Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, home of your daily puzzle Nash. I am your host, A J. Jacobs, and I'm here with Chief puzzle Officer Greg Puliska.
Speaker 2: Hello Greg, Hello AJ. Thanks for dragging me out of the puzzle lab today.
Speaker 1: My pleasure. Greg. Have you ever run across naysayers who tell you that puzzles are a waste of time?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'm around puzzle people all the time, so I don't really, But occasionally, yeah, I'll find some grumpy crank who thinks that puzzles are a waste of time.
Speaker 1: And how do you respond?
Speaker 2: I say, stop being such a grumpy crank.
Speaker 1: Perfect answer. I have another answer, which you're welcome to use. My answer is democracy was saved by a puzzle, at least a little. It had something to do with it. And I'm referring to if you don't know, a historic crossword puzzle published on January thirteenth, nineteen forty two, in the British newspaper the Daily Telegraph. And this was during World War Two. It was no ordinary puzzle. It was instead a top secret recruiting tool because the British military was looking to find people geniuses who could help break the Nazis' secret code, and they used the crossword puzzle as a recruitment tool. It's one of the most fascinating stories I ran across while researching my book. If you solved the crossword in less than twelve minutes, you were supposed to contact someone, and that person turned out to be a representative of the famous Bletchley Park code breaking operation outside London, where Alan Turing helped break the Nazi Enigma code as seen in the Imitation Game. Have you seen that?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's a great movie.
Speaker 1: Love So thank you to this puzzle, and I thought it might be fun to see if you, Greg could have saved the world. Could you have been a codebreaker against the Nazis. I couldn't have, by the way. I tried to solve this and it took me way longer than twelve minutes. But I'm I'm counting on you too.
Speaker 2: I'm here. If you're not going to save democracy, I'm here to do it.
Speaker 1: Thank God. All right, So I'm going to give you three clues from this famous crossword and see if you can do. Now, remember these are this is in London, so it's going to be a little tricky. They love their wordplay.
Speaker 2: Yep, and it's nineteen forty two, so it's even a tricky here before either of us was born, to be sure.
Speaker 1: Go well, thank you. That's nice of you to say, all right, first of the three, you're ready. This was seventeen across in the The clue is is this town ready for a flood?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Is this town ready for a flood? And the solution is six letters. I'll walk you through it a little if you want.
Speaker 2: Is it is it? It's not a town in the UK, it's a town, or maybe it is, but we know it is a town in New Jersey, don't we Oh.
Speaker 1: My god, you're too fast. Give the people a chance to catch up.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just I haven't told anybody anything.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, he's got it, just so you know. It's a town in New Jersey. And the way I solved it eventually was what do you think of when you think of a flood? What did Noah use? And did he use an old one of these boats or a.
Speaker 2: New new one, a new.
Speaker 1: New art Newark. So there you go, that's the answer. The lovely Newark in the home state of my wife, New Jersey. All right, you're ready for number two?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we're halfway or I don't know how many were doing, but we're on our way to saving democracy.
Speaker 1: All right, This is twenty five down. The clue is this symbol of the zodiac has no connection with the fishes. So it's six letters. The symbol of the zodiac has no connection with the fishes. So immediately you can discard your first thought.
Speaker 2: Right, it's not Pisces.
Speaker 1: It's not going to be Pisces, but it is some Have you gotten it yet?
Speaker 2: Or I'm just running through the zodiac symbols. It doesn't seem like it's Gemini.
Speaker 1: Now I didn't say signs, I said.
Speaker 2: Symbols, symbol of the zodiac.
Speaker 1: So there is like, yeah, the fish for piscy.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I get it, because it could have connection with the fishes if you use the word in a slightly different way exactly, which is which is scales libra scales? That's nice, So there you go.
Speaker 1: The answer is scales because it's a symbol of libra on the zodiac. Okay, last one, but this one I think actually is the trickiest. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: All right? The clue is the direct root preferred by roundheads. So that's one word. Capital are round heads And the answer is a two word phrase five letters followed by three letters. Now this is this is actually a classic cryptic clue because it's got two parts. It's got the synonym direct root and then the second part involves roundheads.
Speaker 2: Do I have to remember who the roundheads were historically?
Speaker 1: Well? I sure didn't, but I Wikipedia did, so I.
Speaker 2: Can something to do with Cromwell or something might Anglophile friends are going to be ashamed of me.
Speaker 1: You are absolutely right. They were the supporters of Oliver Cromwell against the king in the English Civil War. And what is notable about them is that the defenders of the monarchy had long flowing hair, as men should, but the roundheads have very closely cropped shortcuts. Shortcuts, that's the answer. Nice shortcuts is also a direct route, but it also refers to the roundhead's hair style of choice. So there you go. I think you would have.
Speaker 2: I love that. I think democracy is safe right now.
Speaker 1: AJ Thank god we have people like you now.
Speaker 2: I just do you know that m I six, which I think is currently known as the GHQ in the UK, does a puzzle challenge every Christmas.
Speaker 1: You know I didn't know this.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, I've I've looked at the puzzle. I always forget that it's happening, and then I come to it too many, you know, many months later. But it's the GHQ Christmas Challenge. They have it online. And what I love is that you go to their website and you can read their mission about you know, fighting terrorism and you know, keeping the cyber force, keeping the UK safe. But on one of the pages it's the GHQ Christmas Challenge. It's kind of a joyful little page in the midst of all the work they're doing. Anyway. Well, look, it's.
Speaker 1: Not just brim though America. This is at least a couple of years ago. I went on the CIA website and they had a kids corner. They had like a little page of fun puzzles for kids. So, you know, the kids who want to become, you know, little mini spies, they are right there, all right. So before we wrap up, as always for you puzzlers at home, we have an extra credit puzzle and this is a clue from another crossword puzzle, and that's newspaper the Telegram. It's from a few days later, but same idea. The clue is did a nose get out of order? This may be the cause. So I'll read it again, did a nose get out of order? This may be the cause. The answer is eight letters. And remember this is the type of clue where out of order might mean there might be an anagram in there somewhere. Puzzlers, please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler podcast. I will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 2: Hey puzzlers, Greg Kliska here with the extra credit answer from our previous episode. We played far Sad with the gain farsad because her last name is made up of two three letter words far and sad. Your extra credit clue was an actor the main dish at many a Christmas dinner plus a word before repute, equipped or mannered, and that of course is the actor Mark hamil Ham plus ill Mark Hamill. May the Force be with you and may you listen to the Puzzler. Thanks for playing along with the team Here at the Puzzler with AJ Jacobs. I'm Greg Pliska, your chief puzzle officer. Our executive producers are Neelie Lohman and Adam Neuhouse of New House Ideas and Lindsay Hoffman of iHeart Podcasts. The show is produced by Jody Abragan and Brittany Brown of Roulette Productions, with production support from Claire Bidegar Curtis. Our associate producer is Andrea Schoenberg. The Puzzler with Aj Jacobs is a co production with New House Ideas and is distributed by I Shop Castre No No No Sorry, I meant to rearrange the Letters distributed by iHeartPodcasts. If you want to know more about puzzling puzzles, please check out the book The Puzzler by AJ Jacobs, a history of puzzles that The New York Times called fun and funny. It features an original puzzle hunt by yours Truly, and is available wherever you get your books and puzzlers. For all your puzzling needs, go visit the Puzzler dot com. See you there,