Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Fantasy Bros. NFL Draft Show.
Speaker 2: I'm your host Derek Brown and with me as always the Minnesota Madman himself, thor n Ice stream And on today's show, we are gonna dive deep into the tight end class.
Speaker 1: We're gonna wade.
Speaker 2: Into the waters of these options that can block and not only perform as receivers or Dude, we kind of buried this.
Speaker 1: I mean we've we've.
Speaker 2: Had shows of John Middlecoff, We've talked quarterbacks, we've talked running backs, we've talked wide receivers, and now we're at the tight ends, baby, so we get to shits love them on brock Bowers today.
Speaker 3: Man, you hyped, I'm very hyped. Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, we tease this a little bit during the middle Coff episode and during that and if people haven't haven't listened to that yet, please go back and listen to it. We had a great hour with John, but we started talking about some of these tight ends and tease that we are gonna be.
Speaker 3: Doing this next week.
Speaker 4: This is the week and we are about to deep dive that tight end class and very excited to do.
Speaker 2: It, absolutely man, and look at per usual. So we're gonna dive through the top ten of this class per NFL Mock Draft Data dot Com. So starting this off, baby, the top well, I'll put it this way. The bottom four of this top ten are I'm not gonna say they're polarizing, but I think they have various levels of fantasy utilities. Some of these guys stand out, and I don't want to take too much time because the top six of this class is really the meat and potatoes, or if people are looking for the guys that can really ascend to being a second or maybe third option and a passing attack, those are the guys we really want to kind of stretch our legs on. So we're gonna bring up this top ten of this class, run through tight end seven through ten, and kind of talk about really quickly where we have.
Speaker 1: Them ranked and what we see for them in the NFL.
Speaker 2: So tight End ten starting this off, Jared Wiley out of TCU Tighten nine per consensus is jaheem Bell. Tight End eight is the blocking maestro himself. Aj Barner out of Michigan. Tight End seven is Daln Hulker out of the four guys, who do you think has to be talked about here?
Speaker 3: Dylan Holker.
Speaker 4: I think for me on my rankings, he is the guy that is outside those six You know that you just brought up as being the really interesting ones in this tight end class, But I think Holker, outside of that is the one that fantasy guys need to keep an eye on. He's headed for an h back role in the NFL. Six foot three and a half two forty one six point zero seven raz I know that he has the skill that is very apparent on his tape. The question becomes does he have the physical ability to become moving the needle as a pass catcher in the NFL, which is what we would care about from a fantasy perspective. He is not explosive, He's slug is changing directions, and he needs some space to build up to his top speed.
Speaker 3: He's also one of the class's oldest players, so that's that's the downside. The upside is the skill part. I was talking about.
Speaker 4: Extremely skilled, specifically for our purposes, catching them. That is the thing that he does the best. He attacks it at its earliest point. He fluidly transitions into running. He's one of those guys he'll catch it, doesn't lose momentum. When he's on the move or when he makes himself available to the quarterback in zone, just quickly transitions to being the runner and he starts breaking tackles. That so, even you know, with the lack of quote unquote lack of athleticism, he's a tackle breaker. He also will catch the ball in within a crowd, very very good concentration. Last year ten contested catches for Hulker. That was two more than any tight end in this draft class. He's not a bursty mover, but he is an efficient one. He understands efficiency of footwork. For instance, he does the best with what he has. His routes lack snap in pizazz, but he augments that with tempo changes, upper body deeks. You know, it reminded me a little bit of watching from the receiver class Ricky Piersaw and all the stuff that he does changing tempos and then deaking the hell he'll do head deeks.
Speaker 3: He will, he will deak his shoulders and then he'll go the other way.
Speaker 4: Just anything he can do to sort of set the defender up to think he's going a different way than he's actually going. And then the clever footwork that is how Holker buys separation. And while he's small, there is a quirk about his physical dimensions that I think needs to get talked about a little bit more with regards to the receiving skill. Again the kids only sixty three and a half two forty one, and again, you know, not super athletic, but he has very very long arms, especially.
Speaker 3: For someone who is that size.
Speaker 4: In fact, he has the longest arms of any of my tight ends, ranked in the top fifteen on my board. And you know, you're talking about some big dudes there, right, I mean, like we're I mean including Brevin span Ford, the six almost seven, two hundred and sixty pound Guy Barner six foot six, Tip Raymond, you know, sixty four and a half two seventy one, Wiley six to six. He has longer arms than all of them, which gives him a bigger catch radius, which plays up Hulker's greatest strength again, those ball skills. He has really really good hands and he's fluid at that catch point. So between having that that, you know, the longer than he has like a catch ratius of an octopus.
Speaker 3: So he and he's gonna catch the.
Speaker 4: Ball, gonna transition into a runner where he is very effective and I think as a blocker he's at least a gnat like and he's also he's good space blocking. Any guy who is around his physical dimensions are lower, he's going to get them blocked for you. He is obviously not an inline guy. He would get ragged all by power edges in the NFL. That is why he has to be the age back guy. But for an offense that uses twelve personnel and then and then throws to that age back guy likes to shift that dude a round and then and then get him involved in the routes.
Speaker 3: I think Hulker could play at that and.
Speaker 4: I think he is skilled enough where he could play early on as a pass catcher in the NFL despite his physical limitation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that you brought up the physical limitations and his dimensions. I mean, the dude has thirty three and five eighths inch arms. That's seventy seven percentile that's like talking about Just to put that in context for people, he has the arm length of an NFL guard, almost to the extension of being an NFL tackle.
Speaker 1: That's how long this dude's arms are.
Speaker 2: So that really shows up as far as like on his film when he's catching balls outside of his frame and the catch radius itself. Now, I'll push back a little bit because I did find this interesting when I was watching him yesterday in preparation for this show. He is not an athletic freak by any stretch of the imagination. I mean that shows up on a twenty fourth percentile ten yard split, but where you do see as an underneath weapon, Like, I don't think he's ever gonna be a massive YAC weapon. I don't ever think he's gonna be a guy that we're asking to or an NFL team is asking to stretch the seam. But can he operate as an underneath weapon on out screens versus his own Because while most of his testing metrics weren't fantastic, he did log a ninety fourth percentile three cone and an eighty third percentile twenty yard shuttle, So there is some short area quicks there to work with at his size that would allow him to be deployed in that way. But again, is he going to be a guy that's generating a ton of mistackles forced? No, is he going to generate a ton of yac.
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Is he going to stretch the seam. Probably not. If he does that, I promise you a linebacker or a nickel is going to be in his back pocket. That's a guaranteed. But is a guy like look, he has a strong set of hands man, so like I think he's probably like where do you think he goes in the NFL draft? Or probably what brown five? I'm guessing I was going to toss up five?
Speaker 4: And if he already to the point about that, you know the three con in the shut out. The thing that I saw about his routes where you know, with the change of direction, that perhaps it becomes just a thing more that he needs to work on as opposed to something he's not capable of. I see at the route break, those kind of routes that you're talking about. I see more rounded route breaks from him, and perhaps that isn't you know. I was talking about the overall efficiency of his movement into routes off the line getting into it like that.
Speaker 3: But that's one.
Speaker 4: Where if you do have that change of direction, we need at that moment for it to start getting precise and then break that thing off flat.
Speaker 3: We want the clean corners like origami.
Speaker 4: We don't want that rounded stuff anymore, because that's one thing we're in the NFL.
Speaker 3: You were able to get separation despite that. In the MWC.
Speaker 4: This is one area where all of a sudden, that could start going away if he doesn't improve on that.
Speaker 3: But it's a great context to a point.
Speaker 2: No, I definitely agree, man, you do not see explosiveness in and out of his routes. And I adamantly agree. The other guy out of this group that I want to highlight here is Jeem Bill and I've seen a lot of stuff out on social media thor like I've talked about him.
Speaker 1: We talked about him before.
Speaker 2: We went to Senior Bowl and I said, look to you and I were on a phone call and I said, Jahem Bell is really interesting man. Like his analytical profile jumps off the freaking page in two of the last three seasons. This is a guy who has finished top twenty and what I care about as far as receiving utility thirteenth in yards per out run last year eighteenth and PF for receiving grade twenty twenty one, he was top ten in both.
