Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling you can have because for the first time in your life, you're making a decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do. And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host with Sean McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe decide to your HM, it's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own keep winning. Welcome to Money Making Conversation. I am your host with Sean McDonald, and it's time to stop reading other people's success stories. I say that every time I start my show and start writing your own. I always tell people to leave with your gifts or your passion and don't let your age, friends, family, a coworker stop you from planning or living your dreams. The interviews I bring on money making conversations of people who are successful so we learn the secrets of their success. My next guest I've had on the show before made him during the pandemic watching Netflix. He's rodding this guy, rod This guy is James Beard, Award winning chef, pit master and founder of Rodney Scott's Whole Hog Barbecue, operated restaurants in South Carolina and Alabama. Rodney has continued to expand his acclaimed brand of South Carolina style barbecue and has been featured on popular TV shows including The Today's Show and Netflix hear Chef's Table Barbecue, among others. Their plans to expand it to Atlanta. We're going to talk about that because you know he come down to Atlanta. You knew I got to roll down there and give me some fixing. You know, it's barbecue, then there's fixing. Because I'm from the Houston, Texas, I know about them fixes. As well as two more locations in Alabama this year as well. He's here to talk about his first book, cookbook. I got it on my desk, rod This Scout's World of Barbecue Recipes and Perspective from the legendary pit master. That's my man right here. He's on the show. Please welcome to the Money make compsations. Rodney s guy, How you doing, Rodneck man?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. It's a pleasure to meet you. It's pleasure to be here, pleasure to speak to you again. Should I say? And uh, we've survived so far in this pandemic.
Speaker 3: Man, We're gonna get past it.
Speaker 1: Hey, Rodd, you know Man, I first called Man, I just saw your Netflix Man, and it was it was it was an interview of just joy because I got a slice of a humanized you. You know, you know, you know people in the kitchen, the chef, they barbecue and they some of them talk noise, some of them are humble and and just watching your story. Man, How what how? What was the impact of your appearance on that Netflix series Chef's Table Barbecue Netflix last year?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: That that that appearance on Chef's Table was a huge impact on our business, a huge impact on our staffs as well as me as an owner, co founder, a human being period.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's been an amazing ride. It kind of made me go.
Speaker 2: To the backboard, sit down and suck it all in, you know, take it in slowly and enjoy the moment because a lot of people they skip over it and I wanted to savor every moment.
Speaker 3: That I could. It changed my life completely.
Speaker 1: Well, it changed my life from a standpoint of just watching an African American man, because you know, it's really interesting how we look at business and how we look at what is success and what you can do because you're an entrepreneur, you're a businessman, and sometimes people see it'll see that lane. They just see you as a barbecue guy or cook or a chef. But you run a business, you employ people, and so you can get stereotype where people say, as a career, this is a career for you. This is a that you're making money, you you have boys, you have a beautiful wife, and you have you're sustaining a very positive lifestyle, and it's a career for you. So do you get caught up in the stereotypes of people thinking, oh, he's just a barbecue guy.
Speaker 3: I do get caught up as just being a barbecue guy. And I find it very.
Speaker 2: Amusing because people prejudge and underestimate what you know because of what they think they know about it. So it's kind of amusing to me for them to see different. For example, I walked in the restaurant one day and he thought I was cutting in lines, like where's this guy going?
Speaker 3: And then once they saw.
Speaker 2: Me go like behind the counter and everybody started saying, hey, Rodney, it was a totally different look. So, you know, I find a little bit of music and they kind of understand that you're not just a guy shoveling coals, that you're trying to grow a business, you're trying to grow a brand, You're you're trying to give.
Speaker 3: People opportunities to employment.
Speaker 2: They kind of see you a little different, and for me that's been a great experience. Again, I find a little amusing when they just think one thing and find out so much more.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, and watching that Netflix, heere your father saw you a little bit different because you had ideas and he didn't want to change and so and it wasn't until his illness that you were able to start implementing some of your ideas, which has led to the great success that you have now. Talk about that transition of being another person because that was his brain, that was his business. But you can get stuck in your ways and saying I've done this all the time works for me, Why should I change? And it's I guess it's open your eyes to being able for new ideas and to listen to other people as well.
Speaker 3: Correct, correct, you know, all of that's.
Speaker 2: Been an experience and a learning experience to see how my dad behaved and how.
Speaker 3: To carry myself.
Speaker 2: Trying to show people what we're doing and how we're doing it, and people.
Speaker 3: Get stuck in their ways.
Speaker 2: I get that, you know, they feel like if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But also I've learned that don't get so stuck in your way that you can't hear other ideas or hear other you know, possibilities of.
Speaker 3: Adjustments to what you do.
Speaker 2: So for me, it's been a learning experience going through what I went through with my father to learn how to carry myself better than I've been carrying myself, or the way that he carried himself with new ideas or creations.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, the thing about it is that he gave you a start, and that's that's the and I guess that's the blessing of your having a family that was in business, because we as African Americans, you know, we don't even look at it as as anything that's passed down to us. And this business was passed down to you. It was something you learned, but early on in life, you know, one of my favorite stories in Netflix was when we graduate from high school and the girl said, are you gonna do is just go down and cut up some maks? Yeah, and guess what, that's what you did midnight. You went down there cut up. But again, that's a stereotype, correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is that is a stereotype. You know, people underestimate.
Speaker 2: She she didn't see me doing anything else but just that, and uh, once she heard and saw.
Speaker 3: So many different things happening, it was she was amazed.
Speaker 2: And I don't think she even remembers saying that to me, because she sent me some congratulation notes a couple of times, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, I wonder, do you remember telling me that that day?
Speaker 2: And she's always been that extra influence to I'm gonna show you. I'm going to show you and everybody else who thinks like you. And to this day, that's that's my thought. You you're not gonna tell me what I'm gonna do. You're not gonna limit me on my dreams or the things that I or my goals period.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, and that's what we're talking about. Goals and come on, money making conversations. So many people have dreams, Rodney, So many people have aspirations of greatness grandeur, as they say, and but but then but that hard work is what you mentioned there, and you have you have sons. How do you implement that approach to you know, they see you? Because brother, in the end, them colds are hot and them barbecue pitchs are warm, and they're long hours turned out to get to this food that everybody savors or comes back and lines up for. How do they look? How do you how do you teach them hard work? But also they living in Like I told my daughter, I said, you you've never known not living in their conditioning. You know, you came you born in hospital, you came home in the air conditioning car. You've know an air condition all your life. So then your boys have known that same a conditioning. So because we know where the first you know, pitt Master Place was located at. So talk to him about your sons. That we're gonna get to the book after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I got three boys, and the youngest lives here with be at home, and the other two are older.
Speaker 2: Twenty five and eighteen, ones in Atlanta there and another one's still in Emuey, South Carolina, and the youngest one here with me, twelve years old.
Speaker 3: Just yesterday I was telling him.
Speaker 2: I was like, look, here's what we got to do to get to that great birth. You got first, we got to make sure the girls clean. You got to understand that there's labor involved. You got to get everything going before you enjoy the food. And I try to implement to him that it doesn't just fall in front of you on the table. You got to start. You got to got to put in some time, some efforts, some extra work.
Speaker 3: You can't play video games and all of.
Speaker 2: A sudden come downstairs at five forty five and be ready to eat. And I try to teach him the hard work, the fact that when I'm away from home, that I'm not on vacation. You know, we're trying to build things.
Speaker 3: And I try to teach him how to be a better man than I could ever.
Speaker 4: It's finally here, the season of celebration, And no matter how you celebrate with family and friends, whether you're preparing for res Magos or Keramu, lighting the manura or going to midnight mass, Coles has just what you need to make those traditions special. Plus you'll find gifts for all your loved ones. Send warm wishes with cozy fleeces, sweaters, loungewear, blankets and throws. Support minority owned or founded brands by giving gifts from human Nation and shame moisture, or treat them to everyone's favorite active wear from top brands like Nike, Adidas, and under Armour. And in the spirit of giving, Coles Cares is donating eight million dollars to local nonprofits nationwide committed to the health and well being of our communities. No matter how you celebrate, when you shop at Cole's, you're right there, you belong. So this season, give with all your heart with great gifts from Coals Orcoals dot com.
Speaker 5: What grows in the forest trees, sure, No. What else grows in the forest, our imagination, our sense of wonder and our family bonds grow too, because when we disconnect from this and connect with this, we reconnect with each other. The forest is closer than you think. Find a forest near you and start exploring. I discoverthforest dot Org, brought to you by the United States Forest Service and the ad Council.
Speaker 6: And we're live here outside the Perez family home, just waiting for the.
Speaker 1: And there they go almost on time.
Speaker 6: This morning, Mom is coming out the front door, strong with a double arm kid carry. Looks like Dad has the bags. Daughter is bringing up the rear. Oh, but the diaper bag wasn't closed. Diapers and toys are everywhere. Ooh, but Mom is just nailed the perfect car seat buckle for the toddler. And now the eldest daughter, who looks to be about nine or ten, has secured herself in the booster seat. Dad zips the bad clothes and they're off.
Speaker 3: Ah, but looks like Mom doesn't realize her.
Speaker 6: Coffee cup is still on the roof of the car and there it goes.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a shame. That mug was a fam favorite.
Speaker 7: Don't sweat the small stuff, just nail the big stuff, like making sure your kids are buckle correctly in the right seat for their agent's eyes. Learn more at NHTSA dot gov slash the Right Seat visits NHTSA dot gov slash the Right Seat brought to you by NITZA and the ad Council.
Speaker 1: Well, you know you're a great man. They look good in the suit too, they showed Netflix. Don't fool this young man walking around the shoe heet. Shoe fits him, jazz right, fitch him jazz right good has some brother. Let's get to this cookbook here, Rodney Scott World of Bobecue. Because Sue they you know, a big time Rodney. They sent me a book. Okay, sent me a book. So Sue's the book arrived. If if arrived ups all right. I immediately went to the corn bread. I go to the glacary all the time. And I said's boy, he country boy, this country boy. Because I go to your I went to your restaurant. I saw corn bread banana putting us on collar green. So I said, he better have the corn bread now. Or I went to the corn bread section. Man that that honey butter topping that you put on your corn bread. I made this the same day I got this book. And uh, because my wife, I mean, here's the funny thing about it, writing I don't use cast iron skill it. My wife always you need to learn how to use cast iron skilly, so she had so here's the funny part about it. So I took a picture when I made the corn bread right from and I put the put the honey buttery on top, and I cleaned up the cast ice skille it. It was in the background of my photo, so all she saw was I see that cast iron skilley behind you. I guess she went in our house and find it, because that made the difference, man, that cast iron skilly. Talk about this corn bread man, Like I said, I posted on my social media, got a great response. I'm gonna post some more stuff like the collar greens, I'm a bear, and get that blueberry corn bread. We're gonna talk about a lot of little minius and little recipes in there. But let's talk about that corn bread first off, because that was my love. Because I'm gona tell you some Rodney. I get excited because I'm an old school guy. I take some buttermilk and see butterbeilk comes in this corn bread. So it's a win win for me because normally I take that. I take some buttermilk, put in half a glass, sweet it up with sugar. Then I crumbled me some corn bread inside. That is outstanding for me. So I was happy, happy, happy on this. But tell us about this recipe and the cast irons killer man.
Speaker 2: So let me tell you about that that recipe. That cornbread takes me back to my childhood with my grandma. My grandma used to make that corn bread. She used to use Jiffy Nicks back in the day.
Speaker 3: In that corn bed used to be sweet and so tasty and thick. And you know, back then, she used to sometimes give us a little bit of a.
Speaker 2: Cane patch, sir, and it was this old school serrup that she would kind of put on the side every now and again. And man, you're talking about a good night at Grandma's house, right, that'd be some good eat. And I wanted that corn bread so badly. And we got with our chef, head chef, and we talked and I told him, I said, man, Grandma made this cornbread that was amazing. We need to develop this thing together. And we came up with that flavor. And before I tell you any more about the corn bread, I got to tell you my mom, my aunt, and my cousin who's ten years older than me, came in and they tasted that corn bread and they said, where did you get grandma's wrestling? So when I know that they were satisfied with it, I said, yeah, we were hitting home. We were hitting close to home, and you know, a cast iron skillet cooking that corn bread and cast iron. Still it is a lot easier in a sense because the heat is even all over and that thing just bakes right in there.
Speaker 3: Man, all that flavors in there. You add that honey butter to it.
Speaker 2: Oh man, you don't know what you're missing until you had that corn bread.
Speaker 1: I got, man, I'm just telling you something. Then you flip the script on the brother here the Roscos blueberry cornmeal pound cake. Yes, yes, I know you said this boy crazy. He just going through this book, just making everything. I'm telling you something, man, we're gonna talk about then don't get to the Colline greens. But let's talk about the Roskos blueberry. I had never heard that in my life, man, because you know, some people use that corn meal like you do, cornmeal and flour and just make the corn break all right, and that gives you that cake like because people are eating they go this take like cake. Well you got flour and with the corn meal. But then you flip the script man, with the blueberries. Come on, now, how did you think of that?
Speaker 2: Well, we were in Birmingham and Rosco worked for us at the with us at the Birmiham location, and one day we were just sitting here.
Speaker 3: Talking about it. He said, man, this thing is almost like cake.
Speaker 2: I said, yeah, Man, remind you that strawberry uh short cake used to get sometimes. And he was like, man, what about blueberries? He said, you like color blue?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do.
Speaker 2: So you know it, man, I said, just make it then let me know what you think. And he did and blow and behold.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, we're gonna put this in the book. We're gonna share this with the world. Let him know that this corn bread can come in several different ways.
Speaker 3: One of them is gonna be blueberry.
Speaker 1: Okay, And there you have it. You know, blue blueberries are sneaky, man, sneaky good. Because our blueberry pancake I love to death. You know. I'm not a guy that I can't just eat a blueberry, you know. But you put it in, You put it in this corn bread, you put it in this pancase. It's outstanding and so so so. You know, the thing about you, Rodney is that you're a visionary. Let's go be real about it. Let's you know, because you check an idea, you expand it because your father had a vision, but you expanded on that vision. Now you're expanding in it to other states and expanding your breath. What you trying to do? Take it the world? Barbecue man, what you trying to do? Try to be barbecue king, Sir.
Speaker 3: I am trying to take over the world. I'm trying to spread the love everywhere.
Speaker 2: Whenever you find a barbie, can you find people in a good mood, people having a party, people enjoying themselves. So I was like, why not spread this love all over the world as far as we can. You know, if it's me is absolutely great. If it's somebody else, it's just as good. You know, Let's let's put it in as many places as we can. And every time I think about should I do it in this state?
Speaker 3: Should I try it in that state? And I say to myself, why not, Just let's do it.
Speaker 2: And my goal is to spread spread this love, this Ridney Scott whole all love all over the world.
Speaker 8: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass, hosted by Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making conversations masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Speaker 3: And I hadn't stopped dreaming yet. You know, I'm gonna keep on dreaming.
Speaker 1: But the beauty of you now is that your celebrity. Okay, you know you walk down the street, people are recognized you walking, especially walking to you establishment. They so so so. Being a celebrity means you have a brand social media. You post things, people engage with that talk about that, you know, and that means other people have Everybody has a bright idea for you now. You know, back in high school then might have no idea for you at all. Everybody has a bright idea for you because you were just that that at riding hill in that box you're staying, he ain't got nothing. But now everybody got a great idea for you. How do you slice through that? Tell us about your team, your team that keeps you focused, to keep your organized and keeps your own point.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I got to tell you about my team.
Speaker 2: My team is amazing and we got age groups that's even better. You know, Nick mackis is my partner in this thing. You know, we came up with the idea. We sat at the table. He was like, let's create a Rodney Scotts and I'm like, man, you crazy, and little did you know that.
Speaker 3: I would ever do it like this, And we decided to do it. And along with Nick, his son Nicholas.
Speaker 2: And my man Paul Yack, our head chef, we put our heads together and we just kept coming up with these thoughts and ideas and they helped to keep me humble, to not worry about every little thing. You know, when I say, hey, man, I got to run over to such such place and check this, They'll say, I'll do that for you. We got that you take your time and focus on what you're doing. So they made it well rounded for me. Nick has this thing you call the balancing where you have yourself, your family, your finance, your business, your brand, and you got to balance that thing out.
Speaker 3: You know, you got to stay healthy in.
Speaker 2: Order to stay in this whole operation and enjoy it at the same time. So we all make sure that we balance ourselves, our personal lives and everything together. And this team that I have, they make sure that all of that's perfect for me. That my background with the restaurant and my personal life don't ever you know, one doesn't ever take over the other, right so they've they've been super great with that.
Speaker 1: You know, that's really that we talk about this, you know, and thank you again for coming on money making conversation talking to Rodney's guy. He is the king of barbecue.
Speaker 3: I know it.
Speaker 1: I got my boy Kevin Blessow in La. You know he ain't Rodney, this guy. This is my boy, right, rodery guy. He out there populating the states, the cities with the with the whole hall, the whole hall. Now tell us what is the whole hog? Come on with now, roder you brag about it. I see it on TV. I can tell you right now, I'm not messing with that whole hall. Tell us about the whole hog experience, why it is on fire, why it's popular when they go to these these barbecue shows, these competitions talk about the whole hall and then talk about South Carolina style. What makes that different?
Speaker 3: You know, that whole hog is. We like to describe it as a difference.
Speaker 2: You can taste and you know, you go to certain restaurants, you'll see that they have shoulders or hams, and that's not the whole hall.
Speaker 3: When you get the ham, the loin belly.
Speaker 2: Meat and some shoulder meat all mixed together and you put it in a bike. You you got that whole hog right in the palm of your hands. You're tasting every corner, every cut of that whole animal. And it's a different taste, and it is a difference you can taste. Once you taste the whole hog and you go back to a shoulder, you kind of understand what I'm trying to explain. And the way that we did it in South Carolina, we did the whole hog with vinegar and pepper.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 2: I grew up on the southeastern part of the state, closer to the coast, and vinegar pepper is the thing over there. And you know, we use the white vinegar, the crushed pepper, pepper flakes, and some people will call it black pepper, cayenne.
Speaker 3: Some sugar.
Speaker 2: That's basically a sauce that we put together in that part of the state. And in South Carolina, Man, you can go to him the way right now and say I need a whole hog cook twenty people might jump up and say I can do that. That's what we did in my area. That's what we did growing up. And you know, I've traveled in different places and people say, how do you cook a whole animal?
Speaker 3: I think they're.
Speaker 2: Amazed by it, And my whole thing is, Look, if you can't do it, I'll show you.
Speaker 3: Let me do it for you.
Speaker 2: And before you know it, they find out how many people can eat from it, how many ideas can go around it. You can put grits and pork together, you can build a taco with this thing. I mean, you got all these options with this whole hal So it's always been a treat and a big thing to do in my area. And when other people see it from different regions, man, they're amazed by it.
Speaker 5: Look through your children's eyes to see the true magic of a forest. It's a storybook world for them. You look and see a tree. They see the wrinkled face of a wizard with arms outstretched to the sky. They see treasure in pebbles, They see a windy path that could lead to adventure, and they see you, their fearless guide to this fascinating world.
Speaker 9: Find a forest near you and start exploring at Discovertheforest dot Orgon.
Speaker 3: Brought to you by the United States Forest Service and the ad Council.
Speaker 9: Hi everyone, Al Roker here as a guy with his own catchphrase. I appreciate that Smokey's only said.
Speaker 3: Only you can prevent wildfire.
Speaker 9: But I'm filling it because there's a lot more to report, like when they're parched or windy conditions out there. You've got to be extra careful with things like burning yard waste. After all, wildfires can start anywhere, even in your neck of the woods. Go to Smokeybear dot com to learn more about wildfire prevention. Brought to you by the US Forest Service, your state, Foster and the ad Council.
Speaker 10: Adoption of teams from foster care is a topic not enough people know about, and we're here to change that. I'm April Dinuity, host of the new podcast Navigating Adoption, presented by adopt us Kids. Each episode brings you compelling, real life adoption stories told by the families that live them, with commentary from experts. Visit adopt us Kids dot org, slash podcast, or subscribe to Navigating Adoption presented by adopt us Kids, brought to you by the US Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, and the ad Council.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, I'm amazed at because I'm from Houston, Texas. So I got a nephew here has a Bob if you stay at real popular called Big six Barbecue Houston. Text talented kid makes his own sausage and I tell him to follow you. I tell him what my mayor Rodney watch what he does, and he's he's doing very well in the Houston market. Now, but back to you in regards to what I see you. Do you expanding now in Atlanta market? Now, you just skipped all over with to Birmingham. You know you were from South Carolina, skipped over Georgia and in Alabama. Now now we sit down here in Atlanta. Now, I'm kind of wondering when I'm gonna get the whole hog experience, when I could just drive to it, not just order via mail or ups or fed X. Tell us what Atlanta experience? Talk to us now, brother, when you're coming right now, Atlanta, Atlanta. I'm trying to get to you as soon as possible. I've been trying to get there since last year.
