Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 1: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today, Karen.
Speaker 3: The rise in futures comes as the S and P five hundred is coming off its biggest losing streak since January. Stocks fell for a fourth straight day. They're now down more than four percent from their all time high. The declines come as more Federal Reserve officials urge patients on rate cuts. FED Governor Michelle Bowman says the battle against inflation continues.
Speaker 4: What we've seen over the past first few months of twenty twenty four, anyway, is that progress on inflation has slowed, and I expect maybe it's even stalled at this point.
Speaker 3: FED Governor Michelle Bowman's comments were echoed by Cleveland FED President Lorettamester at a separate event. She said the Central Bank should not be in a hurry to cut well.
Speaker 1: Nathan One FED critics as policymakers should begin the rate cutting process. UBS Global Wealth Management chief economist Paul Donovan says the FED should focus on the positive news regarding its preferred inflation gauge, the PCEE deflator.
Speaker 5: What we do not want in this environment is rising real interest rates. Because the economy is slowing. You've got the highest interest rates in twenty three years, You've got a fiscal drag on growth. The economy is slowing down. You don't want to exacipate that with rising retial rates. So I think the message needs to be follow the PC de plate to lower ubs.
Speaker 1: Global Wealth Management chief economist Paul Donovan, speaking yesterday on Bloomberg surveillance, traders now see just one to two rate cuts this year. That's a far cry from the roughly six they expected at the start of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Back in New York, Karen jury selection resumes today in the hush money trial of Donald Trump. Seven jurors have been picked so far in the first ever criminal case against a former president.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Nathan Trump is facing more pressure from economists in his circle to embrace a flat tax rate. While the former president has not endorsed a flat tax, he has called for more middle class tax cuts. Weget details now from Bloomberg's Amy Morris in Washington.
Speaker 6: Steve Forbes, former White House economic advisor Larry Cudlow, and economists Steven Moore and author Laffer are not official advisors to the Trump campaign, but they are pushing for their preferred economic policies ahead of a potential second term. Forbes is pushing for a flat seventeen percent tax rate for all income brackets with exemptions. Cudlow supports renewal of Trump's twenty seventeen tax cuts, but Laffer says he would support lowering the corporate rate even more now. Donald Trump has told allies he wants to keep that twenty one percent corporate rate in place and instead extend individual cuts to avoid alienating working class voters. In Washington, Amy Moore as Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, Amy, thank you. We're learning Donald Trump's campaigns telling other Republicans to pay up if they use the former president's name, image, or likeness in their fundraising solicitations. In a campaign memo obtained by Bloomberg News, all candidates and committees who use Trump in their fundraising appeals must give a minimum five percent of the funds they raise to the Trump Political Operation.
Speaker 1: Well Nathan, Donald Trump's opponent Joe Biden, is on the campaign trail. Speaking of Pittsburgh, the president vowed to keep United States Steel American owned.
Speaker 7: US still has been an iconic American company for more than a century, and it should remain a totally American, American owned, American operated by American union steel workers, the best in the world. And that's going to happen, I promise you.
Speaker 1: In Japan's Nippon Steele plans to acquire US Steel for more than fourteen billion dollars.
Speaker 3: And President Biden's talking tougher about China. Karen is. He highlights the challenges to its economy.
Speaker 7: They've got a population that is more people in retirement than working. They're not they're not important to any They're not bringing there's xenophobic, nobody coming else coming in. They've got real problems. I'm not looking for a fight with China. I'm looking for competition, but fair competition.
Speaker 3: To the President's latest letter, it comes two weeks after his latest phone call with Chinese President Shi Jinping. The Chinese economy did grow faster than expected in the first quarter, but there are still questions about the strength of that recovery.
Speaker 1: Well, Nathan, more pressure could be coming for China from Congress. The House is on a fast track to approve the bill aimed at forcing a sale of TikTok. Speaker Mike Johnson plans to include it in the aid package for Ukraine in Israel that he's teed up for votes on Saturday. Two Republicans have threatened to try to oust Johnson over foreign aid, but the Speaker is undaunted.
Speaker 8: My philosophy is you do the right thing and you let the chips fall where they may. I don't if I operated out of fear over emotion to vacate, I would never be able to do my job.
Speaker 1: Speaker Johnson has already passed the TikTok bill in the House. Attaching it to the foreign aid bill could force the Senate to accept it as a condition for supporting Israel and Ukraine.
Speaker 3: Well Karen Senate Democrats have not accepted impeachment articles against Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Majorcis. They have tossed the charges. Bloomberg's Dan Schwartzman has.
Speaker 9: That Democrats in the Senate voted to dismiss both articles of impeachment against Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Majorkis. The vote was mostly along party lines, except for Alaska Republican Lisa Rokowski voting president on a measure to toss the first impeachment article. Republicans have accused Maiorkis of refusing to enforce immigration laws. The secretary is the first sitting cabinet member in US history to be impeached. Democrats say the measure was unconstitutional because it didn't meet the constitutional bar of a high crime or misdemeanor. Republicans accused Democrats of failing to take the charges against Majorcis seriously and that the American people deserve to hear the evidence. Dan Schwartzman, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, Dan, thanks now back to the Marcus. Keeping an eye on chip stocks this morning. Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing expects revenue to rise as much is thirty percent this quarter. The better than projected outlook follows its first profit rise in a year after strong AI demand revived growth at the world's biggest contract chip maker. TSMC is the main chip maker for Nvidia and Apple, and.
Speaker 3: Shares of Micron Technology are on the rise as well, Karen. They're up two and a half percent in early trading. The largest US maker of computer memory chips, this poised to get six point one million dollars billion dollars I should say billion with a B in grants from the Commerce Department to help pay for domestic factory projects. This is all part of an effort to bring semiconductor production back to US soil.
Speaker 1: And it's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. And for that we're joined by Bloomberg's John Tucker. John, Good morning and.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Karen. Republicans have VOP held the Arizona abortion ban. Let's get more on that story this morning from Bloomberg Steve Podisc.
Speaker 10: Republicans in the Arizona State House Block two attempts Wednesday to repeal the state's one hundred and sixty year old near total ban on abortion, despite pressure on the GOP, including from former President Donald Trump, to change course on the hot button issue. But later in the day, two Senate Republicans joined with Democrats and up to create a majority to move forward with their version of a repeal. A final vote on the bill could be weeks away. If the Senate does ultimately vote to repeal the ban, the measure would go back to the House, where it would still face.
Speaker 8: A difficult path. Steve Podisk Bloomberg Radio two hearings on Capitol Hill focused on Boeing. In the first, a report exposed holes in the safety culture at the company. Three witnesses backed it up with testimony for senators. The second hearing featured a former Boeing engineer and saying the airplane manufacture is not up to par. Senator Richard bluminthalf Connecticut had this message for the flying public.
Speaker 11: The aircraft as a whole may be safe insofar as people getting on planes shouldn't panic, but they need to be made fully safe.
Speaker 8: Speaking to ABC, President Biden will be endorsed by more than a dozen members of the Kennedy family at an event today in Philadelphia as he looks to blunt the outsider presidential bid of Robert F. Kennedy Junior. Biden will be introduced by Kerry Kennedy, the sister of the third party candidate, and joined by fellow siblings. Poll suggests that Robert F. Kennedy Junior, whose promoted conspiracy theories, could place spoiler as mister Biden seeks to win reelection. And Google fired twenty eight employees after they were involved in protests against Project Nimbus, a one point two billion dollar joint contract with Amazon to provide the Israeli government with AI and cloud services. The protests took place across Google offices in New York City, Seattle, and Sunnyvale, California. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you wanted with Bloomberg News. Now, I'm John Tucker, and VC is Bloomberg Karen and Nathan.
Speaker 1: All right, John, thank you time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update with John stash Hour. John, Good morning, Good.
Speaker 12: Morning, Karen's looking like the Knicks are going to continue their long history of playoff series with Miami. The Heat had a fourteen points second half lete in Philadelphia. The fans were booing the Sixers. Philly came alive rally to win one oh five to one to oh four. Joe lmb twenty three points, fifteen rebounds, Nick patuone with twenty off the bench. Tyrese Maxi scored nineteen. Was then asked about now facing the Knicks.
Speaker 13: They're extremely grinding team. They play hard, they're physical, and they're tough, and that's their identity. So for us to go in there and try to get w's and try to win this series, we have to mess that and not just matchup. But we have to overcome that and be better than that in n be extremely physical as well.
Speaker 12: Game one Saturday at the Garden, the Heat, who came out of the play in the play in last year's NBA Finals, now go home to play Chicago tomorrow. The Bulls beat Atlanta one thirty one, one sixteen. Kobe White scored forty two points. The winner of that game tomorrow will then take on the Celtics and the NFL playoff matchups set in the East, not yet in the West. Although Dallas did win the winch the West one seed the playoff found Islanders finished the regular season with another win, five to four over Pittsburgh in Toronto. Looked like another quiet game for Yankee Bats. They trailed the Blue Jays four to one eighth inning, looked like they'd come home with a four game losing the Street, but Juan Soto homeward in the eighth. Jack Carlos Stands on the ninth Yanks scored again, and then with the game tied, Aaron Judge a two run single, Yanks won six to four. Judge with a hit, raising his average till one eighty three. A couple of x Yanks helped the Mets finish a home sweep of the Pirates. Find the pitching of Luis Savarino, A homer by Harrison Vader, The Mets one ninety one, John Stashedward, Bloomberg Sports, Karen Nathan.
Speaker 1: All Right, John Thanks SMP futures have a quarter percent or twelve points down, futures up, a tenth of a percent or forty points NASDAK futures at four tenths of percent or seventy points tenure Treasury yields four point five seven percent.
Speaker 11: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg day Break Morning. I'm Nathan Hager, JP, Morgan Chase CEO. Jamie Diamond has made no secret that his firm is all in on artificial intelligence. In fact, this month, he devoted a pretty significant chunk of his annual shareholder letter to the importance of the technology for the Wall Street Giants business and for society at large. In the premiere episode of the second season of The Circuit, Jamie Diamond joined Bloomberg Original's host and executive producer Emily Chang to discuss the opportunity offered by AI. Before that, though, Emily asked Jamie Diamond, if JP Morgan, the world's largest publicly listed bank, is now too large, let's go to part of their conversation.
Speaker 14: Now.
Speaker 15: I think the question is what works for consumers and industries and stuff like that. So you know, if you want to build a Boeing aircraft, you have to be big. You can pretend that you don't if you want to do what JP Morgan does. We move ten trillion dollars of money around the world every day. We bank some of these companies in thirty countries. We bank trees, We bank the World Bank, the IMF, we bank the United States government. You have to be big. You can't do those things and be small. I applaud the small banks. We're the biggest bank, community banks and regional banks and stuff like that.
Speaker 14: And I understand, you know, some of the stress around it. We're trying to help. So it's not either or so.
Speaker 16: Going a little bigger picture. Now, you run the biggest bank in the world, you have our money, You've got world leaders on speed dial. That's a lot of power. How do you decide when and how to wield that power.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 15: I have a lot of people at speed, doll you say all that, Sometimes I think I'm just riding the Bronco and hanging out for deal life. You know, I love what I do. I try to talk that around. I try to keep my mind open. One of the benefits from traveling the world. I just in Mumbai, in Switzerland and seeing clients. You learn a lot and you try to make sure you're that you're doing the proper assessment of the world, that you're looking at the options.
Speaker 14: You're not like just saying we're going to do this.
Speaker 15: I look as part of our job to try to have countries to help country do the best they can for their citizens.
Speaker 14: So we bank countries.
Speaker 15: We also advise them on skills and trade and economics. You look at our research, it's a lot around how's an economy run. So when you go to like when I got back from Mumbai, we research one hundred and fifty companies now or something like that. So we're educating the world about those companies. We're educating the world but the Indian economy. As we do that, we indicate also educate the Indians about what works in their economy and what doesn't work, and those are important things to lift up society.
Speaker 16: You've got this reputation as a sort of white Night for the economy. Do you ever feel pressure to come in with the save?
Speaker 15: I feel a tremendous amount of pressure to do Obviously my family comes first, okay, but to do a great job for my company and our clients. But I also feel a huge burn to do a good job for my country. So you know, when my country wants me to do something, and we talk all the time to you know, their senators and regulators, what can we do to make the system better, to lift up the country, lift up.
Speaker 14: In the cities.
Speaker 15: We're trying to figure out how to make society better, and I do consider that.
Speaker 14: Part of our job.
Speaker 16: I know you mentioned chet GPT and your annual letter. Have you tried it?
Speaker 14: Yeah? If I had my phone, i'd show you.
Speaker 16: What do you use it for?
Speaker 14: I just ask you questions like what I don't remember? What'sda bee chain going to ask me?
Speaker 16: We've got a top notch group investigating AI. What are they up to? What's the next level of finance you think AI can unlock?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 15: So I think the most important thing is that it's AI is real. We already have thousands of people doing it, top scientists around their own Manu level Velosa from who ran Carnegie Mellon machine learning. And it's a living breathing thing. So people want to answer, what's going to do. It's a living breathing thing.
Speaker 14: It's going to change.
Speaker 15: They're going to be all different types of models and different types of tools and technology.
Speaker 14: But the way to think about for us.
Speaker 15: Is every single process, so errors, trading, hedging, research, every app every database, you can be applying AI. So it might be as a copilot, it might be to replace humans. You know, AI is doing all the equity hedging for us. For the most part, it's idea generation, it's large language models. It's no taking while you're talking to someone and whiles taking notes and may actually say to you that, you know, here's the thing of interest to climb by Peterston.
Speaker 14: All error, all customer service. It's a little bit of everything.
Speaker 16: But it is going to replace some jobs, of course.
Speaker 15: Yeah, but I look, folks, people have to take a deep breath. Okay, technologies always replaced jobs. Your children will live to one hundred and not have cancer because of technology and literally they'll probably be working three.
Speaker 14: And a half days a week.
Speaker 15: So technology has done unbelievable things from mankind. You know, planes crash, pharmacials get misused. There are negatives. This is one of the biggest negative in my view, is AI being used by bad people to do bad things, think of cyber but you know the fact and I do think you know, eventually have legal guardrails around. It's kind of hard to do because it's new, but it will add a huge value. And you know, for JP Morgan if it replaces jobs and.
Speaker 14: We hope to redeploy people.
Speaker 16: So is there going to be a point where I can turn to chat JPM and say I have thirty years or I want to get rich quick? What should I do with my money?
Speaker 14: Well, the rich quick?
Speaker 15: I hope it tells you that you're crazy. Yeah, but we in some ways can do a little bit ray today. And you know, usually if you look at like wealth plans that we have, which I think are quite good, they have a lot of AI em better than that.
Speaker 14: And if soon I'll have more AI.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time, on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 2: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, seriusxmb iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 3: And I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 1: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak