Speaker 1: It's late fifteen to ten touched up Socker.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Guys? Welcome into a brand new episode of Chargers Weekly, two weeks away from the NFL Draft and as always, joined by Matt Mundy Smith Money What is up? Brother?
Speaker 1: Well, my apologies for the late post today. The NFL every year does a broadcast boot camp and it's an opportunity for current and former players to learn the ropes of television play by play, radio play by play, studio host, slash analyst, podcast host, all that sort of stuff. So they always ask, since I'm in town, it's easier for them to have me roll up there to do the radio play by play portion of it. And so that's kind of what I was doing all day and why everybody's waiting around. And so I appreciate you and Greg and all the folks listening and shout out to some former Chargers that were there and always exciting to see them and talk football with Isaac Rachelle and the old Mike and Ike show, remember that one, and uh Chris Harris Junior as well. So great to see a couple of former Chargers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mike and Ike had uh had a channel on the Chargers podcast network for a year doing some doing some fun stuff with players.
Speaker 1: Yes they did.
Speaker 3: Uh you know, I actually, you know, I was at the complex today. I interviewed Tully for for an interview on Sports Central that's gonna air later this month. And it was really neat to hear him talk about Ben Herbert and Harball and getting another year with with Khalil and Joey, and you know, it was just a year ago, man, that this kid was, you know, USC player, waiting for his h his name to be called. And now he's one of the cornerstones of this defense, so be under look after that. And then I did something with Nick Hardwick, uh a few weeks ago that's gonna air two. And just just seeing Nick, I mean, you worked with the money in the booths, brilliant, He's brilliant, and this is like his third act as a member of the Chargers organization obviously player broadcaster, but just the passion shines through as a coach. And I know he's gonna make this so lie, very nasty.
Speaker 1: No doubt. I'm looking forward to both of those very much so. And you know you mentioned it, Chris, and I think, look, I know, I take a lot of incoming for Tom Telesco's stuff. But it's like, hey, be fair, you know, if you're gonna take shots for the fact that Quinton didn't perform as well as you might like in year one, and we're certainly hoping that he's going to bounce back here in here two, then at least tip the cap that he's got Tully in round two, you know, And that's soone if you redraft, that guy's going top twenty five, I can promise you that. So I think a lot of times, the especially social media, can be a sea of negativity. So you know, don't forget there's some positives to come out of the draft last year. And there's a lot of teams out there that would love to have Tully on their defensive line, considering not only how good he rushes the past, but his versatility to play inside and out. And Khalil Mack ain't getting seventeen plus sacks without Tully giving him at least five that he ran into because he was the one collapse in the opposite side. So I'm looking forward to that. I'm really looking forward to Tuley. You know, it's you think about I'll tell you what, Chris I think about two and this is gonna sound kind of weird. I just hope it doesn't come out too weird. But I think about two bodies on the chargers, just physical the way guys are built, the way their bodies are built. And I think about Zion and I think about Tuley and what Ben Herbert that canvas, those two canvas is that Ben Herbert has to work with, and just knowing how young they are, how strong they are, and the fact that they don't they still don't have man's strength yet, you know, like that's still coming. That's still like a year or two away for Zion and like two to three years away for Tully to get that real man strength. And I cannot wait to see how that how that, you know, progression kind of takes another step this year for each of them.
Speaker 3: There's a picture of us at Trany Kip next to Tully, and our legs look like, oh twigs.
Speaker 1: It's really good.
Speaker 3: It's actually it looks photoshopped.
Speaker 1: It shopped.
Speaker 3: I said that we had a couple of questions. I just wanted to kind of carry this over real quick because it's it lines in with what we were just talking about from Jonathan Vang. How many sacks do you think Bosa, Mac and Tully will get this season. Let's just say that they're all healthy for fourteen to fifteen games. It could be scary. I did mention to Tully. We kind of called him the John Stockton of sacks. He kind of like sets other people up to get sacks, so he had to get four and a half last year. But boy, like you said, he he helped Khalil get his seventeen.
Speaker 1: The three of them, if they're all healthy for seventeen games, I'll go one hundred. I'll go one hundred sets.
Speaker 3: They all bright the SEC record.
Speaker 1: Yes, they will, all each of them individual one of them will break it, then the next one will break it. They'll each end up with thirty three and a third. It's going to be incredible. There's a reason why they're paying those guys, even though Joey has had issues with injury, and even though Khalil is, you know, according to a lot of folks past his prime, certainly didn't look like it last year in terms of production. But there's a reason why they're still giving those guys tens of millions of dollars because they know if in fact, they can keep them healthy. That teams just they can't deal with it. That's just that's the reality. When all three of them are on the field, they cannot deal with them. To have a rotation where they can stay fresh. They just can't deal with it. So, you know, I think, you know, I'll draw this parallel, Chris, for for all the folks that are Dodger fans out there, you know, just kind of look at what they're doing with their rotation and think about that in terms of the defensive line, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if you know that's an early pick defensive line interior or an edge just you know, you've got to keep these guys fresh. You've got to try to make sure they are there when the tournament shows up. And that's you know, what you're seeing the Dodgers do with bullpen games, and when Walker Buhler comes back, it could end up being a six man rotation just because they want Glass now, they want Yamamoto, they want Bobby Miller and Clayton Kersher to all be fresh when it's time to be fresh. And I think that's something you have to keep in mind when it comes to edge. Is the idea that you can roll these guys. You know who does the best job of it is Philadelphia. That's why they like, look at the way Philadelphia drafts and they just roll those guys through there, man. And it's just a never ending, relentless pursuit of the quarterback. And it's why they're in the mix every year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, from from Fletcher Cox to Carter to the big.
Speaker 1: Brand from Reddick and it just Smith. Yeah, it's NonStop. It's non They draft O line and D line and I think that's what you're going to start seeing this front office do a lot of is olne D line. Man, is where it's at. If you can be good at those two positions, you can really fill in around it and be very successful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Tulle said. Also, don't sleep on Morgan Fox this year too as a fourth edge rusher. You know somebody who he feels like a hardball guy to me. Hey, So, Andy Bischoff, the run game coordinator and Titans coach, spoke at length about ten minutes or so this week, and I always feel like there's an extension of Jim Harball within all these coaches. Right when you hear Ben Herbert talk, you know that Jim Harball is behind all of that, and same thing with coach Bischoff. And you put a couple of clips up on Twitter. Let's play a couple right now. This is just talking about the offensive line and what they mean inside the practice facility starting this year.
Speaker 4: Some people don't value offensive linemen. We do, okay, and that will be shown in how we approach everything from how we stretch, to how we lift, to how we run the ball to how we protect.
Speaker 3: This is a place.
Speaker 4: Where o linemen are going to want to come and play because it's an Olne sent space where we're gonna raise these guys up and make them feel great about what they do and what they have to offer, and not push them to the side and make them the afterthought. They are at the forefront of our thinking.
Speaker 3: Somebody like we've been saying, you know, this is an offensive line centric football team, but coach Bischoff took that to another level. Like it starts and ends with those guys.
