Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club more than everybody. It is DJ Envy, Jess Hilarious, Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest.
Speaker 1: In the building. Yes, indeed, the author.
Speaker 2: Of My Black Country, A Journey through Country Music's Black Past, President in Future, Ladies and gentlemen, Alice Randall, Welcome, good morning.
Speaker 3: I am so glad to be on the Breakfast Club. It's like being on America's front porch. O.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to.
Speaker 4: Start using that one A use that as imaging tale America's front porch. Alice Man, you have such a storied history.
Speaker 1: You are the first.
Speaker 4: Black woman to ever write a number one country song. Ero Tricia Yearwoo was XX sex oh or those X?
Speaker 1: Isn't it X? And ose way back in nineteen ninety four, but you know it ain't that far way back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Was born. I was two, but I was born.
Speaker 3: But you know, Jess, I have been forty one years in country and Western music. I came to the Black Woman to Nashville in nineteen eighty three, so this is my forty first year and it's wild. I had songs recorded. I'm glad you shout out to that one that was two weeks at number one, and it put Miss Aretha Franklin's name in it.
Speaker 1: A country song.
Speaker 3: Got to two weeks Aretha Franklin and Patsy Khine and we put Aretha first back then, and it was all about the money. It's hard to keep the balance up between love and money. I'm going to tell you about that in a second. But I wrote my first song was recorded two years after I arrived in Nashville, so that was nineteen eighty five, and that was the B side of the number one. So I had songs recording the eighties, nineties, odds, tens, and twenties, and sure you one of the first people to ever recognize that.
Speaker 4: Wow, I love that.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go from the beginning because you're from Detroit, Michigan Motowntown. So how did you get into country music? Tell us how you got into the music at all.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I was born in Detroit in nineteen fifty nine, the same year as Motown Records, and that was essential to how I did this black country, motown and music city thing.
Speaker 1: My father was.
Speaker 3: Was a strong supporter of Malcolm X. He was a very black centered, black man who told me the banjo was an African instrument. He pointed out he was also a dad, mom girl dad waiting for people were that he was, so he told me, and the Records was founded a year before Motown Records. He loved Anna Gordy and he would always put her up as an example in front of me as a music publisher, as a writer, as a woman business person. And he's also the person that told me traditional was probably a colored girl. So I was born in a music city and my family knew a lot of people in the music industry, though they were not in that. My father ran and owned dry cleaners and laundries. But I was just thinking my first trip to New York, my first trip on a plane was to New York City with my family to see the.
Speaker 1: Beames open at the Copa Cabana.
Speaker 3: It was a weekend that the Beatles played Chase Stadium, but my family didn't care anything about that. We cared about the Supremes. We're playing at the Copa Cabana. I was ringside. I've got a picture of it, and they sang Queen of the House. They sang a country song. And the next night they took me to see Sammy Davis on Broadway. I didn't care, didn't I love Lola f Atlana dancing half naked, and she would eventually be in that wonderful black spaghetti Western Lola cult. So I started off being around music and my father telling me that there was Lil Hardin who wrote a big number one for Ray Charles right around that time that she was playing on that huge hillbilly hit. He didn't use the word hillbilly, actually use a different word.
Speaker 4: I won't use it.
Speaker 3: No, the probably pekawi, and I don't use I think that's not proper language.
Speaker 1: I don't actually say words like that.
Speaker 3: But he was about the truth that black genus was hidden in country, and I just think an interesting thing about what we know what we don't know is, of course you know, Blue Yodel number nine is an amazing song. This is by Johnny Cash has said it was probably the most iconic country song of all time. Three people played on that. Two of them were black geniuses. One was Louis Armstrong, we all.
Speaker 1: Know his name.
Speaker 3: The other was Lil Hardin Armstrong black woman born in Memphis, good friend ALBERTA.
Speaker 1: Hunter, and the third was Jimmy Rogers.
Speaker 3: There are three people on it, two were black geniuses, but only one's name got on the label. But fast forward in nineteen fifty nine, when I was born and growing up, Lil Harden was still alive. Do you think she didn't tell people she played on that Billy Little Billy Reader.
