Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha.
Speaker 2: I'm welcome to stefan Never Told You production of iHeartRadio. A big spoiler warning for this book Club episode, everything will be spoiled dage. So today we are talking about Rita Indiana's Tentacle, which was first published in twenty fifteen. The edition I read was published in twenty eighteen, which was translated into English by Achi Obeya. It is an experimental dystopian science fiction, climate disaster, time travel book that deals with themes of gender, queerness, race, class, art, class again, environmentalism, and yes, time travel.
Speaker 1: I will say, when I was trying to find the book on Audible, which is not available there yet, I got some interesting results.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, so the original Spanish name I am not going to try to say because I'll butcher it, but and I apologize in advance for what I'm gonna do my best to pronounce, but a very different name that they went with Tentacle because I believe it was actually translated into German first and then English. And the author was like, I just loved Tentacle. It's got like an icky, like it's got this.
Speaker 1: Like they're not wrong, definitely. I was like okay. And then when I was because I put the S on it at the beginning, I think that was tentacle's right. Yeah, I kind of forget that there's a whole world of because my partner would laugh because I think that I don't even know what I was looking for, and he's like, you're gonna find tentacle porn. I was like, what is this? What is this? So yeah, but it's not like that necessarily, like not to that level. And if that's your thing, no judgment. I was just very surprised by it.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, it reminds me of my mishap when I was on that show that was hosted by two like teenage girls and they ask you for the book recommendation, and I recommended The Lilith Octavia Butler and it has tentacol stuff and it.
Speaker 3: I just start of forgot. I feel don't read that em like, oh no, I'm so starty. Wait until you're older, then read it.
Speaker 1: Tive yourself for it.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay.
Speaker 2: So what I'll say about this is like it's a short book, but it hits you fast.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's like fast and.
Speaker 1: A lot a lot there's a I had to go back and forth a few times because I was like, wait what, because I was it takes you a minute to realize how the plot, how the book is plotting. Yes, like going so you have to go like, oh, oh, okay, because you know when you will go into a new thing, not realizing is it gonna be flashbacks? Is it gonna be this, It's gonna be that, It's gonna be that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yes, because the time travel works in a really interesting way in this where it's sort of like strange daydreams you're having that you don't necessarily have a choice in having, but you can kind of like see.
Speaker 1: Them, yes, and experience them. Yes, I will say creativity that because that was new.
Speaker 2: That was a travel It was very yes, very interesting. I got I had to look up. I'm like, I just to be sure this is the same character.
Speaker 3: Right O.
Speaker 1: Wait did I not read this name before? This is a not unusual name. So let me go back here.
Speaker 3: Wait there are pirates. Okay, hold on.
Speaker 1: Right here, we're talking about buccaneers.
Speaker 3: Yes, but it's all related. It's all related.
Speaker 2: That being said, content warning, offensive language, some of the same like because it is a translated version, it's also from like just different culture.
Speaker 3: So I'm not entirely sure, but offensive.
Speaker 2: Language, sexual assault, death, abuse, homophobia, drug use, climate change, natural disasters.
Speaker 3: Death of dog.
Speaker 1: I was very upset.
Speaker 3: I knew you would be.
Speaker 1: I had to like skip through a little bit, very upset.
Speaker 3: I knew you would be. Billy, poor Billy. Oh that whole scene was not good.
Speaker 1: Quick.
Speaker 2: About the author, Indiana is a Dominican music composer, member of the band Rita Indiana Elos Mystidios, and a producer and author. Tentacle was the first Spanish language book to win the Grand Prize at the Association of Caribbean Writers in twenty seventeen. About the translator, Obehas is a Cuban American author, translator, and journalist. She's also written a couple things that I recognize, so very cool. All right, so I'm going to go through the plot here. Okay, this book is kind of tricky to describe if you haven't discerned that yet. It opens in the Dominican Republic in the year twenty thirty seven, when the world's oceans have pretty much been completely destroyed, in large part due to the actions of President Sayid Bona, who accepted these biological weapons that's billed into the oceans and wrecked the environment.
Speaker 3: So we largely.
Speaker 2: Follow sex worker Acilde Figurora, who dresses as a young boy to attract male clients, and she wants to make enough money to obtain a drug that allows for a sex change without surgery, which, by the way, the pronouns change, so she at this point to that end, she starts working as a maid for Esther Escadero. Esther is a member of a cult that worships an aneinemy whose tentacles grant time traveling powers. So Esther believes that a seal Day is like chosen One and agrees to pass on her abilities to her. A sill Day transitions and then we start using he pronouns and gains time traveling powers as has chosen One to go back and repair everything that's gone wrong. Okay, so from there we get two time threads outside of that one one where a sill Day travels back to the two thousands and becomes a man named Georgio who works as a music manager. Amongst other things. He falls in love with a woman named Linda, who is desperate to save the oceans. Georgio uses art to raise money for her lab so that she can do that, and then we have another timeline where he travels back to the fifteenth century during the time of Spanish colonization and is a pirate named Rook. In both timelines, he meets a man named our Hey niece who also has time traveling abilities, after touching a tentacle while deep sea diving during an exit ambition of art, and while art of our Hey news that he created in the fifteenth century is a praise, Giorgio meets the future president, largely to blame for what happened to the oceans. He debates talking to him about it, which is what the mission was like, warning him about it, but in the end he chooses not to, deciding instead to abandon his future self and live his life with Linda as a man. Yes, that's how it ends, so basically gives up the whole thing. It's like, I'm happy here right now, so no need.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: The abrupt ending, like you it is so abrupt, and then I'm like, wait, what's cool. That's the end. It just goes like thanks for reading.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The next page is like thank you. Oh well, so.
Speaker 1: I thought maybe it was a part of it. I thought it was going to be.
Speaker 4: A setup to do because it was like thanks reader, Okay, no, yeah, no, it.
Speaker 2: Was not so themes one of the big ones obviously climate change. So we have a couple of quotes and hear about it, but I mean, it's like the whole thing is the ocean is turned into like brown sludge. There's no fish anymore, there's no creatures in there anymore, and it's just really created this dystopian environment where things have just gotten way worse. Here's a quote, how lost an obtuse the people of that small town looked now, how sad there's small plans and projections, how comedic the desperation of someone who does not yet know a marvelous destiny awaits around the corner. So because a sealed day, Georgio can see these times. He's always kind of like pontificating about like, oh, well, you don't know what's coming, but I've been in these three separate timelines and that moment of like the middle, the middle part of Georgio being like, oh this is so nice right now, but knowing knowing what is coming. Here's another quote. Where others saw scenery, Linda Goldman saw desolation. Where others heard relaxing, sub aquatic silence, she heard the shrieks of life disappearing. Where others saw a gift from God given for the enjoyment of humankind, she saw an ecosystem fallen victim to a systematic and criminal attack. When she looked at the coral reef, she felt like an oncologist standing before her patient's body. She knew she could save it, although she also understood the disproportionate capacity of evil and its reach down to its finest detail. In order to make the miracle happen, it was necessary to have a measure of extreme optimism and critical realism that would drive anybody crazy. So Linda's the one that's trying to really trying to save the ocean, is really concerned about it, has a lot of mental health issues around it, and is just trying to get like anybody on board with it and to make money to build this lab. Here's another quote. She knew how many times these nets were tossed into the waters, and she'd lived each day working against that sinister clock. Yeah, and there's a lot of stuff in there about like climate change education, not enforcing laws to protect the oceans, or water and her frustration about that. Here's another quote. In a few years, when those of us who saw it are no longer around, people will talk about the fish in the sea as though they were unicorns. It's pretty I mean, it's pretty dire, right, not good at all.
Speaker 1: Well, like the beginning with the anemony, the prophecy had worked out that Esther, who had owned this thing, was taking super good care of it. The main character it was trying to plot to steal it and say it because it was worth so much money. Because that there was no secreatures left. I mean, that's how Esther also dies. So there's because of that, but that level of like despair and trying to keep the ocean's eleven. By the way, the beginning technology of it all was like what's happening. I'd try to figure out what was happening with like they just killed someone, Okay, they poison someone on the on the step again, very very like futuristic, but like the level of what they need and what I see, and then like going back in time to see like this one man protecting this one area with all the sea creatures because he knows something that's coming up. And the ends up being the main character coming back to him itself.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It's a lot. Yeah, but yes, sea creature is very important. I think that's obvious, and I think that's an obvious conversation that we've had repeatedly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes. Another theme is time travel. So here's a quote, according to the letter Black Cubans called a certain marine creature olo kun it could travel back in time. Dude, very Lovecraftian, like this myth why I won't say myth, but they have the story of like this creature that can do that, and I thought it was really Again, like you said to me, it's very creative in in like the way that those powers are granted and how it worked, and I you know, the is pretty depressing, but it is sort of like getting lost in the idyllic past off like, well, I don't want to go back to that future where it sucks and everything when I'm so happy right here right now, because the future is really bad. And going back to that technology you mentioned, it is very big brother It is very big brothery. There's a lot of talk about like technology that tracks.
Speaker 3: You everywhere there is.
Speaker 2: And I'll talk about it more in a second, but like these like bulldozer things that just kill immigrants. Like there's a very a lot of the government technology is scary in this Yes, and that brings us to class, which is another big theme because even in the apocalypse, things are exacerbated, but they're richer essentially fine. That's sort of what it's showcasing. Like right out the gate is like, oh, I can just kill somebody I don't want around from my like little door bill.
Speaker 1: Just immediately, just kidding, you're coloring up my part door.
Speaker 3: I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, woof Again it comes out hitting hard.
Speaker 3: It does not.
Speaker 1: Wait no, immediately several things are like well damn like and then rape immediately You're like what and then they become friends. I'm like, what has happened?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 3: Pretty quick, pretty quick.
Speaker 2: There's also a lot of issues of like racism and colorism within like this discussion of class. Like I said, there are these bulldozers that roam the streets and kill illegals as they're called on the spot. And the author has been a very big critic of anti Haitian legislation in the Dominican Republic, and it was supposed to reflect that based on what interviews I read with her colonization is also a big theme. Here's a quote for the Los Angeles Review of Books. It is an age of unbearable heat and La Yourna with its two years of rain. Laurona the Weeping Woman is the name given to La Malinche, Herman Cortes's Naha interpreter and mistress, often revive for her key role in facilitating the Spanish conquest by calling this extreme weather event Laurona. Environmental crisis is associated with the demise of indigenous peoples after the arrival of the Spanish in the fifteenth century, as well as by implication with more recent neo imperial activity in the region. That was a really interesting article. I had a lot of good points, because again, when your first time you're reading it, I'm like, oh, there's so much going on here. I need somebody to so I it helps you out awesome sexism. Yes, there's a lot of sexism in it. There's a lot of misogyny in it, especially from the character who kind of embodies all of this our heinies like he's bad news. He's just bad news. Yes, he's got a lot of insecurity about his masculinity. He fantasizes about violence against women. He's very homophobic, which we'll get into. And a second, he's constantly thinking about sex when Linda's just trying to run scientific tests on the Ocean's like that.
Speaker 1: She loves her husband.
Speaker 2: Yes, I loves her husband. Here's a quote from him in his head, Georgio was an altruistic man who believed in him, and she was a conceited and selfish slut. Yep. And then yeah, homophobia. A Sealdae's family arranges for a man to rape her as a child to get rid of her quote mauth skill in tendencies, and yes, later when she is raped during sex work, her lack of reaction is really really telling. The author has a bunch of quotes about that as well. There's a whole thing about like rejected men starting rumors that a woman is a lesbian because she rejected them, and our haines, yes, being homophobic but having homosexual desires so internalized homophobia for him, which, by the way, if you're wondering, he's the one who killed a dog, so yes, he.
Speaker 3: Was very bad news. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, themes of just being trans are queer. So in the book, there's this drug called Rainbow Bright that's the injection that you can use that gives you like a sex change without surgery. That's what a Seal Day was trying to save up for and eventually got. But then I've read a lot of stuff from the author to you about like, you know, being in different bodies across time and the powers and privileges that comes with that in different bodies. So that was an interesting thing in terms of like time travel, getting those different seeing those different windows. And yeah, mental health is a big theme in there. And then lastly, I always say art going back to the author is a musician, like an author, very into art. Art is a huge theme, especially in kind of the two thousands timeline where they sort of have like a compound it feels like almost but they got people making art.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like the friends, No they're compound, No you got kicked out, well yes he killed the dog, so all those things, but what's happening? Also they only use them to make art, but same know what?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they sort of all came together to make art to make money so Linda could write finance her lab so that you could save the water.
Speaker 1: And then I like the random DJ she decided she was a DJ, and I was like, okay, go ahead, looks with DJ. Yeah, early, you're doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all kinds of our painting, music and stuff. Here's a quote. When he stood by her side, she felt infused by his presence and discovered specifically and eloquently the extreme poverty suffered by Haitian workers, the tragic ties with which this ancient ceremony held onto the present, the permanency of a kind of slavery that now dressed itself up as paid labor, and the power of a music that lodged deities and human bodies, deities powerful enough to swallow the world. So this was an interesting thing that I was reading about after I finished a book. Was you know, they're sort of using art to save the world, but it's still very self serving, Like it's still very like I want to be a DJ now. And she did put a lot of work into it, like she was thinking about like Sha Cousto, like she was putting all these things in there, but you know, in the end, it's still very She wanted to do it one day it was like you know, right, I want to try this, Gonna try this, and then once you get to the end, it felt very much like, Okay, you're kind of looking the other way, but you're making yourself feel better, Like you're kind of like, see, I'm doing my part, but you're just sort of just sorting to do something to make yourself feel like the world isn't ending. Yeah. Yeah, And it was interesting too, because there was a lot of stuff in there about you know, tourism and making a republic and how beautiful it is was in this world. So it's got all these lovely descriptions. It's very idyllic at this point, but knowing what's coming, it's sort of like you need to not look away, right, not look away?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it tacked in a lot real quick. Yes, I'm going to be thinking about it for a minute, I could tell sure.
Speaker 1: Like the ending was just like wait, wait, what wait what I mean? It's kind just like I will say, unlike other time travel movies or time travel books, it does talk about the consequences of what happens later. So the whole reason, once again the rationale was if I talked to said about the fact that this is going to happen, not only will I not get out of sex works as the original character who transitioned, who was like, finally I found my way to be happy, and that's by ending my life here and being my past self. But if he was not able to u get to that point, which would only he could get to that point through these disasters, you know, like that was the whole point, like he's gonna undo everything and he won't exist or he'll be so unhappy like that's and he won't be able to fix that for himself. So he chose himself, as you had already said, over the environment the whole world. But again it does take into account where everybody was just like impulsively does things. Hmmm, he thought about it. He's like, well, this is what's gonna happen to me, so no, thank you.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, there there was definitely a whole like inner conversation that happened where he was like, well if I do this, complications and what's gonna happen there? And he was very much trying to convince himself, I think, but there were valid points where like we could build this lab, like maybe it could you know again, I think this may save it. I think the main point was convincing yourself or turning away, right, But there were oh yeah that there was a conversation had internally.
Speaker 1: And then watching himself die Like that sounds like all, yeah, that's the thing it does.
Speaker 3: I do love time travels.
Speaker 1: Like there's new ways to do it, and they found a new way they did.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes, Well listeners as always, let us know if you have any suggestions for this. If you have any thoughts about this book, you can email us at Stuffy da Mom, Steph at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mosta podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok at stuff I Never told you. We have a t bollok store and we have a book you can get to wherever you get your books. Thanks as always to our super produced Christina are executed producing my and our contributor Joey.
Speaker 1: Thank you and thanks to you for listening.
Speaker 3: Stephan never told you direction of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts in my heart Radio, you can check out the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 1: Ye