Speaker 1: When my kid was five years old from Memphis, back when one of them was five. If they wrote a letter to Santa Claus and put a stamp on it, does it just get to.
Speaker 2: You, guys? Somehow does the Post office honor that tradition? How does it work? That's how it works, no kidding.
Speaker 3: It works if it says a guy in the big red suit. If it says North Pole, you know it's that Christmas season. If we could be that way all year long, wouldn't it be wonderful? I mean, everybody along the way will add an address, will add PO Box one, Santa Claus, Indiana. This past season we called from Thanksgiving to Christmas over twenty three thousand letters.
Speaker 1: We'll see three thousand letters that have to be answered.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and some years it's thirty thousand.
Speaker 1: Welcome to an army of normal folks. I'm Bill Cortney. I'm a normal guy. I'm a husband, I'm a father, I'm an entrepreneur, and I've been a football coach an inner city Memphis. And the last part unintentionally led to an oscar for the film about our team. It's called Undefeated. Guys, I believe our country's problems will never be solved by a bunch of fancy people in nice suits talking big words that nobody understands on CNN and Fox, but rather by an army of normal folks us just you and me deciding hey, I can help. That's what Pat Cook, the voice we just heard, has done. Pat is the chief Elf, believe it or not, of Santa Claus, Indiana, a town that somehow got that name and somehow gets tens of thousands of letters addressed to Santa Claus every single year, and Pat and her army of elves have carried on a legacy of responding to each of those letters every Christmas. I cannot wait for you to meet Pat. Right after these brief messages from our general sponsors, today's episode is really going to be fun. It is after having conversations about some really deep subject matter with addiction and unwed mothers and tattoo removal and a lot of heavy, heavy stuff we've talked about over the last few weeks.
Speaker 2: I'm really looking forward to our chat today.
Speaker 1: We're talking with miss Pat Cook from Santa Claus, Indiana hat store. He goes way back and it's really interesting and Pat, I just want to thank you so much for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm glad to be here. Love to talk to people, love to talk about the town. Really, I'm so in love with the town and with the wonderful people who bring joy to so many kids.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, my first exposure to Santa Claus, Indiana is just a street sign.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: I think there's an exit somewhere in Indiana, there's an exit on the Interstate that there's a sign that says Santa Claus, Indiana.
Speaker 2: If I'm not right, isn't that right? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I was driving down the Interstate going to sell lumber up in Elkhart, Indiana, on the way from Memphis on my first trip up there twenty something years ago, and I remember passing that sign, and of course I giggled to myself, like anybody, my giggles, who would name a town in Santa Claus, Indiana?
Speaker 2: And you know, it just it was kind of a warm chuckle. And to be speaking with you.
Speaker 1: Now, So first of all, tell me about you, Tell me about when you're born, and tell me about you know, how you got to Santa Claus, and just give me a little background on the pat world.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was born Patricia Anna in a little German town called Maria Hilf, which means Mary Help. Very Roman Catholic part of the world, very German. Was born August fourteenth, nineteen thirty one.
Speaker 2: Nineteen thirty one, you're at least forty.
Speaker 3: Now, I am, yes, a little bit over.
Speaker 2: Nineteen thirty one.
Speaker 1: Pat, you put the year out there, that's I'm sixty nine, seventy nine, how old?
Speaker 2: That's ninety I need three or so.
Speaker 3: I'm ninety two and a half.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is amazing. And I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 1: You know, an army of normal folks is audio only, so people don't get to see you.
