Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show, Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Let's give a big shout out to our super producer, Max Encyclopedia Brown Williams, Shamon Lamedinga.
Speaker 2: I am here, Yes you are.
Speaker 1: I am Ben Bullen, joined as always with the Man, the Myth, the Legend, mister Noel Brown, returning from adventures on Distant Shores.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that didn't quite make well, you know, I did you know what I did do? I was I got a lovely tour around foggy, foggy Malibu. I saw Shares House. It was pretty cool, if shrouded in far and I ate fish and chips at a really cool old divy biker hangout called Neptune's Net.
Speaker 1: I love a good fish and chips close to.
Speaker 3: The shore as I got them. But it was a nice time. I got to go to the Magic Castle of an Evening, which I had been once before during the daytime, and which is a kid friendly and it was a hoot. I tipped the player piano and had it play Gangster's Paradise irma the famous Well it's not.
Speaker 1: A player Piano. RMA is a ghost.
Speaker 3: I was actually scolded for calling it a player piano because it is in fact a ghost.
Speaker 1: Arm as a ghost. That was neat. It'll She'll play any song you want for the right price.
Speaker 3: I actually tipped twenty bucks and then got a second request a little later, which was be My Baby by the Ronnets. It was a good time classic follow up to Gangster's Paradise. So I think I used to have a I was.
Speaker 1: Having a lot of weird word adventures. There's a natural segue here. Yeah, we ran into it haunted. I was writing the Worcestershire Research and eventually the term lost all meanings. Smantic saciations when you just say a word repeatedly, no matter what it is, after a certain threshold, it just becomes like a meaningless jumble of sounds in your mouth.
Speaker 3: Oh but you know, you know one way to get over that is pronounce it differently every time.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool, that's a good idea. I mean, that's kind of what we did.
Speaker 3: I think that's why maybe we said it so many times throughout the course of that episode.
Speaker 1: Right, It's funny because you know, we all cook a lot, and so after we recorded that I went, I was, I was prepping to make some dinner stuff and I had to add the Worcester shirt and I thought, how crazy man the English language. This is something we've all accepted. And that's where we go to today's episode. No, there's something you Max and I have been talking about quite often off air and a little bit on air. One of our favorite sources to site is the Encyclopedia Britannica.
Speaker 3: Right, Alas not the hard copies because it's twenty twenty four and those have unfortunately become a relic of the past and now everything's online.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there are fascinating stories about this. This is a little bit of a meta exploration. As a research associate, Max said, we're studying the history of history books and reference works because the Encyclopedia wasn't always around. We can start at the beginning. One of the best sources on the Encyclopedia Britannica is wait for it, can you guess? Is it? The Encyclopedia Britannica nailed it? Nailed it? Hey, so absolutely. It's if we look at the people writing for Encyclopedia Britannic on their self same article, we see three authors Michael Levy, Donald D. Stewart, and Christopher Hardy Wise Kent point out, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That's I mean, I mean that a good positive. That's that's a very powerful name.
Speaker 1: They say this is the Oldish General Language Encyclopedia in English.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, makes sense with a name like that.
Speaker 3: Originally it had a bit of a fancier name spelling at the very least it was the encyclop Pedia, but probably still pronounced pdia. But it's that cool AE hyphen it kind of letter that squishes them together like in a tool album.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yeah, yeah, there's a name for that. It's it's the character. It's the Latin diphthong. That's the one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, is it the schwa? I never really know the diphthong. Well, it diphthong is a type of thing. This is just Latin gliding vowel and hey, uh hot tip pro tip if you're trying to make some cool death metal text in your phone, if you hold down on the letter, it gives you a drop down menu have all of the weird extra versions of that letter. So I think you can get this AE one by holding down on the I would.
Speaker 1: Have it will help you also with till days with accent marks and um lauts.
Speaker 3: If it's a power user trick and not everybody knows it, maybe everybody does know it at this point. But when I learned it, I learned it from my kid, which says something probably, but I thought it was a really cool, cool trick.
Speaker 1: I learned it when I was trying to text one night friends who primarily speak Spanish, and I thought that I had been hacked exactly because I held the E down too long. I was like, wait a second. It's like when you find out a transformer has another function, you know, the transformerschoice. You weren't seeing the final form at all, exactly. And the Encyclopedia Britannica took a while to reach its final form. Was first published in seventeen sixty eight and it started reaching the masses in Edinburgh, Scotland. And since its founding it's been a kind of pro to Wikipedia, much more heavily vetted, but they crowdsource right outside experts and then in house editors.
