Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha and welcome to stuff. I never told you a productive iHeart radio. I'm I'm in a giddy mood you all because we are once again in the studio in real life, and we are here with a female first celebration with Eves.
Speaker 2: Welcome Eves in person. Thank you.
Speaker 3: This really feels like a celebration because I don't know when the last time we did this in person was.
Speaker 2: The last celebration. It was after the pandemic. That's where you had the fight with Stuff. They don't want you to know then, even though he didn't know you were having a fight, he didn't know it because he was trying to blank it. He left a passive aggressive post it claim on a studio the fight. Yeah, yeah, we do have a few got a lot of beef. No, we don't even come in like this is a second time we've come in what three years? But yeah, so uh, that was the last time. It was after the pandemic. So we came in and it was slowly right before we moved studios, but we knew what was happening.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I remember Christina came in and I think that was one of the first times I saw Christina in person. Oh yeah, but the last time, which was the twenty fifth episode, I believe we did something like that cheesecake. We're kind of fudging some numbers for apps. Cheesecake and a champagne. And now for this celebration, we have a doughnuts and prosecco, yeah, and a variety of other drinks.
Speaker 2: And now I had a lot of drinks on this table. Yeah, it's a lot of Honestly, I almost had a miss up and it's no surprise because we have a lot of like soda previous drink because we just recorded another episode. And then I brought in the no sponsor poppy, the probiotics sodas because I enjoy them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to clarify for everybody mishap regarding the drinks, I don't want anybody to be concerned about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a chance that we would have been concerned about you, but no, it was almost knocking.
Speaker 2: Over, knocking over with all of the nice equipment which we had to battle for today.
Speaker 1: Yes we have, but battle we did, and UH so thrilled to be celebrating with you.
Speaker 2: We've got Christina made a lovely background for the hearts and stars. I can't take a picture before. We need to take a picture before we leave. We absolutely do you need to take a picture, but first, shall we cheers? Yes? Yes? Uh. I feel like I'm holding the glass wrong, but that's fine. Well, we no judgment here, right, I mean, honestly, it's not even champagne flute. So oh, I guess that's wow. We really dropped the ball. Yeah, I'll try to good paper cups like that. I saw in there, and I was.
Speaker 3: Like, okay, I'm not refined enough to understand why it makes a difference.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I think it does. I don't know it does. I'm not going to go into the the food science person over here. Yeah, don't tell us though we don't even know. I mean to be fair, yeah, bliss of ignorance. Please. It's like a four dollar bottle for a second, I think we're good. Wow, a whole self place. It's okay, but we enjoy it nonetheless, we do.
Speaker 1: While last time you were here, Eves for our previous celebration, we talked about female first and kind of our thoughts around first in general. I remember going into kind of a deeper conversation about like how history is recorded or not recorded. So what were you thinking, how shall we celebrate this fiftieth Perhaps.
Speaker 3: I think one of the things that's different from where we were before, although we were like twenty five and we're.
Speaker 2: In fifty now.
Speaker 3: I think it's a good thing to think about how there are still so many first being created today. You know, so often on the show we talk about people who were already passed away, So I like to keep it that way because you know, people's legacies change in real time when they're alive. But that doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of cool people who are still doing things that are similar to the achievements that a lot of the people in the episodes that we've talked about already. So there have been achievements that we've talked about in aviation, there have been achievements in authorship, Nobel Prizes, all sorts of things, and there are still first happening today. So that is one thing I think we can reflect on and thinking about having fifty people that we've talked about in so many different fields and it's still happening.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. That is one of the things when I look back at all of these episodes eves, because I was just going through some of the people we've covered, and I love the wide range of things that you cover of like here we've got an author, here, we have a musician, here, we have a muralist like aviation, all of that stuff, And a lot of times it's true.
Speaker 2: Both that.
Speaker 1: You're learning something new about someone who maybe their history was erased, but also on top of that, we see so many times that they inspire someone else or something else, and then there are these new things that are still happening. I feel like a lot of times when on our other segments Feminist around the World, we'll come across something and people are doing in the environment, for instance, and it's new. Oh, it's completely new. So I do think that's important to think about. Is history can feel so stagnant first, can feel like how can we not have done this first already? But there is so much, so much more to discover in both the history.
Speaker 2: And the present future. Yes, yeah, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: N Yeah, I think it's it's kind of it can be conflicting to think about first a lot of the time because we know that there is a lot of context around them, but it's still worthy of celebration and I think that it's so easy to get wrapped up in I mean, this is there's so much advancement these days is moving at a super fast clip, and things are happening exponentially. But I think it's worthy of taking a moment to just pause and reflect and think about how because it's often surprising when these first happened in history. It's like this was the first person to do this, and this was only fifty years ago or one hundred years.
Speaker 2: Ago, which wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 3: So I think taking the time to celebrate is a very important thing and something that's also important to think about in today's context because things do move so quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and a lot of times I wonder the people we talk about and people who are doing things now, if you know you're a first or even like potentially a first. I think there are conversations around that in our more modern world where things are moving so quickly, and then we have the Internet and all that stuff. But sometimes when I'm thinking, somebody might have just realized a need and just did it. Yeah, And so it's interesting to me the idea of someone even now today not realize it, Like maybe they're kind of like at the forefront, maybe the first. They're like one of the first. Because I just so many things we talk about it. I'm like, yeah, you probably didn't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm laughing because I think, I mean, there's a lot of a lot more.
Speaker 2: I can't even say more.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, the Internet and social media amplifies things a lot of the time.
Speaker 2: But it's funny when you.
Speaker 3: Said a lot of people are probably committing first now and don't know it. I think there's probably so much room for arrogance in it because there are people who do know it and right to talk about it. I don't know this is I don't know what I was watching. I was in some corner of the Internet, probably distracting myself from writing Jojo Yojo Jojo?
Speaker 2: What did you see that club?
Speaker 3: If anybody hasn't seen this clip, it was like a clip of Jojo see was saying like I'm the first queer person or something like that to like switch up my style or really come out as I can't remember exactly what JoJo's What's it? But it was a wild statement that was completely unfounded. It's like as if judges ce what had done no research, had no sort of wasn't tapped in, wasn't tuned in, was totally yeah, And I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't look y'all.
Speaker 3: This is funny coming from me because I don't keep up with stuff on the internet like this, you know, But I mean I think that it's still something that you know, we have to I think that that is that actually that moment is a PSA to everyone and how they should think about first. Right, No, you can't just be out here willy nilly claiming things. Yeah, I mean, you come from somewhere. The reason that we all are doing what we're doing right now, the reason we podcast, the reason we have these microphones in front of us, like this all comes from somebody being the first person to do to do what we do.
Speaker 2: And it's like, you got to check yourself so right before. It was probably born from something. But it's kind of funny because she has made two kind of eras like that. In that also, she took a song that someone else had covered and then she got sold the song, so and she's like, there's no such thing as stealing and by because everybody was accusing her of copying, which you know, that's kind of that bigger conversation in general about like who was first, who's taking credit for it, and then all these things, And she got called out recently for that same kind of narrative of like no, no, no, no, no, I'm definitely the first one to do this. Oh okay fine, I'm definitely the first one to make it big, okay fine, like all of these things, trying to take credit for it. But she was on that same receiving end with that note.
Speaker 3: So you say that, to be fair, there have been some first like that that we've talked about. For sure, it's been like the first Black American in the fiftieth you know, you know, there's been some qualifications on these first.
Speaker 2: Sure, But I think that's that's the other part is like there's been qualifications on both sides where that people have been haven't been given credit and so having to reclaim it in general as were for as like first in general. I think it's funny because you know, recently, the I think Ramy Josef was on SNL and he was doing the I'm the first Egyptian host, I'm the first Muslim host, and then they're like no, no, no, man, It's like that was the skin. But that is that's kind of like the conversation, but we don't really oftentimes, and of course that's archived caveat, like, this is what we know for now, this is who they are showing on record as being the first. But we know as things change or things are being discovered or being like credited correctly, that things could be different later down the road. But for now, with the big caveat of possibly the first, we'll say tentatively their own record as the first.
Speaker 1: Well, this is also interesting too, because we do you do typically bring people where the part of the complication of covering them is what you can find, like resources, people who are doing the research, who have been working hard to get to the bottom of these these people that we're covering and you know, kind of putting into context like when things were written and all of that. But now you're introducing like the idea of misinformation and disinformation on the internet, and people just like making these claims, saying these things over and over again, like that's what we've seen in our politics right where they're like, know what you're seeing in front of your face, it's not true. So I wonder like in the future and people looking back at this, how big of an issue. Is that going to be of like getting pulling out the threads of what was reality.
Speaker 2: We actually start researching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's hard because I do have hang ups around including these first because of my lack of knowledge, which is a thing that I can't help. It's like, I don't know every single thing.
Speaker 2: So wait, laate what what huh? Celebration over.
Speaker 3: I had created this whole mythology around myself, you know, and I just ruined it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, but I do think about that when I'm doing these first because I'm like, you know, really like especially like if it's a person, if they had some sort of privilege in their society, right, there's a lot of the things I think about a lot of the time. I'm like, Okay, this person was a part of a wealthier class. This person was an aristocrat, they were a socialite, They had a lot of access to resources, they had a family who came from money, they were born on this side of town, or you know. It's some stories like that in these first and I wrestle with covering those just because generally, I mean, what the things that I like to talk about, I like to often talk about people who are in marginalized spaces, especially in the context to first, because you can get really tricky because you know, when you have access to resources, it's easier for you to discover things, it's easier for you to take time to discover things, it's easier for you to be able to deally, dally and frolic and you know, experiments. So yeah, so I think about that when I'm looking for first and looking in first stories. But it gets really tricky because life isn't so black and white. It's not like just because you have privilege in a certain realm of your life doesn't mean you have privileges everywhere. And we're talking about women in the first place, and in all of these societies that we've talked about in what society I don't know is privy to that in modern modern, slush modern ish times of women being oppressed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I.
Speaker 3: Think that when it comes up, I still have to push past that because these people still had accomplishments and achievements and they're still worth talking about, right And fortunately, because scholars have done research already, we get to understand more of the context of the societies that they were living in, so we can still talk about those things as we talk about whatever this first achievement was.
Speaker 2: You know, for us when we do like feminists around the world, trying to find new and like more lesser known people and not people who have are been credited or people being credited for things that are just showy. I try not to get celebrities, like there's so many when you go into the list of like yeah, top like these are environmentalists, and it ends up being celebrities who've talked about it, and you're like, that's not the same thing. Okay, you know, like you out those moments. But for me and I know what I'm trying to research, it's a whole process of me going through all the Google docs and all the Google searches, and I'm like, why do they give me the same things? So I do ask because I think you're a little more scholarly than I am when it comes to how you pick and choose who we talk each month, and where do you get this information? Tell me how to research. It's usually just when I find a thrill.
Speaker 3: Well I won't say usually, but it's when I find a thread in something else I'm researching a lot of the time, that's how it comes up. So I will be researching one thing, say for on theme, and then I'll find something through that and I'll file it to the side.
Speaker 2: Maybe there's a first there, maybe there's not.
Speaker 3: Maybe if I dig for something, I find out that it's the first, and maybe there's a first there that we don't know about too that because that's not my quite job.
Speaker 2: I have other things, you know, that I'm doing.
Speaker 3: But there are scholars who do that kind of deep digging, and they're going through archives and they find things like that, and then we low and behold, we found out that thing about this person, and we've uncovered another first. So sometimes that's how it happens.
Speaker 2: I also have a book of African American first at my house.
Speaker 3: I just have random books with very specific topics in them, and this book I got after we started this first series. Yeah, so that's another way that I come across them. And then sometimes I'm specifically searching for them. But a lot of the time, if you're just there, I only know English, so as we've talked about before, that limits me a lot and when I'm able to dig deeper into but sometimes I'll search for them, but then that search has to go deeper and deeper, because those lists can be very narrow because we're talking about the same first over and over, so that is less of how I'm able to find them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, for sure, Like I will find someone who did something amazing, but because I don't have enough information, or it's very limited information, or it's like a completely different language, or I don't have access to it because it's from a completely different country. I'm like, it's three sentences and that's not enough to fill our second and I feel bad because I want to talk about how amazing they are. Yeah, but there's just not enough. There's not enough.
Speaker 3: And also use books so sometimes, like if I'm traveling, I like to do that when I'm traveling because the information that's available in other cities and other countries might will be different, and I get in the places that I'm normally used to being in. I was when I was in a museum in Zambia and we haven't I had a list of zambiing and like South African people who I wanted to talk about and learn more about, but there's a language barrier there too, and there's resources available to me too that I didn't quite have enough on that are still on my list, maybe if one day we get to them. But when I was in a museum there it was like first woman to do this, and I was like, oh my god. My eyes are always peeled for first or just women who seem pioneering in somewhere or another. And if I can find a way to talk about them, if there is some first and all, then I will. But other times I just keep those for myself and I get to do my own, you know, deep dives.
Speaker 2: Speaking of which, at one point in time, I think the beginning of us doing the remote recording, you showed us the stack of books that you'd gotten from traveling. Oh how far have you gotten to that I started for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not super far, because because I had another stack, another stack, so I just kind of pick and choose what I like I want to read depending on what I'm into, right, Yeah, So I had to put you on the spot in the back of my head. And there are some there were some dense ones. There was like Portuguese history of South Africa from like sixteen hundred to seventeen fifty nine, something very specifically. That's not I'm not going to get way into historical books from way back, which.
Speaker 2: It's going to it's going to be a minute, all right, I will allow it. I guess.
Speaker 1: I do you think that's it's important point to make about first, because there are and we talked about this.
Speaker 2: In our life celebration. There are a couple of things to keep in mind.
Speaker 1: And I feel like you through the show have helped me because there's some that just sound fun, so you're like, Okay, ill, this is the first, but you really need to like do and to go into the context of it and see because sometimes countries just say that because they want to claim that they did it, like all kinds of things like that. But also if you never go beyond like the first, then like for instance, I have to bring.
Speaker 2: It up cicadas. I have to contractually obligated for the cicadas. Actually, she's just like one giant office.
Speaker 3: It's true, you to the office when you come out of hibernation because the cicada bosses have a schedule.
Speaker 2: Thing that's happening. That's right. I can't hold the form for long.
Speaker 1: But one of the things I came across was because I was of course looking for an angle about this, was that for a long time people have been saying the first person to discover these two different types of cicadas were these two dudes. Guess what it wasn't but there because it's kind of a fun fact. You just say it and then you don't go beyond it. But actually people have known for a while like you do, like even the most minute, like wait a minute, it wasn't before I hit it, but.
Speaker 2: The cicadas are named after them.
Speaker 1: But so it's always worth keeping those questions in mind, and even that who knows. She again, she was just like, look at these cool cicadas. I think there might be two different ones.
Speaker 3: And she wasn't thinking about claiming authorship or ownership of that thing too, and think you also have to consider that as part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because going back to your point there, there are a lot of first that I'm like, you got you just wanted to do this like very specific thing so that people would be like, oh, yes, right to do that.
Speaker 2: Yes, Aguinness World Records. People do the most interesting things to be the world record. Hold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was watching the woman who held a plank for like four and a half hours, five hours?
Speaker 2: Did you watch four and a half hours?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, I was like that.
Speaker 3: I can't admit, but streamed it. I was just watching, probably cleaning and watching.
Speaker 2: It into videos, okay, that one. Like You're a mystery to me, so I don't know what will hold your attention sometimes, like I'm discovering new things about you every time I feel like we get together. I wouldn't be above watching four hours. I don't think very impressed. I think, yeah, you'd watch just to see if it was happening, how long, doing a whole countdown four and encouraging her from far away? Yes, from like whatever the streaming Wait, do y'all leave comments on videos that you watch? Are y'all commentary? No? No, that was I was just wondering, waiting, traumatized by all the comments that we get, like even the good ones, I'm scared of them. So leaving a comment myself unless it's informative, truly informative, then I'm not or something I'm very knowledgeable about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a I was just thinking about this recently. I'm kind of a paranoid Internet person, even though I know it doesn't matter and they're spying at me or whatever, but I'm very like trying to leave behind as little footprints as possible. So as part of that is I don't comment. I will say, I mean, get out your bingo card. Also with fan fiction, that's the time I really feel like I want to comment, but I don't.
Speaker 2: But I do feel the urge because I'm like, love this. Also, you're leaving a giant footprint with your fan fiction I know. Okay, yeah, but that's under a pseudonym. Yes, yeah, but again easy to find. I haven't tried yet. Give me no dope. I do not no comments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in a way, I feel bad about it though, because I'm like, I'm not engaging, especially if it's like the creator that I like, you not gonna get it from me, so you're gonna have to get it from somebody else.
Speaker 2: No validation from me. Sorry, No, I don't know. It's probably because we do so many and you have so much on your plate. But do you have not an idea or a plan, but like thoughts of what you want to do for future episodes with us?
Speaker 3: I do I have a whole bunch of episodes in the can that like like ideas for topics.
Speaker 2: I'll say episodes in the can that I would like to do.
Speaker 3: Okay, I would say in general. As I said earlier, I love the synchronized drinking happening.
Speaker 2: You got to plan your moments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all of them are ones I have that I'd like to do more research on before bringing them to the table. I will say that we were talking earlier about how sometimes I find these ideas from what I'm doing episodes for other things. So I've been for on theme obviously on thing we talked about black storytelling, So I've been focused on a lot of black.
Speaker 2: People in history lately.
Speaker 3: But I would like to really broaden that to start talking about people from more places. I think we need more people from the African continent. I think we need more people from the Asian continent. I feel like we've had some people from Central and South America, so but I would still, of course love to keep touching on that. And then indigenous history. I think Indigenous American history. We've talked talked about Aboriginal history, was Ugaru New Knuckle before, but I think that I would love to touch on more Indigenous American history because that's super important. And then I think that there is one thing that has come up for me, but it's I think there's a difference between certain firsts that we focus on in the show, Like sometimes it's like the first time someone has accomplished something or done something. Sometimes it's the first time that they've they ended up being the first person to do that, and they weren't really trying to go for an accomplishment. It wasn't like a milestone per se. So some of them that I have on here are some like that. So there are a lot of them that I'm interested in doing, but I don't know if they will actually work out. So I'll tell you some of what these first are. I will say that I'm interested in talking about the first Black American nun to serve in Georgia. Also the first inductee into the International Circus Hall of Fame, because we haven't talked about the circus yet, But you know, I like things like that, so I'm interested in that one. And then there are quite a few that I have been I don't know. It's another thing that that comes up for me is the focus on Western first is what comes up a lot. So it'll be like the first person who is not an American, like who is of a different nationality to study something or get a degree in the United States or get a Western education or a Western degree. And while these people are that accomplishment is still an interesting one, and it's still one that matters for the work that they were doing. Centering it around the fact that it's the accomplishment is because it was from Western is a little It's definitely problematic. So I think, of course we have space, we have enough minutes to talk about that in an episode, but I'm wary of choosing those in the first place. But there are quite a few people I have on the list that are like that, and there is a lot of are a lot of accomplishments around degrees in other countries as well, like the first female medical school graduate in the Dominican Republic. We have the founder of the first hospital in Montreal, the first female physician to practice in Canada, the person who created the first primary school for Indonesian girls. So those are some that I'm interested in doing. Can't promise if all of those will come up in future episodes, right well.