Speaker 1: Right, And you know, I don't know if I don't know if it's for you know, if it's for dramatic purposes, because I do think every team values offensive line. Is like, look, some teams don't we do. Every team values offensive line. The difference is they don't commit the resources to it. I think that's that's the way you have to think about it, is are you going to put the not well, yeah, you're gonna put the money. Are you gonna put the draft stock? Are you going is that? Are you going to invest? Because that's the only way you can prove that you're different than everybody else is you will commit pick in, pick out, contract in, contract out to ensure that the offensive line is top top shelf. And you know, you think about the teams that do that. Philadelphia they in the playoffs every year. Dallas, you talk about their playoff failures, but are they in the playoffs every year? Like teams that San Francisco, Kansas City, Like teams that invest in the offensive line, Baltimore, they tend to show up in the postseason. It's not It's not a secret. And I'm not going to continue to I'm not. I know that we're gonna we're gonna get to the draft and we're going to talk about the wide receivers and and I know people are tired. At least they're letting me know that they're tired of me talking about it, and they I.
Speaker 3: Don't think, buddy, you know what, it's fifty to fifty, and I think that that means it's a great argument. I really do think there's a lot of people that say, hey, I agree with what Money's trying to say because they need more pieces. And there's obviously people that think that there's a void as a number one weapon. But when you have it split like that, that means it's a really good argument.
Speaker 1: I just keep what you know. The reason why I keep bringing it up week after week after week is because this this is the staff, this is the style of football they're going to play. I don't know why people are so resistant to accept that. Why why a number of people are resistant to accepting that this is the way that that Jim Harbaugh has played every single stop he has made, whether it was San Diego, Stanford, San Francisco, or Michigan, it was all the same. It is all physical, beat the snot out of you. If we gotta win close games, we're gonna win close games, and every now and then we got to cut it loose. And when if we need to cut it loose, we're gonna have the ability to cut it loose, but we'd prefer to play this way and to win this way. And we just saw two more coaches, Marcus Brady and Andy Bischoff. You just heard the clip basically again, remind us of that. So all I'm doing is saying, read the tea leaves. You all wanted Harbaugh to be the hire, and when you hired him, this is the staff that you hired. This is the football philosophy you hired. And this is a this is a general manager that he you know, he was hired before Joe and you know, so this is someone that he's really comfortable working with and is going to have a very similar philosophy. And I just you know, we ended up having two more coaches now say the exact same thing, and that is offensive line is priority number one and offensive We had two offensive coaches say it. Even the passing game coordinator was basically saying it. So that's all. This is not me trying to be right. This is not me saying this is how I believe they should draft or what player I think they should draft. It's just me saying, hey, just I'm just reading the tea leaves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before we get to the draft. A couple more clips from coach Bischoff. I got fired up about the titands. I'm sure Chargers fans got fired up about Disley and at Hayden Hurst when when coach Bischoff talked about HM, let's start with Will Disley first.
Speaker 4: I mean, when you start with Will, you're talking about one of the three guys in the league that can own the sea gap, period, and there's not many of them. Okay, this is a different kind of football league we live in now, and to have a tight end that can own the sea gap is rare. And he's one of those guys.
Speaker 3: So money owning the sea gap, I've never heard it put so eloquently.
Speaker 1: And with enthusiasm, like hey, yeah, there's three guys now, three guys in this league that can own the sea gap, and he's one of them. Like just hey, we really scored here, guys. Do you understand we scored.
Speaker 3: Six guys, not seven guys. Three guys?
Speaker 1: Right, our guy can own the sea gap. Do you realize how great this is? Can you believe this is happening? Can you believe we have this? Like you know it's and and again just just watch watch how they play you know, watch Watch six O live. I can't tell you how many games I called it's Stanford six O lineman, two tight ends, quarterback, full back, running back. Here we go. You know what we're doing. It's credit card alignment. You see where the strength is. It's power right, and you can't do anything about it. And then we just got another twelve yards. So yeah, that's that's value. You know, he's one of the first guys they sign in free agency. That's what they needed. They needed the tight end that can block. And I think for look, I think this is a little bit different because I would have liked to have seen the Chargers have a competent blocking tight end the last three year they haven't. They have not had a competent blocking tight end since Hunter Henry. They tried with Trey McKitty. That's what they tried to make him into out of Georgia. He wasn't it. And so I am excited that that here's the staff that knows what they're looking for in that particular position and they feel like they got it. He talked about Ben Mason too. I know we're not gonna play that clip, but he talked about him as a full f you know, as an f that can you know, they can be that lead blocker that can find himself in the slot, that can catch balls out of the backfield, that can maybe play a little bit of tight end as well. But for the most part, he's just a straight full back that's you know, gonna gonna get after it. So yeah, that's it's what they've signed. It's all the again keep saying that all the signals are there. You can see what kind of team they're building. You can see what they value and where they're placing priority. And I think, you know, I'll tell you, Chris, I think there. I think there's something I think there is something to the idea that that Jim Harbaugh just he's so competitive and he loves football so much. The idea that he can go into Kansas City and bully that team. I think he's just so enamored with that idea, like, Oh, we're not gonna just beat this team. We're gonna go in there, we're gonna punch him in the neck, and we're gonna put our foot on their neck and we're not gonna lift it. And they they have no idea what's coming to town. And I just think he's I just feel like the parallel is so I'm gonna say it again and second weekn arrivee Saturday. I apologize, but I just feel like that parallel was so similar to what he wanted to do to Pete Carroll when he got the Stanford took him a little Now, remember it took him a minute, took him a couple of years, but he had and it's different in college. You can't go back then. You couldn't, you know. It took him a couple of years to build it. But that's what his vision was like, Okay, you guys gonna throw it around and get your five star quarterbacks and your fancy on the edges running backs and your wide receivers. Watch what I'm gonna do. And I think there's something very similar to what he wants to do, you know, and what he sees in the NFL right now and how people are playing offense.
Speaker 3: Bischoff mentioned that Disley could catch the ball too, he's got hands. Yeah, But this is what really impressed me. Here's what he said about hayden Hurst.
Speaker 4: You have a guy, hayden I mean to me, you have six guys in the league that everybody wants and you name the six you go with Kittle, you say wall Are, you name whoever you want? Everybody wants those six guys, Okay, And there's no reason that Hayden can't be that next guy, you know, there's no reason. He's got all the speed, all the hands, all the ability. Heyy just needs to find the right situation. And we knew when we had him in twenty nineteen that was the right situation for us. We couldn't control where it went from there. But we love the guy and we're nothing but happy to have this guy here. And he will provide that athletic element to this offense that gives us an opportunity.
Speaker 3: So he mentioned the top six guys that says hayden Hurst could be in that company, And I tell you he has the quarterback to get him the football. And we've seen Justin Herbert elevate so many different players. No reason to believe Hayden Hurst couldn't be a really good quality tight end with Justin Herbert thrown the football too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll tell you, Chris, you know, I think people maybe forget like number one. He was the first round pick, right, So he's someone who evaluators believed could really play tight end in this league. There aren't a lot of tight ends that get drafted in the first round, and the last year was a bit of an anomaly. But I think it's actually no last year, we just had one, right, it was just Dalton and then everybody went in the second round, the Tucker Crafts and the daltonkin K and Musk Graves and all that. But but yeah, remember he was drafted before Mark Andrews, and it just so happened that Mark Andrews and Lamar Jackson had this incredible connection right away and it was clear that, oh, no, Mark Andrews is our guy. And I think that sort of, you know, relegated Hayden Hurst to the second you know, like just sort of the second option as far as past catching, when he was a little bit more of the physical tight end, you know, whereas Andrews was more just that straight kelsey like you know brand and you know, we went down to Atlanta when they traded him and immediately put up his best year down there. He ended up with I don't know, fifty plus catches, almost six hundred yards, six touchdowns. So he certainly has shown that he can he can be that receiving tight end. He's got the athletic, like coach Beichall said, he's got the athleticism and the ability to be that. It was just sort of you know, what he was asked to do in Baltimore and how Andrews just you know, they didn't realize what they had or they would have after him first and they're like, Okay, well this this is what this guy's gonna do, so you now have to kind of fill this lane. And clearly he was fine with it or almost Why would he resign with Greg Roman when he was the guy that put him in that box.
