Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling you can have because for the first time in your life, you'll make a new decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do. And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host with Shan McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe the size of your HM. It's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own keep winning. My guest, longtime friend, powerhouse and real estate broker and designer Egypt Taraud and a husband. He's newby life, like I've stated, builder Mike Jackson. They're based in Atlanta. If you can be a dreamer and you want to dream about it your home or your fantasy, your place that you want to rest your head and your family, think about it. Egypt will design it and Mike will build it. That's a slogan, not buying.
Speaker 2: That's theirs.
Speaker 1: They know plenty by juggling the booming property business, pleasing clients, managing their home and raising three daughters. And they are beautiful dollars, so precious, especially the young one when he had when you have this one scene when he walking around with a pamp on.
Speaker 2: His head, You're gonna love him.
Speaker 1: They make it look effortless and fun in an HGTV series Marriage to Real Estate. You can also catch Egypt and Mike's guest judges in the last season of HGTV's mega hit home renovation competition series Rock the Block, where you see four competing teams. We're looking at the renovation.
Speaker 3: King and Queen King and Queen of AHG TV. We claim and thank you for Sean. We appreciate that love. And you are absolutely right. I've been around you and I we know each other quite well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, but it's a good but you know something each it's a good been around because all the time I've always seen you. First of all, your personality has been positive. And one thing I've loved about her, Mike, is that you know opportunities. She's not She's fearless because that's what a lot of people do. Because met her in radio and so when some people start saying I want to do something else. They can get so locked and comfortable, they don't do it, and so and so, so many different levels and so and that was that was that was urban radio that she was in, Okay, and then she can't Now she's coming into another area of I want to say, just there's not we don't see many black people, won't see so many people of color like you too. That's why it's so refreshing to see that. And I like to believe this is something we're going to see on the regular basis. But and seeing the first two episodes of your new series, Marriage to Real Estate, I found a family environment that I was engaged with. But more importantly, this is what y'all do. I never questioned that you guys who are prop I never caught you know what I'm saying that that's what can happen. You know, they get a cute couple like you guys, you got the cute little children. You know, they say, y'all be a great TV show. It's no doubt in my mind this is what y'all do. But each I have to go back to this because you know, this is I call this my masterclass series. Because you're talking about people in a market. Now, we all know it's hard to get a home out that nowadays. Okay, it's sometimes thirty people waiting on the same building and trying to call their home. How did y'all how did y'all? How were y'all able to do a series and this type of real estate boom where homes are scarce and people is trying to make a decision on different properties while you're doing the show.
Speaker 3: So, Ri Sean, you know, I'm a real estate broker. It's what I've done for, you know, twenty years. And that also means that I've lived through and strived through and grew through every real estate environment. You know, when the bubble burst and you know, people were losing their houses and needed to be saved with short you know, from foreclosures with short sales. I coached them through it and help clients through that. Now we're in an environment where first time home buyers are being edged how completely. Even experienced home buyers are like one of thirty different offers and listenings are going for fifty sixty seventy thousand over ass in price. I mean, it's crazy out here right now, but I think that this is what I've been built for. If that makes sense, all these years of working through living, through existing, through buying, through renovating, through in our own lives has prepared us for this moment where we can help our clients through and there. If I told you the hows and would, I would be giving away all my tricks of the trade when I go up against other offers. So I won't go there. But what I will say is stay encouraged. And if you're in the market to buy a home, make sure all real estate agents were not created equal. They were not. You take a class, you get a license if you pass the test. But what you want is a seasoned, experience shown and proven real estate professional who can coach you and come up with a strategy to help you, you know, get successfully to the line.
Speaker 1: Great now, Mike, you know when I google Egypt, you know, a lot of things pop up. Pictures, photos, she's posing this way, posing this way, television show, television show. You know, it's just a background into entertainment. You this business or I just see a reference to a business. Give us a little background on your journey into a home building, renovations and in this market, and so we can get assist your culture and your expertise.
Speaker 2: Definitely. Definitely.
Speaker 4: So I've been in construction, I want to say since I was a kid.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I started with my uncle and my grandfather. They had a construction company, would and they would always bring me along future forward. I started with the local twenty eight trade in New York City where I was a journeysman for sheet metalwork, right, and then I transitioned into owning my own company, which is Jackson Draper Renovations, where we pretty much do it all carpentry, plumbing, electricity, you know, exterior work, all of the above. It's myself and my uncle, my partner, which is you'll see him on the show as well.
