Kyrin Down: Welcome, Mere Mortalites, to another episode of the mere mortals meanderings. Indeed. This is where it's just the 2 of us today. You've got Kairan here on this side. And go on on the other side as well. Brilliant. And we are in different areas of the world now. I am here in Londrina in Brazil. This is Brazil. And we've got Juan still as usual in I call it. Brisbane, Australia. Brisbane, Australia. Yep. They, meanderings. This is why we're just gonna kind of, like, go with the flow, talk about observations, things that are popping up, interesting things. I've spent a week here in Brazil now. So, well, 6 days here in Brazil, I guess. So I've got a week of observations of the people, of the place, of myself, and perhaps what's, gonna happen next for me. And, we'll probably focus most of that of this episode on that. And then next week, we can do Juan's mysterious illness and
Juan Granados: and everything else in between. Yeah. I don't know. But I'm interested in this. I'm I'm interested in hearing how the trip's been so so far. And I I at least, I don't know where you wanna kick it off, but I'm I'm interested anyways on how So Karen had this idea. You might have heard it when we talked about it in the previous, big friend friendship group chat that we did. But it was all about Karen was planning basically on not sleeping and then trying to acclimatize straight away to the sleep patterns of being in Brazil. So, yeah, told you a little bit about it beforehand, but how do they go?
Kyrin Down: Yeah. Yeah. So we'll we'll start with myself, I guess, because that's the first thing I had on there. And the first thing I had of observation for myself was you can't catch on up on sleep. I I don't think it's possible, like, if you lose, 4 hours, and then you try and make it up for it by doing a 12 hour night the next night, assuming, you know, you you are you're sleeping 8 hours a night on average. I don't think it works like that. I heard this from Matthew Walker once, and it made sense to me, which was he said a similar thing, which is like, if you just can't catch up on it, it doesn't doesn't, like, work like that. And that that kind of just makes sense to me with in terms of, like, recovery of of, like, eating as well. If you if you only eat, you know, half as much one day, then you try and eat 1 and a half the next day. I I think it, like, messes around with your body and you it it won't be like you've eaten the same on each day. So, yeah, basically the fly. Everything because Brazil is 13 hours behind Australia. And I I was essentially, like, just trying to catch up 4 hours somewhere. And, and it yeah. It didn't it didn't really work. So very fitful on the plane coming over, just just cooked. I just felt really cooked and dirty. Everything went pretty well except for Qantas at the airport, which is freaking stressing me out, man. Because you get there, so it's a 5 AM flight. Sort of things? No. Domestic. Domestic from Brisbane to Melbourne. You've arrived there. We're, like, the only ones in the airport, whole bunch of us. And, you know, you go to the terminal to, like, click your boarding pass and something. And I remember, like, I didn't get any emails about a boarding pass. I'm like, oh, that's a bit strange. Go to the thing clicking it as like, this boarding pass won't let you get on. Sorry, it's not printable. It's only online. And you can kind of see some things online, but it it won't let you scan anything. And it's like, okay, well, I need some help here. Oh, no one starts work until 3:30 AM. The flight's at 5 and you see them, like, entering and everyone, like, is like me just being like, what the freak? Like, what's happening? And so puts puts into stark contrast their their message saying I'll be at the airport 2 hours beforehand. Well, I was and I spent half an hour of that just stressing out. So that was actually the worst bit of the entire flight. Qantas.
Juan Granados: What did you end up? What was this? What was the resolution with that one? The resolution was,
Kyrin Down: you know, 33:30 start AKA they start actually doing stuff at 3:45. And lady comes to like, the line that's been 4 and the line was formed into like the special needs assistance. You know, when people just start forming a line somewhere and everyone else joins in? Well, that's that's kind of what happened. She's like, no. No. No. You can't be over here. You need to go over here. And, then then she, she's like, okay. And then she's just manually calling, like, people go into Melbourne. You've got priority. Come to the front or something. It was just it was just Yeah. Chaotic. Yep. Professional. Yeah. But other than that, you know, ate food on the flights. Got there, arrived there. I don't think I posted it, and I might post it, but Lucas met me at the airport, which made everything much easier and breezier customs man getting into Brazil. I loved it. Super, super. Oh, really? Yeah. Yeah. Just just breeze walk through. Yeah, absolutely. Awesome. Yeah. I was. I'm just trying to think
Juan Granados: I'm trying to think what other airport it is that I went to. I think it might be Malaysia. I wanna call it Malaysia, but I'm pretty sure I just, like, literally, I, like, grabbed my bag and just walked straight out of that airport. There was just no customs at all. That's awesome. So if it was anything like that, I can imagine it'd just be so nice. It's just like, oh, yeah. Awesome. Yep. Yep. No form to fill out. You know, the guy just wanted to see my passport, and
Kyrin Down: that was it. You know, just just got through. Yeah. It was it was really good. So then the next thing I've noticed for myself was, I actually hit the ground running with my Portuguese and been pretty happy with that. So, when I got to Chile, that was very, very and so this was for the first time I was traveling and using Spanish. And I'd done practice beforehand. I I'd use Pimsleur, not Duolingo. I'm not sure if Duolingo was really a thing at the time, maybe. And the I remember having very lots of moments where I'd just be complete not understanding, asking for a brass ticket, asking to know where where is the bathroom, asking how do I get the SIM card? And it was just it was really stressful. I remember it was useful, but very stressful at the same time. Obviously, with Lucas here and, his girlfriend, Yara, she she she she doesn't really like to speak English, but she understands English really well. So between the 2 of them and Lucas is pretty pretty good at English. So between the 2 of them, they've just been helping me out. Like, I've I've spent basically all my time with them so far. So so, there's just been no need for those really stressful interactions apart from one where I got absolutely stitched up.
Juan Granados: We're walking around. There's always going to be a stitch up story.
Kyrin Down: Yeah. That was we're walking around for a large portion of the day and then we sat down, there was a McDonald's nearby and we're like, oh, yeah, well, it'd be nice to just like get an ice cream cone. And I was like, Yeah, I'll grab it. And Luke has told me before and he would probably say differently, but he told me to to, just get asked for for, you know, 3 basic ice creams, vanilla ice cream, the classic, sure, McDonald's McDonald's fair. And as I went there, I swear that he told me to order 3 Konos 3 Konos, which I just assumed was, you know, 3 cones in Portuguese. I don't I don't know the word for I hadn't learned the word for ice cream yet. Certainly hadn't learned the word for, you know, ice cream cone. So I was like, Yeah, cool. And what happened was I went to the went to the counter, and they were just dicking around. They were like exchanging money with themselves. I counted 3 different cashiers coming coming and going, and I'm, like, just sitting there waiting for probably about 5 minutes, and there's this big line forming behind me as well. And, you know, there's probably there's probably like, I don't know, 10 people, and I'm at the front of the line. So there's nothing wrong with that. It's not my fault. But, you know, there's a little bit of pressure now. Is rising nonetheless. And so I go there, and then the the final cashier who comes there is this really young girl. And she's she's like, you know, she says something really quickly. I have no idea what it is. I'm I assume it was just like, how can I help you? And I'm like, yeah, place corners. And she just, like, looked at me and was like, and
Juan Granados: I'm just like, oh, fuck. Cause there was no menu because we're in this like kind of. Yeah, like that section. So it's like that was that was the going in line and then it didn't work. It's like. Yeah. But yeah,
Kyrin Down: Because we're in this, like, it was almost like a imagine like a drive through section of an actual physical store on a main street where it was it's just like this little window off to the side where you could order desserts, and it's meant to be it's meant to be really quick. That's the whole point of this one little area. And I because it's this area, they don't have the normal menu, so can't even just point at the thing. And I'm just like, nah. And Lucas is sitting about 5 meters behind me. I'm like, get your ass here. Like, come here right now. He's like, no. No. No. You figure out, but get here right now. And it turns out to be, plus, sort of the etches sort of the etches. So So did he He's yeah. Yeah. He organized that. But, yeah, very, very annoying. I can also hear myself coming through on your side. Do you mind? I'm just turning that down a bit.
Juan Granados: The so what does Connor's actually mean then? Nothing. Nothing. It's not a word.
Kyrin Down: So So you just you up? Yeah. Yeah. It's just completely made up word. Yeah. Okay. There you go. If I if I had to if I had to, I I would have been able to get it. But it was one of those times where I was just like, I don't wanna deal with this stress. Like, just come over here. Just come over here. It's easier.
Juan Granados: So put me out of put me out of my misery here. It's also because it wasn't, I guess, like, really absolute levels of things that you have to do. Like, you if if that happened in another scenario, you just pull away from it and be like, I'm I'm not dealing with this, whatever. But it's like Yeah. Yeah. Because of the situation, you're pulling me out of it. I'm paying yeah. I'm paying for,
Kyrin Down: what? Yeah. It was, how how much did it cost for each of them? I think it was, plus hay ice, and so that would be about a dollar, Just under a dollar for each one of them. So I was paying essentially $3, you know, for for 3 ice cream cones. About I was gonna ask you that actually. So speaking about costs and whatnot,
Juan Granados: what you're seeing in Brazil in terms of comparisons to at least, like, an Australian equivalent, Have you gotten a bit of
Kyrin Down: a grasp of what that looks like? Yep. I'll I'll get to that in my la, after my last myself section. So the last last one for just myself is, I'm I'm getting back into this kind of like ultra friend friendly mode is what I call it where it's, because I'm just now walking out and about so much. You know, I'm working outdoors in the in the park and it's kind of just like in South Bank, where there's just a lot of traffic, a lot of volume of people walking through. There's a literal walking track right next to this kind of lagoon park area. So I'm I'm a warning to all Brazilians. I will talk to you. Watch out. And the classic thing like the best Portuguese that Karen can muster. Oh, man. Okay. So I just yesterday, we're doing our thing. Lucas was teaching a client. And so I'm like, I'll go around for a walk around this little park, probably about a it's a kilometer loop. And I'm walking around. I'm just like, you know, seeing the size of the little amphitheater thing. Okay, that's cool. There's, you know, some soccer fields and stuff. And I see this girl crossing the street with a dog, and I'm like, oh, okay. Yeah. I'll I'll talk to her. And so she comes across, and I'm like, oh, you know what? I'm gonna ask her within your pet shop is. Yeah. Where could I buy a dog? And, you know, I'm just asking her, like, oh, what type of dog do you have? The the classic, you know, I'm sure she's got this dog just to, like, you know, use it to be able to meet guys just like just like my brother is. Not to meet guys, maybe. I don't know. I don't know what he's up to. He's got all sorts of random stuff going on. And the I would say from this interaction that I had with her and once again, it was like the chaos of really putting into contrast. I'm really good in in 1 on 1 settings when it gets to more dynamic 2 or more people. Not not my forte. Not not, that's not where I shine through. And so when it was just me and her, I, you know, we're chatting, and I could probably understand maybe 70% of what she was saying. And, you know, we're just talking about dogs, we're talking about my friend Lucas, she actually had inadvertently kind of known known him through a friend of hers. So obviously, laundrette, because she was a PT. So know, in the same same sort of like workout physical space. And, as we were walking the dog, her dog picked up a dead bird in its mouth. And she's like, no. No. Salta. Salta. Polo. Salta. And she's like trying to control it and the and it's like a husky, so it's like really quick. It's relatively big, so it's like moving away. I'm like trying to help, but I'm also like, oh, man. I don't want to put my hand in this dog's mouth. And, you know, I'm sure it doesn't have rabies because it's it's, it's a pet, but still, you never know. And and then, like, she gives me her phone. She gives me her dog after she gets the the bird out of its mouth, and she runs across the street into this gym to wash her hands. And she's gone for, like, 3 or 4 minutes, man. I could have just walked off with her dog and phone if I wanted to.
Juan Granados: That's a very trusting Brazilian woman.