Speaker 3: Stone Smarts still in the room, Donald Parm's still in the room. I liked it. Bischoff said that clean slate for all those guys doesn't matter what you did last year, the year before, different system, different coaches, clean slate. So maybe those guys could take a step in this new regime and maybe this system will suit them better. Who knows.
Speaker 1: Also, and I want to say this real quick, Chris, is you know for the people that were thinking trade down brock powers, you know, I was just gonna say that, I'm like, oh, sorry, you know, I didn't mean to jump in and take it from you. But I think I think the signal is, you know, they liked their room. They they believe they have, you know, high level. They got a high level blocking first, receiving second tight end and a high level receiving first, blocking second. And I don't mean as though they're deficient in the other category, but just that that's that's what they've got. So I don't know why you would invest a first round pick and a tight end when you feel like you've got two really good tight ends. The way the coach is talking about Hayden Hurst and Will Disley, they probably for all the needs of this team has that wouldn't necessarily fit what you would take in a first round pick unless he was graded so considerably higher than all those other positions that you would have available to you at Let's just say if you trade back pick eight, nine eleven, wherever that may be.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, like ten minutes after that conversation, I said, Okay, it doesn't sound like Broc Bauers is potentially in the plans there if they think so highly of Disley and Hurst, and then you know, maybe maybe parhum are still and Smart could get a little bit of a resurgence, so tight end.
Speaker 1: You never know.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 3: We had a lot of great fan questions last week.
Speaker 1: Money.
Speaker 3: The draft is on everybody's mind, and like I said, a lot of discussion online after the pod good discussion. I thought, because again, and I think it's almost like fifty five forty five, whatever decision you want to take it in terms of do you take a wide receiver at five or do you trade out and get extra picks? So I thought it would be fun. First of let me ask you this question. How far do you think you would go back if you were the Chargers? What's like, what's your max?
Speaker 1: Well, for me, it's so much about the compensation, and I think it's I think that's what people that what folks that are listening that I just I wish I had the answer. I don't. I don't know what their board looks like. How many first round grades do they have? Typically a team will have anywhere from fourteen to maybe max twenty two twenty three first round grades in any given draft, depending on how talented they feel like it is at the top. So normally you don't want to trade beyond a first round grade, don't want to get out of that and maybe you have in those first round grades, maybe you have a tier of seven players that are blue chip players you feel like a can't miss players, and now you don't want to get out of that window because you want to And remember when I say seven, they don't need a quarterback. So if four quarterbacks are going, seven would be pick eleven that you don't want to be back. You don't want to go beyond pick eleven because those are your seven blue stars or gold stars whatever their their color may be, blue chip, gold star, you name it. They have them all. Every team is different in their language that they use. So to me, that's that's sort of what you've got to figure out. And then you know, on top of that, it depends what kind of compensation are we talking about? Is it this year, is it next year, is it future years? And how do you want to build? Like think about think about the Cardinals and how they were able to maneuver it last year where at the time you're like, wow, you're trading out a three and you're getting a first next year. Well, now look at them, you know, now look at what the Cardinals have and what they might be staring at to rebuild this roster that was pretty frisky last year. Even though they lost a bunch of games, they were in a lot of them. So I think that's what it comes down to. Do you want capital this year because you really like this draft, or could it be the Bears that give you number nine and the only thing you get in addition to that is next year's one, and you would rather have that than a one and a two and a three or something along those lines. So I think so much of that comes into play of what's what's a team willing to give up, because it certainly sounds like they're gonna want a lot based on what the Harbaugh comments were at the owners meetings right that they view it as they could have the number one pick.
Speaker 3: I can't see them going past eleven because you have Denver in Vegas twelve and thirteen, and I think a trade with a division rival seems unlikely, especially because they're going to try to get a quarterback and it's probably gonna be JJ McCarthy and I'm not sure Jim's gonna watch j McCarthy in the AFC West. That's my only reasoning for that. But I figured let's just go through I thought, DJ and Bucky. You had Bucky on on the Belief Pod this week, right.
Speaker 1: He was great and he he look, the great thing about Bucky if you want to it's running on valleys. They run the heck out of it if you want to watch it, and then it's in pod form too. But the great thing about Bucky, and one of the great reasons why we wanted to put him on is you know, he's a coach. He's head coach. Granada Hills took him to the state championship game last year without passing the ball, running the ball, and he said, I, I'm doing this because of Jim Harbaugh. I watched the way he played at Stanford and that was my motivation. I said, I can't get the kids that these other schools in my conference are getting and in my league are getting, So how can I compete? And I realized, Oh, you know what, I'm gonna do it Jim Harbaugh did at Stanford, and I'm gonna bully him, and I'm gonna build up my old line and I'm gonna make sure my kids are the toughest and we're going to play the most physical brand of football and these other teams are going to have to figure out a way to scheme for us differently than every other game on their schedule, and it presented a problem for them and went undefeated until the state championship game. So let that be a lesson for the people that are asking you, how can you can't not have a number one receiver. Bucky did not throw the ball in southern California in high school football. He didn't throw it once in the postseason. They just ran the ball and they went to the state championship games. So let that be a guide of how effective playing football when other people don't, you know, play the style of football, how it could be. So it's really great, you know, and just to put a button on that, you know. His his point was, I just I can't envision at Jim Harbaugh team's first draft pick being a wide receiver. It just doesn't line up with they how they think and how they operate these It's very hard for me to visualize. Yeah, that makes sense, We'll take a wide receiver. So everything is predicated on the old line. Everything that they do is built off of offensive line play.
Speaker 3: So they DJ and Bucky did a quarterback scenarios pod that I listened to is really good and kind of laid out what they think some of the teams that are selecting quarterbacks may do and kind of how they're thinking. And I thought, if you kind of put it from a Chargers perspective, the top eleven, there's there's gonna be movement all around the Chargers, which may dictate what they do at five. If somebody trades up with New England, if the Cardinals make a trade with Minnesota or somebody where Jayden Daniels goes, because maybe if Jaden Daniels goes to Washington, Vegas isn't going to try to trade up. But if Trake May goes to Washington, maybe Vegas tries to get to three because Antonio pears, you know, Jayden Daniels and wants him in silver and black. Another thing I thought about this week. I looked at Justin Herbert's completions this past season, and I think, at two hundred ninety seven completions, one hundred and ninety seven of them are out the door, like no Keenan, no Mike, no Gerald, no Austin. So if the Chargers did not stick and pick at five and take a neighbors or Harrison, who you would naturally just assume would be the number one option in an offense.