Speaker 2: I will say we do have a pretty I think good base in Canada of listeners. We are growing in our listeners from South Korea. I'm like, what, very excited about that, also nervous why are you nervous because so many things as a whole episode in itself. But I think we have a pretty good base of listeners from Brazil too, because when we had that transition where we have our episodes translated into Portuguese, right, that happened, So we have a pretty good like international listenership. So yeah, in Australia too. We have got a lot of listenership in Australia, and I say, low, there could be three, thank you to three. I think a few from New Zealand, but I think we get more from Australia, like emails and such. But so I know that would be amazing. I know when people get excited. I think we talked about Canadian activists before and we've gotten like some responses, though I know people would love to hear all that. I'm always fascinated, you know, when it comes to my Asian peoples, and yes I say Asian because way back when they were all wanted a large territory fighting each other. We know this, So finding that history out is always fascinating to me. I feel like, yeah, there it is. Sometimes it's not pretty and I'm like, no, just kidding, talk about that. But like it is. It feels like that representation even though it's so far removed in some way for me, especially, so like when we talk about these different types of first, I think it is important that we do talk about the fact that when it's so focused in being like western is the upheld standard, which as I've been watching more and more K drama and a few of them being good, Yeah, we're doing We're making sure we have the medical episodes. But like I was kind of surprised and I didn't really think about it because we do watch most things in the US based in the US, how many uh, English terms are used for their medical profession, even in like South Korea, And so you'll hear procedures that are said in English and I'm like, oh, okay, because it hasn't been you know, it was practiced over here first or and or made famous or claimed by people of English origin. So it is interesting to hear that, like okay, to have that flip and to seeing why they think it is more important or because of how it was upheld to be that way, because that has been the standard for some practices like the medical field. But I find that stuff interesting because you do wonder why it is not wonder I kind of know. Obviously we all like colonization. Yeah, but like that's the end all of the conversations. But like why it is seen as the bigger price or the bigger accomplishments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And the on that note, it's when there are first for other people in other countries. It's often what we have a record of is often from people who are still alive, right, because it's because of what is recorded, because of what I have access to, and because of the resources people have had in some countries that may be still developing.
Speaker 2: So I think that makes it difficult too.
Speaker 3: But then that doesn't mean that I shouldn't cover those things, right, you know, It just means that I have to do more work to be able to find those things out.
Speaker 2: Not like it's a burden.
Speaker 3: It's just that I need to do my work, like I have a job to do, and if I'm invested in making sure that I highlight people from all places, no matter what we consider development, Obviously, the word developed is also a loaded word. I'm just using it for lack of a better term right now, because just because people don't have freaking what's something we have smart lights with colors that you can like yell at and they turn on.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean that place is it hard to develop most of the time. Anyway, you have to connect to Everything has to have a special have an app controls.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm sorry these things to.
Speaker 2: Japan and South Korea have it together. In that note, I'm sure China does too. But I've seen more like products and like the smart homes, they're going to be the first to be in trouble when everything goes awrong a right, you know.
Speaker 3: But not to say yes, I've seen a smart house on Disney Channel.
Speaker 2: I've seen it on TikTok, and I'm like, why do you even need this? But maybe want to. Like the towel warmers, why do you need this? But I want to? Yeah, those towel warmers. Do you have one? No?
Speaker 3: I don't, but they look luxurious. There was in France. I think when I was in France that there the.
Speaker 2: Days people are going anyway, all that. Wow, we really appreciate.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that, we appreciate modern technological We appreciate you.
Speaker 2: I obviously don't complaining about the technologies more so than no, we appreciate that you bring all these people to us, because I think half the time I always talk about the fact that this should be a movie. This needs to be at least a lifetime movie. Somebody not to be. To be is not good. I don't think to I don't think to be. They don't do well.
Speaker 3: Oh Mike has the good bad horror movies though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they really bad acted oh perfectly. Yeah. Last time was kind of like it's like one step up, I think, but no, because like I don't know, I didn't know about these things, and some of the big first and some of the big at least like the impact that they had. It may not have been the first, but they were the first for a group of people who did not have the opportunity, and so it opened up to oh, you can do this, so can I type of conversations, which is kind of the conversations we've had. It's like, it's not necessarily the fact that they may have been the very first. Most of the time it probably is, and they just weren't credited and we're not finding that out, or there's a debate about it, and it has to be a debate. But half the time it's more of like there is representation to show that it is possible that this did happen, and we have to credit that as a like a foundation or a building block to showing that there needs to be more opportunity. What could happen? What if more opportunity was given and not just for those who have connections, which is the absurd part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's so much wouldn't have happened. And in the first that we talked about.
Speaker 2: If those connections weren't there, right.
Speaker 3: Like sometimes it was like, well, I had this teacher who was willing to write a recommendation for me, and no women were getting into these schools back then, but I did because I had this male teacher who could do it for me. And so even if those connections weren't rooted in like some sort of overt societal privilege, it was just like proximal privilege. Right then, it was still you know, privilege.
Speaker 2: Right And yeah, that's a conversation like people don't want to have it is like privilege does not just mean one thing, and people get really upset by that word, Like I absolutely had the privilege. I would not have this job had it not been for my friends, Like i'd Caroline really helped me to get into this world. Annie trusted me enough not to make a fool of us, to be a part of this world, which has been a whole Like I would have never been a part of this This would never Podcasting was not a thing to me. It was like, what are you doing? Talk about things? But I don't understand. Of course, we know it's much bigger than that, and in the conversation and it's a lot of work, and y'all we but y'all put in a lot of work to make a show successful. The people who were before us, the hosts that were before us, the producers that were before us, they did a lot of work. But I also understand had I not had these connections, have the privilege of knowing these people, I would not be sitting here drinking champagne scoo with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people see privilege as a dirty word, but it's often toimes just the reality of our lives. So hey, it is And speaking of all these people that we talked about, Just because I don't know if people are jumping in on this episode and they've never heard another episode of Female First before, just know that this segment of Female First that we've been doing for many years each time we focused on one.
Speaker 2: In the early days, we.
Speaker 3: Had a couple of double episodes, but on one person in history who had some sort of first they were pioneering in some way. But some of those people, I'll give you some examples were Harriet E. Wilson, who was the first Black American to publish a novel. We also talked about Gabriela Mistral, she was the first Latin American author to get a Nobel Prize in literature. We talked about Bun Jao, who was considered the first female Chinese historian. We talked about Aurora Rays who you mentioned earlier, who was the first female muralist in Mexico. And we also talked about Wanghai moved to Mathai, who was the first African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize. So those are just a few of the episodes that we've done before on the show, and there.
Speaker 2: Are many others that you can listen to. Yes, and we especially, I especially love the ones with the diaries, like when you get to see like their perspective and you ring those out like yes, I okay.
Speaker 3: So because y'all know, every time we come with diaries and quotes and letters that I always talk about how much I like them, Like, I just couldn't help myself and did an episode on Black Women's Diaries on one theme, which is the other podcast that I do that's about black storytelling, and yeah, that's I think that's very I'm glad you brought that up, Samantha, because it is very integral in these first because, as we know, history is often written biopressors a lot of the time. That colors the perspective that we get to read when we're reading people's biographies and essays and articles that have been written on them. That's why we like to read scholar's work because they often do more in death research. They're digging through the archives themselves. But of course they still have their own perspectives. But when we get to read somebody's own first person narrative, we get to see things from their own view. It gives us a different perspective because we get to understand how they thought and how they felt about what their accomplishments were. We oftentimes see them working in real times. We can see the dated these entries that are dated, even though sometimes the dates are wrong. Sometimes the dates are wrong. Sometimes I get them wrong, And I think about that when I'm writing my journal.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I guess you get it. Yeah, things are all over the place of my journals.
Speaker 3: But anyway, we get to see it from their perspectives, and that offers just a more rich view of that person's life and of their accomplishment. So we don't just have to think about it as this is a first in history, and they did this first, and they achieved this, and they were a pioneer in their fields.
Speaker 2: We see a lot.
Speaker 3: More of the nuance and the soft spaces between the lines of these hard biographies that we get to read. We get to understand how they had struggles and what their first were because if we're reading these first, it can be like hey, geography, Like we're like, oh, they were amazing and doing this thing and they didn't have any struggles, or like, you know, they were impervious to bad things, all that things that wasn't the case. And you can see people work through those things in their journal entries and lie and sometimes tell the truth. Yeah, all of those things that unreliable narrator does. I do love that because it paints like that has come up a lot too. Sometimes someone will paint a story of themselves, like almost a myth of themselves. But the diary is great because in theory, no one's gonna read it right in theory, so it is really fascinating to get that behind the scenes look. And I have to say, Eves, I love going back to Samantha's point. I feel like you tell such a great story. So it is like not just your dry this is what this person did.
Speaker 2: It's like this is what they.
Speaker 1: Did, but this was their whole life, like they were so much more than this one thing that people are just saying over and over again, perhaps on the internet.
Speaker 2: So you do a great.
Speaker 1: Job and we love having you. Here's the fifty more episodes. Is there anything else you wanted to touch on before we close out? Eves, No, I think that's it. Cheers fifty more. Who knows what we'll get next time.
Speaker 2: I'm excited, Well, the preview, I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, oh gosh, we've learned so much over these and also it is fun. I always hesitate to do this because I feel like I've improved so much over time. But if you go back and listen to the first female first we used to do like we would have our own first at the end.
Speaker 2: Remember that what happened? Wait what happened? Remember we would do at the end.
Speaker 1: It would be like the you would give a first your life and I would do one and you would do one?
Speaker 2: What that me? Yeah? Remember because you were doing like episodes before me. Right, I'm pretty sure you were there because we were talking about the Carrio. It wasn't Karacus talent shows, like anyway, how do you do that? I can't listen. I can't listen to my past self. I can't listen to the present self. Half the time we have to That was seriously literally every day struggle with all. It is so one point speed. I can listen to myself that way, kind of like a ChIL.
Speaker 1: Oh my well, listeners, if you would like to go back, it is there and it is kind of funny. Well, Eves, thank you, thank you, thank you so much for coming in, for being here, for these fifty episodes.
Speaker 2: For everything you do here. Yes, where can the good listeners find you?
Speaker 3: Y'all can find me on Instagram at not Apologizing. Y'all can also find me on many many more episodes of stuff I've never told you doing female first, So listen to all of those. You can also find me at Eves Jeffcoat dot com. And you can also find me on the other podcast called On Theme that's about black storytelling and all its forms that I co host with Katie Mitchell. And if you want to follow us on social media, you can also follow us on Instagram at on Theme Show and check us out on our website at on Theme dot Show.
Speaker 1: Yes, do all of that, listeners if you have not already, yes, well we have.
Speaker 2: Fifty more episodes to look forward to. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: But in the meantime, listeners, If you would like to contact us, you can our emails Stephanie and mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com, combine us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok at stuff on Never Told You. We're else on YouTube just saying we have a tea public store and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks as always too, our super producer Christina or executive producer and our contributor Joey.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks to you for listening Stuff I Never Told You Uspriction by Heart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, you can check out the heart radio, Apple podcasts, or where you listen to your favorite ships.