Kyrin Down: Yeah. Yeah. Exactly. I'm a I'm a trustworthy gringo. And as when she comes back, you know, I'm like, alright. I'll go on for the kill, like, ask for a number. And Justice, I'm like, getting out my phone, put her number in. Another lady with a dog comes by, and then it's just like, oh, crap. This is chaos. Like, they're they're speaking in Portuguese really fast about, like, allergies and dogs. I could kind I've I understood maybe 10% of that conversation. And I, you know, I'm just sitting on the sidelines really not being able to contribute. And now we're chatting. We were kind of like all in this little group dynamic for maybe 10 minutes. And I was just like, damn, if I could have just gotten away that 20 seconds earlier, that would have been perfect. You would have been. But now I'm Would have been loading. Now I'm in this like, alright, well, I have to kind of it's like I have to kind of not be rude, but it's like I need to take her aside for a little bit just to finalize getting a number. But then it's like, you know, this is like, you'll be like, oh, I thought they were together. Yeah. Yeah. It's just just chaos. Just chaos, man. So, and this happened a couple other times. You know, I went with Lucas and met some of his friends. And I'm not the gringo who's like, unable to communicate, but like communicating with my body and stuff like that. Now I'm more just like, yo, yo, you know, what's up? I'll do my things. But I'm not I'm not. I'm not going to jump in with 10 different people and try and play the jokester or,
Juan Granados: yeah, whatever. So that was my my last Yeah. You're not you're not necessarily, I guess, Karen. Not necessarily, like, supremely expressive through a body,
Kyrin Down: like, through your body more so how you speak. So what do you what do you like? Like, if you're on your own and you're in a foreign country and you don't speak the language and maybe in a group setting, what what do you like? Do you try and communicate with them even if you can't communicate verbally?
Juan Granados: It's odd because I don't think that that
Kyrin Down: has a good like a. Yeah. I've never been in that scenario.
Juan Granados: I've never yeah. Haven't been in a situation where I've been in a country where I didn't speak the language on my own. Maybe Japan? Maybe Japan? Better be the most. Yep. And even and then my only default is that in Japan, I was probably, like, more active with my arms and, expressiveness. I I guess the example is specifically is when we went to the the club in Roppongi. And That's what I was dancing around and we saw the guy who said you were you were, reminded me Harry.
Kyrin Down: Harry Harry Kane. And
Juan Granados: I think in that that particular setting, it was more about, yeah, energy or movement as opposed to whatever the hell I was saying because no one would have understood. I actually I don't know if you've noticed it or remember this, but I actually went out one of those nights on my own with a big group of Japanese people. And you and Joey weren't even there. I think you actually went back to the, the, the place where we were staying in Osaka. And I went out on my own with this big group of Japanese people and had, like, just oh, maybe Joey did come along with me. Maybe that if I can recall. But that particular night, we, like, barely spoke English, and it was more just a case of hand signaling, like, you know, emotions type of style. So I would and I would have said if I didn't think about that, that's probably the default that I would attribute myself to.
Kyrin Down: Yeah. Interesting. And that makes sense, man, because it's you know, when I was with Lucas here, it was the first three days. I I was with him 247 basically, apart from going to sleep. That was we were just together the entire time. Him, myself, him and and Yara. And, you know, that that is another thing of myself where it's like, damn, I just need, I need like, at least 3 hours just to chill out and do my own thing. Because just being with people all the time, even if they're great friends, I it just exhausts me really, really. The heck. Yep. Yeah. Yeah. So that those first 3 days, super, super fun. But man, you know, if that extended out into like, 3 months of of just constant being with someone, that that would definitely get, just, like, physically exhausting. At the end of the day, I was just like, oh, you know, we didn't even walk around that much. I don't feel but it was it was pretty, pretty, pretty heavy in that respect.
Juan Granados: And because we're I know people at home are probably wondering this question because at least I am. At least for yourself. Have you gotten back into the swing of your normal training? And are you training in a Yeah, any fun spots at the moment? Yeah, yeah, for sure. So the
Kyrin Down: I probably had the about a week off before I actually traveled as well. So I was coming in really, really fresh, like, let my body relax, and and and refresh, which was good after, like, a really hard training for probably, like, the last 4 months. And then yeah. Well, it was really good because we just had, like, a little ramp up. So we were only doing, like, these one and a half hour sessions roughly, you know, a little bit of stretching and then maybe, like, a little bit of plant or a little bit of handstands, but not like full volume ones. But the last 2 days with Lucas is like myself where he'll do 3 or 4 hour sessions. So that's where we've gotten into full on let's let's get after this and and work out hard. So, yeah, there's this nice area. It's it's, yeah, like I said, just really nice area. Some pull up bars, lots of people going by there. There's a bar right next to it. I'll take a video shortly and post it on bar. It's like an actual drinking bar. Yeah. So so on Sunday when we were there, there's people you know, 5, 10 meters away from us, who would just full on like chugging beers drinking having laughs and stuff while we're working out. So it's really, really cool. Yeah. It's a kind of it spills out from the bars is pretty big, and they'll play live music. It's kind of like an alternative scene as well. So it's, it's, you know, think more people with tattoos, more, perhaps won't have normal, you know, 9 to 5 jobs and things like that. So, yeah, you get a, like, an interesting bus, a bunch of characters there as well. So, yeah, pretty, that's very fun. Yeah. No. It's cool. Which, do you wanna talk about the, people or or Sao Paulo and Londrina? Or should we do Nana or some boostograms? What what's what are you feeling?
Juan Granados: Let me let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's let's quickly.
Kyrin Down: Hear the. The money side first and then we'll get into the people. Okay. Cool. Cool. Yeah. So for those who don't know, Boostagram is where we thank those people at home who have been helping to support the show. And there's actually a thing Adam Curry was was highlighting on one of the recent episodes where he's like, you know, a boost to gram is not a message with money attached, which is kind of what I've been saying sometimes. And he was actually like, no, no, no, you need to reinforce it is support with a message attached. So these are all the people who have been helping to support our show financially speaking, because this does take time, effort, money, all of these sorts of things to, to create this product, and we put this out free of value for those at home. You can, you know, tune in free. Never support us if you want, but the the show needs your help to continue on as well. And, if if we've put out something good enough and you're enjoying it enough, we do just ask that you that you help, return some of this value. You can do this in the multiple ways. You could do it via PayPal or something like that. But the way we like it is doing it directly within a podcasting app, where you get all sorts of benefits like chapters, like transcripts, like the people tag. So you can click on links and all these sorts of things. And you can also send in a boost to gram, which, Juan is about to read out now. It's, satoshis with a message attached. So, Juan, you wanna jump in? Because we, need Correct. We didn't do any last week, so we might need to do a make good, I think, for one message. We didn't get too many.
Juan Granados: Correct. Correct. So I've got one actually here from the 6th April. So technically we had we were sad puppy last week. Mhmm. Technically. Yeah. Thank you. So technically, last week was sad puppy, so we wouldn't have called out anything. But we've got 2 that I can call out. 1 from Macintosh. He says completely random. J r r Tolkien did a translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. There you go. Yeah. I didn't even know that. And so that was on the 20.5.21 100 sets that you can found.
Kyrin Down: JRR Tolkien's like a pretty interesting guy in the sense. You know, obviously, he wrote the Lord of the Rings, which is one of the classic books, trilogies. What would you call it? Fantasy genres. But, man, that dude had pretty extensive knowledge of languages. He I think he actually, you know, because he wrote an an entirely new language for the middle earth, and I think multiple ones for each kind of like, you know, the dwarves for the elves and things like that. And like characters symbolism like he got he's kind of like that Joseph Campbell type of person where he'll dive deep into, like, you know, ancient mythology, symbolism, tribal stuff, all that sort of thing. Yeah. He's, I think there's a, like, a biography or a autobiography maybe of him, which I want to read because he seems like a really cool dude.
Juan Granados: He seems like a very different, like a very alternative character, like alternate character, the usual like individual that you hear about. Yep. Thank you very much, McIntosh. And then the other one from Oscar, Oscar Merry, he sends through the big papa 50,000 sets and using fountain, of course. And he says revisiting this such a great interview and primer on the value for value ethos. We'll be coming back to it every couple of years, I think. I'm assuming that's your conversation with, actually, Jonathan, remember exactly which which conversation you'd probably be referring to?
Kyrin Down: You know, I if I had to guess, I would have said the Adam Curry one. But I haven't people I have not had much time to do things here. I I opened my laptop up after, I think, 4 or 5 days was the first time I've I've, opened it up. The charger that I thought would work here doesn't work. So I had to I couldn't have I could have only used my laptop for about 2 hours before it died of battery anyway. So, you know, I needed time to to do all that. So, no, I haven't actually had time to, to figure out which one of those episodes it was. I will try and do that for next week's, but likely it's Adam Curry's conversation, but who does? Who knows? Thank you, Oscar.
Juan Granados: Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Yeah. Thank you very much. That's that's that's huge coming through obviously in this time and age. But yeah. No. Back to your point, Karen, of supporting supporting the podcast is is we definitely ask obviously from that front to be the support. We do have a PayPal. We sent all of the PayPal that does come through to supporting just, developers basically in in the space of Valley Valley. But the support that you sent through helps us to keep on keeping on, especially, you know, Karen's family traveling through Brazil. And, yeah, takes a certain amount of effort to put these together. So the support for that does help out.
Kyrin Down: Yeah. For sure. You asked me before one about prices. Now, what do you actually what would you expect prices to be like here?
Juan Granados: I would have expected to be lower, like a more comfortable in comparison to at least the Australian lifestyle. So when you said the cost of the ice cream, so I kind of went, ah, that's like, same same. So my default would have thought, hey, bigger portions, cheaper prices. There's a bit of there's a bit of it feels cheaper. Is that true?
Kyrin Down: This is what I've noticed from basically everywhere that I've been. And this this was going back to 20 18, 2019 as well. So you know what? 5, 6 years ago, and we're recording here on 10th April 2024. For those who don't know. The the prices everywhere are usually equal from what I've seen to Australian standards. Now this says with some caveats. First caveat is if you go into, you know, malls, like a really nice mall here, I'm closer to the center. So obviously, I'm I'm not staying in favelas. I'm not staying in real outskirts of towns, you know, even here in Londrina. And I'll talk about why it's kind of similar to Brisbane soon. Even where I'm at right now, it would be the equivalent of even though I'm outside of the city center, you know, I'm around Chermside. So it's still a decent area, still a nice, a nice place, and it's still got a massive mall there. So I've found that prices very, very similar. It's only in like the small niche thing. So one, if you went out to the kind of like favelas or markets and went to stores there, they would be cheaper, just because, you know, it's more more dangerous there, more dirty, more, you know, rent and things would be cheaper there. So therefore, the prices around that area would would also they would they would find a way of making it cheaper when it's close to the city or when it's close to the nice places where rent is more equivalent to Australian standards, then yes. Yes. It's, the prices are very similar. And it's only in small little things where it'll be, in a bakery. Perhaps You might find bread, which is a little bit cheaper, but, the first the first place we went into, Sao Paulo, which Lucas described as it was medium. It was medium. He he said it was, you know, upper, upper middle class perhaps in Sao Paulo, but there's still a lot of razor wire and fences, a lot of double locked doors. So you enter in 1, close that and open the next door behind you, that sort of deal. Even even now when I was walking through a little market that they had their meat was about the same price as, you know, lollies, drinks, milk, cheese, all the kind of like classic fare vegetables. They're all pretty pretty similar in price. And, yeah, it's it's just kinda like happy hour chops though. There's this thing called chops where it's it's just like a, you know, beer. That's that's half price that that was pretty cool. I'm like, alright. Yeah, this is this is the kind of thing. That was pretty good. Half price beer. I'm all about that. And there's a question, I guess, for you. People then come into Australia. I, they generally say like, Australia is so expensive, but but I'm like thinking, okay, why though? Because the if you come to Australia, the prices are roughly the same from what I gather. I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong. Like, maybe there's a slight discrepancy, but it's maybe like 10%. It's not it's not like it's a 100% more expensive to buy meat in Australia. Is it possible to get cheaper food other than the, you know, Woolies or Coles type things in Australia? And if you go and if you do, where do you go to? Do you have to go out of the city? You know, do you have to go if I went to, you know, far far West Brisbane, if I go to Ipswich,
Juan Granados: do the prices get cheaper there? Because I don't think they really do. Right? The the the state pretty consistent. No. They don't. No. They don't. The this it's fairly federated in terms of what they all end up costing from a brand's perspective. Like, if one ALD charges something for one place, it's generally the same across the board. That's not gonna change. It's gonna be more so the way you'd see the discrepancy would be like independence or markets, you know, like a market freaking out whoop whoop land, but maybe close to a farm. Yeah. Maybe you're gonna get a bit of out, like, price valuation because there's less middlemen and less costings behind it. That would be the only thing, I guess, in Australia. So I I a 100% would agree that you can get cheaper,
Kyrin Down: you know, meat, vegetables from fruit, and maybe some grains as well, like just raw grain of raw flour or something. But if I wanted, you know, cheaper Oreos, I don't think I'm going to be able to find your place.
Juan Granados: No, everything's gonna be basically the same price everywhere you go. Right? Yeah. Even if you go into, like, the small The only place I would say in Australia, and it's not that it's like you have to go super far away. It's more in the the place that congregates and sells in gigantic bulk like a Costco or something equivalent. Right? That's where you see it. Whereas, I guess, what you're describing there, it's more of a
Kyrin Down: it's more of the location that dictates what the prices can be paid for these things. I think so. Because once, you know, I haven't really gone out to deep favela land, and I'm not gonna do that.
Juan Granados: You know, money How was gonna that was gonna be my next question on vacations. I was gonna say, when when are you going to the the deepest the deepest part of
Kyrin Down: Brazil? There. That's, I mean, look, so just, you know, I flew into Sao Paulo. In my, I was on a window seat, so I could see out onto the onto the city. Ginormous, Just ginormous, man. It it reminded me of, did you ever see the movie dread? So it's about, like, judge dread. It was, I don't know, in the 2010 sometime. Anyway, like, the the the Judge Dredd world is, for those who don't know, it's like a kinda like apocalyptic type real dystopian scenario of the human race. They've got a lot of technology, but it's unevenly distributed. So there's basically like all of these huge areas of kind of wasteland or like just really shitty crap houses, lots of crime. And they've got these massive, gigantic buildings, which I can't remember what they call it. They're like, super, super buildings or super, super housing, super apartments, something like that. And you know, in this building, it will house 100,000 people or something like this. That's what it felt like flying in because there was just so many apartment buildings, men, apartment buildings for days. You know, flying into Tokyo, I can't remember. I I don't think I got a good view of the city, but I've seen some photos of of Tokyo, and it's just We wouldn't have had very good view anyways. No, because the the airport's not that close. The one that we flew into at least wasn't the the real one close one to the city. And I think it was cloudy when we flew in. Or what did we find? No, I flew in separately from you guys. When? But, you know, it was it was a nice clear day. I could see everything. And it just reminded me of dread where it was just like, holy shit. This is a lot of people here, man. Just so many buildings, so many. And they're all this kind of like drab, same color as well. This kind of like creamy, creamy yellowy type thing. And, yeah, it just very very very yeah but I don't know it it just it just kind of blew me away flying in just being like, damn, that's a lot of people here.
Juan Granados: And Sao Paulo It's a good perspective. It's a good perspective on it. So Has 14,000,000 the laundry arena sort of like, Brisbane.
Kyrin Down: Yeah. 14,000,000 people in Sao Paulo. So half of Australia and just this one, you know, in my eyesight kind of deal. So just just putting that into context. Londrina. So, you know, a couple of days in Sao Paulo, with Lucas and his and his, Lucas's kind of like family's apartment. And then we went out, took a 6 hour bus ride onto Londrina once again, like trying to sleep on a bus. Not didn't lost sleep there. And Forget that. Yeah. We you can just feel the difference. Right? Even though there's still kind of the security of, you know, razor wire or the, like, sharp things on top of walls, basically everywhere. It's just much safer. There's just people walking around all the time. They don't have a river running through the the city like Brisbane does, but they've got a really big lake, which kind of replicates that same symbol sort of atmosphere of being close to the water. Just lots of people adding about, you know, women walking out on their own couples. Yeah. The it just it feels how would I describe it even just like, you know, the width of the streets, the way people park, the the type of stores and shops, you'll see just like the layout. Yeah, I'm like, oh, yeah, you know, this is, it's Brazilian, it's still definitely Brazilian. There's there's hints of that everywhere. The way that people park and the way that they come at. Alright, so just the way they come out onto the street, right, you know, in Australia, it's it's very rare that you'll like poke your nose out onto a busy road, where people would have to swerve around your car. The only reason you do that is if there's literally like a truck blocking your your way or something. Can you you you you can't get out without having to look out? People here, man, they just come out. They they can they have perfect vision of the road, but they will still come out enough so that you have to swerve. And that and they're just fine sitting there and and parking there. That's just the normal thing. So,
Juan Granados: it's just very normal to hear the Like, at that point, you can't find as well, just view into the freaking street?
Kyrin Down: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. I I don't know if it's because they don't have the the police enforcing is not so great. So it requires human enforcing of, like, brake checking people or, like, if someone's coming up really quick on your side, you kind of, like, swerve a little bit just to, just to, like, put the fear in their hearts and to slow them down. I'm wondering if it's like a self enforcing policing thing going on here.
Juan Granados: It's a self regulating way of of of, like, law and punishment.
Kyrin Down: Yeah. It's the the driving is certainly better than Colombia though. I'll I'll give them that. So, you know, points to Brazil for for that. I'm driving. I was gonna say what about honking? Honking, not too much, man. And and they are their honks that I I would say the decibels are lower on their cars. Some of them aren't even that aggressive with the with the loudness of it. It's more like a beep beep beep beep beep. Whereas in Colombo, it's it's full on like whining. So, yeah, that that's been pretty good. The the thing I felt was as well in in Sao Paulo, I felt totally fine safety wise. Lucas was really warning me, and and he's like he's like more jacked up and eyeing and looking out and and very, very wary of people. I think he's yeah. It could just be he's more wary than I am or he he judges people really quickly, in terms of is this gonna be a friend or foe type thing? Whereas for me, I'm just like, I'm kind of neutral about everyone, that comes my way. He was actually asked me, like, when I met the girl, he was like, oh, was it the girl with the yellow pants? And I was like, dude, I don't know. Like, I'm I don't know. And I I think that's probably a thing about me and that I'm I'm not that observant of the small minutiae of the individual things. It's more of like the larger scale. That's that's that's where I I'm I'm more observant. So, I felt totally fine in Sao Paulo, but he was like, no. No. No. Like, be a bit more careful. Londrina, it's it's it's more safer, but he's still like, you know, don't don't leave
Juan Granados: you. I guess I guess what he says, be a bit more careful. What what I guess do you think he means by that? Like, give you give us an example of, hey. Someone's traveling to Brazil or anywhere else in particular. What is it that you are doing now that the suggestion of be more careful is? So,
