Speaker 1: The Around the NFL podcast. It's a total eclipse on our hearts Kill.
Speaker 2: Me from the Chris Westland podcast studio. It's around the NFL.
Speaker 1: I'm Dad, hands us back from vacation.
Speaker 2: Got heroes here, Greg Roseenthal and Mark Sessler. Yes, we just did see the eclipse, or did we?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I looked up at the at the sun directly from you mustn't Mark. Yeah, but let's say your eyes are like your eyeballs will be singed and burned out.
Speaker 4: That's not the case as far as I know.
Speaker 1: Right see where we are, Oh, you are bleeding from the cornea.
Speaker 4: Other than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Otherwise, fine.
Speaker 5: Dan motivated us to go. We we sort of missed the peak of it, but we were about to start taping. It was time, so we went up there, and unfortunately we realized it's possible to be in a group of thirty five NFL media employees and we didn't know anyone.
Speaker 1: To ask for their glasses problem. So I went I I was a little ahead of you, guys. I made a straight B line looking for literally one person I knew here.
Speaker 3: Well, I like the conduct that in a dangerous visual setting, we would just take other people's glasses. Well, just ask for them, you don't need them with Well.
Speaker 2: Yes, the three of us back together for the first time and what well over two and a half weeks. Yeah, so we are also closing in on the draft. We are taping April eighth. The draft is April twenty fifth.
Speaker 1: I can't get you. And it's just a simple shit seventeen days away.
Speaker 2: Masterful, right, masterful numbers work by you. My eyes actually are bothering you right now. I'm seeing seeing some splotchiness. I did do a look up, did not have the three D glasses because I didn't know anybody. But like first day of school, today's episode special one. It's an annual tradition on around the NFL free agency, and it was a very strange free agency this year, or maybe it's the new normal. Well, we'll have to see, but very aggressive teams are more aggressive this year. They got going earlier players that usually or the types of players are in some cases individuals.
Speaker 1: Jadavin Clowney is a perfect example.
Speaker 2: Instead of lingering on the market into late summer, got scooped up in the first week or so free agency.
Speaker 5: The first time he signed a multi year contract since his rookie contract.
Speaker 1: That is a fact.
Speaker 2: So just like the way the machine worked was different this year, so the annual Graybeards exercise, which is pulling together the best roster of thirty and over talent. There's been a depreciation of talent in the pool. We're also doing a week later. Although how many names came off the market last seven days, not a ton, but different different.
Speaker 5: Things that iowe Vanoy is the only one we might have lost. That's it early it.
Speaker 2: But coming up a little later, we're going to put together that Graybeard's team and also just back in on in general notable names still on the market who can make your team better.
Speaker 3: And this is the first time that you've allowed, Greg and I wouldn't use the word allowed, although it like that we are part of the process that we're pitching.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, this is going to be a collaborative effort this year. We'll see how it goes.
Speaker 3: I see what you're doing though, because it's it's going to be potentially, but the names that are out there, it's gonna be one of the most challenging seasons ever for the gray Beards.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah it and looked at this list of players, said I need help.
Speaker 3: Let's get Greg and Mark involved so we can point some fingers when the other.
Speaker 2: The assumption that when I was in Maui, I looked at the list and I was like, oh, it's a little tougher this year.
Speaker 4: I'm going to call in some help. That's exactly what I think you did.
Speaker 1: That would be way too much credit. It's actually a compliment idea that marks you're this.
Speaker 2: I did not look at it beforehand, but I just thought this would be a good time to mix things up and see how goes and if the team like last year's team I predicted six and eleven they went for in thirteen. We'll see what this, where this team comes down, and where we go moving forward as a group or me again as an individual, we will see.
Speaker 1: But before that, let's do some news.
Speaker 4: Well, Marvin Lewis is an idiot.
Speaker 1: Before I went away on vacation, that's it all sound drop.
Speaker 2: Yes, while you were in Hawaii, Greg, And by the way, what a state, great state?
Speaker 1: Where is in the top fifty? I mean, I mean it was the last one to come in.
Speaker 5: I believes it after Alaska.
Speaker 1: I believe it was at the right time.
Speaker 2: It came about icebox up there in Alaska pass streets, and number one there was the states actually are Alaskan listeners, I apologize.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't have much to do like they would cling to a podcast in certain parts of the year. Weatherwise more than beautiful other forty nine states.
Speaker 1: Beautiful in terms of beautiful in terms of nature.
Speaker 2: Up in Alaska, we got the pipeline, so we got some guap coming out of there. Also, territory wise close to Russia from a military.
Speaker 5: Perspective, Yeah, he'd be very valuable, right, Yes, Sarah Palin famously here long, you know, looked out at me.
Speaker 1: See Russia from her right yard. But Hawaii, Yeah, I don't. That's all I'm gonna say.
Speaker 3: Mark, Well, I'm glad the two of you enjoyed your lush getaways.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to this.
Speaker 2: Oh but what I was gonna say was, before I went.
Speaker 1: On my vacation, we ended our podcast with Connor Or after a very eventful week for the Around the NFL podcast with a Mark Sessler top ten drops, and I was many people reached out to me angry that that.
Speaker 4: Drop, Well, Marvin Lewis is an idiot.
Speaker 2: Was excluded, and I just want everyone to know that was an oversight by the board. I obviously would have had that very near the top had I realized it, but we didn't have it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean quickly, like that came off a mailback questush, and that came in just hours before the show, and you did it from another angle. A lot of work to compile what you did.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: That is one of my more favorite self drops. So I will say there was a time that Marvin Lewis was actually in our green room. He was sort of being dipped into the network. Yeah, rounds a little and I don't know, it got a little uncomfortable after. I would assume he'd never heard that in his life, except you never know how these things filter up.
Speaker 4: And he just gave me a weird look, and I kind of was.
Speaker 1: Like, I feel like it's safe to say he was I do not know about it.
Speaker 3: Wait, yeah, but I don't. I'm not walking around thinking he knew. It's just there was a weird interaction to beginning.
Speaker 5: He is back in the league, he's an assistant head coach of the Raiders.
Speaker 1: How about that that ends.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's move into the news, and let's start with Yes, the big news that broke late last week.
Speaker 1: I was vaguely tracking it from a bungalow.
Speaker 2: Stephan Diggs got traded, not really a surprise, but still huge news in the NFL when Diggs gets moved to of course the Houston Texans, and we have a little more details that have come out around the trade, which of course went for a twenty twenty five second round pick via the Vikings four Digs, a six round pick of twenty four and a fifth rounder in twenty five. So after the trade Houston, GREGI does some business with Digs. They give him a raise, a flat, a straight up raise. His previous base salary went from eighteen to twenty two and a half million in guaranteed money. And importantly for Diggs, they also voided the final three years of his contract, which we're going to cover twenty five to twenty six twenty seven. So he is now on essentially a proven deal at age thirty in a new environment, making a little bit more money. So as far as fresh starts go for Stefan Diggs and considering the quarterbacks with this sets up pretty well for him and really both sides, because I know you guys already talked about this but there's a non zero chance that Digs isn't a big time player anymore, and the Texans in that case would probably want out after one year.
Speaker 1: That's the whole setup here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of people had their takes on the Digs trade, and we spent a lot of time talking about it, and then this news comes out a couple days later, and people adjusted their takes that it wasn't as good a move for the Texans, that it's essentially a one year deal, and I pushed back on that because yes, he had a few years left on his contract before, but if he had played at a level that they hope to get out of him this year, he would have been wanting more money right away because his base salaries were very low, and it would have became a whole thing between the two sides, and they're trying to avoid that. So I don't think it dramatically changes the move that much. I liked it before, I still like it now, And there's very different thing in that. The ESPN headline to it was we'll let him get to free agency, but that's not true.
Speaker 1: They have the franchise tag.
Speaker 5: They also have exclusive negotiating rights from basically now until next free agency, and that's a totally different situation than all the other teams. So if he does play well, they'll find a way to pay him, and if they don't, they'll franchise tag him.
Speaker 1: And a lot of angry Bills fans.
Speaker 5: Are like in my mentions, being like, well, how do you He's not gonna be happy if they franchise Tag. It's just why are you worried about all this stuff that is going to happen. If it's a good outcome for the Textans, they'll figure it out, and if he doesn't work out, then he will be.
Speaker 3: If Yeah, we mentioned at the tail end of that conversation that this very well could have been a one year right situation for Houston, And from that angle, like the money aside, way, don't worry about the money. They've got the money they can pay him. They can frontload it all to this season and then see where they are yere from now. Because what I think a bad team does is turns around and gives Stefan Diggs a ton more money when we don't know what kind of player is right now. It's a perfect fit for one season for a team that is you know, kicked open their Super Bowl window, right, and if.
Speaker 2: He does kind of get the magic back and has a huge year with a great young quarterback, I would not even think about tagging the men and sitting on that tag because you're gonna end up with an unhappy wide receiver, which has been the case in multiple.
Speaker 1: Spots for him.
Speaker 2: But that's for that's best case scenario situation, because if you're going to want to put the tag out and that meant he was the star that they think they're getting. By the way, speaking of money, Diggs has a lot of money. He's had a fantastic career big time receiver, so he could do things like paying new teammate Jimmy Ward the safety one hundred grand to get the number one jersey. So he moves from number fourteen his whole NFL career to number one, which he wore in college, and Ward goes back to number twenty, which he already had previously worn at the Niners. So a cool hundred gs mark get you any number you want.
Speaker 3: I wish that in the in the world that we work in the media, you know, circle that we had numbers and someone like some big shot could be hired by this place and like, oh, Mark, I want to take your number.
Speaker 4: Let me give you two hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: This little inside Baseball for this particular studio, the Chris Westling podcast studio. But famously you struggle with the recording box that we plug our jacks into our headsets in. Say yeah it. It has been an ongoing source of tension. Uh since we moved here. How much would you pay let's say Greg for his box so you would switch boxes and never have to worry about that again?
Speaker 1: Would you not even a cent? Oh? Really no, but you talk so much about it. Yeah, but I'm giving you a take it out because then that's then Mark sneaky cheap.
Speaker 3: No, then then it takes the onus off of management to correct the soundbox. I'm still trying to, you know, strong arm them into, you know, paying attention to the situation.
Speaker 2: My grandfather, Paul hansis Elk of the year eighty nine to ninety in a Pearl River, big deal. He you know, basically, the Elks are like many other what do you call those places?
Speaker 3: Well, it's like social clubs, social clubs veterans typically an Elks club with typically and.
Speaker 1: My grandfather was a World War Two.
Speaker 2: Veteran, and and we would occasionally because my dad and my brother are my uncle, my father's brother uncle ed because of Baba's was his name, strong ties to the Elks, they kind of came into the Elks as well.
Speaker 1: They signed up for the Elks.
Speaker 2: And then occasionally we'd be taken to get drinks where we'd go to the bar, which is a wild scene. I can't even tell you everything that was going on at the Elks, okay, but it was wild. Long way to get to that. All the veterans did at this bar, and I went in there a couple times when I was in college.
Speaker 1: We was just call each other cheap the whole time. That's all it was.
Speaker 2: That was the only way these like seventy year old men could communicate and bus balls was just.
Speaker 1: To go college A alligator arms, Why don't you pay for a round? All right?
Speaker 2: T rex arms and all sorts of terms in that range. So what Greg said to you just now Mark triggered memories of the Elks. And I do agree that you are in this case showing a desire to stay away from your pocket.
Speaker 3: No, I strongly just a little alligator arm action. Who do you think most liberally get go arm.
Speaker 1: It's rarely use variations of arms.
Speaker 3: Who throws money on that character on SNL arms who throws money around town? Like at what what order would you put the three of us in? I would say, well, throw some money around town. That's kind of a wild term. But just you are, you would just like think that's how I operate.
Speaker 1: You do?
Speaker 2: You are in many ways? You're handed out a lot of money a lot of times. And that is a lot of situations that is accurate. So No, you're right, that was unfair. You really added the context that was necessarily there.
Speaker 4: I corrected you.
Speaker 1: You did.
Speaker 5: He was and I apologize, Okay, Stephan Diggs was lucky, But I first of all, a good job by Ward. I mean holding out for one hundred k that he kind of held his feet over the fire. It's a lot of money. And I just checked. Jimmy Ward's made fifty five million dollars in his career. He's Diggs has made one thirty six. He's been in the league a long time. Jimmy Ward. Uh, but he's lucky because Ward is not that popular of a player relatively. I don't think many people own those jerseys, and Kirk Cousins, you know, brought up that he wasn't gonna get number eight from Kyle Pitts. We never circled back on this because he found out someone's got to buy all the pit jerseys that have been produced for sale to fans for him to turn it into Cousins jerseys, and that would have been hundreds of thousands of dollars. And Kirk was like, I just don't care that much about it, and neither did Kyle. That doesn't say they were just like, let's forget about it.
Speaker 1: It's fine. I think it's like a year or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a year. But and there's a lot of Kyle Pitts jerseys out there.
Speaker 4: But Greg, what about all these players that switched to zero or two or whatever, like, were they yank to do the same thing? Yes, okay, well then fun just stay consistent.
Speaker 2: And I want to give Digs a little credit because, yeah, sometimes he could be a pain for teams, but he's also big time player. Also, he did not he had a chance when they did the whole switcheroo and let skill players get single digit numbers to move to number one with the Bills, and he decided it wasn't fair to Bill's mafia, the fans that had his fourteen jersey, so that's why he held off.
Speaker 1: It's a little pop for digs in a big spot.
Speaker 4: Fair reporting.
Speaker 1: Greg. Do you have your Kyle Duggar jersey? I don't. I only own one jersey. Ever. I think I've only owned one jersey, and it's a Troy Brown jersey. But that nice first jersey, first jersey. Mine was a boomer size and Jets got it from Santa ninety three Bernie Kosar.
Speaker 3: Although I would not say it was one of those officials. It was like I was a child. It wasn't like one of those like one hundred and eighty dollars official ones.
Speaker 5: It was my parents not getting me a jersey. It never happened. Yeah, oh they were like that's too much. Well not the official one, but you could get.
Speaker 2: The ones, get a T shirt, you could get I mean, what could have been too hard scrabble like you could get the the jersey was like thirty five bucks or something like a B minus verst.
Speaker 3: Right, it didn't know you didn't get the official stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's what I was talking about. Yeah, right, all right, anyway, Kyle Dugger.
Speaker 2: The Patriots continue to light up the imagination of the football public. They signed the safety to a four year, fifty eight million dollar contract. The deal is worth up to sixty six million, includes thirty two and a half fully guaranteed.
Speaker 1: He's twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Years old, but just at the end of his rookie contract, so he came into the league a little later.
Speaker 1: But Gregie a lot of and.
Speaker 2: I just did it a little bit too, a little bit of snarkiness around the Patriots offseason about how many of their in house guys they're locking up, considering there's just no buzz and energy around the team last couple of years. But logically, you know, you keep your guys that are good, and then you've got to find a way to supplement that with fresh blood.
Speaker 5: I look at the method that Ron Wolfe used to use Elliotollf's father, and then certainly Ted Thompson and Brian Kuda Kuntz with the Packers, and this is what they did. And it's just a coincidence that the few good young players on the Patriots roster and there's not a ton happened to all come up for free agency this year. So I think it was smart they kept him. They kept a ONEU. Who am I forgetting that? They also Hunter Henry Hunter Henry not a younger place, but worth keeping around. And they're probably gonna have to pay Christian Barmore at some points.
Speaker 1: I'm fine with it.
Speaker 3: They do have a they have a like a solid secondary, so it's like you don't want to have that be torn down.
Speaker 1: On top of it all, their defense looks good on paper.
Speaker 5: I mean, the defenses are unpredictable, but on paper they have a top ten defense.
Speaker 1: But they were a top ten defense last year.
Speaker 3: They haven't had a Q rating this slow since like the you know, mid ninety pre bars Parcels Patriots.
Speaker 5: No, there's not a lot to get excited about in terms of the moves they made offensively.
Speaker 2: It's bringing players back. The news wasn't all bad for the Panthers last season. It was mostly bad, but there was a breakout player and Derek Brown, the defensive tackle who really thrived under a g ro everall.
Speaker 1: In the three to fourth scheme.
Speaker 2: He was He set up Panthers record for tackles by aligneman. He is a big time run stop stud. So what do the Panthers do? They said, that's a guy we want to keep in our building. So he agrees to a four year contract extension. The team announced on Friday. It's a ninety six million dollar deal, market included over sixty three million guaranteed. That per year average of twenty four million puts him in the top five or defensive tackles.
Speaker 1: You're paying them as an elite player.
Speaker 2: I don't have mega takes about Derek Brown whether he deserves to be in that class, but perhaps you do.
Speaker 3: I would say that like he from a physical perspective, he is a dominant, gigantic human being.
Speaker 4: And this is a team with no first round pick.
Speaker 3: You moved on from Brian Burns, DJ Moore, your toy, Gross Modos goes to San Francisco. It's like, at some point, Carolina Panthers, you've got to keep doing what the Patriots just said. Keep one of your foundational guys. When you're running a three four scheme, like no brainer to me.
Speaker 5: These nose tackles are defensive tackles, the closest thing we have to Nose tackles like a run stopping defensive tackle, take a little time to develop. He reminds me a ton of Dexter Lawrence, who the first year or two Giants fans and Panthers fans talking about Dexter Lawrence and Derek Brown are like, man, we used a pretty high pick on, like a plugger, and then they get older and they get tougher, and suddenly they're the best players in the league at their position.
Speaker 1: So it's a defensive tackle, you know.
