Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler podcast, the Forgotten five dollars bill in your daily puzzle pants pocket. I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and today's guest is the awesome Neghine Farsad, comedian, writer and director, also host of the podcast Fake the Nation. Welcome Neighine.
Speaker 2: Hello, thanks for having me back.
Speaker 1: We are delighted. We enjoy your puzzling. Today, we wanted to talk about the English language because you are a podcaster, but you're also a writer and author. You wrote the book How to Make White People Laugh, a delightful book. As a writer, I'm guessing you might have noticed that the English language is insane. It's a crazy language, especially the spelling. Yes, are you do you? Are you a good speller? Moderate speller.
Speaker 2: I had a moment in my day of winning a couple of spelling bees at a very very hyper localized level. So I'm not trying to brag or anything, but nine or ten year old Nagine was doing some very good spelling.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, I didn't even know that side of you. Now I'm more impressed. Well do you remember any of your winning words?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: My god god no, But I think one thing that I do remember is that they were sort of like, you know, simple like the animal, like a you or something. It would just like throw you off. But they were a simple word of a sord or something. I remember they're spelling sometimes.
Speaker 1: That's interesting because we've talked about you on the show The Puzzler, because the only time you see you ewe is either in spelling bees or crossword puzzle. Like no one goes and says, hey, look at that beautiful you.
Speaker 2: I want to Yeah, I've never exactly, I've never uttered it in casual conversation exactly.
Speaker 1: I felt that was there a pun on utter or was that just me I feel? But as you said, you is a perfect example because it's there's you, there's ewe. Words are spelled in so many different ways but pronounced sometimes all over the place. So for instance, you might know that there are ten different pronunciations of the letters O, U, g H. There's tough, there's cough, there's bow, there's bow, there's maybe there's not bow, there's though, there's thought, anyway, hiccup. It goes on and on, And these are called I rhymes. So these are words that look like they should rhyme, but do not. So this is a puzzle about I rhymes. These are all two word phrases that look like they should rhyme when they're written, but they do not rhyme when they're said out loud. So if there was some hard uncooked bread, hard to chew uncooked bread, that might be tough dough, so they look but they don't.
Speaker 2: This is a This is one for Miriam Webster herself. I mean, okay, let's see what I can do. But wow, all right, you didn't.
Speaker 1: You're not easy to it. I'm sorry. Well, yes, Mariam was booked as we're funk and wagnal. Does that still exist? Funk and wagonyl It's just such a funny drunken white I believe are drunk and funk. But I'm here to help. I'm here to help. Your first clue is unhurried bovine. So this is an unhurried bovine. A bovine is uh, you know, sort of how now brown? Yeah, exactly, so one unhurried one. It's not fast as a.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a slow cow.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a slow cow. Why did you say you? Yes, yes, a slow cow?
Speaker 2: Right? Okay, because like right, slow and cow look like they should rye, but they don't write.
Speaker 1: Okay, exactly, that's an eye right. You think it's either slow co or slow cow, y slow cow?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: What about a uh a checkered or tartan housekeeper? This is a housekeeper who is checkered or tartan. So a housekeeper as in, yes, a maid exactly. Now, think of something that's like a Scottish ai d yes, yes, a Scottish maid who wears what on there?
Speaker 2: Like maybe a maiden plaid.
Speaker 1: A maiden plaid, a plaid made exactly. You say it sometimes as if you're a tentative. But you got it, But I got it, But I know what I'm doing. I did not know by the way, checkered versus tartan, it's a whole thing. I looked it up. I don't know it's did you know I didn't understand that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm gonna say tartan is more like plaid, and checkers is more like little squares.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, Yeah, you got all right, so I did know it was a whole thing. Well, speaking of clothing, here's here's another one. This is a a hush hush French hat. So this is a hat, a beret. Yes, Now this is a hush hush one that no one knows about it. It's very top ends in r e T. So you know it's gonna end in our e t. You whisper me a blank or tell me a blank or secret? Blank, secret beret? Exactly?
Speaker 2: You got sacred beret or secret the French.
Speaker 1: Exactly a secret? Exactly? All right? We got one more? Are you ready? This one is an animal boob. The boob of an animal might.
Speaker 2: Be the boob of an animal? I mean, is it an It's not utter or that we just talked about.
Speaker 1: No, no, I put that in your mind.
Speaker 2: Now this is.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, a very common synonym for boob, breast, blank, milk or blank. But yes, the.
Speaker 2: Breast of an as this is suddenly this this is a pornographic show. Suddenly, what do we do it?
Speaker 3: There?
Speaker 2: I was told this was the puzzler.
Speaker 1: This is listen as I say, we are very wholesome. This is just something that exists in nature. Okay, all right, gotcha? Okay, not so, but this is like an a blank of burden or beauty in the blank might be.
Speaker 2: Yes, the the breast beast, breast.
Speaker 1: You got its breast. Yes, why does heavy?
Speaker 2: It just feels so wrong because when now that you're talking about how like similer they look, you know that they should be the same sounding word. It feels very weird to say them next to each other.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, that's what we're here for, to make you feel weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to make my mouth feel really weird.
Speaker 1: But but I think it's it isn't instructive of how crazy the English language is, because he should be beast priest or it should be best pressed. Yeah, in one of those two.
Speaker 2: I don't know what do we talk to about this? Do I send an email to my senator? Who can I talk to about this? I want to change it. I don't like it, Sir, I don't like it.
Speaker 1: I am so glad you're passionate as I am out there. I will say Ben Franklin he wanted to reform spelling, So maybe write to him or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, we should have listened to that guy sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not all the time, not all the time, not all the time. He was the best of them in my opinion. That's my humble opinion. Well, thank you, Nighin, you did great. Where can people find more of your content? Whether it's rhyming or I rhyming or neither.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, folks, I think you should totally subscribe to Fake the Nation, where if you get your podcasts, and if you happen to be a fan of animation, you can see me on the hear me on the adult swim show bird Girl. It's available on HBO Max or Max and it's a really fun show and there's a couple of seasons up there, so a lot to like sink your teeth into. I am Meredith the mind Taker, and I really enjenction.
Speaker 1: It all right, well, and we can hear you there. We can't see you there, but we can hear you there. Before we wrap up, as always for the puzzlers at home, an extra credit puzzle. This is top notch food for a carnivore, something a carnivore would really love. You will get the answer to the extra credit the next episode. And by the way, our intro phrase the one about the forgotten five dollars bill in your pants, that comes from puzzler listener Brandon Weathers, So thank you Brandon, and folks, if you have your own ideas for intro phrases, please go to the puzzler dot com and send them to us and we'll try to read them on air. And also one last bit of puzzler news. My new book is coming out soon on May seventh. It's called The Year of Living Constitutionally and it's about the puzzle of democracy. I attempt to follow the original meaning of the Constitution from seventeen eighty nine. We're talking muskets, quill pens, quartering soldiers. The pre publication reviews have been very kind. Booklist calls it fascinating and necessary and who am I to disagree? So please pre order The Year of Living Constitutionally if you can. It makes a huge amount of difference for the success of the book. The link is in the show notes on your podcast app. And get ready for some constitution theme puzzles coming soon. We'll meet here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hey puzzlers, Greg Pliska here up from the Puzzle Lab with the extra credit answer from our previous episode. Neaghine Farsade was our guest, and she played Television newte in which each answer is the name of a television news program with one letter changed. Your extra credit clue was this is a PBS investigative documentary series about the first half of a golf course, and that, of course, is front nine, one letter changed from frontline. After you finish your round of golf, you should turn on the puzzler and join us.