Speaker 1: Hello, Puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, the Wasavi in your Sushi Puzzle Platter. I am your host, A J. Jacobs, and today's guest is the great Erica Okrant linguist, journalist, author, all around brilliant word nerd and I mean that in the most positive way. Welcome Erica.
Speaker 2: Hi, it's great to be here.
Speaker 1: We are delighted to have you. I'm a fan of your books. Your most recent one is called highly Irregular, Why tough through and dow don't rhyme and other oddities of the English language. Is that right? Is that your most recent or did I miss one?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, right, that is the most recent, and yes, so many oddities.
Speaker 1: It is the craziest language. It is nuts. And in short you talk about many reasons, but one of them is it's like it's a frankin language. It's just a cobble together. Is that right? Is that a big reason?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so many different influences in the history and and really lots of languages have that. All languages have history have layers, but English has some particularly disruptive ones. And yeah, usually the answer is history. When you find one of those weird things you can. You can't really explain it logically, but you can explain it, So that's what I try to do.
Speaker 1: There is a reason, not a logical one, but a historical one. And I will tell you the title why tough through and do don't rhyme? I mean, you could have gone on. It could have taken up the whole page because you could have included cough, thought hiccup like some people spell coeough. That's the old way. So yeah, it is just and lesslie confusing.
Speaker 2: It's a mess. I have a lot of sympathy for children trying to learn to spell and anyone trying to learn to spell right.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: The good part is that it is great for puzzles because without the insanity it might be hard to do all of the homonyms and puns and wordplay, which brings us to today's puzzle. This puzzle is based on what you mentioned in your title, which are I rhymes. So these, as you know, are words that look like they should rhyme, but don't like dough and tough. So for instance this puzzle, I'm going to give you a clue and the answer will be a two word phrase that looks like it should rhyme, but does not. So if I said uncooked bread that is hard to chew, it would be tough dough. So not all of them are going to be about your title. But are you ready for or other I rhymes?
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna have to close my eyes to picture these things.
Speaker 1: But okay, let's go good. And if you're listening while driving, please don't do that. But let's go with sixty minute sightseeing trip. What is the two word phrase that does not rhyme?
Speaker 2: Okay, so sixty minutes is an hour. It's not gonna sound like that. So a tour an hour tour exactly?
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 1: And it looks like it should rhyme because they're both, oh you are, but they do not. All right, speaking of evil, that's the way I consider the spelling evil spirit in a yellow citrus fruit.
Speaker 2: Okay, yellow citrus fruit has got to be a lemon, so i'll start with that.
Speaker 1: It doesn't have to be. Aren't there some like citrons and weird ones? But you happen to be right?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well I'm going over the simplest thing and then ah, okay, a demon lemon.
Speaker 1: Demon lemon exactly, or a lemon demon. How about a circular injury.
Speaker 2: A circular injury. Okay, injury is a is a hurt, A round around wound.
Speaker 1: Around wound exactly. How about a beneficial inundation A beneficial I can use big words like that with you because you're a professional leader.
Speaker 2: Beneficial it's very good. Yeah. Wait, what's the second part a benefit inundation? Inundation? Okay? An inundation is a flood, A good flood. I feel like it's coming in at the very last second.
Speaker 1: You're you're doing it. You have me fooled. I thought you had it from the start. Okay. What about a phantom that cannot find its way home? The poor law? Oh I almost said it.
Speaker 2: I kind of said, a phantom is a ghost, yes, and a ghost is that can't find its way a lost a lost ghost exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you didn't hear me say part of the word law, or maybe you did, but actually that you mentioned the word ghost I think in your book because it should be ghost ghost, and it was I believe some sort of Flemish typesetting error. What was the deal behind ghost?
Speaker 2: Why there was never a There's never an h sound in that word. It was never a ghost.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was ghost was the kind of old English source of it. And the typesetters who were from who spoke Flemish, they their word was gheast with a g h as a lot of those kind of Dutch Flemish lineguages use, and they their word for ghost had that in there, and they put it into the English word just out of habit because they were doing the type setting. And that word showed up a lot in texts because it's you know, it's in the Bible and it's the holy ghost and it's got That was some of the things that got printed a lot the earliest, and when you see something in print a lot, you get used to seeing it that way and it's really hard to change it later. So yeah, we're.
Speaker 1: Stuck with that ghost basically a typo that has become legit interesting. All right, let me give you two more. This is a guffaw from your female child, a guffaw from your female child.
Speaker 2: A guffa from a female child, daughter, yes, and laughter, laughter from your daughter.
Speaker 1: Laughter from your daughter, exactly. And that is one of those that gh turning into an F. Just quickly, where did where did the GHF thing? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Well, it drifted in different ways all around the island of Great Britain, and it was being pronounced as pronunciation was moving, people were deciding how to write during that time. It wasn't set yet, and so it got written some ways here some ways. There different pronunciations, the same spellings, and it just ended up that way. And the sounds is kind of similar. They both come from this huh. That's what the gh originally stood for. So huh can become fuh, or it can drop out altogether, and sometimes it gets kept as the f sometimes it's gone. But it all started from that huh.
Speaker 1: So originally it was pronounced like doctor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And if you look at German, it's still that way. In German you can see that sound usually in the you know enough, the daughter totter. It's usually you can see. If there's a g h in English, it's probably got that sound in another Germanic language.
Speaker 1: So well, I think you're very nice and sound alike, because to me, they are totally different. So I blame the people more, all right. Last one, how about an explosive device hidden inside a tool that you use to part your hair? An explosive device hidden inside a tool you might use to part your hair.
Speaker 2: Part your hair with the comb, and and that would be a bomb, a bomb comb. I was looking tomb somehow, which gives you another one.
Speaker 1: There you go, well, well well done, love it as expected. You are a word aficionado. Thank you, Erica. Where can people read more of your work? There's your great book, the most recent one. But you've got other stuff going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got well, highly irregular, and I've got various publications about word things on the web and a YouTube page where we do live drawing of these kinds of questions about English whiteboard videos on my YouTube page, which is just my name, Eric Okrant. So check that out.
Speaker 1: And since this was about pronunciation and spelling, I do have to bring up your name is spelled a r Ika, but I believe it's pronounced more like Erica instead of Aurica. So was that where your parents trying to to get you ready for a life in linguistics?
Speaker 2: I think so. I don't know if it was intentional, but definitely going through life with I have two names that are difficult to spell and pronounce them that I always have to explain, and it's given me acute awareness of spelling and the misleading. This misleading roads that can take you down. So yeah, I guess I guess I can thank them for that.
Speaker 1: Indeed, well, before we wrap up, we have a puzzle for the puzzlers at home, actually two, since they're so short, I'm going to give you two I rhymes. One is actor Connery Levi's, So the Levi's owned by actor whose last name is Connery. And this is what you say if someone misplaces red flowers for Valentine's Day. You will get the answer to those on the next episode. And please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler podcast. Tell your friends, tell your acquaintances and everyone in between, and we will meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly.
Speaker 3: Hey, puzzlers, this is Greg Pliska up from the Puzzle Lab with the extra credit answer from our previous episode. We brought back our favorite krone the Letters, which we played with Adam Felber, and your extra credit clue was a term meaning only partly correct, which turns into a fear of the computer. In two thousand and one. That's the computer in two thousand and one. A space odyssey, and the answer is half right or how fright? Fear of how the computer in that movie, We're not afraid of Howl or any other computers. Here at the Puzzler, we make all our puzzlers by hand. Come play with us again next time.