Speaker 5: I don't know what you explosion in terms of the money that has been out there the last couple of years between Chris Jones and Wilkins and Madoweke and even Jeffrey Simmons, Aron Pain and Brown fits right in as one of the best players at the position.
Speaker 1: Jordan Mailata. In other news, the International Pathway Program to Fire Yeah Thriving, we talked about the new Chiefs potential playmaker added to.
Speaker 4: The felling a highway than a pathway at this.
Speaker 2: Point, a highway paved solely by Henry Hotchon with gold, with gold and in a handsome manner by Henry. The IPP program is a method being employed by the league to get more players in international markets trained up, exposed to the game, given them, giving them opportunities and when you hit on one of these players. Man, look look, Greg, you look at I'm rewatching the which I highly recommend sports fans because we all watched it during the pandemic. We're all kind of in a like a drugged state in a way, some of us literally some of it was just the whole thing. You remember twenty twenty in a hazy manner, the last dance, the Jordan doc rewatching.
Speaker 1: With my sons.
Speaker 2: It's a little salty language in parts, but overall they're fascinated by this Jordan figure.
Speaker 1: It's like Babe Ruth for these kids.
Speaker 2: The dream Team opened the doors for international play for the NBA. And now, like, like you follow the NBA closer than either Mark or I. Like the percentage of like star players in the NBA, what is it like thirty or forty percent?
Speaker 1: Or from overseas now or.
Speaker 5: The last handful of MVPs? Yes, Jannis. And then because I'm first team NBA, Yes.
Speaker 2: It's a totally different league now than it was thirty years ago. Jordan Malatta is the shining star of this international movement. A left tackle at the Eagles, drafted as a seventh round pick, he didn't have really he had very little experience with football, as a sport, but had the tools, and then they got him trained up and he learned the game and became a dominant tackle at one of the game's most important positions. So he gets paid a extension that is three years, sixty six million dollars. He remained a top level tackle last season. He hasn't been greg a scene by people who vote for things. He's never been a pro bowler. That surprised me through me never been an All Pro. But anyone you talk to the Baldies of the world say nothing but big time positive things about my lotta So another no brainer to keep.
Speaker 1: In your building. A PFF star too, always in the top five to six. What gives lots of them? My lot of bias?
Speaker 5: Maybe people were just like, we're giving too many eagle offensive linemen on these awards, because you know what, if it's a hotchedon bias Kelsey and Lane Johnson and some Hank bias have dominated it, you're right.
Speaker 1: Sometimes offensive lineman people are a year or two behind.
Speaker 5: Now they're really behind on my lot of where they get the Pro Bowls a little later than you expect. Kelsey and Johnson, by the way, uh starred at WrestleMania over the weekend showed up. Kelsey was very involved in a little attention. I mean, these guys, they got so much talent. Jordan Mylotta is also famously a great voice. Uh you know, did a bang up job on the Kelsey Christmas album and also a great around the NFL guest remember that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Our super Bowl. He was legitimately a great guest. In fact, I legitiate you should get him back on the show. We should try his hand. I think Henry can help us with that.
Speaker 4: His hand was as big as any of our computer screens. That's what I recall.
Speaker 2: Most of your analysis today, Mark's just based on the sheer size of the humans involved.
Speaker 3: He was a stunny because like, you know, you get us like and then you got like Derek. Henry came on that same week, and my lot of it's just like, oh, these are gigantic people and I don't want to I don't I'm done with these groups.
Speaker 2: When we when we do these remote shows and we have the guests on, Mark does not like to be next to the giant player.
Speaker 3: Typically it's I enjoyed meeting them and stuff, but it's like that's that's not a winning photo op in my opinion, where it's like, oh, you're four feet shorter than this defensive.
Speaker 1: Time, we should start photo shopping the photos and make you taller than whoever's there.
Speaker 3: Stupid, very Kyles Garrett was a tough, tough scene for I couldn't even speak that to you. That was I think he thought I was from another part anyway.
Speaker 5: I like this is why the Eagles stay good though, as they get ahead of things on these contract Extentially, they also paid Landon Dickerson this offseason. So not only did they bring in a lot of people, and you think, okay, Kelsey's retiring is it got to be a big transition for this offensive line, and they've planned ahead pretty well. They draft Cam Jurgens, they have a third round pick Tyler Steen, who's ready to go. It's like they just invest over and over and over. And that's why for them, like a bad season is nine and seven or falling apart late to go eleven and six, whereas you know, for most teams, bad season is in the New England Patriots, what happened to the life.
Speaker 4: Yes, but the future of the tush push remains enigmatic.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: How the Eagles stay good. The football agna SCENTI, hey, big guys. Ability to completely washed the end of last season from memory is.
Speaker 5: I just not a relative scale. Their strategy was clearly pay for linement. I agree with you the ball and that's worked in the long run.
Speaker 2: I agree with what you're saying overall. But that was a historic meltdown.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know when I listen, we're supposed to now turn the page and everything's fine again.
Speaker 3: But I still have questions. It has been pushed from memory. It has been pushed from memory, I think a little bit. And I'm with you because you still have the same head coach, and people are talking about, like, you know, the personality there in Dangel.
Speaker 1: I don't like it.
Speaker 5: That's why we need you, Dan to be the truth teller from now until week one that they're gonna stink.
Speaker 1: I don't believe it did. Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I'm not even saying that, but it seems as hey, something we've decided. No, we've decided that that didn't happen anymore. So if I have to be the person that say, like, oh, the Eagles have done it again, Oh this is how the goods stay good, and like oh man the Eagles are killing to this offseason. Someone has to say they also had one of the most unbelievable collapses in recent NFL history.
Speaker 1: And they kept the coach and they kept the quarterback. Don't they're running it back again.
Speaker 3: I don't think it would be care to suggest that you're the only go find didn't melt down, Go.
Speaker 1: Find it, Go find it anywhere on the internet is.
Speaker 4: I will I will take I will take a look after the show.
Speaker 2: You know who did it? That Bradley Cooper with his charm. He wiped it all him and Lurally working together.
Speaker 5: It was a tough It was a tough winter for Cooper. The Eagles fall apart in the same way that his his Oscar hopes that movie.
Speaker 2: Has there ever been a more like bald faced attempt to win an Oscar?
Speaker 1: Cooper, get back to what you're good at. Get out of the luxury suite. Stop. Did anybody see that thing?
Speaker 4: I watched it?
Speaker 3: I was I think I mentioned this on one of our like suggests something that you've watched.
Speaker 1: We're not giving you a trophy because you got a fake nose.
Speaker 3: I openly could not stand it, but then I thought about it a lot afterwards made me think, and it was a very strange, but it was it felt like Oscar bade to me, which has worked for him in the past.
Speaker 4: We know that much about him. Why are we still talking about him?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Did you guys talk about the Jets getting a son Radick? That was a nice movie.
Speaker 3: I thought we were very fair in our coverage of nice and praise them.
Speaker 1: I think it led the show nice all right. Eight o'clock to light.
Speaker 2: The Chiefs resigned Mike Danda to a big deal. You know who else is? Clyde Edwards, Claire Returns, I Greg, I have to say coming back is one of the more the underdog tails of the first round.
Speaker 1: Well, no one I thought there was no chance.
Speaker 5: I don't think there was a lot of interest in him, and I gotta say he did make some plays in the stretch run and he only was given the ball like three to five.
Speaker 2: Did anyone ever seem more da as a first round pick after like two years old, when they were telling you to drop them first overall in fantasy as a rookie. Took him a number eleven overall. Anyway, the voters shoot down the stadium bill. By the way, for the Royals and the Chiefs, which tough, tough spot for the Chiefs, who coming up back to back titles probably thought they'd get that bump. They did not, so there's a lot of uncertainty around that situation. He got blown away too, like it wasn't close.
Speaker 3: And I think it's tough for civic groups of people to suggest they're going to pay for these things at this point.
Speaker 1: Man, it's old news now.
Speaker 2: It used to be the way it was. Draft prospect DeAndre Sweat gets a d WI. My goodness, it made me think of Dak Prescott getting a DWI two days after his pro day.
Speaker 1: He dropped down to the fourth round.
Speaker 2: Let's see what happens with Sweat, who was supposed to be a first or second rounder. The Culture assigned Julian Blackman, the Dolphins sign tay R Tart and Kyle Van Noy goes back to the Ravens.
Speaker 3: Gregory three players that were in my top one oh one and only three left total in the top fifty.
Speaker 2: Segue, Yeah, up next, graveyards.
Speaker 6: Grave beards. We're gonna say the day day, grave beards, just.
Speaker 1: Give us one last say lest.
Speaker 7: Say we're here today, gone tomorrow. Will you watch or follow hitch don't mean I cannot play and you will see me leave the way, will.
Speaker 3: Away?
Speaker 8: Grave Bears never go away, never go away, never away, grave bet never been away.
Speaker 6: There goals my hero.
Speaker 9: Watch him as he goes there goals my rule.
Speaker 6: He's over thirty.
Speaker 2: The gray beards are back. We've been doing this exercise how many years now?
Speaker 1: Ten years? Sometimes about singing that song? What a song?
Speaker 4: It's getting better.
Speaker 2: It's like the I'm what I'm hoping for is the Mariah Carey Christmas song bump where it just charts every year on the same time.
Speaker 1: Who is your greatest influence as a vocalist.
Speaker 2: Dave Grohle, Maybe, but maybe role adjacent. So let's go Pearl Jam a little Eddie Better. I've gotten your one of your favorite bands, the National have gotten that in the past.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm surprised you didn't bring greg in for some sort of a singing role there, because Gregor is a renowned now former singer.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: In fact, last year, I think you might have had the last line, and I apologize for taking that from you.
Speaker 3: I think you've done it the right way, and now I do think you know now that I'm a member.
Speaker 1: Of the organization. The controversy. Okay, let's get into it that we've had over the last year.
Speaker 5: You know, the graybird Graybeards that you know, many groups were saying you should play that song and the national land them at your games, and I say no, this has replaced the national anthem for the Graybeards.
Speaker 1: This is their anthem.
Speaker 2: Yes, you have said that before, and I'm glad that you've said it again. This year is a real tough one because, like I said at the top of the show, teams have been more aggressive and as a result, when you look through the list and you guys, like we said earlier, change it up this year.
Speaker 1: I used to write this as an article on the site.
Speaker 2: Now we're just talking it out as a group and going through it, and we're going to land on some things together. Perhaps if you guys, maybe I could serve as a bit of a tiebreaker in certain situations, but in general, I'd like us to kind of build this team together. It's not going to be easy because there's a not a lot on the bone, not a lot of meat on the bone. And I want to say one other thing before we get going that this has always been Yes, the players from the Graybeards have to be turned either over thirty or turning thirty before the Super Bowl. Like the NFL, the NFL makes changes to their product every year, and I've been resistant to ever change the gray Beard's process. But you have to go with the times because of the lack of options, because of the way the NFL views skill position players, especially running backs, where thirty is basically the retirement home. But that's not necessarily what this is about. When they get to that second contract around twenty eight, I was thinking that's when running backs wide receivers will throw tight ends in there as well. So I'm changing the guidelines for those three position groups. Or I could just keep it to wide receivers and running backs. Let's do that twenty eight at some point in the season. It makes you a gray beard, because that's really the way the league is now.
Speaker 5: Greg, I don't think this is going to change my picks much at all. To me, it's just there aren't many free agents available, whether they're twenty eight or not. I do think it's gonna mess up how the song goes that it'll be interesting. They're over thirty except for running back and tight end with your twenty eight you're.
Speaker 1: Gonna work on give me a chance. They'll work that lyrically and find a melody to.
Speaker 3: I think, also Verre, it's inclusive because we've always had that friend in their twenties who suddenly had white hair or you know, when they went pray or white much earlier, and they probably feel not part of society in some way.
Speaker 4: And this says you are part of this operation.
Speaker 5: I don't know who these twenty eight year olds are, so I'm curious to you throw it.
Speaker 3: It didn't change the list much for me. Yeah, in terms of like an earthquake level.
Speaker 2: And I'll just real quick because usually I look back at the graybeards the year before, and as I usually say before we get into it, there are players that are available now to any team that will play a big role for teams in the upcoming season. And that is true. But I'm looking at last year's team and you didn't see a lot of that.
Speaker 1: So last year I'll just go real quick.
Speaker 2: At quarterback, we had wentz in Bridgewater at running back, McKinnon and Latavius Murray. At wide receiver, Odell Jarvis, Landry, Julio Jones, and T Y Hilton at tight end, Mercedes Lewis and Cameron Braidt. You know, if you really want to know, the lion was Donovan Smith, Roger staffle Ben Jones, Gabe Jackson, and Taylor Lewan on defense.
Speaker 1: I'm really hurting David Clowney not being a graveyard.
Speaker 2: He has been a graveyard more than he's not been a graveyard in his career. Last year was Clowney, Leonard Floyd, Frank Clark, and Justin Houston. I mean, these are name brands that you're just not going to see in a lot of cases this year. Somehow, Dominican Sue was on our interior line. Last year, Quintin Jefferson, Shelby, Harris Matthew, Iinidis, Anthony Barr, Marcus Goldman, John Bostick at linebacker. It feels like some of these guys are already ancient history. They never got that chance those graveyards. And then in the secondary Marcus Peters, Bryce Callahan, Byron Jones, William Jackson, Robbie gold was the kicker. I retired Andy Lee at punter. So that was last year's team. I didn't hear a lot of guys that actually had big years from that list. If you guys can throw any do you hear any of there that.
Speaker 4: Their names did in a big years?
Speaker 1: Though Clowney had a good year, Oh clown one of his best years. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Donovan Smith, you know, started the Super Bowl at left tackle, so that was an effect.
Speaker 4: Soue did a lot of sky Sports covered.
Speaker 5: The offensive line in the defensive line was doable.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: Wait, who was the quarterback? Lusher?
Speaker 2: Quarterback was when let's start there? So Wentzon Bridgewater. Joe Flacco was out there. Isn't that crazy? He was out there, was not even selected for a fake football team. So let's start with the quarterback position this year because it is not in a great spot.
Speaker 1: Greggy, I think we all agree.
Speaker 2: Ryan Tannehill, aged thirty five, is a perfect guy to slot in. First time gray Beard. Yeah, so welcome to the team. But thank god Tannehill didn't get signed in the last week or so, because where are we going if Tannerhill goes down. He's had injury issues.
Speaker 3: You don't have to go to like Blaine Gabbert, Trump or Simeons. So yes, there's a steep.
Speaker 5: We do need to keep him healthy, you know, Teddy Bridgewater, I think it's familiar with my appreciation of him over the years. You know, he's known as a leader, a coat. He's becoming a high school coach. I would be willing to offer him even more money than that high school could possibly be given to bring him back, to bring him back as a backup and coach.
Speaker 1: Maybe he can.
Speaker 2: I mean, he was starving interviews about it seems like it's breaking the rules though, Like, here's.
Speaker 1: The thing, Eddie's three years. We all love that Eddie.
Speaker 2: But Teddy was given interviews into the Detroit media in like early December saying like how excited he was to leave the NFL. It was like, dude, you're the backup quarterback. I think he's going on to a different days in his life. I kind of threw out Brian Hoyer because he is a good locker room okay, dude, but I mean he can't play anymore either.
Speaker 1: It's very rough. We'll take coiir as the backup.
Speaker 3: I think over do you have backups or are we just because yeah, we all laid I believe in Tannehill. I think he provides the right kind of spark for this locked and loaded QB one.
Speaker 2: Maybe one of the best qb ones we've had in this exercise. Isn't it also crazy that Blaine Gabbert is thirty four years old?
Speaker 3: Though well a lot of these names would make all the three of us feel and he's been much older than replaced by last year's Graybeard Carson Wentz, So that might spell the end of Gabbert's.
Speaker 1: Although he was with the Chiefs and if Andy Reid thought he was a sound backup or a good option, should we perhaps go with Blaine as the backup Bruce.
Speaker 5: Arians The reason they wanted him there, apparently was because Mahomes especially was obsessed with Tom Brady and just wanted like Tom Brady's backup to like, you know, that was part do we want that?
Speaker 3: I mean, there's worse. Do you guys think there's worse reason? I'm a little worried to Tanna Hill.
Speaker 1: That's a really weird explanation, but.
Speaker 5: Well, it was part of it. They just thought, like you know, he was around him for a couple of years.
Speaker 2: They called Drew Bledsoe first, and they're like, Julie want to be my backup this year?
Speaker 1: So all right, should I put in Blaine? Tannehill also had some rough rough moments last year.
Speaker 4: But yeah, behind a terrible offense, some other.
Speaker 5: Games where he looked looked better. All right, let's put Gabbert. He's a handsome guy, too.
Speaker 1: Very good looking.
Speaker 2: He'll he'll pop in the team photo. All right, running back. So this is where again I had to make that a change that it changes things because Ezekiel Elliott is in his age twenty eight season, A lot of rumors connecting him going back to DALLASA. It's being floated out there by certain people. What are you laughing about that? I we could call this the Zeke rule if we want. Yeah, it's funny that you changed the rule to get Zeke on.
Speaker 5: Although he does feel like a graveyard, and I think he literally does have is a g think he has some gray in it. I I just assumed he was over thirty without decades. So that's why I'm laughing. A lot of miles I wrote. I wrote his name down without even check.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got that.
Speaker 3: The original age boundary clipped him, and it clipped guys like Kareem Hunt, Dalvin Cook. But I guess now all these people are back in the conversation.
Speaker 5: It's funny because I had the same two guys we had a year ago, Yes, Us Murray and Jarek McKinnon.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, let's get by with that. So I had, I had, I said, Zeke and Kareem Hunt, but we're gonna lose.
