Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling you can have because for the first time in your life, you'll make a new decision that's.
Speaker 2: Going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do.
Speaker 1: And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host, Rashan McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe decide to your HM, it's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own.
Speaker 2: Keep winning.
Speaker 1: The interviews and information that this show provides are for everyone. Like I tell everybody every week, it's time to stop reading other people's success stories and start planning and living your own. It's really important when I say that, because that's as honest as I can get.
Speaker 2: You know, I have lived a life like you.
Speaker 1: I'm a dreamer and I've had some dreams of incredible hype. You don't think You don't think I wanted to be Michael Jordan. You don't think I wanted to be Denzil Washington you don't think I wanted to be Michael Jackson. We were the same age. We are the same age. If he was allowed today, Michael Jackson, I'd be the same age. So you know, I wanted to be Michael Jackson, but the reality is I could only be Rashaan McDonald. And that's what I'm just telling you when you listen to the show, I want you to be the best you can be, and the device that I give you on this show hopefully can enable you to understand how you can accomplish that task. My next guest is the best of what he can be. He's not out there trying to be nothing else but what he is. And the award winning TV host, celebrity chef, restaurant tour, best selling cookbook author and host of the New Soul Kitchen and New Soul Kitchen Remix on CLEOTV. Please welcome to the Money Making Conversations with Master Class. I got to call my best friend. He's my best friend in the kitchen Chef Gernard Wells.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, I think I had with you on that. Thank you for having me on Money Making Conversations, mass Oh.
Speaker 1: You know I always go back, man, You know this is how you this is how you create a relationship. I started buying money making conversation platform in Houston, Texas in twenty seventeen, and this young man found me, found me and through his I won't say persistence, he just presented who he was and what he was doing and how he was going about his product. Tell everybout how you, how you was, how you was moving your products and promoting your products when you went into the when you was on your first major grocery store chain.
Speaker 2: Talked about that.
Speaker 3: You know, one of the things with my manufacturer home Cuisine, I believe sometimes and not sometimes, but all the time we have to put our best foot forward and go out and get what we want. And once I launched my company, it was, okay, how do I get in these major retailers because a lot of times it's hard. But from being a small man faction to a big one, they keep that kind of information. So I say, you know what, I'm gonna go one store at a time, the same way they see, how how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. So I went into store courts, I went through all of the proper procedures of making sure that my manufacturing company has the right amount the right amount of insurance because anytime, if you're going into any kind of distribution store wise, you always have to have at least a minimum of two million dollars in insurance companies. I know a lot of people are listening and hear that, don't be along with that. There are plenty of insurance carriers that you can get amazing rates for that. But that's to cover you in the event something happened with your product. You know, something goes wrong, you won't always make sure you cover and the grocery stores are going to require that you have this. So after putting that in place, also getting my UPC code. You know, you see those bar codes that are on the back of bottles or sauces of any packages. Those UPC codes are is what is attached to your business and it follows your company in that particular product for the rest of its life. And I know a lot of people say, okay, well, I can go online and I can buy UPC code for a dollar thirty cent. That is true, you can buy a used UPC code. The only thing is that UPC code is attached to whatever company initially purchased that UPC code. If you want to have your own organic UPC codes for your company, you have to go through the government, which is GS one. Once you get your GS one certification, then that's tied to you. That keeps track of your sales, That keeps track of wherever your product goes around the world. When using a used UPC code, whenever they scan and say in Walmart, Target, Whole Foods, it's going to pull up whatever company originally had that. So that's the downside sometimes to saving money. So putting that in place, getting my ingredient analysis, getting a facility to start producing, and you know, there are so many options. Now you can go the route like I did because I really believe in knowledge and I wanted to know as well as that's a way to really keep track of your money. So I created my own manufacturing company and went through all the legitimacy of making it a company just like craft hinds of anyone else. If you don't want to go through that, you can go the copacking route. Provide a company that does that your recipes, you're sign an NBA with them, they're start producing it, but remember they're going to get a portion of that So after I get my company going, I'm going to these grocery stores and I'm pitching to them, and so one of them informing, you know, if someone comes in and requests your products and you have a UPC code, then we have to order it in because it's in our database across the country. So I said, shum. Interesting from never, so I started going into grocery stores requesting my own product and giving it. Hey, I want to order this particular product right here, here is good, here's the UPC code. Can you guys order it in grocery stores? Absolutely when you go to customer service, they did not tell you no, They've reached out to my company. Of course ordered that product in. Then when the product came in, I didn't go back in there to buy it. What I did was I sent concerts just people, people, just I was meeting in the parking lot of airwhells. Hey, here's five dollars going in, purchases, bottle of sauce, gifts on me, here's this good person. And I did that to create my own supply and demand. And once they started saying, man, people are requesting, people are buying this product. So from that point being chef Gennard at the businessman, not the consumer, going, Hey, I see you guys have been ordering my products here at Hold Foods. I would love to talk to you about carrying it on a regular basis. And from there I made sure that one one store that I was in in Chattanooga, Tennessee did so well that they took my products nationwide so that all Whole Foods would be able to carry. And those are things I always say sometimes when your funds are limited and you're looking for different ways, there's more than one way to achieve a goal. You just have to be willing and ready to step out of your comfort zone and do things that people typically wouldn't think of.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, first of all, great, that's like, you know, if you go to Harvard Business School, you know, marketing one on one, marketing without a budget or small budgets, you know, without using social media, without using a fan club or email base.
Speaker 2: This is what you do. Personality.
Speaker 1: This was a personality driven campaign with the instinct of saying supplying demand attached to it.
Speaker 2: Hear what I'm saying, supplying demand.
Speaker 1: He went in a store, he had a supply He initiated an action that there was a demand for by using this personality, by approaching people and said, would you purchase my product? You love it, here's the money to assist you in the purchase. They went inside, they were inspired by his enthusiasm, purchased this product, went out and went Wow, this is really good and guess what they became returning customers. What always annoys me by people is they don't know how to invest in their own brand.
Speaker 2: Chef, talk to me about that is so true.
Speaker 3: That is so true. And one of the things I've learned is you have to be your biggest cheerleader, in your biggest sales person. And if you don't believe enough in your own brand to invest in your own brand, trust me, nobody else will. So you have to be willing to grab that knowledge and do what it takes to draw enough tension to make the right people pay attention to you in the right way. And even back to my even back to myselfs after I did that, that was just the first hurdle. After I achieved it and I got it in the stores, guess what it was time to do? Then, now it's time to really put it into action. So now chefs and I'm going into the stores. I'm dim on, I'm displaying because if they ordered the product, I want to ensure that these products get sold so that they can keep ordering. So unwilling to I started traveling all over the United States everywhere y'all care, everywhere, they care about products, whether it's a big order, small order. I made an appearance to ensure it sol and I kept doing it until I got to a point where it became like, as they say, the hams on the wheel, it starts taking care of itself and then I can then focus on branding and marketing from a bigger area. But it goes back to you have to be willing to take the chance on yourself before anybody else will believe in you. Too often we jump out there and say, oh, I've been on TV or I got this product, I got this, I got that, But how much are you investing into yourself? Same thing, just like with my TV show Rashawn Newsoul Kitchen. As a matter of fact, you know, the season premier just started last week. I'm on season five. But one of the things that contributes to the success of that show is the fact that I invested in myself when it came to this show. Too often do I see chefs or just entertainers as a whole. They land an opportunity to be on somebody's TV show or have their own show, and what they're expecting after they finished standing, Oh, the network is gonna dump all these all this money into my marketing campaign, my media campaign, all these things, and then you found up you end up saying, oh, the network ain't really got a budget, or either the network don't want to release their budget to me. So guess what you have to do? You have to be willing to brand and market yourself once again to ensure that it's successful. And that's one of the things that all don't I want to command Cleo TV and TV one. They have been strong footings behind me and they have been there all along and every step to ensure and help with my success. But it was once they saw, oh wow, Chef Janard is really go get a Chef Janard ain't waiting on uhsing. I went out of hide my own look, I went out of hire my own market and PR team. I went out of hire my art found all these people to put it. And what I told them, I said, I have this show, I need you to focus on branding me and branding this show. Branding so that regardless of what the network is doing with it, I'm going to ensure that I have a successful show because this is part of my bread and butter. So we have to be willing to invest in ourselves.
Speaker 1: Now, investing key, invest in ourselves. Now, what's the difference between your shows on Cleo TV New Soul Kitchen and New Soul Kitchen Remix.
Speaker 3: The difference the difference between the two New Soul Kitchen is our long format. New Soul Kitchen remixes a short format, short format. A lot of people don't even realize that what you would call ten minutes then as the shows are typically ten minutes on remix and in between it's our commercials that's packaged. But these short form shows are me showing you how to create meals in a fraction of the time, thirty minutes or less meals. Because one of the things I see the need as being a father, a husband, a friend when we go when we get home at the end of the day and get you gotta feed yourself, or you gotta feed feed the children or whomever you got waiting on you, and you're tireful work. How do I create outstanding meals in a fraction of the time. That's where Chef Jannar's Knew So Kitchen Remix comes in, and I show you how to create these Monday through Money, as I call them, Monday through Thursty meals because you know, when Friday hears are shown, we turn up, were ready to go all out whatever we're eating. And that's where New Soul Kitchen comes in. At New Soul Kitchen teaches you how to create those award winning dishes, those dishes when you're trying to impress that significant other, those dishes look when you want to be the talk of the neighborhood. That's what News Old Kitchen and more importantly, with being a producer on that show, I'm honored and excited that the network gives me the opportunity to show who I am, my character, my genuineness, because I always want people to know the same person that you see on TV, if you see me in the airport, if you see me doing a live show somewhere, I'm the same exact person. Because too often do we fall in love with characters of people and then we be disappointed when we meet the real individual. I never wanted to be there, and I'm so honest that they allow me to produce and put out content with my powerhouse production family that the world when they see me, they're like, hey, this seems like the real chef Jannar And the reason it seems like that because it is there.