Speaker 1: Can't let you leave him out? Or dunsay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm almost thinking too that let's say Chicago wants to get Marvin Harrison at five and you flop with him, maybe a Doonsa's there at nine.
Speaker 1: You know, it'd be like host comfittely.
Speaker 3: So would you be comfortable going into this season with Joshua Palmer Quintin Johnson as the number one weapon or a Will Disley or a Hayden Hurst, because that's what it would essentially be, Or it would be a guy in the back half of the first round that you take a flyer on or the second round. And you know, for every aj Brown and Cook and Naku and Cooper Cup, there's a the Keil Harry and Jalen Rager and Kwan Treadwell, you know. So it's it's almost like you take the guesswork out of it if you pick a guy at five. So that's that's where I go back and forth about what they may do, because two quality wide receivers did leave, and I know that it's not necessarily the way Jim wants to play, but you do have to have talent on the outside to win the NFL, like the Chiefs have Travis Kelce and you know Rashi Rice came came alive. I think for them second round pick, you just got to make sure you hit on that second round pick.
Speaker 1: I guess right, Nico Collins third rounder, tankd Dell's second round or they just traded a fourth for Stefan Diggs. Don't forget about the secondary free agent market that's coming after the draft, when teams assess or figure out who's available to them on their best if they're a best player available team. Now all of a sudden, they've got wide receivers they're bringing in. They're going to cut guys that cost a lot more because now they can be more cost effective, and those players are going to be available. Who knows what happens with Tyler Boyd T Higgins And again this all plays into the compensatory selection process. Remember, after the draft, it's different. Now you don't have to worry about giving up selections in the compensatory formula. That's the first wave of free agency where all that stuff comes into play. So they're still free agents and teams that will be dusting guys after the draft post June one cuts that could end up on this team at the wide receiver position. So in terms of wide receivers, the one thing that has changed so and this is this is a product of my years of doing fantasy football for the NFL Network. The old adage when we would do our draft shows going into the season. Like one of Michael Fabiano's like pillars of his football fantasy football philosophy was no first round wide receivers. It takes them a year to two to get going. They just they aren't ready in their rookie year. It's so rare to get that outline, to get that big rookie. See, that has changed so dramatically because football has changed so dramatically with the emergence of Friday night lights and seven on seven and kids just playing receiver, the best athletes playing receiver. It's all changed so much that there's don't think of it as like I look at it and I say, don't just think of it as we got to get one of these three guys. You don't know how close the grades are on these other You may think that they're okay if they're in this tier. And for those of you watching on YouTube. I've got my hand up here. Let's say this is where those three are, well maybe the next tier of Lad McConkie and Ricky piersoll and Brian Thomas and that maybe it's right here, maybe it's pretty close. And they're like, well, we have an elite quarterback, an incredibly elite quarterback. So it's different putting Ricky piersoll or Lad McConkie on the Chargers than it is in Carolina because Justin Herbert's throwing him the ball. So now all of a sudden, his evaluation is raised, and he's got a chance to be a number one and these and you look at what CJ. Stroud did for Nico Collins that Davis Mills couldn't. We weren't talking about Nico Collins is a number one receiver in this league. Now, guy's a freak show because he's got a freak show of a quarterback throwing him the football. Like Nico Collins is in the elite receiver category now because of how big, how strong, how good he is with contested catches, how fast his yak And that was a third round guy. So it's important to remember that the quarterback comes into play when evaluating my receivers and who's throwing them the football as opposed to just we're dropping Marvin Harrison or Roma Dounze or Elik Neighbors in here. I can't wait to see what it looks like. But Justin Herbert throwing the ball. So I think that's something that they're probably factoring in as as well.
Speaker 3: Let's go through the first eleven, right, Chicago win number one, Caleb Williams. There's no discussion at this point, right Washington. I don't think they'll trade out. I think that they need to get their quarterback in the future.
Speaker 1: Just look at their roster like they're drafting a quarterback.
Speaker 3: Quarterback.
Speaker 1: New England's different because they have Kobe Brissette, who's a very capable starter in this league and could easily give you one or two, maybe two, maybe three years as a viable if you build up the defense and have a sound offensive line running game, Yeah, like I can win you games. So that is not Washington. They traded Sam Howe. They need a quarter Marcus Mario and it ain't starting games for them. They're drafting a quarterback.
Speaker 3: It's another thing that they dj brought up. There's a difference between a bridge quarterback and a backup quarterback. Mariota at this point's a backup quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great point.
Speaker 3: The exact guy, that guy that they're drafting it too, is going to start it, probably will be Jaden Daniels. I feel like he makes a lot of sense for what they want to do. Cliff Kingsbury if it's not. This is where it gets interesting, and this is how it affects the Chargers. I think, what does New England do? Do they stick and pick or do they accrue a ton of capital and try to rebuild their roster, especially offensively. They got some pieces on defense, but offense was just a nightmare. The quarterback play was a nightmare. So if you're really high on a guy like Daniels or May, you could just stick and pick. But let's say the Commanders take Drake May instead of Jayden Daniels. That's where you know Minnesota Vegas. I don't know if Denver would move up, but like New England has a market now for that number three pick, and depending on who the quarterback is, man like that could really shake up the draft before we even get to Arizona.
Speaker 1: At for money, and it all just comes down to what their evaluation is of the quarterbacks. So it feels like a lot of people don't like Drake May in the in the media, that he's sliding a little bit. I have no idea what Elliott Woolf and Drod Mayo and Robert Kraft and how they view this particular collection of quarterbacks. And then you have to factor in what is next year's quarterback class look like, what kind of season do we think we're gonna put together. We've got to get a quarterback of the future at some point. It wasn't Mac Jones. You tried to draft one of the first round and he's now in Jacksonville. It's not Bailey Zappy. So Jacoby Brissett's great. He can start games for you, like I said, for this year, next year, but at some point, you're gonna have to address that position. So for them, it's just a matter of what's the evaluation they do. They view Drake May as a potential franchise quarterback, Jayden Daniels as a potential franchise quarterback, JJ McCarthy as a potential franchise quarterback, or for that matter, Michael Pennitt's or bow Nicks, and can they trade back, get a haul and feel better about their pick because they like both. They've got bo Nicks or Michael Pennix or JJ McCarthy rated higher than Drake may or Jayden Daniels, and they're totally fine moving back to a spot where they can get them. The one thing I'll say about about quarterbacks, and this is something I've been covering the draft NFL Network forever. I would always hear over and over and over again, when you are in the market for a quarterback, you do not get cute. You don't say, well, you know what, we like McCarthy. More so, if we trade back with the Giants to number six, we can get it the guy. You get your guy. It doesn't matter if you get them at three. Look you don't like maybe you don't like Daniel Jones, and I can understand why you wouldn't folks listening and watching, But the Giants weren't messing around, like we're taking our guy. They could have got why they take them at six, They could have got them at third because he was their guy and they did not want to risk it, so.
Speaker 3: They doubled down and paid him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that's the thing. Like that, when if they have a guy, whoever it may be, I don't think they're gonna get cute. If it's JJ McCarthy, they're taking them at three. If it's Bonix or Michael Pennix, they're not going to trade back far. They are not going to play around. So that's that's the one thing. And they look like a team that is interested in drafting a quarterback. I just don't know if they like any of the guys outside of Caleb Williams.
Speaker 3: So if Williams, Daniels, and May in some order go top three. Four is Arizona, and this is where maybe the Vikings or somebody tries to move up and gets JJ McCarthy, maybe before the Chargers. But if they don't, and you laid out that scenario with the Cardinals last week, the only caveat I'd give to that is if they want to get cute and trade out of four and they want to get back in and get Marvin Harrison, guess what, I'm gonna put a Marvin Harrison text on you, and you're gonna give me an extra third, right, Like, if you want them that bad, we love them too, right, So like if you want to come back, you got to give us an extra third. Because you got him, you got the ammunition. So that's where I think, Okay, JJ McCarthy territory, and that's also Marven Harrison Junior territory. I don't think that it's just quarterbacks in terms of teams that would trade up to get somebody. I think Barvin Harrison Junior is that type of player that other teams would be interested in maybe trading up for.
Speaker 1: I would imagine that, and I think I saw because I got tagged on a bunch of the tweets. But there was someone in Arizona that shared this scenario that we were talking about, and he shared it in a manner that like, hey, this is being discussed. I didn't know there. I just say, this seems to line up. It makes sense, right. Why would you not trade out a four if Minnesota wants to give up eleven and twenty three and you already have twenty seven, and then you can just trade eleven and twenty seven at the Chargers and go back and get the same guy you were going to draft. Anyway, It just makes perfect sense because eleven and twenty seven that's a premium that the charters are getting for the fifth pick. That's about an extra three hundred plus It's like three hundred and fifty plus points on the chart, So you're essentially getting a high third rounder for as a premium for them coming back up if you get picks eleven and twenty seven. So I saw all these people. You can't let the Cardinals do you like that? Tell them no way and that, and force Minnesota to trade with you instead, and force them to stay there and pick. And you got to remember, like these this isn't about spite. It isn't about who's who's getting one over on another. They're just individually wane. What is the fifth pick wor worth? And what are picks eleven and twenty seven worth or what are picks eleven, thirty six and seventy one worth the combined? How much value is in that versus keeping pick five. So that's how they don't care. If everybody wants to celebrate, you know, awesome Ford for what he did again, Oh my god, he's a master. He doesn't care about that. It's just worry about us. How often do you hear coaches say that we're worried about us, that you can worry about them and talk about about what they did here and how they signed this guy there. All we got to do is build our team. And if they feel like they're going to get a quality player at eleven and twenty seven that is of more value than the one player they would get it five, they're going to do it. Or if they want in that scenario, if they want eleven thirty thirty six, and yeah, they've been eleven thirty six and they have three threes, I believe they've got their They've got like their own the ones at like seventy one again night they got like six picks on the top of that or something crazy exactly. So there's any way for them to put it together to try to fill the holes on this roster. They have a lot. Only people realize how many holes they have to fill that. You know, they need a linebacker. They need an off ball linebacker. They need a big body in the middle of this defensive line. They need a legitimate defensive tackle. They need they need depth on the offensive line. They need a wide receiver. They need corners. They like there's a lot in drafting a wide receiver at five. So here's the here's the case for drafting the wide receiver at five. If your evaluation is gold star Hall of this is the best evaluation we have had on a player that's available to us in X number of years. How do you pass up on that? I think that's I know you want to play this way and but but hear me out, we can we can figure it out. Well, we'll find o' lineman, We'll find d Liman. We're gonna god knows coach at Michigan. You did it with three stars. You didn't do it with with five star blue chip Ohio state style recruiting classes. You you are good coaches. You're able to develop these guys. I'm telling you, I'm gonna get someone that we have. This is the highest rating I've put on a wide receiver since Jamar Chase saying the Marvin Harrison is a legitimate X bust you up. You better commit two bodies to them on every single snap. Like that's possible that that that that could end up being the conversation. But I don't know if it is. So you know, there's it's not. It's not foolproof. It's not, it's not there's nothing certain about this.
Speaker 3: It's never never in the draft. That's that's the biggest thing. There's been so many misses in the top five ten quarterbacks. Other position groups doesn't matter. But the further you get away from one, the more of a guess and gamble. I think it is. So if if you're at five and it's Harrison or Neighbors, and you believe that this is the safest bit you could possible you have, and you give this, this number one weapon to your your quarterback who's making a ton of money, and this guy's gonna be on a rookie deal for five years, It's like, Okay, we could still play this way, we could still be physical and run the football, but it doesn't hurt to give our quarterback, you know, a generational weapon. And and that's I guess that would be the conversation of five money. Like if if they're forced to pick, can you envision them taking anything else other than Harrison our Neighbors.
Speaker 1: So here's I don't think they're going to be forced to pick. I think they're either going to say we're sticking because we got to take this person, we had to take this player, that the evaluation is too high, the gaps.
Speaker 3: To force isn't the wrong if they decide what you're sick?
Speaker 1: Yeah, to me, it's they're they're sticking and they're going to pick the best player available. And to me, that's who knows. Maybe it is Joald, maybe maybe he's got to hire Grade. So this is I hope this analogy works. This is the way I would describe it if in fact they're going to play football the way I think they're going to play it. Imagine you have two options. Someone is coming. You've got a nice kitchen. You cook every night, you cook three You don't like go into restaurants. You cook your meals at home. But your oven's not great, it takes a little bit extra long. You don't have the nicest you know, you don't have a great microwave, you don't have great cookwear. So your meals are good, but they're not great. And you've got someone that says, hey, I can come in. You use this thing every day, three meals a day, and I am going to make just this incredible rest five star restaurant level kitchen for you to cook in every day. However, for the same amount of money, there is a hell of a vacation property down on the beach in Cabo. You've got an ocean view and you've got an infinity pool. Now you're not going to use it a lot because you've got to work. You're only going to be able to go there three weeks a year. But you are going to have one of the most beautiful properties in Cabo that anybody in town has got. But you're only gonna use it three weeks a year. Or I'm gonna take that money and I'm gonna redo your kitchen and you're gonna use it three times a day, every single day.
Speaker 3: So well, Lake Neighbors is a time share. He's a time share.
Speaker 1: Exactly the way that they're playing football. He's three weeks vacation. The the O line, the D line, corners like they're every they're three meals a day. That's just that's the way they play it. And the idea to have neighbors or a doomsday or Harrison is, hey, you know what we're gonna We're gonna need you justin we need you in this JJ. It's Alabama. Now, Okay, they got up on us. It's a tight game. We we've managed to hold them down. Defense is playing great. We've created some turnovers, but we need you get out there and make a play now because we're trailing and it's it's JJ McCarthy time, it's winning time, and I know you got it in you. And he went out and he made the plays and he had to. And that's what Jim Harbaugh was talking about. This guy's a winner and he sacrificed for the team and what's good for the hive is good for the b And we ran it thirty two straight times against Penn State because that's how we wanted to win. But when we needed him, we called on JJ and he want us to come. And I think that's maybe how you have to sort of visualize Justin Herbert, you know, and that's hey, justin And that's what Andy Bischoff said, right, that's what he said in his presser. We got to take something off this guy's plate. Man, you cannot put the weight of the world on him. Snap in and snap out, and you've got to throw it every time, and you've got to do the checks and you've got to no, hey man, kick back, relax, Let's run the ball, Let's play physical, Let's push these guys around. Let's have a fourteen play, eight minute drive. Against the Chiefs and go up seven to nothing. And now our defense with Byron Murphy that we took with the eleventh pick in the middle of the defensive line and Tulle and Joey and Khalil Mack is going to be firing off the ball on every single snap, you know, and and and like.
Speaker 3: That's it's just it's fascinating, man, it's fascinating what they can do. We don't know what. We haven't seen it, because you know, you you could throw a little bubble screen of elite neighbors and he could take it to the house like he's that explosive. Like you could still play that type of ball, but have somebody that you have to account for on the outside at all times and play action. And you know, it makes the running game even more deadly in my opinion, if you have somebody like that on the outside. So it's man, it's just it could go at five. It works both ways.
Speaker 1: At five.
Speaker 3: Six is another interesting spot because I think the Giants are probably in the elite neighbors Marvin Harrison market, but also maybe poking around a quarterback. And do they trade up? Do they trade up a couple of picks like you said, if they want ja Jim McCarthy and they don't think they can get them at six, do they kind of leapprog the Chargers and or you know, making sure that the Vikings don't get them. So like you have the Cardinals on one side, you have the Giants on the other, and you're trying to like visualize, like who are they going to take? Like the Cardinals could go in a variety of directions. The Giants they took Evan Neil, they took Andrew Thomas in the past over the past few years. Do they take another attack receiver? It does feel like wide receiver, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: If it's not a quarterback, it's wide.
Speaker 3: Do you hear what Lake Neighbors talking about? He goes, Yeah, they just got to get that quarterback situation figured out up there in New York. So little we'll see, uh, we'll see if malikas goods in New York. But at seven, it's it's Tennessee and I'm looking at potential trade partners and what certain teams may do. Would do they would they stick and pick Tennessee needs offensive linemen and you could probably get all at seven potentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or you know again, it's a deep offensive tackle class, so pick Field, it's not their number one. It could be Latham, it could be Fuaga, could be Fatanu, it could be Amarus Memphis. And even though he's only got eight starts, they love those eight starts. So that's they spent ninety two million bucks on Calvin Ridley. They drafted trailing Burke's in the first round two years ago. They paid Tony Pollard like they they drafted Will Levis. They believe in him. So to me, it's you better build that old line up. That's and that's kind of what we're talking about right with. It's like, yeah, great, you've got all these things, but you can't block for s, so you're not gonna get to use them. Tony Pollard is not gonna be able to run through any lanes because they're not open. And you've got no time to throw the ball to Calvin Ridley because you can't block the edges. So what does it matter what ye does to show his weapons? So that's that's that that seems to be, like the consensus is that's an offensive that's an offensive line pick right there, guaranteed.
Speaker 3: At eight, Atlanta took care of the quarterback with Kirk Cousins. You draft to Kyle Pitts, so no Brock Bowers. You drafted Drake London, so no rom with doings. Let's say this may be maybe first defensive player off the board territory or offensive lineman.
Speaker 1: I could see maybe I'm just going to there, going to their depth. They're are lads right now. Jake Matthews getting a little old in year ten at left tackle. They obviously they've they have always invested in O line heavily. So that's an interesting one there. How much time do they believe they have in Jake Matthews. With Jake Matthews, he's still pretty darn good. They got the receivers in Drake London, they signed Darnell Mooney, they traded for ron Daell Moore. We obviously know Bijeon is a stud. They're tight ends, Kyle Pitts, even Warner was pretty darn good as a blocking tight end. So good there. Yeah, I think you're probably right. I think you start looking at the edges and that makes sense. Maybe it's Dallas Turner, maybe it's Jared Verse, or you know, it could be a corner, certainly could be corner. H j Terrell's damn good. They drafted him in the first round, but they could use a second You can always use corners, so that could be the number one corner if they really like Terry and Arnold or Quinnon Mitchell. But yeah, that to me looks like it'll be defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 3: Then at nine the Bears they could stick or if they really wanted to just give Caleb Williams just a plethora of weapons.
Speaker 1: I guess the question is how much time do you think Keenan has left?
Speaker 3: Yeah, keen there for a year?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Is it one year? Then? Okay, then then wide receiver makes sense if a Dunees's sitting there, but they need help, they need another end. They so if Dallas Turner or Jared Verse are sitting there, they got to pair somebody with Montese sweater. They're just going to gang up on him with tight ends and backs to try to neutralize him. They could use you know that, That to me, that makes sense. It's like it's not all about I know you want Caleb to have the best possible introduction, but man, he's got solid old line, he's got DeAndre Swift, and he's got Cole Kamett, who's that damn good tight end. He's got DJ Moore, who is a legit number one receiver, and if he's your number one, Keenan's in the conversation is one of the best number twos in the league. So it's got Gerald Everett. Yeah, scot Gerald Everett is a second tight end. Like pretty good there, Swift pretty well covered. Yeah. Uh.
Speaker 3: Ten would be the Jets, and this could be brock Bauers territory. They could go offensive lineman.
Speaker 1: They could pick a thing, Brock Bowers, Brock Brown, Like, do you guys not realize that Layl line is terrible? Like that Aaron Rodgers is forty and has a blown achilles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Tyron Smith. This is a one year, one year project for Tyron Smith.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know, yeah, they signed Tyron Smith, they signed Morgan Moses. They're both great. If they're healthy, they're really really good. But man, guys get hurt, and I appreciate that they invet And that's I guess where the thinking with Bowers comes in is they sign Mike Williams perennially hurt. They've got Garrett Wilson, legitimate number one, Breis Hall legit, elite running back. I get all of that. And maybe this is where the whole Andy Bischoff conversation comes in, right, the you know we care about O line, Well, if you do, then invest in it. Put a draft pick on it. Jets, You've got elite tackles available to you. You know all the names we just mentioned, take your pick. It could be Alt, it could be Fuaga, Latham, you know whatever, they go ahead and get brock Bauers. It's like now they need a tight end. So totally possible. And I and I'm a you. We've talked about brock Bowers enough. You know, I love the guy. I think he's a freaking stud and it's going to be a stud in this league. But you know, Aaron Rodgers is forty, he's got a busted Achilles. The idea that you're gonna take.
Speaker 3: He doesn't like. He doesn't like rookies anyway, right, he historically doesn't like thrown to rule.
Speaker 1: Right, So Hecky made him sign Randall Cobb and Alan Lazard, who were got awful last year. I mean Lazard was terrible, terrible last year. So yeah, but yeah, I could see brock Bauers because he's that good, he's that good of a player. He's gonna be. Don't let the stupid photos fool you. Rob Gronkowski's a freak, complete freak of nature. So brock Bauer is gonna be a really really good tight end in this league, really good weapon. I should say he's more of an offensive weapon than anything else.
Speaker 3: Finally, eleven, this is where we think the Chargers could probably it's probably the most likely scenario, right, the Vikings move up.
Speaker 1: It's pretty clean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty clean, and at eleven you could miss out on a dune's day. But this is where you could pick your tackle, you could pick your corner, you could pick your edge. There's a lot of options here. And then if you have twenty seven to who's the same money? Like, listen, I know that you need as many bodies as possible. But if if somebody like Fuaga like starts slipping a little bit just because of there's a run on somebody and it's you know, eighteen nineteen, and you want to move up seven or eight spots, like who's to say you don't flip a third a future third or you know, a pick this year to get the guy that you want so I look at eleven and twenty seven as okay, yeah, you take best player available at eleven twenty seven. You know, I'm not married to kind of sticking and pick it at twenty seven. Like, if you see a guy who's kind of slipping down the draft board and you have a first round, great on them, you know, do what you can to get them.
Speaker 1: Right, Let's look the team. The team is more than a wide receiver away. I think that's the most important thing to remember. They need They've got a lot of needs. And so it's not just what they do at five or if they trade back, it's not just what they pick at eleven. It's they need to hit in this draft. They need to hit their second round or they need to hit their third rounder. Those are your money picks, man, those are starters on most teams. You know, you've got to get a two lead twoy Polo two and in the second round you've got to hit on these guys. And so so many people are focused on five, and I think it's it's more, Okay, what can we get at thirty seven? What is there? Still? Are we still in the corner game? Are we still in a starting corner position, What kind of linebacker might be available? How good is you know of a of a linebacker might be available at thirty seven, because we need to add to that room. Like it goes. Everybody is so focused on the first round pick without realizing the best pick that the Chargers had last year was a second and a fourth. You know, their fourth rounder was an All Pro returner and their second rounder was one of the best rookie defensive linemen in the in the entire draft class. So don't don't get too singularly focused on five. Start looking through this draft and think about where we get in corners, where's the linebacker coming from? Where's they need d lineman? They they need they need a center, they need they need guards, they need tackles. Like there's there's a lot that this team needs. So it's and that's why to me, the trade down if if you can add start you know when, so you know what we're talking about, Like you were talking about the safety idea of it. Right, if you pick it five, that's the safe pick, right, like, hey, this is the highest we have, Okay, but what if you get a two and a three if instead of the two, or or you get the two. Well, now I got two bites at the apple. Now I got two shots at getting a starter, or now maybe I have three shots. Can I get two starters out of my three picks? And now that's kind of how you start to build this roster out. So that's that's that's why there's so many different ways they can skin it. And it's it's not just necessarily taking one blue chip player because you don't want to run the risk, or let's not run the risk and take three bytes at the apple, and that way we got a better shot than one of them, because God knows, you know, just just look at the Rams. Look at what they've been able to do with twos and threes and fours and fives and Kyrin Williams and Pooka Nakua and Cooper Cup and like they have hit. That is how they didn't go from being what I thought was a team that was going to tank and one of the one of the worst, most inexperienced rosters in the league last year. So the playoffs and damn near a playoff win because they hit on their picks, those middle round picks, you know. And so that's they got to hit on the running back, and they.
Speaker 3: Gotta hit on the running back. I was gonna say, you know, that's like that Isaiah Spiller was a pict that. You know, Josh mc kelly fourth round or Isaiah Spiller fourth round er. We didn't get anything out of him.
Speaker 1: JT.
Speaker 3: Lewys hasn't got haven't gotten anything out of him.
Speaker 1: Right, those are thirds and fourths. You gotta hit on those.
Speaker 3: They have to start. They have to start in this league. And right, you know, running back is another position. I was listening to the Athletic Pot with Daan Brugler this week. They talk about you know, Korum and Allen and and Dane says something very interesting. He said that, you know, in talking to everybody around the league that the order of how teams have running backs is all over the board. Like Blake korumb could be the second running back off the board in one team's eyes and the seventh in another team's eyes. That's how it is. That's how I have the beholder it is. So it's really about fit in finding the guy that's going to make the most sense for this offense, and you can't afford not to hit on him. And you know, maybe this is the year that we do see something at Isaiah Spiller.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: We didn't see em in a game hardly at all over over two years.
Speaker 1: So maybe he gets some run, who knows, or maybe they're just waiting for post draft so there's no compensatory pick attached to it, and it's JK. Dobbins and they're just waiting like, hey man, we got you. Here's what the number is going to be. If you're good with it, wait till after the draft when the compensatory pick goes out the window, and we'll sign you. And maybe that's what they'll do. Like that's that's the whole thing is there's still gonna be a ton of free agents available that you can try to build depth and stock this roster with the players that fit the philosophy that you want to operate under. But just to reiterate that point, as you know, you kind of built on it there, Chris. They they need they need starters. They need to they need to do what Baltimore did in the third round with their defensive interior. You know, their interior lineman on defense like Matta bk was a third rounder. That's the kind of that's the kind of hit they need. It's a Kobe Turner for the Rams. Yep, like Young Turner, Like think about those are second young as a second rounder, a third rounder. Turner was a third rounder. Kyraen Williams was a fifth rounder. Like dude there Avila was a second rounder. Like, you got to hit on those guys, That's what you got to hit on. That's and that's really where a lot like look, Harry, look at this. I'm gonna go through it for you want to talk about. Here's what you're contending with. Chiefs. Mike Dana was a fifth, Derek Noddy a third, Chris Jones a second. We know, Carl Lofti's was a first, Nick Bolton second, Chanal third. You know, Trent McDuffie was the twenty fifth pick in the draft. Like, they hit on all those defensive picks, and it wasn't just ones, it was twos, threes, fours, and fives that they were able to hit on that that basically saved them. You know that, that's that that's how they won the Super Bowl last yeary rode the defense. It was not humming, Yeah, it was the defense. And you know what, like the fact that they got Creed Humphrey in the second Tray Smith in the sixth. That's what saved them. Their tackles were terrible last year. Donovan Smith was okay, but Orlando Why am i? Orlando Brown was not good. Juwan Taylor was terrible. The interior of their line that they drafted in the second and sixth round is what saved them, Humphrey and Smith. So like, those are the picks you gotta hit on, you know.
Speaker 3: Dj DJ brought this up about the quarterbacks too.
Speaker 1: Once.
Speaker 3: Once you start making big money in this league, your weapons they go away, like Tyreek Hill had to go away in Kansas City. Stefan Diggs just went away in Buffalo. So it's up to Justin, like you said, like Justin. The hope is he doesn't have to put the team on his back for eighty percent of the time. But when it's winning time in its fourth quarter and you got to make play, Justin Herbert, you get and paid money to make a play and win a game. The number one option right now would be guess Joshua Palmer. We put josh Is our wide receiver one right now.
Speaker 1: And in Los Angeles, yeah, absolutely, I mean he's Quentin's not better than he is. Yeah, but which is why they're not done. But they've said that, like every coach has said that they're not that. He said it, like we're not done that that that wide receiver room.
Speaker 3: Is whether whether it's at five or second round or free agency. Yeah, it doesn't even like that's it.
Speaker 1: Look if it's Ricky Piersoll or Lad McConkey or Roman Wilson or like there's other players ad Mitchell Xavier Worthy to get that four to two speed to take the top off and just run him down the field. And now Quentin's operating under and Josh Palmer can be the Keenan Allen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get a little juice on the field too. Maybe the year's days play little offense. Remember that one game against the the Raiders where I think he had like a sixty yard run first drive, Like they kind of got him going, kellenm moore got him going, Like you know, maybe he's maybe he's a piece that they can use it on the offense this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, And I'm just to kind of put a put an exico measure, put a punctuation to punctuate it. Drake Greenlaw fifth round, Fred Warner third round, Hafonga fifth round. Like, those are high level starters on a super Bowl caliber defense that they're getting in Deebo Samuel second round, Brandon Ayuk was a late first rounder. So you just got to hit. It's it. You just got to hit on those picks. So it's not about number five, it's about all nine and really it's about your right now, they have two fours, so let's call it, let's call it five picks that right now that they have the two fours, the three, the two in the one got to hit on. Yeah, at least three of them he got.
Speaker 3: I think he had to get four starters out of those first five picks. Like, you gotta find a way, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to find start not immediate, but by the end of the year. By the end of the year. These are players that have assimilated to the system, that are playing at a high enough level. You've developed enough to where if they're not starting their rotation players and they're getting significant snaps. Yeah, it's not dyone Henley in the third special teams only, it's significant snaps.
Speaker 3: Well, that's another guy like Henley's gonna have to He's gonna have to take a step this year, Like he's on this roster a third round pickment, Like we wanted to see him start last year, Like he's gonna have to make some hay this year.
Speaker 1: I go back.
Speaker 3: I've gone back off to this class of twenty eighteen and like when the Charges were twelve and four, Like big reason why they won was obviously Darwin was an All Pro his rookie season. Justin Jackson, a seventh round pick who won them the game in Pittsburgh and in Kansas City had a touchdown. Chenna Chenna second round pick, second round pick, Monsteron Jones, second rounder Justin Jones started in that Baltimore game on the road wild card. Like, like that class from top to bottom contributed to the success of the team. Kaizer got Kaizer was starting at the beginning of the year before he got hurt, you know. So like that was a really good class and a big reason why the team was able to get to twelve and four. Obviously you had a lot of talented veterans, but like guys made plays throughout the course of a season, a sixteen game season. Yeah, time, So that's the beauty of this team, is it? Like it's very incomplete, right, now. But there's gonna be guys who have their name called over that weekend that are going to contribute it a huge way for this team in twenty twenty four. It's gonna be exciting to see man two weeks, Chris, two weeks two. We can stop talking about it, frankly, two weeks. Frankly, I wish it was one week. I wish it was one week away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not me. I'm gonna be in Hawaii. So two weeks.
Speaker 3: Oh, are you going to Hawaii?
Speaker 1: Going to Hawaii?
Speaker 3: I mean you should get a day, you should get a week off from the pod.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're right. I'll put in my seven days right now, put.
Speaker 3: It in your seven days. I'll get a guest.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'd love to have you, but like I'll be come on, we can maybe figure it out. Maybe we can maybe we can figure something out. We'll figure it'll be it'll be the last pod prior to the well, actually, no, I guess technically Thursday will do a pod prior or maybe we'll do it on Wednesday prior to the draft. Anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we should probably we should probably do one that Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, yeah, Well, now we'll do it Thursday from the from the draft party, so we'll actually do it post first round. I guess we'll figure it out. That'd be a good one. Figure it out. I'll see how my Loha is feeling a week from today and whether or not I'm here when you get back Sunday.
Speaker 3: Sunday, Okay, yeah, you talk offline.
Speaker 1: About this exactly. Hey, show the people how the sausages made. This is how we figured things out. I'm a terrible person for not giving anybody the heads up. Hey man, we can congratulations to our man b and Lauren because yeah's helping us out here today.
Speaker 3: Producer be getting married, Happy couple. Congratulates happy couple, and shout out to Greg Kim for holding it down for us too. Greg, exactly, great, real quick, you had a question. Just get online and ask the question of money.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: What color do you want the third helmet to be?
Speaker 1: What color do I want the third helmet to be? Oh boy, that's a good one. What's the right answer there? Because you know, I don't like the Navies. I think so we are that's I said.
Speaker 3: I said, the Navies just the nostalgia, you know, nineties.
Speaker 1: You know what you know how I feel, and I know it's a very unpopular position. I want it to be royal. I want a royal blue helmet, man, royal helmet on circa. I want the late I want the late seventies, early eighties, you know, Jack Cecil, Dan Fouts, Lance Alworth. That's what I want. I want the Royals. Man, give me royal and royal, Royal and royal. Well, it's it's the alternate. Let me see here, nineteen eighty let's go nineteen eighty one Chargers uniforms. Yeah, so it's royal, royal gold. That's that's my favorite one. That that year, the Chargers nineteen eighties royal helmet, Royal Jersey gold pant. It was from seventy four through looks like eighty six, seventy four through eighty six had the Royals seventy three they went powder, seventy two powders, sixty eight powder. So yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: From me on the royal front man, I love the Royals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Royals have a sig family Royals. Yeah. What do you think of that? Greg? Is that a good answer?
Speaker 3: No? It's it good?
Speaker 1: Greg? Well, at the fans' side, well, what do you think they want.
Speaker 2: I think they want black see to me, all.
Speaker 3: Right, cop, what everybody does comedy wherever you listen, Uh, Royal Navy like like throwback Navy or black see see this is me like old man like seeing all these NBA uniforms that have nothing to do with like the classical city connect I can't stand. I'm sorry, sorry, guys, if you like them. I don't like any of the like the the new NBA uniforms, like like you have no business, Lakers have no business not wearing like just purple and gold, like I like the Black Mother an exception there, but oh Greg's back in.
Speaker 1: I don't know's.
Speaker 2: I've seen yellow helmet markups on Twitter as well.
Speaker 1: Yellow. That'd be kind of cool. That'd be kind of you know, flip it you mean, so it'd be like a it would be like a yellow top, yellow helmet with or is it just a yellow helmet with like whites, I wonder, yeah, a bunch of weights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yellow with the power blue uniforms.
Speaker 1: It'd be kind of cool, be all right, but yellow, I don't know the vibe.
Speaker 2: Do you do you need it?
Speaker 3: Do you need it?
Speaker 1: So you get it? You get there. They're they're allowing an alternate helmet now, so no doubt they're going to take advantage of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'll take advantage of it.
Speaker 1: Give me royal. I'm going on. I'm going on, I'm going up. Yeah. I guess you could also do that old school charge for logo to which would be kind of cool with the horse in it.
Speaker 3: I like.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like the old school logos too. I'm a I'm an old school guy money. I don't like this these new city connects.
Speaker 1: And like some of these MLB. I will say, though, I do like the Miami Heat ones. That's pretty cool. The Miami you know, the the Miami Vice Vibe Miami Heat ones are kind of cool. I'm alright with that. When you can really tie in something that is a significant part of the city is kind of cool. You can get away with that.
Speaker 3: So all right, lift the heat one slide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't think this was going to be a long one, and yet here we are. Man a lot in.
Speaker 3: Break chime in it at the end, get getting some good helmet questions in and you.
Speaker 1: Know, got my master's themed polo ons. You notice that the Azaleas. I'm pretty excited about it.
Speaker 3: Little Travis Matthew actions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, celebrating the Masters starting today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how did Tiger do one under? Okay?
Speaker 1: How about that? All right? How about that one under? We'll take it. That's that's in position to make the cut. I'm all right with that. Yep.
Speaker 3: I like to see Tiger play Saturday Sunday. Absolutely, all right, guys, let's get out of here. Okay for money, I'm Chris has been Chargers Weekly and for Greg Kim as well. Greg, shout out to you, brother. We'll see you next time.