Speaker 1: Of those metrics.
Speaker 2: You look over the last three years, minimum of twenty targets he is ranked inside the top twelve in every single season in yak per reception and mistackles forced. So there is a skill set that could translate to the NFL. My question at his size and dimensions, because I'll give this Jahem Bell's agent and the people representing him and stuff like have done a pretty good job of kind of like the variants and where his measurements have been. Has he been consistently weighing in and like somewhere in the two forty range. Yes, his height is where I've got questions. Man Senior Bowl, he measured in at six ' one and some change, like almost six to two, but not he goes with the combine and apparently he grew a few inches, well not inches, but partially like he he measured in at six to two.
Speaker 1: The reason I bring.
Speaker 2: This up, dude, is because if you look back over years and years and years of the NFL asking a guy at this at these dimensions to be a standout receiving option, you're asking him to be an outlier from the word go, and can he do that? Because he got used in the slot, he got used out wide, he can run routes. He's a tough guy to bring down in the open field, so there is receiving utility to like there. But look at this, lord, let me just toss this satu man at since nineteen sixty six, all tight ends that are six foot two or shorter and way anything south of two hundred and sixty pounds. Okay, the number of guys that have finished their career with at least ten PPR points per game. Looking at this from a fantasy angle and talking about what because that's what he's being talked about, him and the fantasy lens and his receiving upside. The only four guys to finish their career with at least ten point seven or higher PPR points per game are Aaron Hernandez Carol Dale who in nineteen sixty six, nobody's gonna know who that name is, Jordan Reed, and Shannon Sharp.
Speaker 1: So it's you're.
Speaker 2: Asking Jaheim Bell if he hits at the NFL, to be somewhat of a unicorn, and I don't know if he can do that. That's asking a lot. So I'm not telling people that he cannot do it. I'm also not telling people that he doesn't have a lot of things in his analytical profile and the physical testing to like, but still we have to contextualize as a player at his size playing tight end. If he hits, could it be magnificent. Possibly, But we're talking about a span since nineteen sixty six, four guys hit that. Four guys, so it's not like we have a huge sample to work with. So yes, if he hits, he will be an outlier. All right, So we kind of lopped off the bottom end of this class. Tight end seven through ten. There the guys that stand out. And look, no, I didn't talk about aj Barner. I think he is gonna be a fantastic blocking tight end, but I don't see a lot of receiving utility at this second. The next level for him. One of our favorite prospects, though, is up next baby. He's on deck tight end six per consensus is Eric All. And both of us like, look on my Guys episode which I Mettlecoff. People are gonna go check that episode out. You and I were fighting before that show about who was gonna get to talk about Eric All in his illustrious career. I'm gonna let you lead this off man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Eric a guy who comes from Michigan initially one tight.
Speaker 3: End factory that we have in college football.
Speaker 4: Then he transferred to Iowa, the other big one that we got in the Midwest tight end factory, and in so doing we got to see him in a couple different roles and he excelled at both of them. When he was on the field at Michigan prior to going to Iowa, he was the move guy and they would move him around and then target him in the passing game. And then Iowa he played straight in line and again was good deployed as both. I love the receiving utility with Eric All, and I think that's where for fantasy guys you can get excited about him. This tight end class, we always talk about brock Bauers, and then the way it was heading into the process, it was like, you know, it's Bowers obviously tighten one with a bullet. Then it's Jatavian Sanders tight end two with a bullet, and then it's like, then we have a couple guys that are vaguely interesting, and then no one else you need to pay attention to.
Speaker 3: Eric All was not.
Speaker 4: Talked about much, and you and I obviously disagreed with that. Eric All, he's a guy where contact explains the reason why his career in college didn't go maybe the way that otherwise he had the physical ability to do. He obviously had an ACL tear in October of his first, you know, last year at Iowa, and he also had season ending back injury at Michigan in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: And that thing.
Speaker 4: Not only did the twenty twenty two back injury cut a season early that year as well, but it also led to his departure from Michigan. There was a disagreement about the back surgery that he ended up having. Eric All elected to have that, you know, and of course that's what cut it the season short. Then he ends up leaving because you know, in part because of this disagreement, we don't know exactly what was operated on when he had that back surgery. It's one of those things as the public, you know, you know that he had that he had that surgery, but you don't know exactly, you know, what was done inside of there that that would be interesting to know.
Speaker 3: Of course, teams NFL teams is.
Speaker 4: Medical department will know that, and that's something where it's going to inform the risk of re injury going forward. Is this something that is constantly going to be with him. Is it something that's theoretically possible to totally get over. If it is and he is going to be healthy in the NFL, I just tell everyone out there right now, Eric Hall will be the steal of this tight.
Speaker 3: End class if we knew that he was going to.
Speaker 4: Be healthy, because this guy has the athleticism, the body type, and then the receiving skill. Those three things very few tight ends in this class can match. You're obviously Bower's at the top. Then you start talking about the other guys in those three categories. Eric All already is right dying near at the top of it. And you know, you see this with east Side at Michigan. You've seen it last year at Iowa when he was on the field, you know, and even go back to twenty twenty one, he had thirty eight catches, four under thirty seven yards in two touchdowns in his.
Speaker 3: Last year at Michigan was fully healthy.
Speaker 4: But going all the way back to twenty twenty one, love his combination of size, speed, feet six four and a half two point fifty two. De bro You can tell him in a second about the guys on tape that you have seen him out run and what they're verified forty times are trying to gage eric All's forty time because obviously he didn't get the pre draft tests. But I also I think he would have tested very very well in the splits. I think he would have been one of the faster tight ends in this class. He also is an you know, we were talking about Hulker and the thing about the change of directions and then how that manifests at the rout break.
Speaker 3: Eric All, you don't have to question that at all.
Speaker 4: He's a quick direction changer who accept and this is very important for gaining separation, especially heading into the next level when you start to project it. He accelerates quickly out of those route breaks and returns to top speed very quick again for a tight end and that stuff you're looking for, especially in this down tight end class. You can obviously line them up everywhere. One little nippick because he does have some concentration drops on film, but that's about all I got.
Speaker 3: With his ball skills, he has very good ball skills.
Speaker 4: And then the other thing he lacks the play strength as far as projecting maybe full inline duties at the next level, although he does give you effort as a blocker.
Speaker 3: It's just one of those things. You know.
Speaker 4: Again, the bigger power edges could have their way with him, But I think you could have him a deployment partial time, inline partial time. You can put him in the slot if you want to, for five percent of the snaps you kick him all wide as well. There's no problem with that. You can also have him as a lead blocker. I mean, that's a guy you can motion into the backfield if you want. If on a given play you want to have a lead blocker going up into the hole get some short yardage. I think that this guy is a big time sleeper.
Speaker 2: D bro, dude, He's one of my favorite players of this class. I want to put some major respect on Rik Hall's name. And I'm gonna throw this this take out there at thor and we have not talked about this coming on. Before we turn the mics on and stuff, I want to tell the people out there right now, if Eric All would have been fully healthy and not torn his ACL this year, he would be the unquestioned, undisputed tight end two.
Speaker 1: Of this class.
Speaker 2: And people might people might find that spicy man. But here, just let me run through this and then if you're listening to this episode, you can ee roll all you want to at that take. Just sit down, pour yourself a drink and listen to this. Before Eric Hall left last season with an injury with the ACL tier. Before being sidelined, he was seventh in receiving yards amongst all tight ends. He was eleventh in this tackles forced you look at the last two seasons where he played and saw at least twenty targets, So not twenty twenty two because of the back injury. Twenty twenty one and twenty twenty three he ranked top ten in yards per route run amongst all FBS tight ends with at least twenty targets in both of those freaking seasons. Thore you look at last year before, or at least last year in its totality overall. And this is a metric that I brought up. If people want to go back and think about why were we so high on sammy ballgame, why were we so high on Sam Laporta's game, and transitioning with a receiving utility to the NFL. People are getting tired of hearing this metric out of my mouth, but it translates and it's real dude.
Speaker 3: Eric All.
