Speaker 1: If you're about to make a change in your life and you feel uncomfortable, that's the best feeling you can have because for the first time in your life, you'll make a new decision that's going to be best.
Speaker 2: For you and not what somebody told you to do. And that's when all bets are off. Welcome to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. I'm your host, Rashaan McDonald. Our theme is there's no perfect time to start following your dreams. I recognize that we all have different definitions of success.
Speaker 3: For you and maybe the size of.
Speaker 1: Your HM, It's time to stop reading other people's success stories to start living.
Speaker 2: Your own keep winning.
Speaker 3: You know when I do this. When I do this show and the purpose of it is that to ride you with information and interviews that anybody can use because I always tell people it's time to stop reading other people's success stories and start living your own. And I say that all the time. I figure, if you keep drilling it down on somebody, there eventual here and it becomes part of something that they may become their mantra. My guess. Next guest is a clean design lifestyle expert and echo friendly design, sustainability and hyperallergenic issues. She's an ambassador to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America and previously served on the board of the Sustainable Furnishings Council. Please welcome the Money Making Conversations Masterclass, Robin Wilson. How are you doing, Robin?
Speaker 4: I am doing well. How are you well, Robin?
Speaker 3: I got this fantastic looking book called Clean Design Wellness for your Lifestyle and you autographed it.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: That means I get to keep it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Now this is a book. My wife is gonna take this from me because it's always amazing pictures and she's always on me, Robin about take off your shoes, shake your coat before you bring it in the house. You know, I'm so annoyed. I just ignore her and then we go into another conversation that we won't do on the show. But she's after reading your book. I gotta say, Honey, I apologizetening to you. I have forget I got to go public with this. I apologize because after reading your book, she has been absolutely telling me to do the right thing. And I may have had a much more of breathing in a better breathing environment in my home if I have listened to her talk about your company and your brand Clean Design.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, thank you for having me on the show, and I wanted to let you know that one in five people suffer from asthma or allergy, got sixty million Americans. And one of the first places we think of is the weaving and sneezing outside, But we forget about our homes, which absolutely should be a sanctuary for easy breathing. And so your wife is right, you.
Speaker 3: Had to go back. You're gonna record this because I want to talk to the public here, the general public, in the sense that you know, we assume a lot of things we walk through life, you know. You know, we go out there into pollen, you know, we complain about it, and then we just come right back into our house with that pollen, with that with those flakes you may not see, and we might just sit on the sofa. We might even dive into our bed and watch TV. All that is what you're talking about. And you're trying to tell us to stop and realize that we are carriers.
Speaker 4: Correct, Well, I think the first thing to say is when you walk into your home, take your shoes off, take your hat off, take your coata and try to leave all of that outside air, outside pollen and any other issues at your doorstep and then create a safe home environment, not just for you, but for your children. A lot of people are gets that your shoes in some places, you could be walking across the park and you never know what's happened on the grass or on that parkway, and so you don't want E. Coli in your home, for example, you don't want other toxins in your home. But my book Clean Design Home was actually my second book. We've created a lifestyle brand over twenty four years. I am the first black woman American woman to have a global lifestyle brand focused on the allergy and aware consumer. We are sold at fifty one Macy stores from Guam to Puerto Rico. We're at fifty six Belk stores on Wayfair, Shopify, and every branch of the military. Actually the TX basis have our brand. That should show you that it is a problem that people are trying to find a solution to and our Clean Design Home brand hopes to be and remain the number one allergy and aware brand. You might notice I'm not using the term hypoallergenic, right. I say that because Jane Doe might be allergic to something and the next person is not. So I by saying allergy know there we actually are trying to make sure people know what's in their product so they can make a decision about what works for their skin, or their or their environment at their home.
Speaker 3: I remember you know, Robin. First of all, thank you for coming on my show to talk about clean design, talk about lifestyle, talk about the home when and we want to get in detail in your book because I travel a lot on the airplanes and a nine flower of mask, you know, and I'm very comfortable flying with a mask. But every once in a while I see people get on the plane caring is little beat up pillows, you know, these a little ugly pillows make that I mean like, you know, this pillow then saw another life. This pillar saw another life. And I go in my mind, I go, that pillow, first of all, is coming on a plane, and then it's and it's been hugged up by this person. And then this plane is this pillow is going off on the plane. And you have a story about pillows in your book that you talk about. I allowing you to tell everybody about those pillows that we sometimes have fallen in love with we need to be doing something else with them, call them putting them in the trash.
Speaker 4: Well, you are so funny. I actually asked someone recently. I spoke to a big group and I said, when was the last time each of you washed or replaced your pillow? And there was just a wave of groans and grimaces across the room, and I said to everyone, I said, the average answer is six years. But they're the outliers that have had their pillows since college and they're now in their forties. So that's pretty gross when you think about the dan dress, the paul and the drool and any other number of passage hims that could be in your pillow. But I make it funny when I say to someone, break up with your pillow. Get a pillow. And there's a simple test. If you can fold your pillow over and it stays in place, it probably weighs more now than when you bought it. Pillows should pop back, you know, you fold it a little bit and it just pops back into place. That's a pretty healthy pillow. One of the things most people don't know is I have a rule of threes, because you can actually wash a down alternative pillow. That means that if you think about your pillow as an ecosystem in and of itself, you can wash the pillow cover every three weeks, wash the pillow protector that means a zippered pillow protector every three months, and then every three years. If you haven't done all those things, you need to replace your pillows. Think like the batteries, you know, I'll receive this. And then on top of that, it's also a beauty story. Have you ever wondered when you're traveling, you go to a hotel and you come back with me so refreshed, and everybody's like, oh my god, you look so good. What happened you know? And you're like, oh, it's so great. Three days later, you're stuffed up, you have circles under your eyes again, and what you may be doing is sleeping on a dirty pillow. And that means when you think about a hotel, they're refreshing their pillows all the time. You come home to that pillow, you should be breaking up less right, and you should absolutely go to Clean Design Home to check us out.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why you're going to shown, because I'm gonna share a couple of stories about I think some people need to hear the truth. You know, I'm not the person who I remember in about two thousand and one, I was always coughing.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was to a point I was coughing so much that I'm submit was I didn't really I'm not saying suicidal, but it was just constant cough. It was just a constant cough and it was just frustrating me because I didn't know how to get rid of it. It wasn't a cold cough. It was a constant cough. And that was and eventually learned that was tied to my pillow in my Los Angeles apartment because what happened was I traveled so much a robin, and because I traveled, I never could figure out where it was, you know, And it turned out I was allergic to that pillow that I don't know what the pillow was. Once I got rid of that pillow, my cough went away. And that's what we're talking about clean design, making sure the environment you stay in. And then another story was when I found out I was eventually found out I was allergic to feathers, to feathers and I was in Austin. My daughter was tourings you playing tennis with my wife and I just broke out and I was just laying on a sofa and that's when I discovered I was allergic to feathers. And again, you have to I have to realize these patterns and these patterns can really lead to a lifestyle that could be you know, it can kill you, and not only not only kill you can frustrate you. And so when you wrote your book Clean Design, what was the basic purpose of it, Robin.
Speaker 4: I think that the premise goes back to I grew up with allergies in asthma. I jokingly say I was the labrat for my lifestyle. And a lot of people today recognize that allergens can create or allergic reactions can create a chronic inflammation in your body. That means when you really get sick, you're immune systance week. So I recommend always using a down alternative pillow because it can be washed. Number one. I also recommend that you try to protect your mattress with a mattress protector and also protector pillow with a pillow protector. So let me take it to another place. I grew up in Austin de exits. I'm surprised you mentioned in Sauces and I call it the weaving and stays in capital of the world right because it's blooming all year round, beautiful greenery, and so you weave and sees outside and if you don't have certain protocols inside, then you're also weaving in smazing inside. I also believe that a lot of people don't realize and when they read the book, they'll learn that the same pollen profile that you might be allergic to grass or trees, you can come inside and eat a fruit from that same profile or vegetable from that same profile, and it will cause you to just double up your load of allegence. And so let's say you're allergic to grass or to trees, and then you come in and eat a cucuver, it might be the exact same pollen profile. And so I'm trying to educate people about simple steps they can use to protect themselves, especially during allergy and asthma sea and then May, as you know, it's Allergy and Asthma Awareness Month, So you're way ahead of the curve in talking about this subject.
Speaker 3: Well have to because of the fact that it personally impacts me, impacts my family, my daughter and my wife. And if you don't realize what's going on, it can run a relationship, can ruin your experience socially, can make your sleeping habits can be impacted by It can make you a grumpy person. It can make you a person that people don't want to be around because you don't understand what's bothering you. And that's what the Clean Design is all about. And let me just before we go. We're going to go to break to in a minute, and I want to just set up what we're going to talk about it. On the backside of this break Clean Design is a room by Room Guy by Robin Wilson, who I'm speaking to. She is an expert in creating a wellness lifestyle and a lifelong allergy and asthma She's life zone allergy and asthma sufferer just like me. I'm an allergy sufferer, and this book will enable you to lemonade and manage allergy triggers which I had to find and had to discover, and create a comfortable and non toxic home environment before we go to break When people come to you, I'm pretty sure people get pretty emotional because, like I said, when I was coughing in Los Angeles, you know, I won't say the word suicide, but I really didn't feel like living because it was just really really bad and I was just constantly coughing and coughing. It was always in the morning because I was doing the morning show with Steve Harry Morning Show from six am to ten am, and that whole run was it was about six months. I was just constantly coughing. And so when people come to you and say thank you, I'm pretty sure you get it can't get pretty emotional, correct.
