Speaker 1: It's only fifteen to ten touched up.
Speaker 2: Such. All right, guys, we're getting closer. Welcome into a brand new episode of Chargers Weekly. We're about a week from the twenty twenty four NFL Draft and as always, joined by Matt Muddy Smith. Buddy, I think the people have heard enough of us over the last couple of weeks. Why don't you introduce a friend of the show to our listeners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is our fan appreciation episode. If you will, the amount of incoming for suggesting. It could be O line, it could be Byron Murphy. Maybe it's the first corner. Could it be an edge? All of those things will be put, will be put. We'll put a pin in it for today because Matt Harmon does as good of a job as anyone. When it comes draft time and you want to talk about wide receivers, that is what this pod is going to be going into the draft on a twenty fifth in the first round, the number five overall pick. All we're gonna do is talk wide receivers. It's reception perception dot com. UH follow him on all the social media channels. Again, there is no better wide receiver resource you can get, and UH, you know think about this because the three of us work together at NFL Network at NFL dot Com. It's it's like all your favorite bands, may they stay together forever. And that's what this is right here. You reunion of sorts, Matt. So thanks for a liit man. We appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Well, so many things to say. I mean literally, I have the record all your favorite bands by.
Speaker 3: Don I think I didn't notice there, but this this guy, I mean, he is an outflute pro over here.
Speaker 4: That's the first thing. It's great to see both you guys. It's awesome to talk to you, especially about this particular topic because listen, I I often push back sometimes when people say about your favorite you know, TV series, your favorite movie or whatever, like, oh, this storyline, it's just fans service, Okay, they're just well, what are we doing if not servicing the fans here? So yeah, I have seen the Chargers. Fans are dead set. There's no way because every NFL draft is so predictable and always goes to plan. There's just no way that they're not coming away with one of these top wide receivers. So let's service the fans. Let's talk about this position that they're very very invested in for good reason.
Speaker 3: Muddy kick it off. Well, I'll start with this Matt who's your favorite? Because they may have their picks, It's very possible that Arizona trades out at four. That maybe if if the scenario is we've got four quarterbacks, the Chargers decide to stick and pick at number five, which guy do you like best?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So my mission statement with this draft class is that I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these three top prospects. To me, it's a clear cut, clear cut group of three here at the top in Tier one. All of those guys, in terms of my stacked prospect board from the last four classes, they are all tier one prospects. Marvin Harrison, Roma Dunza, and Malik Nate. They're guys you can take in the top ten. I think they're guys that are ready to be superstar receivers. They're ready to start from day one and handle a high amount of volume. So, because we know how this goes, we have to debate everything. Everything has to be a debate. Everybody's got to have hot takes. In my personal opinion, like, hey, you like this guy with this guy that's totally fine. You like this guy or the other, totally fine too. I think a lot of it just comes down to what you value at the position, and me what I value at the position is I have an appreciation for all traits, and I have an appreciation for all abilities. But for me, if you can be a guy that can run out day one and play as a high quality, high target earning X receiver because of your ability to run routes with refinement, your ability to separate at all three levels, and also can make plays in tight coverage, That's what I'm going to value. So ultimately I came away with Marvin Harrison Junior as my top ranked receiver in this draft class. It was, i will say, a very close debate between him and Roman Dunsay, just because I love a Dunza's film. I think he is just a fantastic prospect for so many different reasons. But the ultimate tie breaker for me, if like if the Chargers were hiring me as a consultant to what would you do here? I would go Harrison, especially with this quarterback and this offense and everything, because I think Justin Herbert is so ready to elevate a prospect like this is ready to work with the top tier separation X receiver like Marvin Harrison. And because this is a guy that everybody has known he's the dude for multiple years, you see defenses treat him the way that he will likely be treated if he develops into a high tier alpha at the NFL level. In terms of the guys I've charted just prospect history and reception perception, he has handled the most double coverage by a wide margin. In this draft class alone. He's handled more double coverage like two times the amount of double coverage and a guy like Roma Dunze or Malik Neighbors. And some of that comes down to the offense they played in, the quarterbacks they play with, and the surrounding talent and stuff like that. But he not only has that high rate of double coverage, also in terms of anybody that's even eight percent and above, his success rate is the highest. So this is the guy that gets open regardless of the coverage. I just can't say enough good things about him as a player. So ultimately, if the decision was me and you have your pick of them all at five, I would go with Harrison.
Speaker 2: So but the reason why, obviously Chargers fans are really high on talking about a wide receiver at five or early is because Keenan Allen and Mike Williams are no longer with the team. But as Money as stated, there's a lot of holes on this roster. And if you can trade back and a crew more picks and you know, get a corner or get a defensive tackle or you know, continue to show up the offensive line, that's a route that I think a lot of Charger fans can also see. But if they do stick and pick, let's say a guy like Marvin Harrison, how will he help the running game? Because right now it's Joshua Palmer and Quinton Johnson on the outside. To have a guy and you talked about just just commanding double teams, how can one of these big three help a Jim Harball offense in a running game specifically?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 4: And it's funny because I feel like Greg Roman and Jim Harbaugh and these guys talking about, like imagine Justin Herbert with a with a good run game, It's almost become like a trigger word for people on the outside.