Speaker 2: Last year amongst all tight ends with at least ten man coverage targets, he was first in yards per out run against man coverage, eighth in PFF receiving grade against man coverage. He can win on the slot or if you bump him out wide. He has a move tight end. He has a weapon. And yes, to your point, we don't have athletic testing. But if you go back to the film and the thing that I threw out on X and I tweeted this out, so Peven go check it out, man, kaylan King, if you go back into twenty twenty one versus Penn State, and I know this is very nitpicky, but we're trying to understand what type of athleticism this dude has because obviously with the ACL he's not able to test. In twenty twenty one, he took a screen pass and burnt Kaylan King to the corner and started pulling away. Why does this matter? Kaylan King ran a four to six one at the NFL Combine and in high school at his pro day he ran a four or five two. Now say what you want about pro day times. We bashed him on the show. They can be look taken with a grain of salt. But even if we take it at the basement market value of okay, it's a four to six. So we're saying Eric Hall was beating a corner in the open field and pulling away from him. That runs a four to six tried and true tested. If you want to bump that out to a four or five, okay, fine, But what we're talking about here is Eric Hall with.
Speaker 1: This in using this as context.
Speaker 2: Would have what for four six speed at his basement four to five, probably maybe even four to four if he dropped a little bit of weight.
Speaker 1: I don't think any of that's impossible.
Speaker 3: King at the very worst is four six flat.
Speaker 4: Even if we think that there was big time exaggeration there and Eric Hall is faster than Kaylin King, yes, just watch it, watch it. It's right there. This is not like an opinion. Kaylen King had his shot and he lost a foot race to Eric Hall exactly. And deebro like to the point about the forty time, the guy that we talked about in this class who had the best testing with the tight ends of these half guys, Theo Johnson, ran a four to five to seven. I'll tell you this right now. If Eric Hall had tested the same day THEO Johnson would not have had the fastest forty time of those titles. He was beating a four five seven for sure. Would it have been low four fives or would it would it have been mid four I don't know, but it would have been better than four five seven I can tell you that for sure. And Deebro, you did a great job of introducing some of that context. Let me give you a little bit more more just to show how impressive it was the numbers that Debro just mentioned last year at Iowa. And Debro, you remember we went a lot into the context of the Iowaha guy offensive situation environment when we were.
Speaker 3: Talking about Samy ball game a baby.
Speaker 4: It's not pretty and I hate to do it as someone who went to Iowa, but you have to give the context to show people how impressive it was what Eric Hall was.
Speaker 3: Doing his first six games in that system.
Speaker 4: Iowa last year, they averaged one hundred and eighteen passing yards per game per game, Debro, their completion percentage as a team. As a team was forty eight point nine percent. Lord, You look at the average yards per catch of their top guys. So the top receivers eight point two yards per catch, six point two yards per catch, nine point eight yards per catch. So that was the top three Iowa receivers in terms of catches. Eric Hall fourteen point two yards per catch on an offense that's stunk with quarterbacks that couldn't get them the ball. The guy who came in and then was playing the whole season is Deacon Hill guy. He ends with eleven hundred and fifty two passing yards, four point six adjusted yards per attempt, and a five to eight td I and T rate. Eric Hall was making stuff out and nothing. Who does this remind you of mister Laporte the year before. Now they're different players for sure, but eric All was brought in to be that we are losing the source of our offense. We need to find a guy who will be that for next year. Because obviously the quarterback ging wasn't gonna be changing too much. The quality of it, at least, the offensive line was more or less the same.
Speaker 3: The running backs were the same.
Speaker 4: They were like, we need to get eric All, and he was for those first six games.
Speaker 3: Still he got injured in the seventh one.
Speaker 4: That on the surface, it might not look as impressive you put it in the context where it occurred, and then you know what he did at Michigan. You know the kind of recruit he was. You see the kind of athlete he is on the field. We don't need the pre draft testing. This guy, huge sleeper. Like I said, dude, I love him.
Speaker 2: He's my favorite tight end of this entire class. Both where people are gonna be able to like, our NFL teams are gonna be able to draft him.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna throw this on top.
Speaker 2: I have not heard your comp for Eric all but I'm gonna I'm gonna lay this into your thor. I'm gonna use a former Iowa player as my comp. And it's not semi ballgame, man, but it is no offense.
Speaker 3: Oh I like that. I like that one. What in fact are you going to steal that one? I might steal that one live on air. That that that's really good?
Speaker 4: So so right now I got us, But I feel yeah, no, no, fan is better.
Speaker 3: That's what's occurring.
Speaker 4: All right, I'm stealing that one right now this typing, you're about to hear that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely love this because this happens on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: Off air. So I love the fact that we actually capture this on air.
Speaker 2: But speaking of things that you need to be capturing and diving into, man reality sports all line.
Speaker 1: By now, I know.
Speaker 2: Most of you have probably already heard of Reality Sports Online, the powerful fantasy platform where owners get to build and manage their fantasy teams just like an NFL general manager. But have you tried it? It's time to go see what all the buzz and the dynasty community is about. Free agency, multi year contracts, a rookie draft, multi team trades, franchise tags, contract extensions, first round rookie options, automated contract and salary cap functionality, and so much more. It's not complicated, it just takes another layer of strategy. If you think you're among the fantasy elite, you got to try this out today. Test out your GM skills for free and a mock free agency auction right now. Use the promo code Fantasy Pros to receive a ten percent discount on your team or league today. That's the promo code Fantasy Pros to receive a ten percent discount for your team or league today. Fantasy just got real at Reality sports online dot com. All right, baby, we are cracking into the top five this tight end class or I'm pretty high on this dude, Like I'm kind of surprise he's at tight end five. Man, you might be a little bit interested to know where my ranking of him is. And and just to back this train up, just for a second, putting the further respect on Eric Hall. He is my tight end four of this class, but another guy that needs people's respect as the tight end five per consensus right now, he is my tight end two of this class.
Speaker 1: Thor bensonnot give your thoughts.
Speaker 3: My thoughts, he's consensus tight end five.
Speaker 2: Consensus tight end five, and I think it's wrong. I talked about him in our guys uh episode with Middle Coough, but I didn't get to hear your thoughts on him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, first thought is is that's a that's a ludicrous ranking.
Speaker 3: That's very disrespectful.
Speaker 4: And and so my my rank to wrap it with Eric Hall, I have him four, but very close to a guy that we're gonna be talking about in a second word, yp Eric All might even end up my my process is tight end three, saying my tight end three and four are are right neck and neck. But Ben is it snot or Senate, We're gonna have.
Speaker 2: To get a clarification on this because we've got.
Speaker 3: To get clarification, Like, yeah, both ways.
Speaker 2: I feel like I say it both ways depending on the show and depending on the week, depending on what videos I'm watched or trying to figure it out. So we'll just go with Ben. How about that?
Speaker 4: Okay, let we'll go with Ben. No disrespect to the luck kid. I'm totally with you on this, and I'm in the second year. I'm gonna I'm gonna say something where I'm gonna have to see if you think I'm going too far. But just to set it up with with Ben from Kansas State six foot four, two hundred and fifty pounds nine seven to three rats. He has had a really good process, particularly the athletic testing opened eyes. I understood understood ish why maybe some people were sleeping on him in advance of that. Once he proved the athleticism at that size, I don't know what else there is to talk about. The kids is really really good. The only thing you can nipick him about at this point as far as that like no star recruit, but everything, everything's there. He worked his way up here, has the frame has the athleticism, obviously high effort combo tight end with ball skills and athletic fluidity. He got heavy snaps in line at Kansas State, so you know that he can do that. He can also be comfortably deployed in the slot or off set, eager blocker who gets to work. I love that lunch pale type style of his game.
Speaker 3: For sure, you're gonna get the receivingil utility.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about that in a second, but I love that he gets after it every play, whether it's going after the edge as the inline guy, whether you saw a lot of Kansas State shifting him around the formation and then it was like where he would end up. It's like he has a target for the you know hit in the run game. You got to go out and pick that dude off. Always did like that. That guy was like I don't want I don't want Ben coming after me.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: On the second level, it was like looking back and water Boys playing full back now like you're about to get run over with him. You got your hands full because you know, and it's like the other stuff of like fifteen yards down the field with the leading concept and the dude's running behind him, and it's by the goal line.
Speaker 3: You know we're in the red zone.
Speaker 4: He's the dude that's gonna be running out there as your league guy, and he is going to annihilate anyone that comes in.
Speaker 3: The path and is a potential threat to tackle.
Speaker 4: You're doing so he becomes the best friend of the ball carriers, and that way as well, he's the best friend of the quarterback in the passing game.
Speaker 3: The block and keep getting better.
Speaker 4: I did see a couple reps where he lunged into the contact point, but that would be my only nippick with that.
Speaker 3: Like the anchor and pass pro.
Speaker 4: But as far as the route running goes, that athleticism that he showed in Indianapolis, it plays. He's a very The know how of his routes is very high. I feel like as well, he gains the separation, he gets off the line quickly shoots up to seem in a hurry. I don't know if that aspect of his game gets enough credit, but he will threaten that. It really will threaten that scene, and he will make the play down there. You have to respect it. If you don't, you leave him one on one with the guy that can't run. He is going to make that play you put like a Jonathan Abram type in the NFL, like like just a head knocker, but who is not good in coverage. If you're like, oh, we're gonna put We're gonna stick him on on Ben because then we can get all of our other good coverage guys in the other guy he will, he will eat him alive. So I mean, like you have to give him respect in in coverage. I like all that stuff. I like his ball skills. He what I saw in his film, particular utility on the inbreaking stuff over the middle, that's very good. Like I said, gets into that route real quick, and then you're like, what's he gonna do?
Speaker 3: What's he gonna do?
Speaker 4: And then he'll snap that thing off really quick, and all of a sudden, you have a free throwing window if you're the quarterback, and in the NFL. I think he's gonna get a metric ton of looks in precisely this way. We're about to get six three yards at least unless he starts doing the tackle breaking berserker thing. You know what, once he gets it, it could be more, but we're gonna get it six yards on this thing, nearly half of his catches last year were between the hashes within twenty yards of the line of scrimmage. That's a part of the thing we're in college. It's you respect it watching it in the NFL, de Bro, And you know that's the money zone in the NFL. If you can be an efficiency king between the hashes up to twenty yards down the field, the NFL will always have a home for you, my guy, And they will always have a home for Ben. This is what I was going to toss on you, de Bro. I've been going back and forth on his player comparison, mostly because the guy that I keep being like this is who I want to come to.
Speaker 3: I don't want to avoke the name.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna steal my comp I don't know if are you going with a former Iowa player here?
Speaker 3: I am going with the former Iowa play Oh dude, do it?
Speaker 1: Do it because I'm going to shock you with this.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, mine right now is LAPARDA.
Speaker 1: Oh mine right now is TJ. Hockinson.
Speaker 4: Let's go oh yeah, and you you could go either like yes. When watching him, it's like how did he not go to Iowa? It's like, there's the elements of all those different guys. I think even Dallas Clark is on like his you know, the athletic so it's like the conveyor belt of what Iowa always looks for and look in their tight ends. He is that, so you can think, do not think of him as like when people are like, oh, you know he's a walk on and he's Kansas State and you know, then they started talking about these other tight ends. Think of sinat More as a Iowa tight tight end.
Speaker 3: That's what he was. That's how he was used.
Speaker 4: That is the physical package that you get with the athleticism that you get and the two way utility. A guy who is always going to give you effort as the blocker, whether it's in line, whether it's shifted around the formation, whether it's go out and get someone at the second level. We need this block in order for this wrung concept to work, or whether it's all that efficiency stuff. As the receiver, you get that for sure, that's the money in the bank stuff, but then you get the tackle breaking after it for the potential of more.
Speaker 3: I really like this play. I don't know if I if I'm an end with.
Speaker 4: The laporta comp because he Laporta was in rarefied air for US, obviously, but the physical package is so close, the athletic testing is so close that I don't think it is ridiculous to toss out.
Speaker 2: All It's not ridiculous at all, and I'll throw some of the things. Actually, he was top twenty in yards per rout run against man coverage last year amongst all FBS tight ends with at least twenty targets overall, tenth in yards per route run, ninth in PFF receiving grade. Like all of this stuff screams, and then you add the top shelf testing on top of it, Like all this stuff screams that people are sleeping on this dude. Like we're looking at his ten yard split, eighty first percentile, vertical jump ninety seven percentile, broad jump ninety fourth percentile. Just keep going down the list, baby, Oh, look at the three gone ninety six percentile. He is an underrated athlete. And people like I think he's gonna go third round of the NFL Draft. I think that lock him into the third round of the NFL Draft. I will not be surprised if he were to sneak into the back end of the second although I do think it's rich considering the wide receiver and tackle class we're looking at.
Speaker 3: I would take him late second for sure.
Speaker 2: I don't have a problem at all. I have no problem with that because his ability both as a blocker and a receiver. I'll even throw this out, man, And this might sound spicy to some people, he is the best all around tight end in this class. If you married the blocking and the receiving utility, brock Bauers can dunk on him for days. As far as his ability after the catch and as a receiver, that's fine, But brock Bauers can't hold his jock as far as being a blocker that his blocking reps the closest guy that I can remember in recent classes where his blocking his blocking reps jumped out as much as this player Thor and I loved Pat Fryarmth as a blocker coming out. Now we haven't seen that utility translate to the NFL, but Pat Friarmth had some nasty and some mean blocking reps on his film in college, and they remind me of bensknot so much. Man, so really a player.
Speaker 4: Yeah and and there with a big hammer on the inline right like Uh with Ben Uh. The awesome thing is you get something you saw that of course at the college thing, but then also the out in space in particular, and like you were mentioned, and bring them down the line, send them out second level or in the concepts where the third level he's he's picking guys off.
Speaker 3: It's it's just really.
Speaker 4: Fun to watch and and in some ways what it evoked for me is the blocking of the guy that you comped him to. I I remember, you know, of course, I watch all the Iowa games live sometimes a couple of different times. My favorite dude to watch of of of like of the last decade as far as on their.
Speaker 3: Offense, was Hockinson because you got the receiving stuff that last year at Iowa he overtook fan as their their number one receiver.
Speaker 4: But in college he went was way more a part of the blocking. Of course, you know, it being Iowa and you would see Hockinson he would be, you know, running over defensive ends off the line, but then also the thing out in space would just wreck people. I distinctly remember one play I think this was eight twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, somewhere in there. Hockinson on one play gets out to the second level and ends up blocking three dudes because he blasted one guy and there was another dude right by him that was trying to run by. So he blasts the one dude and then in so doing, the other guy then gets run over as well. And then there was another guy coming in pursuit from another angle, who then essentially gets wiped out by the carnage of the other two guys that he had just blown up. You would see that with Hawkinson. It's the same thing with Ben. Out there in the open field. He is taking someone out and sometimes he will cave take basically a race.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like the Game of Thrones when it's like, I'm sorry, not Game of Thrones.
Speaker 4: That the one on Netflix where they have to play the game Hunger Not Hunger Games. What's the one I'm thinking of where then you have like two hundred and fifty people and they keep getting taken out and then on the board it shows like and then they take their their character off the screen. Dot dot's him with it, like he'll just take the defenders off on on a concept where they're just oh to the play now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's it's like he's Uh, squid Games.
Speaker 3: Why couldn't it say there we go.
Speaker 1: I were like, yeah, like I was, I was waiting. I think it's spid Games.
Speaker 2: But I was gonna let you get there because you give me enough crap off air about not watching TV shows enough, so you know, I was gonna let kind of let you hang yourself with that one. But uh, dude, we love Ben Snott, love his game overall, transitioning to the tight end four of this class, which I think it's blaspheous that Ben is.
Speaker 1: Buried this far.
Speaker 2: But here we are, uh, the guy who blew up the combine the tight end four perkinsensus, THEO Johnson out of Penn State.
Speaker 3: Look.
Speaker 2: I like his game thor and I'm just gonna lean in because I don't. We haven't talked about him a ton of off air. I like his game. I was surprised by his testing in some ways because I felt like a lot of that testing doesn't translate.
Speaker 1: To the to the field. Yet if you look.
Speaker 2: At his analytical profile over the last two years, he is not ranked higher than twenty ninth in PFF receiving grade or yards per route run. He did open some eyes, and I will say this in the context of his game Penn State, it was a lot of screens, a lot of outs. They didn't use him to stretch the seam a lot. The very few times you saw him work upfield, that's where you saw the straight line speed. But I do think that outside of the athletic testing on his film, THEO Johnson is a little bit more lumbering in and out of his route breaks. And so I like his game. I don't love his game, but I will give some context to this that he had a fantastic week Inmobile. Dude, if you wanted to see a week where we could see a player rise above probably the totality of the profile in college. THEO Johnson did do that immobile because he was constantly getting open. He was a factor in all the red zone drills. So I do have to give him some respect for that. My com for him is Logan Thomas. But what are your thoughts on THEO.
Speaker 4: For Yeah, I had I had Benson, not tight End two, I had all tight End four. Both were above the consensus rankings, which of course means that we're going to have some guys that are the opposite and be lower on consensus. THEO Johnson would be one of those guys. For me, you said he was tight end four consensus. He is my tight end six in this class six guys. You know, to me, there there's a little bit of a break after those tight end the top six guys like you were sort of setting up at the top of the show, and then you know whether you're your flavors Hulk or whether your flavor is Bell, whether your flavor you know Wiley or one of those other guys or you know Tim Brayman or whatever. But like for me that this tier it ends with THEO Johnson, and I agree with with with how you set that up vis a v THEO Johnson of the testing was surprising, and we have seen this over the years with Penn State guys when they come in and then they test way better. Even guys who transferred from Penn State to other programs, they have this quirk when they go to the NFL combine. So I don't know what is going on in Happy.
Speaker 2: Value, but that they got to be passing around the spot sham water dude like the special Yeah last year, because did you see Briton Strange coming out last year and testing the way he did.
Speaker 4: The more topical guy in that tight end class for these purposes was Zach Kuonz.
Speaker 3: That's right, a guy we started at Penn State.
Speaker 4: The physical dimensions and the testing is Zach Kuons and THEO Johnson is eerily similar. In fact, I'm looking at the mock draftible page right now, Zak Kuons is the number three player of comparison for at least in terms of the athletic testing profile to THEO Johnson.
Speaker 3: Zach Kuns a.
Speaker 4: Guy who began his career at Penn State. And now we're really coming full circle, Deebro, because the reason that zach Konz transferred to Old Dominion was because of a guy named Pat Fryermuth. That is why Zach Kunz had to get out of Happy Valley. But it seems like, if nothing else, at Penn State they have really not only really good.
Speaker 3: Strength and conditioning, but they also work.
Speaker 4: On these combined testings, which in this thing is topical because Zach Koons last year, the one shocking I didn't I wasn't surprised about the North South stuff was Zach Konz. That was apparent on film. He could get off the line and then he could he could take this seam really quickly, particularly for a.
Speaker 3: Guy his size. What was stunning was Zach Konz goes in ninety first percentile three cone at at you know, almost six seven two fifty five, and then he uh short shuttle was ninety third percentile with THEO.
Speaker 4: Johnson this year it was the same thing where that what was really stunning was was the agility testing at the combine.
Speaker 3: He uh eighty seven percentile short shuttle.
Speaker 4: On with with THEO, and then I think he deferred the three cone to to his pro day but ends up doing a seven to one five, which which is solid, but overall to your point, de Bro, with the testing and then his game were with THEO very similar to Koons for me where I see it on his film, it's the.
Speaker 3: North South stuff.
Speaker 4: It's just we didn't get to see that manifest as much because you so rarely got to see him going down the field twenty five yards god forbid thirty never like the constitution of that Penn State offense. It was run run, you know, I mean like Iowa ish the you know, in terms of this overall strategy, you had the pro style thing out of twelve personnel. They had another tight end who will be talking about next year that they use and then Drew Allard the quarterback, even though he's a five star. It's like the Hackenberg thing all over again at Penn State, where they won't let this five star pocket passer throw down the field. And so instead of being used in the way that I think THEO Johnson should have been used, which is stretch. You know, use them as the inline dude, and then you stretch the scene. You use them for spacing purposes and then you can put them on the slot if you want. But like he can play in line for sure, and then that's how you get some of that spacing and he can make a play downfield.
Speaker 3: They didn't use him like that.
Speaker 4: It was a lot of this stuff in the intermediate rate and then they're asking him to break stuff off. You go out, you go in different stuff. He's not as good at that. He's not fluid changing directions on the field. It's the labor thing. He's telegraphing where that route break is gonna be. Now it's rounded, it's got a sort of lumber into it. Think of like a guy steering a cruise ship and now with the steering wheel, he's got to go. That's sort of when when you see THEO Johnson on what needs to be these quick timing, precision type routes, it's just the footwork is not there and the change of direction just is not there. And that was the way that he was primarily used in college. I would like to see the other aspects of his game developed. I would like to see the usage of him when he is deployed in the passing game, but totally upended from what it was at Penn State. And I think that's where you might be able to realize some of this dormant physical ability that we didn't get to see on the field as much at Penn State, just because of the way that that offense went. I think that they're ceiling here. I think there's more risk than that tight end floor that the censive board has Matt is recognizing. So THEO Johnson's my tight end six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's my tight end five man. And I like his game, but again we've talked about I don't love his game. I think that if you see him kind of surpass expectations and live up to the testing profile in the NFL, it's gonna be Because the team decided to use him a lot more on crossers, and use him down the scene and just ask him to run straight and run away from people and be fast.
Speaker 1: You know he can do those things. But as far as like.
Speaker 3: He's got to get up to that top speed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, dude, Like you're not gonna see him like at least an NFL team should not be asking him to run a lot of like basically a lot of routes where he is gonna have to either sink his hips or break really strongly top at the top of his route. That's the part where he'll struggle at man. So I'm with you on to the tight end three of this class, which again we're talking about where we differ from this class. The tight end three of this class is my tight end six Kate Stover. What are your thoughts on him for Because I like him, I don't love him, and I especially do not love him enough to put him tight end three of this class.
Speaker 4: For sure, he's my tight end five. Kate Stover six foot four two forty seven eight to two raz uh. There's some interesting things about the profile, for sure, but yeah, I can't get to tight end three. Former prep basketball player Kate Stover was Ohio's mister football as well. Coming out of high school he signed. It's a very interesting backstory. He signed with Ohio State as a four star linebacker who at the time to forty seven that you know, they have the really good recruiting department and different stuff, and they always have the interesting thumbnails with the better recruits, they will give them pro comps. I thought it was fascinating to go back and see that two forty seven Sports comped Kate Stover to Anthony Barr coming out of high school. Really yes, as an outside attacking type linebacker prospect, the rangy guy as a freshman in ohiose Kate's over play defensive end and linebacker, so that you know, again in the edge thing they were trying to decide is this dude is he is he the hand and the dare dude? Can we send him off the edge like Anthony Barr kind of a guy. And then he was moved to tight end as a sophomore in twenty twenty two the COVID season. He was briefly switched back to defense late in twenty twenty one, but then he returns a tight end full time for the last two years.
Speaker 3: Things you like about him with the tape springing athlete.
Speaker 4: He does have burgeoning skills as a receiver that I think will continue to get better. He is early on the development and curve the thing you like the most, very very good hands.
Speaker 3: Only Terry drops on one hundred.
Speaker 4: Plus targets the last two years. You get the ball in Kate Stover's caitch. He catching that ball.
Speaker 3: It just is what it is.
Speaker 4: He got vice grip hands. He has good understanding of route running despite being new to the position, or at least at this stage of his development. I feel like he has a better idea of what he's doing in a feel for that that maybe he ought to. So with that you can project more improvement going forward. It's not the thing of like I'm just racing to the spot. I have to go to the coach sas like I have to. I have to get up the line as fasts I can. Then I just have to race that spot. He has the idea of how to get into that route, how to get off the line, and then modulating the tempo up to that rout break, try to keep the defender off to be to the center of where are we going to do that reutbreak where.
Speaker 3: Am I going? And then he gained separation.
Speaker 4: In this way, there's efficiency into and out of those routbreaks and those sorts of things. I like his stop, his stop and startability, but he appears on film to lack the high end speed to get down the field and consistently threaten that seam. And that was one thing with his NFL projection we were talking about before. Ben Sanada guy I know can do that. Eric Hall, guy that I know can do that. Theo Johnson maybe right, like when he starts to get used that way and he's an offensive it's in them where he can work on that is something you can project that more With Caatee Stover, I'm not sure if he ever becomes that guy in the NFL. I didn't see as much of that and as much skill with that. He's coming along as as a blocker at this point. I like the way that he uses length, you know, I mean like he's coming from the trances on the other side. He understands the engagement at the contact point a different stuff like that and what the defender wants to do.
Speaker 3: So he again he's showing an aptitude for this area of his game.
Speaker 4: Understands angle and the leverage, right, Like, I think it's a thing of like sort of putting yourself in the shoes of the person that you're across from and understanding what beats that person. You see some of that already with him, but I think he needs to continue working on his technique with that and also his core strength, because sometimes you will see him the dude jerk him, you know, with the shoulder pads, and all of a sudden he gets yanked out balanced. Now the dude can shut him and he can go hunting. So there's just a little technical things that needs to just be fine tuned a little bit with that. I like the sort of the starter kit that he's bringing to the NFL. I like the idea of some of these flashes that we've seen on film. It both weighs a two way kind of a guy, but I don't like the physical package enough to be able to put him tight end two or tight end three in this class, even being like a little bit of a down tight end class after Bowers. I don't like the stuff that we see enough to be able to get there as far as that goes. But you know, for me again, Kate's over tight end five and a guy I'd be okay with on draftday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed, man, Like I agree with everything you said there. I have him as tight end six. Look at his game, there's definitely utility to it. I will say, I agree with you that I don't think he's a top shelf athlete where he's ever going to be an elite at the position. Can he turn into being a serviceable, middle of the road kind of receiving tight end that can also give you some blocking utility? I think that firmly can happen. But I don't think he's a guy where you're gonna expect to run like a ton of your passing attack through. Can he be a guy that if you need him to basically, I mean kind of like the guy I have him comped to Hayden Hurst. Can he be a solid third or fourth option in an NFL passing attack. I believe that is he ever going to be where you could make him a pillar of your passing attack being the number one, number two option. I just don't think he has that type of ceiling to him. He's a one speed runner and you see this some of this in his testing metrics too. It's where it's like, okay, well, his ten yard splits eighty first percentile. His forty yard dash was okay at four sixty five, but it wasn't amazing.
Speaker 1: And you see some of.
Speaker 2: The limitations as far as him being an explosive athlete also show up in the testing. I mean, dude, his twenty yard shuttle was a thirty first percentile. His broad up in verts neither one of them eclipse sixty seven percentile. So some of that shows up in the testing. But I think he can be a solid addition to a passing attack. You won't see him lined up on the outside, you won't see him beating man coverage. Can he win underneath and beat zone and be a guy who could break some tackles but not be at the top shelf of that. I firmly believe that thor So. I think he's a solid tight end prospect. I don't think he's a top shelf guy. Definitely not deserving of tight end three for me and for you. But transitioning this over to the guy who's basically been the tight end two of this class since people started researching this class, and I'm a little bit lower on him then consensus Again, we're talking about I got bensonad up here at tight end two depending on the day, I've got Eric Ahl and Jatavian Sanders alternating between tight end three of this class, but the tight end two per consensus of this class. Jatavian Sanders thor what do you think about him? I mean, I think we're both going to be in agreement that he is going to be cashing his NFL paychecks based off of his receipt receiving utility right.
Speaker 3: And is receiving utility alone. Uh.
Speaker 4: We we talked about some tight ends that that can block that is not Datavian Sanders. He will not be asked to sit back and block when when his team is outpassing, Ditavian Sanders will be on a.
Speaker 3: Route you don't want him back blocking. You can't trust him with that.
Speaker 4: He's very interesting as a receiver and this goes into the value that he's going to provide to the NFL.
Speaker 3: He Sanders right now?
Speaker 4: For me, is that dude that I alluded to earlier that is holding on by his fingertips to tight end three. I go back and forth between him and Awe making the case for either of them. But that's where he's at with me. Our buddy Ben from Kansas State is my tight end two with the ball in yours as well, deep bro. But yeah, that's where we get into this discussion. Sanders is greatly disappointed with his testing, and that's that becomes problematic when you think about the utility to the NFL. People out there are wondering, like, you know, oh, I thought it was Bowers to one of the bullet and then Sanders he two with the ball and then everybody else. This is why you've seen Sanders start to drop a little bit, uh six foot four, two forty five, so a little bit.
Speaker 3: On the smaller side.
Speaker 4: And then the rascore that he that he put up overall five seven to three, which is a fifty seven percentile size. You know, the testing adjusted athlete is not great. If your utility as the tight it's just going to be the pass catcher guy. What you were looking for is for that guy to be the athletic Marvel and Jatavian. Sanders did not prove that. He tested at both the combine and the pro tain and was not able to improve that score any He's the guy that they put in the slot and then you're gonna have this stuff of you want him to be testing the seam and you can do that.
Speaker 3: We've seen that on film.
Speaker 4: In fact, Quinn Ewers in the Texas passing offense appeared to prefer him to going to a Donna Mitchell, the other you know, sort of big receiver that was out there.
Speaker 3: Xavier Worthy got most of the targets.
Speaker 4: But again, like you know, to a man, the Texas quarterbacks prefer, you know, appear to prefer throwing to Jatavian Sanders over Donna Mitchell, who some people think is the first round receiver.
Speaker 3: But my notes on Sanders.
Speaker 4: Athletic catch first tight end, and the athletic part, maybe you start to question a little bit after the testing. But catch first tight end, who could be a problem down the scene in the NFL. He has plenty of experience playing in line in college. But I think you know, at least don't want him there if he's gonna be asked to block it all and even if he's gonna get chipped on the route where you know you're gonna Projackie, you're gonna get hit off the line. Now we're gonna put him into the route. He could get jarred by that power edge where it could screw up the timing if it's like a timing route. So that's something you would have to think about. For me, he would mostly be in the slot or else you could move him around the formation. I'm not sure how much I'd have him in line there, but he has on film. I'm talking about speed, acceleration, and agility to become a better pass catching tight end in the NFL. I like his balance when he's out on the routes. I like his body control. He gets into that route, into his route quickly, and then he knows what he's doing from there. Again, will threaten that team very quickly. High conversion rate in contested scenarios, which is I think the thing that you like about that in the NFL, or at least it can help you explain away like the thing of the lack of athletic testing. Well, we know that he can make the contested catches against good defenders in at least in college right high into the Big twelve. Texas played some good last year. Early on the season they played Alabama obviously, later on they had the high end opponents when they were in the college football playoff, and so you like his ability to make those contested catches when he's in those situations, even down the field. He's not much of a tackle breaker with that ball in his hands. There's other guys in this class that you would prefer in terms of that. But if here's one thing that I do like about it, if you hit it's sort of like you know, like when we talk about say, like difference between after the catch, like Marvin Harrison Junior for instance, against like Roma Dunze, like Roma Dunese. It's or my league neighbors, right like, they do it in different ways. But Harrison Junior is still able to generate the yards after the catch, but it's just in a different, maybe less flashy way than those other two guys, where it's you you hit Harrison on the hands. He's so good at transitioning immediately to being the runner. And then it's with the athleticism. He'll scot forward for six yards in a blank. Then he's probably going down. He's not looking to break the tackle or necessarily evade. It's it's get that the yards really quickly, and it's so fluid and it happens so fast. It doesn't manifest in the numbers until you look at the aggregate yards after the catch. For me, that is more of like what as Sanders is. I'm not I'm not evoking Marvin Harrison Junior at all with regards to that. Outside of that one little thing of like he catches it extremely fluidly turns into being the runner and then he'll squirt up field. But it's he is not going to be like the tank in the open field, like the Benson, not where it's like now, all of a sudden, you know he has the vision and he can make you miss, but he'll also run you over into That's that's not Jatavian Sanders. He's never gonna be the good blocker he can. You'll see every now and again on his film where he's picking off the smart defender in space and then he can sort of wash over him with the with the length that he has and some footwork.
Speaker 3: But every time you saw him get matched up against a power.
Speaker 4: Edge, the guy was like, all right, get out of here, and then it's like I'm gonna go about my day now after they threw him aside. My comfort to Tavian Sanders, I think if he gets to where you want him to be when you are selecting him. I think it's a John who Smith type of a thing. That's the exact thing that you're looking for in the NFL. So that's my comfort. Jetavian Sanders, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I agree with so much that you laid out there, man, And to your point, he's not a train in the open field. He's not a tackle breaker. I think he's more of an upright runner. He's not an overwhelming force. I mean, we're talking about a player that only forced eleven misstackles over his final two seasons. Can he generate yak with his speed?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is he going to break up a ton of tackles?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I think the high the good points of his game where we talked about, like the receiving utility being how he's gonna punch his checks is you do see the easy and immediate speed to get down the seam, and you do see like when he's asked on those seam shots to catch balls in traffic. You talked about his hands thor like fantastic. I mean zero drops in his final season in college, fifty three point six percent contested catch rate, Like those things will translate.
Speaker 1: But overall, I just felt like.
Speaker 2: I walked away from watching Jatavian's film and really were I was expecting more, Man, I was expecting more as far as the receiver.
Speaker 1: I was expecting more after the catch, and I just didn't get it. Man.
Speaker 2: It's like his analytical profile is pretty good. Like over the last two years, twenty second and seventeenth in yards per route run PFF receiving grade, he's eighteenth and thirteenth. Now, the yack per reception didn't pop up until last year, but he was fourteenth in that. So there are things to like. And my comp people are gonna hate. But if you look at his size, if you look at his testing, and you look at his skill set, I'm gonna go a little bit in the wayback machine here for Jatavian Sanders, who measured in at six three two forty five. The guy i'm comping him to six three two forty five, he ran a four to six nine forty yard dash.
Speaker 1: Oh look at that.
Speaker 2: My comp ran a four six nine. You're looking at some of the other metrics and we're gonna like talk about, okay, was twenty yard shuttle?
Speaker 1: Was okay?
Speaker 2: Actually my comp ran his twenty yard shuttle and showed more short area burst than even Jatavian Sanders did. My comp for him is Charles Clay, and people might hate that because they're gonna look at the totality of Charles Clay's career and they're gonna say, dude, you need to put respect on Jatavian's name, and it's like, okay, Charles Clay was also a number one, number two receiving utility tight end on multiple bad Bills teams. He also dealt with a lot of injuries, so we could talk about where his stats would have been if he could have stayed healthy.
Speaker 1: But people are gonna hate the comp. But that's who I see.
Speaker 4: You want to watch him thor Yeah, I can see that for sure, and we're not trying to crap Onjatavian Sanders.
Speaker 1: It's more realistic, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Again, like coming in, you know, it's with the quarterback class. It was you know, Caleb Williams one, and then Drake may was the quarterback two. Coming in with a ball, and it's like responding to some of the narratives coming in where it's we're trying to give you a more realistic idea, at least of how we assessed the player, and I think that this it's more of a reflection of reality with that, And I think if were to go be the third or the fourth tight end off the board, I think that's a more realistic assessment. Also from the NFL's perspective of the utility that you're actually going to get from him. It's just not the thing. This isn't a guarantee, right Like it's a one phase player and you have to understand in that phase what he can do and what he cannot.
Speaker 3: So just trying to give the realistic expectations.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and just to throw some more sauce on this man. Charles Clay had ten years.
Speaker 1: In the NFL.
Speaker 2: If unless my counting abilities are failing me, no excuse me. Nine years in the NFL, had five seasons of at least five hundred and twenty eight receiving yards or at least seventy four targets. So putting respect on his name, man, I think if we get that type of utility out of Jatavian Sanders from a fantasy in real life NFL standpoint.
Speaker 1: We'll be happy.
Speaker 2: But I don't see the ceiling that some project for him onto the tight end one of this class. The guys were worn the crown for multiple years. I mean, everybody's just kind of like crowned him the the prints tight end of this class. And it's not wrong. Baby Rock Bowers Thor I love his game. He's a steamroller. He I mean, he's a guy you just basically like he's a weapon. He's an offensive weapon. You put the ball in his freaking hands and just ask him to go out there and just demolish people, and he can absolutely do that.
Speaker 1: Man, What are your thoughts on Brock Bowers?
Speaker 2: Who is I know he's my tight end one of this class and you're tight end one of this class, clear tight end ones in a tier by themself.
Speaker 1: What do you think about Bowers?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know, like and guys out there listening like like you know, like Dee Brow and I. With this these shows, we labor to go and talk about the deeper guys that you haven't heard as much about it. Maybe guys that could give you an edge in your fantasy leagues if you're draft in early on and some of those best ball formats, and then with these higher guys, we know that you guys have heard about these guys. All spring Lonk with and of course Bauers is notable with that. I'm gonna respond more because you guys know about Bowers a game. You've seen him now for three years at Georgia. Two of those years he led Georgia in receiving yards. Two of those years Georgia won the national title. He was an integral part of that. You see the Swiss army stuff. More responding to the sort of the idea around him. I don't think of Bowers as a tight end, and I don't think that it's you know, when you're thinking about him, I don't think that that's informative to think about. It's like, really it should be the other guys we talk about is their class, and then Bauers is something into of hisself. I know some people get annoyed with the phrase offensive weapon. If you have another pet phrase that you prefer in your head, just put him in that category. He's different than these other guys. He's the pass catcher weapon fell at and you can move him around and do all this different stuff. Kirby Smart said, if they had used Brock Bauers at running back these last couple of years, he would have also been the best running back on the roster. He certainly was the best pass catcher as you could see, and by the numbers and everything like that. Georgia line him up everywhere in line slot, outside, in the backfield.
Speaker 3: They did Deebo.
Speaker 4: Samuel tight end stuff with him where it's like, okay, Brock, you come into the backfield handed ball or on the end around what will so you get that utility from him as well. The mandate is just get the ball in Brock Bowers' hands. He will do stuff. He will start breaking tackles. He has a very good vision in the open field. The speed, change of direction or both elite. The skill as a receiver is absolutely ludicrous. The guy does not drop balls. Even on the charting when it was like a drop, you go and look at that, It's like it feels like maybe the charter just wanted to give him a drop just to say if he had one. It's like that catch would have like on anyone else they I don't think they would have charted that as catcha ball and given him a drop on that.
Speaker 3: I did not. Really you don't see concentration drops that brought powers.
Speaker 4: There is no problem with him engaging like and also as a blocker. We don't talk him as much about it because you're rarely going to keep him back for blocking outside of on running concepts.
Speaker 3: But he's good.
Speaker 4: I mean like he's good in terms of the effort on every play. He will not skirt you on effort on any any given con he gets after it as a blocker. Of course, as the receiver, and he's so dangerous with that becomes the tackle breaking machine with speed when he has that ball in his hands, that aspect of his game debro and I'll evoke him again. It reminds me from the last class of Laporta when we talked about after. It's like, yeah, before the catch, he has what he needs to get that ball open up the window for the quarterback, so we know in the NFL he's going to get a bunch of targets. But it's like after he has the ball in his hands, that's where the fun begins and he turns up field because he has both the speed, but then he also has the agility, so it's both. If he needs to, he'll evade, but it's also the thing, probably more importantly in this regard of he forces off angle tackle attempts way way more than a tight end should be able to do or that we traditionally think of.
Speaker 3: And that was the same with Laporta. Well. The manifestation of that is both the guys have the power to get through the.
Speaker 4: Arm tackle attempts. So then that's how you see these tackle attempts just start to pile up. That's where he gets all these different yak yardage. And then he also has that speed in the athleticism to threaten how calls in certain scenarios where he gets out into open grass. Again, like the effort as a blocker, he's an effort player. Only nippicks you can toss on him undersized, He's not an elite accelerator. I don't want to I don't want to like harp on that too much because I don't have any problem with that.
Speaker 3: But like when you're thinking of like the.
Speaker 4: High high end athletes at this position, that that was just a little bit of that. There is some some rebuilding of speed that needs to occur when he's coming out of the breaks and he gets into a little bit more contested situations than you would otherwise think, although he's great in those situations. Again, like you put the ball in his sketch and he's coming down with it, and all of a sudden it's it's the Yax stuff, Dee Bry. I hate to keep evoking Iowa tight Ends. Actually I love it, Mike at all.
Speaker 3: At all. I love it so much.
Speaker 4: Tight End you is George Kittles say we were getting the second coming at George Kittle with this player and a player also that I like the advocation of this because the type of staff that San Francisco forty nine ers have on offense, this is the dude you'd love because again it's like you have the Kittle stuff, and then there's like the little bit extra of the Deebo kind of utility of we can do stuff. You don't see what tight ends. The last thing I'll say about this de Bro, this is just a general comment to the narrative about Boers you hear out there, particularly Visavi the Jets. You've heard this argument made of like Jets are sitting at ten and it's like, well, you know, it'd be great to add Bauers to Aaron Rodgers, but in the current way that the NFL does it with the slots for the different picks and then the franchise tag when you're done with the contract. There's been the argument of I don't know if you can justify taking a tight end at number ten because the franchise tag is this, and then if you take them at ten, it starts out with this. Again, I don't think that that is the correct way to see Bauers of like tight end, he is a pass catcher, offensive weapon, fell who immediately is going to be for your team, one of the top couple options in terms of of who you're getting the ball to there. I think you in covert that, or at least when I think about it, I think about it from the other way of Okay, but sure with this the draft slot itself, like I understand that, and then against what the franchise tague would be. But once you get done with that rookie contract, do you know the kind of friggin steel you would get with this guy if it's just oh, we're going to be negotiating with, you know, using the paradigm of tight end contracts, or if it's just okay, well, franchise.
Speaker 3: Tag you because his utility.
Speaker 4: Again, it's more this guy you're drafting to be your number two option in the passing game or maybe even on some teams he would be the number one in the NFL. But like ideally you would have a good receiver and then you have Bowers, and then all the other guys on your offense are going to benefit from the spacing that you get from those guys. The more space you get Bauers, the more damage he is going to reek in the open field for the after the cat stuff that we were just talking about. That's how I think you need to think of Bowers. I absolutely around ten anywhere around there. To me, he is a perfectly acceptable value. Love him, al and fantasy players are are going to be all over Brock Bowers for years and years and years and years.
Speaker 1: As they should.
Speaker 2: Man, and anybody who's got a problem with us talking about him as an officeive weapon at me, I really don't care because that's the way he should be talked about, because that's what he is.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I mean to put more respect on his name, and not that we've you know, shaded him so far, but the analytical profile is it's beautiful. Like he's never finished lower than third in yards per route run in any season over the last three years. Since that same span so since twenty twenty one, amongst all tight ends with at least twenty five man coverage targets, he ranks twelfth in yards per route run, ahead of Michael Mayer. His his drops he talked about like his hands, fantastic four point four percent drop rate, only eight drops across three seasons.
Speaker 1: The guy is just a monster. He's a monster.
Speaker 2: He forced the second most mistackles amongst all tight ends in twenty twenty three tour Like, the guy is a monster, and he is very deserving and should be taught at exactly in the conversations that he is being talked about as a top twelve player in this class, and he is deserving of a top twelve selection in this NFL draft class.
Speaker 3: So I'm not even gonna hear de bro one other thing that I would toss out there.
Speaker 4: Last season, so he brock Bauers got injured during that season. Most players in that situation you're gonna start milking out that you're looking for the NFL. He rushed back so he could play at the end of that season, and it was not one hundred percent at all.
Speaker 3: This is a tough kid.
Speaker 4: He does not want to get taken off the like he didn't want to miss the games initially. In fact, he rushed back so fast in the first game where he comes back in November. It was basically so the coaching staff just could see like where he was at right, and they used him a bit just like. And then the last regular season game, the coaching staff elected like, let's let's wrest him for this game because they didn't need it, and then going into the SEC title game because that's where we were gonna need him. Obviously, Alabama ended up overcoming Georgia in the game. If Georgia had won that game and gone to the playoff, that's where now we're It doesn't matter what percentage you were at Brock, you need to be our dude in the playoffs. That's how we're gonna be generating the offense. Carson back, he is going to be looking at you. But I just had to shout out the toughness of that kid too. This is not a prima donna guy. This is also the lunch pail dude who absolutely will play hurt.
Speaker 2: He's a beast man. I love every part of his game. He's going to be an elite option at the tight end position for years to come, and you'll love to see him. Man, This tight end class really needs it, and brock Bauer is going to deliver the goods.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: But if anybody's out there trying to get a jump on rookie dynasty drafts right now, head over to fantasypros dot com slash simulator use our Dynasty Rookie Draft simulator.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic. I'm going to be doing.
Speaker 2: Rookie drafts both on X so look for that. If you're not following me, please do, and as well as in our discord for Fantasy pros to get signed up, get into the discord today. Tons of stuff coming down the pipeline for Fantasy pros. Thor's got all of his positional primers that are all live right now. Like, Thor, where are you at with this right now?
Speaker 1: Man? Like, I know you're working on what wide receivers dropping next?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah, wide receivers drop well on the site.
Speaker 4: I think the next one coming is we're doing the infrastructure positions on the defense. But I just turned in yesterday, so those are going to be dropping on the site. Interior, defensive lineman and edge later this week. Defensive backs coming out, but also The big one is the wide receivers, because this is very obviously the top, very good, but also extremely deep receiver class. So we deep dive that one, get into the profiles at twenty five guys or so and try to lay out the case of like, this is the utility they're going to provide to the NFL. Is the utility they could potentially provide to you guys as fantasy players and people that have been listening to us deep bro they know we don't like our opinions on these, just our opinions, right, which are invariably oftentimes different than what the contents is, particularly when you get past, say the brock Bauers and then you get a little bit lower. This is where for fantasy players out there, you can get the edge on your competition and then time take guys from them that are at values where they should not be. Last year, if people are listening to us at this time, they would have gotten pookin Nakua for free, they would have gotten Tanked Dell for dang near free. And that's what we're doing with some of these rankings as well. So there's guys in this receiver class where you're gonna be able to jump on them early and then leverage that against your competition if you're in a dynasty league for years and years and years. So that's coming out as well. And Deebra, are we I don't know if we have been cleared to do this, so maybe in post production they're gonna have to yank. Can we are we able to announce the the the augmentation to our live draft offerings this year?
Speaker 2: Now, let's go yellow baby, go ahead, tell the people will be got going coming up here. I mean, let's give them an al teaser because we're gonna have a ton of stuff that we're not even announcing here, but the work go ahead, It's all.
Speaker 4: You, baby. Not only are we doing the day one live draft show, which is blowout extravaganzas at the company where we have the whole coterie of analysts coming in, we hit you guys from all different perspective. Is the perspective of the draft as it's going in all the context with that, but then the fantasy, the dynasty implications, deep diving the rosters. Where is this twoe gonna fit in right away? What is the long term fit? What is the offensive system that he's going into and hitting all that suff But not only are we doing that this year, we are also adding a Day two live show with all your friends, all the boys, and we will also have special guests coming on that We're lining up.
Speaker 3: That part of it.
Speaker 4: I know I probably can't get into, but I just I had to tell everyone. We will have a Day two live show on Friday, So consider that when you're thinking about your last Friday night of a bro we will be here and would love to be your companion show for that night.
Speaker 2: We are the second screen experience for the NFL Draft. We're gonna cover all things and stuff because look, this is where it's ad man. We're covering this for fantasy. We're trying to give you the intel that you need to dominate leagues and as well as get research on this class man. There's a mad man. He's riding up interior defensive prospects and stuff. So go check out his work on the side for Thor and myself.
Speaker 1: We'll be back next week. Baby, we're out of here.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Dynasty Football Podcast. If you love the show, the best freeway to support us is by leaving a positive review on Apple podcasts or Spotify. Follow us on x, Instagram, and TikTok at Fantasy Pros, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com Slash Fantasy Pros