Speaker 1: Hello, puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast the accent color in your otherwise muted puzzle decors. I am your host, AJ Jacobs, and today our guests are the great Ben Thompson and Pat Larish, co hosts of the iHeart podcast Badass of the Week, which is a fascinating show where every episode they devote to a different badass from history, including Ninja's vikings, explorers, scientists, great leaders, you name it. Welcome Ben and Pat.
Speaker 2: Hello, thank you for having us on the show. We're very excited to be here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you. Aj.
Speaker 1: Of course we're excited to puzzle with you. And at the end of the episode, I want to talk to you about some puzzle related badasses badasses. I was trying to emphasize bad asses. It's badass.
Speaker 2: You'll put a big gap between the bad and the asses. It generally works.
Speaker 1: Got it. Okay, So puzzle related bad asses not bad.
Speaker 2: Put the syllable. You can put the emphasis on either syllable though, it's still it'll still be fine.
Speaker 1: Okay. Good to know. Well, if it's all right with you, we'll start with a puzzle and then we'll get we'll talk about historical puzzle bad asses uh, and the puzzle in honor of your show Badass of the Week, we are doing a puzzle called blank ass. So all of the answers are words that end with the letters ass, like badass. So, for instance, if the clue were this is a good way to find out where true North is, that answer would be compass exactly. You can say compass or compass.
Speaker 2: I will actually pronounce.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that sounds like something different.
Speaker 4: Okay, I like that would be weird.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I feel good about this. I'm not gonna lie a j I was a little anxious coming on the show when I'm gonna solve puzzles and sometimes they're a little tricky, and I had to have Pat come with me because I feel like maybe between the two of us we can solve a puzzle.
Speaker 1: But I'm confident. Plus I'm good with hims. Okay, you need a hint, all right. For the last fifty nine years, the soap opera Days of Our Lives has started with an image of this, Oh God, Oh, I was gonna give you more. But if you know it from this our glass, yes, yes, hour glass like sam hour glass.
Speaker 2: So you gave me a Days of Our Lives question. I was like, I'm dead.
Speaker 1: You gotta watch more soap operas? But no, all right, this is a type of green juice that you might see at a local health food store.
Speaker 2: Wheat grass.
Speaker 1: They've trademarked that over a jeopardy we are not allowed to uh, all right, well this this could be a vulture's favorite meal, something a vulture loves to eat. Carcas, carkass exactly, are cruising through it? All right? This material is used, according to Wikipedia, in aircrafts, boats, automobiles, bathtubs, enclosures, swimming pools, autos, septic tanks, orthopedic casts, external door skins, and insulation. That's the one I knew, insulation.
Speaker 2: Fiberglass, lesser par ass and then and then and then you said insulation, and I was like, oh maybe.
Speaker 1: There probably was back in the day. All right, a couple more, you're doing great. Examples of these of this include Elite, Imperial Comfort, First Business, Premium Economy, and.
Speaker 2: Coach class airline class.
Speaker 1: Exactly when did you get it at?
Speaker 2: What one?
Speaker 1: Because I tried to start with them.
Speaker 2: We started hard. Yeah, I was sweating it until you said first and then like business.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, I was. I looked it up, and yeah, like first class is just the start. There's a serial class and Imperial class.
Speaker 3: Class.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: I feel like we're gonna have to sell up more copies of Badass before I get to travel Imperial class anywhere.
Speaker 1: I mean, when you're at that class, just buy your own jet. This is what I said, all right, this is a type of coronary artery surgery. By exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you didn't have to stop like quadruple or whatever.
Speaker 1: That's it. You did it, You did amazing, cruised right on through. All right. So now let's segue into a little more about puzzle related badasses through history, and just to give people a little more background, the show Badass of the Week covers badasses including Marie Curie, Ramsey's the Second Vlad the Impaler. So they can be bad badasses are good badasses, Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty much it. Yeah, we cover the full range of figures. You know, a lot of people talk about badass and kind of what defines a badass, because what do Marie Curie and Vlad the Impaler have in common? They are both badass, and I don't think that kind of without explaining too much about them, people would be like, yeah, it's pretty badass, discovering radius, discovering radioactivity, impaling your enemies on a pike, that's badass.
Speaker 5: And so there you go.
Speaker 2: We decided that the common thread amongst all of them is the determination and the drive they had to accomplish what they were trying to accomplish, regardless.
Speaker 1: Of how that's a good way, regardless.
Speaker 2: Of whether that was a good thing or a bad thing that they were trying to get to take care of. They didn't give up, which is the lesson.
Speaker 1: Angela Duckworth would be very proud of Lady Impaler that he has such grit yes to nacitess and commitment.
Speaker 2: You cannot deny that he was committed to what he was doing.
Speaker 1: He was committed to the bit and Ben, you've been doing it on writing Badass of the Week articles for quite some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's you know, now that I'm thinking about it. The first Badass was posted in April of two thousand and four, So that means like the twentieth anniversary is coming up really soon, Yeah, like in a week or something. Yeah, on that, I should probably do something for that.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and Pat you teach classics. You have a PhD and you teach classics and rhetoric at Boston University Academy. Can you tell me what is your favorite rhetorical device.
Speaker 3: I don't need to tell you what my favorite rhetorical device is. We can skip this one.
Speaker 1: Oh I think you're using a rhetorical device. Is that right? Was that a wait? Was that a rhetorical question?
Speaker 6: Was where you draw attention to the fact that you're skipping over something so cool shading? Yeah, it's kind of like, Okay, I'm not going to mention your debt. I'm not going to mention the other skivy things you did, you know, I'm not going to mention like I'm gonna leave it to my listener's imagination that sort of thing. So yeah, it's yeah, it's like it's either lamp shading or like like two degrees off of lamp shading. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was great. I love learning that rhetorical device. All right, Well, now let's turn to I mean, you guys have covered hundreds of badasses. Tell me, are there any puzzle related bad asses that you can highlight for us?
Speaker 2: Well, one that comes to my mind when we want to talk about like great puzzle Badasses. Is a guy named Juan poohol Garcia. He was a double agent Spanish guy. He was a double agent working for the SOE, the British Special Secret Service during World War Two. And his story is really interesting because basically, when he was living in Spain and Spain was allied with the Germans during World War Two. They stayed neutral, but they were a neutral fascist country. He wanted to help out because there were Nazis in Spain doing their thing, and so he offered his services to the British to say, hey, why don't I spy for you guys. I can send you some info on what the Germans are doing. And the British said no, no, thank you. So then he went to the Germans and was like, let me help you. I can. I have a whole network of agents in England that I can recruit and that can start reporting about things happening in England. And the guest said, okay, sounds great. And so Wan Puul ol Garcia, he's this very ordinary looking guy. He's got these round glasses and this beard, and he bought guide books of places in England and he just started making up stuff and sending it to the Gestapo. And he created this entirely fictionalized network of like a dozen agents that were working for him, and he would literally mail this stuff from his house. He'd say, all know, there's I've got a DHL agent who flies the letters to meet the intel to me and then I mail it to you from my house. And then at some point the British figured out what was going on and they start intercepting these reports and they're like, well, number one, what a what? All this guy's information is wrong? So but also who is he? Why is why is he you know, reporting on us? So they get in touch with him and he's like, okay, remember how you rejected me for that job. Like I've created a top secret network. I've I've They've sent me in a Enigma machine, like we're doing all this stuff. And he had this secret network and the British oka are like, okay, will give you better info to send to the Gestapo. And they credit him with like being a.
Speaker 1: Big part of that wrong info, right, all.
Speaker 2: The wrong info. So he's sending the Gestapo all this info. The big thing for him was that he was a big part of convincing the Gestapo that the Normandy landings were not gonna happen at Normandy, that d D was going to be at cala instead of at Normandy. And they believed it, and he wrote a letter. He was a genius. He wrote a letter to the Germans the day of the Normandy landings June sixth, nineteen forty four. He has a letter postmarked It's not at Calais, it's at Normandy. Look out, get to hope and get this in time. And they gave him the Iron Cross. The Germans gave him the Iron Cross for like hero is the to the Reich. And then he was also like it was his second award for bravery in the war, because the British had already given him Order of the British Empire.
Speaker 1: So what a genius. Yeah, I am so grateful to him for messing with their minds. Yes, yeah, everything is fake, yes, lighting Yeah, that is wonderful. And the and the puzzle connection is he used the Enigma machine and he used codes.
Speaker 2: He had an Enigma machine, and just his whole life was a puzzle, right because he had all of these agents that were up doing things, all of this fake information. But his life was basically a puzzle because he had to make sure all that stuff matched up every day. Is him trying to manage, Like just organizing his imaginary spy network was a puzzle for him. I imagine.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's like fan fiction but with extremely high stakes.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, well, love it.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you both. You are terrific, And everyone check out Banass of the Week the website and also the podcast. And for the puzzlers at home, we do have one other blank ass, which is knuckles, tacks or rings might be made of this material. Knuckles, tax or rings might be made of this. Come back next time for the answer, and of course tell your friends review us. We love the reviews. It helps to get the word out so much. And we'll see you soon for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzling.
Speaker 4: Hello, puzzling friends, This is Chief puzzle Officer Greg Pliska here with one more extra credit for you. The answer from our previous show, we played a funish puzzle with Erica Okrant in which every answer was a made up language a word that ends with a language suffix but isn't in fact a language. Now, all the puzzles on the show ended with ish, but the extra credit I gave you has a different language ending. Here's the clue. It's a soft cow's milk fromage, or it's a language spoken by people who are born feet first. The answer, of course is bree cheese using the esse suffix, and that would be brief ease. A breach birth is when you're born feet first.
Speaker 7: So whether you speak bree cheese or eat bree cheese or we help, you're listening to the Puzzler podcast. Thanks for playing along with the team Here at The Puzzler with Aj Jacobs, I'm Greg Pliska, your chief puzzle Officer. Our executive producers are Neelie Lohman and Adam Neuhouse of New House Ideas and Lindsay Hoffman of iHeart Podcasts. The show is produced by Jody Averragan and Brittany Brown of Roulette Productions, with production support from Claire Bidegar Curtis. Our associate producer is Andrea Schoenberg. The Puzzler with AJ Jacobs is the co production with New House Ideas and is distributed by I Shop Castrated. No no no Sorry, I meant to rearrange the letters.
Speaker 4: Distributed by iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 5: If you want to know more about puzzling puzzles, please check out the book to the Puzzler by AJ Jacobs, a history of puzzles that The New York Times called fun and funny. It features an original puzzle hunt by yours truly, and is available wherever you get your books and puzzlers. For all your puzzling needs, go visit the puzzler dot com. See you there,