Speaker 3: I think we're gonna seek in a couple of weeks. That's the one problem here, right, No once you once, they're Graybeard forever.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, that's an important distinction that I always have to lay out there.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're saying you think that, but you also listen.
Speaker 5: All right, I'm gonna I'm gonna put up a stop sign on Cream Hunt.
Speaker 1: He looked woe for last year.
Speaker 5: He also had his off field issues for a fake team, we can keep current and his three three yards per carry off the list. He did not look like this Kaream Hunt. To me a year ago, it looked like the he might have suddenly kind of hit the cliff.
Speaker 1: For I'm fine with that. We could let Kareem walk.
Speaker 2: I will say, just from because you're being very analytical, and that's important.
Speaker 1: Greg.
Speaker 2: You're looking at it's not as West always said, it's not just about the name, it's the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we also put some we gotta put some meat in the seats. Yeah, but kaream hunts. Now I'm saying.
Speaker 4: That I get that he's on the ticket. You know, he's on the.
Speaker 2: Meat in the seats like a lot of buttocks in the in the in the chairs, like a lot of sad Patriots fans.
Speaker 5: I will defend the Zeke era in New England that I'm sure people weren't like. He's obviously doesn't have the greatest explosiveness ever now, but he was Okay, I think he's just you think he's okay, he's perfect for this team.
Speaker 3: All right, So we're pairing Zeke with someone else though, right, Yes, I would lobby for Jeric McKinnon.
Speaker 2: And okay, so Greg said that too, So let's let's roll with that. Good and just I'm gonna and these guys.
Speaker 5: He can he can also tell us about what it's like to win a Super Bowl that multiple times.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true.
Speaker 2: Here are some other options, so we said to Zeke, Boston, Scott, Damien Harris just retired.
Speaker 1: Cam Aker is not eligible.
Speaker 2: He's only twenty four whoa uh dare Agon Boalle Poor JK. Dobbins is out there still, but just twenty five Matt Brida is an option for us. Rashad Penny is an option for us. He's got to be under thirty as well.
Speaker 1: He is.
Speaker 4: I like what we've I like what we've cooked up here.
Speaker 1: Tavius Murray is thirty four.
Speaker 5: Otavius Murray has had a strange career where he never seems to age and always like is better than the younger people around him.
Speaker 1: But I like so.
Speaker 5: Jeric makes the JJ Dobins by the way, as a guy I would be intrigued about. As an NFL team. I know he's I mean not serious injury, but I think you'd be worth a shot.
Speaker 2: All right, Wide receiver here we go a lot of options. We're gonna lead with someone who is a graveyard last year for the first time and again meeting the seats. You need somebody On the cover of the media guide it is Odell Beckham Junior, once again leading the wide receiver group. Anybody disagree that, well I don't disagree, but according to the rule that he's on, he's on, I would say, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 3: You want to sell the tickets. Children and adults alike would be fascinated by the concept. Uh, you know, he's linked very heavily to the dolphins right now.
Speaker 1: Would children it's been a long time since the catch at the met Yes, sell, you could.
Speaker 5: Sell it about you're not pretty and tod he still sort of has a here's with Odell right in the catch and there and there's some highlights you can go back, but yeah, him and Tannehill.
Speaker 1: You know, it's it's a bigger picture of Odell.
Speaker 5: It's like he's got the big face and then Tannahill's maybe a second face.
Speaker 4: That's the other way.
Speaker 5: I think that's the cover of your guide because that's a real quarterback.
Speaker 1: People know.
Speaker 2: But in the eighties they would do the family pictures were to be the profile the child's head and then the pose of them together, like holding blocks.
Speaker 3: I do that with like people in their cats, Like there's a second circle where the cat is looking in a different direction.
Speaker 2: We got big funk behind the glass. Who you know. The stuff this guy can do in the edit is remarkable.
Speaker 5: It's phoen I thought you're gonna talk about his cats, because there's not an animal that Randy Shaves is not taken care of in the entire animal planet.
Speaker 2: I'm not talking about cats, but we can have a separate save it for the Feline podcast, Randy, if you know, and we'll talk about it off off Mike, But we want the old nineteen eighty three perspective shot. And then that's kind of in the distance. Maybe it's a little phased out a little bit like it's not as clear, and then in the foreground it's some type of like action shot something like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, good anyway.
Speaker 2: Odell, I'm gonna throw out Tyler Boyd, who's uh twenty nine years old.
Speaker 1: You guys think about Tyler Boyd.
Speaker 3: Well, I think this rule is you know, I don't know why this rule exists if we don't use it to get the younger player that still has upside.
Speaker 5: I thought he turns. He turns thirty during the season, so you don't even need the rules. Good either way, solid, you know this rule. Maybe coming off his worst year, but he still had six hundred and sixty seven yards in that year. He just seemed like maybe the contract situation was bothering. He did some mental error, some drops. Well we don't love that though, but a nice slot receiver. I mean he's I think this is our strongest position group on the teams.
Speaker 1: Upside.
Speaker 5: I like that here, and I think we got to add a little spice to this. I think we got to bring in Michael Thomas.
Speaker 1: It's time. I haven't come home to the graveyard a little bit of a locker room lawyer. We want a locker room lawyer in the building.
Speaker 3: It's a fresh start, though, And there is this like what if he stays healthy and he doesn't have this eighteen by.
Speaker 2: Guy's not looking too bad by the way. No, we have a guy that has the catch record. We have Zeke was one of the most famous, uh you know NFL players of the previous decade.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have of Ryan Tannehill carried to multiple episodes of Hard Knocks.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: And also when you get Ryan Tannehill, you get Lauren Tannehill as well.
Speaker 1: You do, yep.
Speaker 3: I would say for especially for you know, fans that have been in a coma for two and a half three years, like this looks like an I.
Speaker 5: Would push back in terms of the locker room lawyer aspect, but I think we're looking forward to social media is key. If things go wrong, he'll keep like all attention is good attention, And I think Michael Thomas will keep us in the news right.
Speaker 2: I don't like that Saints element bringing it into my building. But I understand Thomas is someone that you want to bank on, maybe giving you a little and he's got he's got it. He's a name brand. So I'm with you. I'm just a little worried about it. We just lean into the markets. We need a strong base in terms of leadership, all right. I also I'm going to add a fourth receiver here. I know Thomas we're gonna put in the slot, but I also like Hunter Renfro in the slot here.
Speaker 5: Well, you now you're using the age rule for what reason? What do you mean although he has been balding for a long time, he's older than you take like he's just.
Speaker 2: His hairline was hurting on hard knocks as a rookie. So yes, he he'll he'll fit in, uh visibly. But also I know you you waged a war against Renfro early in his career, Greg, and then he fell out of favor with the Raiders that felt like the last couple of years. But he's still just this is his age twenty eight season. I want to I'm gonna put him up. Is there someone else that you guys are I want MVS.
Speaker 1: On this team.
Speaker 5: I think we got the slot handled with Boy and Thomas.
Speaker 1: I want some speed.
Speaker 5: It's pretty rare to have a graybeard with some deep speed. He's quiet all season, but in the non existent playoffs that the Graybeards have never made team, he always he comes up big in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: Vs. What do you think?
Speaker 4: Very frustrating player.
Speaker 3: But that's not going to be on like three quarters of our roster, so that fits right in.
Speaker 1: You m VS.
Speaker 3: Over Renfro for you. I thought Renfro was already in it. We're picking our one. We have Odell there, but Michael Sterley Shepherd. I don't know, like that gets ugly Markus Goodman, I'll go MVS.
Speaker 1: I just want to I'm okay with that. You know who actually had this.
Speaker 5: I think it was the second highest percentage of snaps of any available wide receiver free agent that was over thirty was Alan Robinson. I was like, Wow, Alan Robinson played a lot for the Steelers last year, but I do not feel like bringing in Alan.
Speaker 1: Alan Robinson is not on this team. He can't and Julio Jones caught a pass in the playoffs last year.
Speaker 5: Do you remember that thirty five years old for the Philadelphia Eagles. Yeah, it's the thing that happened. Yeah, he was a graveyard last year. Randall Cobb is out there. You know who else is out there now? Not Graybeard eligible even under the Zeke rule.
Speaker 2: But Chase Claypool is not employed anymore, and I don't know if he's going to get employed anytime soon. Like he might be in the whatever what's the you know for COCTA Spring League called it now ufl like he might have to go re established the brand at this point.
Speaker 1: And to think that the Bears surrendered his second round pick for him two years ago, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: That gets washed away in the current hype.
Speaker 5: I went to confirm that Julio Jones caught a pass. He cut three passes in the playoffs. Hell, yeah, you're wondering how far that Egos offense fell.
Speaker 2: All right, do we have to take a break where we're due for beggar. Let's take a break and then we'll get through the rest of the graveyards roster. Right, So so far, so good, I have to say. I mean, when you look at the offense, now, let's it's let's get to tight end. There's there are some options here. The one that kind of jumps out to me is Logan Thomas, thirty two years old with yepj Ozama is coming up a bad knee injury. He is on the market, Bobby Tanian's out there.
Speaker 4: How do the real health situations factor into this?
Speaker 1: They factor in? Okay?
Speaker 5: Well, I love Logan Thomas as an option, been productive throughout his career.
Speaker 1: Do we want Jimmy grahmm on that media man an injury?
Speaker 5: I you know, we keep bringing back Marcedes Lewis, and so does the NFL. He's now forty to have a forty year old gray beard, pretty cool, pretty exciting.
Speaker 3: I I yeah, i'd Lewis. We can put him on the coaching stuff, not with Jimmy Graham. I think Jimmy Graham is better for the for the media guide.
Speaker 1: Does Jimmy Graham put me in the seats? I don't know at this stage.
Speaker 5: He did release a He had an Instagram post a few weeks ago that seemed to sound retirement ish. Uh, just kind of like, hey, the end of the season was quick, didn't didn't get a chance to thank everyone for like a fun year in New Orleans. I think Logan Thomas and I like Marcedes Lewis as their backup, just like Kee.
Speaker 1: Is he turning forty this year?
Speaker 3: He's forty. Yeah, that's specialist. I think that that that has a nice get something pieces and some nice It.
Speaker 5: Was literally drafted with Grace Jones Drew. No mj D is always talking about him. He mj D says he's still a player in the league. It's it's cute, let's see, let's see kicker. Uh man.
Speaker 2: I really wish I could put Robbie Gould down here, but I think he retired, didn't he.
Speaker 3: I don't think he fits for this like he did if someone didn't even this last year.
Speaker 2: But as he filed his paperwork, I'm just asking questions as one must.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he did. I think we talked about it. I think you're right. Big Boned Randy is out there.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, a special We have a special bond.
Speaker 1: With Big Bone. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't like him as a kicker well and his zaft take figure. I like, I relate to it. I feel like it's something he battles. But he also has now been kicking for about ten years. He's getting the full pension and this is a way to say you've battled through a lot of adversity, Come on in.
Speaker 3: Like your other options are, like what Brett maher like, I'm going I'm with you, like fat, Randy's been an art or Randy.
Speaker 1: Pulletsho whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 4: That's what the nickname was.
Speaker 1: I didn't exact that day on our show.
Speaker 5: To be fair, he's slimmed down. He's gone up and down over the years.
Speaker 3: Now that I'll have to see him in the hallways, you know, inside the team complex. That would probably shy away from calling him though.
Speaker 5: It's also a connection to Chris Chris Westling. I feel like he had a lot of opinions about Randy Bullock back in the day.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he got a kick out of his figure.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's rubenesque, and that just I like, yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: I think it's important for our team to embrace all body types as well. It's a good message. Body inclusive is a big thing now, So welcome Randy. All right, punter, punter, punter.
Speaker 3: I don't know about you, guys. I was like literally looking for punters. There is not a point to search stops.
Speaker 5: As far as I can tell, there is not a punter who punted the ball in the NFL last year. That is a free agent that is over thirty. Yeah, but how about this we I did.
Speaker 3: We don't punt. We don't punt. That's a that's you could get fans involved with that one. I could be like searching it wrong, but I don't think so. I don't think there is an available. I have an idea had a punt.
Speaker 5: Presley Harvin again, body diversity inclusive, but he's quite young. The Steelers cut him.
Speaker 3: If you go to open the cap all these sights now, don't enlist one of these.
Speaker 1: There is not a punch I'll thrown out there. Sewn Lindetta.
Speaker 3: Okay, what did I literally write on my screen? Sean Lenarretta, who's sixty two? Okay, lets Dan, that's how legends are made when you're team building. We both have, Shawn.
Speaker 5: Is why I was pointing out to Mark last week that it was tough for him when Dan's out of the out of the state.
Speaker 4: Shawn Lendetta, sixty two.
Speaker 1: We both thought of Sean Lindetta.
Speaker 2: Somewhere, Poppy is smiling on the brown couch, drinking his root beer, not talking to me. All right, Shawn Lendetta. Welcome to the gray Beard's. Hopefully he's staying in shape. All right, offensive line.
Speaker 5: We'll keep an eye on the waiver wire in case anyone loses a job in camp elsewhere.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna throw out just what I put it projected the line, and if you guys want to replace anyone, I'm totally open to it. Right tackle Billy Turner, right guard, Cody Whitehair, center, Connor Williams, left guard d J. Fluker and bringing in David Back is a perfect gray Beard at left tackle.
Speaker 4: I had back Ti Connor Williams as well.
Speaker 1: Well. Connor Williams is like twenty seven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know that's why.
Speaker 1: Well young Oh okay, get okay, get rid of Connor. Yeah he's got he's twenty six, he said.
Speaker 4: I thought he was.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm thinking another hold on. There's multiple Connor McGovern. Connor McGovern is only thirty and offensive line for the New York Jets in the last three years.
Speaker 5: Because I actually had Lake and Tomlinson maybe as one of my guards, the tackle position might be the best on the roster. I take it back from the receiver. Andrews. Pete played quite well late last season at left tackle for the st typically a guard, but typically a guard, so you could play him at guard or tackle. But I'm a little surprised he's still out there. And then Donovan Smith, I mean he wasn't lighting it up, but he did, you know, start for the Super Bowl Champs and most of the season for the he stepped in for it. He was okay, No, he was there all year. Oh yeah, right right, I'm thinking of the right tackle. Yeah, he left, he was injured, and then he came back. Uh so, who did you have it as your left tackle before? I had good though, I like, yeah, I think he's that's he's putting.
Speaker 1: The people are like they want to know what's next in his journey.
Speaker 5: I think it's the draft that's keeping these guys out there because compared to other positions, I was like a number Charles Leno is another one. I was like a number of these guys could actually play meaningful NFL snaps in the fall, and I don't see that at many positions. We want to where there is like five or six tackles, do we.
Speaker 1: Want to kick down Ivan Smith to right tackle.
Speaker 3: I think it's that it's that type of versatility that we'll look at who we put in the pivot.
Speaker 5: I guess BOCKERI but he hasn't stayed healthy too often, you know, bro the pivot center.
Speaker 4: I think Connor McGovern.
Speaker 1: You got to get in the term terminology if you're going to be a true front office head.
Speaker 4: Connor McGovern was thirty third ranks the pivot.
Speaker 1: I wasn't listening as pussy as I should have.
Speaker 4: Lucas Patrick.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite it like tropes of people talking ball like about the pivot.
Speaker 1: Who's in the pivot? Okay, let's put Pete in at guard? All right?
Speaker 5: We got Bachtiari and Donovan Smith attack on yehs going all.
Speaker 1: Right, so we'll put Andrews Pete. These guys.
Speaker 2: You had, I like that, Cody at right guard, and then who's in the pivot? There weren't many.
Speaker 4: I think Connor mccovern, all right, he's thirty years old.
Speaker 5: Again, Lucas Patrick, I looked at a man Tyler Shatley just for the name is we clearly were the.
Speaker 3: Quarterback is going to be shatleeing his pants when we were sifting through the same software.
Speaker 5: Yeah, justin Pugh as a man who had some social media excitement last year, Giants when he said he was straight off the couch. Uh as the as the team that he played for on Sunday Night football, I believe.
Speaker 1: So that was exciting.
Speaker 2: All right, let's move off the line before people fall asleep. All right, how about the defensive line? Okay, who are putting on the edge?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm excited to get Jerry use on the team we played three, four or fourth.
Speaker 3: I would say, we are you could you could go four to three here if you want to get four.
Speaker 5: I think so too. Emmanuel Ogba's still out there. Yeah, I think Jerry Hughes mayort uh Emmanuel Agba. But Dupre was in a weird system.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Our friend Henry Hodson pushed back on me a little bit that I had Agba in our in my top one oh one when when Xavi and Howard wasn't there.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: I'm just like Agba always used to be good and then he didn't really fit in the fan geo scheme. Maybe maybe Melvin Ingram's never disappointed when he signs with the team halfway through the season. Justin Houston somehow unique last year, somehow unique andwa is not old enough to qualify still yet he's been in the NFL for seventy three seasons.
Speaker 1: But who's putting their hand in the dirt? Well, both the dressers. Yeah, I'm trying to use terminal. Who are the d tackles?
Speaker 4: Uh Klais Campbell?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that's a great one thirty eight.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, that will leave you concerns about Michael Thomas because Campbell will keep that.
Speaker 4: He'll keep it, He'll keep them in.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 5: I think we haven't gotten to our coaching staff, but there's some pretty good names available.
Speaker 1: But I think could really keep the discipline on. Did retire?
Speaker 3: He's a British tell he did not get a job this year.
Speaker 1: So is he still hanging spending summers with Leaca on the plant? Lawrence guy who.
Speaker 5: Famously made the All Decades team for the Patriots in the twenty ten.
Speaker 4: Somehow, William Goldston is out there, Jordan Phillips.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go Campbell and Guy as my picks at defensive tackle.
Speaker 4: But uh, it's not a strong group. Yeah, I didn't have a lot of listener.
Speaker 3: I think Campbell Campbell will help up the weakness of the other A linebackers. Anthony Barr. Barr was there last year, you've.
Speaker 5: Got Zach Cunningham came in and played some snaps, Kwan Alexander.
Speaker 1: It's not a strong like Kwan there positioned Nick Vigil.
Speaker 5: It's a bunch of guys who keep getting signed like late in the mix, and they fill in it. I think the linebackers making a comeback in the NFL of teams realizing that they're important, and the lack of lack of names available might spell that out here.
Speaker 2: All right, So let's go Bar Alexander and what gives one more Cunningham Cunnyham.
Speaker 1: Jack Leonard is too young for this. He's not with Italy though.
Speaker 2: I've lost many many Chack Leonard's not turned twenty eighth this year. Well we're doing this with Well, you're right, right, yeah, I take that back, right, you're right, all right. This is where I've lost many seasons. Is in the secondary we are too Solon. I don't hate this group.
Speaker 1: It's ironic.
Speaker 5: Whereas that, you know, I think I keep saying it now, this is the strength of our team. I think the secondary is how could that be? How could there be why impact makers in?
Speaker 3: It could be draft related to But there's a couple of guys and they're like thirty thirty one, Like you got Stephan Gilmour's out there.
Speaker 5: Gilmour and Steven Nelson are two guys who play. You know, Steven Nelson was a lower level but played starting cornerback at a pretty high level last year.
Speaker 3: I love Gilmore, Savi, you and Howard. Oh that's you need three corners right? Oh yeah, okay, who's who were playing in the slot. Well, they're also experienced that we can. We can put Howard in three all sorts of strategic chaos for the We.
Speaker 2: Put Gilmour on an island and say good luck one more year. Yeah more riot Son, Yeah, just leave.
Speaker 1: On an island.
Speaker 5: These are some reasonable players. Though, by the way, Doy Jackson does not qualify, but he's a reason.
Speaker 1: Whenever we could leave a thirty two year old cornerback on an island, gotta do it sixty minutes in today's there.
Speaker 5: But you know what I'm I want to play a lot of zone because, you know, because of their age, and also because we've got good safeties.
Speaker 1: The safety position that's always flushed in this exercise.
Speaker 5: Justin Simmons is like Gilmore's thirty three, a recent All Pro.
Speaker 1: Justin Simmons.
Speaker 2: Gilmore's turning thirty four in September by week two, Okay, but he was playing well all right, Yeah, we're definitely playing zone.
Speaker 3: It's still quality player and I mean lucky other was It's the NFL or wherever we play in twenty twenty four, we got to be they're gonna mix it up.
Speaker 2: I got to mix it a mix up. Yeah, the scheme is fluid. It's not the old days schemes fluid. Don't try to put us in a box.
Speaker 3: If they get if they join a team in real life and get hurt in real life.
Speaker 5: Tell me this safety group isn't better than some NFL teams. Justin Simmons, Quandary Diggs, jay Ron Curse, and either Micah Hyde or to Shaan Gibson might be retiring.
Speaker 1: So that how many how many roster spots we have for safety? I don't know. I just usually do too.
Speaker 5: Let's go three because we're gonna play where again, we're trying to we're mixing a match and we're playing a three safety defense.
Speaker 3: Sometimes linebackers are so bad. I want to play one line back.
Speaker 2: We play four to one, right six, We're gonna do a little sneaky, get a twelve on the field move thatches it.
Speaker 1: I just think I I want to play. We don't have a lot of speed. Quandary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there, that usually works.
Speaker 5: We don't have a lot of speed. I just want to p vent the big play. I'm going to play six defensive backs at all time, six dbs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just like let them complete five office.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like eighteen yard screen pass after twenty yard screen passes?
Speaker 1: Are there guys that are? We're in my one oh one or close? Who who's our third? Eggs Simmons Diggs And let's go j run curse? All right? Good player? All right? Uh, head coach, there's only one choice. Go ahead. I mean it's writ in a book right now.
Speaker 5: He was wearing a University of Washington or is it Washington University sweatshirt this weekend giving people in the Pacific Northwest just the fields, I think because he was with his son Steve Belichick out of Washington coaches Clinic.
Speaker 1: Did you watch the game on Monday? Bill Belichick is our head coach? Hell? Yeah that is.
Speaker 2: And I know that that doesn't mean a lot in the modern league anymore. But for the graybeards, There's never been a more perfect synergy of a man who's been counted out because of his age. I don't tell me anything else. Belichick is the bell of the ball. If he's sixty two instead of seventy two. He has been counted out because people say the game is passed him by.
Speaker 1: The Gray Beards are here to prove.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like when we talk about like a violent Kude Todd in terms of hiring cycle, this would be it because this is someone who could go break down Shoul's record as the coach of the Gray Beards and that'd be good.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna say these two men, although they seem like they wouldn't be a good fit, they have actually, if I'm not mistaken, been on the same staff together. It is men who famously said he didn't come to kiss Bill Belichick's rings. But I kind of like pairing Bill with Rex Ryan and oh wow, the rexes DC. Bill's the head coach. It's Bill's defense obviously, but it's a Rex there. You know, Rex famously cooked up Bill in the twenty ten AFC Divisional playoffs.
Speaker 1: They they can work together and make magic.
Speaker 3: I mean, you talk about that that, you know, the team programs and stuff. We've got Rex Ryan and Bill Belichick joining forces.
Speaker 1: Was he on the Patriots Steph and Rob Ryan? Rob Ryan? Rex? Never? Oh not Rex? He was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so maybe Bill might veto that. But and I'm I'm going to do what other people, UH were unwilling to do. I'm gonna give Bill the final call. Like a Bill isn't comfortable with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought you were going somewhere else with this, And I kind of like the idea of First of all, this is the roster Bills always wanted. Just a bunch of hard, nos intelligent players, old bunch smart.
Speaker 1: A bunch of progress stoppers. He likes that in the NFL, He's gonna like it.
Speaker 5: On the behaviors, I think, you know, give a little sugar with all the the sourness that Bill gives you, and bring in Pete Carroll.
Speaker 1: Those are two two of the greatest defenses.
Speaker 5: Oh that's a good call, you know, just to pump everyone up.
Speaker 2: Only have two coaches, we get multiple coaches. I think I think that's the play. As much as I love Rex, I think Bill, who Bill replaced Carol, didn't he once upon a time in New England he.
Speaker 3: Did, and that that was an agism type thing to the Pete Carroll thing exactly.
Speaker 2: So I think he's a perfect fit. So DC, Carol head coach Bill, I think we got to give Frank Signetty another chance. I don't see. I think Frank deserves hold Frank gotta be over.
Speaker 4: What fifty six?
Speaker 1: I think hold ons? Okay, let's see Frank. How old is Frank is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's turning fifty eight, fifty eight, So yeah, let's get him because he got bounced by the pitt Panthers.
Speaker 4: Right, and that never face.
Speaker 2: They said he wasn't good enough, probably like looking back, probably agism, I think so. And of course Special Teams coach always and forever Mike west Off, who ooh he trashed No, he didn't trash Belichick. He he was on our show and was annoyed that we were asking him like questions. He didn't want to talk about. West Off tresh parcels in his book, which Belichick's gonna love. So they're going to and they once upon it. I'm coached together on the Jets. So this is an incredible staff. Belichick, Carol west Off, Signetti, let's go.
Speaker 5: And I just just to get the gang back together, because you don't hear about him much lately. Let's bring in Charlie white as like a consultant.
Speaker 1: Get him in.
Speaker 3: Charlie consultant, good times, hard to forget Tom Brady.
Speaker 1: Get him in the building. Not that old, actually sixty eight years old.
Speaker 5: Charlie white Son is the offensive coordinator for I'm just gonna put in Jane Kiffin's old miss team.
Speaker 1: How about that, He's gonna put in captions here. Get him in the building. The coaching staff really changes.
Speaker 5: It's my opinion on this team because before we learned I learned about the coaching staff or thought about it, I was going to predict ohen seventeen. I did not think this team was winning a ball game, not a single game.
Speaker 2: You're telling me can't get hot and the defense defense can't get some.
Speaker 1: Did they go a year ago? What was the I predicted six and eleven and they went four and third.
Speaker 4: They won four games with Carson Wentz.
Speaker 5: I believe I put it predicted that they're gonna win one in sixteen or two and fifteen last year. This team seems worse, But actually after talking through it, it's a little better.
Speaker 1: Than I thought.
Speaker 4: I think five and twelve.
Speaker 1: We gotta keep Tannahill.
Speaker 2: Healthy no matter what, and we got we got to keep Wiy's health healthy as well. Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna put with this coaching staff and the chips on the shoulders, I'm gonna put.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna predict nine and eight that is out.
Speaker 4: That is insane.
Speaker 5: Uh, because of the coaching staff. I think you put it in an average coaching staff, i'd be Owen seventeen.
Speaker 1: I think Bill coaches this. That's so messed up. How many does a great jobs got through all these position.
Speaker 2: Groups saying oh, this is a great group, this is a really good group, and we're not gonna steal a win with the basic coaching staff like that, I think.
Speaker 1: Well, there's just a couple of positioned groups that betrays the very nature the exercise.
Speaker 2: Greg, we're not nihilis here with the gray beards, like we believe in these trying.
Speaker 1: To be realistic.
Speaker 4: It's I'd say it's maybe the best secondary the gray Beards. Yeah, I've ever had and that was killing them.
Speaker 5: It's a great secondary. Few years ago, I don't know where we're getting pressure. I think they're picking on our linebackers. The protection we'll see. But if they can't keep Tannehill healthy for.
Speaker 2: Trumble, that is everything starts there, Lily at Zeke twenty seven, we haven't had a consistent pass rusher, by the way since John Abraham.
Speaker 1: No, sorry, all right, because of the coaching staff.
Speaker 5: I think it's it's a magical season and they coach them up to six wins and it's.
Speaker 1: They Actually he gets Coach of the Year votes getting those six team of eighten.
Speaker 4: I do that today. All right, there you go.
Speaker 2: That is the the Graybeards of twenty twenty four. Geez, Tannehill ice that ankle, bud ice them both getting the hyperback chamber until training camp. That that's what we need health at the QB position. And I think we can steal. We could steal a lot of wins. All right, We'll take a break and then we'll close things out.
Speaker 6: I'll beg I'm so hungry.
Speaker 1: We need your help. We need this. Come on, Greg, we are in the future. Would you be my dad? We need your help, Greg?
Speaker 3: Can I trust you?
Speaker 6: Hey, Jag, we must listen to Dela Whale do it for us.
Speaker 1: We need your help.
Speaker 6: Greg.
Speaker 1: We look, Deela Whale.
Speaker 6: We we need to listen to Deli Whale. It's up to you.
Speaker 1: Wow, first of all, adorable. Yeah, those are all of our children. I think it was Walker. No, my kids. Your kids were not involved. I texted your wife. She didn't reply.
Speaker 4: I believe mine were of it.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm not certain about that.
Speaker 1: No, Oh, you didn't hear I heard Luke and Colton in there.
Speaker 3: I went in thinking it was just your too, so I'd have to listen again. Really, yeah, but I was also a long that was a long time ago. So there's their voices have changed. Many years have passed, Many years have passed since Greg.
Speaker 2: We first have asked about the tapes, the Delaware tape, and it's this is not by the way, this isn't an ambush, so don't worry.
Speaker 1: But developing news. I don't know when you went away on vacation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there may have been some conversation about reopening the investigation for the tapes. Okay, and I want to tell you that we are in possession of the tapes.
Speaker 1: Now, wow, that is an ambush.
Speaker 2: But I'm not playing the tapes and I haven't listened to them either. Well, you're going to be disappointed, but I have the tapes we read.
Speaker 1: We put a call.
Speaker 4: Out, Yeah, call to arms. People responded, call the arms.
Speaker 2: I don't want to give up my source here, but we're in possession of the tapes now.
Speaker 1: I want to just cycle back. Greg.
Speaker 2: I want you to think about this, because I know your first instinct is going to say, if you they stay in the vault, we never hear them. But those children that you heard better for the bit. Those children that you heard were begging for it, Yeah, begging. And it reminded me why that existed in the first place, which was the idea that if we can put together some type of charitable donation and the listeners could get involved as well as Mark and I will as well toward Greg's charity of choice, the Food Bank of Santa Monica's.
Speaker 4: Right, sure that would be appropriate in exchange.
Speaker 2: For giving us access to a listening session, a one time listening session of Delaware. So I'm going to again put that out there to you, Greg, now that we have the tapes. Out of respect for you as a friend, I would never just ambush you and play the tapes.
Speaker 1: But we do have the tapes now.
Speaker 2: So now it's just a matter of you agreeing and giving the listeners. And I'm the reason it came up while you were away is people have been constantly hitting us up about this for years, constantly would be the right.
Speaker 1: Right, like where are the tapes? The Delaware tapes come on, Greg.
Speaker 2: So the fact that now we do have the tapes, it is fully the ball is in your court to give the lit it's really twofold, give the listeners what they've been clamoring for a decade, and two to actually help people in need via a donation to charity.
Speaker 3: You also could factor in the potential outcome that Dan and Mark cannot find a tape player anywhere. So that that's the second part of this mission.
Speaker 1: It's three file. Don't worry, Okay, sit there. Yeah, I don't believe you that you haven't listened. Wow, I promise you.
Speaker 5: I do believe you. But I just I'm surprised. It wasn't Hawaii. It was you know it was. It was the wrong words for it.
Speaker 2: We put the call out and immediately heard back from parties connected.
Speaker 1: Oh no, quick, this is I mean it is a name. Bush is quite a surprise. It's going to be you want to think on it. We don't even know.
Speaker 5: It's going to be disappointing to hear the forty five second like joke songs over like a tape recorder that were made with us in a piano.
Speaker 2: No, it will not be disappointed, but maybe it will be disappointing. Uh, or as Mark's probably not going to be disappointing. Uh yeah, because he did this the sore. I shouldn't even say, hey, this person, this individual even gave me some background information.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know who it is. How would I not know who it is? I don't know. What do you mean? We don't know what you know?
Speaker 5: Oh, there is only one There is only one person who would have kept kept and everything, kept a record, kept kept everything going.
Speaker 4: So it's well, they betrayed you.
Speaker 1: Well the start right there there. He wouldn't look at it like that. Are you well, are you upset with me or this individual? No?
Speaker 5: No, I can't be upset. You know that you just dug it up. Finally it happened.
Speaker 1: Uh. If you know who this is, he does.
Speaker 2: He has a kind of a funny little story also about your time together in high school.
Speaker 1: Working at the local newspaper.
Speaker 5: It was not the local newspaper, but it was our school newspaper in which we were co sports editors for a hot minute and then I sort of just bailed on it and left him to do all the work.
Speaker 2: He kind of hints at that, but he the email sent by this source was very jovial in nature. Yeah, so there's there's I don't believe there to be. And Mark, I haven't shared this with you either any bad intentions. It was more, oh, you know, do you want this?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 2: It is and now Greg has a big decision to make, and I wouldn't betray you and your privacy if you want to keep the past in the past, but just letting you know that it's out there and that is I mean, that's a major score, by the way, by the Zuzzar as a journalist to after years of looking to find the tapes and now it is in your hands, and you tell us if you're open to the idea of a donation to bring the tapes forth, perhaps we play them at our podcast remote podcast at the Strand in about a month. I think that would be a listening party if you will these ideas.
Speaker 3: I would like you know, Greg, I mean, sleep on it multiple times, just stretch this out for like, let's really build up to that.
Speaker 5: And that's yes's part great journalism work by you. Dan to read the tweet that was sent to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, don't don't hit out at me doing my job.
Speaker 5: I actually do remember when Jeff sent a similar one seven or eight years ago. It might have been over Facebook or something like that, and just everyone ignored him and I was like, okay.
Speaker 4: Well the investigation.
Speaker 5: Or it was even brought up on this show as many years ago, maybe ten years ago.
Speaker 1: The yeah, it has been. And now it shifts to decision time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in this decision year for our country, a pivotal election coming up, it is Greg now that first has the pivotal decision.
Speaker 5: For new listeners. Yeah, it was a It was a band. I was in jokie band. I mean, we didn't really play shows other than I think our school's talent show a few times, and we had some we had some songs, we had some tapes.
Speaker 2: And the call is put out there and my source, a listener tracked down the source on social media to let him know that the call.
Speaker 3: Was out all the president's men in two point zero unbelievable.
Speaker 2: All right, So there you go, let us know. We want to hear your debut album. How do you want to cook? We're interested in maybe shiny Man went to Frogtown?
Speaker 1: Now was that second? That was second? I don't know. All right, we'll be back on Wednesday. I mean, what a bombshell you get.
Speaker 2: You get the tension in the area, and it's not even like an unhealthy I could feel Gregg's gears turning like should I or shouldn't I?
Speaker 1: And can I can help people? Like all that stuff is happening in real time? Right? Yeah? Mark really is.
Speaker 3: It is a fascinating subplot to our lives.
Speaker 5: As much as I am loath to help people, it's it's a tough decision, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Well you just try to sleep with it if you can. Uh, until then we'll maybe get an answer and the hopefully near future, we'll.
Speaker 1: Be back Wednesday another episode of Around the NFL. Till then see the call.