Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's.
Speaker 2: The best feeling you can have because for the first time in your life, you'll make a new.
Speaker 1: Decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do.
Speaker 2: And that's when all bets are off.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Money Making Conversation Master Class. I'm your host, Lushan McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe decide to your JA it's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own. Keep wedding, Yes, sir, Welcome to Money Making Conversation master Class. The reality is this is a live show, which means that sometimes I might make a mistake and it cannot get corrected. But I will tell you when I make a mistake, it will be an honest mistake, and I don't make many.
Speaker 2: When you listen to Money Making Conversations master Class. The interviews and the information that this show provides are for everyone, and I always tell people it's time to start reading other people's success story. I say that a lot because we always want to be something that we are not. You know, I knew long time ago I couldn't sing, even though I wanted to play basketball. I knew I couldn't dunk. So I had to figure out my goals. So my goal wasn't tied to athleticism, and my goals wasn't tied to music. I had figured out my strength. There's a lot of people running around here trying to be what they cannot be. Means you're reading other people's success stories. Start planning a success story that you can win with. That's why I always they keep winning. I say keep winning because I'm trying to encourage you to not settle because people have told you this is what you're supposed to be doing. Keep winning means keep looking forward, keep moving forward. I have a catchphrase, standing ahead of the ignorance. That means that there are people out there who are trying to stop you from being who you are capable of being because they're going to kick you in the area that makes you comfortable comfortable to them. Let's get this show started. My guess is a game changer. He's founding, the CEO of the National Center of Urban Solutions and created the African American Male Wellderness Walk Run Initiative. He's on the show to talk with that his career, things he's overcame, and things that most people say. Hey, I'm tired life is not giving me an even deal. I'm just gonna sit back and cry, not this guy. Please welco with the Money Making Conversation Masterclass. The incredible John Gregory. How you doing John?
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: John. We came together. You know, we were both black men, and we've also been frustrated by health awareness of our community. Tell us how that impacted you.
Speaker 3: Well, let me say, first of all, I am grateful that you're having this conversation with me. I was ever soonem pressed with your energy and your synergy, and too, I wake up every morning and look in the mirror and say I'm a winner. I lived by that model. About twenty years ago, I was going to work for this program and I was trying to figure out why black young men weren't going to work between the ages of eighteen and thirty and so I was doing a research project and I was like, let me figure out why these prosents. Are they lazy? Is they got some of the memo going on, what is really going on? And I did a project and I required that the brothers. I got about one hundred brothers a job and I required them from the ages of eighteen to thirties. When they got ready to pick up their paycheck, they had to get a biometric screen. And after one hundred and twenty days of the biometric screens, the verses came to me and said, let's take greatly. These young men are sick. They have high reproos, they have high blood pressure, they have high cholesterol, and three of these guys need to go see a doctor right away. And after somebody said, John, what are we going to do? And I was like, I don't know what we're gonna do. I said, what do white people doing. I was like, oh, they walk. I was like, you know, they got dress cancer, they got kidney walks, they got sympath ida, they do all of that. So I looked there was no one dressing this issue. And then a doctor came to a meeting I was having and he said, black men are dying, and nobody kids, and they're dying of preventable reasons. And so I was walking, was starting that first step, trying to get us to a solution.
Speaker 2: But you know when you when you when you're starting a new idea, John, that's when you have the biggest doubters, the biggest people there to say, why or why are you doing this? Don't nobody, nobody, Nobody's gonna show up because it's walking.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: You know black people out there, you know, they's the stereotypes you're battling with. Like you said, you you battling stereotypes when you was talking about trying to employ young men between this age that people were telling you that they don't want to work, but you had an idea. I want to talk about the obstacles you had to overcome to even make the idea of reality, which is in now eighteen cities.