Speaker 2: But Pat, you are handling ninety three like a champ. You look great. You don't look ninety three. I don't know what ninety three is supposed to look like, but that's not it.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right. I don't know either. I don't know how I'm supposed to look or at so I just knew me. No, I'm very fortunate. My mother was a beautiful, lovely woman who lived to be ninety eight, had beautiful white hair. Grew up there and to the Benedictine's sisters from Ferdinand Indiana, who have a great beautiful monastery there only about fifteen miles away where the teachers in the grade school grades one to eight. So grades one to four we're in one room. In grades five to eight we're in another room. And we got an absolutely wonderful education. We learned to read, write and spell, we learned to pray, We learned and learned to spinging, singing German and Latin. And I'm very grateful, grateful for that wonderful education. How to write cursive, imagine that. And then I went to Dale High School, which was also about ten miles away, and it was actually just a it was not a Catholic high school. I met some other people from other religions and other walks of life, small Towndale, great basketball team. Loved high school, loved every bit of it. Cheerleader on the student council, all that stuff, got involved, had bunches of meetings, had a lot of fun. Loved my high school years. My mother and father they sort of let I only had one brother and he was three years older than me, so he graduated from high school and joined the navy and left home. My dad had It's hard for me to tell this whole story. But my dad, dad had been in the navy for fourteen years and had left the navy early because he had had that he and my mother had had my brother, and he went back to Mura Hill and saw the beauty of a small town and decided to leave the navy and come back to Mariah Hill. And that's what he did in nineteen thirty So I was born. Then the year later he had had a roadhouse in Chicago during Prohibition. Wonderful, great stories they told about getting their beer cakes at night, in the dark of night with men with guns, and well, I had a childhood of being in My father built the first tavern that they built, called the Diamond Tavern. I have pictures of myself in front of that. I don't know if that burned or I don't know if he if they just demolished it or what. But then he built the chateau because he had been in France during World War One and he loved the chateaus. It was a beautiful brick structure. It looked like a chateau. So I grew up in a bar, pool room, and dance hall, and that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: I bet it was a lot of fun. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: I learned to play pool at a very young age. My mother took me to tap dancing lessons. I learned tap dance, so in the dance part of the room of the chateau, I would dance, so people would throw quarters and nickels at me. So I was an entrepreneur from the very beginning. And of course I lived through World War Two. I was born in thirty one, so you're talking forty one, forty seven, and forty six. Saw the soldiers coming home, sitting at the bar having a beer and then seeing a flag in the window meaning a gold star mother, and we lost a lot of young men, a lot of young men. So I grew up during that. But that was my high school days. So except for being aware of rationing gas, rushing sugar, rationing coffee, we had. My father then went to work in Evansville as a shipyard supervisor because in Evansville, Indiana, they made the LSTs on the Ohio River. You know what the LSTs were?
Speaker 2: First? They were?
Speaker 3: What my first question.
Speaker 2: To you LST. I don't tell me.
Speaker 1: I really want to guess LST were I No, I don't know it doesn't sound like an overly large boat, so maybe recon boats.
Speaker 3: LST stands for landing ships tanks really, and they were very large. They were made so that they had a huge There is one still in Evansville that's on display in his history Oracle LST. And my father accompanied them to New Orleans and handed them over to the navy.
Speaker 1: Are they the boats with the with the big thing that flops down so the troops get in them, they go to an assaulted beach, the front flops down and everybody runs off the front office.
Speaker 3: They were at Normandy. They were at Normandy. They were at Evil Regima.
Speaker 1: Yes, everybody that's watched the World War two movie has seen those. And your father overseed the manufacturing, oversaw the manufacture.
Speaker 2: Of those, and my mother Christen, no kidding, that is wow?
Speaker 3: What is Yes? So the war came and Dad was in Evansville, and so my brother, my mother and I were running the chateau and we had to close. I think it was ten o'clock. It had to be dark, I know that. But so I spent more time in the after school, I'd be in the chateau and it was an interesting, interesting way to start your life. Then I went to Dale High School, and somehow or other, the sisters had put into my being a love for education, a love for learning. I love to read, I love to spell, I love to do English. Didn't like math very much, but so I really wanted an education after high school. Now that I was a girl, you know, in nineteen forty eight, I graduated from high school at the age of sixteen. Because three of us either did grades two and three at one year, or we skipped. We don't know. The other girl has passed away. The other boy is a priest in a nursing home and he doesn't know either. But we were all three good readers, good spellers. I don't think we learned much math. But anyway, I graduated of sixteen, and I thought I want to go to college. My mom and dad had both had six grade educations, really weren't very interested in that. So I worked for a year to be a little older to be able to apply to a nursing school. And I tell this story to young women and boys too. But for some strange reason, first I went into the principal's office and said I'd like to go to college because four boys in our class had gone to college. No girls, are you? They went to Nana University and I said I'd like to go to college, and my wonderful principal, who was a good man, said to me, why would a girl want to go to college. That was the end of my quest for college. And I really didn't think I had a chance, but I wanted an education. So I went to Dale, got on the greyhound bus by myself, which I have no idea how I did that, went to Evansville, Indiana where the Sister Daughters of Charity. I don't know, Bill, if you know, they're the ones with the big wings, with the find.
Speaker 2: The big hats, big hats.
Speaker 3: They were in charge of that hospital. And I wrote myself to nursing school. That was my beginning to I guess my life.
Speaker 1: And now a few messages from our general sponsors. But first, if an army of normal folks has impacted you or inspired you to take action, I really want to hear about it. Write me anytime at Bill at normalfolks dot us and I'll respond.
Speaker 2: I want to hear about it. We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: The first year of nurses training made a lot of friends, had a lot of fun, Big town of Evansville, INDWNA, which is on the Ohio River, boating out to Duck Island, doing a lot of fun stuff, but love nursing. The beginning of the second year of nurses training, a very charismatic priest named Father I knew his name, I forgot it. In a big, long black cassock with a belt of leather and sandals came in to give a retreat and talk to us about our religion and about you know, being Catholic and that sort of thing. And he was so wonderful. He talked about serving and giving and not thinking of south but thinking of others. And I was hooked. And so I went home and told my mom and dad that I wanted to be a sister, and I wanted to be the kind of sister that ran that hospital because they were fun. They weren't boring, they were fun, They laughed, they joked, they were very professional, they were very smart, they were very educated. And that's what I wanted to be. And so I had to wait a year till I was almost eighteen, got into the Daughters of Charity and was sent to Saint Louis to what they called the postulancy, and that was three months and then a year in seminary at the mother House, beautiful, beautiful building. A year of almost complete silence. We talked only at recreation, which was twice a day. Big change from this girl that was having a lot of fun is training, dating and doing all the things young women do. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was peaceful. I felt like I was becoming someone I wasn't before. So at the end of that year and three months, almost a year and a half, I received the habit, which was the big hat and the beautiful blue outfit, and was sent to a hotel, New House of God in New Orleans to complete my RN and then was spential Loyola University part time to get a bachelor's degree. So I spent about five years in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Loved it.
Speaker 3: Wonderful town, you know, the people loved the sisters. They had been in that hospital. They had Charity Hospital, which was a very poor hospital that took in very poor people, and I did my pediatric experience there. Psychiatric hospital also belonged to them, so it was just a wonderful experience. But then I had a wonderful the Daughter's to Charity, the head of the hospital was called the Sister Servant. I think that's an amazing title. Servant. You know, she was the servant of the hospital, the servant of the sisters, the servant of the patients. And she was such a role model to me. I just admired her. She was once again, smart, fair, tough, absolutely knew her business, knew how to. She said to me one time something I never forgot. I'm not running a person at popularity contest, I'm running a hospital. And she did that. And so at some point after the five years there, I got word that I was to go to Saint Louis University to get a bachelor's degree in nursing full time. Did that full time. Love that, loved it, loved going to school, loved stayed at the mother House where there was prayer and beautiful chapel. After that mission, which was mean, I was sent to Chicago, Saint Joseph's Hospital in Chicago, whole different world, whole different world. I was still, you know, eighteen, know I was older that I was twenty by that time. And that hospital, the Sister Servant was not like the one had been in New Orleans. We worked so very hard, moving beds empty and garbage, doing laundry. There wasn't as much time for fun, if that's the right word. In New Orleans, Sister Carlo said, let us go out into Carter and buy somebody to look at Christmas lights. We went out to lake concentrating and jumped in the water. Things that gave us courage again to keep on going. But that wasn't the case in Chicago. And one night I got a call from somebody, and I know not who. I can't remember that like it happened that my father had had a heart attack at the American Legion, which he founded because he was a veteran in Santa Claus. Santa Claus American Legion, and they said my father had had a heart attack and they had brought him home. My mother was ill, my brother was in the navy, and I was never The Daughters of Charity were never allowed to come back home after they entered the Order. It was a rule that Saint Vincent Paul made because he went home to his father and mother one time and then he hesitated to go back to his parish, so he said, you will not return home ever. So I was not ever supposed to go home but I said, I've been taking care of all these people in New Orleans and in Chicago, and I should be able to take care of my mother and father. They were alone. My mother wasn't well, and so I did that. I left probably one of the hardest things I ever did in my life. Really, it was just very difficult. I loved the daughters, I loved nursing. It was a great life.
Speaker 1: It is amazing to me that from sixteen to twenty you have more life than some people too, back in their thirties.
Speaker 3: Came home on the train from Saint Louis to Washington, Indiana. It was February and it was sewing like crazy. I was wearing a It was I think Squad Valley. You remember Squad Valley Olympics, right skiing yep. And I had on a cap because we had practically no hair under all of that.
Speaker 2: Had to go.
Speaker 3: Find some clothes, didn't have clothes, didn't know what size of war, didn't know anything, didn't know about a hamburger, didn't know much. But got on that train and my mother said, I can't come get you, and Dad come catch you. So we're going to send Bill. Bill was built Cook Koch his family had a business in Evansville, and his father had come to Santa Claus, Indiana after he retired with a heart attack, to find out that there's nothing in Santa Claus, Indiana for children. And he had nine children, and he was a very good grandpa, dad, wonderful man, very smart. Cook family is very smart. And so he went to Santa Claus, Indiana and said, I have to do something. There's to be something here for children. So he built a very small theme park called Santa claus Land, and it was built for small children. At that time, his son, Bill had been in the Navy, graduated from the Naval Academy, come back home, started to get into the family business in Evansville, decided it wasn't for him and asked his father if he could come to Santa Claus and take over that little park. And his father told me that he didn't think it would make anything. It was just going to be a little kiddy park. And so he came there in forty seven. I'm pretty sure because grandpa started the park in forty six. And so the man that my mother sent to pick me up at the train station was that Bill.
Speaker 1: Cook, who's who ends up being my husband. So you grow up. Your father's a World War two, a World War one vat. Then he's building the boats that we used to go to Normandy and he would GiMA, you want to learn and go to college.
Speaker 2: You end up coming a nun.
Speaker 1: Then you leave being a nun to take care of your ailing parents, and you end up in lo and behold Santa Claus and end up marrying the guy that picks you up to take you to your parents' house.
Speaker 2: What a crazy story.
Speaker 3: So let's we were married forty years. He was sixteen years older than me, and well, Natalie sitting here, they're very smart. So my kids are really smart because I'm married a smart man.
Speaker 1: But I think they have a pretty smart mob too.
Speaker 3: It was a great marriage because if you can't tell, I'm the people person. He was the engineer, graduate, Naval Academy, numbers guy, planner, dreamer. I was the down to earth let's get this work done. We were a great team.
Speaker 2: That's an awesome story. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: So you're in Santa Claus, and Santa Claus the city who names the town Santa Claus.
Speaker 2: How did that happen?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I started in a museum, so in the museum you have to come see us. There is the document eighteen fifty six. There was a postmaster in Fulda, and he decided that this little town that my grandmother called Santa Fe, Grandma Apollonia always called the town center Fee. Now I thought it was she was wrong that in my day we didn't correct our grandparents. So she was right. It was Santa Fe. And we have a plat map of the town of Santa Fe. Very rural, but it was laid out in streets. It had creamery, a school, a doctor and in residence, and it was a very small town. So the guy from full to the postmaster thought they need a post office, and he applied to Washington City, it says up at the top of the document for a post office, and gave the description, and whoever looked at that said, choose another name than Santa Fe. I don't know if they weren't very smart, or if they didn't see the two ease, or what happened. But there was already a post office called Santa Fe in Indiana, so someone who I can't find out wrote Santa Claus at the bottom of black ink. Were no computers, so it's just it said Santa Claus, and that somebody marked through that, and somebody wrote seed lick or sad lick over here that was crossed through, and then somebody wrote Santa Close with an eat, which is not correct. But the magic of that whole thing is that the postmaster who asks for that town to get a post office called Santa Claus was named Nicolaus Fisher.
Speaker 2: You've got to be kidnaped like Saint Nick. Yep, it's all that is.
Speaker 1: That is iriny of iriny. And so all this happened in the mid eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 3: Yes, eighteen fifty six, right, Natalik again unbelievable.
Speaker 1: So now because of the United States Postal Service, this little town in Indiana, Santa Fee becomes Santa Claus so they can get a post office.
Speaker 2: But later when your dad's their letters start arriving.
Speaker 3: We are told that letters were arriving in nineteen fourteen, but we can't find any document about that. But we do have a history of the line of postmasters, and we do have the original post office building, which was a log building, and I have that moved on the grounds of the museum. It is there, very small log covered over now the logs covered over. But it was a very small building with a fireplace and no bathroom, so I'm sure there was an outhouse, probably a spring, I don't know, but that's how they lived. So yes, then Dad when he came home in thirty and built the Diamond Tavern and then the chateau. You know, he was very interested in the town and he would go visit the postmaster at that time Martin James Martin. A lot of people from that area were from Alsis, Lorraine, which was sometimes under the fringe, sometimes under the German, so they were actually Marten, but it got changed to Martin in the United States. And my dad saw how many letters they were getting that were from children to the town of Santa Claus, and with his love for now didn't put in the peace of why my dad really got interested in helping kids and being Santa Claus. When he was in the Navy and he was nineteen years old, he was on a ship called the USS New York in Brooklyn Navy Yard and they decided to have a Christmas party for children, they called them disadvantaged children, and they were preparing for the party and somebody in command said, we need a Santa Claus. What will we do? Somebody else said, there's a guy down in the engine room that says he's from Santa Claus, Indiana. Why don't we ask him? That was my dad.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious, isn't it.
Speaker 3: And I have the picture of him on board ship in the worst outfit you ever in the life, the worst beard you've ever seen, this artificial beer. But the kids all around him just so excited and so happy. And he told me, and it's in literature that he made a vow to God that if he lived through the war, he would be Santa Claus.
Speaker 2: And ends up living in Santa Claus.
Speaker 3: In Maria Hill, but spent most of his time in Santa Claus. And that's when he saw the postmaster being inundated with letters and said, I have to do something to help these. This postmaster is so busy, he can't do all of this. So he started picking up letters and putting him in his car, taking around to schools, to the sisters of Ferdinand. There's an abbey at Saint Minrid Typing class Adale High School. Whoever could answer letters? God letters, you know, it just became his passion. And then he just started being Santa Claus more and more and more and being more involved in that with going to lead. He was a big legionaire. So he would go to legions for Christmas parties and wait. He was in parades in New York, Miami. He just flew in a helicopter to in Annapolis, Hotoy, and I'll be sho. He became famous. Really, he was on so many programs. But he was such a veteran. He was such a caring person, He was such a a he loved kids, and he was Santa Claus then from nineteen thirty one until nineteen eighty four when he passed away fifty three years.
Speaker 1: Things are so much different today and handedly I've raised for kids, and it seems like with more and more TV, more and more social media, and more and more exposure kids expectations and wishes and dreams are vastly different today when I was only a kid, and I'm sure I was vastly different than two generations before me.
Speaker 2: Do you have a sense of what a kid's.
Speaker 1: Letter back in the nineteen thirties and forties to Santa Claus, what they asked for?
Speaker 3: Yes, my father saved them. I have them at the museum.
Speaker 1: Amazing, What did they say? Give me a couple of examples of your favorite.
Speaker 3: Almost tell you. This letter comes from Catherine, and Catherine says that she's writing for her brothers and sisters. She asks for gloves for John Mitten's first I can't name the children, but it was gloves, underwear. Mitten sucks shoes. And then she says, mama's fat, but she doesn't want anything. And then she names all the children and they were like twelve, eleven, ten, nine, eight, and she says, and the others are dead.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And she says, I'm writing this for them, and so if you could bring them something, I would be so happy. And that letter is in a book that I have co authored that's Letters to Santa from nineteen thirty on. They're written on all kinds of paper. They're all like that, asking just for the things they need, food, clothing. And then it actually when you see the letters, it's almost history because you can see how it changed eventually. Now it's computers.
Speaker 1: Well, And I wonder when you think about that context and people today that say they're broke or they're or they really have they really are losing sight of what people only a couple of generations back really suffered.
Speaker 2: In our country.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I think some people today are suffering like that because they don't have the means that they would like to have. My grandmother who stayed with when we my moment Dad would be at the chateau, she spoke German and she would walk out in the garden with third night in the nineteen forties and she would say, as he's new molchendo. That translates not well to it is no longer nice here. So Grandma, who at that time probably was in her sixties, thought it wasn't nice in the forties. And I think that's that's culture, or that's just the way it is. Things changed, and I don't like that much change. I know that, he said. Yesterday, No, last night, I was at a book club and this woman said children have no respect these days. And I stopped and I said, there are some children who don't have respect. But two weeks ago, I was at the local high school, lucky to be there when the sophomore girls from the two high schools in our county, South Spencer and North Spencer came together in a wonderful program called Aspire, and it was done by the Chamber of Commerce and some other organizations that they would bring in professional women to talk to these young women in sophomore classes in our high schools to give them an idea of what they could do, that they can do things, that they can get an education. And those young peop this was a whole high school gym full of young women. We're so respectful. So they listened, they took part, and they moved around from table to table to talk to a doctor, to a chiropractor, to a hairdresser, to a mother, to a chef, all these different people so they'd get an idea of what they might want to be. While I talked to some children, there was one who wants to join the FBI, there was one who wants to be an engineer. There's one who wanted to be a mother. And those young people, there are still those young people in the world, and we just hear about the bad ones.
Speaker 2: I love that perspective.
Speaker 1: And that concludes part one of my conversation with Pat Cook, and you don't want to miss part two that's now available to listen to as the Chief Elf will warm your heart even more. Together, guys, we can change the country, but it starts with you. I'll see in part two