Speaker 1: It's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 1: It's awkward Tuesday phone call. How long should a normal couple go in their relationship before they have their first really big fight? What was it for you?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Six minutes?
Speaker 4: I actually don't remember our first fight. Yeah, I'm sure is that we're setting stupid though.
Speaker 1: A lot of times you're.
Speaker 5: Going so well the first month or two that you're like, oh, we haven't fought yet, and then all of a sudden you start fighting a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's hard to know it. I guess it depends on the couple. But one of our listeners, Sammy, wants to have a difficult conversation with her boyfriend, and she's worried that this could lead to their first really big fight together.
Speaker 4: She's anticipating a fight, okay, she's hoping that she doesn't get into one.
Speaker 1: That's why she wants some advice. So, Sammy, are you sure you emailed the right radio station about this?
Speaker 2: I think?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well tell us about your boyfriend and the situation you got going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I've been dating this guy, Cody. We were dating for three months and my old apartment lease ended and my roommate was going to move out, and so I couldn't afford the place on my own.
Speaker 4: Uh huh, okay, one of those romantic we moved in together stories.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, so I was skeptical because we you know, three months, like, but right then it really did seem like the best option financially. So I moved in and living together for three months now.
Speaker 4: And how's that? Because you really get to know somebody when you live with them, like way different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, okay, so I really really like him. He's a great boyfriend.
Speaker 1: But but.
Speaker 4: And we're not even dropping that. We're not even saying love, you're saying light huh.
Speaker 2: Are you it's been six months, like okay anyway.
Speaker 1: Okay, so not quite the.
Speaker 2: No. So it's kind of a smaller space like my other place was bigger, and I don't know, it's just causing some friction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you guys are sharing a bedroom too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not the problem now, Okay, like.
Speaker 1: You think that he would go sleep on the couch or something.
Speaker 4: I don't know. It's just nice to have like two bedrooms in an apartment if you're going to live with someone, even if you sleep in the same room. It's just like I'm just judging how much space, how much on top of each other they are her.
Speaker 1: What's causing the friction between you guys, Well.
Speaker 2: It's kind of what she's saying. It's the small space. And you know, he's just a typical guy, like little dirty.
Speaker 4: He has a different idea of clean than you do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, so he's not currently working right now, so it's not a his deal. But like he's just around a lot going home to someone already home.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I get it though, Like you went from having your own time, your own in space, and now you get none of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so when I first moved in with him, it was like a total dump, like mattress on.
Speaker 4: The floor, yeah, milk crate for the bedstand.
Speaker 1: It's a typical bachelor path.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And so like I came in and I liked that my stilmy chair, and I put I made it into a real apartment of decorations and things and reorganized it. Now it's really cute.
Speaker 1: And I separated all the silverware in the drawers into like different containers.
Speaker 2: He had silverware, I think he had like a floor.
Speaker 4: So what's what's your specific issue?
Speaker 2: Well, I just I feel like this isn't great for our relationship, and we're losing that exciting dating feeling we had that I feel like should last a little bit longer than this. And I'm just feeling like we're an old married couple.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I mean that always happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I feel like it usually doesn't happen this fast. And it's partly to do with us sharing the shiny space.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Yeah, you seem absolutely. I mean that's what you get when you move in with so unch.
Speaker 1: So what do you look at you? Are you thinking that maybe it's time that you get your own place?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we should live apart again. But here's the thing. I really love this apartment. It's a great location, it's perfect leat, and I kind of want to stay.
Speaker 4: It was his first he invited you in, and now you want to kick him out of the spot.
Speaker 1: Kick him out of his own apartment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean he's not really pain for it.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I've sort of made it into a real place.
Speaker 1: And Okay, so that's what this call is all about. You actually want to call your boyfriend and tell him I think you should move out to kick him out.
Speaker 2: I just think we should have space away from each other. And I'm not sure how to ask him to do this without causing a big fight.
Speaker 4: I mean, this could honestly, like it's a big question. It could end your relationship. I mean, do you have an idea for him because he's not working, Like, where is he going to go?
Speaker 2: Well, so recently one of his buddies that he needed a roommate. Oh and so I think that would be a good alternative.
Speaker 1: And if that guy doesn't want to take him, there's always his car. I'm sure.
