Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling you can have.
Speaker 2: Because for the first time in your life, you'll make a new.
Speaker 1: Decision that's going to be best for you and not what somebody told you to do, and that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Master Class. I'm your host, Rashan McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success. For you and maybe decide to your HM, it's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living your own. Keep winning.
Speaker 2: Him.
Speaker 1: Rashan McDonald's I host the weekly Money Making Conversation master Class show. The interviews and information that this show provides off for everyone. It's time to stop reading other people's success stories and start living your own. My guess is the twenty twenty four Sports Illustrated Swim Soup rookie She Just Go Cake Sinball is beautiful, as you will see in a minute as the first ever bald Kenyon model for the magazine. Please walk with the Money Making Conversation Master Class. A chin Ogutu how you doing?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: Can I just get out the way you look fantastic?
Speaker 1: Can I just say that I just want to not you know, if you want to hear it all run, Just just go up to the bat and just start swinging.
Speaker 2: You are all run. Thank you very much, Sean.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited to be here today.
Speaker 1: You know the thing about when I what I interview individuals, especially from a glamorous standpoint of the world of beauty or fitness, they're always stereotypes.
Speaker 2: Okay, they come up with that.
Speaker 1: People expect certain people to look a certain way. Now you're bald, beautiful, yes, but do you fit the standard of what people you think people are looking for? And how did you break that barrier?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, I don't think I do. I've gotten a lot of feedback and solicited feedback from people who think, as a woman, it is very unfeminine of me to cut my hair. I'm also a very like, vibrant and vivacious and loud person and people think that all those things are very not woman like. And wow, for me, those are stereotypes that people are imposing on me based off of their insecurities. So how I'm choosing to get over that is that what they're going through has nothing to do with me. I have one life on this earth and if I can live it for myself doing the things I want to do, being the person I know, I truly am, and that's it, and I'm happy.
Speaker 1: Well, you should be happy, because, like I said, you know, first of all, there's that stereotype, stereotype of beauty. Then you come from Kenya, yes, and I'm sure you have to deal with stereotypes that give us some of the stereotypes that you deal with people's perception of what Kenya is, what people do for a living in Kenya, and as you start to make the transition, let's start with the stereotypes of Kenya in general.
Speaker 3: That Kenyans can't speak English. Hey, I think people are always like, you're from Kenya and you speak English. Yes, And I went to international school back home. I'm very well educated my parents my dad is an educator, and so they are shocked that I can one speak English, that I can speak more than one language. And I think that's their limitation of them thinking that, especially Africans don't have the opportunity to be educated. Another one is is where I live. They are like surprised when I post pictures when I'm back home, that like I live in a house and a good house too, and that my dad is driving me around in a car, and that I'm not writing an elephant or like having a petline like these stereotypes, because you know, social social media, the media is that's what they show you, right, They show you a video about how if you send a dollar a day, you can save somebody in Uganda, you know. And so I think it's so hard for them to even comprehend that a woman like me can exist in a space that like this, you know, and that in regardless of my background, that I could still do this.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna tell you, I believe everything you said because i have grown up in the United States and I've seen.
Speaker 2: That dollar a day.
Speaker 1: I've seen where they promote safaris all the time, big game hunting all the time. I've been stereotyped with I gotta say, tars and movies, you know. And these things still dominate, whether you want to say or not, in our media today. But more importantly, a lot of it is just to suppress the intelligence of a race of people. Yes, and I think that's where racism comes in. That's what stereotypes are born out of. But now that you're overhear mister Goto, Well, what have been some of your mentors that have told you keep doing what you're doing, don't worry about it, and we have to worry about What are some of the mentors that will help you?
Speaker 3: As in, somebody who's always been in my circle and Mike Corner since ninety six are my parents, Okay, and they have always wanted the best for me. My parents have sacrificed so much for me to even be in this space. And so for example them, I'm letting me leave Kenya at sixteen to move to the US like they want it better for me. So I would say my parents have like such great, great, great mentors for me. I also have an amazing manager who I'm obsessed with like she is Mi Chris Jenner. She does make things happen and she has been my champion for forever in I think personally in my career. She has went to you to push me and say, like you can do that, you can work with this brand, you can walk into those space and do whatever you need to do. You can talk to that person you can step in this meeting. And so that lady, I just I'm obsessed with her. And my other mentor was my American mother who I stayed with the first time I moved to the US, and she was one of the people that really helped me step out of my shell and be like, it's okay for you to cut your hand and still feel beautiful and sexy and confident. It's okay for you to speak up and say you don't want to eat this, or you don't wanna you don't wanna talk to this person, or you don't want to wear this. And so she has been an amazing support for me as well.
Speaker 1: Well, you can't win without support. And I would tell you this. You know my head is bald because I have no choice.
Speaker 2: Let you do that.
Speaker 1: And your boy, I had the nature, came along mister Gutu and went, okay, brother, either you go look like your hair got problems or you're gonna cut it off and cut it off and like.
Speaker 2: You your head works.
Speaker 1: You know, not everybody can cut their hair off that so many people say that.
Speaker 3: People say, like, you have a good head, and like, I think everybody has a good head, But.
Speaker 2: No don't just stop it right. There is to go to. You have the right face, structure, smile, nose.
Speaker 1: Head if everybody can't do it right because of you know, just God is giving people certain things of value. So now when you start talking about your manager, because I want to go back to that, because sometimes you have to have people see things in you that you don't see. Yeah, like I said, your parents or your ultimate mentors, they allowed you to come over to you in US when you was sixteen. But how did this manage you come into your life? And what was the motivation? Because she's now you're a big motivator on your social media platform. We go talk about that in a minute. Let's talk about somebody who had to motivate you first.
Speaker 3: So she actually came into my life in a season where I was really about to give up. I was about to stop doing social media and go full time in corporate America, which I'm so glad that, you know. I feel like the universe and God had was like, we have something better for you. You better not give up today. And on the day I was about to literally put my pen down and say, you know what, hands up, I'm good, I got an email from her, and she said, introduce herself, and she said, listen, I've been watching you for like a few months now, and you've really motivated me to to, you know, do things in my life that I was afraid to do, and you inspire me and so many women, and I just want to see if we can work together. I kind of just conquered this space together. And I said yeah, I said, okay, people are seeing you. You wanted you seeing me, I was seeing you. And since that day she has whoa like I can't even think this was two years ago. At that point, I was overworked, I was in grad school, I was sad, I was broke. I was just had nothing to like kind of look forward to, even though I was like really enjoying doing social media. And she is the one who brought it to me and said, like, listen, you have something in you that is special that people would love to experience, that you can take far. And so she's the one who continues to be like, I know we are feeling like this, or I know you're exhausted about this, or take time for yourself, but when you're ready, come back and let's get back to business.
Speaker 2: So that's lovely.
Speaker 1: You know, because that's what you're doing now to worldwide on the social media. Now you say you was doing social media. I really to throwing the time this. I'm just trying to whenever I talk to someone like you, who's special, who's now found their brand, found their voice, because that's what you found your voice. Now you're sharing that voice worldwide. What are the trigger points for you when you get up in the morning, and you, because you're in your natural inspirational and I'm gonna just tear you that up front. When I see you, I feel the need to smile, I feel the need to, you know, make sure you're happy. And I think that's important with people like you. So what is the engagement points of motivation when you get up in the morning.
Speaker 3: So I have a pretty strict routine, and so I make sure the morning especially it's for me because I think it's so easy to get sucked into like I'm getting up and I'm going on social and all these things. And so I get up, I try and get in my thirty minute heartgo walk, put on my skin, kichen.
Speaker 2: What is the hot girl walking?
Speaker 1: And I don't let that slid past meetings to go through What is the hot girl walk, Girl walk.
Speaker 3: Everybody needs to rishond. You need to get on your hot go work energy too. I do my skincare and I normally put on like my ie mask and my face my face mask, my sheep mask, and I go and strut around Brooklyn listening to music, kind of just getting my energy up for the day. I love it. It's exciting. I feel great. I'm also doing a little skincare so I can be glowy as soon as I get back home. So my it's thirty minutes of moving my body and also reminding myself, like you know, my body can move like I'm living in this you know temple. I can be outside doing my thing, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and I've just.
Speaker 3: And so that, you know, thirty minutes hard god walk, I'm feeling great. I come back and normally either pray or I call my parents because love the favorite people in the world. Talk to them. They're also my greatest point of like motivation. My dad is the original noordinary no are. He loves the camera. He loves to be buggy and fine, and I feel like I get it from him too, So he's he's always telling me a change, today's your tea today. You can do whatever you want today. You can be amazing both. I'm gonna have a great day after that.
Speaker 4: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass, hosted by Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass continues online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Speaker 2: Here's the funny part. You went into an accent where you start doing your dad.
Speaker 1: You went from this perfect English to this African avert together everything.
Speaker 3: Okay, what did that come from?
Speaker 2: Does her dad really talk like that with that accent?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, oh, change do it. You're gonna be great. Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 3: Those are like two of my really big things that get me motivated. And I always do affirmations as well. My best affirmation is you're safe within yourself, You're loved vibrantly, unconditionally, and you're going places.
Speaker 2: Kids.
Speaker 3: We got things to do, places to go, things to experience.
Speaker 1: Now, two years ago you said what your manager, Well, dad wasn't there. Okay, Yeah, you know that motivation, that person looking your eyes and telling them does she see what you don't see yet? Now you see it now? And your social media? Every reason I could going back to your manager because I always tell people everybody you know, your parents, you know, they're gonna support you.
Speaker 2: They supposed to support you.
Speaker 1: It's the strangers that come in and see you.
Speaker 2: That's what catch you off gard And I think that's wow. What did she say?
Speaker 3: Real?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So now we're going to go to the Sports Illustrated twenty twenty four Swimsuit because all this happened in two years. Miss miss hot Walk, how girl walk? Okay?
Speaker 2: How did that come about? Did you submit?
Speaker 1: Folks?
Speaker 2: You sub miss photo? Did you have interviews? Were you were you doing some things that led up to that moment?
Speaker 1: Because I know people want to know how that experience comes about for anybody, How did they come about for you?
Speaker 3: So Sports Illustrated Swimsuit has an swim search opportunity and they do it every year. And so I said, listen, this year is going to be my year. So I put in a video and I sent it in, sent it in with the grace of God. I say, please, this has to be my portion. It has to be mine because I know I deserve that opportunity and that position and that space. And I sent it in and I thought it was fabulous and gorgeous. And a few months I was actually in Kenya and I get an email in the middle of the night saying, oh, you have been selected for Top twelve as the way top twenty four.
Speaker 1: I said to me, okay, okay, you just sent a video in. Yeah, so you send up making Top twenty four.
Speaker 3: So you send a video talking about yourself, what inspires you, what makes you happy, what makes you wake up in the morning, why you think you'd be a great up, like a great person to be part of the Rookies. So it wasn't just a video of me being cute, which I think can also work, but it was I was talking about my story and what inspires me and why I love SI and why I think it's important to have people.
Speaker 1: So your story, you feel, was a dominant component of you being selected at least in the top twenty four.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, because for me, my biggest thing with my platform and my brand is to make sure that women who look like me and talk like me, and have the same life experiences as me, have a platform and have a space where they can feel seen because we can't just wait for the next Lupitza Yogo to show up, right, we can't wait for the motivation and why we can't wait for the inspiration. So it just has to be you. So why not we? You know? And so I sent in a video about you know, my life and my story and why I think that's important. And I got selectually for top twenty four, then got down to top twelve, and just last summer before I walk the Sports Illustrated swim Suit show in Miami, I got picked as the top seven and got announced as rookie, which is so exciting.
Speaker 2: Wow. You know, you know, I know.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of the things you left out because you know it was a journey. You know, it's not you know, we could say she went from you know, I wrote this beautiful story about me.
Speaker 2: I just sit in there. I'm sending it.
Speaker 1: Ken you get this email up the top twenty four. I'm walking a runway and never realized bad I'm a rookie.
Speaker 2: I'm a rook.
Speaker 1: But that's you know something, when you start telling your story, it is that easy because you decided to make an effort, and a lot of people stop themselves will go to by not making that effort. And that's what I always talk about and this show. I always tell you some of my biggest enemies are ourselves. I always tell people when you look you over said, when you wake up, wake up in the morning, look in the mirror, and that's me. You know, it's not gonna change. I'm not suddenly become white. I'm not suddenly gonna become small. My skin complex is not gonna change. My teeth aren't.
Speaker 2: Getting any whiter. This is me. You have to live in it.
Speaker 1: And I also believe what you are delivering, it's what's going to win. And that's what I come across with you. Your parents gave you the foundation in your manager.
Speaker 2: Was the uplift, the uplift in your life.
Speaker 1: And now as you sit here and we're talking about being twenty twenty four Sports Illustrated Swimsuit rookie, what do you mean? What do you think that means for people in America who see you and most important people back in Kenya.
Speaker 3: I think it shows that literally anyone, anyone can do it. You just have to have that little I just an ounce of belief in yourself can take you so far. I have gotten so much rejection in my life from working, from you know, relationships, through life. And if I did not have that little belief in myself that that rejection was just redirecting me to the sweet spot I needed to be in so I could be the best version of myself, then I wouldn't be sitting here with you, Rashaan, kicking, you know, having fun.
Speaker 2: You know, I got to say this to you because you know, some time.