Speaker 3: Well, you know I had to Well, I guess I never really see obstacles because where I come from, I see obstacles as opportunities. And when I did this, you know, I knew that and I'm about of solutions. And so you know, all over the country we're talking about black men, black boys, and the they've been a report without came out in about four years ago and said that black men by the year twenty thirty was going to be at the bottom of the total toe. And so you know, when I look and see that, it motivates me to do something. So even when I started this, I didn't worry about who was going to believe in me. I just call them brothers up. So I caught the captains up until MCCUs is coming, the albums was coming. I called them back. He said the methodism was coming. So you know we competitive right, right, And when our brothers got out there at seven in the morning and they saw about seven hundred brothers out there, they was it motivated.
Speaker 2: And this is in Columbus, Ohio.
Speaker 3: Right, This is in Columbus, Ohio. And they're the ones that came back and said, we got to do this again. Right, They said, this is because it was networking. It was brothers talking and brothers. We were all on the phones. Called the news media precent. Hey, if we were on shooting each other, you'd be covering this. It became a rally call for black votes because it was something that black men were doing, and so they said we got to do this again. The next year we had eighteen hundred black men show up at seven o'clock in the morning. So, you know, twenty years later, they have thirty thousand people show up every year to participate in this event.
Speaker 2: Now the thing about it, now, this is the event that's open to all genders with ladies. You want to walk, please come. In fact, we may need you to help bring some of these black men to these events because when we fill in honorary that ain't for me. Let me just throw some facts about this event that really made me an advocate of the African American Male Wellness Agency, which creates this Black Men Wellness Day, which is happening in Houston, Texas April twenty seventh on the campus of the University of Houston. I am the honorary chair. I would let everybody know I'm proud to say that. But what I also want to say is that in one of the events last year, and it's a new compass Ohio, excuse me, in Houston, Texas, five thousand men were screen as black men were screen, fifty six percent did not know they had high blood pressure.
Speaker 3: Listen to me, it's eighty screen had high blood pressure and of them didn't even know.
Speaker 2: Wow. And then twenty percent of the men scream went to the er immediately correct. This is in Houston, Texas.
Speaker 3: That's in every walk we have across the country. Twenty of the men of the screen have to go to the emergency room and neediately.
Speaker 2: And then you also scream men for prostate cancer.
Speaker 3: We screamed Project cancer, we screamed. I was just in a medium in Detroit and they talked about last year we also do HIV screening, and they talked about the number of men to tested positives for HIV and HIV. White men don't even die at HID anymore. Black men have the alarming rate of dying of HIV.
Speaker 2: And when you when you start talking about you know, we can trivialize this, you know, because when I say that, because we don't talk about it, we just think it's all cool. You know, it's not me. But the facts are there, you know. I just looked at did a little hor on myself John about a study there showed in twenty twenty one that you know, the average age expectations when you combine all racial ethnic groups to seventy six point one years. Now when you start breaking it down in each race, you know, Hispanics is seventy seven point seven years, Whites' is seventy six point four years, Asians is eighty three years. Who's at the botto Blacks seventy point eight years. And that's what this walk is all about. We are dying faster than any racial group. I'm talking about black men in any racial group that's out there. And we can stop that by understanding our health. And that's what this is racist all about.
Speaker 3: Correct, yes, sir. And actually it's depending on where you live. So in Jackson, Mississippi, which is the sickest city of an America, but behind men the number is a twenty year gap. In some places like Atlanta, then the gap might be fifteen twelve years of gap. It depends on where you are in America where that gap is. We know that on average, black men live twelve years of less than white men.
Speaker 2: And that's and that's so when you do an event like this, because you know you're doing eighteen of them or different times of the year. I'm fortunate to be a member of the involved in the group and in Houston at the on the campus of University of Houston, April twenty seven. Like you said, the race starts at seven am. Are there any fees for runners to participate?
Speaker 3: There is no one thing we do with this event, and we thank companies like Johnson and Johnson and jen and Tech and a Jilly ad on Abbot because it's totally free. We live that if we put a B on this, black members gonna say, I ain't got that kind of money to pay for that. I'm not gonna pay to go walk. And so even we do it, it's a free event. Everything's pensive. Screenings are print free, there's docus there to interpret. The results are free. You get all kinds of different kinds of screen you get it. Some places you get e KG you get make it a libitar of liberty. I can even pronounce it screening appro sate. All this is free. It's all free, and it's free. Like you said, everybody's welcome to town. Blacks, whites. Women always tell women if you're looking for a husband, at least you know he's trying to be wealthy, ye know healthy.
Speaker 2: Well, you know the thing about it, you know, I first of all applaud you. I applaud you because of the fact that you know, we kind of laugh about our eating half of something about the black community. It showed his colors in the COVID period because we were the highest death We had the highest death rate, and a lot of it was tied to our cholesterol level, high blood pressure level, and obesity. And we you when you turned that corner, did did COVID change anything from the perspective because you started you event prior to COVID, thed COVID happened. What's the what's the lifestyle approach that the black male community is exhibiting to you now?
Speaker 3: I would say we still when you're talking about just last year five screening five dougs and black men, and eighty five percent have high blood pressure and fifty six percent them Even now, we still have not taken this very seriously and it's so preventable. All you can do is go to the doctor, know your numbers and moves. So you know, even during COVID, when the revelation became, you know some of that. It's just it's unfortunately in our society, we've had a lot of elicit racial bias is around long help. It's like, you know, we're doing a study continue groups spondagers and you know, I went to them and said they have they got ten social determines of health. I'm like, how do you got ten social determines of health. You should have eleven you got. If you don't have technology in your home, if you don't have the ability to do telling health, you don't get to see about you right away, maybe three three months before you can get a doctor. Telling health gets you a doc. That's what COVID reveals that the systems that have been put up really does not help a lot of black folks become more healthy because the systems that we have to navigate, or the this ad biases that physicians have when they see a black person, what they don't offer them like perifeal art disease. It's a screening that you're supposed to get around your legs and if the numbers in your legs are different than the numbers in your arms, then there's an indication that you have a blood flow problem. And it also is a way that you can stop amputation. Do you know that there really is no reason why person should be amputator? How many black people are still getting amputated because we don't happen we go to our doctors, Well, how come you don't tell us about this? Well, they don't tell us about it because they don't think we can afford it our insurance with Covenant, so you can have welcome solicit bias, which was the revelation of COVID of how black people are sicker because we are not getting the same treatment.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm talking to John Gregory and we're going to continue this conversation. I'm also the honorary chair for the Black Men's Wellness Day that's happening in Houston, Texas. That's Saturday, April twenty seventh, seven am. We're gonna start walking and I'm gonna tell you something. If you're in Oklahoma, Arkansas, you know, any of the Connecting States, Texas period. Hear my voice, come join us April twenty seven. The office free, complimentary, as they say on NPR. But one thing we are trying to do is make your man, your dad, your friend, your partner, your cousin, your best friend, live a better life. And that's because we care. We right back when mister John Gregory own Money Making Conversation Masterclass.
Speaker 4: Don't go nowhere, Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations. Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow Money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashaan MacDonald.
Speaker 2: I'm speaking to mister John Gregory. He's the founder and CEO of the National Center of Urban Solutions. That's one part we've been talking about the African American Male Wellness Run Initiative that I am an honorary chairl for April twenty seventh in Houston, Texas. But I want to bring up something about you, sir. You lost your sight and let's discuss that, because I think that when one gets in life, you can get down on yourself. You know, you can say, hey, life is not dealing me a even hand. Tell us about your backstory or how you lost your site, and how did you overcome that. I know it's a daily overcome, but it had to be an emotional hurdle to jump to be the positive person I always meet whenever I see you.
Speaker 3: Well, eight years ago, I had been to New Orleans playing the walk, was coming home, got on an airplane and I noticed that I had some cloudliness in my eyes, and I was like, but then when I was coming home, my eyes are clear. I was like, I'm fine. The next morning, I woke up and I looked and I said, I can't see. I went to the doctor. The doctors was like, this is temporary. I had eye surgery. I had three of the finest eye doctors in the country operate on me. They said, you'll be okay in six weeks. It never got clear. But you know, the funny thing is is that I never really thought about it being blind because I knew that number one, I had a company to write, and number two is that I didn't think I didn't like to be over. So you know, even today I went to get eye surgery, I went to work that afternoon and I haven't missed a day of work since. But in the midst of that, I ended up having two bouts of cancer. I also had a disease that that I got a an infection in my back that went to my foot, and for about six months I was on this medication because I had a severe infection. So those back eight years, you know, I was really going too. But never, even in my cancer and the radiation and what have you, I didn't miss I didn't miss work. I'd go do the radish and that a woman told me some of the hospitals. She said, you could choose the man, or you could choose to go home and die. That's what you can choose. And so from her saying that I've learned to be blind, and I've learned that, you know, life is a little different. I tell people all it's on, I can't see. I do comedy shows, you know, I I does not stop h The only time I probably really thought about it was that people been telling me I should get a stick. I'm blind, not blind, I'm telling me I need to get a stick. So I got a stick and I was like, well, is stick don't tell you which direction to go? So, you know, I thought about it for a minute. I could the stick away and said, you know what, I'm okay. But blind has been isn't interesting experience because I've had to learn to I still dress myself and people asking me you dress really nice, and I'm like, yeah, I'm figuring this out. They a little longer to do stuff. My wife told me one day, she was like, when's take this long. I was like, dug, but no, I mean and I can see where. You know, if you have you ever been in the airport, how many blind people you see in the airport, Here we go places you hard I even asked, I said, what do y'all do with all the blind people? Because I never hardly saw any blind people, and now that I'm out, I still don't see a lot of blind people.
Speaker 2: Now you do think that's due to people just wanted to be h comfortable or not wanted to be uh stared at or feel that a field they are are annoyings When you say that.
Speaker 3: How would they know if somebody was staring at him? They well, you know you, you you know you, you know.
Speaker 2: We walk in the room and you just feel uncomfortable. That room makes you feel uncomfortable. You ever been you've been in those type of rooms? Now you know, John, you go, man, this ain't the room I.
Speaker 3: Feel like. I mean, I just tell you I used to feeluncomfortable when I was young because I grew up in an all white neighborhood. Right now, when I went around black people, I'd be like, hey guys, and they would be like hey guys. But after that, I never really felt uncomfortable. I don't even think about it. Now that I'm blind, I can't see you. I beg on something I can't see anyways. So I don't care what you're doing.
Speaker 2: That's right and that that's the motivation. But I think it's key when I when you look at yourself, and I just wanted to share that story because you're a motivator and I think that's important. Like I'm a cancer survivor too, and I know when I was announced what it was announced to me, I had cancer. Cancer is a powerful word. Once you hear that word, it sends you own a story about I don't care what the doctor says. He said cancer. So you have to make a decision what that means to you in your life. Like you said that person, you could live or you can just go home and cry, because either way it's going to you not cancer is going to be with you. Even when they say you're cured of cancer, you still have cancer. You know, you just walk up the room. So you have to go through your annual checkups and everything hopefully it doesn't come back. But when I look at your life, man, you know, not only do you have the black men's wellness, but you're also a forerunner in the training of blacks for technology. How did that come about?
Speaker 3: Well, we do. I started out doing a Welfare of Work program because I was like, you know, WINLFARE was the worst thing that could ever happen to the black community, free free, free, free. And so I was working in this community it was drug and fester and it came on me that well, we need to do was get people jobs and education, and so, you know, I started training people, getting them up. We've gotten thirty thousand women off of public assistance. And then as a workforce change, I was like, we need to make sure that we are training black people to take these technology jobs. You know, it's it's no longer called the white collar or the blue collar. It's called new column worker. And the new color worker is the worker that doesn't need a college degree. Oh, they can go get a job. And so we're training people. We're the only black owned company in the country that Amazon allows to do their Amazon products, and so you can come to us and get a fiber opts six certification and get a job making twenty six twenty seven dollars an hour without any formal education. So that's how this is just another way for us to make sure that black people have become self sufficient and take care of themselves. You know, they did the study where you get people employment and education, crime drops where they have just community policing, crime stays stagnant. So we want to resolve the finance and all that we got to make sure we're giving people opportunities to be self supphistient.
Speaker 2: So that's the National Center of Urban Solutions that you founded. That that that does the tech training through Amazon.
Speaker 3: Yes, Amazon, Google, Advanced Manufacturing, all of that. You can come to us stn a e KG. You can come up to get every one of those contentials that you would get at a two year of college.
Speaker 2: Now, with that being said, because we get hooked, one of the thing that annoys me so much, John, is that when you when it comes to technology, we're the ones that always get shut down, you know, you know, even down to a phone.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: But when you look at it, because your personality, you're a unique guy. You're just like me in a lot of ways. Because you know, I've never ever thought that I couldn't do anything. I just somehow managed to do it because the right people stepped in my life and also believed I could do it too. So when you look at yourself and give some advice to people, look at the physical setbacks you had and the fact that you know you've been a motivator. What advice would you give people and why should they be coming to this race other than the obvious, you know, to save their own life. Possibly, well that.
Speaker 3: Should be coming to see you, uh, And we're very grateful that you're there. I mean, you're going make a life bent uh and exciting event. And people are very exciting in Houston that you're involved in engaged and so don't think we're just gonna use you in Houston. But people should come because it's an opportunity to email your car and when your car light goes on, you take it to the shop. And so men know more about their automobiles than they do with their bodies. And so this is an opportunity for you to come and get up, free, tune up, and get your body checked. And I said, like with women, women you get checked too. We have seniors there. There's a place where seniors get get some opportunities to get checked. One of the things we don't talk about in our comunity is Allheimer's, but there are ways that just get checked to see if you handing down the Alzheimer's patch. So it's a place to get information and knowledge for the eggs, you can live a little longer. I mean, the body says I've come to give your life, and that more abundantly. We want people to have abundant life.
Speaker 2: Wow. April twenty seventh on the campus of the University of Houston. That's in Third Ward, Texas, right down the street from Texas Southern University. We're going to be there at seven am. In fact, I be in town early. You know, we probably get together, go to some of my favorite eating haunts and do our thing. But more importantly, if you are near and you know a relative that lives in the Houston area, we're talking about the Golden Triangle. We're talking up in Dallas, we talked down to San Antonio, We're talking up at Austin. Tell them to be there April twenty seventh. Last year they had five thousand men show up for this free walk. Now let's say free walk for these free health screenings that are happening. I'm just telling you it's something that It's not a gender issue, is not a racial issue, is a people issue. If we don't start helping each other live a better life, educating ourselves, encouraging people who around us that we say we care about because sometimes you know, we can get a point, we just tie. I don't want, I don't I'm just tired of telling them to live the right life. Right. He gonna eat what he's gonna eat. No, not if you show him there's other people who care about it. If you show up on April twenty seven at seven am, actually before seven am, because the race starts at seven am, you will find a lot of people. You'll find a community that believes in You'll find a community that understands that on this day, we want you to live another day. And I always tell you the difference that you can make in somebody's life, in your life if you live one more day, is a wonderful thing. John. I want to thank you for calling Money Making Conversations master Class, and I know we're gonna talk before April twenty seven, but in the meantime, I appreciate you taking the time to call Mishelle.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and thank you for who you are and the difference you're making in all people's lives.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, my friend, and you are as they say the man, John greg I was wanted to call you like me, You like chaff man. We're gonna you like just chaff for me. You know you're bad. Shut your mouth. Talk about John Gregory, well he can dig it. I can talk you. So I appreciate you. Man.
Speaker 4: Bye bye, Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Master Class. Money Making Conversations Master Class with through Sean McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts