Speaker 1: Hey, this is Anny and Samantha.
Speaker 2: Welcome to stuff I never told you protection iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: And welcome to another Monday, Minnie. And uh, you know what, we're doing something a little late. A lot of the times, we're pretty much on point.
Speaker 1: This time, we're about a.
Speaker 3: Week behind, honestly, and we're talking specifically about the solar eclipse. So if y'all were able to see it, cool with at a funeral, So I missed the chunk of it, but I did get to see like the trees, and my niece whom I got to see, had her glasses to let me look. It was really funny though, because I forget what the glasses are supposed to do and I'm like, I can't see anything. That was the reaction the entire time, and I was like, oh, there it is when I finally searched that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My friend was like that too. She's like, they're not working and I was like, no, they're working, so she can't direct. Someone showed me where it go.
Speaker 3: But yeah, So because of that, I thought it would be fun if we looked at some superstitions that are associated with it, as well as if we have had previous episodes about superstitions and people using it, believing it, and or making fun of it being very gender Interestingly enough, there's a lot more conversations we've had about it with cults. We've talked about it with Christianity like that. It goes a long way and a little bit about that type of belief system, and I think a lot of it has been used to manipulate people. I know there's a lot of conversations recently on TikTok because of a major influencer who kind of went extreme, and people are calling it spiritual psychosis or also known as mystic psychosis. But that's a whole different conversation, very sad conversation on that one specifically, but which I find fascinating because I definitely got caught up in that spiritual realm of what the spirit was telling me to do, and now that I look back on and I was like, wow, interesting, But that's not what we're talking about today. We're actually talking about the superstitions and or tales I guess of what different cultures talk about with the solar eclipse, And for those of us in the United States, the next one, just in case you're wondering, should be happening in twenty forty four. Yay, exactly twenty years away. I guess that's that's about right. I don't know how all this works. You had no solar systems, things, planets traveling. Okay, that's what I got, So keep that in mind for the next twenty years. So if we're still doing podcasts or whatever next form it is, if I haven't retired by that, I'm very sad.
Speaker 1: I want you to know this.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's a fault, right right anyway, so many creatures are blamed for the cause of the solar eclipse for different cultures, including wolves, dogs, dragons, and even frogs.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating.
Speaker 3: According to the site timeandates dot com, here are some stories from different cultures of what is happening with the solar eclips Also, go ahead and put this out there. I'm really trying with the pronunciations, just because we're trying to go through it pretty quickly. I apologize if I mispronunciate something, Please let me know how to do it correctly, and we'll come back and I we'll just do a whole episode of correcting myself. So of all the words that I can't say.
Speaker 2: Do just mispronounce pronunciation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, shut it any except for you don't tell me what to.
Speaker 4: Do, okay, Sorry anyway.
Speaker 3: So, the Pomo, an indigenous group of people who live in the northwestern United States, tell a story of a bear who starts to fight with the sun and takes a bite out of it. So, in fact, the Pomo name for the solar eclips is the Sun got bit by a bear. After taking a bite of the Sun and resolving their conflict, the bear, as the story goes, went on to meet the Moon and take a bite out of the Moon as well, causing a lunar eclipse. The story may have been their way of explaining why a solar eclipse happens around two weeks before or after a lunar eclipse.
Speaker 1: So I like that one take it up by that.
Speaker 3: The moon in Korea is believed a pack of fire dogs was ordered by a keen to steal the Sun and the Moon, according to the National Folk Museum of Korea, which I did go back to look up and it's not there. So, but when the dogs captured the Sun, it was too hot for them to hold, and when the dogs captured the moon, it was too cold.
Speaker 1: For them to hold.
Speaker 3: So it's believed that an eclipse occurs when the dogs are biting the Sun and the moon. There's a lot of biting happening of these of these.
Speaker 1: Sun and Moon. Sorry.
Speaker 3: According to Inuit folklore, the sun goddess Melina walked away after a fight with the moon god a Ningen. A solar eclipse happened when a Ningen managed to hitch up with his sister at that point.
Speaker 1: So there's that. I like that one, butter than the biding. All the creatures are fun though, and.
Speaker 3: With all of these different allures, there are different superstitions that have evolved around it. According to one Latin more quote, there's a belief that babies could be born with facial defects due to change in the atmosphere. The superstition is that pregnant women should stay inside and take precautions because the Sun's magnetic filled could suck or eat away the lip area of the fetus. Pregnant women are told where red undergarments or red ribbons and place safety pins or some type of metal on their bellies to protect themselves, and in some cultures, pregnant women are told to lie flat on the floor and not move during the eclipse, or keep something metallic like scissors underneath a bed or pillow. And I saw that on TikTok too. Was funny because I was looking up the superstition first and then it popped up because you know, we're being spied on. But it showed up as a non Latina pregnant women being told you have to do this, so their Latina friends would put a red red arm around them and then a ring.
Speaker 1: I saw a lot of people in rings.
Speaker 3: I thought that was really specific to protect the baby. It's kind of one of those things I guess they did say, is like safe safe than sorry, I might as well do it. I think that's a way of some superstitions myself that I'm like, might as well not tempted, so, you know, knock on wood type of thing, which is absurd in itself, but you know, and apparently this the ruse of the superstition goes all the way back to the Aztec culture, who quit believe that an eclipse was a bite on the face of the moon. So that same conversation againt a lot of biting, a lot of biting.
Speaker 2: I can see it. It's like a kind of devouring almos.
Speaker 3: I could see that, I guess instead of just covering over. But okay, right, And then they're many other cultures who see the solar eclips as rebirth. So the Wabanaki Nation located in Maine, they celebrate this time as a renewal. That from mainpublic dot org quote for us, it's really celebrating renewal and rebirth and planting our energies. We did some things that we didn't advertise, So they had a festival just within our own community and had a sacred fire, and we have sacred pipes that we take out that we do things with really to pray and to give things and all of that. We're doing that separate from their own community festival. So a lot of them had different activities going on to.
Speaker 1: Celebrate the solar eclipse as rebirth.
Speaker 3: And I've seen that in a conversation throughout different Native TikTok influencers talking about how this was the beginning, It's like restarting. I also saw conversations about like if you get sick after the eclipse, that that's your body restarting itself. It's like that's a good thing. It's like getting it's all the bad energy, and I was like, uh, well, that's not good for me. I was suppressed. Is that count of sickness? And there are many from the native communities again who see it all as a rebirth, and different beliefs and religions see it as a spiritual time as well. So Buddhists believe specifically that this energy is of a positive and negative actions is multiplied during major astronomical events such as the solar eclipse, so something specifically from the Mahayana tradition. Both lunar and solar eclips are auspicious days for spiritual practices. Once pokesperson said it represents the positive karmic results of good intentions and actions, and it's generated on lunar eclips is multiplied by seven hundred thousand and on a solar eclipse by one hundred million. And some of the recommended spiritual activities on these days include chanting mantras and sutras, which I didn't do. That probably would have been a good idea. Some Christians believe that it is a sign of the end times, which is not too surprised and often is a representation of the three hours of darkness that happened during Jesus's crucifixion, and of course the number three is a holy marker. So I'm church leaders dot com and this is the quote from this specifically website supported by numerous prominent evangelical pastors, said that the darkness depicted the Three Gospels quote represents a profound spiritual transition. The temporary obscuring of the sun juxtaposed within the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus offers a powerful metaphor for the transient nature of despair and the eternal promise of salvation and rebirth. So obviously that's that whole level of renewal. Jesus died on the cross for your sins, and now after three hours of darkness, whoo, sun came out. Except we only had like thirty seconds of kind of shady darkness. I guess the other areas had actual darkness. Those who were not in that area, we didn't get that. So maybe it doesn't remembers the same things. I don't know, but yeah, I thought it was really interesting to look at those types of tales and supernatual because it is such a big marker, and now that we have a little more science behind it, we understand what's going on a little better or accept it as being told by scientists. Thank you scientists, as where old school thought really brought out a lot of more mysticism and conversations along those lines. I do believe like atmosphere changes, whether it's based on SIUs or not, with like things like this, whether it's yeah, darkness or you seeing the clips through the leaves which is really really cool through trees. I didn't believe my partner and he kept saying that. I was like nah, nah, and then I was like, okay, fine, you're right anyway. But like having these types of stories and conversations is also talking about a lot about what we've talked about previously with heritage and passing down stories and why it's important to have these types of conversations and these stories passed along. Even though things have changed and we know a little more, it's still important to know this because it does bring a lot of historical context to what we knew back then of how things worked. And I think it's important to see and it doesn't isn't surprising, like how different cultures saw it differently, whether it was a hex or bad omen versus renewal rebirth is really interesting to have that conversation about times like that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I will say people are still talking about it, including elected officials here in the US saying some things. And I was like, oh wow, okay, we'll see what's going.
Speaker 1: On in twenty forty four.
Speaker 3: I guess. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, listeners, if you did anything cool for the eclipse, we have to ask Christina. Christina I believe.
Speaker 1: Traveled for she actually traveled for, which I didn't realize. Yes, let us know.
Speaker 2: You can write to us at steph da Moomstuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast our, on Instagram and TikTok at stuff. Whenever told you we have a tea public store, which I realized last night when I couldn't sleep. I've never explained that this is a place where you can get merchandise of all kinds.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: You did not know.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: We have a book if you want to get that, that's available wherever you get your books. Thanks as always to our super producer Christina, our executive pducer Maya, and our contributor Joey. Thank you, and thanks to you for listening. Steffan never told You is the pbroduction by heart Radio. For more podcasts from My heart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio app, Apple podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.