Speaker 1: So with the movie that we're watching today, it made me think of a question I wanted to ask you that I'm not sure we've ever talked about, because, Okay, when I was a little kid, little little kid, I wanted to be an astronaut. Ooh, so what did you What's the first thing you remember wanting to be when you grew up.
Speaker 2: Geez, that's a tough.
Speaker 1: One, there, will I like I got, I go for the hard hitting questions to start.
Speaker 2: I know, my gosh, I know that I've always wanted to be a mom, but I really wanted to be a geologist when I was like six or seven.
Speaker 3: That was your opinion.
Speaker 1: That's one you don't normally hear little kids saying, is I want to be a geologist?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Well, then you've clearly never had even one conversation with my parents, because my dad loves to talk about that I had. I was really I was a lot more of a tomboy when I was younger, and so I was out on my bike and all over you know where we lived in our neighborhood. In my backyard, we were redoing the backyard, so there was a ton of rocks and my mom would come home and I had picked up all these rocks and I would wash them in my bathroom scene the one I used to get ready and would clog the drain. She would have that. And then I also was also more into animals and kind of just science y type stuffs. To where there was well, I thought, that's really what I thought was a pond. I would I would jump in with my friend Lindsay and we would get the we would pull out tadpoles, and my mom kept going where and that she would come home and in my bath where I bathed would be are filled with these like nasty little creatures there, and they were tadpoles, so I thought I could raise them. That was my things.
Speaker 3: Had to become like your army, your undead army of the knights, No.
Speaker 2: Just to be I got. I thought. I thought they would be frogs. I wanted frogs, and I would climb up trees and I would find like bird ness, like I was into all kinds.
Speaker 3: Of were like a young Steve Irwin, I gets so.
Speaker 2: But rocks was a big thing for me too. I'd find rocks in this pond too and pull them out, and I mean they were gross. What I thought was a pawn ended up being a sewer. Oh okay, yes, this is a sewer under this overpassed by a golf course. It was just right off the golf course, but it was It wasn't like necessarily a really bad sewer, but it was not.
Speaker 3: It was one of the nicer sewers in the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it wasn't. It wasn't gross as I thought, the nice one. Oh.
Speaker 1: I learn so much about you every time I get to ask these questions.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy.
Speaker 2: Thanks for that ass. Well.
Speaker 1: Welcome the Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your PJS, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart, the waves, Tsunamis and the high School's musical.
Speaker 3: I'm WILFORDLL and I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 4: Cedas Lapitas, Sabrina Cedas lapdes Well.
Speaker 1: It is a brand new week here on Magical Rewind, and we're hopping onto the space station or Space Day to analyze the nineteen ninety nine Disney Channel original movie Zenon Girl of the twenty first Century. Yes, we are here, folks, We are officially at Zenon this is one of the most requested ones we've had. This is based on the book of the same title by Marilyn Sadler and Roger Bolan that actually became a series of five books, and much like our beloved fuzz Bucket, I put beloved in quotes in case you don't know me. This was originally conceived to be a television pilot, but instead became one of the most successful franchises the channel had for many, many years. It first aired on January twenty third, nineteen nine, after a delay from what was supposed to be a December nineteen ninety eight air date, but we cannot seem to find the reason why the date was changed, which is strange. And then it was released on home video VHS in September two thousand. So this was the sixth dcom ever released, you know they we've talked about the different iterations that Disney Channel has gone through with their movies, so once it became d com, this is only the sixth one ever done. And the only other one of those six we've talked about so far is Brink Early two of the first six.
Speaker 3: We're getting there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was another one that was a third party studio production, much like Radio Rebel, which we just did, but this time the studio was De Passa Entertainment was in charge. They were still filming in Vancouver and this was the first of a trilogy. It's sequel, Xenon the Zequel Yes Great title was released in two thousand and one, and Xenon Z three followed in two thousand and four. And you can watch Xenon Girl of the Twenty first Century now on Disney Plus. So go check it out or listen when we're done. We're not your parents. We're not going to ground you. You get to make the decision.
Speaker 2: Although some of the comments on Instagram have been asking for us to post what we're coming, because they do, but they want to take it over the weekend. We're definitely going to try to make make adjustments to make sure that you know, okay, so what's next? Because they do it sounds like they are wanting to listen or watch before they listened totally.
Speaker 3: We will make sure that that is adjusted. Now.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling you might have been a Girl of the twenty first Century yourself. Did you had you seen Xenon? Were you a Xenon fan before we watched.
Speaker 2: I had definitely seen zeneon. This was again while I was in the although I was a little bit older, I was, you know, still still a part of it for sure. And it's right around the time where you know, I was auditioning a ton in the Disney Channel. And I loved these movies, not just because I wanted to obviously be in them. I thought the characters were so fun. They looked like they'd be amazing to film. So I was watching every monthly. I even no matter what they were coming out, I was watching every single one. Again, didn't love all of them, but this one, of course, I mean, I cannot wait. That was so fun to rewatch.
Speaker 3: I know, this was definitely cool.
Speaker 1: I also will get We're gonna get into the synopsis, but very briefly the way it was so funny that we started with My Date with the President's Daughter and then Cheetah Girls, because the very opening of this movie seemed like a mashup of both, where it was the girl in a bedroom kind of you knew she was a little different, but you didn't know how she's already speaking with her own language like the cheetah chatter, and then she opens the window and you see Earth like Hallie opened the window and you saw that she was in the White House.
Speaker 3: So it had that same kind of vibe going all the way through.
Speaker 1: But before we take a dive into the recycled bin for clothes, read my flapping lips. Here is our synopsis. Xenon is a thirteen year old girl living on a space station orbiting the Earth in twenty forty nine. When one of her antics goes too far, her parents decide she must be grounded literally when they banish her to Earth, which we'll get into that, they literally throw her off of the space station to live with her aunt Judy. She has trouble blending in, but when she uncovers an evil plan to destroy her family space station, she must work together with her new found friends to thwart the villains. Early thoughts, Sabrina, what did you think of this movie?
Speaker 2: Okay, I have to go back to the opening because I was just my sabritacies. I love this, I love this, I love this. This was so fun. All of the you know, what we've already found out with talking to Stu is the iPad that was not out at that point. I mean, now I know, and I'm you know, unfortunately, this is not a time when I had a chance to have Monroe sit and watch because I have to watch it an additional time besides my two times, right, yeah, to watch it with her because she talks.
Speaker 3: The whole time.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that you know, I kept thinking when Roe wouldn't even think that's weird, we're different or cool. Her normal life already is this, you know, this iPad world, and so already that's how she wakes up in the morning and then you know, seeing the earth, and I just I loved it. I thought, I've reaching that it kept going her her going into you know, we meet everyone so quickly, which I love to do, and there was just so many things that were just ahead of its time right from the beginning, and I it was so fun. I loved all the pops of color, I loved the set. I loved everything right from the beginning.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree.
Speaker 1: I thought it was I I'm really glad we got to talk to Stu first, because too, the whole thing about it being Eloise in the hotel, you could totally see that coming around.
Speaker 2: I did not know what he was talking about at that time, but I did keep thinking about his references.
Speaker 3: I yeah, and it worked.
Speaker 1: So it was fun to kind of see where his mindset was when he was writing it and how he adapted the book and did all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: So I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was great.
Speaker 1: The acting in this movie is top notch. From the adults and from the kids. It's yes, we're going to get into your your friend Raven. But she's just so good at everything. She's so natural.
Speaker 2: She's just the cutest of cue next level, I know. And I loved hearing that. Stu loved working with her, and I mean, you know, not just professionalism, but she's just so good. Kirsten Storms, she was made to be a Disney Channel legend and you can see it in this movie. This was before she was doing a lot on the channel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are rumors that actually the director originally wanted Raven.
Speaker 3: To star as xenon Oh really, but.
Speaker 1: Then something happened and it went to Kirsten Storms, and then they brought her in. So we're talking about Kirsten Storms, who the movie stars as xenon Car and in her first ever lead role, and she commanded the screen.
Speaker 3: She was great.
Speaker 1: We all recognized her as Emily from the classic Johnny Tsunami, a favorite here on the podcast, but she also appeared on that So Raven Seventh Heaven, Days of Our Lives and has been on General Hospital now for twenty years.
Speaker 3: I mean twenty years.
Speaker 1: On the same show. Really impressive, Yes, just amazing. And then we've got the legendary Raven Simone who plays Xenon's bestie Nebula Wade.
Speaker 3: Another movie with the.
Speaker 5: Names that name I know, I'm I put it down. We got to put it on the list incredible names. This was her first ever d com. So you got Kirsten Storms in her first lead role. You've got Raven Simone in her first ever d com.
Speaker 1: You know her basically from birth when she started on The Cosby Show and then she did The Cheetah Girls that so Raven has continued to produce an act and has become a force in Hollywood. Then you've got a very recognizable nineties character actor Stuart Penkin, who plays Commander Plank. The second he walks on screen, everybody recognized him. Yes, he's the man in charge of the space station. He was in movies like Congo, Fatal Attraction, and arachnophobia, and he and I actually did an episode of Batman Beyond together called Meltdown, which is one of the cooler episodes, and we recorded together, and he's a very nice guy. And Gregory Smith plays Xenon's love interest, Greg so good casting. You might recognize him as from Brown on Everwood Dove EPs Dean in the show Rookie Blue or the two thousand Mel Gibson movie The Patriot where he gets shot in the back and killed and it's very, very horrible, And the movie actually filmed at his high school. They shot this movie at his high school, so we used a ton of his friends as extras in the movie, which leaves me to question, have you ever gotten friends to be in stuff that you're doing?
Speaker 2: Oh? Of course, of course. Keeley and I actually did a YouTube show called Well we did two of them. We did March Moms, and we pulled in so many of our friends to friends that are actors, and then of course we would do the mass text messages, Hey, we need a bunch of different people to fill in the background, you know. So while we were doing that, and then again on Bad Sex with Good People, another show we did and brought in some fun friends that were they were willing to do some really fun and kind of outrageous comedy stuff and just had the best time. Being on set with your friends is so fun.
Speaker 1: When I did an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark, and we shot it up in Montreal, and I just graduated from high school and my best friend, who was a year ahead of me, came up to Montreal with me and they made him the featured extra in the opening scene. And he has had essentially a full beard from the time that he was like eight, So even though he shaved, he's sitting next me and I look like this little kid and everyone's like, who's the guy with basically the five o'clock shadow at eight o'clock in the morning sitting behind you. Oh, that's my friend, Matt shout out keeps I love that. So the movie runs ninety seven minutes, which is seven minutes north of the target. It was directed by Kenneth Johnson, who directed the movie Short Circuit Too, Johnny five, and the Shaquille O'Neil's superhero movie Steal.
Speaker 3: He was also this is the coolest thing to me. He was heavily involved in bringing Alien Nation to TV.
Speaker 1: Where it became a bit of a franchise, and Alien Nation was a Fredell family favorite show.
Speaker 2: Found right up the alley of the first I thought it was great.
Speaker 1: And I got to go onto the set when I was on another show back in the day and interview all the actors.
Speaker 3: It was so cool. It was a great show.
Speaker 1: It was written by the original book authors who we mentioned before, and new friend of the podcast, d com Daddy stuck Rieger. Like he said when he was on the show, this is his favorite of the fifteen Disney movies he wrote, and he landed the job by, as we were saying, pitching it as Eloise on a space station, which is completely how it's written.
Speaker 3: Let's get in a little bit to.
Speaker 1: The timeframe of the movie, because this is where things can date themselves. And again I'm going to make a Batman beyond reference because I think it's apt here. So this takes place in twenty forty nine, which is now only twenty five years away from where we are now, and it doesn't seem like we are any closer to living on a space station full time and having school and everything the way that we are than we were in nineteen ninety nine. We're basically the same distance away. And here's here's how I was going to make it about Batman Beyond. So Batman Beyond took place fifty years in the future when we started. But Bruce tim the creator of the show, always says Batman Beyond takes place fifty years from now. Whenever now is so it took place fifty years in the future in ninety nine. It takes place fifty years in the future from now. So it seems to me like as we're moving forward in time, we should be bumping up where Xenon actually is in the future.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: But at the same time, with a lot I mean, you've got holograms in there, You've got iPad looking things. FaceTime, Yeah, FaceTime was not even even still near it, you know.
Speaker 3: No, they predicted a lot of the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the lot of the future is now. Yeah, but there are still that idea of the whole world or you know, cities or counties or whatever being able to live up there together as one.
Speaker 1: We're more than twenty five years away from that, I would think, I would guess. I mean, yeah, there'll be thirty seven different iPhones in those twenty five years thirty seven hundred diffent now, but we won't be on a.
Speaker 3: Space there, and you and I will probably not be there.
Speaker 1: No, except what I'm guessing the premise of the movie is that some people have stayed on Earth while others have boarded the space station, the space stay, as she likes to say, and adapted a new lifestyle. Again, the things we've talked about, the stuff they got right, the FaceTime, the holograms, the tablets. It's also very spot on that everyone depends completely on computers in space, but down on Earth there's still just the one computer lab in the school, Yes.
Speaker 2: Just one.
Speaker 3: Did you have a computer lab? Yes, we did.
Speaker 1: We did not, at least not one that I not one that I know of. We weren't allowed to type our papers. I remember back in the day we had like a Commodore sixty four back in elementary school, and I think it was like the Oregon Trail and stuff like that and run go to ten and then the thing would run and count. But actual like learning how to do computers. No, we didn't do any of that stuff.
Speaker 2: Trail shout out of the Oregon Trail, frustrating you could never get there. I don't think I ever, we just wanted to hunt.
Speaker 3: That was it. You just wanted to shoot the buffaloes. That's all you want.
Speaker 1: Because it was something they did, it was like, yes, now they did something also very interesting, and this is a credit to Stu Krieger, and it just shows how how great the writing is. So when she is kicked off the Space Station and has to move to Earth, they explain that the town that Judy lives in is a throwback town. So they mentioned that l if you go to La, you go to New York, you go to any of these places. They're very modern. But by saying that she lives in a throwback town, they don't have to do any of the modern cars, any of them. They can make it cheaper.
Speaker 4: Right again, Skuler, instead of making it look cheesy with one line, they can go, no, she lives in kind of like an old school throwback town. And then a couple set deck things here or there, and they sell it without having to have flying cars and floating Starbucks and all this kind of stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Did you think at all at some point if they did, the car would look like the new Tesla suv.
Speaker 1: The truck thing that looks like it was drawn by a twelve year old. Somebody on my street just got one and it looks like.
Speaker 3: You just threw something.
Speaker 2: So that's what I think you would have to try to build something like that because this world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you go back to the future too, they just put all these like appliances on regular cars and then pretend they're floating down the street.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But yes, I thought that was great. I thought that it was a great way to do it.
Speaker 1: Now, somebody comes to you tomorrow and says Sabrina big Fan, first time caller, longtime listener, I would love for you to come and live on a space station for a year, and let's make it a modern space station like this one.
Speaker 3: Would you go, would you space station it up? Or would you be like, you know what? Not so much for me. I'll stay in my throwback down for.
Speaker 2: A year, make it.
Speaker 3: Think I could make it five years.
Speaker 2: My family, like my husband and kids can't come.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, everybody gets to come, Yes, everybody gets to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I could probably swing it, okay, because I think about that a lot with you know, friends that have to relocate for their their spouse's job to space, not space, but to somewhere where they don't live. I feel like I can meet new friends, you can get adapt I'm cool to live. I let you know. People think, oh, I could never do a cruise ship. I could. That's one of the things I want to do. I want a cruise around the world for an entire year. I want to be a.
Speaker 3: Awful No, it doesn't, it's amazing. You want to be for a year?
Speaker 2: Yes, I would totally do it.
Speaker 1: I would rather be in a space station as it was slowly decompressing and my eyes were bleeding, than.
Speaker 4: Be on the right cre I've never been a cruise at all. I couldn't just imagine being on a boat for a year.
Speaker 2: You get off anyway, all right, you can get if you're in space, you're stuck. You're probably not going to come back back home. The ship you can get off of the water and onto land and back on within the day. It's not a big that's yeah. I totally think I could, and I would totally sign up for that. I don't think do you know anyone that is looking for space people, I'll do it. Hey, why not?
Speaker 1: The special effects in this movie for nineteen ninety nine were pretty great.
Speaker 2: I thought so too, only there was just one shot of a close up of her and then her seeming almost like too close to the earth.
Speaker 3: When she was oh, when she's floating for the nebulatory.
Speaker 2: Only that was like I was going, oh uh oh uh oh. And there's only really one shot that was like, Okay, we dropped. It didn't look great, but the rest of it actually looked pretty good. When she was floating out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the plane flying down plane, Yeah, the shottle and everything, it all looked pretty good.
Speaker 3: And I got to say, better than kind of pixel perfect, and considering it was nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: Nine, yeah, saying some of these effects I thought kind.
Speaker 3: Of worked more than even like the Descendants and stuff like that, because they seemed on you know, on time and on brand, and it was practical sets mixed in with kind of some of the colors of the nebulation. I thought it all kind of worked.
Speaker 2: I did, too, I really did. I mean, I'd have to watch Descendants back to back with this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we're gonna we well, maybe we'll watch the zequel with the Descendants sequel to back to Okay, that sounds cool, and then Chetah Girls too.
Speaker 3: We'll just do a two month.
Speaker 2: They're putting this much production and they continued in it. Like like I said with Mine, and what I've heard with Descendants is they keep getting better. I'm so excited to see what's gonna happen with this movie because this started off strong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's what you know. I'm calling it right now. We'll have to do sequel month, okay, and we'll just do a bunch of sequels back to back. So I love that.
Speaker 1: When we open up, we meet Xenon in a very cool kind of opening segment. She's a normal teenager late for school Russiana class, but you get to see through where she's running around, who's bumping into that. She's clearly not a normal teenager. She's one floating in space in a massive station that looks like a cheese grade. We also learned that the president is Chelsea Clinton, who they wanted to throw in there.
Speaker 2: Now I wasn't really talked about any ever again that very.
Speaker 1: Beginning, Chelsea Clinton was president of the United States. Now, while racing to school like she's the Star Trek version of Feris Bueller. She has all the same problems as are other main teens in a dcom. She's got issues with the Commander Plank, who's the principal. Essentially, she has to figure out how she's going to win a contest to join the band Microbe, which is her favorite kind of n Sync type band, on stage for their first ever intergalactic concert. But even when she's a normal team, it's done in very kind of surreal surroundings, which I like.
Speaker 3: The space station look great, the sets look great. Yes, it all worked, It really did all work.
Speaker 1: And the so the costume designer was actually Linda Matheson who also worked on Clueless and romy Michell's high school Reunion and Enchanted, So you can see they swung for the fences and it played out.
Speaker 3: Where. So where did Z?
Speaker 1: Where does Xenon rank for you among looks of a film, you know, the special effects, the costumes, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Did it? Was it major or minor?
Speaker 1: For you?
Speaker 2: It crushed major?
Speaker 3: Did it? Really?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I thought again the sets The only thing I felt about the sets, and you know, it didn't necessarily have to be much bigger, but it did seem I could recognize where they were a lot. You know, they didn't have like two when they're on the space station. They didn't have too much to seem to work with when it comes to the hallways of it. Yeah, but knowing that it was two separate things wasn't like too bad. But I loved the costuming of this. I thought everyone looked so cute. Everyone had their cute little accents of stuff. I loved. Well, I don't want to say that.
Speaker 3: One yet because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it was one of the things that I thought was like when it came out, what the heck?
Speaker 3: And oh they explained it and then it made me crack.
Speaker 2: But I really liked did and I was I loved to see where this costume designer came from because those are all all three of those are favorite movies of mine, and.
Speaker 3: They're all super important. With the costume. The wardrobe is very important.
Speaker 2: Yes, and legendary, like people love think about Clueless, Love the outfit Romeo Michelle, When do you think about it? Romeo Michelle Clueles two of the top Halloween costumes of the year. If you're going to go with a girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I think it's true, you know, absolutely.
Speaker 2: It's totally If you're going to do a duo costume, those are two of the first movies you go after. And I think on this one. We got to add Zee onto the list, you and Monroe. I might do it with Monroe because she yes, yeah, sure, I mean we could totally make this happen.
Speaker 3: That would be great.
Speaker 2: That might just have to happen this next year.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of crushing it, Major, let's talk a little bit about the slang, which Stu did an amazing job of incorporating his own language made up in the script. So it was Major, Minor O ring stream inky which means sketchy, or of course the famous Cetas Lapidis, which he completely built out of the universe. Yes, and the you know again, it worked the same way the cheetah chatter worked. None of that would work if the acting wasn't strong, right, But they made it sound like it was modern day slang. This is how we talk. It didn't sound forced, it didn't sound and it was just this is how we talk. I was walking around going to ask Cetus Lapidis after.
Speaker 2: Our last movie when we talked about a word being repeated over and over and over again. That happened to me with Major. I started going, we've got to be on sixty eight now, Major, Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we were talking about a fuzzbucket, fuzzbuget.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We just kept saying fuzzbucket.
Speaker 2: I kept going, oh gosh, that could be well.
Speaker 3: Fuzzbucket was major inky though.
Speaker 2: This one major inky. Yeah, but this one, this was so she was just so cute. She did such a great job.
Speaker 3: She was amazing. We quickly learned that the space station is also getting old.
Speaker 1: They need upgrades and more funding to continue some of their work, which it appears can save millions of lives with things like bone marrow density experiments, which is what Xenon's parents are actually doing with the floating hologram rats. And now the billionaire in charge that are funding, Peter Winman, is coming to check in and they need to impress them, and most importantly, Xenon, who, of course this is the eloise portion, is a little troublemaker who is always getting into shall we say, mischief, needs to be on her best behavior, which should be very easy except she thinks Wyndham and his assistant are up to something nefarious. It's also important to know that these kids on the space station, their ability to have fun is obviously wildly dampened by being in space.
Speaker 3: There's not much to do. I've never been to space, but I know that there's not a ton to do there.
Speaker 1: Yes, lots of open space, very little air, so probably not the coolest place to hang out if you're a kid, at least not for an extended period of time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the idea that the band's coming up Protozoa, who is her you know, her crush, her major crush is coming up and Microbe is going to play. They're all very, very excited.
Speaker 2: I do love that they love their culture of where they're at. Though yes, the idea of going to Earth is the worst thing in the world for them, even though they are stuck on this space station, they they love it.
Speaker 3: It's home.
Speaker 2: They don't have a lot to do, but this is their home and they're proud of it and they love it. I that part I thought was really great. I you know that they weren't kids dying to get out of where they grew up.
Speaker 3: That I loved. And that's the other thing I liked.
Speaker 1: Exactly what you're saying, is what you said about moving where you're like, I'll make new friends. Kids are uberly adaptable, so they adapt to things, like, you know, to pass the time, they sneak out and they go into air ducks, they go to recycle bins, they dive for clothes, they go in a restriction sections. She gets to put herself in a spacesuit and go out to watch a nebula Like they're breaking the rules, but they're kids on a space station, so yeah, it was well written where they're little ways to enjoy themselves on.
Speaker 3: A space station.
Speaker 2: Yes, a little trouble. They're not trying to end the world, but they're causing a little trouble.
Speaker 3: They are fun for little mischief.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, the problem is once she was on that tether outside she sneaks out into space class five solar flare. She gets caught, which is another strike against her, and then the creepy assistant who's super super creepy, she catches this guy trying to break into a class four restricted section in the middle of the night and instantly gets the ick from this guy and knows something's up. So she and her friends, well it's really her, hatch a plan to keep their eyes on this guy to make sure that they're not going to do anything. They've really set it up that if you mess with anything in this restricted section, it can kill everybody on the space stage literally kill everybody else SPA. Yes, so she tries breaking in one night. That's where exactly needs to go, exactly like.
Speaker 3: A normal kid. I shouldn't be there, So that's where I'm going to go.
Speaker 1: This, by the way, is after the Windham guy has pledged and I can again. This is only showing the time of nineteen ninety nine five hundred million dollars, yes, which in future money and space money might as well be thirty five dollars. I think that the Space Shuttle when they built it was like thirty five, like like billions and billions of dollars, so they that was just they should have made it like I'm pledging an extra five hundred billion dollars.
Speaker 3: For space remains.
Speaker 2: Made me think of Austin Powers for what a million dollars million?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, yeah. But she gets caught like it did.
Speaker 1: She gets caught sneaking into the computer system and is then grounded by her parents. The problem, of course, is when you're on a space station, what being grounded means is you are kicked off the space station. Her parents sent her away.
Speaker 7: Incredibly harsh, infredibly harsh, I mean, and it was for an unknown amount of time. It was to bring me back as fast figure out when I can't imagine that is quote unquote cheap to dude back. How many times the space shuttle thing that goes back and forth between Earth even happens.
Speaker 2: But this was under no given amount of time they think give for away. Yes, my heart was crushed for me too.
Speaker 1: I was really, well, they made another Disney trope we've seen a lot of now because we've seen this a couple of times. Is good cool sympathetic dad, kind of focus driven mom who maybe doesn't care about the kid as much as the dad does, or hasn't befriended the kid as much as the dad has.
Speaker 3: But they they send her away. It was so I was like they're giving away their child.
Speaker 1: By the way, that actor who play the assistant Lutz his anenactne Bob Bancroft and man can.
Speaker 3: For everybody.
Speaker 1: He was Frank Man in Parks and rec episodes or from Chicago Hope. But he plays such a good creepy guy.
Speaker 2: I thought both of the villains were great. I didn't understand the eye twitch that she checks into like he had like an which he lies. I thought that was going to go somewhere and kind of be more explained, and it never was. This guy was amazing start to finish.
Speaker 1: He was so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was great. Oh he was awesome. He did a great job. Now did you find it?
Speaker 1: It was strange that it took over a half an hour, took like thirty five minutes of her in space before then she's grounded and sent to Earth, and it's like then they start a whole new movie with a whole new group of friends.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep.
Speaker 3: And I think this goes to this being supposed to be a TV show. Yes, I'm assuming.
Speaker 2: I mean this was. It was definitely going to be this if it was a TV show. You saw how it would make sense. Yeah, every episode to kind of have stuff going on back and forth, and they had to have a full blown cast with her on Earth. Yeah, that's where it was going to take her for a while. Yeah, that's where it's just kind of okay. Now, wait, it wasn't just one love interest in one friend. It was like a whole group of people we had to get to know, and all of their storylines got built a little bit here and there, the jealous girlfriend, you know, all of that stuff, and it was it was a lot. It started to be a lot.
Speaker 3: I agree, you know what, so, yeah, I agree, it.
Speaker 1: May It makes way more sense knowing that it was supposed to be a television show where it made.
Speaker 2: That first part of her being on Earth kind of slow. Yeah, kind of where are we going? Come on, let's pick up what's happening, because.
Speaker 1: The pilot episode is clearly until she gets kicked off the space station. Yeah, until she gets kicked Yeah, she gets kicked off, She lands on Earth, she comes out, falls down the stairs, roll credits, and we'll pick it up the next time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But because it was a movie, they have to introduce this whole new life. Now we're introducing her.
Speaker 2: Essentially on episode two and episode three or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know, absolutely, so we're back on Earth now.
Speaker 1: We introduced all of her new schoolmates, and most of them hate her because of her planetary outer planetary weirdness, except one guy, her love interest, Greg, who just keeps shooting looks at her, these puppy dog looks.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie, Greg, your puppy dog looks for starting to get a little a little creepy for me. What was that word again, a little a little inky, a little inky for me Greg a little.
Speaker 3: It was it a major inky or minor inky At this point, it.
Speaker 2: Was it was minor because he was sweet and wasn't doing anything crazy.
Speaker 1: But you know, so we established their relationship quickly, and it turns out this guy's very into horses, so much so that we spend like ten minutes at a barn and then it never comes up again.
Speaker 2: I think again it goes and maybe it will. I okay, I will say, I've never seen this sequel.
Speaker 3: Well maybe in the zequel. The zequel could be about sources.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe we're gonna get more of the stuff that we didn't get. Feel like we got enough of.
Speaker 1: Okay, that could be, that's my thought. But they're back on the space station. So I wonder if Greg's even in the sequel.
Speaker 3: I can't wait. Yeah, who knows, I can't wait till sequel.
Speaker 2: Mud he bring his horse.
Speaker 3: That seems crazy. It sounds like the start of a joke. So a horse walks into a space station. It does. It's very, very crazy.
Speaker 1: But so through a series of events you find out what happened on the space station was actually they put a virus in the space station, and the key to shutting down the virus was in this little disc that then he drops. Of course, Raven happens to find on the on the ground, makes it into an earring to give to Xenon as a parting gift, and as she lands on Earth, then Lutz actually sees, wow, she's got that disc that I badly need to make the nefarious plan happen, and so on Earth he stops at nothing to get the disc back.
Speaker 3: They ransacked the aunt's house. I mean, it's bad.
Speaker 2: When he comes to the ants house, that was like whoa, yes, oh, LUTs, and you might be going a little too far. Cannot just show up and these poor two kids. Greg tried his hardest to be tough and didn't do anything.
Speaker 3: Greg, they're thirteen.
Speaker 1: It's like, Greg tried, but come on, Greg, get on your horse and help out a little bit buddy.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: I can't do anything. I can't do anything about it. So yes, we again.
Speaker 1: We find out it's a computer virus that's gonna infect the space station and crash it. So it means that Xenon has been right the entire time. She's now got to get back to the space station to save everybody. So she needs her whole group of earth friends to come help her, except of course, for Margie, who we haven't talked about. Margie, who might be one of the most awful bad girls in dcom history.
Speaker 2: She tries to drown her.
Speaker 3: Essentially, Margie is terrible.
Speaker 2: She is a terrible, terrible, jealous little thing. Yeah, my thing is it happened so fast? She catches Greg looking at this new girl. No, she makes a comment about her when she's walking by before she does anything at.
Speaker 3: The restaurant, when she first sees her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, instance, she sees Greg see her, and instantly this girl's gotta go. So I'm gonna try drowning her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: And even when she helps later, it's just to get Xenon back off the planet, just to get him back on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it's like you're gonna leave Greg and his horses to me, my friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, she's just yeah, she's she was bad.
Speaker 1: She was she was a bad, bad one. They did they Disney really outdid themselves on her badness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, super cute girl, though she's a dorrible.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but the second she knocks her in the pool like you've never seen water before, good luck breathing Like wow, harsh oh.
Speaker 3: Man, Can we can we address Zene on s date with Greg?
Speaker 2: Yes, I would love to.
Speaker 4: It's part of my Sabrina seas. I think it's so cute, nice waterfront restaurant. But she eats so much that he shames her for how expenses the date.
Speaker 2: Is going to be, because again he's little. He also says, do you know how many horses I'm gonna have to clean?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: You cannot just order? That's so rude. You cannot just order all of that?
Speaker 3: What do you mean it's a date?
Speaker 2: You should let your date order whatever they want. I mean, what kind of dates were you going on at that age where you were just saying to your the person, you're on a date, Sure, you want a salad? Can I get you four appetizers? Looks like you want to hold buy a pizza? Does that sound great?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Will that's not okay, she's taking advantage of it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh that's great, that's great.
Speaker 1: So while while they're on the date, he could have he could have saved a little bit of the money to help out in the space station, because the five hundred million dollars wasn't going to cut it, and the space station is now starting we keep cutting back and it's starting to slowly shut down system by system. I' llah Passengers with Chris Pratt and what's her name? Where just one system at a time? Is I think Passengers is just a modern version of Xenon. By the way, that's that's my hot take for the day. Okay, So her new friends and her absolutely cheap boyfriend now have to figure out how they can help the space station. So one of her new friends is kind of a computer hacker. Yeah, he helps hack one of her tablets so that she can contact people on the space station at least kind of warn them. And then they figure out that that oh, Mike, wait, that's right, Microbe is going up to the space station with my boy Proda. Yeah, and so I'm going to see if I can hop on the space station. So of course she walks right up to the band and says, can I hop on the space Shuttle? And essentially they say yes because she won the contest to dance with them, so they say, you've got to let her on the space station, even though by this point the entire Windom organization is looking for her with orders to stop her anywhere.
Speaker 3: She crashes the gate. Mm hmm, makes it to the band.
Speaker 1: They throw her on the Space Shuttle, and now Windom and Lutz, hearing that Xenon is on there, jump on the Space Shuttle too, and boom, they're also stuck right on the shovel.
Speaker 2: Yes, but but also you got to go back and talk about the fact that after these five kids run right through a gate that's supposed to be highly secured, good security, then the ant comes in about five minutes later and.
Speaker 3: The same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, one, there's no extra security.
Speaker 3: Maybe get another guy, yeah, right, at.
Speaker 2: Least one more guy. Nor has Windham been even Hey, by the way, that girl you've been talking about that we're looking for, she's here here. No, please don't fire me because I let her go through the gate.
Speaker 1: By the way, I also called Doug and he's gonna come down and help me on guard gate duty because it's just me in a broken gate.
Speaker 3: At this point. That was just not the best.
Speaker 2: Security the worst security guard guys.
Speaker 1: So she finally gets back to the space station. Once she gets there, she's able to after all this time, convince everybody that Wyndham and LUTs are in fact bad guys, and she saves the station by of course, repeatedly punching buttons into a keypad until she hits the right buttons again.
Speaker 3: Great security. You can just keep typing failed.
Speaker 2: Three times and then finally boom.
Speaker 1: Your iPhone shuts down after like four times. Right, but you're but the space station. You can just keep keep going. You can just keep going, no lockdown. It is the computer equivalent of smashing through a gate because Doug is not on guard duty, which is great. All this leads up to finally the bad guys are arrested, and then Micro gets to play at a concert up there in space finally, which is great.
Speaker 2: Epic little performance that any loves love the dad.
Speaker 1: Love to see Protozoa playing up there. She shows how how thankful a friend she is. She gives her dancing prize to her best friend Raven, who gets up there to dance. She kisses Greg goodbye over FaceTime, and then that was just it.
Speaker 3: That was like the end of the movie. There was no real.
Speaker 1: Goodbye with her and Greg, which I'm hoping he's in the zequel. I hope Greg is in the l I do too. Are they still dating? Is this a long distance relationship at this point? Is it that's what I'm h orbit relationship. I think what it is my orbit.
Speaker 2: Major relationship, minor not sure, not sure, We're not sure? Is it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I hope we get it in the zequel.
Speaker 1: If the zequel starts with her on FaceTime with Greg like, hey, hey babe, I'm going to be coming to see you in like a month kind of thing.
Speaker 3: That'd be great, but who knows.
Speaker 4: And then him call her babe, didn't space babe, Hey, space babe, Hey space babe.
Speaker 2: The best.
Speaker 3: Hey, space Babe, I'm gonna see you. I got my horses and I'm gonna come see you on the space stations.
Speaker 2: They're ready to go.
Speaker 3: I think i'd be awesome.
Speaker 2: And so that's it.
Speaker 1: And then of course we end with the song super Nova Girl, after your Zoom Zoom song, which you came in singing today.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's just so good. I honestly was getting ready. I turned on the end I to just hear just getting in my.
Speaker 3: Group, getting in the zoom zoom groop my zen on zoom. Oh that's the best.
Speaker 1: Why don't we start some real reviews. We know what we think and what we've said about this film. Let's see what other people think, Sabrina, what's our one star review for the day?
Speaker 2: I really thought, you know, Jensen was gonna have a hard time finding a one star review on this movie.
Speaker 3: I think, how can you have a problem?
Speaker 6: I not.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know he'd find one, but never has a problem. But you know, I just feel like this movie was so good. So I'm unfortunately, guys, he did find one and it's by Corbyn B We're gonna have to find out if that's Corbyn Blue or not.
Speaker 6: I will.
Speaker 2: Secret hat just kidding. All right, here we go. One star. The worst movie I ever watched. Makes me feel like scooping my eyes out with spoons and burning them in a fire.
Speaker 3: There's no gray area in that review. There's no like well, but I'm open to interpretation. I've got to watch it again kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Listen, I rather that be. If you're gonna have this negative review, stick with it. Don't don't start don't start.
Speaker 3: Wobbling on me and behind it like like a bad gait.
Speaker 2: I know we're probably not supposed to say our opinions, but Corbyn, you could not be more wrong. You hate.
Speaker 1: I am now going to read the five star review by somebody named Hasna, and it's my favorite five star review I've ever read in my life. I'm reading it verbatim. A memorable night. I had a fantastic evening at Xenon in Dubai with my friends. Amazing food and drinks. Thank you for the nice night. Yes, this person left a food review for a place called Xenon that is a restaurant in Dubai, and it is my favorite five.
Speaker 3: Star review I've ever read. It's perfect. We do not make these up people, Producer Jensen finds all these I want to read it again. A memorable night.
Speaker 1: I had a fantastic evening at Xenon and my friends, amazing food and drinks. Thank you for the nice night. I think that says it all about Xenon. Frankly sure, and I'm very happy with our reviews. We are now going to jump into a new game, which we'd like to do every once in a while.
Speaker 3: I love it, and a new game, this one we're calling quote end quote.
Speaker 1: We're going to get three quotes about the movie Xenon Girl of twenty first Century. One of them is real, an actual quote from one of the cast or crew, but the other two are completely made up.
Speaker 3: And we have to figure out which one is real. I have no idea which one's real and which isn't. Okay, I don't think you know which one's real or which which one is I do not.
Speaker 2: I do not.
Speaker 3: So here we go.
Speaker 1: Quote number one. I say, we read them all and then at the end we pick what it is. Yes, okay, So here are real or fake? Number one quote. The shots and the recycling bins were brutal. We'd spend six to eight hours in there just trying to get the lighting right. Then someone figured out that the first AD's dog had been taking poops in there. It smelled like feces and rubber. End quote number two quote. A lot of people think our movie predicted FaceTime, which might be true. But I also think we influence the way people wear vests. Before the first movie, I hardly saw vests. Now all I see are vests. End quote number three quote. There was talk of actually doing a Xenon series and Xenon movies in theaters. Something happened that prevented it. It might have been nine to eleven end quote.
Speaker 2: The only one that I would hope would actually be true on this one is the first one.
Speaker 3: The other one. See the ones are terrible. Yeah, I hope. I hope the first one is true too.
Speaker 2: They don't hope that someone had to shoot in a place where someone's dog was booping a lot.
Speaker 3: But I have a fear that the third one is actually the real one. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: And I would have to roll my eyes if the second one is. Yes, predicting everyone wearing vest sounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we could throw that one away. I don't think it's the best one. I don't think it's the best one.
Speaker 2: Okay, although there were a lot of vests.
Speaker 3: Oh it was great.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was a vest heavy thing.
Speaker 2: It was kind of part of their uniform ish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to say three is the real one? Are you gonna go with one? I'm gonna go with one, all right, So Producer Jensen, which one's real?
Speaker 6: It's the third one? Stuart Plank and who you know, Commander Plank. He said it on a podcast in twenty twenty. He that there were a lot of plans for Zenon, but possibly nine to eleven ruined them.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, there we go. I got it right.
Speaker 6: I was hoping when they talk about the history of nine to eleven it's not talked about how much it affected.
Speaker 1: Dacon's No, no, not usually, usually there were bigger things on the menu than DCM. Just well, thank you producer Jensen for quote end quote. Let's get into Sabrina seas.
Speaker 2: Well, we've already gone through. The biggest thing, you know, I've seen in the very beginning is all of the iPad, the FaceTime, all of that stuff. I just I loved that about this movie. I thought that was so cool. I love that once again, Disney just seems to be able to predict the future. It just feels like that. Yeah. One of the things that I kind of hinted towards was the mom's stress cap that you Oh, man.
Speaker 3: I wish they could the stress cap in the chill room. I would invest in those. Right now.
Speaker 2: I was going, what the hell is she?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: What are they even trying to do? Then they they explain what it is, and I'm all of a sudden finding myself going, oh, I want maybe I need one of those. I want one of those, and now I want one done.
Speaker 3: You almost enter to the chill chamber and always think is like, oh my god, I want.
Speaker 2: To chill the chill chamber when when Rose and Ledger are both just having meltdowns at the same time, where is the chill chamber?
Speaker 3: Chill chamber totally?
Speaker 2: And then the another one was it was so funny. We talked a little bit about it with Greg and his horse that he works at a stable and it's never.
Speaker 3: Talked about his horse, Larry.
Speaker 2: But I also kept finding myself going, has Greg done this little date day date before? He seems really.
Speaker 3: Secret this day date.
Speaker 2: I'm like, are you group player?
Speaker 1: Greg? I do?
Speaker 3: So his friends are like, yo, Greg, you taking it to the barn.
Speaker 2: Again, wondering if Margie's been on this horse and and they've trumped Yeah, and Mark, you know, so I kind of can't. There was just he was just so suave in that whole day that I just started going, oh, maybe we don't might be a player. And then my last one, well, this actually is a little bit before this was this whole you know virus with the disc and he puts it in, takes it out, walks away and loses it so fast he was he was, yeah, two feet from the door and and just drops it and you heard it clink. We heard it clink. Why didn't you hear it what what happened? That's when I went, oh, and then it just seemed like he when he saw it in her ear, even though it was sort of disguised because Nebula has glammed and gemmed and rhinestone did upright? Would you think thought he would have just tried to I mean, I wouldn't want, you know, a grown up to wrestle a kid. But wouldn't you think he would have grabbed and said, let me I need right away? If it was a big deal, like I don't know, blowing up a whole space.
Speaker 1: Station, I think Disney probably wouldn't have been happy with that. But yes, no, I know, but I'm just saying it.
Speaker 2: It was just so easy.
Speaker 3: He was just kind of not the smart villain.
Speaker 2: He had the brightest suits in the in the rack, but wasn't the brightest cran in the box like that.
Speaker 3: That's that's so true.
Speaker 1: He Also I love the fact that the restricted area on the space station only took four digits to get into, like a like an ATM pin code.
Speaker 2: You have six on your iPhone for digits to get into a place. That could just get into.
Speaker 1: The most restricted area. The key, the key to get in was like thirteen fifty nine, that was it, and she had to write it down and then forgot it.
Speaker 2: Forget it anyway, Well we're we should be glad that it wasn't five five five.
Speaker 3: It's what it's password.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all right, that's all I got.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, now's that time to rate the movie. Yes, today we're going to do one out of ten?
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 1: Floating rat holograms, recycled trash clothes, seat us, lapitases, disc earrings. I have horse guys on the list, but I'm gonna make it player horse guys or mistaken dubai zen on restaurants.
Speaker 2: I think we got to do Cetus lapidis. Okay, I think I think Tara will just die if we die.
Speaker 3: I think that she needs us to do it. How many cetuses lapedises do you give this?
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 3: Out of ten ceases lapetises? What do we got?
Speaker 1: One being the worst, ten being the best? How many cetuses lapitises do you give this?
Speaker 2: This is like I said, I've been waiting to rewatch this since we did, since we start arted doing this. I'm giving it a nine. Only nobody come at me, Everybody calm down. Only because I'm expecting there's two movies after this that the sequel, the zequel, and then three and then Z three is probably gonna be even that much better.
Speaker 1: So well, that one's actually shot in space. Disney went all out for that. It's actually the iss, so I'm.
Speaker 7: Going I lost three actors, nine cetases, loopedases.
Speaker 1: Nice you give you give more praise than I do. I thought it was very good, but nines and tens are tough for me. I'm gonna give it a solid eight, though I'm gonna give it eight cetuses lapedises because it deserved it is that it was good, the acting was good, the the premise is great. Obviously, it's a new kind of take on a romp. Watching this movie was so much better for me having spoken to Stu Krieger first.
Speaker 2: Yes, I loved that. I mean, I feel for us. It's harder to because we were talking and he started referencing things with Smarth House, which I've never watched. I've started, so it was tough. So I know we can't do that all the time, as the interview before we watch, but it was such great insight to be able to think about and it made me enjoy touching the movie so much more than I even remember loving it from the beginning.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: So that's it, folks, Thank you so much for taking a very very very quick shuttle ride up to the space day with us for a major awesome film. Frankly that got a number of CTAs is lapedises from us because it was good. So thank you once again for joining us. Our next movie is actually the most current movie we're doing to date. It was only from last year. We're gonna be watching Prompact next.
Speaker 3: I know, I know nothing of this movie. I assume it has something to do with the problem I love.
Speaker 2: PROM so I am already trying to find my throwback pictures to pop up on my Instagram for the prom Oh. I'm so excited, and I'm excited to see because I've kind of transitioned out of scene d coms now, you know, I don't. I'm not on the know with what's happening on the channel all the time, so I'm excited to see where the channel's at with their dcoms. I cannot wait to watch this next one.
Speaker 3: I can't either.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be interesting to go right from one from nineteen ninety nine, which is the sixth one they did to one from last year just to see how much of a change it was.
Speaker 3: So that's it. Thanks everybody for joining us.
Speaker 1: Remember to subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine. And we'll see you next time at prom Bye.