Speaker 3: Yeah again, I haven't put my hands on a real copy. And we're going to get into the whole history of that and the salesmanship of it all. But what were the citations? Do you guys remember what the citations read like in the physical Encyclopedia Britannicas.
Speaker 4: It would depend on which era, So the earliest stuff would generally only reference the editors, but later on it'd be like, this article is written by this person, but then the editors would edit the entire thing, got it. There was so many different diditions of it too, that it changed a lot throughout the history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you're looking at things like if you're looking for something like the usage case of the linguistic thing, that'll be in there. But you know, we all recognize these articles. It's something like case ADA being a sandwich form from blah blah blah originating from and they've got the etymology or whatever. We don't know. We haven't read the case of DA article, but we do know that in general, throughout its different iterations, the Britannica had one thing in common with every version the entries and almost said entrees. The entries are fact checked, edited and copy edited by those in house editors, and that is all to maintain accuracy and interestingly enough readability. Because you know, we've talked with a lot of subject matter experts, and sometimes they can be a bit a bit esoteric. I was going to say the same thing, man.
Speaker 3: I think the thing that sets Britannica apart from a lot of other kind of deep, divy researched homes is its accessibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I think that's a really good point, Noel. We can also go to the National Library of Scotland. Surprise, the National Library likes to brag about the Encyclopedia Britannica. They call it one of the enduring achievements of the Scottish Enlightenment.
Speaker 3: So to your point, Ben, it was first issued officially in seventeen sixty eight with the sort of shorthand of Britannica, which is very nationalistic. Let's just go right out and see. It's like rural Britannia kind of vibes, you know, which is absolutely cool.
Speaker 1: They should own it and they do.
Speaker 3: It was published by one Colin. Wow, I love it, Colin mcfarquhar. Yes, I think that's right.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's that's good enough for government work. I also like how it sounds like an obscure curse, you know, Well.
Speaker 3: There was a character in the Shrek movies. Remember Lord Farquhar or far Quad. He was Fari was the little fellow with the with the big the musical. It's great because the guy that plays that character just walks around on.
Speaker 1: His knees dances too. He's a he's a dancer full It's a good effect. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then mcfarquhar was a printer, and he also you know, if you're a printer, you need an engraver, And in this case, Andrew Bell came to his aid and the first edition was issued in it was like a weekly, almost like a serie, one hundred weekly parts.
Speaker 1: So you didn't it didn't come right out of the.
Speaker 3: Gate with the massive tome that you once saw before you, at least in terms of the what the door to door sales.
Speaker 1: It was like a really dirty comic book that later got collected in trade edition.
Speaker 3: So it took about three years for the full volume, or at least a full volume to be produced, and when it was completed in seventeen seventy one, it is just three volumes actually, and we know, of course it went on to consist of many more than that. Bell, who had a very fine reputation as an engraver for The Scots magazine, produced all one hundred and sixty copper play illustrations.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Another thing that Britannica is known for having really cool illustrations early on that went on to become really nice full color photographs.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and also have become artifacts of history in their own right. You know. Just I love diving into the incredibly specific copper plates illustrations, the diagrams. The executive editor of Britannica, whom Max has a little bit of a crush on, is quoted in a December thirtieth, twenty eighteen article with CBS News celebrating the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Britannica and this guy, the executive editor tem Pappas. He says Britannica did something unique. It combined long scholarly essays with short, definitional entries and practical information. There was also this is a funny story. In this interview, he says, there was also a third person in addition to mcfauquar and Bell who was responsible for the genesis of this thing, a guy named William Smelli sne Llie. Sorry, Yeah, he was sort of their Tyrian. He was very learned and according to Papas, also had a quote wonderful capacity for drinking.
Speaker 3: Oh and perhaps with an accompanying odor, and perhaps, if nominative determinism is to be believed, right, wonderful he drinks and he knows things, and he's a little bit smelly.
Speaker 1: Then we have three guys. Two of them have no formal training. The one who does have formal training as a man of letters and an editor, is you know, he likes the sauce. He's a pretty saucy boy. So the fact that they were able to actually bring this wildly ambitious work into the real world is pretty fascinating. But they also had, you know, with the benefit of retrospect, we can see that they had some times where they played jazz a little bit. They made some educated guesses.
Speaker 3: Well that's the thing though, And you know, and I hear you, and maybe you could easily look at that and be like, ooh, not necessarily the most highly vetted, most let's just say, illustrious of sources, you know. But I think the fact that it kind of came from curious people is interesting because I mean, that's sort of our whole thing here. Our ridiculous history is we're not what you'd call experts per se, but if anything, we are just professionally curious, and I think that oftentimes leads to some interesting discoveries that maybe might not even be made, or questions that might not even be asked by the more you know academic of types agreed, I am agreed.
Speaker 2: The more smelly of types.
Speaker 1: Indeed, I am a great disciple of an evangelizer for curiosity. It's one of the most amazing parts of the human experience. And so you know, we forgive the foibles we have to. You know, if you read the seventeen sixty eight edition, you see that they've added an extra L to the name of California and gotten some you know, some facts about that a little bit incorrect. They didn't know if it was a peninsula or an island. It's maybe it's easy for people to scoff at that, but I would also ask, where's your encyclopedia? Well, you know, show us your encyclopedia where you wrote one. Oh wait, did you not? You know what I mean? So they these guys also, they're so hungry, they've got such a drive, and curiosity is at the core of their mission, the idea that the world is both understandable and worth understanding. They after they release this thing, they take like a little bit of time off and then they start working on the second edition, which is even more ambitious.
Speaker 3: So I have a question in these days, are these additions alphabetical per volume? Are they covering different source, different subject matter material? Is this meant to be a compendium of all things? Because in my knowledge of the Encyclopedter Britannica from back in the day was that you had your a's and your B and your C and your D.
Speaker 2: They better not have that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So at this point it was like, these are things that we think is important, like people like uh, they had like a I think a thirty page article about smoke, right, how smoke? It was a lot of things, and it was interesting like they had a couple of chapters that were shorter than they would also have like just random writings that weren't titled, that were like longer than chapters, and.
Speaker 1: Just like it was an intrigued scientific thought, philosophical stuff, the nature of famous works of art, you know, they did they were aiming to be as comprehensive as possible, but going into it. They knew that they wouldn't be able to include everything, so it was not as it was not as comprehensive as later versions, and perhaps that's why they so quickly got to make in the second edition. This the first one, like we said, three volumes, the second one ten volumes, nine thousand pages according to the scuttle, but people generally believe the first edition had two three and ninety one pages. So this is explosive growth.
Speaker 3: And surely, despite you know, there may be having been some issues with the facts in some of these first volumes, these are highly sought after collectibles. I can only imagine they're worth a pretty penny.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, yeah, and could you even put a price on owning that that part of history. I'm sure places like Sopha Bees do they tried to do something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we should do the best of their ability.
Speaker 1: We should. Definitely, we should do a history of auction houses. That'd be great.
Speaker 3: That's a really, really good idea. I'm making a mental note of that. Yeah, I'm sure Max is making a physical note of that. That's really cool.
Speaker 1: No, it is.
Speaker 3: You always ask like, how can you put a price on this? Well, somebody can, and it's literally their job and it has been a historical occupation. But no, the second edition is when the editor James Tyler, but with two teas for no good reason. No good reason there, let's just throw a second silent tea in there, just to juz it up a little bit. He joined the family and the second edition went well beyond the aforementioned scope of simply arts and science. They wanted to take it much larger in scope, which is why Smelly whose name will never not give me a chuckle, he didn't care for including biographical material, so he actually opted out of being the editor because he felt like they were going against his particular philosophy of what these volumes should consist.
Speaker 1: Of, right, which is largely what we will call stem knowledge and maybe classical arts. But the idea was, look, I don't want this to fall into I don't want this to be eroded into like meandering jeremiads about tamer Lane or something, and this I'm sorry jeremiads. Yeah, jeremiad is a word for a long complaint.
Speaker 3: That's because like, how are people named jeremiahs supposed to feel about this?
Speaker 1: They know what they did, I guess they do, so it's like a bitter lament. It's it's a sad story.
Speaker 3: I'm adding that to my list of esoteric words to throw around at party.
Speaker 1: Bear me your Jeremiah's. And they're saying, and I just didn't like the live action death note, And yeah, I said, good day.
Speaker 3: Oh, the live action death note was quite bad.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed it, you did, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed parts of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I enjoyed parts of it, I suppose, But overall it just seemed a little a little flabby. And see, mine was the opposite of a Jeremiah, which is a very pithy complaint. The live action death note was quite bad. Moving on, So moving.
Speaker 1: On, James Tyler, whose name may not be a typo. We're not quite sure, because again, yeah t t y l e R we are oh t t y l e R. He's a talk.
Speaker 3: To let's keep going. We don't have to waste quite yet. He's a talk to you later.
Speaker 1: This name may have been a typo. I mean, these are the same people who, not too long ago, at this point spelled California with two l's.
Speaker 3: But he as Anthony Keitas intended, right, he is.
Speaker 1: He doesn't get the best description from the Britannic itself and from the from contemporaries like the Scottish poet Robert Burns, most famous for Burns Day. At the time when the world and nerds hagis, Robert Burns described him as an obscure, tippling, but extraordinary body. And Britannica themselves says this James Tyler guy was a brilliant but penniless polymath, like, hey man, why are you so good at numbers? But you're so broke.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I did really well on the verbal part of the set and not so well on the math.
Speaker 1: So they also in Britannica they note that James T. Tyler was outlawed for printing a seditious handbill and he died in Salem, Massachusetts because of his zene.
Speaker 3: Because but they didn't suspect him of witchcraft or anything. Did The Salem, Massachusetts is just a coincidence. Just edition, Okay, fair enough, just edition. So onward into expanding this volume. This ragtag crew went releasing the third edition between seventeen eighty eight and seventeen ninety seven, upping the number of additions to eighteen and fourteen thousand, five hundred and seventy nine pages. We're that we're quickly approaching what some might call a ponderous tome.
Speaker 1: Do like a ponderous tome? Yeah, this is getting unwieldy, right. This edition is edited by MEFA. Kwar, but he passes away in seventeen ninety three and they have another guy, a clergyman named George Gleig, take over the work. The third edition does something that is enormous for Britannica. They give recognition to the authors who are writing a lot of this. They used to just print a list of publications, right, we got this from you know, our version of Town and Country. But the third edition has a preface where it names the chief contributors.
Speaker 2: This means that you.
Speaker 1: Can see the authors of these things and you also, because copyright law is very different back then, they also still just reprinted stuff that they got from other books.
Speaker 3: So there was a bit a cutt and pa no citation.
Speaker 1: I think they did cite the books. Okay, okay, cool fair news like this is from this is a description of auras from Twilight or whatever. Gotcha.
Speaker 3: This is a reprinting of the Rix to Amber by the seminal nineties rap rock band three.
Speaker 1: Eleven right, right, and at this point Britannica notes that things are taking off. They sold ten thousand copies of the third edition and the profit for the original two creators Bell and mcfaukuhar was forty two thousand pounds. If we want inflation, calculate that we do have the number and a boot hoop boop five million, six hundred and five thousand, nine hundred ninety nine dollars and sixty two cents today.
Speaker 4: With a very large margin of error because going modern day to this period time and changing from pounds to dollars not great.
Speaker 1: It was a lot of money, is what we're saying. These kids, we were basically set for life.
Speaker 3: Except for line. I was about to say, that's borderline retirement money. I would say, depending on your what kind of lifestyle you choose to live.
Speaker 1: That's like for breeze people.
Speaker 3: Surely, I think so, that's I would the excirement right, I think it would be, yes, correct, This is so hard hard to say these days, with the price of eggs going through.
Speaker 1: The price of caviar spoons alone.
Speaker 3: Indeed, the nineteenth century was, of course a time of great growth and expansion throughout the world, you know, in terms of you know, science and technology, and just an exponential movement of ideas and things. Therefore the encyclopedia had to keep up. A big change was with a growing collection of archive writings that were becoming more readily available. Therefore, it took a lot less time to dig all this stuff up right and to write new things, new kind of hot takes. Yeah, because let's keep in mind in these early days, so we're still in the early days. In these early days, these guys weren't you know, googling stuff. They had to go find books, and these books were not in infinite quantities, so you might have to us go find the one library that has the one manuscript that you need because it's the best explanation of you know, gravity or smoke. Right, So this is what they were working with. We want to be very clear. They were doing hard, arduous research, and you know, we can we don't want to get too far in the weeds. But they get the fifth edition in eighteen fifteen, it's a revision. In the fourth edition, they started doing this thing where they would publish corrections and the final volume of a collection when they were still doing it like on weekly disbursements. Then they did the sixth edition, then they did the fifth edition, then they did the you know, it goes the eighth, ninth, tenth, twelfth, thirteenth. By this time we're in you know, we're in the early twentieth century, and unbeknownst to many many people, except possibly some international banking interests, Britannica and every business in the West was about to be a big, big trouble. Yeah, it was inevitable we were going to get there. At the beginning of the nineteen thirties, Britannica, much like everybody else on the planet, fell a victim to the Great Depression.
Speaker 1: We can't afford to a penny candy. How are we going to buy this encyclopedia set? Well, yeah, I mean it just it makes you realize how much it's how easy it is to take for granted the acts of the time, to access and ingest knowledge and to study.
Speaker 3: It's not necessarily a survival pastime, if there are, I don't think any survival things would qualify as pastimes. Those are things that are meant to pass the time. Survival stuff is you know, food, shelter, water, protection from marauding bands of roving cannibals or totally a thing. Yeah, a million percent. So not to mention that to own a book, you know, let alone a massive volume or series of volumes of this kind of stuff, was a very privileged thing to be able to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is. And you know, even if you are a huge, diehard fan of knowledge and reading and learning, when it comes down to being able to either buy food or water versus buying a book, most people worse, come to worse, are going to have to buy the food or water. It's an excellent point. The publisher at the time resigns. Nineteen thirty two, the vice president of Sears, a guy named Elkin Harrison Powell check out our series episode, is chosen to replace him, even though he has no publishing experience, and Powell brings something new to the game. He says, We're going to do direct sales. Yes, direct sales, door to door, door to door, encyclopedia salesman. I gotta tell you, I am so happy, you guys. Never you guys didn't see a lot of my on stage sketch comedy. One of the dumbest sketches I ever wrote was door to door door salesman. So it's a guy who goes door to door selling doors.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I mean there could you can make a case for a door being in disrepair perhaps, you know, and say, boy, do I have a solution for you.
Speaker 1: It might be it might be good.
Speaker 3: If he added doors and door accessories, though I think it goes so.
Speaker 1: Far off the rails. He also sells doors themed doors, like Jim Morrison, so he's door to door doors door salesman, and that's fun.
Speaker 3: I have to say, though, you know, we we really do think of this as kind of the golden age of the Encyclopedia Britannic of simply by virtue of the fact that most people, even if they don't really remember this time, which we don't directly, it became I think more mail order or you know, like a phone number over a.
Speaker 1: Blue screen on TV. Maybe when we were younger.
Speaker 3: The idea of the traveling salesmen, you know, or the vacuum cleaner salesman who would do a demo for you, or you know, the encyclopedia salesman. It's such a golden kind of image of like Americana, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, it's it's difficult to overstate just how common door to door sales were, you know, and some of these things continue today. But I think it's safe to say in many parts of the United States, an unannounced visitor at your front door, especially a stranger, is not welcome, even people they know. I would assume that. I think we would all assume something was up if one of us just showed up at the other one's house unannounced. Because we can text each other, we could do a phone call. If even if I get a phone call, I'm concerned. I assume someone has died, right a phone call. If you showed up at my I mean, I have you guys back. But if either of you showed up at my house unannounced, I would be like, get the fuckin, turn off your phone. Are the cops involved yet? Exactly? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Where where do we need to? Where's the body?
Speaker 1: Where are we going? I'm pulling up the Delta app now? Or are we just going off the grid? Exactly?
Speaker 3: But you know, it makes sense though that the Seers guy sort of spearheaded this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sears also is famous for their catalog and kind of creating this image of exactly what I was just describing. That kind of American dream sort of bliss, you know, the hell they had like a whole house kit that you could buy and build the symbol yourself.
Speaker 1: I would say. There's also another great contribution the Powell makes to the Britannica. He says, look, we are going to engage in continual revision. So instead of completely resetting additions at long intervals, they're going to print a new version of the encyclopedia every year, and with each printing they're going to assume that some percentage of material is going to need to be updated, or they're going to need to add a new suddenly relevant a piece of content, and everything else is just going to be reviewed annually until it's time to revise it, like new countries or something.
Speaker 3: Well, so were people I mean, I guess maybe if you were wealthy enough you could afford it. Were people like buying entirely new sets every year. I don't think so I couldn't have I mean addition, Yeah, but even then, like you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like institutions are buying this and people are going to those libraries.
Speaker 3: It is probably that's a good point. They had to have a lot of business from those kinds of institutions. You're absolutely right, But he's got to wonder, like, what's the business model here? It seems like the kind of thing where you sell it once and then it's sort of like we were not going to buy another set of encyclopedias.
Speaker 1: Ah, this is where they get to something what a great setup. This is where they get to something even cooler. So now they have they have created some new problems trying to fix the existing problems. So now they have to require now they need a full time, permanent staff of professional editors instead of people who are you know, like three beers in and say yeah, man, i'll do it. I'll write about Croatia like the early days. So they started, they hit the same So they've got to hire these guys full time, these people full time, and then they reach this other problem I think you outlined quite well, which is we know that folks don't have a ton of disposable income to just always spend on encyclopedias. So we have to stay relevant, right, And that's where they come up with a group of unsung heroes. The answer girls, No boy, but yeah, it didn't age perfectly. But they were this crack team of women who would you. If you owned Encyclopedia Britannica, you could reach out to the Answer Girls. They would research and answer any question you might have. So you could send them a postcard, attach a stamp and ail it to them and they would type a detailed report of up to ten thousand words.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bulk at that. For some reason in my mind, I was picturing them as being like dressed as like Vegas showgirls or something, and just had being sort of like a problem. Look women with knowledge, what a novel idea? And they're lookers too, you know, So my mistake. That's actually pretty interesting. So this came essentially with your I guess there wasn't a subscription per se, but you you had access to this without having to pay like a per use fee or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you just well you had to pay for the stamp. But I stand. I thought that was a really cool answer, you know, to the The Answer Girls are great answer to that question. And these changes also are reflected in the fourteenth edition. This one differs because it is constructed differently in terms of its structure and it has a different scoop. This means they're a lot more editors, fifty associate editors in London and New York all told. They kind of have an area of expertise on specific subjects, and then they have staffs and offices that coordinate everything to keep people from writing the same article twice or something like that. And they are not able to really remake the encyclopedia until everybody gets through first the Great Depression and then World War Two. So it's like the nineteen after the nineteen fifties that they say, let's try to judge it back up. Well, that's right.
Speaker 3: It wasn't until the mid nineteen fifties, You're right that this sustained effort to kind of reinvent the wheel here began, and it happened to coincide with Encyclopedia Britannica's two hundred birthday in nineteen sixty eight, which was when this task had kind of been completed. The encyclopedia had a lot less old material in it, probably than ever before in its entire history. Fast forward to the nineteen eighties, with the advent of a lot more access to digital editions of technology obviously had improved significantly. The Internet was very much the twinkle of it had begun, right, if not the actual Worldwide Web, we wouldn't really see reach the public until the nineties. The nineteen eighties did see the development and spread of the PC and disc technology, which was of course, you guys raally remember this definitely a precursor to the Internet, where you could get things that were, you know, a lot of information that was crammed onto a single disc or a set of discs that would take up way less space than a massive series of books.
Speaker 1: Of bound books.
Speaker 3: So while it wasn't access to everything, which is the click of a mouse, it was a pretty significant step forward.
Speaker 1: Oh no kidding, I remember I had a couple of editions of these growing up. There was the two disc CD that had illustrations and photos, so kind of kind of just a digitized version of the original thing, but a little bit easier to search. But then the next edition a few years later had video and animation and even audio clips, which was a big deal back in nineteen ninety seven. Oh man, I'm not so old and this At first they were charging like the same price for these CD sets that they would charge for the physical copies, but overall the price plummets across time and sometime in like the I guess late nineteen nineties or so, Britannica releases their website eb dot com. It's a subscription service where you can digitally use the encyclopedia. Who signs up for online subscriptions, you might be asking yourself because they're not as common today outside of like streaming platforms, right, Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess that's you know, that's funny. You said that out loud, and I was like, I've got a bunch, but but they are largely video or music streaming services. I don't necessarily subscribe to any database, but but you do have you can subscribe to like Lexus, Nexus and and things like that, But don't you also have to be from a representative of an institution or some bona fides like we could get into the newspapers or newspapers you have, man, people bulk at those, oh dude, And they really do. And I've certainly signed up for a few here and there because we use them all the time. But uh, it's only human to try to get as many free articles as you can before they block you out behind that paywall and then it resets.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I do wonder about that. I always wanted. You know, in my family there were a couple of sets of of OED but as well the Encyclopedia Britannica. And the thing is they're just so they're they're prestigious and it's beautiful and it is a phone knowledge, but they're so cumbersome. Man. Yeah, it's it's a lot to move around, like I I has the main reason I hesitate to move. You've been to my house before. I have a lot of books, dude, and it's like it's always a culling period when it's time to time to move. So maybe the CD is the less sexy but for the time more efficient. Answer.
Speaker 3: Well, it's interesting too because I don't have nearly as many books as you do. I have some, but I have quite a lot of instrument piece and instruments, but I have I guess my my eggs. My comparison here is with you know, I subscribe to different streaming services, but I also buy a lot of physical albums and that's because those are the ones that I want if the Internet explodes, if the streaming services go bust. Also the ones that I want those artists to actually get decently paid for, because we all know that artists and surely writers aren't getting nearly as much money for streamed or digitally accessed content. So but I also know I like having the physical copy of an album that I really want to listen to from front to back and have the full color art and all that stuff, and I think that applies to physical books as well.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Agreed, you know. And also I'm still paranoid from one of the very first books that was issued through I think Kindle or something. It was nineteen eighty four. People purchased it and then due to a rights disagreement, it was pulled from their kindles. So I don't feel like you really own something unless you have the tangible artifact of it. Oh, we know that to be true.
Speaker 3: Like, for example, I think it was with PlayStation there was something with PlayStation Network where if you bought a you know, I think it was to do with the Warner brother acquisition, you know, by discovery that if you had quote unquote bought some of these HBO shows or whatever it was, some HBO content or something involved in the merger, they changed the nature of those rights and the way that stuff worked, and you really didn't own.
Speaker 1: That stuff at all.
Speaker 3: And a lot of that stuff just vanish and it was like, well, we've got your money and you didn't read the fine print.
Speaker 1: So I completely agree with you.
Speaker 3: I don't believe that I own anything unless I have it in physical form.
Speaker 1: Yeah, possession nine tenths. So we know that Britannic is still around today. It had a lot of recent news as we get closer to the modern the modern times. In nineteen ninety six, Britannic is sold to a financia named Jacob E. Saffra, and he really leads a restructuring all Britannica overall as company, as an institution, as an enterprise. The sales of the print encyclopedia naturally are declining, the sales force the door to door encyclopedias. They get disbanded in nine ninety nine. They launch a different site, britannica dot com. It is free. It also has subject channels. Currently that's the one we use largely.
Speaker 3: If we're citing it, we're citing something that we've found there, right, right.
Speaker 4: The truth of the matter is the two things eventually like they basically did the fusion dance and became.
Speaker 1: One right exactly, and they also it was so popular when it came out that several times it crashed because too many people were too curious. You know, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: I mean, curiosity is such an important facet of being a human and it is also literally our bread and butter. So I hope people never stop being curious because it is kind of what pays our.
Speaker 1: Bills and gives us a reason to get up in the morning. Is we don't do this stuff just for money.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're genuinely curious people, which is I think what has allowed us to do okay in this in this field, our group text.
Speaker 1: Are so weird, you guys. I think they're interesting. I think they're interesting.
Speaker 2: But you guys.
Speaker 1: Ever comes it on my new game purchase, by the way, was it was a Marrow Wind.
Speaker 4: Which I made sure to get off of the streaming source that I bought it from and onto my PC because of your port earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was when I say I'm back. Was that pre elder scrolls or posts?
Speaker 2: It's older scrolls three?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's in the franchise and it's back when they were Oh man, I enjoy that one, but I kind of hate enjoy it, if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I'm looking forward to when, like I'm moving up. Daggerfall had to put down because it's just so holding. It's really just brutally boring. Yeah, but uh, I'm kind of looking forward to oblivion. They have D and D dice rolls on your attacks and more. When I found a mod that turned that off, and I'm like, thank god. Basically, you know, if you swung get somebody, there's a chance you hit. Even if you're swinging right out them.
Speaker 1: They're like, maybe you hit. And I do kind of like that turn based combat, like you know, that's.
Speaker 2: It's not it's not turn based, it's not even not no.
Speaker 1: It's just it's rolling the dice. And then so you could end up wiping several times no matter what.
Speaker 2: And then you get killed by a mud crab.
Speaker 1: Boulders Gate three. Let me just prostly that's what I heard. I was about to ask.
Speaker 3: Seems alley too much, it's too much fun. I'm still back in in in Skyrim Land. I've been away for a while, i haven't had access to it. I'm looking forward to jumping back in and watching the new Fallout series, which I think kicks. But it was amazing, really making me want to just play Fallout UH New Vegas. I was also just out in Vegas, so be fun to see. I stopped by Prim on the way to UH to Joshua Tree. Some of the cities are real and like the roadside Dinosaurs. But the first one that really reinvigorated that was just what Fallout three? Yeah or three? That was the one that the two was still kind of top down three. Wait, no, three is one Bethesa had Bethesda bought it after two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it changed it around.
Speaker 1: So that's when it really starts being the one we know in love. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They used a lot of the stuff they had built out for more.
Speaker 1: It's like the UH Encyclopedia Britannica. A lot of it is why not? Why wouldn't it be? Why is any We will not allow anything to be beyond compare we We're okidding though, really quickly though, we talked about, you know, how valuable a physical copy of the first edition might be, and we let's see if we can find one first.
Speaker 3: Edition uh in Cyclopedia Britannica. While I'm googling that though, whether or not you can put your hands on one and or you have one it's worth a bundle. You can't access it online and see how how it's aged and.
Speaker 4: Ald to correct myself from earlier, Yeah, it's a A through Z.
Speaker 1: It is, but it's an incomplete A through Z. And the very first thing like they they alphabetize their entries, but they know they're not getting to everything right, so there are countries they know exists that they don't include in there. Things like that in the first edition five and you can you can see this real you can read the first edition free digitally exactly.
Speaker 3: I do want to just drop this in the chat guys real quick so you can take a look. Because we were how we talked about it was almost like a comic book for super nerds, because comic books are already for nerds. These look at the way these these are put together. They're in these boxes like a freaking graphic novel compendium that you might buy, and each of these individual volumes is about the size of a graphic novel. And here on AbeBooks dot com you can get a first edition let's see two slightly incomplete sets bound in one hundred and seven volumes for thirty five hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Which is honestly lower than I thought it would be. It's way lower than I thought, but I just wanted to give a frame of purpose.
Speaker 3: I imagine that a complete set would be maybe not exponentially, but probably quite a bit more valuable.
Speaker 1: Look at the way they wrote it, though, two relatively incomplete sets. So are they saying that there's a Venn diagram of missing books because it's two sets? Are they both missing the same books? Who was stolen? Volume seven?
Speaker 3: I thinker than others. They're not all of uniform length like they're They're kind of all over the place. And I'm sorry, I look as i'm zooming in, I'm realizing these are just in kind of like those office move boxes. Is kind of crazy. These were not bound and sold the case. Yeah no, but it's still pretty cool, man. Like some of these are really thin, like what was in this one over here on the far right. It looks like it's literally like a single article like bound. It's realiant.
Speaker 1: It's that's the one about farts modulance, which you know naturally.
Speaker 4: They they expand, they expand that volad over time.
Speaker 1: This is a great way to end our exploration today, folks. We have a great Ridiculous Historian Award to give to our friend A. J. Bahama's Jacobs, who has reputedly read the Encyclopedia Britannica in its entirety. I remember talking with him about this.
Speaker 3: Pretty sure he's also read the Bible in its entirety at the very least the Old Testaments constitutions. Well, that's like the least impressive of the three things. We just no, no, no, no, it's true. Yeah, and again we need to we need we needed that. We're actually probably going to see him relatively soon, so we need to quiz Hi a little bit about which edition are we talking here, and what were your impressions overall?
Speaker 1: I feel like I talked with him about that at some point. Uh. And he's such a humble guy, folks. We can't say enough good stuff about Bahamas. So check out his show The Puzzler. He's got a book coming out that will have him back on to talk about it. But he's actually yeah, the Year of Living Constitutionally also check out.
Speaker 3: I think we're going to have him on for a sort of constitutionally themed episode.
Speaker 1: Oh he knows so much weird stuff now, it's so cool. I really like that guy. And I got into him because of the year of living biblically, which absolutely slaps as well. Uh but yes, big big things to mister A. J. Bahamas Jacob's big big thing Jonathan Strickland aka the Twister.
Speaker 3: I like Jonathan Strickland too. We give him a lot of crap. We sort of couched him as this sort of villain in our universe, but we like spending time with Jonathan too. I don't want his feelings started thinking that he play a shinier, newer puzzle related person behind this.
Speaker 1: Very nice and I'm glad. I think it's an important point for us to make. But peek behind the curtain. It was Jonathan's idea to be the bad guy for this show, and he wanted to be a heel, always been and that's the phrase he used. So he is our number one heel. We don't need to Achilles heel. We got quister heel huge days.
Speaker 3: Alex Williams, who composed this theme, christopherraciota Is and he Eves Jeff Coates here in spirit Max. I'll thank you again, Ben already did sorry we last do so many of these, I can't recall. You're awesome and this is a great episode. Thank you so much for the crack research and Ben, thanks to you as well.
Speaker 1: I'm glad to be back. By the way, I'm glad this didn't turn into a jeremiahed against encyclopedias. We'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.