Speaker 1: You go, New Soul Kitchen, Remix, New Soul Kitchen. I'm speaking to the real chef Genard Wells. When we come back, we're gonna find out about all his charity work that he's doing out there.
Speaker 2: And also, I gotta I gotta confess.
Speaker 1: He showed me up in the kitchen. Y'all came to my house, my building and showed me I taught me and I can't cook. That's basically that's what he showed me.
Speaker 3: That's what.
Speaker 2: You're back for.
Speaker 1: More money make comes to me, you know, that's why he laughing.
Speaker 2: Don't go back, y'all gotta hear this story. Don't go nowhere by about.
Speaker 3: Web.
Speaker 4: Be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass with Rushawn McDonald's Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass hosted by Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Speaker 1: You know chef Genod Wells. You know I say that word chef because you know, he's kind of honory. You know, he's one of these guys that you know, I liking it to sports. Okay, if you out there with Michael Jordan, you know, good and well, you out there with Mickael Jordan, Okay, you don't. You just get his autograph and don't try to play basketball. Well, okay, I'm in the kitchen with chefs Genoid. Well, I knew I was in the kitchen with chef's John. I should have just took a selfie and just let him do his thing. And so I started bragging about my cabbage. You know, my cabbage. You know, he said, Okay, Shans cabbage, because I got my in my office area. I got a Roushan's kitchen. I plant my tomade, I play my cabbages. Oh, I'm about to start playing it in the minute here. Chefs you know. Up and he said, he says, he said, so, so how you fixing ra Sean?
Speaker 2: We can wrap We can do that real quick, real quick. Man, it takes me three hours do my cabbages. You know, I gotta let them he said, three hours.
Speaker 1: He said, I knocked that out right, this shell, you know. I said, we can knocked that out in fifteen minutes. I said, fifteen minutes. Man, how you making cabbages in fifteen minutes when you tell them versus my three hour process? What you did in fifteen minutes with your cabbages to let me to go? I should have took a selfie when I was in the kitchen with you instead of running off at the mouth.
Speaker 3: You know. One of the things I always tell people when it comes to cooking, I want you to think restaurant. And what I mean when I said when it comes to cooking, I want you to think restaurant. If you go on the restaurant and you wait longer than thirty minutes on anything, you anger, all right, this is too long. And there's a reason. It's because there's a method on our style of how we prep how we prepare a dish to cook it in the fraction of the time. Because everything is chemistry. One of the things we know about cabbage is outside of cabbage being a green greenery, that's full of antioxidants. And I pointed out the fact about the antioxidants because we know this is men's health. Cabbage is full of antioxygents, plus is full of water. So when you add it to a skillet, whether it's your cast iron skillet or your non stick skillet, you can use minimum water because the cabbage is gonna start to release the moisture, it's gonna wilt down, and it's gonna get pretty much four tigers the way you want it. So the key is what you do. Once you start off with your cabbage. You cut it to your thin specifications. You want to start salt tanning with your olive oil, adding your garlic and whatever season is that you like, because I always say when you season it, when you food, cook it the way you like it, and inn serve it to other people so that they experience who you are, because food is no more than an extension of who we are as an individual. Once you saw tearing it down and you get it to that right point where where you like it wilt it to, then you add in just a small amount of your whether it's chicken stock, your vegetable stock, or if you just want to use straight water. You add that in pop a lid over it, and I guarantee you keep it on long fifteen minutes. You have some of the best cabins you ever had, and in that cabin you can add in your ball peppers, your onions, you know, sometimes the shine. I e't even add collar greens into my cabbage when I'm salting.
Speaker 1: Another thing. I cooked for two and a half to three hours. By the way, okay before I met the Michael Jordan in the kitchen. Okay, just let y'all know is a way to do it right. And as a way, see my mama, I was cooking like my mama. I just that's ah. I saw cooks you just like that. But my mama didn't look like Jeff to know it well. So I thought I knew what I was talking about. Now I know about it.
Speaker 2: It's done right.
Speaker 1: We do it right in our house. I'm very happy to say that. But you do a lot of great things, chef, you know it wells. I'm going to transition into the charity work that you do. A lot of big events, a lot of catering that you engaged in. Tell us about you know, you have a catering side of your business that you that you do a lot of big events, but also you do events with that with I didn't even know that Tom john A Cruise was still going on, and you say it still goes on.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Tom Johnner Cruise has been going strong for over twenty much years.
Speaker 2: Is he still on the air. He's still on the air, right.
Speaker 3: No, Tom, You know Tom passes the throng to Ricky Smiley, So Ricky Smiley holds tom original spot. But what Tom does? Tom saying, ain't gotta be on their y'all come on this crewse and you got five thousand people hanging with him for seven days straight. That up closing person with Tom is a real deal because when they say it's a party with a purpose, it really is. And one of the things what myself, being an HBCU alarm, I really love giving back and that's the chef Jenni philanthropy side of things where I love stepping in the places like with the Tom Join A Fantastic Boyds and my team and I we've created what's called the Tom Johnner Culinary Council, and I'm one of the founding members of that and we helped create the dishes that are served to our people while we at sea. So you truly get the full HBC you experience. You truly get the full the full chef experience, because you can't have a cruise without great food. You put seven You put almost five thousand people on the ship for seven days straight with some terrible, terrible food. They can see some of the best. They leave that day that was the worst. But Tom joining them got it figured out. Him and this team I started with them. I've been with them now for about seven years right, and the course of that seven years, from competing on there to flagship and recipes, it's become an amazing family and I love playing a part. As a matter of fact, we set sall eight through twenty seven through May fourths of this year. Leaving out of Miami. We had to the Turkey k Coons, We had to the Dominican Republic and to Puerto Rico. So we got some amazing stops. But the real fund is on the ship when we're at seeing party and cooking up. I do live cooking shows, the whole nine. But then there's just one side of the giving back. Others is from the front, from the frank Ski Foundation Frank Steeke Frank Ski that has a foundation that's for kids, and I love actually playing a part with him and donating. And that's where my catering company comes in at because I have a catering company and I've been and my catering company has been distance for over twenty years, which is under the same flagship name Hoult Cuisine. But we going and they auctioned me off. They auctioned me off to the bidders in there, and those funds that they raised from auctioning, I donate that towards the charitable organization. So you can only imagine some of the some of the monetary benefits that they benefit off of using my name. But I love lending my name to great causes life.
Speaker 1: Now, I was with you in Miami at the Historic Hampton House. That was an amazing event that I watched you and there was another huge charitable event where your skills brought an incredible, diverse crowd and great food.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it did it. The Historic Hampton House. A fun fact about it, it's one of the original hotels that was in the Green Book. If you don't know, so I know you know what it is.
Speaker 2: Rashon.
Speaker 3: But for our listeners, the Green Book actually was a map years ago what African Americans used to travel around the United States because there was certain hotels that we only could stay in, certain routes that we only could take, and certain times of the day that it was safe for us to travel. So we had this Green Book and it was pretty much the African American Atlas. The historic Hampton House was a part of that Green Book. So if you went to Miami, that's where you you would have stayed. And when I tell you, when you walk in, you see some of the most surreal pictures on the wall from Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali. As a matter of fact, when Muhammad Ali first won the World Championship, that's where he stayed. He photoed South Beach, but had to go back to Brownsville, Old Brownsville in Miami to stay at the Hampton.
Speaker 2: House, right, and a photo was taken by Malcolm X. His photo at the bar.
Speaker 1: It was you know, it was you know, just watching your career man, and just just seeing you. I just want to, you know, just say this to you, my friend. You're just a very very special talent. And I just want to do whatever I can in my power to just let people understand not only the community side and the talent side, but it's the family side. You was just a three sixty man, and uh, you know, I'm just mad because April twenty seventh. You know I've been Houston at the Black Man. Well this marching you're about to take off on your cruise, you know you emphasizing party and eating food.
Speaker 2: But again my heart will be with you.
Speaker 1: Chefs, you know it well, the Michael Jordan of the Kitchen, as far as Rashwan is concerned, this chef you go, you should and thank you man, thank you, thank you for coming on my show, Money Making Conversations master Class.
Speaker 2: But we talk soon.
Speaker 3: Man, okay, thank you for having me and guys, make sure you watch New Soul Kitchen this Wednesday, nine thirty Eastern, eight thirty Central.
Speaker 1: Love it man. You know how the market, don't it. This has been another episode of the Money Making Conversations master Class hosted by me Rashan McDonald. Thank you and oh my guess you know John Gregory, Chef to Know It Wales, the mj of the Kitchen, and thank you my listen. Knowing is join us next week. You remember to always leave with your gifts and keep winning.
Speaker 4: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Masterclass. Money Making Conversations Masterclass with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight to fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts