type of like emergency, think that there's something bad happening and the fairy is happening in your home, or if you're just being an act or a pervert.
Speaker 1: Right right, or if you think they're dead maybe, But that's a whole different thing.
Speaker 2: It's a different I think this is where like having a dog, it's not a bad thing, it's my dog hated my landlord.
Speaker 1: Some people said that, yeah, they brought up having these protections for the landlord. It's just such a like the power dynamic is very difficult because as you said, like you know, a landlord could kick you out at any time, and then you're without a place. In theory, they give you this period legally guaranteed period, but even that, I mean, that's difficult. So you're put in a situation where you really don't feel like you can voice things or complain too much, or they'll just kick you out.
Speaker 2: Right, okay, like unreasonably raising your rent to kick you out.
Speaker 1: And I do find it interesting the whole point about like wanting a couple, because my building has nine I believe it's nine apartments in it, and they're they're like not small, but they're not big, and there are most people are couples in here, and I'm just like, how do you live? I mean, I guess, I guess. Sure again, I'm very lucky. It's not like it's tiny, but it's if y'all had two people in here all the time, right, I don't know. And the fact that it's very clearly like, oh, you're a more stable couple because you're not gay. It's just odd. I can't imagine having kids in here. Oh my gosh, I that too, I know, I just I can't imagine it. And there's a lot of like this is a privately owned building, it has a lot of quirks, A lot of them I really like. But it is one of those buildings that like I have to give you know, oh this the door won't close all the way here, and if you need to do that, like you know, kind of race.
Speaker 2: The tricky things. Yeah, but then do this.
Speaker 1: But just an old building, I get it, that's okay, But I just imagining like a kid in here. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. The partment that I lived in was like a quadplex and it is old, old, well love it, like I think pre I think in a world World War one era type of thing. Was brick and had giant like nice little patios or or porches, and it was super cute. It had a lot of personality, has a lot of history. Like some of the you know, fewer ones that I have still remained, but like I had when I first moved in, they were just renovating all the buildings and the area was up and coming, but still kind of, you know, not the greatest in some certain parts, as it always goes with gentrification. And then but one couple lived in the home and they were very sweet. They were very nice to me. However, they did have like at first they had a toddler, and it was just the in it. They were a lesbian couple and they were sweet, and they had the baby and she was wonderful. The little girl was the cutest in the world. Didn't really hear much of them. Everything was fine, and I could I was like, still wow, having a child, but toddler reasonable. Then they had uh one of the women's daughters move in who also had two kids. So they had another couple. And this is like technically a two but it's not, y'all. It's like a bedroom and then maybe an office and then a very small bathroom with no washer, dryer anywhere. I think this one had a dishrushers, was the first one to have a dishrusher. But they had a five year old six year old, a lot of energy, a lot of energy. And also the where their house is, it does have a small yard, and the back does have a small yard. But the amount of fleas and because we had like wild cats roaming everywhere, the amount of fleas and bugs, like I couldn't go out back there without getting eaten up, like it was bad. Peaches would get my dog would get fleas every time. And it was just a whole mess, and like so the kids were not really getting any play, but you could hear them running in their house up and down, up and down so loudly that it was almost comical. I will say, respect that ten o'clock get stopped, but the amount of noise that was happening. Like I would come downstairs and there was nothing bad going on, but like the kid was trapped in between because we had like the security door and then the actual door. The kid was drafted in between. When I walked down then I was like, what's happened, what's happening? What is happening? And it's no like shade to the parents. It literally it was like in my head, I'm like, they have no place to play. This is such a small place that the fact that you had three kids here and like they're losing it because they do not have anywhere to lose it like get their energy and under that. One of them ended up going to like day care and she was fine, but it was just like wow, but having that kind of space and being in that kind of small space where there's nothing soundpre of you here, everything and that I did, I did hear everything, but like having that just reverberated through the house, But in my head, I'm like, man, and unfortunately, like the other neighbors were not happy about this and would like they got into like arguments about this and there's nothing to be helped. But I was like, yeah, I don't understand how this works. This can't be ideal. And granted, I know like that they in their mind, the landlords were probably thinking just that mid you know, couple who just got married with new kids or like youngest kids, where everything is ideal, and You're like, that's not Are you sure, because I don't think that's how that. It's not gonna be as pretty as you think it is, especially in like I'm not taking care of the front yard if I'm having to take care of kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. That quote was strange. I was like women doing that, that's like kind of against stereotype. All right, the gardening, yes, but they're.
Speaker 2: Like loading gardening in their own home right right, Like I've had ideas about like, oh, I'm going to make this this way, but because the landlords haven't done half of what they needed to, like literally haven't mowed the grass in three weeks, why would I try to make it pretty m M.
Speaker 1: This is your responsibility, right, yep. Yeah, it sounds like there's a lot of a lot of disagreement about, you know, what they should do, but also them just trying to skirt the what they can get away with.
Speaker 2: Right, the least that they have to do to get their money. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The power again, that power dynamic of like, well I wanted this place to live, so oh yeah, Well we'll definitely come back to this one because it is a big conversation right now, just living spaces in general, but also just living but renting that whole situation. So listeners, if you have any thoughts about that or anything you in particular would like to hear us talk about, you can email us at Stephanie Momstuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast, or in Instagram and TikTok at stuff One Never Told You. We have a tea public story, and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks as always too, our super producer Christina, executive producer Maya, and our contributor Joey. Thank you and thanks to you for listening. Stuff I Never Told You is production by Heart Radio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio. You can check out the heart radio app, Apple podcasts, wherever you listen to your favorite shows.