Speaker 1: Hello Puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast. This soothing ice pack at the end of your puzzle PT session. I am your host, AJ Jacobs. Before we start puzzling some exciting Puzzler news. The Puzzler Podcast was nominated for a Webby Award. These are the oscars for podcasts slightly more glamorous. I think I've never been. We were nominated for Best Lifestyle Podcast, so thank you listeners for getting us there. The Webbies are nominated by judges, but then the listeners take over and vote on their favorite. So if you have ninety seconds sixty seconds somewhere in there, we'd love a vote. We'd love your support. Link is in the show notes on the podcast app and now on with the show. Today's guest is the amazing Neaghine Farsade, comedian, writer, director, voiceover artist, host of the podcast Fake the Nation. Welcome Naghine.
Speaker 2: Hello, Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: We are delighted, and by we I mean me and Chief Puzzle Officer Greg Pliska, who happened to have written that line the intro line about the ice pack after PT because he has been doing PET on his leg but he's still able to write puzzles even with his knee injury.
Speaker 3: Welcome Greg, thank you. I've crawled up here from the puzzle. I'm glad to be limping around with you. Well, this puzzle, Naghine, is inspired by your film Nerd.
Speaker 2: Core Rising ooh okay.
Speaker 3: Which is all about nerdcore hip hop. And I'm curious what got you into that music. What was the inspiration for doing that film.
Speaker 2: I just I so, yeah, So I made this movie. It was my first ever movie, and it's a documentary. And I happened to be I was writing a musical called The Israeli Palestinian Conflict, a romantic comedy, and that musical went on just is something that you could probably not even perform now, but we went on years later to do to do that show at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and whatnot. And the guy who wrote the music, the wonderful Gobby Altar, is also in a nerd core hip hop band and he was in the band of mc front a lot, who's this incredible nerd core rapper. And I just thought I had never heard of this entire movement. I thought it was so interesting, and I said, someone should make a documentary about that, and I had a great time and yeah, and I also had to witness some magic the gathering that was also part of it.
Speaker 3: So perfect for nerdcore hip hop, there has to be some magic the gatherery in there as well.
Speaker 2: Always.
Speaker 3: What inspired us this is that nerd core is a word combines the words nerd and hardcore. It's like a port mashup of those two words. So what we've done in this puzzle is taken other words. These are actual words that end with the sound core, right, like nerd core does, and we've made up clues about what genre of music they might be. Okay, so these are real words, but not actual music genres. Nobody's making a documentary about these. We made them up. But like an example, I might say it's an American volunteer agency that provides aid around the world, and so that's a word or a phrase that ends with core, or it's a music genre that's all about an individual part of a jigsaw puzzle. And so the answer to that would be peace Corps. Right, the Peace Corps is the actual thing. And then if you just listen to the sound of that Peace Corps, it's the music about, you know, hip hop about peace is of jigsaw puzzles.
Speaker 1: So you can get it. This is when when Greg gives me cryptic clues. This is the same strategy. You can get it two different ways, because you can get it from the straight and voluntary or you can try to do the pun part at the back. So there are two approaches.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, yeah, because I'm gonna I'm gonna be honest. That one left me puzzled. But but yes, I think I think we can go forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, this is the hardest one. By the way, this is the easiest one.
Speaker 3: I don't know, let's see how it goes out. But just if you think of words that end with the core sound, whatever you might spell that, that's the key and the first half of the clue is always that word. So here's your first one. It's a subject for an interior designer, or it's a music genre that happens three hundred and sixty five times a year.
Speaker 2: This is so.
Speaker 3: What's a subject for an interior designer? Someone who comes to your home and worries about what.
Speaker 2: In your home? What are like feng shui? Oh good?
Speaker 3: But it ends with the core sound, right, the.
Speaker 2: Core sound, So they worry about they come in and they think about, oh, decor, decor. There you go.
Speaker 3: You got it from the music ango, I like that and sixty five days of decore daycre Yeah, all right, here's here's another one.
Speaker 2: It's funny because like interior designers can think of think about the gajillion things, I mean theoretically, so.
Speaker 3: You know, that's a very broad clue. They think about the fabric.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just like me criticizing your clue.
Speaker 3: I'm here for it, gin I can, we can this is this is otherwise.
Speaker 2: I think you're a great person. But that clue, my god.
Speaker 3: See if I can do better with the next one again, right, let's see it's a rating from experience or it's a music genre all about the list of people who worked on a film.
Speaker 2: Credits radio.
Speaker 1: Yes, so fast, so fast.
Speaker 3: So quick, so quick? Credit score or credit score.
Speaker 2: Credit score? Nice guys. Okay, this the ore sound coming in hot in different spelling.
Speaker 1: Well done, folks.
Speaker 3: So I'm one for one on the clues now, I think you that's a good clue.
Speaker 2: That was a good clue. Yeah, yeah, it was a good clue.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you're two for two. You've gotten both. But I'm just one for two. That's all right, I can I can take see if I can catch up on the next one.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: It's a tuna, uh or it's a music genre by the actress Jessica from Dark Angel in Sin City.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the actress Jessica from Dark Angel in Sin City is a sentence that I don't know any of it.
Speaker 3: Okay. She was also in Fantastic four, but that probably isn't going to help.
Speaker 2: You in this is where, this is where you wonder why did you direct the movie Nerdcore Rising. I let's see. I know, because I'm like ned, I'm not in the I'm not in the world in so many ways. Okay, what was the first other.
Speaker 3: Kinds of tuna? It's a tuna. It's a tun when you go to the store.
Speaker 2: Yeah, albacore, albacore exactly.
Speaker 3: Jessica Alba is the actress Alba.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, Jessica alb of course.
Speaker 1: Very good.
Speaker 3: Felt good, Yeah good, this is great, Assier.
Speaker 1: It's ezz listen, it's good. It's the struggle and then the aha moment. It's work, right, you live.
Speaker 3: For the aha moments. All right, I got two more for you, Okay, it's an extra song. It's an extra song at the end of a show, or it's a music genre that never turns off.
Speaker 2: Right, so it's an ooh, an extra song at the end of a show. Folks. I recently saw you two at the Sphere so oh cool h and they played an encore.
Speaker 3: Yes, you got it very good and you invoked the sphere.
Speaker 2: Hey, I just I had to throw that in there. I mean, that was like the last concert I saw in which I saw an encore.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm gonna give you one more warning. This is gonna be nerdy, but it's okay, you're gonna be all right. All right, it's the number eighty, or it's a Jedi's favorite music.
Speaker 2: The number eighty. Now, I mean, I feel like Lincoln once said, for score? Was it Lincoln? Wait? Was it Lincoln for score?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, or speA or a speech writer. You probably had a really good intern or.
Speaker 2: Something right right right, one of those like little you know, mid eighteenth century interns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So it's the number. It's four score, or it's force core a Jedi scab done the game. Yes, yeah, you got it all that?
Speaker 1: Was it five for five or six for six? Whatever it was you did beautifully? Where can people Well, first of all, they should, they should get the documentary. But in addition to the documentary, what else? What else can people enjoy you on?
Speaker 2: Folks? I mean you should subscripe to my podcast Bakes the Nation. It is available wherever podcasts are downloaded. And you can also read my book How to Make White People Laugh is available wherever books are sold.
Speaker 1: And it made this white person laugh. So thank you. Did you get some reviews like that?
Speaker 2: I would imagine it did. I got a fair number of exactly that one review.
Speaker 1: There you go, all right, Well, do you have an extra credit for the puzzlers at home? Greig?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 3: I do, And I've decided to save the hard one for the puzzlers at home. A Beast with the Body of a Lion, The Tale of a Scorpion and the Head of a Man, or music all about underwater rays?
Speaker 1: Okay? Is Google allowed? Because I feel I might need a little Google help.
Speaker 3: People are allowed to use whatever reference sources they wish. They're not being graded on this. It's just for their own fun and enjoyment. I never makes them happy.
Speaker 1: So there you go. Come back tomorrow and you will get the answer to that extra hard extra credit. And also in the meantime, please feel free to subscribe. We're not forcing you with your consent. Subscribe to the Puzzler podcast and we will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hi, puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska, your chief puzzle officer, here with the extra credit answer from our previous show. Nagine Farsade was our guest and we did some I rhymes pairs of words that look like they should rhyme but don't. The clue for the extra credit was top notch food for a carnivore, and that, of course clues great meat. Bring your great meat with you next time and listen to the Puzzler