Speaker 1: If you're a bird, I'm a bird. You had me at Hello. I don't care if your grandmother's watching us. Kiss me with tongue, You fool that one. We've seen all these sappy lines work like a charm in cheesy rom coms.
Speaker 2: I think we need to.
Speaker 1: But they would never work on women in real life, right or would they? Well, we decided to put it to the test once and for all by taking over Jose's dating app. Yeah, and we messaged real ladies using only famous lines from classic romantic films. The question is would the girls call him out immediately or was it such a crazy, stupid idea that it actually worked and found Jose his one true love.
Speaker 2: That's the story you're gonna.
Speaker 1: How the experiment went down when we read the cheesy lines and the actual girl's responses coming up right after this, a young man's quest for love or just some random taiale continues. It's Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning, and it's been a while since our own Jose Belanyos has had an official girlfriend yes and a half years, but he told us recently that with the new year upon us, he is open to the possibility of finding love you've worked so hard on yourself. Yeah, you are ready.
Speaker 2: He's just take care of somebody.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's not going to go out and chase it down himself because the weather's been bad and he can't walk that far, amongst other reasons. But last year we kind of ran into the same issue, so we tried an experiment with him. We downloaded the dating app Hinge onto Jose's phone, put up some pictures of him recent ones, even within the last twelve years coots, and he handed his phone over to me and producer Boyd to let us do his dirty work for it. How did that experience go for you in your opinion?
Speaker 2: The first one?
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, first time.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I don't have a girlfriend. I didn't end up talking to anybody because our.
Speaker 1: Main strategy at that point was to make the women laugh using vegetable puns, which actually worked.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: We have full conversations with these women using only vegetable puns, and then Jose took over from there and that's when they stopped responding to him.
Speaker 2: Together. But that's kind of true.
Speaker 1: But yeah, thing is, it's a new year, so we came up with a brand new strategy. Okay, vegetable puns are out started. Instead, Yeah, we're gonna go with famous rom com movie quotes. Oh my, you only used movie quotes on these girls, strictly trying to pick up women using famous lines from romantic movies. Good idea or great idea.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm saying great idea, but oh, are you really mean these are writers who are writing for the sappiest, most romantic people ever, which Jose is true. But don't girls know. I was gonna say, yeah, oh I've seen this movie.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, you think that that is a possible risk, but we googled well known lines from romantic movies and actually sent them out to a handful of real women. Now, some of them Jose matched within the past, but never sent them a message, okay, and some are brand new women that we were hoping would respond.
Speaker 2: And please give you the first message.
Speaker 1: Let's go. Well, here's the thing before we get to that. I know, Jose, that looks madd to you. On a scale of like one to ten, how much do they matter?
Speaker 2: I'd say at least like a seven or an eight hundred.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, it is extremely important that they are good looking.
Speaker 3: You need to be at least semi attracted to somebody, and then their personality will take them to a ten. If you meet a ten, they tend to not have any personality. So the math is like you meet a seven or eight personality, adds three.
Speaker 2: Boom, Now they're a ten in your heart.
Speaker 1: The one time Jose is good at math when it comes.
Speaker 2: To these equations actually worked out.
Speaker 1: Here's what I'm gonna do. So I have the pictures of all the ladies that we reached out to on the app. Let's put the photos out of them in front of you, and of them, pick out the top three women that you're hoping to hear from, because I'll just tell you not all of them responded back, but as are putting up generally, wouldn't you say that these are all very attractive women here?
Speaker 2: Actually some really pretty girls here?
Speaker 1: Pick out your top three.
Speaker 2: Okay Georgia immediately she looks like the girl from White Lotus. She give me my White Lotus.
Speaker 1: That could be your pet name, guy, Georgia, Jay.
Speaker 3: To mixed girls, and one more Anna Anna really pretty and really cool too.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's what I'll tell you. Some of the girls that you chose did respond to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, the.
Speaker 1: Movie rom com quotes worked. Now the girls, here's what we're going to start with. Let's start with Taylor. Can you find her picture and grab it out of the mix. So there's Taylor. I'll tell you about her profile real quick. She's twenty nine. She says she loves watching football and helping out her family.
Speaker 2: Okay, that looks like she looks pure and I.
Speaker 1: Have the same past, same interest. So you know what we did for Taylor. We went with a line from the nineteen ninety eight rom com smash The Wedding Singer starring Adam Sandler, and first line, no, it would be so nice growing old with you. Oh god, no, that is a stage five clinger. He response, Gosh, she didn't say anything, but she did match with you, and we're gonna consider that a small victory. She had to like click like and say, okay, I'm willing to talk except you.
Speaker 2: She's worried that you're gonna stalk her. She doesn't.
Speaker 1: Next up, will you please grab Georgia yet? You said you liked Georgia. Georgia's twenty three. She says she goes crazy for a mcdouble extra pickle, and her goal for the years to try every sausage roll in the city. Oh my god, is that a euphemism? I don't know. But first thing we sent Georgia, we went with the big guns, went right to the notebook from two thousand and four with Ryan Goslin Regie McAdams. We wrote, so it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard, and we're gonna have to work at this every day. But I want to do that because I want you.
Speaker 2: I that's recognizable from the movie. It's all about how you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you see Jose's picture next to it, is it recognized, it's not likes.
Speaker 1: After reading that, Georgia also matched with you, but didn't say anything. You left the door open already, we can tell the strategy is working a little bit.
Speaker 4: That the little count that as success.
Speaker 2: She probably accidentally like swiped the wrong way. Okay, she can on these apps.
Speaker 1: If you Maine, it's like a thumbs up from them. But we're hoping for actual responses, and we did get one. Do you please grab Tiffany from the group. The thing about Tiffany is you matched with her two weeks ago, before we even had your phone, but you never ended up writing anything to her.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm so lazy on these apps.
Speaker 3: I just swipe and then when a girl matches, I'm like, oh, she thinks I'm cute, and then I give up.
Speaker 2: Like she's like a sports betting event. Yes she does.
Speaker 1: It is a sports We stepped in to help you out with that with a quote from fifty First Dates Adam Sandler again quote, I'm just gonna say you're the girl of my dreams and apparently I'm the man of yours.
Speaker 2: Oh that doesn't even make sense in the movie.
Speaker 1: The funny line, Well, she replied, So it worked, Brooke, and she wrote back fifteen days later, And you're just now realizing this or did your other matches not pan out? We left her on red because that was just spot Listen. After that, something amazing happened, one of your top picks. Not only did she write back, she fully engaged with producer Boyd and I in a complete text conversation.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, and this must have been where my phone.
Speaker 1: Was going nuts the entire time. We only talked to her using famous movie nothing else. Would she figure out what we were doing, or just like in any Hollywood rom com, would she swoon and become putty in your hands. Jose, we are gonna read the full text combo, and you're not gonna believe what happens at the very end of it. When we come back with Jose's rom com dating app strategy, Oh my god, we're gonna read it next. We're getting a lot of texts coming into seven, eight, five, nine to two from listeners hopeful that this show can finally jumpstart Jose's limp in lackluster love life. But if you missed it, Producer Boyd and I. Over the last few days, we took over Jose's hinge dating app. The overall results were pretty positive. We reached out to eight women using only famous rom com movie quotes.
Speaker 2: You only got one to actually respond to you, but a couple of matches.
Speaker 1: There is a lot of matches. We're just looking for matches here. Out of the eight ladies that we approached, we received five responses. You did five out of eight. And now it's time because you connected with one girl over a month ago. You only matched with her, didn't say anything, just the match and Jose has the pictures in front of him because he doesn't know which one it is yet. Yeah, he may be hoping for one in particular, So will you please grab j Jay.
Speaker 4: Is one of the top three, and so she not only responded, the conversation went back and forth for a while.
Speaker 1: Okay, you only use movie quotes the entire time, the entire time, And just to help bring this to life, because we're going to read the whole conversation, I would like to have digital producer Jake read Jay's responses as if you were her. All right, and if you want to see the video of this, go over to our YouTube at Brook and Jeffrey. Let's begin. Can I get some rom com music please?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Now, imagine Jose is the one who is like reading these and texting these up to this woman.
Speaker 2: All right, even know it was YouTube, even though it was us.
Speaker 1: But we're going to start off by sending Jay something from nineteen ninety seven my best friend's wedding.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I because they may not know that it's a movie quo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's we wrote. If you love someone, you say it, you say it right there out loud. Otherwise the moment just passes you by.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that is.
Speaker 1: Your romantic.
Speaker 2: Even respond to Jay's.
Speaker 4: Response, Jose, I don't know what to say to you, yeah.
Speaker 1: L O L. We have her on the hook, though, so we went with two thousand and one serendipity, Just say what you feel, say what's in your heart?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, it makes sense. It starting to feel serious.
Speaker 1: Jay's response, I guess I would say, don't give all your love away?
Speaker 4: Heart emoji?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that a music lyric? I don't know if I like it. She's just as intensive making it and she's like into it.
Speaker 1: So that we responded with a twenty eighteen movie quote from Love Simon, do you guys.
Speaker 2: Know your love movies?
Speaker 1: I'm done being scared. I'm done living in a world where I don't get to be who I am.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm hiding now.
Speaker 1: I deserve a great love story.
Speaker 2: You know what, I could see myself saying this.
Speaker 1: I mean, out of all the ones we've done this person, I am tired.
Speaker 2: Of not just openly loving a woman.
Speaker 1: And giving her what was Jay's response, We're on the same page, but does the right person really exist nowadays? Oh wow, I'm worried about Jay. This is really happening. So we went with a line from another twenty eighteen classic, Crazy Rich Asians.
Speaker 2: No, I haven't seen this one.
Speaker 1: And we said, I have it all planned out. I'll bring you to my favorite spot on the island. There's a hidden island. There's a hidden trail I used to go to as a child, and when the sun hits the horizon, I'd get down on one knee and the rest of the world would fall away.
Speaker 2: No, this is where you ruin. You blew it?
Speaker 1: Did I? Because Jay's response, well, look at you.
Speaker 4: The fact that you have that mindset is pretty nice.
Speaker 1: What I'm scary vacation, That's that's right. So we went with as good as it gets with Jack Nicholson in caps. You make me want to be a better man.
Speaker 4: Jay's response, me, question mark question mark, question mark question mark? Why you say that.
Speaker 1: It's time for some Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, you've got mailed closer. I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly. What. Jay's response, Boy, you'd play it. Stop.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm glad.
Speaker 1: Staying with Hanks from the fullest jump. She said, stop, Jeff, I may not be a smart man, but I know what love is. And Jay's response, Okay, so what is love?
Speaker 4: Explain?
Speaker 1: Oh? Wow? That one was tough. She wants to explain.
Speaker 2: Did Adam Sandler ever tell.
Speaker 4: Couldn't go with that.
Speaker 1: We had to put Mulan Rouge two thousand and one together with Meet Joe Black from nineteen ninety eight, and we wrote, love is passion, obsession, someone you can't live without.
Speaker 2: Oh, that sounds not healthy.
Speaker 1: The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return. Right, And Jay responded, sounds right.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 1: She thinks you're some kind of love guru at this point, breaking down what love is?
Speaker 2: I'll accept that answer question exactly. You could never be clinging to her. If this is where.
Speaker 1: Bar is, it's time for the Closer nineteen ninety nine, Nodding Hill with Julia Robertson's here Grant, Oh my gosh, I'm just a boy standing in front of a girl.
Speaker 2: Oh I heard this one.
Speaker 1: Asking her out? Heard the change because the real quote is love, love her or whatever it is. But what was Jay's response?
Speaker 4: You asking me out as in getting a coffee, snack, dessert, dinner.
Speaker 1: What are you asking?
Speaker 2: Just why she's so confused?
Speaker 1: Princess bride? Oh so going as you wish?
Speaker 4: Answer Jane's response, You didn't answer the question.
Speaker 1: Okay, so pull disclosure. At this point, we could run out of rom com movie quotes, so we went with a line that we found in Good Housekeeping Magazine twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: Oh no, why do you have those?
Speaker 1: Jack, Love is in the air and it smells like coffee.
Speaker 2: As a coffee date, Jay's response, coy.
Speaker 4: L o l okay sounds good, smiley face.
Speaker 1: Right, you got you a date with a hot girl using only rom com movie clothes and one quote from Good Housekeeping.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Not one of the women from this entire experiment called us out on using rom com quotes. Never doubt the power of romantic comedy on a woman's psyche ladies and gentlemen and text into seven eight, five nine two. When jose finally meets up with Jay for their coffee date, should he bring a cheat sheet along with him of written on his arm? Or should he just come clean and tell her the truth.
Speaker 3: I'm going to meet her and be like, so you like video games?
Speaker 2: Where was the guy I was talking?
Speaker 4: I'm excited for your own wedding. When miss All.
Speaker 1: Gets revealed and the speeches anyway, it's Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning
Speaker 2: Brook and Jeffrey in the morning,