Speaker 3: But here we you know, here's a new year where we're coming.
Speaker 2: We're a lot closer, hopefully by this summer, well counting on July. If we're lucky to have things open at sixty six eight Metropolitan Parkway. The building is looking great. Most of the construction is in where we're trying to get the windows in the furniture going.
Speaker 3: And those guys are out there. They were getting.
Speaker 2: It and this was last week when I checked on them, so they're making some progress. So we're trying to get that whole hog to Atlanta at least by the summer, hopefully no later than July.
Speaker 1: Now now, can one order things on the mail or through fad Eggs? So do you ship talk to tell us about the whole operation now, I know you're based in South Carolina and Alabama. Can we order to go online and order things get delivered to our house.
Speaker 3: You can order our food online, not our food.
Speaker 2: Itself, I'm sorry, but our rubs and our sauces are available online now. Our t shirts and some hats is what we have available online right now. We're trying to work on that process seeing about getting the food kind of where you can order it and with shipping to you.
Speaker 3: Overnight.
Speaker 2: But you want to make sure though. You know a lot of times that when when you send your food out, you wanted to be right. You don't want it to be shipped out there and you're not ready for it.
Speaker 1: Right right. You know that's very true because it's like the experience, because you know it's a lot of people are microwave your your barbecue.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Oh it's tough, you know, and because you got to tell people how to do it. You know, you got to put in the other put a little water underneath it, you know, make sure it stays juicy and stuff like that. But you you send it across, you know they're gonna microwave, They're gonna zap it. They're gonna zap it, and then they're gonna go get some of that barbecue salted. A guy from Kroger's not saying, Bob, you know that ain't your sauce. Next thing, you know, they got that on that So you trying to maintain the right stuff because of the fact that that sauce. Now, I'm gonna tell you right before my interview, I dropped in a baked potato. See, I'm just telling I just love this book. He has a book is the Loaded Baked Potato. I dropped because they're gonna stand there for an hour put it in a four hundred degree Let me tell you how I do it, and so but I do. But now you the great thing about it is that in your book, you tell us how to make the ride this white barbecue sauce. Tell us about that white barbecue sauce. Then I'm gonna put on this tape.
Speaker 3: Come on now that riding is white barbecue sauce.
Speaker 2: It was like, Hey, you plan to go to Alabama, you need a white sauce.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, man, you know, we'll get to that bridge when we.
Speaker 2: Cross it, you know, And all of a sudden we decided, you know, can we make a twist on this sauce? And I was like yeah, And we decided to make a white sauce with the South Carolina touch to it. And you know that sauce is great on chicken. And then Alabama's where I learned that white sauce is great on chicken. And the first thing I said was we got to have something for the person that loves white sauce.
Speaker 3: And here it is, man, and we put it in the book.
Speaker 1: Man, and then uh, and then I closed. I got to clothes. Well, first I want to tell people it's a cookbook and it's a story, and so I do. I just been staying on the recipe side of it, but it's also a great reader about your life, the important people in your life, the transitional moments that you had in your career. Why was it important not to do a cook book kind of like memoir? It kind of like that's what it really is if by different perspectives in your life that were very important to who you are today instead of just doing a basic cookbook.
Speaker 2: Rodney, Well, you know we were writing this cookbook my man lolus erk Eli hats off to this man. He walked me through the steps of helping me write this book, and we were just we're just going over everything, and I said, you know what that recipe at that time had to do with me being a child at this age, and we started telling a story about each recipe and then telling that.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, but that I remember that.
Speaker 2: Day didn't go as great, and before you knew it, we were talking about my complete childhood and he was like, wow, you know you're going to tell this story and I said yes, And all of the things I've experienced, good, bad, ugly, I said, I think the world should know that, you know, these are things that I've been through. Maybe somebody else has been through the same thing, and hopefully they can learn from this and feel better about their situations, to move forward, carry on, to be optimistic about whatever things you encounter. So I decided to tell my story, and I have absolutely no regrets in telling everything that's in that book.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing about the beauty of this book is that a little little background about me this then, you know during the pandemic is where I met you during the pandemic during an interview on money making conversation. I bought a building in Atlanta and this one acre of property, and my one in my dreams was I wanted to have my own vegetable garden on my property at my office because I got a built in kitchen and I'm launching my show next month called Rushawn's Kitchen. So you know I'm gonna cook a lot of repispedes. And when I cook your recipe, I'm I have your book sitting right there. Tell everybody this came straight out of Rodney Scott's World of Barbecue book right here credit given. That's how I do it on my show, and so I have I got letters back there. I got to chair and the beef steak, tomatoes, I got oprah back there, I got seedless water morow seedless watermelons. I got my parsley, and I got my cilantro, and I got my collage greens. So in my hallopenoons, can forget the halopens yellow and white angles as well for my peak because I'm a text next food now. So when I saw your book and I saw collar greens, I just smiled knowing that I'll be pulling my collar greens right out my back of my building. Brouh whoo. I will tell me Rodney, you said, did you put the rodney the sauce on top of the collar greens? Tell us about that, man, Come on, brother.
Speaker 2: So me, growing up as getting collar greens was not one of my favorites. So I always I always wanted to uh uh stay stay true to the barbecue game and the sides that come with the barbecue game. And my partner Nick was like, hey, dude, you gotta put colli.
Speaker 3: Greens on this menu.
Speaker 2: I said, dude, I'm not a fan of collar greens, and he says, how do you how do you know if you never had your greens?
Speaker 3: You need to create a flavor that you enjoy.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, man, I'm telling you I don't like no collage greens, but I tried it so many times growing up, and he said, well, look at the list of ingredients that we think that you should.
Speaker 3: Put in there.
Speaker 2: And I looked it over and I was like, you know, I'll try this thing, And before you know it, I tasted those greens with that sauce in that pork and I said, you know, I could do this, and I was surprised. The first time I ever tasted it where people could see was on that chef's table, and I was like, oh, man, okay, I've been missing out on these collar greens for a lifetime. And I said, we need to put this in the book. We need to put these greens in there. And they smell like the way my mama used to make them.
Speaker 3: They I guess they taste like my mama would make thems.
Speaker 1: Got the ham hocks in there, yes.
Speaker 3: Sir, you know, put that whole hamm up in there, you know. And when we did it like that, I was like, Okay, these these are not so bad.
Speaker 2: And I wanted to make sure and put him in there to hopefully inspire some kid to taste those collar greens growing up.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you some man right there and enjoyed talking to you. I also got some cabbages playing it out there. So I'm gonna do the cold slaws in the book too. So you you already know I'm gonna be This book gonna be like kind of dirty when I finished with it, you know, after the summer.
Speaker 2: That's what I want. But I want some memories in there, you know, I want some memories for you. And that book not just nice and pretty on the shelf. Open that thing up.
Speaker 1: Well you know something, brod there. I always enjoyed talking to you the second time, right, you feel like a friend.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: That's why I can't wait till you open the place, man, so I can come down and come to come out of my office and I show you for real that I wasn't joking, and show you my guarden and show you my kitchen. And I said, I'm gonna make the corner, bro make your corn bread right in front of you. And that cast ice is kill it. Because that's a blessing to be able to have somebody's talented you that you can show off, he said me showing off to you. You know I can do this, brother, You know, Thank you, brother, Thank you. But more important than man, your books are Rodney Scott's World of Barbecue. Thanks for coming on Money Making Conversation again, Rodney.
Speaker 3: Oh Man, thank you for having me. And I'm gonna have to come by that office and let you do the cookie.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, don't worry about that. Thanks so the fried chicken with the pepper and come on for the This book, kid is crazy good. It's crazy good. And I forgot to talk about the banana pudding, but we ain't gonna talk about that. We ain't gonna talk about that because this is in the book. All right, y'all. If you want to hear any of our interviews, I'll see it I interviews. Please go to money Making Conversation dot com on with Sean McDonald. I am your host.
Speaker 11: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Sean McDonald is produced by thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight to fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts distinctest, Distinctest