Speaker 2: His name is Mark.
Speaker 4: And this is what I do. You know, my wife and I were teaming up what you're seeing on the show where we're trying to merge the two businesses under one umbrella, you know, bring a real estate construction design.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one design house, one design house. But you gotta you're gonna tell her. I don't think he knows the full story that that's how we met.
Speaker 2: It is how we met.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you, thank you kept his brother out like you do on the show. Anyway, he knew He's knew.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 4: It's not that I was trying not to take up too much of the time.
Speaker 1: I said, this is a masterclass we're teaching. We're educating people about this beautiful couple.
Speaker 4: Here's what was on my mind is why I didn't want to talk to much about me, because I wanted to piggyback off of the discussion you brought up in the beginning. As far as we're not being feelless, she's beyond that feelings. She's also selfless. Yes, she's the tipe to where she doesn't worry about what every one else is gonna think, despite of what it's cool or despite what's hot at the moment, She's gonna do what's gonna make sense for her and what is going to be successful for those around her, meaning family. It's not about the business or the hype of the business. It's about, Okay, what's smart for the moment and what's going to make sense in the future. So that's what I wanted to touch on. That's why I can go to first much into.
Speaker 3: Me than you.
Speaker 4: But yes, we met in our early stages. I was actually DJing and I still do periodically.
Speaker 3: Tell you when I met you I was a radio DJ.
Speaker 4: You know, we met in three separate incidents, but one of them took us back to where I ended up on a rooftop with her because she had her foot miril stuck in the room, you know, the shelf, please.
Speaker 2: Sean.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: So, so I was flipping houses in New Work, New Jersey while I was a radio personality in New York City, right, And I'm a scorpio. And what that kind of means is if you back me into a corner, my stinger comes up and sometimes it goes overwhel but not always over overwhelmed in business, and so what happened was all my contractors walked off the job. Wow, because I came off way hard. It's hard to be a woman working in construction as well. You know, men don't always take that well. And so when you kind of come frock.
Speaker 1: Also in that part of the country, I'm just really chauvinistic. Well I can change for a fact, I've lived in New York, I've lived all this country. It gets really chauvinistic in that northeast part of the country, especially at Jersey area, it does.
Speaker 3: So they walked off the job, and I later found myself trying to tar a hole in the roof by myself, right and I fell through the roof, and in that moment I realized that I needed some help. I called my mentor at the time, who referred him oh guy, okay, And when he pulled up, I'm like, what are you doing here? You're a DJ.
Speaker 1: That's funny, that's funny.
Speaker 2: That's the rocky rooftop.
Speaker 1: Baby, right right right, right, right right right, I'm a.
Speaker 3: Moving walk all over this rooftop baby R word. I didn't know he was. I didn't know he was really also a businessman and he was a contractor. And you know that that DJing was a facet of what he did, but it wasn't all that all of who he was. And we kind of fell in love over that renovation. You saved my life.
Speaker 1: You save a shoe for show. You saved a shoe for show, for sure. You got that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: The interesting thing about and that I shouldn't even say interesting, is that, you know, I tell everybody and when I look at television now, television is so fun for a person of color to me now, because I see us on television on those stories, I see us some commercials, inter racial commercials all it's all kinds of things that really make you feel comfortable when you turn on the TV and make you comfortable when you walk in the street. Okay, I guess we're cool now in a way because you can see me banking, me dating, me, having my Santa Claus is black, all that good stuff. And so our president was black yeahely so not vice president is black, So you know, becomes a little normal. We know it's not all normal. But then watching the show and seeing you, guys, what do you think is the most magical thing about you as a couple on TV talking to people, encouraging them making life decisions and then showing them that this is the best opportunity to move their life forward, sometimes as a couple and sometimes as a family.
Speaker 3: I think that for us, we have these conversations often, right because as a black family, you know, on national television where you're not just talking to an African American audience. You know, questions come up even in advisory if you know what I mean, You're you're an advisor as well. With Sean, you know, an advisory it's you know, what do we need to change? Anything to appeal to the masses. And I think for us, the blessing in this entire experience is no one has asked us to change a thing Like I was on the Today Show in Dreadlocks. You know what I mean. I there, Goddess lock, But no Monday when I think about it, like Monday, I shot a commercial, a commercial for the International Excuse me, I'm sorry. I shot a commercial for the Intercontinental Exchange for Ice stock market, and no one asked me to tone down anything like no attitude, no blackness, no nothing on our show. That's very much who we are and our network HGTV loves it.
Speaker 5: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to the money Making Conversations master Class, hosted I Rashan MacDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Speaker 3: Yeah like we want, we want y'all just as you are. I think that that is a blessing in it and just this whole experience our show, the idea that you know, we are black family successful. You know, we have beautiful children, who are sweet, who are educated. We're together. We you know, we're married. We don't have a broken home, which is what people stereotypically expect. We don't fight. There's no drama or gossip out there about us and you know, cheating and all this. Non people kind of expect that when they see African American families on TV that there's going to come a whole bag of tricks with it. And the blessing in this experience, not only that we get to do it together, is that there's no drama, and so we're showing we can do it too. We are doing it too. We've always been here. Thank god, you're just noticing it.
Speaker 1: Hey, Mike, I want to say this shed. She tries to set you up a couple of times, you know, when she comes in the room ask you just look baby, how does this look?
Speaker 2: Baby?
Speaker 1: And then she references, oh, you trying to say something about my wig. I said, oh, no, you trying to set my boy up.
Speaker 3: No, Mike, come on, byke, try to set you up.
Speaker 4: So, but to feedback over that as well as and answer your question with the magic part, I think the magic in it is that we are really doing the work right, don't step in and then say cut okay, somebody else come and do this. Yes, you be a couple, not just a black couple, a couple that is universally appealing to the masses.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: It's positive.
Speaker 4: It's full of family, it's full of education, it's full of.
Speaker 2: Information, right to where you can say.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm used to this. This sounds familiar, This looks familiar.
Speaker 2: I'm tuning in.
Speaker 3: But I think what's what it's good too, is you also see a little bit of our mess. You know, you can tell me drive my husband crazy.
Speaker 4: To see Egypt.
Speaker 3: What you ain't gonna do with my boy?
Speaker 2: Mike?
Speaker 1: He my boy, now my boy. Like I said, I just showed y'all two examples when you trying to set them up. You know what I'm saying, you know, talking about you, baby, I think I'm eating too much. Now, I think I've eaten too much?
Speaker 5: Baby?
Speaker 3: What you think?
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm not answering that question on TV. No, you ain't doing me like that, honey. You know, that's the fun part of what I'm talking about, this relationship, because that's what I do it my life, you know, because but it's captured on film organically, and I'm gonna be real about it.
Speaker 3: It ain't even by race now, it's about.
Speaker 1: Joining a couple. And that gives me information because I watch these shows. These are the type of shows that will be running where you're the car dealership, sitting there waiting on your car, these type of call these type of shows that are running when you're waiting in the hospital lobby, these type of shows that are just running. They're so comfortable because they're so informative. And that's the part of it that I love, because I love that part where you know you. You walk them through the house, you know you, and that's the part where you know if people know what they're talking about when you because people people really you know you're about to they about to give their life to you. And in some of these houses that you're walking in, you can't be so forceful that you feel like this is it a yaut But that walks through that whole part of creating that organic relationship. Mike as a builder, because she's the face of the she's the dreamer, but you have to put it together and then she comes in and she a change on you. Well, I didn't want it like that. I mean, like, come on, Ben, don't do Mike like that on film. Don't do it like that on film.
Speaker 3: But he laughs at all.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 3: I loved I loved it.
Speaker 1: I loved it when the floor was gold and the other floor was brown. On the floor was just you go, oh baby, where I got you? I got you? And she walked with, Okay, I'll be back walking walking walking into I'm gonna just tell you a couple of thing that really messed him up.
Speaker 3: She on the construction site, y'all.
Speaker 1: She walking there with heels on, open.
Speaker 3: Toes, open toes, open toes here because Mike said, remember Mike, my day, I might be with my real estate clients. I still need to look professional. They don't understand me coming in and work though.
Speaker 4: In the car talking to talk to me, Mike, talk to me.
Speaker 3: Mike said, you step on the nail.
Speaker 5: You just step on the nail.
Speaker 4: Shohn.
Speaker 3: I thought, I thought me and you were a friend. Now you're taking hitside.
Speaker 1: Because you know the thing about it is that you know in these shows, because you know, like I said, I I love the fact that the potential of who y'all are to me. I'm comfortable. I want to watch.
Speaker 2: I want to learn.
Speaker 1: I want to say, can I get that? Can I get them to do that to my house?
Speaker 2: That's what I know.
Speaker 1: It's special because I'm going like, because you know, I've done a lot of remodeling. You know how people come going so how they pulling that off and it looks so beautiful. But again, like I was saying, Mike, you are the builder. You know, she comes up.
Speaker 3: With these pricings.
Speaker 1: Well, we can only do it for one hundred thousand.
Speaker 5: We can all do it.
Speaker 1: And they don't know that the gas meters sitting over there where the window gonna be, you know what I'm saying. Don't know that though, you know, but she's gonna tell everybody we're gonna put a window there. You got to come in and go, hey baby, it's a gas metering there. Oh oh, we'll take care, honey, I love you, smooches.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: She'll give them the division, your sir, and then I will uh you know, softly bring it back down to reality, make them feel comfortable, allow them to trust me, you know, one with smart decisions, showing them how we can get there if for some reason they can't afford how we can get there doing for less, but by doing different options, right. I think it's all about listening and letting them speak and let him be heard, allowing them to let you know exactly what they want, and then you coming in and making it feel relatable.
Speaker 3: You know, Sean, what I love about this man and why this works is because he lets me be me. He knows that you're right. I'm a dreamer, I'm a visionary. I'm going to show everything in its purest potential, and he'll let me live that out right, and then he'll humbly bring everybody back down to earth in everything that he does. He even I get carsick, you know, so I have to drive, and that's when when anybody's driving. Even if someone says a car with a driver for me, I'm like, I don't know if I want I want to drive because I get really carsick. You know, a lot of man Raseean wouldn't be comfortable with their wife behind the wheel, if you know what I mean. So on for seventeen and a half years, he'll sit in the passenger seat and let me drive and be okay with that, you know, And he's still the lead. He still leaves our family.
Speaker 2: Even though I got my foot on that second break.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely, absolutely absolutely worried about that seven year itch. You know what I'm saying, that seven year itch. You know what I'm saying. But you know, the beauty of our if we go through the episodes, you don't do this show alone. You have three wonderful children. They're girls, They're a part of the show. Andre's part of the show. Like say, y'all was part of the show. Talk about the overall casting and the need to organically, you know, introduce your family. And like I said, I've almost told the first two episodes, so more people are going to be introduced. What was the whole theory behind the introduction? Are you trying to just let everybody know this is us? Or what was the whole background behind that whole process.
Speaker 3: I think people had to kind of get to know us first, right, who Egypt is, who Mike is, who we are as a couple, who we are as a family with our children. But really for our businesses to work, we could never do alone. We got a whole army behind us, and we want people to embrace them as well, normally with normalcy. So you know, we kind of got to ease him in. Let you, let you learn everybody. So Andre is a designer friend of mine. He's super talented. He's done some of the biggest design houses in Atlanta and all over the country. But but really, when everything's off and we let our hair down, he's one of my best friends. So he's the person that I call if I'm like, I can't figure out this room. I need some input, right And when I'm I'm doing my my child's room, it's like I want, I need second eyes. But Mike can't stand it.
Speaker 4: Whenever my phone is dinging from my bank notifications.
Speaker 3: Andre has very high elite taste. You know, I do everything kind of on a budget on my own. But when he comes in, the price triples. So Mike's I love you, but you gotta go bro.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, but let's let's talk about the price and all that, because you know this is we're not telling about this series. But that's that's that's what the experience comes in. That's when to walk into a property and give an estimate of what it's going to take to get there. And Mike, I'm gonna go to you as a builder, as a person who really is the nuts and boats of renovation. How does that process work for you that you trust your natural instincts or do you have a roller dex? Did you just go you fall back on to be able to make sure that you hit that number.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well a lot of relationships for one, with subs, with a lot of big box stores, with a lot of friends, you know, So those relationships, I keep those in mind as I'm going through properties. But in this day and age where wood and materials are fluctuating in price and sometimes overpriced, I have to get creative, you know, where we go to refurbished properties or refurbished warehouses and use materials or I use things that I may have in my warehouse you know. Yeah, we actually did that on so many episodes, where we reuse things, repurpose them right.
Speaker 2: And make them look updated. You know.
Speaker 4: It's not always about let's let's demolish this and make a great scene. It's about let's do the smart decisions that's going to make sense so we can hit that target.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we're shot. Sometimes we got to give the bad news, you know, and the bad news is this is your budget, but we just can't do it for that budget because the reality is stuffs out to stop. You know, it may costs forty percent more than what it would have cost last year or six six months ago. That's when I let him give the bad news.
Speaker 4: So material not really have materials went up, but the price of laborers went up as well. Right, So people are extremely shocked by pricing. So some of some of my clients that booked our company, they are now calling and getting sideswiped. You know, Sotory at.
Speaker 1: This moment, Well, we're talking to Egypt Shirod she's the queen, and Mike Jackson he's the king, and you're married to real estate is an exciting show. It's a show. The reason I say it's exciting because they're refreshing, they're entertaining. I want to invite them into my home. You will invite them into your home. You know, No, Egypt Hurrah, she is the experts, she's the queen. I've already respect her my long This is just not being based on my long time relationship. When I mentioned her name in my house, my wife knew immediately who she was, and that was to be a testament that my wife respects you and wants to be excited about this. Venture for you guys. More importantly, I just see a couple of stars of TV that's gonna like take over the game. And I'm gonna tell you something. I'm humble when I say that because I'm blessed that I can say that. I couldn't say this five years ago. That's how times have changed. You guys are landing at the right time on TV. It's nothing on that show that I was not disappointed in. I was it was funny, it was organic, it was natural. I felt like it was a couple just happens to have a camera following them around on a on a rebuild. That's all I saw.
Speaker 3: That means a lot coming from Seawan. We know you know talent. We know that you you know you've helped mold talent as well. And I actually remember a conversation. I don't know if you remember it, but I'm gonna take you down memory lane just a little bit before we go. I was working at WBLS in New York City and I said with Sean, I got to keep this on the down low, but I'm thinking about making the move to Atlanta, right and I know that you're in Atlanta. What do you think is that a good move for me. And you said, come on, come over here to my office, which by the way, happened to be like a little production clot at that moment, that moment, and you sat me down and you said, listen, this is the deal. Atlanta is for big dogs. Everybody's a star in Atlanta. Everybody's got something going on in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: You got some.
Speaker 3: Incredible young black entrepreneurs there. And so if you're coming Atlanta, you got to have your stuff together. So you get your game plan first and then you work you plan. I don't know if you if you remember this conversation, but it sticks out to me because moving here from New York after cementing myself as a radio personality there for many years, was a big, bold move and it was you know, it took a lot of you know, it took a lot of guts, and you know, for us to just say we're gonna take a chance and bet on ourselves and rebuild in an entirely different city where we didn't know anybody, and it was Egypt.
Speaker 1: And I had several great conversations because you know, she followed us Steve Harvey, now, you know, and so we was always talking about radies. I always talked about women, always talking about but one thing I did like about us she always had multiple streams of income. Yeah, see right there, she was my friend because that's important in today's society to be able to wake up and realize you have options. And when I sat down, I remember that conversation because it's funny Egypt. I get that a lot from people said, well S, you remember when you told me this, And I have an honest side of me that I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 2: Look, you need to stay up here.
Speaker 3: This is it.
Speaker 1: But I knew that she had a sense of a gift to be able to do more. But if you go down there, know what you're walking into because it's going to happen. And guess what, everything's time right. It is the new Hollywood.
Speaker 4: You know, the.
Speaker 1: Pricing is right. Y'all have a great show. I'm comfortable now. I just got to get y'all come by my house and remodel my backroing over there, so we don't talk about that all fan, you know, just come there. I'm just making sure y'all do Hey, I'm just making sure you don't end zoom. You know, you know, you know you're in these calls and then you go bye bye. I said, oh oh, they say, ain't gonna give me his numble?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, No, no, no, no, but again.
Speaker 1: Watch this show Married to Real Estate Stars of Egypt, Charad my Man, Mike Jackson.
Speaker 6: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Master Class. Money Making Conversations Master Class with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com.
Speaker 3: And always remember to lead with your gifts