Speaker 4: Robin, certainly, and especially when it's a parent or a child who maybe they've been rushing their child to the emergency rooms in the middle of the night, and I simply will say change the pillar, test the pillow, change the sheets and dust under the bed, and a few other places like get the ceilings hand clean clean from the top down. You give them simple tips. The next thing you know, you get that nice letter and they're told if they're telling me that their child isn't doing ADHD medication anymore because they're getting a full night's sleep. Those are things that make you feel really good.
Speaker 3: Well, you're making me feel good. Talk to me about a question you've heard on the show today. Please do. We'll be right back more money Making Conversations Masterclass, Clean Design, Wellderness for your Lifestyle.
Speaker 5: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more money Making Conversations Masterclass. Welcome back to the Money Making Conversations Masterclass posted by Rashaan MacDonald. Money Making Conversations Masterclass online at Moneymakingconversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations Masterclass on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Speaker 3: I'm speaking to Robert Wilson and you listen to Money Making Conversation Masterclass. Her book Clean Design, Wellderness for your Lifestyle. When you This book is a beautiful book. By the way, it was a lot of uh can one say it's a coffee table book because it has that feeling with all these beautiful photos and imagery. But it has so much information that you you can't leave it on the coffee table because you need to be reading this in your bed, or reading that whed you're drinking coffee, reading it at your office breaks because there's so much vital information that can change a person's lifestyle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I those are all my designs from my design work over the last you know period of time. UH, with my client's permission, we published photos of their spaces. But this book is a primer. It's not meant to be read cover to cover. There's this for each room. There's a there's the nursery, there's the bath room. You can read it, learn what you need to learn, put it away, come back to it as you need to. And so if you read it cover to cover it will feel repetitive. But a lot of people gain so much information. You learn simple things that I pay actually homage to my grandmother who was a housekeeper in the era of the help, and she had a book, and back then you didn't have the commercial cleaners that you find in the grocery store. She used linen, juice and toothpaste and baking soda and coca cola. And so people are like coca cola and say, yeah, did you know you can put coca cola in your toilet overnight and if you have a ring, it will be gone in the morning with a little elbow grease. If you have a child who puts crayon on the wall, you can use toothpaste to get that crayon off instead of putting a toxic cleanser at there her nose level. And you can also clean the tile in your bathroom and make it white with toothpaste. Simple tips to prevent your home from being overloaded with chemical Wow.
Speaker 3: You know, I was just smiling when I was listening to this information, because you know, when I get home, my wife won't be she won't be just wagging the finger, but she will have a lot to say because she's She's like a kindred spirit with you. With this information you have in this book. Now we talked about the entryways and the mudrooms. Now I'm gonna tell you what I do. I come home, you know, put my keys down, I unloaded the doorway. I guess you can call that the entryway of the mudroom area, you know. And then I then I come and I just flop in the middle of living room and I turn on the roomote and I'm watching TV. Okay, what mistakes? If you know what I've just said, I've done.
Speaker 4: Did you take your shoes off? No? Did you maybe wash your hands? And then uh change your clothes so you have I call it your city street clothes. And then you have your lunge wear that you have at home. No, so you put whatever Let's say you rode the train that day, or you were in the park, you just put all that pollen or whatever on your couch.
Speaker 3: So this is what she does. She goes, wash your hands. I ain't got time for all that. I ain't got time for all all. I wanted to drink a glass of water. Wash your hands. I did so. So I'm saying that I'm hearing the truth because of the fact that these are things that I resist. And I eventually do it with a little naggy and I wash my hands and while I grab her fruit, and and then she said, wash your hands for you before you eat that. And of course I put the fruit on the water. But then you know, is my hands washed?
Speaker 4: And yes, exactly. If you if you were to imagine, and this sounds really gross, but if you were to imagine that every surface you touch, you got some glitter on your fingers. Every surface. So that means you touched the railing on the train, you touched your door handle, you touched your uh, maybe you have to put gas in your cars. You touch that pump that a million people have touched, and so on. And then you come inside and you touch a plate of food, how much glitter would be on your fingers?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Now if you say those were germs right some your body right now, maybe can fight it off, maybe it can't. But now you are putting that inside of you. Just have that moment. So now you wash your hands. Takes you the happy birthday. Saw wash your hands right, and now you're now at least you've mitigated some of the germs. That's all.
Speaker 3: But it's all about effort. It's all about assistency and when you when you was going because in your book, you go from room to room, You go from the entrwey, you go to the living room. You talk about the kitchen, you talk about the bedroom where you spend one thirty of your life, baby nursery, bathroom, home offices, larger room, basement, garages, and addicts. I'll do a living So you break it down. You let there are no excuses to people going, Okay, Robie, what about the attic? Okay, I got I got something for you. Hey Robin, what about my bedroom? I got something for you? Hey Robin, what about the kitchen? I got something for you? Because you want to make sure that when people when you talk to your house about clean design, you want to make sure this is how you can design and live a good life, and that's important to you. Correct, right it is.
Speaker 4: I send this to someone recently. If you tomorrow were diagnosed with diabetes, you're going to probably do whatever the doctor tells you to do if you recognize that as is a chronic condition, just like diabetes. In fact, before COVID, I think it was the fourth leading cause of death. You would do what your doctor says, and what he often will say or she will say, is you need a clean environment. You need to make sure you watch what you eat. You need to have a clean pillow and bedding. You need to dust your home, you need to take your sees off at the front door, and you need to make sure first and foremost that if you bring pollen into the house, either you wash your hair or you know, what do you call it? You brush it out, or you wear a sleep cap or something something to make sure you're not turning over in the middle of the night and having that reaction. But what is that reaction? That's what most people are like, why is it three in the morning. I don't feel well? And then reminder that during the day we have something called cortisol. It's a stress hormone that all others to get through the day and all the stressful things we encounter, and at some point it leaves your body. It goes to a lower level so you can sleep and go into rim sleep. Well, that's about the time when that stressful mung's gone, which is when your body can react for lack of a better word, so reactions can be. When people think about this, they're exema, hay fever, and asthma are all in the same family. So you might wake up with a rash on your arm, on your base that could be an exema reaction. You might wake up with the cough or the wheezing that might be your hay fever reaction. And you might have a full on asthma attack. All in the same family, different degrees and different manifestations. Now, if you just do simple steps to manage the triggers, then the likelihood that it will go to full on asthma attack is less. Just the same way in diabetes, right if you you know eat well, don't you know, binge on a chocolate bar at the wrong time, the likelihood you're going to go into full diabetic coma is very low right, and that's what people don't understand. And really, asthma is like you're choking. You can't you can breathe in all you want, but you can't breathe out. It's like you're suffocating from the inside out. It's very scary if you've had an asthma attack.
Speaker 6: Robin.
Speaker 3: As we close out the show, we've been talking about your book, Clean Clean Design Wellness for your lifestyle, but also want to remind people if you can your retail brand, your platforms, where your designs are available in retail stores across the country, the floors yours well.
Speaker 4: You know, Clean Design Home is a lifestyle brand where sold. Like I said at Macy felt Wayfair fed back beyond every branch to the military. As a black woman founder, we have over the life time of my twenty five year business, we generated over eighty two million dollars wholesale branded revenue. When we in the last four years rebranded from my economous name to actually Clean Design Home, we saw a huge increase in interest because it's almost like we explain what we're for. We're the number one hour dinnerware brand. We hope that people will visit at Clean Design Home on Instagram and Facebook and friend us and also shop us. We want to really push the one stop shop for a healthy lifestyle to everyone and especially the one in five people who suffer from AMA analogies.
Speaker 3: Robert, thank you for coming on Money Making Conversations Masterical. I'm glad you can time change my life and love me. Tell on the story and share with the people and let them know that you know. Look, you can be hard headed, you can not change. And guess what, the only person who's gonna not benefit from that is you and your family. So changed. And again, thank you for coming on my show.
Speaker 4: Robin, Thank you, Sean, have a wonderful day.
Speaker 3: Cool. This has been another edition of Excuse Me. This has been another edition of Money Making Conversations master Class hosted by me Rashan McDonald. I want to thank my guests Dave Sheriff's and Robin Wilson for coming on the show today and thank you most importantly by listening the audience. Join us next week and remember to always leave with your gifts, keep winning.
Speaker 6: Thank you for joining us for this edition of Money Making Conversations master Class. Money Making Conversations master Class with rough Sean McDonald is produced by twenty eight fifteen Media Inc. More information about thirty eight fifteen Media Inc. Is available at thirty eight fifteen media dot com. And always remember to lead with your gifts.