Speaker 1: Hey, this is Andy and Samantha become stuff.
Speaker 2: I never told your production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 3: And we are back with another happy hour. But we're calling this, I guess an unhappy hour. I don't know, it's a life check hour. Okay, adding new names of things. But before we start, as always, if you are drinking or partaking of anything to enjoy this episode, be responsible and take care of yourself. Always take care of yourself. And if we're talking about product, we're not necessarily being sponsored by that product. Currently things change, who knows, but none of the things that we're talking about today is a current sponsor as of now. So Annie, what are you sipping.
Speaker 1: Own light beer?
Speaker 2: Like he's my last one?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: This is good because I'm trying to clear out my friend a happy occasion.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting goal, like I know, cleaning it out, but you're like trying to like and try it out.
Speaker 4: No, it's fact. My friend I had friends over this weekend. They opened it up in like casploun It's really no, because it's all stuff I'm saving for other things. Oh, like I have my Dungeons and Dragons beer. That's saving for Dungeons and Dragons forever and like a bunch of stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So no, no, we have to get an update after your last next one, obviously if your dungeons and dragons.
Speaker 1: I'm sticking with my bubbly water.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's been a rough few days, so I don't drink that much. Let's just get down to it. Uh, that's just who I am.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: We did go and celebrate together not too long ago, and I had a couple of drinks. Like I had literally two drinks. I woke up hungover.
Speaker 1: It is not fun. I do not like this.
Speaker 3: So I've decided I don't think I'm gonna rink that much at all, if I do at all, because maybe it's sugary drinks. Maybe it's just because I can't take it anymore. Maybe that I've just been really dizzy a lot lately and so it doesn't help.
Speaker 1: Who knows.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm fartigo who knows self diagnosing all the time. But before we start with this episode, it put a content warning. We're going to talk about death and religious religious trauma in general, aging, I guess, because there's a lot when it comes to this. So if y'all don't want to listen to me whine about aging, y'all might want.
Speaker 1: To hop off, because I get it.
Speaker 3: I get it also, but if you want to hear about my quirky family, stick around, y'all stick around. But yeah, So with that, just recently lost my aunt, my dad's sister. She has been in care for a while. She's had dementia apparently for a long time, and it's gotten worse. Her husband who also passed away earlier at the end of last year, so about five months ago so, and he was going through a pretty harsh about of dementia as well, that he was getting kind of volatile because he was so unaware and a little bit of paranoia had stepped in. But he has him and his wife, my aunt and my uncle, their children are like two of them are nurses and works at one of the work at like a care facility for dementia patients specifically, which I didn't realize existed in l J, Georgia, but it does.
Speaker 1: And so they were under good care.
Speaker 3: And I think they were comfortable, as people like to say, towards the end. My dad is significantly younger than her his other siblings because he was the baby. He's a baby of the family. He's still in his sixties. He's still in his late sixties, but like they were eighties, like in they're in their eighties. I have two aunts left on that side of the family, my mom's side of the family. They are they aboth, still exist and they're not that much older. Actually their age is a little bit different, but so my other two aunts are in their eighties as well. And I don't see my family often, especially that side of the family, actually either side of the family. I don't go to a lot of family get togethers. I don't know if that's part of my like trauma and my anxiety and in general and when it comes to my attachment theories and family biological family, which I don't hold dear oftentimes, Like I am very loyal and I love my family and I will fight for them, but I also will criticize them very quickly and understanding that they are wrong in so many ways, just like I am.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, but.
Speaker 3: For me, like seeing any kind of racist or bigotry, which happens a lot because they stand on their religious beliefs as a part of their reasoning for this, I don't do too well in any of that. And this side of the family is very old fashioned. I'm trying to keep this.
Speaker 1: Respectful.
Speaker 3: They're very old fashioned and some of the beliefs that.
Speaker 1: I grew up with. I've talked about this before.
Speaker 3: Uh there's not even really a name for this sect of Baptists. I've heard foot washing Baptist. I've heard there was another one country Baptist, a primal uh P first Baptist. I think this is what it's called. But I think, like when I read it, like that's not the same thing because they don't necessarily believe in tongues. They don't believe in like snake handling. That's not a they're not a Pentecostal, that old school Pentecostal ideal, because New Pentecostal is a different level too. They don't believe like what they don't believe in seminaries. They think that's going against the spirit. In general, they're very old old King James version only. I think my parents kind of have stepped away from that, realizing this is a old fashion. You know, maybe we should look around. Nope, no pants and church, no women speaking, no deacons, all those things. You get called on, And when I say called on, you just get a feeling essentially about like becoming a preacher or speaking or any of that. And you can be young, like they don't care how those you are.
Speaker 1: If you say you.
Speaker 3: Have the calling, which is what they call it, then you can be a preacher. I think I've met seventeen year old preachers who lead churches and become the leader of churches, and you're like, what the all that to say?
Speaker 1: So really odd?
Speaker 3: Like I remember one service, this dude got up and yelled and preached about how women were wearing makeup or sinners and causing people to sin and this is what's wrong with the world.
Speaker 1: And I was like, what's that? What's that? What's happening?
Speaker 3: Even to the point that my family was like no, like they are like but they allowed it, Like it's all these things. So with all that, that's that side of the family. And I'm the reason I'm giving y all this heads up. My partner, who has his mom, is religious like in that she prays and she will read the Bible and she used to go to church.
Speaker 1: She is also very understated. She's very liberal.
Speaker 3: She is all about women's rights, she is all about understanding. Like she and I align of politically very well.
Speaker 1: And she's like.
Speaker 3: Like a Democrat who's trying to see things through like it, has been working for the party since her college years, Like she was one of the first to think women to be a part of that association and looking at women's rights and votings and all that, so very cool. So that's as religious I think. And then I think his follow is Catholic. I believe he told me.
Speaker 1: But not religious.
Speaker 3: So all that to say is I had to prepare him for what my service was, and I went to the extreme of like, Okay, look, imagine again this is where I'm like, I'm pretty sure much like Menia things, especially when you go into the times of enslavement and all that where you had lower class white people who were not enslaved but not well off and like stealing from black culture.
Speaker 1: Like I think this is where this is coming from.
Speaker 3: Because my church, I had to explain it as imagine you're going listening to a black preacher, so a little more cinematic, a little more drama. But they're screaming, yelling at you, sometimes with a sing songy voice, with things that don't make sense and probably have some bigoted statements. And then they take one verse from the Bible and they rent about it for a good thirty minutes, and it may have nothing to do with the actual chapter of the Bible, so I have to explain this. And they will do this at a funeral, and oftentimes they have three or four pastors. So I told them very prepove, like if they be an hour and maybe thirty minut in, maybe three hours, we don't know.
Speaker 1: So he was just like, oh damn.
Speaker 3: And I was like, and I don't know. Sometimes they do some odd things, and this might include literally washing people's feet, telling people to come to the front to pray individually, get laid hands like, which doesn't sound unusual when you're not used to all of these elements.
Speaker 1: I was like, you.
Speaker 3: Just are gonna have to prepare. You might have people shouting, like literally screaming for no reason, but so all these things and it sounds like I'm trying to scare people. But when I told him and he came in, it wasn't as.
Speaker 1: Bad as I thought that.
Speaker 3: I gave him the worst case scenarios of what I was sa scene, but it wasn't that bad. We did have an older man who I'm sure had pretty severe in phasema trying to yell, sing, songy, but not even sing songy. It just becomes yelling preaching about the mystical ideas of heaven. We'll just keep it at that. Like I'm trying to imagine, like how to say this, and I forgot to tell him because different people have different practices that they do leave the casket open. Not only that, like you go before see the family, see the casket open.
Speaker 1: They have it for a couple of days.
Speaker 3: It's not necessarily awake because there's no fun part to this except for people who you know, get to reminiscence see each other and then coming in and then you walk around the casket to see them again. And I have to put it, put on a big show and then hug everyone, even if you don't know everyone, which by the way, I forgot half of the people.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, and he was going to go.
Speaker 3: With me because he's a supportive partner, and I was like, you don't want to do this, And as he was watching everybody, he's like, oh, yeah, I'm gonna stay back here. Because for him, as he's met my immediate family and as in fact he had met one of my aunts, he now met the entire family whom I don't even talk to as much. And this is also a part of the family who have pretty big gooded ideas and made sure to publicly humiliate people who they felt are wrong, and that could be like whether it's queer. I was apparently talked about about, Oh no, she went to Atlanta, which means the devil got a hold of me, essentially that I have turned away from Jesus and I talked about it. They talked about the fact that Savetha's gone to Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Oh no, like that.
Speaker 3: So this is the same side of the family that did all of this and that has all this conversation.
Speaker 1: So trying to prepare my partner for this was surreal. But also.
Speaker 3: With all of these things, And I'm laughing a little bit about it because there were moments where I tried not to laugh during because everything I was telling him could tell it. He was like, oh God, oh God, like when you bring someone to something and you don't mean to but it becomes kind of a show that you were like, but in like laughing because it's it's that moment of like, this is my life. If this was a movie, this was what it's like having those moments. But with that, I also witnessed my father kissing his sister for the last time, who was not present because she was dead, you know, seeing that, like having that as scene, but also seeing the fact that this is out of the five siblings that he has, there's six of.
Speaker 1: Them, there's only two left.
Speaker 3: And the first thing he said to me was like, you know so and so, who one of my aunts fought and seen in years, was like, she she looks frail, doesn't she. She looks like she's gotten older, which I think I think she looked. I was, honestly, I was like, actually, I think she looks great. She looks much better than I thought. And she has been a smoker for the past sevens like sixty five years, Like she's been smoking for sixty five years, and.
Speaker 1: She still looks great.
Speaker 3: Like she's still walking and there's no walker, there's no you know, like she's coherent. She can hear me well, like all these things. At eighty one and to me, she doesn't look at you one. And my other aunt, who is at eighty four eighty two, I think I think he's eighty four, also looks great. It is very coherent and like like I've seen her a few times because she comes to our family stuff and like it's good to see, but knowing that he is watching them age, and then I'm watching my father and my mother age as well, and there's so many unspoken things there that I feel like I have a level of guilt and shame, but at the same time, like also a little bit of resentment lying here. And then also this takes me to you know, and I've talked about this previously, wanting to try to find my biological family, but wondering if any of them are alive. I don't know the ages of my biological family. And then knowing that my biological father, I don't know the history with him. I don't know if he actually knew that I was going to be adopted. I don't know if he actually knew I was ever placed in an orphanage, because he was not a part of that family decision from what I'm aware of, Like all of these things, there are so many things that I can't coab so all of these things are tumbling on top of me with the death of my aunt, who honestly I was close with her for a while, but I distanced myself from them because I very heavily disagreed with a lot of things that they have done when it comes to like personal opinions as such. I mean, twenty to sixteen really ficked up a lot of relationships. And I really think that that's part of this for me and trying to figure all this out, and with that, figure all this out, figure my identity out, figure out my place in my family, which feels uncertain or at least like damaged. I guess, I know, I don't know how to say that. And then with that be because there's we have gone so differently in our opinions and our makeup, Like me going away from social work to this podcast really brought a barrier down, really brought some things down that I think my parents are somewhat ashamed of, you know, like that that's this level. So I don't know, and because I now know that I'm the cousin who went to Atlanta, I lost her way. But also when I do see them, and I do hug them and I do talk to them, and this is meant to be a compliment, but it still kind of gets me just like, you know, I love you as one of my own, which has said to me a lot that I'm like I know I'm supposed to receive that with openness, but you need to understand this, like that context of being like a white savior like that. Everyone that I hear from, as well as people who hear my story, they're like, oh my god, your parents are amazing. They really they really took you in as one of your own. I'm like, I feel like a dog. I feel like a puppy. Which don't get me wrong, my puppy is very left and she is one of mine. All of that, so there are so many things that presses on me in this time. And because of those types of moments and those resentments or maybe feeling like maybe they're ashamed of me or like disappointed in me because I'm not what they had hoped. I'm not the token that they had hoped I would be. There lies this level of anxiety. I have been anxious for four days knowing that I was going to this funeral, knowing that I was going to see the family, and knowing that I had to portray this like obviously, I'm already uncomfortable with death. Everybody's uncomfortable with death to a certain degree. I went through that period that and everybody who goes through this and I know, you know of like experiencing death and then somehow revolving around some significant things that make you think, oh, this is the sign of something bigger.
Speaker 1: And it's not good.
Speaker 3: This is an almondous like stands like all of these things feel like it's piling up on this. So the anxiety coming at this point, like the last five days, my like ritz Crackers not a sponsor, y'all. And I know probably was probably supposed to be like boycotting them somehow. I don't know, because every brand needs to be boycotted, I understand, but have been like my source of food that and fruit, like that's all I've been eating because my anxiety won't let me eat any of that. On top of all of these things, and then going to the funeral, I took a half a diaz a PAM. Thank you doctor Warner who helped me with my teeth because he's the one that prescribed me.
Speaker 1: And I had a few left.
