Speaker 1: It's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 1: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 3: Planning a wedding can be a pretty stressful thing to do. That's why Brook let her husband planned most of theirs. Brook just chose out the pies and that was it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know the only thing that has been cared about is that we got pizza delivered at eleven o'clock at night.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, wow, you were involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did it all.
Speaker 1: Good for you, Brook.
Speaker 3: Most women don't get that intense and to their weddings, and one couple hasn't really even gotten to that stage of the planning yet, but already the groom is anxious and it has nothing to do with their actual wedding event, but it's a situation that's bad and awkward enough where he has to have a difficult conversation with his bride to be. So he's turning to us for a little bit of help. Let's welcome Travis to the show. Travis, how you doing?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, good morning, doing well? Thanks for having me going.
Speaker 4: God, I feel like if you're turning to us, like on a scale of one to ten of how scared you are of your fiance, it's going to be high.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, this is a tough one.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's going on.
Speaker 5: Basically, my girlfriend and I we got engaged three months ago.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, now be called your fiance if you're engaged.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it sound so good?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's awesome, congratulations.
Speaker 5: Thank you. So, I mean, we've been just really excited and we're kind of getting into the whole wedding planning thing, and we've been founding all of our family and friend However, there is a bit of an issue and I'm not sure how to go about it, and it has to do with like the last names.
Speaker 2: What do you mean, who's last names?
Speaker 5: Well, so I know that like typically the women takes the man's last name, right.
Speaker 2: It's kind of old fashion these days.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well you took your husband's last name broke.
Speaker 3: Oh no, you took my Okay, that's kind of an easy swap since you had the same lesson.
Speaker 2: The same last name. We're not cousins.
Speaker 4: You can't say that because people actually believe, I'm sorry, because we make.
Speaker 3: Fun of at least that's what she wants everybody. So traditionally women take the man's last name. Why is that a problem?
Speaker 5: Well, it's a problem you guys, because I hate my last name.
Speaker 4: Oh, are you thinking about taking her last name?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I would love to take her last name.
Speaker 1: Great, that's awesome, she's gonna like love that. Why do you hate your last name though? What's wrong with your now?
Speaker 5: Just because like growing up, it was just like super awkward in school, people always made fun of me for it.
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Interesting, Well you have to tell us now?
Speaker 1: Can we know what your last name is?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's Hubbard?
Speaker 1: What like puberty fun of his name? He's self conscious about it. It's funny and you know it. Did we get it right? How do you spell it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? It's p U b b E r t y.
Speaker 2: Wow. She probably doesn't want it either.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean it's interesting that they haven't had a conversation about it when it's such an easy name to make fun of.
Speaker 7: Right, But that's probably why she hasn't brought it up.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's probably in your day.
Speaker 2: I feel like i'd bring it up all the time.
Speaker 1: You discussed this at all with your fiance.
Speaker 5: Yet so I haven't yet. But you know, my last name is Palmer.
Speaker 1: H Yeah, sorry, I mean it's way different. That's more classic tradition.
Speaker 4: It may not be the fiance that has the issue. It may be your family that has the issue.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't think of it, Like, who.
Speaker 2: Are you worried about telling this to?
Speaker 5: Basically, I'm just worried about telling Jane and Jane's family family is very traditional.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. So I would think that you'd be worried about your family.
Speaker 5: Yeah, more so hers, because you know, they're just very traditional. And I don't want to have that awkward conversation. I was like, Oh, well, it's always happened where you know the wife takes the man's name.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I'm.
Speaker 4: Sure you're thinking of like kids and stuff too, like you don't want to put your kids through what you had to go through.
Speaker 2: I think they don't want.
Speaker 5: To, right, I mean, I still haved we can tell.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I don't think you sound bad at all. I think you sound like a stand up. Don't laugh at him, but he sounds like a great guy.
Speaker 4: He does sound like a great guy, but he sounds like he still has a lot of trauma from what the bullying that he endured because of his last name.
Speaker 1: I'm not picking up trauma vibes off of you at all.
Speaker 7: I still think you embraced him. Now name is Bologna, something called Jose Bloni my whole life, and I think it's hilarious.
Speaker 1: You just have fun with it.
Speaker 3: It's too late for that, yeah, I mean he doesn't want to perpetuate that name anymore, and that you bet.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, we're not doing it.
Speaker 1: It's his choice.
Speaker 3: Like, if you don't want to keep your last name, that's up to you. But you're worried that your fiance isn't going to be receptive. She wants your life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean she loves me. I love her. It's all good. I got to figure out a way to bring it up, and I'm just really hesitanting.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just think that she's going to be relieved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why would you say that?
Speaker 2: I don't think she wants that last.
Speaker 1: Year with his last name. I think it's great.
Speaker 4: Jeff, we've gone over what's wrong with his day and what he's had to endure because of it.
Speaker 3: I'm considering changing my last name to your last name, But if you want to do it your way, it's up to you. Man, we're going to call your fiance here. Is that what you want to do?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, we're going to call her and try and give you some advice on how to convince her to not take your name when you guys get married.
Speaker 5: Well, and don't forget I would like her last name too.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll see if we can make that happen for you when we do your awkward Tuesday phone call next.
Speaker 1: It's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 1: It's an awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 3: We're in the middle of our awkward Tuesday phone call trying to help out our listener. Try Travis, who is engaged to be married. What a special time.
Speaker 1: In your life before it all goes downhill.
Speaker 3: But he doesn't want to do the traditional thing where the woman takes the man's last name. Why well, he doesn't like his last name because it's p u B b e r t y Puverty, one extra B away from puberty and he's had a lot of issues with that growing up, probably.
Speaker 2: Even getting like new to jobs and stuff. Last name on the back of jerseys.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize I was trying to defend you for a bit there to my co host earlier.
Speaker 2: But but you told our.
Speaker 3: Producer off the air. Look, Jeff doesn't have to defend me so much.
Speaker 1: I don't even like my name.
Speaker 3: So I guess the room has the green light to have fun with it and roast him alive.
Speaker 2: I don't know that that's what he meant either.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that's how I'm taking This isn't going to be his name forever.
Speaker 1: At least he hopes.
Speaker 3: He wants to take his bride's last name, which is Palmer, and he just needs our help to convince her to go along with that idea.
Speaker 1: So, Brooke, what do you have for him? What's your advice?
Speaker 4: Well, you said that your wife is really traditional, but I think that there is one thing that runs deep in women and all women, and that is the need to protect your babies or your future babies. Yeah, right, Like I think that that's how you pitch it to her. You're like, hey, listen, I really want to do something to protect them from going through what I had to go through.
Speaker 1: But if that's true, why did you name your daughter Nora and your son Adler?
Speaker 2: And those are beautiful days, Jeffrey. You don't think they get teas y.
Speaker 4: They don't get teased for that, They get teased for mommy's jobs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Travis, what do you think of that? Bring your future children into the picture.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, thank you. I can definitely work that in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe give her.
Speaker 3: An example of how you would pre bully your future kids.
Speaker 1: But Jose, what do you think he should do?
Speaker 7: Well, we're all focused on the first part, but I think the hardest part of this is actually the second request of taking her family's name. So I just think be prepared for her to not be able to answer that.
Speaker 2: That's a huge ask.
Speaker 3: How do you think of that, Travis? I'm not really sure what the advice is, but be prepared for a bag.
Speaker 2: Okay, you have some other last names on deck, and well that's.
Speaker 3: Our advice for you, Travis. Hopefully you can choose to use it or not use it however you want. This is your call, but we're going to dial your fiance Jane and let you make your awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 1: Okay, good luck, my man. All right, we'll jump in and feel like a little help. Here we go.
Speaker 5: Hello, any babe, how's it going?
Speaker 6: Oh that's so weird.
Speaker 5: I don't know why you didn't pop up?
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's your day, freaking crazy. You know, Abby, that chick that I work with, she is pushing me, pushing me beyond I'm just okay, just pleading.
Speaker 5: How are you good? Good? Yeah, hopefully we can I don't know, go out grab some some Chinese tonight or something.
Speaker 6: Lease and why yeah, absolutely?
Speaker 5: But look, I actually, uh, I had something on my mind and I kind of wanted to talk to you about it.
Speaker 6: Okay, are you okay?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, okay. So I just have been thinking about like the issue of like co ass names, right.
Speaker 6: With our last names.
Speaker 5: So when we get married, were you thinking of taking my last name?
Speaker 6: Well, of course, but I mean, like, you know, that's what you do, That's what you do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, That's what I was worried about.
Speaker 6: I don't understand what the issue I'm looking.
Speaker 5: Forward to taking a name that well, yeah, you know how I told you when we were first dating, like about my childhood, the bullying and everything like from my last name.
Speaker 6: Well yeah, but like we all, like I got teased. I was freaking Jane Doe. That's what kids do. And so so what it's just I love your name.
Speaker 5: But it's poverty. Like I don't want our children to have to go through the same thing that I went through.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think it's a lovely last name. In fact, to me, it sounds like a bit British, like Jane Puverty. You know, it's it's it's elegant, you.
Speaker 5: Know, are you kidding? I mean it's it's one letter away from puberty. Nobody thinks that, I mean, but they do. I lived it. I mean, where's your name? I mean, it's just it's normal. You know, Palmer sounds boring.
Speaker 6: It's just boring.
Speaker 5: Well, I think, listen, I think we should take your last name. If I'm being serious.
Speaker 6: What yeah, Oh no, no, no, no, I no, okay. For one, there's a million Palmers out there. I like the idea of having a unique name.
Speaker 5: I like that your name is basic. That's the whole point. Like it's a name that nobody makes fun of. I mean, I've been made one of my whole life for the way that my name sounds.
Speaker 8: What your whole life like?
Speaker 6: I mean, seriously, when you're talking about what grade school or middle school or something, I mean that that's just and it probably made you stronger, right.
Speaker 5: No, you don't understand. By week, I'm very very stop it. Are you kidding me? It would crush me. I mean we're at the bar doing trivia night and they call our name and some people laugh. It's like I can't stand it. It's traumatized.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, Like, are you really this upset?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean look, I really really really think we should consider your name.
Speaker 6: Well, okay, what if we What if we did like some hypenated thing like palmer pupperty or puberty Palmer, that would be kind of cool.
Speaker 5: That sounds like a perverted cartoon bear, Like.
Speaker 1: That's normal, kids, sounds.
Speaker 3: Like, Hey, Jane, I'm sorry to interrupt your conversation, but we need to let you know that you're on the radio right now with a show called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning, and we.
Speaker 2: Just got to my god, yeah we did. Bubby Palmer is definitely the mascot.
Speaker 6: Wait, I'm on the radio this whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't worry.
Speaker 3: Your fiance called us for help because he wanted to have this conversation with you, but he was worried about how you might react to the name change idea.
Speaker 4: And you are like the sweetest, most encouraging fiance.
Speaker 2: You have a good partner.
Speaker 8: I love him so the last names part of him and that's how I met him. And I don't know it just it just has a nice I like multi syllabic things.
Speaker 1: Wow, what does that mean? But he really likes your name though, that's the issue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I really do. I like your name better better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and object actively. I know you're trying to compromise with like the hyphenation.
Speaker 1: I idea.
Speaker 3: I don't think those names should be near each other poem her Puverty. That's a terrible, terrible No. I think if you really want his name and he wants yours, maybe the best compromise is you guys just swap names at the wedding.
Speaker 2: So you're still Liberty and Palmer, they're just on different people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one has already gone through poverty and the other one has it yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she'll get through it experience. I mean, I think that might be a fair compromise. Are you okay with that idea, Travis?
Speaker 5: I mean yeah, I mean, hey, like, if she's down with the swap, I'm down with the swap.
Speaker 1: Okay, we have Travis's vote of approval. All we need is you to sign off.
Speaker 5: On a James.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm thinking I'm I don't know, idea, like, talk to my parents about it, Like it's not just me, it's their name, and it's fIF the name of our children.
Speaker 3: But it sounds like you're open to the idea if you're willing to bring it.
Speaker 6: I just want him to be happy, and I want to like just have like a I just don't want to freaking complicate our lives.
Speaker 2: Okay, totally, you are so stinking cute.
Speaker 1: You're very understanding.
Speaker 3: You set out with a goal to just like try and help Travis here, who absolutely hated his last name.
Speaker 1: He would he was one of the digit for anything.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe now that this conversation is out in the open, Travis, she can teach you how to lean into being mister Pubbarty, mister and missus Pubbarty.
Speaker 5: Yeah me Pubbarty Palmer walking down the woods looking for Barry.
Speaker 2: You still think it sounds like a bear?
Speaker 1: I would watch that TV honestly.
Speaker 4: Do you think it's a bear that they bring in around sixth grade to teach kids about their bodies?
Speaker 1: Why is he not wearing any paints? It's brooking Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 2: Brooking Jeffrey in the morning.