Kyrin Down: I have my backpack right. I had it just slung over one shoulder. He's like, no. Put put both on. Put it on both shoulders because it's it's more easier to just, like, grab it and run off, and it'll get yanked out of you if you've got it on one shoulder. Whereas if you got on 2, they'd have to, like, literally slice open the bag or just straight up, you know, like, gunpoint or knife point rob you. So safety wise, like, the only thing that really makes a difference was I I just wonder if the violence can be really random and sudden is and which is kind of what I've heard before when I was looking up group chats and links and things like this where I was yeah. In Brazil, it can just it can just happen out of nowhere. So it can feel like a normal every day and then just something happens. So, and once again, this is much more likely to happen in South Sao Paulo or Rio than in Londrina. You know, Londrina's, I think Lucas said 600,000 people. So, yeah, the the difference. Wow. Way smaller. Yeah. Which is why why I'm saying it's kind of like that Brisbane esque type type deal. Yeah. Cool. All right. Well, the last thing I had here was just the people. So the the friends friends are so kind. You know, Lucas and Yada have been and their families have been amazing to me, you know, treating me to dinner, taking me out places, showing me things, you know, making sure that I'm having a good time looking after me being, you know, setting me up with, like, this this room here. I'm I'm kinda like renting it from Yara, but, you know, it's it's, like, just so, so generous. But then strangers can be a little bit standoffish or wary. So we took multiple Ubers, for example, and, you know, they they didn't really wanna humor my my shitty Portuguese because I was like, I'll sit up in the front and I'll I'll I'll try and What do you what do you mean by that? What do you mean? Like, you know, I'll I'll ask a question and and, the you know, obviously, I'm not going to get it across really well. I'm asking about something about someone merging in traffic or the the type of neighborhoods that there were in Sao Paulo, where was he from this sort of thing. And like he didn't really understand. I can get that Lucas in the back will then ask the question to the guy, and then he'll respond in, like, 1 or 2 word answer. And so, you know, in in that case, it's like, alright. You know, maybe this this dude's been driving all day, he doesn't wanna have a conversation doesn't feel like talking that that's that's fine. When it was, you know, 4 or 5 of those in a row. That's that's when I was like, oh, okay, well, there was one really friendly Uber driver and Lucas has had a really big chat with him. So that was cool. But, yeah, I don't know. It it it can just feel like it might be it might be where just because of that little bit of danger aspect, you just do just have to be wary of of other people, especially especially young men, I guess. I even noticed just, you know, it's just all the things. Like in Australia, I'll spread my shit out everywhere. If I'm at the the workout park, I'll have stuff over here. I'll leave these bands lying up over there. I'll I'll I'll feel fine walking away from my phone and my wallet, and and I'll walk, you know, 20, 100 meters away. I'll go to the bathroom across the soccer field and just leave all my shit there. Whereas here, yeah, you just keep your stuff a lot more closer to yourself and you don't really walk too far away from it. So it's just it's just one of those things where it's like just got to be kind of kind of careful because, you know, you never know.
Juan Granados: Yeah. Just awareness. I mean, like, that's that's the thing with like awareness of the of the places that you're in as well. You know, and I think that's what in in travels and honestly, it would be fun to have like, we've postulated about of doing a specific one on traveling. So there there's a couple of things that are quite niche and specific to it, but I think there's an awareness of or an expectation that if we if you come from countries like Australia or Switzerland, you're just predetermined to have this built in. Like, I I can leave my phone or I can leave my wallet and I'll just find it. In in Taiwan, we left our passports at the airport, drove 2 and a half hours in a taxi to the hotel, realized we didn't have the passports to check into a hotel. The taxi driver willingly was like, I'll drive you guys back. And then we found the passports where they were at the airport, and there was someone guarding the course. Now that doesn't happen everywhere. Right? And so I think it's like an awareness piece that you know? And I think it's good because you've been to South America, in other places, not Brazil, but other places. So you kinda know anyways what to expect. Did you do any research yourself
Kyrin Down: of what that awareness or expectation was, or did you rely more so on Lucas or just a a bit of a gamble on like, oh, that's what I just I think that feels good for these sorts of things. You you just see what other people are doing. You know, if the way they hold their bags, the way they walk on the street, their way they will interact with other random people of, you know, like a beggar coming up to you or or something like that. So, yeah, you just you just kinda get a feel for watch watch and see what other people do is generally whilst it won't it won't get you into, like, massive trouble, but it can kind of lead you down the wrong path as well in the sense where, you know, I lined up like all the other fools in the airport in the in the random line just because that's what someone else did. So I was like, alright. Well, I guess I'll I'll line up here. So yeah, this it's it's one of those ones where it's like monkey see, monkey do. Usually, it won't have catastrophic circumstances for most of the time, you know, that that it generally generally generally, you should follow the trend. I don't know about that. Maybe 50% of the time, and you just have to be selective of which 50%. So, yep. Alright. Now when I fit right in here, and why why do I fit right in? What what would be the reason?
Juan Granados: One aspect I'm gonna say is people don't wear many shoes or socks.
Kyrin Down: You
Juan Granados: know, kind of? 2 could be there's a lot of bulky. Yeah. Yeah. He got it. There you go. It's the Baldies. They Karen's gonna get on the freaking what's it called? Baldy The bold Baldy Billards,
Kyrin Down: date matching or whatever it is, the app that we talked about. Plenty of We are for those who don't know, when I was when we were in Canberra, last altogether. Canberra or Melbourne? Sorry. Melbourne for the, for the, for Joey's wedding in back in August. We're coming up with names and chat JPT was suggesting bold bold purple exclusive app for for dating. I wonder it was well, it was like chrome dome cupids or things like that. And, you know, yeah, yeah, things like that. Man, poor Brazilians, they have not inherited the strong Colombian slash slash Mexican genes of not not balding. There's a there's a lot of dudes here just, you know, right, right in the back or coming up in the front as well. You know, mostly it's it's like older older guys, and, you know, they'll what I what I've noticed is there's not many dudes who just full full on shave it off, unless they're kind of like darker skinned. Don't know why, but, like, the whitish looking guys because they've got a lot of European influence, at the south, kind of like the Argentina type thing. And then in the north, it's the the more native darker, darker people. So you get this, there is a lot of mixing of colors here, probably more so than Australia, of of really dark people and and rather white people. And yep. Yeah. They're just they're not shaving their heads either. Come on, people. Like, don't just don't don't don't let it, don't let it thin out like that. It's it's a bad look. Got gotta gotta take take control of that. Whole bunch of Baldi's, but they yeah. I can't see it. Yeah. But it's not it's not like, and I I feel like the the amount of barbershops in a country will relate directly to the amount of, strongness of the genes in their hair because in Mexico, you couldn't walk more than 3 blocks without finding a barbershop of some sort of some sort. True. Here you can you can go you can go for days. You can walk for days. You can walk around the entire city and not find one. So, yeah, that's
Juan Granados: a that is that's a good observation, actually. Like, you know, the services would be there in place for the things that's needed. But if a lot of people don't have hair, well, you don't get too many. Exactly. Exactly.
Kyrin Down: My last my last observation about the people is I've not been wowed by the guys or girls in terms of, physical appearance, in terms of, attractiveness. Actually, One of the things that you'd you'd, hear about Brazil, and I don't know if you've heard the stereo stereotype, but it's like the big bundas. You know, they've got really big asses, you know, the Brazilian booty cream, Brazilian bum bum cream. Sorry. Stereotypes of, like, you know, just a lot of personality in the in the front. A lot of lot of character in the back. And I'm referring to the the boobs and bum there for people who are not watching the video. The I haven't seen it, man. I haven't seen the big Brazilian booty. So I will say, I have not seen them in what what you would probably describe as their natural environment, which is either at the beach or at the club and dancing. So I have not been to either of those two places. And the one the one place where I did see, a girl dancing, She was she was like, you know, not bad looking, but not like great looking either. But then when she started to dance, I was like, okay. She's she's actually like become way sexier now. The way she moves her body. I'm like, okay. It's like change the dynamic. Yeah. All of a sudden the movement and the Yeah. And here's my my final observation was you're all people ask you, are you are you a boob or butt guy? You know, boobs boobs boobs a butt. And this is just like a guy thing to say. And, I feel like the question should now become for myself at least. Are you a boob or a butt or a back guy? Because the I've I don't know what it is, like in the last year or so, I've just found something super, super attractive about seeing, like, a girl's, like, upper back or lower back. Like an open one of those open air dresses type of deal where, you know, the front will cover it a lot, but it'll be really like low low cut in the back. As sexy as hell, man. That's, I'm a back guy. I'm a back guy. What can I say? You know, I'll be a butt guy over boobs, but I'm a bat guy. There was this girl. She was she was walking with a limp. And I it was really strange because I was just like, oh, this is one of like the more attractive girls that I'd seen in Sao Paulo. And she was just walking along the street, and she kinda had this little bit of a limp. And, as I, like, looked at her proportions more, I was like, okay. I think she might have some sort of physical deformity of of, you know, it could be like Crohn's disease. It could be it could be something. I'm not sure exactly what it was, But she was really, really attractive. We hear the mere mortals like, Karen loves the disabled girls. You got me. You got me. And as it you know, and I was like, man, that's actually a really like really attractive girl, you know, unfortunate, whatever, whatever she has going on with her physically, but really, really attractive. And then, you know, because I'm because I'm sneaky. And I was like, as as as we walked past and, you know, 5 meters past, I've I've quit lip back. And she was wearing a shirt, which was yeah. Once again, like, really low cut in the back. I could see almost her entire back. I'm like, oh my god. Dream girl right here. This is crazy.
Juan Granados: The dream for car. A great open back. A little bit of a limp possibility of disability. And Brazilian couldn't couldn't add add up more good good qualities here.
Kyrin Down: Yeah. Yeah. So that's that's, that's my initial observations. Gringo observations of, being here in Brazil. What's next for me? I'm gonna be going to some small towns or smaller towns like Cianorche. That's, I think Lucas told me a 100,000 people, and then Manduri, his his hometown of 3,000 people. So that'll be that'll be like proper Brazil out there. I wanna go to some events. So they've got this, like, expo here in in Londrina for the next couple of days, where it's kind of like could be the equivalent of, a rodeo or like a big rodeo in in in, imagine if the rodeo came to Brisbane and they also had lots of live music there. That's and so, you know, the echo, it's kind of like the echo. Yeah.
Juan Granados: So right. I was gonna say is it is it kind of like the echo? Yeah. Really used to show here in Australia. And
Kyrin Down: yeah, now that I've got, like, a little room here, I've I've set out on my stuff. I'm kind of settling into a routine. I'm working out with Lucas. We're gonna be traveling bits and bits and, forward and back a bit. But, yeah, just just want to try and get out to events and, like, latching on to opportunities of doing things Some of Lucas' friends do, like, this yoga slash thing, and one of them does stand up paddle boarding in that lake. And, like, oh, yeah. Like, you know, it's not it's not something I'd really jump out on in Australia. But here, it's like, I'm just trying to trying to get out more, take more opportunities to use my Portuguese as well. Which is possible. It's possible.
Juan Granados: I get I've gotten some compliments on it. I mean, that's a good thing. And I mean, you put in a lot of effort before you head it off over there. Actually, this might be an interesting question for people. Are you doing any other Duolingo or anything while you're there now, or is it just because you're in the environment, that's your training? I haven't had time.
Kyrin Down: I'd I'd like to. I've bought myself a book here to be able to do my standard thing of, you know, writing down example sentences, phrases, conjugations of of weird verbs of of things like that. I've got a list on my phone of random, like, random words of Lucas's slang. Lucas is, he's not he's not Bogan, but he he's he'd be like the equivalent would be like his oka. You know, he's got a bit of he's got a bit of strong Brazilian in them. So he'll he'll say words like to say oh, which is I'm full. And when he said that, in front of his girlfriend's aunt's kind of like family, They're like, no, no, don't say that. She's like, don't say that. Say say like sates speech or tushayo sounds like really oka sounds bogan. So, like, he's he's teaching me a lot of things. So to to to to to shale to shale. So t o. To show. And so it's such a To satisfy to satisfy to satisfy to. And yeah. Then and then I've got, you know, Vasadakki, which is, like, get fuck out of here. Things like that. And then I'm just like learning general things. So sweet tooth, for example, is is not sweet tooth. It's, Fordamigang or Fordamiginia, which means, like, a big ant or a little ant because ants like sweet things. So if you got a sweet tooth, you're a Fordham McAllen. Yeah. Okay. So I'm a Fordham McAllen. Yeah. Just just lots of random random stuff like that. Got a couple of books here that I want to be trying to read. So, you know, they've got Portuguese. The book behind me is is all about what's that book about? It's about, peyote peyote and a Brazilian guy who went to the the US and, you know, met one of the the peyote masters and and things like that. So, I haven't had time to really get into a routine yet. Maybe in the next week or 2, I'll I'll get a chance to try and do that. But what that will look like, like I said, I want to try and get out of this room. I wanna try and spend as minimal time as possible. So I might do real intense kind of like an hour or 2 of study of use a bit of Duolingo here, write some stuff in the book, and, like, really try and focus on learning some phrases, some verbs, some grammar, and then get out and go to a like a cafe or something can and just like, you know, buy a juice or something and then just sit in the cafe and read or or hit the streets and just talk to people and just wander around?
Juan Granados: Well, it's in the doing. I mean, I mean, I will say it's always in the doing of the philosophy being the best, right, the effective philosophy. And honestly, if the end outcome is to talk to people in Portuguese, there's lots of things you can do obviously in the reading and the Duolingo or the like, but doing the actual thing is gonna be the best rep so you can get into learning it. So but it was good. I'm pleased that, you know, it's you put it in enough of hard yards that it feels like it's possible even at the very beginning. Yeah. Because I know in in your initial trip to South America, at the very beginning, there was there was still a little bit of iffiness with the Spanish, and it took a little bit for you to, like, really get yourself going. Yeah. I'd say it probably took,
Kyrin Down: probably about 3 months until I got to the level where I'm at right now. So I've kind of, like, just just cut out 3 months worth of bullcrap, which is
Juan Granados: which is good which is good. Not not bullcrap. Just good. Yeah. Which which means you can now you can
Kyrin Down: focus more on the enjoyment and other few other things than it is specifically. Exactly. 3 months of, of less stress. And because Lucas wants to practice his English as well, we're doing kind of half half, which gives me a break as well. So I'm not using Portuguese the entire time, which is mentally draining that that that that that messes you up. Speaking of Lucas, he was in the chat and he was just talking some shit about Sao Paulo. He's saying it's the rock city And Brodie Brodie Place is also here, and he is asking, what are people appearances like? Obesity, etcetera, versus Australia. Look, probably similar probably similar. I would say I haven't seen any really, really big people. You know, you see some really big people in Australia, where they they can't get around without a motorized scooter or something like that. I haven't seen any of that here. And I would say, generally, the people just take off 2 kilos from from everyone. And that's that's, I would say about the the Brazilian kind of standard, but but they're not like ultra thin. They're not not like Japan. Have you seen any? Have you seen any gyms? Yeah. Yeah. Lots of gyms, but they're not the Australian type. They're all kind of independent. So, CrossFit is pretty big here. I've already seen a couple of CrossFit gyms and the there's a lot of them, but they're they're very small as well. They're not kind of like the big mega gym, like a total fusion or a branded gym like good life. They don't they don't exist here. They're all these, like, small little places here here and there. Yeah.
Juan Granados: Yeah. Okay. Cool. Yeah. Like a little more like hole in the wall style gyms that you see. Yeah, exactly. That's totally.
Kyrin Down: Yeah. Yeah. So that's it, from my observations. Maybe next week we can let you have a bit more of a chat, and we'll talk more about what's going on in your life as well. 1, so.
Juan Granados: Yeah. Well, I think I think next week we might get back to a bit of that, and I think some of the more fun style of questions that we used to have a little while ago, in previous meanderings of the past. Look. I enjoyed looking into things around, you know, what's keeping us excited, what's in our horizon of things that's fun, cool stories that we're listening and and finding it out. I think we're gonna get back to more of that sort of storytelling, purely because it fits our current life in the way that we're presenting the podcast. So there's that. But, you know, what you'll see as well, or we've talked about in the past, things like our book reviews. We've got prerecorded things all the way through April. Right? So it's gonna give as we just heard from Karen, he's not going to be there, you know, available in the room to be hunkering down. The reason he's traveling to explore. So you gotta see that in the next few months. And, honestly, one of the things I was recognizing was, you know, we started the start of the year with 2024. We're like, this is gonna be like, it feels like it's gonna be a better year. You know? And sometimes in my mind, I went, oh, do we have to, like, more, a bit more, more, more, and it doesn't actually mean have to create more or produce more as long as the, the type of quality of the things that we're putting together and the steps and what energy we have that we put towards is is is, like, the right energy. And, also, not something, once again, that either burns us out or doesn't make it, you know, sensible for what we're doing at the moment. So just just be aware of that, folks, as well. And look. Gonna have lots of learnings from this particular recording that we just did. As my partner just reminded me before, the 1st international episode that we've done between Yep. In the mere mortals, like, between us 2. We've done this with other people across other people in the world. They're never between us. So, honestly, the fact that we even finished this, I think it's, like, amazing on the podcast. So kudos to us, folks. And I'd probably reflect back on that in in again. We talked about it in the boost to gram lounge. But if you do wanna support us, sending through a boost to gram to Toshis attached, to a message that you sent through or streams really does help us out in terms of supporting us in getting things together. So that's really the treasure, but you can help us out as well with talent, time, sharing it with people, sharing the podcast, or, you know, if you're hearing what Karen Karen's gonna go, if you have any ideas on, hey. I'm Brazilian, and this will be a really cool place, or any suggestions around that. You know? All of it does help out in talent, you know, in questions, topics that you'd like us to cover, as well. Love to love to hear from that.
Kyrin Down: And yeah. Yeah. Just just kind of bear with us. You know, I've missed the value for value show for this week or try and do a make good over the next day or 2, but I don't know if we'll have time. The, once once very gratefully pushed back the the time we we recorded this by half an hour and very much appreciate that. But, you know, we had so many technical issues and things are going to change. We won't have Riverside in a week or 2 either. So we'll see what happens. So, yeah, just just bear with us. And I do I will be using the the Instagram more as as kinda like just posting some stories and some random things as well. So, yeah. Yeah. Just just be on the lookout for that if you want to connect, connect more.
Juan Granados: Absolutely. I think we'll leave it there. That's why you're jumping off point. Appreciate it folks who've been tuning in live Australian time 7:30, Brazilian time 6:30. So Yeah. It feels like it's starting to start becoming a big me immortals fan because you're in Brazil and you see Kyren. Good. Come on and join in, early in the morning. But otherwise, we'll probably leave it there. Thank you very much for tuning in folks and carrying all the way from Brazil. Thank you very much, Lucas, and a few other people in the live, Brody as well. Thank you. Appreciated. Hope you're well wherever you are in the world. Bye now.
Kyrin Down: Bye now. Bye.