Speaker 3: Over, and I'm like, yeah, need that need that, uh to go And through that, I was like able to make it through without like feeling like I was going to break had have a panic attack. My partner again accompanying me to this was significan It was one of those things like you don't have to come, but if you don't come, this is going to impact our relations, which he knew like he wouldn't even that wasn't even a thought, like he absolutely showed up. But all of those things have left me in such an odd state, like it's just it's a pause, it's a fog where nothing, where everything feels trivial, nothing quite makes sense. But I feel like it shouldn't affect me this much. And it could be that I'm we are not over the world's disaster, so when some small personal thing happens, it feels like that's the final drop that makes everything crack. And that could be where it was. And I will say I didn't even though I was also close to my uncle and who passed away five months ago, it didn't feel like this. I don't know what the shock is. I don't know what this is. It doesn't quite make sense for me. But like all of these things, like opening myself up personally and being like, welcome to the chaos of my family. I'm sorry, and trying to like build that up to realizing we're all aging, like I'm like, I'm watching my face age. I'm washing my hairs turn gray, you know, being forties, and I know that's not old. And I don't feel old except for every now and the end. My body is like pop pop pop pop pop, don't get up, but like aging, like just watching that happen. On top of like feeling like I might be losing chances with the fact that I still don't have a firm grasp of culture, of my culture, of a culture in general, because I feel like I'm borrowing Southern culture because I was placed here, you know, And so those things with the anxiety, with the panic, with the crisis that's happening in the United States and with the crisis that's happening internationally, and feeling like everything is falling apart that bridge following you're like, what the heck is happening. I saw a video like all the I thought that the Cicada's all turning gay. You're welcome at Annie. I wasn't wow, deep dive in that with me sending you that.
Speaker 1: That I started gay.
Speaker 2: I got that first thing in the morning.
Speaker 4: It was like the first thing I read this ordio, I was like, oh, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, how did I jump here? Like I know cicadas are coming, but they're gay, Like what okay, hey nature?
Speaker 3: But all of these things, it feels, it feels, it feels huge to me, And I know this is a neurotic view of like what's actually happening.
Speaker 1: And again like.
Speaker 3: She was my aunt and I loved her and I haven't seen her in a while, and I feel like this shouldn't have been the catalyst that pushed me into this point, but somehow I'm here and like feeling like I can't organize it. Does that makes sense? Even as I'm telling he doesn't, like, I think I just made this like even compete more confusing.
Speaker 2: No, that makes sense. I this is a.
Speaker 4: Very like much lower key situation, but hopefully the metaphor will stand. One time I was at I was at physical therapy and I was just like visibly upset and the guy my therapist was like, you know, trying to get to the bottom.
Speaker 2: What was wrong.
Speaker 4: I was like, I feel like I'm not giving you standard numbers, like you always ask me, like how much pain I'm in? Right, I feel like I'm not giving you standard numbers. And he was like, but it doesn't really matter, like this day, even if that pain yesterday was just a two for you, if now it's a four, is it a four?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: So I think like it makes sense you and I I do this a lot or we're trying to, like, especially in our job, you're always trying to like put into place like on a scale, right, like it should be here, but sometimes it's just not how it works. And like it is also all related, you know, like it's true the world is in total chaos. We have had a lot of friends, a lot of people in our life that are having illnesses. Scares this like that's going to impact you. So it's I don't think like those things. It feels like it should be logical in a way, but it's just not really it doesn't fit into that right.
Speaker 3: I mean this, yeah, maybe absolutely is like my avoidant personality and being like I will not be a weepy girl. And yes, I'm saying this is like this is a very sexist like internalized misogyny that I have that if I can't logically walk through this and iout low for something that a death is hard and painful, but like I'm rationalizing why it shouldn't be as a big deal to me personal like these are all these things that I'm like, this shows that I have strength because like there's also this part of me like I'm like I've grown up with loss, like that is what I know, Like that is this, Like I've always prepared for loss, like inevitably, this pessimist inside of me is like, yeah, everybody's gonna leave whatever that looks like, this is what it looks like. But also and understanding that my reaction, my reactionary response has changed but hasn't and that whole just shut down, which I have partially done, but at the same time like denial because I feel like I don't have time for this. But all of that is saying it's been an interesting.
Speaker 1: And also trying to be.
Speaker 3: I'm not a planner. I'm not I'm not a like a I'm not a type A person. I'm absolutely like the like laid back, low key uh to a tour. No, that's not true. I take up what is needed. That's actually my personality. If I need to lead, I will, but I'd rather not so I'll let other people lead if there's other people who lead, Like that's that's my personality type. But like so having this like wanting to prep my partner, like I went and bought clothes for him to be like, we need to eat all in black. And then I showed up but if everyone was in red, I was like, what because apparently sort a favorite color. And I was like, oh, okay, well bright spring and my mother wasn't beautiful very pretty spring colors. I was like, and we looked like we just came out of an episode of Matrix. So like.
Speaker 1: It was just like, oh, okay, okay. My partner was like, I think I think we're too black, and I was like, nah, we're good because this is what I would wear it every day anyway. But it was a whole thing.
Speaker 3: But I would in panic mode trying to buy things from me and him because that was the level like I have to do this, this and this, and let me plan ahead for this and like even though it was again a necessary but this is the level that I pushed into this reaction. My reaction was like, okay, let's overcompensate this way, also prepping him and be like, oh, the church I went to is odd. I'm gonna tell you. I'm gonna tell you, Like people who I would have as visitors would be scared. One person almost cried that I take as a kid when I don't think people understand the scale. I'm kind of yeah, because it's not just like the movies where they scream at you by going to hell.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It is not that's not what it is.
Speaker 3: I don't understand this brand, but I grew up with it was normal to me. I didn't realize untill later what it was. Maybe it was the way you up. I don't know, kids we're falling asleep all the time, who knows. But yeah, so there's it's been. It's been a lot. The last week has been odd. Also, I like didn't tell me people because I think I've said talked about this before. I don't know how to do that, and I know like it just like it feels. But I would be upset if someone else didn't tell me, someone like if you hadn't like you know what I mean. But at the same something like, but I don't know how to do that because it feels unimportant.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get that. And I've told you I have a I have a real concern with because you were so kind to me. All my friends are so kind to me when my dad died. It's so good, and I was like, I don't know if I could be as good as that, Like there are things that get in your head. Yeah, when you're thinking about those things. So I totally get that. Like I've done that too, where I just won't tell someone and then someone's like wait what.
Speaker 3: And it's kind of one of those things that you like, I just don't know how to bring it up.
Speaker 1: It just doesn't feel right.
Speaker 3: Also, again I freeze, but when I freeze, I literally like, no, I don't want to do anything. Yeah, I don't want to get up the cook I don't want to get up to order things. I don't want to text any one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then when you tell them, you don't know what to say right, kind of like I don't know what I want, I don't know what I need. So it's almost like it's more, well, now I've got to deal with this because I don't this person I was just.
Speaker 1: Trying to help.
Speaker 2: But like it is true, like it's it's gonna be some extra thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when maybe you just don't want to deal with the extra thing exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's like I just it is.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and with that, yeah, I'm vinning a fog. Uh I warned you earlier, and I think I warn't listeners.
Speaker 1: Previously as well.
Speaker 3: Essentially like it just feels like which I think I'm still suffering from a brain fog from like pandemic stuff, and maybe it's I'm gonna I'm gonna put everything pandemic. I've had COVID before and it was a rough one, and I've had I think maybe perimenopause. Who knows, I'm gonna put all this brain fag together. So like time's five, that's right, I said it, But just feeling lost, like I can't even graspfully next steps and jobs, next steps in like not jobs, but like what a right next episode or doing with what I should be doing, what I shouldn't be doing, and just like I'm already a procrastinator so that doesn't help.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, well you know I'm always here and you were great for me, so we can support each other in this.
Speaker 4: But it is really hard. You just can't convince yourself to do anything right. So I get you.
Speaker 3: I mean, I get to look at the right future of watching New Moon and eclipse, So there's that.
Speaker 2: There's that.
Speaker 4: I hope that it does bring you some joy in this time. I will be watching it tomorrow so excited. Yeah, hope you text me with all the great reactions.
Speaker 1: I need you to.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I don't know what to expect. You don't.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you for sharing, Samantha and yes, listeners. If you have any thoughts about greed for preparing a significant other for in your family, because it is a lot of it's a lot of stuff, well, you can write to us. You can emails at seventy mom stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at most podcast or on Instagram and TikTok that stuff. One ever told you. We have a tea boblic story and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks as always to our super producer Christina, our executi producer, and our contributor Joey. Thank you and thanks to you for listening.
Speaker 2: Step I never told you the production of My Heart Radio.
Speaker 4: For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio app of the podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.