Speaker 1: Like what are we talking about?
Speaker 4: Like we need to put a bit receivers and stuff like that. And look like I hosted a podcast with Austin Eckler for the last two years. Yeah, and despite all of the production that Eckler had, even he would come on the podcast sometimes and voices frustrations about the run game, and like, some of that's him, some of that is the players around him. Even if he's not, He's never gonna sit there and say like, oh yeah this, I'll go ahead and say they've had a rough job like blocking with tight ends and stuff like that the last couple of years. So there's a lot that can go into fixing the run game beyond just let's get a running back and like let's you know, let's build up the offensive line or have a good system in place. You're right, Chris at the wide receivers can be a part of this equation. Like think about some of the best run games in the NFL. They're not only just good quality units overall, they can throw a lot at you from a scheme respective Like I think about the way San Francisco varies up their their man and gap scheme versus also their own zone scheme runs. That's that's a huge part of it. But also it's because they put you in a buying from a passing game standpoint. You know, if you have a guy on the outside who can dictate coverages, well that's one extra defender you can't bring down in the box to defend the run game. And then no, by the way, if we're getting into positive down and down in distant situations with the run game on early downs, well then we're looking at more favorable situations on third now where we can throw the ball to this high tier X receiver or whoever they end up taking. So to me, it's it all works together if you can get that guy on the outside that threatens defenses vertically even and obviously if you take one of these guys at five, they're going to be a high target earning player. But even if you can get somebody, they don't take somebody at five, They take somebody in the second, third round, someone to clear out the field. That can bring a whole new dimension to your offense. Because, in my opinion, watching the Chargers of the last few years they had, you know, people were paying attention to the run game. For sure, they're dedicating extra resources to consider that run game, but also they never had a real deep threat there either, Like you have Mike Williams, who's a deep threat, but he's a contested catch deep threat. He's not like a vertical speed type of player, so you're you're dedicating eyes towards him. But it's just different when it's someone that you know, can you know cut cut you down in one strike? Really, So I think they've suffered with like a a high concentrated line of scrimmage passing game, a short passing game, and also kind of an inefficient run game. This coach's clearly looking to fix both of those problems with hopefully a few strokes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, if we can, And I think it's fair. Look, a lot of the people listening may may feel like we're talking down to them. But when I say this, but no, just what it's there's nothing wrong with with walking through you say X, there's Z, there's slot when it comes to and this is where I'm at with it, Dunes And I've said it a million times. I'm biased, I get it. I'm a West Coast guy. I love Pac twelve football. I watched him play a Bishop Gorman and destroy people in high school. I'm a big and I just love the way he went through the process. While I'm going to the combine. Hey man, I don't care about Molik Neighbors and Marvin Harrison. I want to measure myself against the greatest receivers that have ever done these drills. There's just there's a presence to him. There's something that I think he brings that may be beyond just what he does on the field. And he's incredible on the field. But you said X, and to me, Matt, I think about the wide receiver room. I'm a big Josh Palmer guy. I think they got to figure out how to maximize Quinton Johnson, and that means where you play him and where you don't play him. So the whole Neighbors debate, do you think Neighbors is an X or do you think you're gonna be more likely to play him at a ze or really a slot. Like that's kind of where that whole debate comes in for me. If Harrison is off the board and everybody's streaming about Neighbors because the film is so freaking fun to watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's the easiest player to love. Like you turn on three or four plays, you're like, uh, yeah, I get it. He's faster than everybody else on the field, he breaks angles and ankles. Really, he's just a tremendous player to watch. He's, like I said, easy to love. I do agree with you though that it's a difficult projection. It's not a difficult projection x I shouldn't put it that way. But it's just it's the least clean of these three because you see these other two guys, Marvin Harrison and Roma Dunsay, and I share your affection with Roma Dunsa as a now East Coast guy.
Speaker 1: I'm not biased, right, I don't know.
Speaker 4: So I think a Dunza is just like ready to hit the NFL field and be good right away. I think he has a really high floor. I also think he has a really high ceiling. For Yahoo this year, I did a video series with another former NFL or Dylan Milner, working with us now. So just let's keep the reunion, let go and yeah we put we put us a little series together where I did aggressive and cautious comps. My cautious comp for Romadunza was Alan Robinson, like a good quality starting X receiver who's a better route runner, a better separator than credited, but can also win in those contested catch situations, and again that's being cautious. My aggressive comp for Romadunza was DeVante Adams, a guy that has really no holes in his game, a fantastic technician, catches everything can Also, you know he's not going to give you the Molik Neighbors after catch plays, but he's gonna break a few tackles and get some extra yardage and be an asset like a guy that at his peak, you can funnel thirty percent of your offense through that guy and never lose a minute of sleep. Like that's who I think the ceiling comparison is for Roma Dunsay, but with Neighbors. And why I just ended up having him three of this group is just because he did play out of the slot the most in his perception perception sample, fifty point three percent of his snaps in the slot off the ball. Now he shows you the skills to win against press coverage. Not at the level of the other three players, but like a seventy two percent success rate versus press and reception perception. That's pretty good for a college prospect. That's again not the level of Harrison, not the level of Roma Dunze, but it's pretty good in something I think you can build a foundation on. But if we're talking about at the end of the rookie season for these three guys, he is the least developed player of the three. I wouldn't be surprised because I think he's the least developed player right now today. So if you're looking at a player you need to sort of like massage his role a little bit, Well, you kind of already have that guy in Quentin Johnson, And like I don't I like Josh Palmer as a three. I think that's ideally what he should be. But right now he's the best receiver, most accomplished receiver on the roster. Is he best suited as the X receiver? I'm not sure so just for that team alone, Like he certainly would create explosive plays, and justin Herbert, we be able to spray the ball over the field with the guy like Elie Neighbors and that sort of vertical ability. But I see where you're saying there. From a deployment perspective, he presents the most questions, Harved.
Speaker 2: We hear so much about how deep the class is, but we continue to talk about these big three that would likely go in the top ten and money. I had this discussion last week, the gap between the top three and the rest of the guys, Brian Thomas, Lad McConkey, There's like a host of guys that you can see in like the mid to late first round, early second round. How big is that gap between the top three and the rest of the crop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm boring, and I have Brian Thomas as my wide receiver four just like consensus does. And I actually think that there is a gap from those three to Brian Thomas. Like I said, those three guys in terms of my stacked board from the last four classes, they're all Tier one prospects up there with the Garrett Wilson's, the Jamar Chases, the Chris O Laves, the DeVante Smiths, et cetera, et cetera. Other names in there as well, Like they're clearly in that tier. I think Brian Thomas is a tier down from those players. He would have been if he was in last year's draft class, for example, he would have been in consideration to be the top prospect in last year's class, just based on how I have these guys graded.
Speaker 1: But then I.
Speaker 4: Also think there's a little bit of a drop off from Brian Thomas, who's not a perfect projection. He's a guy that I think, yeah, you only ran free routes really in college, but that's okay because sixty seven percent of his routes slant curl or go route. If you look at DK Metcalf's rookie season, sixty percent of his routes were slant curl go routes, So you can work around that. But I do think he's a guy that isn't ready to hit the field and be a day one kind of starting, high volume receiver.
Speaker 1: I'd love to see.
Speaker 4: Him land on a team like the Colts or the Cowboys, even the Jaguars a little bit like a guy that you have, you know, for those three spots. You got Michael Pittman, you got See Lamb, you got Christian Kirk, you have a high volume player already, and like you can kind of ease Brian Thomas in as you're starting outside receiver. The next guys after that I think are all sort of late Round one, early round two type of players. But I like those those players a lot, and again, those guys are going to be similarly graded to the players that went in the first round of last year's draft class, Like I have the Ricky Piersoll's, the Lad mcconkey's, the eighty Mitchells. Those guys are all kind of in the same bucket of prospects to me as Jordan Addison, as Quentin Johnson where he went last year with Zay Flowers. Now Jay Flower is my favorite of that group. But again, I think that kind of gives you a sort of sense of how I view those players and where they stack up.
Speaker 3: But you know, with reception perception, you've been doing it so long, Matt, You've got the historical context, how for or your top you know, what you rated as your top receiver or these like high first rounders, there's a very low bust factor when you're taking a receiver high. Now there are there's a bus factor when you're taking them a little bit later, yea, And there's a bus factor in the second round. But from what you've noticed, how often has your like what I'm thinking, what I'm getting at here is you can't miss. If you're stuck at five, you can't miss. You know, what do you think is a bust factor in terms of one of these three Like we see with quarterbacks, every year, Hey, you know one of them is not going to make it. Before go in the top four, at least one of them is not going to make it. Is that your experience with receivers that you've charted, when you have them projected this high, like the number one, two or three receiver in a class.
Speaker 4: The Tier one receivers, No, Like, I think there's a really high floor with those players. I kind of honestly kind of compare this class a little bit with the twenty twenty two class because I gave Tier one grades to all three of Chris Olave, Drake London, and Garrett Wilson in that order. I actually think that if you could like kind of map those street players, so the guys in this year's class, Like, I think Marvin Harrison is a better version of Drake London, but he's kind of like Drake London perimeter receiver that can separate and a little underrated like as a separator, really high quality technician, but again, Marvin Harrison is a better version of Drake London. And then I think like Chris Olave is sort of the Roma Dunze, but Roma Dunze is like the souped up version of Chris o'lave. He's bigger, he's better and contest the situations, and he's a better yak threat.
Speaker 1: But again, like a technician that.
Speaker 4: Was in school for four years, so some of the production models aren't going to really like him. But I gave good Garrett Wilson and Elik Neighbors pretty similar marks coming out of school. But by the end of Garrettilson's rookie season, I was like, shoot, that's the best That's the best player of the three because he can beat press coverage. And I think that's the key with these guys is can you put them in the right position to kind of help them grow a little bit, because like people, we don't remember this because the offense really the last year and a half has just been Garrett Wilson's our outside receiver, and like we just they finally drilled it into Zach Wilson's brain. Throw to that guy, like no matter what, this situation whatever, Like he's your first rate. If your eyes come off of him, you're gonna be in trouble. Which is a condemnation of both Zach Wilson, the coaching staff, and the surrounding players.
Speaker 1: Beyond Garret Wilson that roster.
Speaker 4: But Wilson was playing a lot in the slot early on in his first little like showing with the Jets there in the first half the season, and I think that he's told me like that actually helped him get really comfortable to the NFL game. So I think as long as you work with these players, it's pretty hard for them to bust there. But you're right, though, once we get past that Tier one there's a lot of players that I've put there, you know. And some of these guys are They've had injuries like Rashad Bateman, They've had a weird career path like a shoot Jamison Williams probably had some of the weirdest start to a career for any prospect the last four years, wide receiver or otherwise, you know. But I like Elijah mor As a clear first round pick. He has developed into an okay, but not a difference making player. So the bust factor certainly goes up the farther you get down the board. But in my personal opinion, these guys that are Tier one, top ten receiver picks, like I do, think the floor is very high for those place. Maybe Chargers fans listening to this and like Drake London, Like, I mean, that's not that exciting if he becomes Drake London. But I think Drake Lundon has been a good player.
Speaker 1: Who was thrown on the ball. Yeah, it's been the very victim of circumstance.
Speaker 4: You're obviously not going to have that happen here in La with Jo with Justin Herbert there.
Speaker 2: So, Matt last April, we knew this was coming. We knew the cap numbers of Mike Williamson, Keenan Allen, and the Chargers selected Quinton Johnston in the twenties, and you know, the hope was to enter twenty twenty four with him being a wide receiver one or two type player. It hasn't necessarily gotten to that point yet. And you know he had a great training camp and struggled a little bit throughout the season. What did you see from Quinton coming out of TCU and what did you see last year? And this is kind of like a three part question. What can be different in year two with a new coaching staff and just kind of learning from his rookie season.
Speaker 4: So I'll answer the second question first here, which is not a lot of good stuff from his rookie season. You know, I do a mid season rookie report for all of the rookies on reception Perception dot com us. He comes out about early November, where I'm charting these guys again from a route running perspective for people who aren't familiar with perception perception. This is isolated from quarterback plays, So I'm just looking at the wide receivers and whether they're getting opened against press, man's zone coverage across the route tree, et cetera. And Quentin Johnson. In terms of that mid season sample, his success rates against man and press and zone, they're down there among like some of the worst players sampled in reception perception history. We're talking about like justin Hunter twenty fourteen, we're talking about, you know, Devin Functius, like DeVante.
Speaker 3: Park talking first rounders. We're talking like undrafted free agent level.
Speaker 4: No, actually we're just talking about honestly, we're talking about like first round busts like Jalen Rager. We're talking about you know Marquise Lee, right, you know these guys. Davante Parker I mentioned, is a guy who scored that way early in his career, and he had that like kind of I think even at his peak, DeVante Parker is secretly my buddy James Co's favorite player in the NFL.
Speaker 1: But I like guys those are my Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: He co owns a site based on receiver separation and he likes the guy who can't separate.
Speaker 2: So but anyway, shout out to James and DeVante Parker exactly.
Speaker 4: But anyway, so that's kind of the bucket of players that Quentin Johnson was was scoring in which, you know, not all of those guys, like I mentioned Parker, He's probably like an average starting ex receiver as best. Davante Adams famously is a guy that went from when early on in his career he was like a bottom five all time scorer in reception perception to literally like the ninety ninth percentile. You know, whenever you see a guy have a poor rookie season or whatever, people always say, well, maybe he's an next DeVante Adams. Well, so far, in my charting sense twenty fourteen, there had never been another Devonte Adams. It's just been one, and I'm not betting on that historical outlife. So that in his rookie season is where Quinton Johnson is tracking but let's flip it back to the first question there, which is his prospect profile. To me, you look at his reception perception prospect profile, you see a guy that can win on sort of what we talk about with Brian Thomas, like a small handful of routes. Like I think Brian Thomas is the kind of the actualized version of what of what people wanted Quinton Johnson to be last year. He's kind of a better performer there. But like he can win on slant routes, he can win on go routes and some of these kind of like post routes as well. But his work against press coverage was not good from a prospect standpoint, his work as a just pure outside receiver was not going to be great. This was clearly a guy I haven't even talked about his contested catch rate and like struggles tracking the ball down the field. This is the guy that you would easily watch and say, Okay, we need to put him off the ball, we need to put him in motion. What we can't do is just say, oh, big fast guy, let's put him at X receiver and have him run vertical routes against pressman coverage. Unfortunately, most of his rookie season was spent playing X receiver, running vertical routes against pressman coverage. Like I think that was a disservice to him as a player. Which Look, the Chargers had Mike Williams and Keenan Allen, and you know, they had Josh Palmer, who I think was always going to kind of be that third receiver last year or an ideal world if nobody got injured. The problem is, like guys get injured, especially those guys had had issues, especially Mike Williams and Keenan Allen had had injury issues, So it was kind of a risky bet, especially you know, if we're talking about like a coaching staff that was, you know, kind of on the ropes a little bit obviously eventually lost their job. I don't know if you want to take a peer developmental player kind of like this in the first round, but they did, and that's really what ended up happening. So to me, I think he was set up to fail in this role in his rookie season. But I don't think there's completely no chance that he develops into a contributing wide receiver in this room. Like, but it's gonna have to come with somebody else playing that X receiver position, which to me is why a part of why I thought Marvin Harrison here makes so much sense is just because you could throw him in an X and like, all right, now we play Quinton off the ball. We want to get him on these crossing routes so he can make plays in splay in space like he did in college. So obviously, like I said, from a historic success rate standpoint, he's in a not ideal group. But there have been players like I bring up that Devonte Parker example, who ended up having like a career role even if their rookie seasons got off to a rough start. That's kind of where I'd put Quinton Johnson right now and sort of what I think could become of his career.
Speaker 2: Buddy, I was just gonna say, fit, fit is so important and in getting him in the rights positions to be successful, and that's what the hope is with this new coaching stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that's the thing I think. You know, it doesn't it doesn't benefit anyone to say, what were they thinking we should have taken say Flowers or Jordan Nadison. Why would you you know, that's he's on the Chargers. He's on the Chargers for another three years, hopefully four years, because he plays good enough that they pick up his fifty year option, and even that's a discount. But in Matt that kind of goes back to the question about taking the X. So he doesn't have to be the X, so we can be the D. Or he's a gigantic slot, you know, which look game in sixth basically you know, not quite that big, but still a tall slot.
Speaker 1: So let's say they do trade down.
Speaker 3: Let's say they trade to Minnesota and they get eleven and they get twenty three, and now they've taken their corner D tackle or O tackle at eleven and at twenty three, same deal, you know, taking the other O tackle you know, maybe D N corner, whatever it may be. And now they're staring at wide receiver, you know, at thirty seven. Give us an idea, because let's just I want to keep playing this thing out. It's not Lad macconky, it's an X. Is there an X that you think has graded out that could end up, you know, being a starter day one at pick thirty seven because of how deep this class is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is what's funny about this position and kind of like the Chargers fans being, you know, like I said, rightfully obsessed with taking a receiver at five because these guys are so good. But this this position is deep this year, and I'm telling you it's been deep the last four years, and it's probably gonna be deep the next four years, you know, because there's just so many quality receivers and if you want to get a good room together around justin Herbert like, you can absolutely potentially double tap this position where hey, maybe we don't have an X available at thirty seven because kind of answer your question there, I think Ady Mitchell is gonna be off the board in the late first round. I don't think he's gonna be there. And then I'm starting to kind of like, I don't know that there's another X that i'd like to take there. Because Troy Franklin played X receiver at Oregon, He's probably the next guy that might be available in that thirty seven range. But man, he is rail finn, and I think we're going to run into similar problems where he played X in college. Let's throw him out there in the NFL. I just don't know that that's gonna work. I think he's got the technical nuance that you want to see from a route running perspective, and normally guys like anyway that's followed reception perception knows. I'm actually like kind of size agnostic. I don't normally harp on receiver size over and over again. But we've got two guys in this class with Troy Franklin and Xavier Worthy, where the size shows up in so many of their reception perception marks. You know, people want to be like, oh uh, what about Tank Dell last year? Well, Tank Dell had a eighty third percentile success rate versus press at that size in college. These guys don't have that. So with Troy Franklin, I think he'd be kind of the other vertical option that you might consider in that spot. But I don't know that he can be an X receiver. So again, sort of kind of playing this exercise out a little. Maybe we just say, hey, thirty seven the best receiver on the board. We don't really care like what his position is. We just take him, even if it isn't a guy that's going to play X. But then maybe you come back in the third round or at a different pick and then maybe you're looking at the like Javon Baker types. I think Baker's a guy who profiles similarly coming out of school to Michael galla Up, a guy that at Colorado State who showed he could play X and for the Dallas Cowboys before he tore his ACL was kind of quietly really solid X receiver that I always kind of liked ahead of consensus, so that that would be sort of where we're going later on the draft. But I think they're gonna be in a bit of a tough spot if you're looking for a pure X receiver at thirty seventh overall, because I think Brian Thomas is gonna be gone and I think Adie Mitchell is definitely gonna be gone in the first round.
Speaker 2: Now, what about speed? We know about Xavier Worthy, but this team, as you mentioned, they've been lacking that speed receiver that you feel like would be a perfect match for Justin Herbert in his arm and keep defenses. Honest, if you had to identify some some receivers with some wheels, maybe in third round later, who would those guys be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll give you a couple of names here. One that I think is like you would have minus odds to be a charger, and then one who I think has like no shot to be a charger, we'll go. We'll go with no shot first, and that's Jermaine Burton out of Alabama, who has some pretty serious character concerns. I don't know if the Chargers are gonna be kind of willing to do that, but man.
Speaker 1: Yeah he'll be.
Speaker 4: I may or may not have been talking with somebody on Friday who basically said, yeah, book a third round. He'll be a chief, he'll be a pro pro bowler. So yeah, get used to that. But I say that to say, like the film on him is wild, and like from a speed perspective is incredible. I think he separates at all three levels. Like I can imagine Justin Herbert flinging bombs to Jermaine Burton down the field, who just demolishes man coverage and takes over games with that speed, takes over the opposition with that speed, very similar to like Carson Palmer and John Brown in his career. I think I think there's like John Brown sort of comps with Jermaine Burton, but he's a bigger player than John Brown was, And like the long, Chris, I'm sure knows this doing my podcast back in the day at the at the NFL how much I loved John Brown back in the day.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Judge, So that's high praise for me.
Speaker 4: So the guy I think is much more likely maybe minus odds to be a charger is obviously Roman Wilson from Michigan, who I do not think has the skill set to be a high volume player in the NFL. But he's one of these players where you look at his overall profile and there's a lot of questions, but then you kind of parse things out a little bit and these specific routes that he's good on, these big over routes, I can see him getting a lot of those, like shot plays, big over routes on play action in particular. So if they want to run the ball and they want to use somebody from a speed perspective, I think he does fit in that regard.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Wilson, one of the things that jumped out at me, Matt and I'd love to know at reception perception if if you, I'm sure you do, but how you great it like that dude snatches the ball better than anyone, Like when he's running, he does not gather. Those hands are there and it's just you know, he really snatches the ball. And that was something that that jumped out with with Quinton is that body catcher would gather. We're dog friendly, don't worry about it, would gather and and you know, you see the bobbles and the drops and like where do how do you value that and how much are you looking at? How does he catch the ball? Does he break stride? Is he catching it out in front of him? And obviously a lot of that's quarterback dependent, so you know kind of where you at with that sort of that that particular skill set.
Speaker 4: I think it's something that's more important now than it's ever been, and it's always been something that's important to me. Guys that can I am obsessed with guys that can transition from route runners to catchers two yards after catch threats immediately and seamlessly. I do think Malik Neighbors does that really well. Obviously at the top of the draft. But yeah, man, we just talked about Troy Franklin, right, He's a guy that I think really struggles with that. I don't think he to me, it's it's a lot of it comes down to confidence and like trust in your your route running, trust in in in confidence really like confidence in your hands and confidence to just take hits over the middle. You look at Troy Franklin's like success right by route chart, the dig route and the slant router has two of his worst routes, and I don't think it's.
Speaker 1: A technique issue. I just think it's a confidence issue. He's looking, he's looking.
Speaker 4: And because he knows if I get hit, I might drop the ball. And I already dropped the ball enough. Had a conversation with Pukinakua at the Super Bowl Media Week where he talked about that was really the thing that got Matthew Stafford's attention immediately. And number one, you can actually I think the the post draft clip that the Rams put out of Sean McVay talking about why they while they drafted him was just the confidence through the catch point and like he's just he was explaining basically on these like dig cut routes and off dagger concepts where he would just get the ball and always like be right in the right position in transition to immediately to a yak threat. That is something that I think is super valuable in all receivers in today's NFL, especially because we're so inbreaking route heavy, we're so play action heavy, or we're really trying to get these crossing routes and these dig routes are that you want to win the battle of the middle of the field. I mean, how many times did we talk about in the playoffs, guys where like, all right, Detroit Lion, San Francisco forty nine ers, who's going to win this games? Whoever wins the middle of the field, whoever whichever offense is able to control that middle of the field. So if you're going to do that, you need to have guys that are confidence in their hands and can have an ability to transition from route runners to catchers very cleanly.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you're just being polite, but do you not see that with Roman Wilson? Did that not jump out at you in terms of how he catches the ball?
Speaker 4: No, I think he's got great hands. I do think he has really good hands. I just I struggle a little bit. This is like the one area where I actually like Roman Wilson as a player a lot is on this specific instance that we're talking about, and on these inbreaking routes. I think that's a but my question is what's beyond that, right, which is why I can envision him being like a guy that you throw the ball to maybe five times per game, which, hey, the Chargers could use someone else to throw the ball five times to per game. I just think, like when I'm grading prospects overall, he's gonna end up being a little lower than some of these guys that I can see developing into being like one hundred and twenty type target players, which there are.
Speaker 1: A lot of guys in this class.
Speaker 4: I don't think Ruman Wilson necessarily is one of them, but there's a lot of guys that I do think have this skill set. He's not the first one that jumps to mind, but he's definitely in the category.
Speaker 2: Matt, you mentioned Pookinakua. It's a it's a great segue. Who is this year's Pookin Nakula? Who's the receiver that we're not talking about.
Speaker 3: Baking a rookie record from the fifth round exactly?
Speaker 2: But but who's the guy who we're not even talking about that if he gets put in and it's all about too, it's about fit, it's about this right situation. But yeah, who could come in rookie year and not come out of nowhere but like make a really big impact his rookie season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's not talk about like guys that are going to be I think in consideration in like round two. By the way, just to follow back on the other point, I do think Xavier Leget is a little underrated on like the what we were just what we were just talking about money that specific expect the rest of his game.
Speaker 1: I got quite.
Speaker 3: Overrated, right, Like people are freaking out over him and he looks like he's a little look. I love the physicality, but I just feel like we get this guy every year, right, Like every year people get enamored with size and he's fast, and it's like, yeah, but can he run?
Speaker 1: He actually can he run routes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a developmental player at twenty three years old and his fifth year in college and like there you go. Is he just out there out athleting people? I mean, yeah, is he gonna do that in the NFL?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: So he's a guy that we're deployment really matters, like my reception, perception data, my data tracked. She would show you the guys that score below the thirty fifth percentile against man and press coverage like that, which, by the way, he does and Keon Coleman does. Although Keon Coleman and they really got to are pretty good zone beaters. These guys all have to transition to slot like they have to and otherwise they're like the list of in the prospects I've charted. It's like a bunch of career flameouts and then guys who have made transition the big slot receiver position. But I do think both those guys show that ability that we were talking about where they can have confidence with their hands and move immediately to yeah threat, So I just wanted to bring them up in that regard to that's But yeah, with with Leget especially, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, man, this is a big projection, but he's fun to watch.
Speaker 4: But on your question Chris about like a guy who might come out of nowhere, Yeah, I don't want to say this guy is gonna be like the next Puka Nakua and like, yeah, just break a rookie record whatever. But of course I do think Malik Washington is a really good player at a University of Virginia. It's kind of close to here Charlottesville, where I currently live now, so you know, no bias there. I mean did if you think I was watching UVA football on Saturdays, I was not. But he did break a school He did break two school records this year after transitioning or transferring from Northwestern, and basically when he got there, the coaching staff was just like, We're gonna build the whole offense out of you, which is really crazy considering he was like a somewhat productive player in Northwestern but really took to that role. A guy that can play out of the slot, great hands. I like his route running, I like his field for space. So he's a guy that I do think could be like a Day three type of surprise. Maybe he ends up going to the third round, honestly because he was so productive and people are always looking for that type of slot receiver. He's somebody that I think won't get a lot of buzz, isn't getting a lot of buzz, but high character, Hi the work ethic player, a guy that is going to, like I said, catch everything. So I like him better than your typical what I always call like the bunny hop slot receiver arch type. You know, like Wanda Robinson went the dang second round a couple of years ago, and I like moll League Washington a lot better.
Speaker 3: Last thing for me, Matt, and we appreciate it. Again, it's reception perception dot com, get over there, follow him out on all the social channels, watch the pods with James co. They're great. This is a wide receiver draft. The Chargers are going to draft a or a few wide receivers, so you might as well brush up and plagiarize all of his work and make it look like you're the smartest person exactly. So I'm gonna finish with what could be a negative or it could be a positive for our friend, our new general manager, Joe Ortiz, and just kind of where because I know you continue to track pros. It's not just rookies, and this is for the draft. This is you know, your your reads on wide receivers of the NFL, your thoughts on you know, moving Keenan Allen for a fourth because he wouldn't take a pay cut from twenty three million bucks and where you've seen his game go and Mike Williams, you know, for fifteen million bucks and watching him walk out the door and kind of what you had seen from those two. I think Mike's different because of the injuries, but just specifically Keenan and all the people that were, you know, belly aching about how you're only going to get you know, a fourth rounder for this guy, and why would you move him in the first place, all that sort of stuff that kind of came out of that move.
Speaker 4: Mike Williams is hard because of the injury. I will say I think Mike Williams at his peak was a better separator than given credit for. Like people think all he does is just win jump balls, to the point that, like I he's not on in my holy trinity of like cops you can't use during draft season, which right now is Deshaun Jackson, Stavante Smith and it's it's Deebo Samuel, like you use that draft company Like Nope, probably not. Those are like one on one players. Mike Williams isn't quite that guy. But anytime you're like, oh, well he can't get separation, he'll just be Mike Williams.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that.
Speaker 4: Also, you know there's been some volatility there at times with that outside receiver position for the Chargers, but specifically with Keenan Allen. I say this a lot. The one thing I am least confident in projecting with reception perception is the age cliff. There are times where it's obvious. A great example of that is twenty seventeen Des Bryant. You look at his reception perception results throughout his career, and then you look at that twenty seventeen season, we go from a lot of green to a lot of red. It's just like screamingly obvious, like, oh man, this guy has fallen off a cliff. You'll lo and behold that Cowboys release him. He doesn't sign with the Saints until November of twenty eighteen, despite our former employer NFL Network giving like round the clock coverage to where says, Brian kind of sign in March. Maybe should ask me anyways, But sometimes it's obvious. I'd agree things turned out well, but anyways, So sometimes it's obvious like that. Other times there are guys that sort of have this like steady sort of decline and then the cliff is not obvious. And you know, I think Keenan Allen is in that he's in a decline. Like to me, he can say he had his best season in twenty twenty three, and statistically he did. I think the film would disagree. I think reception perception would disagree, which, by the way, is no shame to Keenan Allen. He thirty one years old, thirty two years old. Like yo, we all get old, man, we all decline a little bit. And he's he is within every bit of his right to say, Nope, I'm not taking a pay cut because somebody will pay me this. You guys know this as big media bros. You're worth what somebody will pay you. And if somebody will pay Keenan Allen that money, like, he's again within his right to say, I can go get that money elsewhere, I'm cool with. That's tough because I am a sentimental man that loves to see one player play with one team for the course of his career.
Speaker 1: But it's a business. Again.
Speaker 4: I think if you're the Chargers, especially a new coaching staff, looking at this without that much sentimentality, you can see that he has taken a step back. And again we're talking about a player that was consistently over the ninety six percentile against press and man coverage throughout the course of his career, and then the last few seasons there has been a slight dip. Now that does not mean he is about to fall off a cliff, because I think Keenan Allen has shown you the last three years that when he's on the field he's still really good on the short and intermediate routes, especially around the line of scrimmage. I mean, I'm not the only one that said this, I know plenty of people said this, but he might be one of the most quarterback friendly receivers you can go out and get for a future number one pick if you're Caleb Williams in the Chicago Bears. So I like the move. From their standpoint, I do understand the Chargers looking at this and saying, yeah, stat's aside. Look, you guys are following the Chargers fans are, obviously, And what have we all been saying about the Chargers offense the last year is like, we can't throw the ball downfield, We can't throw the ball downfield. Well, your number one receiver is a guy who doesn't went on downfield routes anymore, and then there's a huge cataclysmic drop off to everybody else on the roster. The Bears will not have that problem because they have DJ Moore like they can, I think, actually get the best out of Keenan Allen going forward more so than the Chargers can, honestly. So I think it's just everything kind of comes to it a head here where he's a player that's in a slight decline but isn't quite like Alan Robinson I talked about earlier as a Roma Dunesday comparison. He was another guy and why the age cliffs are tough that had a similar sort of drop off in his last couple of years with the Bears, where from a success rate versus man coverage standpoint, he's gone from that ninety six percentile to maybe eighty fifth, then down to seventy fifth. Like again, still quality scores, but there's that little, just slight tick down, and then you see him in his first year with the Rams, You're like, oh, oh, it's over. It's over. Yep, hell of a time for all of us, but it is over. And that's sort of the tough part with receiver age cliff. So yeah, there's a chance that Keenan Allen goes out there in twenty twenty four with the Chicago Bears and like looks exactly like he did with the Chargers last year, which is not his peak play of course because he's thirty two years old. Just the reality of the situation, he's not his peak level play, but he's still a very, very good, high quality starting slot receiver. There is also the chance that he goes out there and he looks like twenty twenty two Allan Robinson with the rams and just that unknown combined with the price tag, I think is where the Chargers review of the situation.
Speaker 2: Matt, my final thing ninety seconds, I'm going to make you the general manager of the Chargers, and you have to build out the rest of this wide receiver room, whether it's the draft, free agency. What are you doing at five? How would you build it out here? As we get you out here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that.
Speaker 4: I if it's me, if I'm the gneral manager of the Chargers, I understand that we want to build through the trenches.
Speaker 1: But this is a unique opportunity.
Speaker 4: In my personal opinion, with all my wide receiver bias admitted, I think this is a unique opportunity to take a top tier prospect at fifth overall and pair him with Justin Herbert for the next decade plus and never think twice about the number one receiver position. If Marvin Harrison's there, I would take him. If Harrison's off the board and Roma Dunsay and Elik Neighbors are there, I would take Roma Dunza because I think that's just the type of value I have on a Dounsay as a player. And you know, then I think we slot Quentin Johnson in at flanker and we just try to see if that can work. But I don't want to necessarily count on him. I think Josh Palmer can play a little bit of slot. I think he can play like as a big slot receiver. I think he could play flanker as well. But I'd like to add one more body as well. Whether that comes on it probably day three of the draft. I don't see a free agent receiver out there that I want to bring into this room, and like, really, I don't know that there's necessarily a high quality tributor out there. I'd take another shot in the draft at it. I'd take them Elik Washington, I would take a Jalen Polk, although Pete Traeger put him in the first round of his mock today.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know if you.
Speaker 4: Actually it was pretty crazy, yeah, but I mean, shoot, we go all Huskies here in the wide receiver room. But I would take Roma June's Aaron Marvin Harrison at fifth overall and figure out the rest of it later because I think it's a unique.
Speaker 3: Opportunity, right and free agents. DeVante Parker's off the market, so you can't go out.
Speaker 1: He's he's gonna he's up there with the Eagles.
Speaker 2: You know, can't get him by James going at Eagles Parker Jersey.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, exactly right. Be sure to watch James, watch Matt.
Speaker 1: They do the pod.
Speaker 3: They'll be doing a live stream for Yahoo during the draft. Check that out and obviously subscribe to reception perception. It's it's great stuff, Matt. We appreciate it. Mayor Brothers el Comino run forever. I'll leave you with that.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you, buddy. Thank you guys for having me. It was awesome. Thank you that you're the best.
Speaker 2: We We recorded this a little bit early because our boys going to Hawaii. So if there is a if there's a major trade that happens in the next twenty four to forty eight.
Speaker 3: Hours and we didn't talk about it an emergency with an absolutely if there's a major trade, then then I will do it.
Speaker 1: I will do it my tie in hand.
Speaker 3: The shapes of Waikiki absolutely beautiful, all right.
Speaker 2: For the Mats, Matt Harmon and Matt Muddy Smith, I'm Chris Hayrey. This has been Chargers Week.