Speaker 5: I just I'm scared because you always see people moving in. I've never seen people move out unless they were breaking up.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't want to break up with him. I just I think this would be better for me and better for us to have Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it sounds healthy.
Speaker 5: It's probably not gonna work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is going to be definitely an awkward one. We're going to play a song, we'll come back, we'll give you a little bit of advice, and then we'll let you call your boyfriend and tell him you gotta go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I'm gonna stay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we'll do it next. Hold on, it's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 1: It's awkward Tuesday. I'm curious. Has anybody here actually asked somebody that they were living with to move out before? To move out? Yeah? I know I did it once. You did yeah to my parents back when I was nine. I was like, this is okay, but it's not really working for me. You guys gotta go.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That did not work out so well for me. I had to go live out in the guest house next to the tennis courts for a while, and the TV in there was only forty two inches So really slummed it a long time to not go the way I want tennis. All the courts you have, they really were It was one of our listeners. Sammy is about to call her boyfriend to tell him, I know that you asked me to move in, but I think you should be the one to move out and we should continue dating still. Yeah, so she's hoping to get a little bit of advice. Brook, What do you think I mean?
Speaker 4: Have you thought about making this just a breakup call instead?
Speaker 1: Come on, I'm just asking her.
Speaker 2: No, I really like him, I just you know, it's too little space.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, Jose, Hopefully it's something better than consider breaking up with him.
Speaker 1: What do you think I was going to say, murdering? Oh like that more, no's messy.
Speaker 5: I think that if you frame it to make it sound like a great fun opportunity for him, then it'll be better. So, like you mentioned, his friend needs a roommate, I would say, you know, we're all getting older. This could be the last opportunity that you have to live with one of your best friends.
Speaker 1: Okay, because once you're married, you're never going to have a friend again.
Speaker 4: I think he's saying, speak to his inner child, Yeah to the thirteen year old immature boy that it sounds like is really close to the surface.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Sammy, Yeah, I think that's a good tactic.
Speaker 1: I did good mind, Hey, you earned your paycheck for the year work.
Speaker 4: I still worked. Yet I still think mine is not a bad option.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll call breakup option B. I'm going to dial his number right now and let you make your awkward Tuesday phone call. All right, good luck, we'll be here if you need us, we go, Thank you?
Speaker 3: All right? Could you please take me after calls? Please you?
Speaker 2: No? No, please, Dave, it's me, It's me. What see I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the numbers the numbers has blocked.
Speaker 2: Oh weird, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Let's yeah, okay, that's up.
Speaker 2: Nothing, Where do your drink?
Speaker 3: I'll just waved up to the bagel bites and I am watching Succession?
Speaker 2: Oh again, Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 3: You should watch it with me. It's incredible.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm pretty the hindsight, I don't know, but I uh, I sort of need to ask you something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, what's up?
Speaker 2: Okay? Do I like ever get on your nerves?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, this's a Dirk question.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just wondering.
Speaker 3: Mm no, No, I love kicking with you. It's awesome. No, but why why would you ask me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, okay, but do you ever wish you had more space, like so you could have more privacy or have your buddies over or whatever.
Speaker 3: I mean, you go out to work, so I get more than enough space there, so it's not a big deal. Yeah, let's go on.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, look, first of all, don't get me wrong. I still I love you. I love being your girlfriend. I love hanging out and having fun and laughing with you, like I don't want any of that to change. Okay, but but I need a space to myself at least right now.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, are you bringing up with me? No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I just think my money situation isn't the greatest. And your buddy Chad he was he was talking about he needs a roommate and maybe you could move them with him and I could make this my personal spot.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, what you want to kick me out?
Speaker 2: No? No, I I want you to leave by your own choice.
Speaker 3: What? No? No? Are you joking? Like I lived here first and then invited you in?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: What is that happen?
Speaker 2: Okay? At this point, most of the stuff in there is mine and I basically remodeled the whole thing. Yes, and I like it. Well, you know, it is not it is not a big space. It's a really really small space. So I just I think it'd be best not just for me, but for us.
Speaker 3: But this, okay, this really feels like a break of Sammy Not it's not.
Speaker 2: Can you just please consider it? It would mean a lot and really help.
Speaker 3: Look, I can't like what all right? How do I say this? I I never told you this before, but before we met, I got an inheritance from my grandmother and it was a good chunk of change, and I ended up buying this place and a few other properties. What yeah, so you can't really kick me out of my own house? O? Lord, Oh my god, what's what was that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: That was the sound effect that we played. Because you're on the radio right now, Cody.
Speaker 3: Sorry, who are you?
Speaker 4: What the hell is having where we congratulate homeowners?
Speaker 1: You're You're on with Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning, that's the show, and we're doing something called an awkward Tuesday phone call with you and your girlfriend Sammy.
Speaker 3: Okay, what the hell is going on? Tommy?
Speaker 5: That's what I want to know?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I just didn't know how to have this conversation, and.
Speaker 3: So you go to the radio station.
Speaker 4: Well we're helpful sometimes, are you.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if this is helping. What's what's going on?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: Okay, so what do you mean you own the place?
Speaker 3: It's not okay, it's not an apartment unit. It's technically a condo. I bought it a while back, so I'm still paying a monst of mortgage and I don't like five other places as well.
Speaker 4: Oh so you have options, I'm hearing he's rich. So wait, why didn't you tell her that before?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I didn't want her to think I'm some I don't know the rich trust on douche novels. So I was like, I just wanted to wanted her to like me for me.
Speaker 4: So that's why you've been able to like not work.
Speaker 3: I mean partially. Yeah. Yeah, so like and now she wants to kick me out of my own place.
Speaker 1: That's no, that's not what she said. She said she wants you to choose to leave on her own core.
Speaker 3: Oh, I see, I see, never mind, I take it back.
Speaker 4: I do think you're concentrating on the wrong thing. Like, she definitely wants a relationship with you. I even had suggested maybe you guys break up at the beginning, and she was very adamant that that is not what she wanted, right Sammy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I don't want to break that.
Speaker 1: But she is saying to you that she feels like you guys are kind of on top of each other in this small place and it might be hurting your relationship.
Speaker 3: A little bit. I mean, I don't deny that, but like, at the same time too, I'm looking at this as a long term thing, so I figured, why not see if we are compatible together in a situation like that, yeah, but you.
Speaker 4: Guys have only been together for three months. I mean, like when you moved in only three months together, that's really quick, really soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I agree, that's not conventional and it's it is a bit fast. But at the same one two, I also really like her. And you know, if you know what you like and you go.
Speaker 1: After it, well, she knows what she likes, and it's your place and she's going after it right now and hopefully you'll leave.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's think about this. This is my place and I own it. I can't really move out. She needs more space, so I don't know, maybe you could move in with Chad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think no, no, your friend. I don't I don't want. I mean like it was more the idea of, like, you get to live with your friend and do the things guys want to do when they hang out, and you know.
Speaker 3: Okay, look, look Sammy, I really like you. Okay, but if you feel this strongly that we need to you know, not be around each other, or I need to move out and whatnot, and then not like that you set me up for a phone call with the radio station, then maybe I was wrong. Maybe this isn't a long term thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, on friends, we can maybe I overreacted, and you know, we can probably live together a little more and just see how it goes. I don't know, I mean, and.
Speaker 4: Maybe Cody, you could just spend more time out of the apartment because it sounds like you never leave right now bes place. I've just tried to come up with a compromise. She just needs a little alone time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what if you split custody of the apartment. He gets to live there Monday through Wednesday and you get to live there like Thursday through Sunday.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, Why don't we just put a piece of tape down in the middle of the living room.
Speaker 4: You're a logical guy, like, you know, you could work harder on like the romance angle, since it feels like maybe she also feels like she's missing out on that newness right.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay, I'm done with that. I didn't think that I was being unromantic, I mean, but this is news to me.
Speaker 1: Just get used to being wrong in your relationship a lot.
Speaker 3: I'm biting that out now. Does the radio station call every time we can do an argument or.
Speaker 1: Will be there for the big arguments whenever you need it? Okay? It sounds like you guys are good though, you guys are going to stick together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just need to get used to it more.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That didn't sound like defeat.
Speaker 1: That sounds like love Brooks and I'm just I'm just gonna deal with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I apologize for living in my own home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you're sounding like a real boyfriend.
Speaker 4: Job.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Brooke and Jeffrey in the Morning