Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody's e j en Vy Jess hilarious, charlamage the god we are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: You got a special guest in the building.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, Avery Spares.
Speaker 1: Welcome brother, welcome back, welcome back.
Speaker 4: How you feeling, man, I'm.
Speaker 5: Good man, I'm all good man. Last time I saw ya. You're always over on Hudson Street.
Speaker 4: Absolutely that we haven't seen you in a long a long time.
Speaker 3: Like TV all the time, all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, when somebody came in, like, I don't know, Ay spears, he might be a little upset, I was like, that's airy. That's how he always is.
Speaker 1: He's got some misconception, upset by what.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe they walked in and they said he didn't seems as lovable as as they were seem But I'm like, that's aries.
Speaker 4: That's how he is.
Speaker 1: They don't you know, he's a lovable To the contrary, I'm very lovable.
Speaker 5: I just keep an ice cube scowl on my face because I don't want niggas to think they can come up and say anything.
Speaker 1: To me like I love you. That's hilarious, you know. Let me tell you something.
Speaker 5: I truly believe I've always been one of the most misunderstood catching the game because I don't walk around, you know, pulling a Magic Johnson smiling from temple to temple. So because I got a you know, a straight, a kind of certain exterior, there's that, and then people see me in interviews and based off things I say, Apparently truth is the new hate, you know, Opinionated is the new bitter, you know what I mean. I'm just honest about what I you know, how I feel about things I speak at, how I see it, how I feel it, and people misconstrued that shit for hate, which is ridiculous because I just.
Speaker 1: Come from an era where you know, you speak your mind.
Speaker 3: You think you've ever been understood. Was there a point where you were and then something happened and people just started misunderstanding you or you think it was like that from the beginning.
Speaker 5: I just think it was like that from the beginning, you know what I mean, And especially now because of this social media age we live in where you got to push it fire everything. Like I said, when you honest, that just gets misconstrued. And just because I don't necessarily go with the grain of the opinion that you like that's viewed as hate. You know, It's like why I got to always flow with the traffic, you know what I mean. If I don't feel it, I don't feel it.
Speaker 3: So that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I think that in the fact that you so try to state area in New York and New Jersey from from the from the beginning, I think that's that's part of it too.
Speaker 1: Bias as fun. But I admit it. I admit it.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying. People go, man, you you're a New York nigga. You on like West Coast, like no rapp of the thing. If they from New York. I've given credit where I find credit should be due.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I love a lot of artists today't from New York. It ain't many, but you know, I just I like a swag man.
Speaker 1: You know East.
Speaker 4: It wasn't in beefing, no more like be cool with him.
Speaker 6: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying, you know, I'm stumping in my in my in my belief system. Yeah, man's certain certain rhythm and cadence and delivery. You know, it is what it is as.
Speaker 2: A comedian, why do you think And I don't want you to take this the wrong way because I've watched you know, I come to your shows all the time and a wife. Why don't you think you are not a bigger comedian as I think that you should.
Speaker 5: Be because my my mouth is my biggest strength, but it's also on the biggest detriment. No, I don't have to do it, No, diddy, I know who I am. I don't play the man.
Speaker 1: I don't get in. That's it. You know what I'm saying. All that I know who the sh That whole cause thing to me is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you something like you might be thinking about it.
Speaker 5: No, listen And when I when I did Glad recently we were talking about Denzel and I and I said, hey, listen, part of the allure to a Denzel, especially in his prime or Brad Pitt is besides the talent, they were attractive, attractive, there's a sex appeal, there's a sexinist m and the comments was, Yo, what's one thing to kind of say a man is handsome, but.
Speaker 1: To use the word sexy.
Speaker 6: Get the fuck out of here, man, Imperial.
Speaker 3: You ain't a sexy you said sex appeal?
Speaker 5: No, I might have said, yo, I get it. I know why women like him. He's a sexy guy. He alludes sex appeal. That's the same thing.
Speaker 3: The same thing.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing.
Speaker 3: Man, you want to say something so bad, I'm thinking about it, like what. I don't know if I would say's sexy sex appeals? The same thing, like the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you recognize what your My eyes ain't lying to me. I know what. I know what he looks like. I know what attractive.
Speaker 3: Now. The other day, then jumped out of car and he was he's seventy.
Speaker 1: Now seventy.
Speaker 3: Girls was losing their mind. I'm looking at him like, yoah, I hope I look that good at seventy.
Speaker 1: Telling Hunt looks seventy and she's not. Damn.
Speaker 5: You know, white folks age like fruit nigga wants to go bad niggas over.
Speaker 3: They congratulated twenty five years of comedy, man, after long thirty five thirty five five.
Speaker 5: Year started when I was fourteen. Damn yeah, damn yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: How things changed?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 5: Uh, I feel like it changes every ten years for comedy. You know, I think that it's it's in terms of its evolution. Uh, I don't know if it's as potent as it used to be. Because now everybody with these cell phones and the platform can get in the studio fifty four. Everybody shouldn't be allowed in the studio fifty four. You know.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's causing, it's diluting the product a little bit. You know.
Speaker 5: I understand if you know the fifteen minutes of fame. But substance makes longevity, you know, Substance makes a career, you know. And I see so many of these flashing the pants come along and some of it, I listen, some of it is funny as hell, you know, I'm I.
Speaker 1: Get caught up in the scroll matrix, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But at the end of the day, I know the difference between the undercard and the main event, you know what I'm saying, Like, come on, man, yeah, do.
Speaker 3: You still have the same love when you first started?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Absolutely?
Speaker 5: I mean listen, I I get frustrated at times and the moments where I want to quit just because the politics of it and the bullshit of it can start to wear on you. But I'm in perspective, what the fuck are are gonna do? This is what this is my passion, This is what I do. You know, so got to ride it to the wheels fall off. What are the politics for somebody like a you know it's funny. I recently did Tony podcast and I told Tony the story where one night Chris and I. I never really had a lot of interaction with Chris. We went out to dinner one time and at the end of the dinner he was just like, hey, man, I can give three pieces of advice. Keep writing, stay funny, and try not to piss these white folks off. I listened to two of the pieces of advice, and, like I said, my mouth is my biggest power, my biggest detriment. I say a lot of shit that I think sometimes turns people off. And again, if they don't know me in depth, they take it for face value and they think, oh, he's this way. But you know, again, if you took time to really hang out with me and do some self investigation, yeah, there's certain parts that I'm gonna commit to. But I'm more than that than what you just see in an interview. So, you know, the politics for me has been trying to figure out how to navigate through this mind fuck of what you say and what you don't say.
Speaker 2: You know, so you don't hold your tongue. So do you ever get to a point where it's like you scared of saying things now? Because usually some some of the stuff that when we go to your shoes you would say off the wall is it was funny, but now that that awful?
Speaker 1: Well stand up I'm gonna always be that. I'm not changing that.
Speaker 5: But in terms of interviews, not that I'm I won't. I don't like the word scared, but I'm gonna be more strategic and how I say what I want to say, you know, because there's a way to say everything, and it's comics. You know, that's the brilliance of what we do is to put that make shit smell like roses if we choose to do that.
Speaker 1: So you know, I'm probably trying to think a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Is that because you don't maybe want to make sure that you're not canceled and you're not on what I can't.
Speaker 3: Really cancel you when you got the stage. I don't think standom comedians can never be canceled.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in terms of stand up, no, But then you know film and television where sometimes the bigger, easier money is to be made that can be taken away from you. But you know, this is why I love Dave Chappelle so much. I don't want to jinx it, and I don't think I am. But I think he's uncancellable, you know, because he's such a force to be reckoned with.
Speaker 3: Something you said does not make a lot of things though, because the older you get as a comedian, do you still want to be toring every weekend? Do you want that to be the way you make money? Would you rather be able to do something easier or like a TV show?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, you enjoy it, if you enjoy it, but you know there's levels to this. So if you at the level where you know, instead of grinding out, you know, three nights, six seven shows, you do a theater for one night and instead of commercial you fly in private, I don't think that ever gets old, you know. So it's it's trying to figure out a way to lessen the grind, you know, like I just started doing data is now for the longest I've always done clubs. But you know, between the date of the Garden, I just sold out Toronto. I just sold out Boston at the wilbur So. I'm you know, I'm slowly trying to get to that point, you.
Speaker 3: Know, doing the Hulu theater on the May eighteenth. A lot of people know you from Mad TV, and I always wondered because comedians, whenever they get it, enounce to be like from comic view from death comedy jam. I'm like, does that still matter when people still remember those things?
Speaker 1: Not not? If not?
Speaker 5: If not, if you, if your position is solidified, like I'll go places in the in the in the person will asks me, he whis your credits?
Speaker 1: Just say Harry Spizz.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Everybody here knows who the fuck I am? What the so they need to know? Hey, I've done they know already.
Speaker 3: I might have been watching you on Black TV for the last ten I might be twenty five.
Speaker 1: I don't know, right right, right, right right?
Speaker 3: Why do you think shows like mad TV, sketch shows like that didn't have the longevity of like SNL.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, other than SNL, Mad TV was the only sketch show to have that kind of longevity. But you know, listen, Saturday Night Live is the bully on the block, always has been. Maybe if the powers that be had kind of supported us more like like even Fox didn't really support us like we we had some of the biggest names in music, Wu Tang, Gwen Stefani, Missy, and our lead into the show was the news. So when they would finish their segment, they would just go, all right, now stay tuned for mad TV, wouldn't it Who's on the show During summer Fox's biggest hits, they would never promote us.
Speaker 1: No teas, no no tease, no nothing. So we we just we never really got the support that we deserved.
Speaker 5: Why, I don't know, I don't know. It just it was. It was weird, man. You know, we were like the bastard step child, uh to Fox on our own network.
Speaker 3: You know, it's crazy that when you realize this is Hollywood, think game for me because I'm being here cursing everybody out curse.
Speaker 5: No I you know, no, I mean listen, it's it's part of what goes through the journey. So you know, always said, I don't really know how this is gonna end for me. But uh, as much as I want to sometimes get discouraged, I'm not gonna quit. You know, I'll die before I quit, or it may kill me. But either way, man, I'm in it, you know, because here it's funny, I just put as much as I complain, it's not until you step back sometimes and you put shit in perspective where you go, I have reason to complain, But then I look back and go my life versus the regular joes.
Speaker 1: This is still fantastic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the kind of money I'm making one weekend, and you know, I don't have a boss. I can sleep in all day if I want, don't have to answer to nobody.
Speaker 1: What's better than that?
Speaker 7: And I said that to you, And then now we're here.
Speaker 6: I.
Speaker 5: Know you.
Speaker 3: Like, what did you want? Like before before you took a step back to look and appreciate what you have? What did you want? You know?
Speaker 5: I think that and I and this is one of those moments WHI I'll say I I I hope people don't think that I'm being arrogant when I say this, but I think based on my skill level, I should be getting as just as much or I'll say just as much as Kevin Hard or you know, Mike Apps. But again I will take responsibility for why I'm not because again I I don't I step different.
Speaker 4: You know, Uh, was there a particular step that you know that.
Speaker 1: Damn that you stepped on.
Speaker 3: A case.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I probably shouldn't said what I said about Jordan Peel, and you know, and and and uh even at one point, I remember Kevin was on here talking about the beef with me and him and EPs and uh yeah. You know, listen, man, when you young and you brash, and you're in New Yorker and you're an alpha dog, you you your ego. We want the beach chess, you know, and that's always who I've been. So now that I'm forty nine and I'm looking back, I'm like, oh, maybe I shouldn't.
Speaker 4: Have you did the Cat Williams before Cat Williams?
Speaker 5: Probably yes, yes, so you know, but like I said, as long as I got air in my lungs and a.
Speaker 1: Shot, I got a shot.
Speaker 2: Have you ever spoke to those individuals that you know you might have went at what.
Speaker 3: You said about Jordan Peel?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, there was a segment where Vlad had showed an interview where Russell's Simmons had described them and basically said, Hollywood didn't pick them niggas such and such and such and this is how they and I was saying based on my experience with them, it's like especially it would fuck me up. Was when they were with mad, especially Jordan's Kekan, you could always see what it was talent wise, but Jordan was so quiet and he didn't really bring it like that, so I didn't know that really his superpower was writing and directing.
Speaker 1: And I just said that, you know, listen, I said, yes.
Speaker 5: They are black men. Yeah, black by pigmentation. But you know, just because we got this skin tone, don't always make you what this skin tone is. And they were very I don't even know white wash, but they just you know, the difference between just because you're a black man, your brother, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: They didn't really have a lot of brother ship to them.
Speaker 5: And then I'm like they both married the white women and they carried themselves certain way. And but listen, was it. This is an observation that happens to exist. I know a lot of people in the comments are go, what defines black. Let's not play that game. We know what defines It's a rhythm, it's a culture, it's feel, it's a walk, it's a sound.
Speaker 2: But it's a difference between somebody that grew up in the hood and somebody grew up in the suburbs.
Speaker 1: They're still black, but they got a different I say.
Speaker 5: All the time, I'm a Huxtable nigger. I ain't a good times nigga, you know. I know there's a difference. But even the Huxtable niggas, you could tell all legitd niggas are doing.
Speaker 1: The jazz hands got.
Speaker 5: Evans was just as authentic as the Huxtables. But we know these niggas out there, and I'm gonna say one now, and and you had them on your show. I can't stand Larry Elders. I can't stand that coon ass nigga. I can't stand Kansas Owens, you know. And I love when Dave Chappelle referred to her as a brilliant idiot.
Speaker 1: Because that's just what it is. Yeah, I know too.
Speaker 5: She's articulate, she's intelligent, but use the wrong way, you know what I mean, Just just just like you, you're intelligently dangerous.
Speaker 1: So you know.
Speaker 5: And and I don't care what Larry Elder says. I've seen enough shit on him, read enough shit on him to where I go. Nigga, Please, that's one of the most tap dancing it's ass kissing niggas in the game. Stop it, you know, get the fuck out of here. So now you see I'm trying. You pulled me.
Speaker 1: Back here, trying to watch myself. Goddamn it, the natural shit has happened.
Speaker 3: I've never seen that with Kean Peel though. Well maybe, but probably they don't discuss politics. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't think they have to discuss politics. But again, and I know to the people that will sit here and go, I'm tired of black people trying to define blackness. Let's not play this game. You know, when you hang around somebody and you talk to him and there's a vibe and an energy, you know what that is. I'm just simply saying they never gave off that energy. And that was my observation. Whether one is to agree with it or not, that's neither here nor there. It's funny about that people. There was a point where people felt like that about Dave.
Speaker 1: Early early, early on.
Speaker 5: And you know what, when I heard that, that was only because Dave had, like a lot of black comedians, Dave's route was more rooted in like doing stuff that white people saw that black people didn't really see. But once Dave did the Chappelle Show, niggas came late to the Dave party.
Speaker 1: Dave was always that.
Speaker 5: Nigga but black for instance, like Martin shoe Martin, that's that's biblical in the Yeah, that shit was biblical, right. They didn't have that accessibility to black people the way Martin did. But Dave was always a thousand percent nigga. And then once Chappelle show came out, niggas went, oh, well, waited nigga right here. Now they late to the party. But real comics and real niggas know Dave've always been that.
Speaker 7: So yeah, what so Comic View then and now I never did come with you know what I'm saying. You watched it, like, how do you feel about it being rebooted?
Speaker 1: And how the same way I felt about Death Jam being rebooked. Yeah, like you know that, and that.
Speaker 5: Was something the explosion. And obviously Death Jam came before Comic View. And I tell people this all the time. What made Death Jam so explosive and it was it was inevitable, was because prior to Death Jam, Hollywood only allowed one nigga for a decade, you know, Gregory in the sixties, prior in the seventies, Eddie in the eighties, and black talent had always been out there, we just weren't allowed to shine like that. So once America got a chance to see a thousand niggas at once, it was an explosion. Then followed behind that Comicview, but the genies out the bottle now, so I don't.
Speaker 1: Know how you captured that.
Speaker 5: What was special then now on TV on TV, and now you got this thing which is a thousand other options, you know, and and you know when you did death Jam or Comicview, you got on there because you earned your stripes. It was talented. Now everybody with this platform is a comedian. And I'm just like, damn like this one nigga on on on Instagra, on social media, the nigga that pulls the cereal on his head and the milk in the walmart.
Speaker 1: Have you seen this? He needs like a pep coach.
Speaker 5: Like he goes in the Walmart and opens a whole box of cereal and dumps the entire thing of cereal and milk all over his body a mask. Well, he's trying to get your attention. But while he does it, he's telling you believe in yourself. What anybody tells you, believe in yourself, you.
Speaker 1: Can do it.
Speaker 5: And meanwhile, in the background, you got all these people in the store like, what is this nigga doing? And in the comments, people are going, yo, man, look past the milk and the message.
Speaker 1: And he had a message. And I'm going, who the fuck, nigga.
Speaker 5: If somebody's gotta clean that got to clean that, that's not funny. And I said, nigga, if you really want to be impactful with that same energy and that same practice, do that at a police station. Yeah, go into cops, NI believe in his house, put the cereal in the milk. Do that ship at the at the police station. And the people are saying, this is good. Not even come to your house and do that shit in your living room to clean up cereal and milk.
Speaker 3: I want to ask you something about the nineties, man, because growing up in the nineties, it felt like people were not as sensitive as they are now. And I'm not even talking about like it was a great eraror like, and it felt like artistically people could do things like we talk about men on film and I've seen people give you, you know, flack for sketches that you've done and I'm like, but that's how things were back then. You're judging things on this era. Back then that was normal, right, So it's like, what do you think happened? Even the black men wearing dresses and all of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, again social media, because everybody's got a voice. Everybody believes it because they have a voice station be heard, they're special. And the fact is everybody ain't special. Some people are fucking dumb. Most people are dumb. Most people don't have talent. Most people, you know, they be quiet, you know, And everybody's got a chance now and because of that, we have to protect and respect everybody's feelings and thoughts. So it's taken away from the purity of being able to just keep what's special special. You know, it's oversaturated. You know, it's horrible.
Speaker 3: Where did that come from? Though? Like, where did that pivot? Where did that shift happen to? Where like the things that were being done in the nineties that were just funny. I guess when did that become like a thing where that black man sold out if he were addressed to get on you know, I don't know where This boogeyman theory has always existed within the black community about men in dresses when men in drag has always been a staple in comedy from day one, and my whole thing was listen man. Again, Let's let's have it in perspective. First of all, that is a comedic thing.
Speaker 5: And when you look at all the prominent black men in Hollywood, both comedians and dramatic actors, we have far more black men not in dresses than we do. And when you look at I could go down list of Denzel, Sam Jackson, Van Raims, fucking Wesley Snipes, and it's like we've played everything from lawyers, the judges, to cops, the superheroes, loving fathers, loving husbands, everything under the sun. How many of those have been in dresses. None of the dramatic actors. I mean, I know Wesley did Touwongfu, but other than that, yeah, Denzel, this person that they ain't never been in the dress. But even the comedians who have, let's not play this game. It's like, if you're gonna tell me on one end, it's the mean black man. And that's some bullshit. So we now taken the glory away from Jamie Fox Oscar Winners singer, one of the best actors in the game, because y'all loved him when he was Wanda you Love Martin when it was Biblical Mama Paine, the Big Mama series. So do we take the legend of Flip Wilson and throw that away when he was on a show at a time when black people weren't on TV and he gave us a platform where we couldn't be seen. Do we take the iconic status away from Eddie Murphy? You know the clumps Mama Clump resbuseitsche bryor the greatest comedian of all time as the Maid and the toy. So come on, man, let's not do that. And if any of these niggas came to your city to perform, you ain't buying tickets going you going, so stop it, man.
Speaker 3: And everybody you named this is like top tier legendary talent. Yes, like that person would have made it regardless, Yes, yes, and again in perspective, you've seen them in a dress maybe here once or there twice.
Speaker 1: In a movie.
Speaker 5: Look at their body of work. Most of it is not in a dress. So as long as the scales tip a certain way, yo, we can have a little bit of that for comedic purposes. You know, Tyler Perry.
Speaker 1: Motherfucker's a Juggernauts, got.
Speaker 5: A whole studio, helps to employ a lot of black folks, And now we're gonna deny ourselves a piece of a potential pie because he wore a dress.
Speaker 1: It made him who he is.
Speaker 5: Now he can use that money to funnel back into our communities and build us up.
Speaker 1: So what are we fighting?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: You know, it's fucking ridiculous to me.
Speaker 3: Our stand up specials? How do you make stand up special special?
Speaker 1: Nowadays?
Speaker 5: I just think it starts with the talent. If the talent is special, the rest takes care of itself. So, like I like that great quote by jay Z I forget the uh the documentary when he performed at the Garden, the back to the backstage, Yeah, and he said, uh, just getting the boofly they throw a crack at guard and so you know, get on stage, do what you do, and that's gonna take care of everything else. He gave you the talent, so you know, use it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I also say, what makes some special is not giving him out that just anybody.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, You don't give It's.
Speaker 7: Like because I like I like, I do like raw comedy, I do like styles from like back in the day, Like, you know, I do like that, but when it seems like it's too commercial, like for instance, that last piece of that third piece of advice that you said Chris gave me trying not to pisch white people. If you can actually see that in a lot of black specials when they trying and tiptoe around stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't, I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't like that because then it doesn't allow you to be creative. And then what doesn't piss And it's not even just white people, it's all these different you know, communities. Now everything is so since everybody's so sensitive, it's like, because I really, at one point, like I really really want it like a special and I'm not saying I don't now, but it's like, Yo.
Speaker 3: You wanted to be special.
Speaker 7: I wanted to be special, and I don't want to water myself down just to get that.
Speaker 1: Well, I think number one, I don't think you have to.
Speaker 5: You know, I think part of what makes it special too is you ain't got to pump out five specials in a month.
Speaker 1: You know, there's so many of these dudes.
Speaker 5: On Netflix who got like DDN, you just have one, they got another one, And I'm like Jada cooking the bird up. Slow cook it, slow man, you know. Uh, And again this is the genius of Dave. Though of all the specials he put out, the only one I really didn't like a lot was the one in the Belly Room. But all these other ones, I can't remember the name, but he did it at the comedy Store, but it was just him in the belly room.
Speaker 1: But all the other ones, uh, were potent.
Speaker 5: But Dave's a potent motherfucker. But there's so many of these dudes who might not be as potent. But because the opportunity is there, or the money is there, they want.
Speaker 1: To put out these specials, you know.
Speaker 5: And I'm just like I would rather I would say, you know, put out fewer and make sure that the ones you put out of fire.
Speaker 2: Oh but I think they follow with Dave because Dave puts out a couple of specials.
Speaker 4: But Dave, like you said, it's funny.
Speaker 5: But Dave's Dave, and I ain't a whole lot of motherfuckers? Can can you know?
Speaker 1: Rock like that?
Speaker 5: You know, if he was still alive, I said, the only comic who could rival Dave is Patrise. So if Patrice hadn't passed or I.
Speaker 3: Mean I ran into him. I didn't see him on stage, like I knew him from like he used to be on that Vage one show all the time, and like I would hear him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: You saw specials though, right in the room, not in not in full, oh god, elephant in the room, his album Mister p even his half hour Comedy Central special.
Speaker 1: That motherfucker was a monster. I mean, he liked Dave.
Speaker 5: You're gonna say, what the fuck he's gonna say, You're not diluting his comedy cocaine.
Speaker 3: It's pure that what I'm saying. One I remember him saying, I forgot what radio show he was. He was like, one day we're all gonna be working for Patriai. Yeah.
Speaker 5: There are three great quotes about three legendary comics that that I think is the credo that we live by. Uh. George Carlin said, Dave Chappelle said, you don't know what the line is in comedy until you cross it. Dave said, George said, you should know where the line is in comedy and deliberately cross it. And then Patrice said, good comedy leaves half the audience laughing the other half horrified. I think those are both three lines we got to live by, you know, as crazy as Roseanne barr is. I remember I read this one book and I can't remember exactly how she said it, but to paraphrase, she was just like, it is our job and duty to say what the fuck we feel, especially when we know this is a platform where we're supposed to be allowed to do that, and people live vicariously through us, which is why they love comics, because we say what they think and what they feel but they can't. So if that is an escape that people must have, which it is, we got to do our job.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: You know, by the way, I just wanted to always tell you you got some of the most gorgeous lips I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Jesus Christ, I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: You are a guy. I very am. Really, I'm a aries I'm a romantic too. I'm good with it.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 3: It's twenty twenty four. Can you say that without potentially getting canceled?
Speaker 5: You've got some very If there was some dynamite strap to me with a time and I had to say that ship before the time went out, or I would explode, I'd be a dead.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know enough.
Speaker 5: And as a woman, I would think that if I'm trying to do that, your pussy would dry up.
Speaker 1: You know you're supposed to say to get me wet.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say the other think comedy to get back to the era of.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's I don't know if it's to be like like we would go to you would see. I think I think Dave, especially with that special we did about the whole transgender thing, because that was all about the trend. He can lead the way, but in order for that to work, all the other big comics got to get behind that movement. He can't be a solo dude trying to push us forward. But if the bill Birds and the Sarah Silverman's and and Kevin Hart's and the mic Apps, if everybody said fun this within the comic community, we bringing it back of this. No Burt duns, I'm saying. But more than him. You know, Mark couldn't be out there with just him and Reverend Abernathy. You need all the niggas behind that.
Speaker 3: You got the guy like Andrew Schultz. Now, don't give.
Speaker 1: Me Jolts is a beast.
Speaker 3: You know, Schultz is a beast, the Shane Gillis is of the world. Right, don't know that those guys give a fuck. I mean they're white, but right, they don't give it. That also is a key factor that I think those don't give a fuck.
Speaker 5: Calos Miller yeh yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, that there's a small group. Uh, but I'm just saying it's the masses. I feel like that's something we all got to get behind, even if you're not that kind of comic in the name of what we do in this community, how could you not support it.
Speaker 3: You haven't done a specially since what twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Netflix won't fuck with me.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Flex won't fuck with me.
Speaker 3: Is there a reason they have? They told you a reason?
Speaker 5: Just you know again, you know, one thing about Hollywood is uh And this is why I say, you know, no one does self investigation.
Speaker 1: This ship is very high school. You know, clicks, just clicks.
Speaker 5: You know, the gods sit with the gods, the preps, preps, jock jocks, and people don't take the time to go, hey, man, listen, I know what I heard, you know, perception, But let me holler at you, let me let me feel you out myself and then they can go Listen. I don't know what experiences those people had, but the vibe I'm getting, Yo, you're cool.
Speaker 1: Mo fucker. No one does that, and how they go off for what they hear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's also a dig riding business though.
Speaker 1: Well, ditch sucking and ride.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So when you sell out the Hulu theaters and you keep doing these theaters, they'll be knocking at.
Speaker 1: You out and that's listen. I listen.
Speaker 5: I don't give a fuck how it happens, whether I if I can't get through the front, whether I got to go around over under. As long as i'm the roads in the concrete, then I've done my job. So my path and my journey may definitely take longer and be harder, but that don't make it all worth it.
Speaker 1: Once I do what I need to do, get to where I need to get.
Speaker 3: I respect the fact that you got such self awareness because a lot of people forty nine years old, they still be holding on to it's that person's fault and that person listen.
Speaker 5: Let's not get it misconstrued. Some of the shit in this game can can cause you to you know, but I have done some things that I regret. I have done some things. Maybe I suldn't, but it don't take away from the fact that there's still the politics of this. There's still the racism of show business. And maybe and listen again, I started when I was fourteen. I was in Hollywood and was doing Mad TV at twenty two, had done Death Jam with Martin at sixteen, show Time at the Pollowup seventeen for a broke nigga that come from the West Side of New York and Hell's Kitchen to go to Hollywood at seventeen and make a million dollars before I'm twenty one and get network deals and see all of this.
Speaker 1: This business is that'll fuck you up. If you ain't ready, you're supposed to lose your mind.
Speaker 5: They should have a contract. He's going to lose his mind at least one. You gotta This is all new to me. I'm the most successful, you know, richest person in my family. So who prepped me for this? Nobody prepped me and said, hey, I remember Norm Nixon used to be my manager. He was my first manager when I moved out to LA and I remember he took me to Miami and I was probably like, you know, eighteen and I ain't had no money on me, knowing that manager's travel or no, no, no, Norm, Debbie Allen's husband, Oh okay, okay, yeah, And I remember I said Norm, hey, man, let me get ten dollars.
Speaker 1: He goes, WHOA.
Speaker 5: As a man, you don't ever leave your house without money. My father didn't teach me that, but Norm did.
Speaker 1: So it was like again, I had nobody to pull my.
Speaker 5: Coketail and go, hey, hey, you you were in Hollywood and you black don't. So I'm doing everything for the first time on my own. So yeah, I made some mistakes, you know, but it is.
Speaker 3: What it is. Have you ever apologized to anybody? Oh of course, yeah, like Kevin or any of those guy behind it.
Speaker 5: Not Kevin, but Apion and Pharaoh. I said, I said, look, man, if I came off a certain way or made y'all feel a certain way based off of maybe something I didn't say, that I should have said my bad, like I learned with Tony when I messed with him for the first time, I said, Tony, I'm gonna be honest with you. Man. I'm surprised you even had me on because for a long time I didn't even think you liked me, and he goes, dude, I'm gonna be honest with you, it's not that I didn't like you, matter of fact. And he brought up this story that I didn't remember. He goes, we did a gig in Seattle one time, me and you and I forget the other name of the comic. He goes, we all sitting in a limo and the whole time I wanted to talk to you, and I'm like, oh shit, that's Harry Spears. And I said, I never knew you had that kind of respect for me or even liked me, because and we're two New York niggas, so Tony's got his bravado too. But Tony said, dude, I always was a fan, but you always looked so stand offish, and you didn't smile, you didn't really talk to people. Maybe if you saw him, you did that, and that was it. So I kind of just thought you was like most people use that asshole and there was nothing he was basing that off. Like I said something to him. I disrespected them. But that's always been who I've been. I've always just been. When I'm not on stage, I'm quiet, man, I'm very reserved unless I really know you, and then if I know you, we could, you know, turn it up.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I just I don't say much.
Speaker 4: I've always been like that as long as it's always been like the.
Speaker 3: Issue with Avion, like the whole sketch thing.
Speaker 5: No, I just, I just I just again said, because I think in passing I would see a peon and Pharaoh and I would just kind of like.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: Did you have a King of New York mentality like I'm a I'm a rap, like I'm the best rapper?
Speaker 1: A lot like that. He would go to the club and say nothing.
Speaker 3: Everybody's even if they.
Speaker 1: Club.
Speaker 5: And you got to understand something like in the nineties when mad TV was at it, heyday, I'm in my twenties, I'm making good money, I'm famous, and I was in a lot better shape.
Speaker 1: I will slim, trim hands, mass nigga.
Speaker 5: I was getting a lot of pussy be So between all of this coming at me at once, you couldn't tell.
Speaker 1: Me ship I had some brad so but you know, life is you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean, And you still but the crazy party that you say, life is humble you. But it's not like you're doing bad in any way.
Speaker 5: I just you know, I'm just I realized taking a step back, looking going, you could have just stepped different, a little different, you know, may say hello more and engage more, you know, uh, And I wish I had done that.
Speaker 7: But you know, she was like beings a comedy like bean Comedy, Tony Rocks. You never smiled, like another man said, you never.
Speaker 5: Smile at that moment, And everybody in the comments was like, yo, it's dope. How Charlamade is so unbothered like you didn't like, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 6: He's been doing a lot. That's why at least twenty times before man is Beanie Siegull.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh wait, I want to see Beanie turning up a little bit right and let me.
Speaker 5: And it's funny because talking about perception, and I got to ask you because early on, especially the first time I did the Breakfast Club, there was always this pre warning, yo, man, careful Charlamagne, Charlamagne, try to purposely say things to So the first time I came here, I was talking and I was just when try to.
Speaker 1: And you never did because I don't do that.
Speaker 5: And now on the second time, I'm going, well, he's older, I'm older, and I'm still not sensing this perception that you this dude who's gonna purposely.
Speaker 3: Try to It's never been there, like I think like you in a lot of ways, just like honesty, I'm asking honest question right, people react how they want to react to it, but I'm never in purposely like all my disrespect this person, I almost say something to get this person called up.
Speaker 1: Nahr.
Speaker 7: And another thing is he don't like to leave shit alone, like if somebody if he thinks you bullshitting' about an answer to here, asks you again another way.
Speaker 1: See, I respect that, though I.
Speaker 5: Respect that, though you know again I'm direct, you know, and and and and in this pussy era we live in direct honesty confidence. Those are all bad traits. And I never understood that. You know, I love Muhammad Ali to death. You know, I'm handsome, I'm I'm pretty, I'm fast, and I can't possibly be beat. That man made niggas at that time feel like they was worth something, you know. And even though you know we far advanced past that and we know were worth something, I mean, we still.
Speaker 1: Need to hear that, we still need to feel that, believe that.
Speaker 3: So you know, we had my gloup here yesterday and he said he feels like comedy is a dying art form.
Speaker 5: But I know his stance on Dave Chappelle didn't help it, you know, when he came out with that, and I listened comediically, if Dave was a musician, based on his his pace, his awareness, he's Miles Davis and always said, you raw a Carmichael. He has a lot of that same rhythm. He's the lonely and spunk. So I have a lot of respect for Carmichael. But when when When after he came out and then he trash Dave kind of for the for the transgender special, I was like, dude, you you're violating one of the biggest codes in comedy. You're putting your personal ship over the art. You know this badge that we wear called comedy and this oath we've taken that comes before anything, and so you let your personal agenda and feelings come in.
Speaker 1: Front of the cold nigga.
Speaker 3: You don't do that.
Speaker 1: Nah, he was wrong for that.
Speaker 3: He apologized on breath because I gave me an'll get a day for exactly what you said. Because I'm like, if you a comed eventually you're going to say something that's going to offend people, if you're going to do something that's gonna un people wrong, right, and not less than twelve hours, he had the joke that was a slave reality show right about him. What was it? He looked at his boyfriend as a slave master teaching him how to read. You know, we didn't see that one, but he said it didn't. It didn't.
Speaker 4: They only took a part of it and it was like a full on long.
Speaker 3: He said, they try to sexualize it. It don't matter about the setting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I want to watch his show because you know, me and my podcast partner we talk about everything when we were like, you know, and it's comics.
Speaker 1: We're interested to see his take on that. With that show.
Speaker 5: Definitely watch it, watch it in context, listen context. It's extremely important because I remember when Sarah Silverman got in trouble for something regarding like kind of like black face, and of course everybody rah, but contextually when you saw what it was, you I went, it ain't what y'all yelling about. So, you know, and I know sometimes black people, as much as I love my people, we'd be the first to.
Speaker 1: Want to each other. Yeah, and it's just like, slow down, what's the context and go from there. So definitely watch the show.
Speaker 5: I do a joke about where the punchline is basically Doctor King getting assassinated. You know, now, when you hear that first of all, that happened in nineteen sixty eight, you would.
Speaker 1: Think, damn, that's so long ago. What's it?
Speaker 5: But the way I tell it the audience, Oh, but then the way I address it afterwards, and long story short, it's a banger.
Speaker 1: It's a banger.
Speaker 5: So there's a way you can say everything. You know, it's just that's the artist and if you're special, you know how to do that. Anybody don't know how to.
Speaker 4: Do that now, you know.
Speaker 2: Lastly, I know that there was you was in the news about a couple of years ago. I felt like somebody was taking the old footage of you and taking it out of hand.
Speaker 4: Maybe not maybe with you and Tiffany had it. So what happened with that?
Speaker 5: If I can't get into that, you know, I would love to because it's bothering me. Not too because several Vlad appearances, you know, without fail, when you go to the comments, there's the comments Man and Nigga talking about everything.
Speaker 1: But that and I ain't never ran from nothing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So I want to address it, but my lawyer is like, until this thing is finally put to bed, I just can't touch it.
Speaker 2: We understand well, Madison Square Garden, May eighteenth, the Hulu Theater, get your tickets.
Speaker 4: And we appreciate you for join us.
Speaker 5: Brother you and can I also pump my podcast please? Spears in Steinberg available on all streaming platforms. Go to our YouTube channel Spearsburg Pod, hit like and subscribe or slide into my DMS. I'll give you the links, chop it up with you. And as I always say, I know it's a lot of episodes, but start from the beginning. It matters comedically, contextually for characters, callbacks, jokes, and it's like masturbation and potato chips. Once you start, you can't stop. I guarantee you it's blue magic. You're gonna be hooked.
Speaker 4: There you have it. Every spears is the breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Good morning, wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club