Speaker 1: Of course she told. Do you think in the black music community of Detroit it wasn't known? Of course it was known? And do you know? And I talk about this in my book My Black Country.
Speaker 3: In nineteen eighty three, before I drove to Nashville.
Speaker 1: Two days before I.
Speaker 3: Drove to Nashville, I got to go to the twenty fifth anniversary of the CMA Awards Association and Roy Acuff is on the stage and Roy Acuff is talking about country being.
Speaker 1: A family, and he talks about Jimmy Rogers.
Speaker 3: He even talks about some comedian Will Rogers, and he does not say Will Harden's name, And he doesn't say the name of D four Bailey, the first superstar of the opry, the man that helped Oycuff himself get started. He knew that man's name, and he didn't say it. And I knew the man's name. And now I've said it in My Black Country, and I'm thrilled that Sean has publishing my book on his imprint Atria, and we're getting that story out because the history of black people and country music on the radio goes back to nineteen twenty seven, almost one hundred years. To me, the first beat a black country tree on the radio is when D four Bailey in nineteen twenty seven played Pan American blues on a show called Barn Dance, right after somebody on WSM said for the first time the words Grand Old Opry.
Speaker 1: Then a black man played yeah.
Speaker 3: And if I can just say one thing here, that black man Deft Bailey is the father of black country, in my opinion, the father of country radio.
Speaker 1: Lil Harden is the mother, and Lil.
Speaker 3: Harden is the mama, and Ray Charles is their genius child. And I think that Charlie Pride is Defort's side child and HERB Jeffries the bronze buckaroo in all those thirties and forties black black western singing with singing cowboys.
Speaker 1: He's Lil stepchild is his first family of Black country.
Speaker 4: I love you see that you got HERB Jeffries, Charlie Pride Lil Hard in the Ford Bailey, Racharles Beautiful's amazing.
Speaker 3: And Beyonce in this moment metaphorically is Ray Charles's genius child, the daughter who may eclipse the father.
Speaker 4: Explain that why is why is Beyonce the daughter of Racheles in this case?
Speaker 3: In this case because when nineteen sixty three, when modern sounds and country and Western drops, that's Ray Charles's country album.
Speaker 1: So, first of all, Ray Charles put out an amazing country album in nineteen sixty three.
Speaker 3: I used to chatcha around the living room with my black auntie, Mary Francis, who I love more than life.
Speaker 1: Mary Francis, I would dance to Ray Charles. Ray Charles Country.
Speaker 3: He deconstructed and reconstructed country music according to his own aesthetics.
Speaker 1: Now you need to understand that Ray Charles grew up listening to the opry.
Speaker 3: His Mamo let him stay up late to hear it on Saturday nights. Because back in the forties, thirties, twenties, when my family is coming up, there was no black radio in Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi.
Speaker 1: There was none.
Speaker 3: We were culturally redlined out of owning radio stations. So if you were black and you were living in the rural South, you could hear great live music in the juke joints, in the church in your home.
Speaker 1: But the only thing you were really hearing in the rural South on the radio. There was a lot of country in some classical music.
Speaker 3: So black people knew country. And just remember, as my daddy said, we were actually playing on it. We can now document that that there was two black geniuses on Blue Yola number nine, and that doesn't even count the people passing that were playing in these bears. But so we knew country, and we knew that we'd have been at the banjo, that a lot of the things are best in country. That it was a black person who taught Hank Williams how to play a lot of his early songs. Lefty Frizelle, that the Carter family that there were taught by Eslee Riddle. Esleie Riddle was a black man who taught the Carter family their first songs, a lot of the chords. Some people, you know, we're thinking, well, as it has been traditionally told in the white world, when they say about the first family of country, they say, Jimmy Rodgers is the Papa.
Speaker 1: Now, I just told you he was really working with Lill and Lewis.
Speaker 3: And they say that the mama is a may Bell, Carter mother may Bell, But I'm going to tell you that my mother may Bell. She had a way of playing that's called Carter Family scratch. The way she used two fingers three fingers. Well, this man, Esle Riddle, he was in a terrible accident when he was young, lost the leg. Then he almost committed suicide or maybe tried to commit suicide, and.
Speaker 1: He lost a couple of fingers.
Speaker 3: Jesus, he played with three fingers before the Carter family was playing.
Speaker 1: He's the one that taught them the first song. So I'm just saying, who really invented Carter Family scratched? We can't prove that, but is it the man who actually had that?
Speaker 3: We know that they acknowledge, and they played with him all through their history later and they have there's a story that they tell that he's called Leslie Riddle because their children could not pronounce Leslie.
Speaker 1: Well, I found him in the.
Speaker 3: US Census as Edley E. S l i E, long before he ever met the Carters. So there's questions about this because our history is not well documented.
Speaker 1: So the cowboy Carter obviously.
Speaker 3: Speaks right now for Beyonce Knowles, and I missus Carter.
Speaker 1: I don't know that she is at all signing to the original Carter family.
Speaker 3: But what I signed to is I'm not interested in that Carter family right now, because they've had a lot of attention. I'm really interested in Esleie Riddle, who's a black man who came from that same place, and his story has not been told. And that's what you get in My Black Country. D Ford's story hasn't been told. Lil Harden's story hasn't been told.
Speaker 1: You know what's.
Speaker 4: Interesting, My guy Bobby Bones, he does. He's a big, nationally syndicated, you know country morning guys, Luther Bobby Bones out in Nashville. He taught about the banjo and how you can't even talk about black country, I mean without you can't talk about country music without talking about black people's contributions to country music from the very beginning. So my question is when did it shift? When did people just make it country a white thing so to speak?
Speaker 1: Well, there's two pieces that One.
Speaker 3: I agree with your friend Bobby Bones that my definition of country music is Celtic, English, Irish, Scottish ballid form storytelling plus black influences plus evangelical Christianity. Country can't be country without black influences. Without black influences, country is just folk music.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Some of those black influences are black gospel from la and the South. Some of the black influences are the banjo. Some of the is the way the notes are bent when they're sung. They're coming out of the blues. And the difference between and if you don't have the evangelical Christianity, you might be in a country blues because the big difference is and I said, my childhood, I had a very bad mother and I had a great daddy and a really bad mother.
Speaker 1: So I don't love the blues.
Speaker 3: The blues is too My daughter loves the blues. The blues is too hard for me. I need some hope I need with my tragedy. I need the reality, and then I need some hope. And black country has both of those things. The hope, because it could be I'm just gonna be up in heaven and tell Jesus how you've done me. It could be you're going to be in hell and some burning fires and I'm going to be that there's some hope, there's some revenge in.
Speaker 1: Country, and I like the hope.
Speaker 3: I like the revenge that Blues has a little bit of an experience of we are walking on hell on Earth, but we're finding some joy.
Speaker 1: We're making some joy in the hell on earth. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But Black country says we're gonna get somewhere else. But country isn't country, and on is the little teacher of me. I hate to say I have to do this one because I'm a professor at Vanderbilt. Whe have a course on Black country, and I've been to that course since twenty fifteen. My first course, Country lyric and American Culture, I've been teaching since two thousand and six. I used to say it was musical midsitenation, and that wasn't my phrase.
Speaker 1: I adopted that one. But here we know that.
Speaker 3: Country requires blackness to be country. And one of the examples you see on Cowboy Carter is that song Blackbird, which is a remake of a Beatle.
Speaker 1: Song without the black voices on it. It's a folks song. You add those black women's voices and they're black esthetics. It's country. What makes it country? The black gospel.
Speaker 3: You hear sound that they bring to it. I love my Randa Roberts.
Speaker 1: I'm there.
Speaker 3: My students found her for me when she was only like three weeks when she was on TikTok. I had students rush in and show her to me, and so I've been loving her. She's since sometime. Now the world is discovering her now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rana talent Sen, Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: What did you think of Beyonce's album? Did you listen to it in full? What were your thoughts?
Speaker 1: Oh, I have listened to it many times.
Speaker 3: I actually love it in this particularly as I said, I'm sixty four.
Speaker 1: This is my birthday party on the Breakfast Club. I'll be sixty five May fourth, nine, Happy birthday.
Speaker 3: And you know when I arrived here forty one years ago in Nashville, I wanted to get as number one, and I got a number one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I wanted to spotlight black women who have really contributed. I'm proud to say I wrote the first major article on Linda Martell. Everybody talking about her now I've published that in twenty ten.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 3: I'm in the documentary her granddaughter is making about her.
Speaker 1: I love Linda Martel.
Speaker 3: I had to fight to get that space for her back in twenty ten when people weren't talk.
Speaker 1: And I'm thrilled, So just stop there.
Speaker 3: I'm thrilled that Beyonce has brought her to a huge world. My article in a got a lot of attention, but in a narrow way.
Speaker 1: Now the whole world knows who Linda Martell is.
Speaker 3: That that documentary, her vand daughter has been struggling to get made, picking up a little bit of money here, a little bit of money there. Now that thing is going to be made and made right. So I am absolutely thrilled that Beyonce has taken country to a global audience. But there's a third thing. So I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Spot like these black people. I could do that in this book. I wanted my own number one, but I wanted to see and Jess is gonna be you and me here.
Speaker 3: I wanted to see a black woman at the top of the country charts because the day I arrived in Nashville in nineteen eighty three, Charlie probably had already been up there twenty nine times. Ray Charles was acknowledged. I saw I was in the room when he played Seven Spanish Angels in Nashville in a back small room for DJs. He got to go to the top of the charts. There are so many black men who have been to the number one spot. Now just call the name of the two most important Charlie Pride, Ray Charles, but serious Rucker. I'm not even to name anymore because there's so many and there has not been one Black woman. Black women have absolutely I have a song called small Towns are Smaller for Girls in country, and that's true. It's hard on the country radio even for all women. Small towns are cursed back here a lot smaller for black women. If small towns are smaller for girls, they're really smaller for black girls.
Speaker 1: And Music City is a small town.
Speaker 3: So I wanted to see a Black woman at the top of it because it's acknowledging that we are worth, our beauty are significance. And I thought I was going to retire without seeing it. So Cowboy Carter, for me personally, is so important because it is a Hallelujah moment, It is a Juneteenth moment. It is good news at long last. But my daughter, says Caroline Randall Williams, good news at long last is still good news.
Speaker 2: What's not what's the When you got your number one record? What did that mean to you? Because was it as big as it is now with it charts?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 2: You know? What did happen to number one record mean? Back then?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm gonna give you want me to get it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be real, real, real with yeah, because I don't even know it was number one was number one Rember.
Speaker 3: In some ways it was bigger because back then, let me just put it a little bit generally, let's say hypothetically, right now, back then, a number one record on the country charts for the co writer, that's a million dollars. It's bigger because it's streaming.
Speaker 1: That's not a million dollars the co writer nowadays. So back then it's a life changing you made a million dollars. Hold that record. You need to read my book because I said that about.
Speaker 2: You need to read the book.
Speaker 3: I will just say that that song earned the writers section of that song or significant. I was say, I'm made some money even just last month. That made so much money that I signed that contract I should not have signed.
Speaker 1: I don't want to talk to you much about that.
Speaker 3: Far into it, at the height of the success, and that song was so successful that it got itself out of jail that you know, when they're collateralizing everything against everything and every expense there was ever spent anywhere that that I made some money on that song just this year, and that's the song is thirty years old. So back then, another number one record changed your life? How did you and two weeks at number one really changed your life?
Speaker 2: How did you navigate through the industry? Because you hear all the time black artists never really got the money that they were old or they were supposed to get, So how did you navigate to make sure that you got what you was supposed to get?
Speaker 3: If you did, I did not successfully one hundred percent navigate through the industry. And there's so many things about that. You know, there was no chances that, so many complexities. You don't have the lawyers, the managers, or anyone who looks like you or understands you or is looking out for you or believing one hundred percent that you can do it again and again, I don't even think that any thing was said so, but I did successfully. My company, Midsummer Music is forty one years old and it still exists, and it has published some important people, Mark Sanders, a little tiny bit of Garth Books.
Speaker 1: Who's that are right?
Speaker 3: So two writers who are in the Nashville Songwriters Association. So number one is I came from Detroit City. So I set up my home publishing company. I got investors from outside of Nashville, an investor from outside of Nashville that believed in me and believed in my autonomy and supported me in that part and let me run the company.
Speaker 1: And they were fair to me. Garth Books was really fair to me.
Speaker 3: I over the years that I found some allies were really fair to me, and I had a vision, like, for example, the songs that I published and we did and are on my new album, My Black Country.
Speaker 1: He has an album too.
Speaker 3: We were had the first big country song about the homelessness, the first big, the first significant country song that I know of about lynching.
Speaker 1: That song was called the Ballad of Sally Anne.
Speaker 3: I'm very thrilled that Rihannan Giddons, who's on Cowboy Carter, she sings it on my new album now. And this is a song about a woman whose husband is lynch between his wedding and reception. It's a song that demands reckoning it, demands acknowledging that lynching happened. Ebany Smith, brilliant black woman out of Memphis, is the producer. She put horns on that song. People say, why are there horns on this song? To remind people that the first, the last significant lynching we know of, happened in nineteen fifty five. It didn't happen in the nineteenth century or the nineteen tenths. And mctill was lynched after he was drug that people want to think that lynching something happened a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Lynching's happened in the forties. Lynching happened in fifty five.
Speaker 3: So that ballad of Sally ann that Rihannan has re recorded produced by Ebany Smith. This whole group, eleven different artists, all black women, rode to the rescue of my legacy when they came to make this album. So I made money because I was a publisher, because I was acting like Anna Gordy, because I didn't I didn't and I recognize talent, and I worked with a lot of women to have this vision at the very top of the success. When you get the big success puts a target on your back and so even if you behind the scenes kind of yeah, because there's so much money in the room.
Speaker 1: Got back then, there was so much money in the room.
Speaker 3: And as I said, I thought myself, only I take responsibility because I was going out to lunch and we were supposed to be celebrating that record. And they said and something read it in the book like this. All it does is changed how long you're going to be with us, the same exact terms seventy.
Speaker 1: Decided to my Laurie. I know you don't. It's just the same thing.
Speaker 3: Just we need I need to show people that you're not going to just get the big head and go somewhere else because you're having the success. And I signed something without reading it without the lawyer thinking I swam in this lady's pool that confusing a business associate with a friend.
Speaker 1: I've never made that mistake again.
Speaker 3: Oh at the time, because you remember, mm it was nineteen ninety four, I was old enough to know better, old enough to know better, and I did something that no one that hardly anyone could believe I'd die I read I signed something that.
Speaker 1: Signed without reading it, So totally my fault wasn't I knew better and I did it.
Speaker 4: It's also illegal though if the lawyer said to you, have you said to the person, hey, I need to see my lawyers, Like no, no, no, you don't like they're not supposed to see that.
Speaker 1: Who knows it was in a room and no one's gonna All I can say is it all worked out on the end.
Speaker 3: Of my story now is there's an album that I adore and you know, if you are for me, I love that some of the interesting things you've just said recently about if you are me. When I was started off how David asked me, what will you do if someone steals the song from you? And I thought form him and I said, write another song. He said, that's the answer.
Speaker 1: Go down in Nashville because people will.
Speaker 3: And you know what, I'm not glad that that thing happened to me, but that thing happened to me. Now I had the audacity I refuse to write for them after that, like, you can have all the but you're not getting another song.
Speaker 1: So you can just see that.
Speaker 3: After two weeks and number one, I stopped writing country songs and that thing, and I wrote a book that was in the top ten. You know, when done Gone the Black retelling of Gone with the Whim from a black perspective that I doubled down on, a new audacity, on a new autonomy. If you're not gonna play fair with me, I'll go play somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, and so and that was a huge, huge success, And I now have five novels and the New York Times.
Speaker 4: Bestseller, it's about to be another.
Speaker 3: One critically acclaimed, and we've got My Black Country. So it all worked out for me because if you do the work and you get the wisdom.
Speaker 1: Now I learned from that lesson.
Speaker 3: If you do the work and you get the wisdom and you get the right people around you, then it does work out. But you lose some battles, but you go back you I was. I learned that in Detroit, survived a plague to fight another day.
Speaker 4: Can we talk about divine alignment? Because you started My Black Country a while ago. So when you're writing the book and you know, you know your book is about to be published, you get the date it's you know, April, But then all of a sudden you started to hear these Beyonce Texas hold them and Beyonce maybe doing a country album, Like, what did that feel.
Speaker 3: Like it felt that what you just said divine alignment, because this project I started forty one years ago, and really this part of it started in Deep five years ago, is a pure project for me. This is my life work, the history of Black people and country, putting it back into the seventeenth century. And it was just and it's just a wild alignment because it has created a global conversation, a global conversation I spent forty one years preparing for, but actually started even earlier than that at Harvard in nineteen seventy seven, when I'm starting to look studying the Harlem Renaissance with Nathan Huggins and starting to try to prove my father's Black Detroit Gossip was true, chasing that down because back then there was no scholarship that told us that the banjo was a black instrument. Back then, there was no scholarship that said Lil Harden was really on that record.
Speaker 1: But I have traced down these oral histories that.
Speaker 3: Other scholars have, and now we know that Lil Harden was absolutely on that record.
Speaker 1: Black Gossip of Motown was correct.
Speaker 3: So the alignment, though instead of this being some small book, although it wouldn't be if you're on the breakfast club. I'm gonna say I'm from I'm up here in New York from Nashville.
Speaker 1: I want all the.
Speaker 3: Folks up in up in Detroit, all down South. I want you out there getting my black country. I want to be lifted up by black readers. Yeah, that is I have always with all of my books, starting with The Wind Done Gone, I have loved. One of my readers told me is the literary equivalent of prissy slapping scarlet back.
Speaker 1: I had more than one reader.
Speaker 3: I happened to stop and tell this story. It was one of the most meaningful stories on Wind Done Gone tour. I was in North Carolina, a black woman library, and hit bought all these books for the State Library of North Carolina mine. But we were coming home after big reading and I'm thinking back to my hotel.
Speaker 1: This is not the way we went, Like, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know where we are going, and it's late at night, we've got dinner reading. And she drove me and we sat outside the house. She pulled up in front of house in a fancy neighbor and she said, my mother worked as a maid in this house almost all my life. They made her come in the back door. They made me come in the back door. They loved gone with the wind. And I cannot tell you what it means to me that you wrote this book attacking everything that that valued that.
Speaker 1: And the way they treated her. I waited this long, she said, I felt, she said, joy, but the number.
Speaker 3: But more than that, I had women who were ongoingly working as domestic servants telling me this book meant so much to them. And when I read the book.
Speaker 1: That one out loud. And I read this one because I'm not an actress. I'm not a performer. I don't have great voices like all three you.
Speaker 3: I read this one because I've always my grandparents couldn't read or write. My grandmother could read a tiny bit. My grandfather couldn't read or write even his own name. I dore my grandparents. They were brilliant people and storytellers, just never had a day of school in Alabama. I read my books and make sure there's audio books because I know a lot of brilliant people can't read or write, and.
Speaker 1: I want them.
Speaker 3: I'm working as much for them as the people who.
Speaker 1: Have all these degrees and whatever. That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Look chapter six in your book, Big Dreams, big, big mistakes without spoiling it, you know, because I know it's a lot of information in this book. You keep saying to read his book. No, we're won't read it, but I just can you tease a little bit?
Speaker 1: What like mistakes? Was a big mistake?
Speaker 3: Was that sign sign reading it because I swam in the ladies pool. They won't invite me to your house. I swam see I swam in your pool and all that. That was a big it was, and the big dreams, that part of it was the first. It's one of the first big things I did was a song called Big Dream that I co wrote with my daughter when she was just little, and it got into this movie called The Thing called Love. It was River Phoenix's last big movie, and it was it was a song this girl is trying to make it in the Blueberg Cafe, trying to make it now. Of course they have a white girl playing it, Samantha Mott, But that was really my story, and I got to write all the songs for that main character. And that song, Big Dream, is the one she sings at the end of the movie. And what's wild about that is all the big white male songwriters were trying to get that job. Everybody was after it and I got it. So that was the first time I competed with these people for something they really wanted and I beat them out, and you know, and that was a big movie, Paramount Pictures and River.
Speaker 1: And then that song.
Speaker 3: Has been recorded now by Valerie June now.
Speaker 1: Which I'm so excited on the new version of it. So big dream was that song that I started writing.
Speaker 3: It was a song daughter and I started writing together that I wrote it with Ralph Murphy.
Speaker 1: But the and that got me to Hollywood, y'all.
Speaker 3: Know that when you I got to meet mister Quincy Jones and work with him. He got me my first contract to write a black Western that never got made but paid me some money.
Speaker 1: So that was really very exciting.
Speaker 3: And the big mistake was and then I had to pivot away from the big mistake. The big mistake was I literally signed that thing that I should never have signed.
Speaker 1: Got told you big dreams, and you signed a contract what I read. But the other good thing was that I got to write novels.
Speaker 3: I might have just been a country songwriter, and now I get to be a country songwriter and a novelist and a memoirrist and I love my six books.
Speaker 1: That's right, that one about a black spy family. It's all hold on now for you, yes, okay.
Speaker 3: And it's from it if you ever get involved in me and that kind of movie production. I got a great one, Rebel Yell about a black spy family.
Speaker 1: I've got some really cool books, all of them.
Speaker 4: Girl, Yeah, and turning the movies.
Speaker 1: You're gonna talk about that.
Speaker 4: This is found on Quincy Jones a little bit, because in the book you talk about Quincy Jones and the cosmic colored cowboy.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was gonna be Danny Glover. That was amazing. You know, I got snuck into Quincy's house. I was literally I got what you mean.
Speaker 1: How you just snuck up in there? Waven you went to the side the window of the bed. Well, it was a while. It was wild. Think these are things you only do when you're really young.
Speaker 3: And I do not advise anyone to do this. I'm sure it would be very incorrect to.
Speaker 1: Do this now.
Speaker 3: But I knew I wanted to write this black western, and back then I didn't think nobody was doing anything. This is way before Jango or anything that was happening, anything like this, and so I realized the only person to get this was Quincy Jones. I asked everybody I knew if they could get me a meeting with Quincy Jones. So a person I knew who was actually dating she, they said they could get me into Quincy Jones's give me a meeting with him. And so I flew out at my own expense till and she picks me up at the airport and we're on the way. She said something that the big problem and I said, well, I thought we figured out the big problem. He said, no, the big problem is you don't really have an appointment with Quincy Jones. That I said, we're not going. She said, I can get you into the house, but you don't actually have an appointment.
Speaker 1: I still don't know. I said, do you mean, like you know the guard. She didn't answer the question. I have no idea. I feel like that's about as far as we probably.
Speaker 4: Had, right.
Speaker 1: So I get let into Quincy Jones's house in bel Air.
Speaker 3: It's a very lovely home, and they sent me in this room that looks sort of like a library, and he walks.
Speaker 1: In front of me.
Speaker 3: Literally, he's like going, it's a room between two rooms. The first time, he doesn't say anything. I don't say anything. I'm sitting there with literally Banjo's clipped to my ear, this little black denim scarred and white shirt and some black pennylovers that Danny Glover.
Speaker 1: Used to make fun of that. He said, Alice, why are.
Speaker 3: You wearing that? These pennylovers? Anyway, he stops and says.
Speaker 1: Either who are you? Who? I mean, what are you here for?
Speaker 3: I said, I'm Alice Fianda from Detroit City and Nashville, Tennessee.
Speaker 1: I want to make a movie about black cowboy.
Speaker 3: I think his wife has got kidnapped and Rake gang repped, and everybody else does want the wipe back, but he loves his wife and wants her back, and he likes security. Sat down beside me and he said, start that again, and I will tell you I toned it slower, and two things happen. He said, right then and there, I'm going to take you to the movie studios and we're gonna make that movie. He said right in that first time, he said, but you got to come back in two or three weeks, because he said, right now, I'm going to lay down a velvet carpet for my pearl and he was talking about Miles Davis. He was about to go do something with Miles and Davis. I wasn't even sure what exactly he said, and so you need to come back in three weeks, two or three. And I came back and he took me to two studios and the second studio bought that movie nice.
Speaker 1: And they didn't make it.
Speaker 3: I co wrote it with someone else, but they but they paid me well. And it was this cosmic colored cowboy. It was just way too ahead of its time, but it was. And I loved working with Quincy Jones. We had some great projects together and he's just such a brilliant creative. But one of the things he taught me that I feel really inspired the second half of my career and the reci Palmer Rihanna Giddens, he taught me what I did for Linda Martell.
Speaker 1: I hope I think reci and Rihanna would say this. I there my prols and in my courses.
Speaker 3: Why I teach Black Country is so I can lay down a velvet carpet for my pearls, my black pearls, so that people can understand the significance of Reina Roberts that for example, that she's subversive because she has all these she does things that people consider to be sins, and she is black woman inhabiting that, and she is it's fine that black women don't have to be perfect in country to be worthy, and that what other people consider to be wrong.
Speaker 1: Is it necessarily? Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: And that we don't have to be sanitized and perfect to be respected because country allows some real wildness, but it doesn't necessarily allow.
Speaker 1: Black characters wildness. They seem to have to be super perfect, and that's not right.
Speaker 4: I feel like it should be like that in all genres.
Speaker 3: Though. Absolutely it needs to be that because it's like that in a whole life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like when you say that, I feel like that's what you see a lot of women in hip hop reclaiming in the last few years.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And you know, one of my favorite poets is Missy Elliott. I just have to shout down with her when I think of storytelling traditions.
Speaker 1: She and I remember seeing her in a beautiful throwne.
Speaker 3: But I think that you're absolutely right, But we have to reclaim that people are imperfect. People are raggedy, but right at their best and at least that's who I am, and we got to claim that and acclaim.
Speaker 4: That absolutely Listen, they got to go get the book man, Alicia Randall My Black Country, A Journey through Country Music, Black Past, President Future. I do have one last question. Why do you think they try to erase so much of our people's involvement, Black people's involvement in the country music world.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people find black genius threatening. I think that after that whole welcome table thing, that after we've been treating culturally red lined out of something, the guilt and shame some people have. Roy Acuff, if he were here, I'd say the guilt and shame he had of never doing right by deft Bail. When people feel really guilty and really shamed, they sometimes don't want you to where near them.
Speaker 1: And I am thrilled that we are in a new day.
Speaker 3: Beyonce has helped been It's been a big part of bringing that day because what is being noticed here and some of that's on the breakfast club out there, is the existence of a global black audience for country.
Speaker 1: We haven't even talked about that that people listen.
Speaker 3: Black people listen to country in Africa and including make their own Black country there, but black people in this country also listen to country, and a larger number are going to now and it's the black genius. There has been so much black genius hidden in country that I think it's a great time to be celebrating and centering it and to realize, as I say, if country owes a great debt to black people.
Speaker 1: What in America doesn't. And that's why because they some people don't want to recognize the debt what they owe and this country.
Speaker 3: I want to end on that saying that Thomas Jefferson, when he was defining freedom, he had his British, the British documents and the French documents, but they all talked about freedom as legal and economic. And when you say life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, you know how we get to that Sally Hemmings, that black woman in his bed, that he understood all around him, that some black people embodied freedom even when they didn't have a legal right to it, even when they didn't have economic freedom. That freedom starts in the mind and some people, and that our American understanding of freedom is country music is black, and it has some English and Celtic in it.
Speaker 1: So when we understand.
Speaker 3: What freedom means in its ideal in America that is a co creation of black people and white people, just like country music.
Speaker 2: There you have it, Alice Randall. Ladies and gentlemen, make sure you think of a book right now, My Black Country. Yes, the countries music, Black past, present and future.
Speaker 4: Yes, the latest release off my book in print, Black Permi is publishing. But also this Wednesday from seven to eight thirty, you can catch me and Alice Randall and Roseanne Cash will be at the Brooklyn Public Library from seven to eight thirty having more conversations about My Black Country.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I'm so excited. I have to see so much of the Breakfast Club out there. I came all the way up from Nashville to need some new people.
Speaker 3: I'm Charles's country cousin, Auntie Country Auntie.
Speaker 1: I need, we need you. That's right, It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club