Speaker 1: We use that word like anybody, you're not anybody. Let me go and just say that, you know, you're not You're not. Don't be realm it, don't be real because of the fact that it's a lot of beautiful people out there. There's a lot of people got that high girl walk okay, but do there? Because I do social media, it's a task to motivate people. It's a task to get up and respond to people who respond to your motivation.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of work to do to be you. You know, let's gon be real. Double a.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you double a okay because of the fact that if you understand that, then you you know, people appreciate you even more. And so when I got out of the opportunity to interview you. I grew up with six sisters, and so six sisters in America African American black women of color, and they've all been told what they can do.
Speaker 2: When I see somebody like you. When you stepped in for.
Speaker 1: The shoot, did you feel surreal or did you feel that you were making a statement of making a difference.
Speaker 2: What were your thoughts at the shoot.
Speaker 3: First of all, it was the best day of my life. It was very much I don't know how to describe this. There's many spaces I've walked in where I feel like an imposter syndrome, like I don't know if I really belong here, But on that day, it was such a dale of confirmation for me that I am exactly where I need to be, doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing around the people, and I'm supposed to be around so I it was insane. It was surreal. First of all, were shooting in a beautiful location.
Speaker 5: My skin was glowing, the music history, the water looked beautiful, and I can't Also, I'll make sure to send you a copy once it comes up, because we gotta celebrate that.
Speaker 2: I'm it better be an autogram.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna if you send me a plain magazine, I'm gonna be so mad that I'm gonna go on social media said I.
Speaker 2: Got the hot girl walk from a Gutu and she didn't even send me no magazine.
Speaker 3: Same on that rookie.
Speaker 2: Your rookie, I'm gonna call you an amateur. It's autographed every theater.
Speaker 3: But it was a very special day and honestly a confirmation for a lot of hard work that I put into my career and what I do every day. So it was amazing. That's all you need to know.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me so, let me just talk about my perception. It's gonna be personality driven. Absolutely, it's gonna be motivating. I gotta sell the people because then you can't tell. But I gotta tell from a guy who's been there, working with a fantastic talent.
Speaker 2: And an interview. This is what you're gonna get.
Speaker 1: First of all, you're gonna get, Yes, First of all, gonna get that double a. I called her hot girl walk all day, loan out all day loan Shes gonna be motivated.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's gonna be uplifted.
Speaker 1: More importantly, honest, Yes, very very honest. Yes, Because you're going to tell us because you've been there for us. You've been there, and I think that's what's important. I think that's what is accelerating your success right now because you I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: Nothing you've told me in this interview feels contrived. Nothing feels fake, even when I teach you by going into your father's accent, you know, because that's the honest side of you.
Speaker 2: And and you go through these things.
Speaker 1: And are you gonna get into potential clothing lines or anything like that, any speaking tours or any acting I know this show is here, but it's just another stepping stone or what that fantastic manage you have is delivering for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think I want to give my audiences experiences. I don't think having a tangible product will do a lot for my audience at this point. Like you know, get a cute outfit. You can get a cute for outfit anywhere, you know what I mean. But I want, I have. We have toyed with this for so long, and I think like a retreat or a confidence tour is something that I'm looking up or looking into and something that I think would be fun and exciting and would actually make a difference in people's lives. So definitely that's what I'm thinking about that I'm gonna be doing way more speaking engagements this year. So whoever is watching, I might be in your city at some point. It coming keiky and hang out with me. But I think for me, this is the year of the Superstar. Yes, absolutely, for me, this is the year of the Superstar, and I'm just ready to take it to the moon.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know first of all, and thank you for coming to my shelle asolutely. Thank you for blessing me.
Speaker 2: With having it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: You know, I get up at four thirty in the morning, so these days can get long, and I do a lot of these interviews and I've been laughing. I've been joking to Rob and asking you court, this doesn't even feel life work.
Speaker 2: This another job.
Speaker 1: I love it, and I think that's the fun part of what you're gonna bring to the table. And my whole goal in life is to help build your brain.
Speaker 2: You don't know me.
Speaker 1: I'm a family member, and I okay. Down in Atlanta, you said you know somebody. Yeah, I know Rashan mcdull. Oh you can let them know that that's my boy. You can put that's my boy tied to it because I'm gonna take care of my bout Rashaun McDonald lived down there. Okay, cool, because when you come down here, I'm gonna take care of you your but more important, thank you for taking care of me because I now owe you a faith for coming on Money Making Conversations Master Class.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you so much. I had such a great time. Can't wait to see your hard go work videos, your approbation videos.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, you know we we go go viral. We're gonna go Vira, were gonna go, we go go. To make sure I got to is the shoulders run.
Speaker 3: It's the shoulders and out in the shoulders shot.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I really appreciate you for coming on my show.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 4: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations Master Class. Money Making Conversations Master Class with rough Shan McDonald is produced by thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight to fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts.