Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha. I'm welcome to Steffan never Told You reflection. iHeart radio and we are so happy to be.
Speaker 2: Joined on this text day.
Speaker 1: Bye, good friend of the show, excellent coworker, Joey.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Joey, Hey, thanks for having me. Super excited to talk about taxes. Yes, that's definitely what that's what everyone loves talking about.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, well we are talking about.
Speaker 1: A tent pole event kind of, but not taxes because as we record this, yes, four twenty is coming up. We have done past episodes on some of the issues with four twenty if you want to go back and find that, and just like the weed industry in general, and then do you want to hear about the food side of it on Savor go check that out. But when you suggested this topic, Jerry, I immediately knew what you were talking about because you and I both have seen I think it's the same commercial.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure, but it's a lot. There's a lot going around. Yes, so what are we talking about, Joey? Yeah, so, surprise, surprise, we're going to talk about weed.
Speaker 3: I wanted to talk particularly about some of the advertising that we're seeing currently targeted at women selling weed or cannabis products, and some of the conversations that are that are coming up because of that, and how it just kind of an overview of the whole conversation about women in weed and how historically cannabis use has been viewed in women and now kind of the conversation now that's changing.
Speaker 4: I like, how y'all are talking about this, and I'm like, I have no idea what either one of you are talking about. I have not been given any.
Speaker 2: Of these ads.
Speaker 4: Oh if any government officials listening, I have not been a part of those crow.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I would never.
Speaker 3: Well, And I mean the conversation of legality and all of that also plays into this, which is interesting. Quick content warning up top, obviously, like I'm going to be talking about weed, cannabis. I'm going to keep using the word weed just because that's the word that I use mostly in conversation with my friends, but of course, yeah, just referring to cannabis generally in this conversation. Of course, I'm going to be mentioning misogyny and racism in the War on drugs historically, and also kind of current weed culture in the weed industry, as well as the mentions of diet culture and its relation to advertising.
Speaker 2: So I just want to put that up top.
Speaker 3: One more quick disclaimer, since we're talking about cannabis, I'm not a doctor or a legal expert, so please don't listen to me about any serious issues.
Speaker 2: Everybody's body reacts differently.
Speaker 3: Everybody has their own sort of experiences with cannabis. I will be talking about my own experience a little bit, but don't take that as like the you know, word.
Speaker 2: Of the law of how these things.
Speaker 3: You know, Again, everybody processes things differently, like don't I'm a mess. Don't come to me for medical advice or legal advice, because yeah I do. However, I live in a state where weed is decriminalized. Actually, at this point, the only two places I've ever lived weed is currently legal, So I'm coming in it from that perspective. That being said, of course, like I'm coming into this with the with the assumption that you know, people use drugs, people use weed. I'm not putting any sort of moral value to that. Whether or not it's something you want to partake in, that's your choice. Personally, I'm somebody who partakes on that, But yeah, so as we say it, it kind of at the top this episode. Originally wanted to do this episode because well, as as as somebody'll know, about a month ago, I it's did an episode about the whole conversation about girlhood on TikTok and like all these like girlhood trends and girl insert word, and how that kind of spiraled into a lot of different weird stuff and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, basically, girl rot girl, why is this happening?
Speaker 2: This rude girl rot?
Speaker 3: I have a lot of plus on it. Anyways, we're not gonna get all that tangent again. A big sort of problem I was seeing with that was the way it was making its way into advertising, particularly things like Girl Dinner and Girl Math and girl all those things. How that kind of was being used as like a marketing tool. Now I got another really weird targeted ad, this time on Hulu, and this sort of set me into a spiral thinking about weed and the conversation about weed and women and all that. So I made the mistake of not recording this ad or writing down what the company was. I have not been able to find it again, but I will do my best to describe it to now.
Speaker 2: Samantha and nanny.
Speaker 3: I have a question for you, which is that are you familiar with the narrative structure of your average paper towel commercial.
Speaker 2: It's my favorite narrative structure.
Speaker 3: It's it's one of the premier exports of American culture, I think. But basically this sort of commercial usually looks like is there's a white couple, the mom is clearly doing the majority of like the housework. They live in a nice, very clean, unlived in looking suburban household. Usually she's talking about like, ah, my kids are so crazy, they're leaving their stuff all over the place, and my husband doesn't do any work.
Speaker 2: But I've got XYZ product to help me out.
Speaker 3: This was basically the same structure of the commercial that I saw for weed gummies, which I thought was really interesting because especially when you look at kind of historically the war on drugs and a lot of the cultural forces that were behind the war on drugs, it's interesting to see the sort of idealized white suburban two point five kids, very clear gender roles, household being now the face of trying to sell cannabis and trying to sell beat gummies. Something that Sonatia this particular commercial was there was a bit where she's like my husband is like he's a total stoner, but not me, Like I'm a girl, I don't know how to smoke weed.
Speaker 2: So because the whole thing is it's very like.
Speaker 3: You know which, I'm not going to get into the like taking gummies versus smoking. I think that's a personal choice, but the implication is like smoking's gross. I need to take these nice health supplement gummies and like frame it in a way that it's like, no, it's healthy and it's good and it's and it's the whole thing is like it's helping me calm down from the chaos of my life. And I mean I would argue, yeah, that is a benefit of weed and it's something that draws a lot of people to eat. Is the fact that it is something that calms a lot of people down. It is like a stress reliever. But yeah, the way that this was being framed it very much was fitting into that traditional again, two point five kids, white, suburban, middle class family, paper towel, commercial main character thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I've seen these. I've seen these and I am one of my skills is I am so good at skipping youtwoe bats. I know, that fifteen second mark and I can skip it, but they know that you're gonna skip it. So there was one where like the couple was in bed and they're very like obnoxious couple. They're like over the top and they're in bed and she's like, I just did weed with my dad and then he like spits out.
Speaker 2: His orners like oh and the fifteen second skip.
Speaker 1: So I never saw beyond that part.
Speaker 2: It's so fascinating.
Speaker 3: I just I think this commercial really like this and these types of commercials that we're both getting, because this wasn't the only one. I've seen variations of this commercial over and over again. I've seen similar things what you're talking about. I think this really signals kind of a shift in the conversation about weed and the way that weed in cannabis use has been normalized to a certain extent. So basically, like whenever we're talking about this sort of thing, Basically, since the US became a consumer centric society, while men are traditionally the ones who are seen to be like making the money and working jobs and creating and selling these products, women are seen as the primary consumers. So I think it is really important to look at how these things are being marketed towards women, particularly to really understand the conversation about something within our sort of capitalistic sphere. So yeah, so this is the latest of that. Some quick background, really quick. While medical use of cannabis has been legal in some states across the US since nineteen ninety six, Colorado became the first state to legalize recreational lead in twenty fourteen, so just ten years ago. Now ten years later, recreational marijuana is legal in twenty four states.
Speaker 2: Again, that includes the only two.
Speaker 3: States that I've ever lived in, which are Illinois and New York Georgia. It seems like it's to criminalized in small amounts and like for some medical uses.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys have any anything else sort of any other infro on that.
Speaker 5: There're still a big debate with it. There's needs and bills being passed. There's a lot of headway and trying to get medical access. We just discovered the yes, you can get I think less than five percent as in like the concentration level for anything, which is I guess how it got into the non alcoholic drink we had and we all like, what is the world and it's effective as well, but like the overall intent, like they know that it's a big money.
Speaker 4: Maker for the state. They really are having a hard time and letting that go. Other than that, because it is a big money maker, they've made tons of money with bills and bonds. There are still people in jail for marijuana in general, Like there's no stopping all of that. So the it's really complicated here. It's supposed to decriminalize them that it's not a misdemeanor as opposed to a felony, but that doesn't mean they can't get you because there's like hashish apparently that has a deeper concentration can still get you.
Speaker 2: Five years in. So it's complicated. It's complicated. That's yeah, I think that's it's complicated.
Speaker 3: And once again, as I saw at the top, like I'm not a lawyer, I'm not about to try to give you a definitive answer, And like this whole conversation and most states has been really complicated in things keep changing and so much of it is so I mean, the whole thing is is just politics.
Speaker 2: So it it really and racist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all you know, none of it acts that the real issue is never actually the weed.
Speaker 2: It's always the you know, underlying things.
Speaker 3: So but yeah, that's not to say it is very complicated. I bring up this idea of legalization and the fact that it is fully legal in twenty four states to introduce this idea that like, this conversation about weed is so so different than it was like even five years ago.
Speaker 2: And hence that's you know why Annie and I.
Speaker 3: Are getting a lot of these advertisements all of a sudden, but are framing weed in a way much differently than it had been in the past. So and I love because you're like, yeah, has already said an idea.
Speaker 2: So I guess I always good, thank you. I'm just not one of the cool kids. It's okay, it's right, you know, just say no kids, just say exactly, this is your brain on drugs.
Speaker 3: So I do want to hear more about the THHC infused not alcoholic liquor you guys had, because that's not an interesting it's effective.
Speaker 2: I got home just the time.
Speaker 3: But to contrast this image, let's talk a little bit about women and the War on drugs. Historically, historically feels like the wrong word to be talking about the nineties, But whatever, I found this article from nineteen ninety one in the Berkeley Journal of Gender Law and Justice called the War on drugs a war on women.
Speaker 2: That again, it is from nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 3: Which was sort of the peak of the War on drugs in full full swing, and also around a time when this article doesn't.
Speaker 2: It talks about drugs very broadly. It's not just talking about weed.
Speaker 3: It's also talking about like cocaine and a lot of different drug use all sort of group together.
Speaker 2: But the article speaks.
Speaker 3: About how poor women of color, particularly war were impacted by the War on drugs and some of the unique kind of issues that poor women of color faced and during this era. The article states the statistics quote indicate that poor women of color do not fall into any categories with the highest incidents of drug use. However, the consequences of addiction to or any association with drugs can be much harsher for poor women of color do do poverty and discrimination. There are a number of factors that lead to the disproportionate impact of the War on drugs on women, including the feminization of poverty, connection to family life, and including specificlave the target drug abuse in pregnant women. This I found particularly interesting, especially in a time when reproductive rice are under attack once again. The feminization of poverty and the role of women in the war on drugs. The article states quote, if they are not involved in the drug trade directly, they are found guilty by association with their children, other family members, friends, and associates. In both the criminal and civil contexts, the law is used to destroy families and neighborhoods without attempting to address the underlying causes of drug addiction and abuse. The article also again yeah points to concerns about pregnancy and motherhood, stating quote, criminal prosecution for fetal abuse, like all of these other war tactics, is exercise in a racially discriminatory manner. Seventy one percent of all women charged with fetal abuse are African American. The most commonly preferred reason for such action is purported concerned for the child's welfare, but the sudden concern for the welfare of black babies prompt suspicion. So the article connects us back to the historic dehumanization of black women and black mothers, stating quote, this particular strategy and the current war on drugs is a continuation of the dehumanation of black women that has its roots in slavery. In those times, the slave master controlled reproduction through forced breeding, manipulation of marital choices, and rape. After giving birth, slave women were often denied the right to keep or care for their children. More recently, poor women of color have been subject to force sterilization, while their ability to choose other means of reproductive control, such as abortion, has been severely limited. And I think this is a really interesting point to start from.
Speaker 2: And again, like I.
Speaker 3: Said, we're living at a time when reproductive health is under attack. Again, women are expected to carry children.
Speaker 2: Whether they want to or not.
Speaker 3: And a lot of times, the particular scrutiny that is put on women that use drugs like marijuana or any other substance, it has to do with a sort of pseudo concern for the fetus and for the children. And you know that already on it in itself is very complicated and has a lot of messed up connotations. But when you put that into context, the fact that these same sort of social structures that want to keep weed something that's illegal and something that is taboo, these are also oftentimes the same sort of social structures that want to limit women's ability to have any sort of reproductive freedom.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's to say, I do. I think all of these issues are connected.
Speaker 3: And I think any sort of like control over women's bodies or people that can become pregnant, over our bodies, that is something that is going to be politicized, is going to be used against us when it can be. And I think that also is interesting to look at and contrast to going back to this idea of the commercial image of people now that are using weed, there's this idea of like the weed mom that's kind of coming out now that's sort of replacing the idea of like a wine mom, that commercial that I talked about at the top.
Speaker 2: I think that that's.
Speaker 3: Kind of a quintessential example of the like, Ah, I just I'm so stressed out because my kids are crazy and my husband doesn't help out with the house at all. I guess I'm gonna take some gummies to go on wind, which you know, I have no problems with that. Motherhood is stressful. I cannot imagine. But yeah, I think there is there's an interesting character that's being created by these sort of marketing narratives of this. Usually white, usually more affluent mom who is using weed, and that is something that is just kind of like funny or you know, it's a way to calm down. And that being contrasted with the historic scrutiny on particularly poor women of color and their use of you know, either weed or or any other sort of substance just because people like to use substances. I mean again, like all of these things. Yet, well, people are using weed because they're stressed out or because X y Z, But like people have used weed for all of human existence, Like it is kind of one of those things. It's the same with like alcohol, Like, yes, we should talk about the issues, or we should talk about health issues or sociological issues.
Speaker 2: Related to it.
Speaker 3: But it is saying that people are immoral simply for using something something is kind of counterproductive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so obviously, and again, all of these stigmas that existed during.
Speaker 3: The height of the War on drugs, they still exist. They still exist in lots of personally the country, but so does capitalism.
Speaker 2: And since weed is now.
Speaker 3: Legal in the growing majority of the country, that means that these sort of shame and puritanical values that used to lead the conversation about weed are now being overshadowed by the one force in this country with more power than puritanical values and shame, which is capitalism. And as a result, we're seeing this very rapid brandification of the weed industry. If you walk into a dispensary in any state where it's legal, I'm sure you can see lots of you know, new shiny brands of which, again I'm not saying that's a bad thing. That's again just part of American capitalism as it exists right now, but it's definitely very different than I think previously the like purchasing of weed was imagined to look like. And so as cannabis becomes more normalized and more mainstream, I think we're seeing gender become a much more important part of this whole marketing process. So one of the most infamous historical examples of gender marketing is of course cigarettes, and I think it's really interesting to look at how the marketing tactics used to sort of feminize smoking nicotine back in the day are now being us to feminize smoking weed or using cannabis. Again, a lot of times it's more for gummies than it is for actually smoking. And this isn't to say that I think like the cigarette industry is evil. I'm not saying the weed industry is on the same moral footing as the cigarette industry. That's very different, but we're seeing some of the same tactics, which is that in some versions the products are sort of being marketed in a way that's quote like four girls or toned down or sexy. It's made to look at make you look sexy, and in other cases it's seen as something that's like.
Speaker 2: Empowering or liberating.
Speaker 3: And through this kind of new marketing of making products that are particularly for women or for girls, we're seeing things like the pink tax come about, which is where, in dressing up a product in a way that's like aesthetically pleasing or like gurly or pink or whatever, you can charge more for it.
Speaker 2: Because it's for girls. So if you don't know what the taxes.
Speaker 3: According to Investipedia, the pink tax is the tendency for goods and services to marketed towards women to be more expensive than those targeted at men. And that's why a lot of times and weed is kind of the more recent version of this, but you see the gender binary sort of imposed on these products that I would.
Speaker 2: Argue, don't need to be gendered.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's anything about weed that makes it different for men or women or whatever gender you are to insume it. And yet again there is sort of this culture of marketing things in a way towards women that then you're like, okay, and I can charge them a little bit more if because we're making it pink and we're making it for girls.
Speaker 2: And look, this in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing.
Speaker 3: If you want to spend a bit more money on a product because it's like dressed up a little bit, all power to you.
Speaker 2: I support that.
Speaker 3: I think the problem is when this is the majority of the conversation or the majority of the products being marketed towards women. Like I will say, I've bought a few rose pedal joints in my day that are definitely not necessarily for practicality, just because they look nice. But yeah, these sort of marketing techniques particularly start to concern me when they felled into more predatory tactics, and when you talk about things being marketed towards women. A big example of that is diet culture and the way that these products connect to diet culture. So a product that I got advertised the other day was for a thhc V product. I'm not a scientist. I could not tell you what those specific things mean. However, the way that they marketed it was the company was called Blaze and Chill and the product was called Lazy Days and it's supposed to be weed that doesn't give you munchies. And I feel mixed thoughts on this because I have one hands. I get it, like munches can be annoying, and I know plenty of people that are like, I don't want another thing that's gonna make me want to eat more, Like I to each their own. With that that being said, I was like, huh, that's that seems a little bit weird to be advertising this towards women, in particular with don't worry it won't make you want to eat more, because we know you ladies hate eating food, especially when it's something like.
Speaker 2: Weed that's like, I don't know you're supposed to do.
Speaker 3: It's supposed to be something for fun and relaxation, and I mean, it can be really fun to eat while you're high, I will say, but uh, but yeah, this is the area where I start to get concerned because I think, yes, this gendered marketing sometimes can be a little bit frivolous and can be a little bit fun if again, if you want just like your.
Speaker 2: Fine little pink product.
Speaker 3: But when it gets to the point where we are leaning into these ideas of diet culture and buy the expectations and all of that, that's when I start to get concerned and I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, that just does not seem like something that's going to end well from my perspective.
Speaker 1: Well, interestingly, one of the other because I saw all of these ads they had a handful. One of the other big ones was it was a group of women after like a brownie night, I must assume at a book club and they're all like passed out, and they're like, are you tired of drinking and the hangover? Take your weed gummies. But it also was like, you won't get the calories from drink, you'll just get the the high. But going back to that idea of like the wine mom and the weed mom, there was this big concern about like a past host Bridget did an episode on it about like the rise of drinking to essentially deal with Trump and the patriarchy m hm. And so it became all like the wine mom who is miserable and she's drinking just to like get through the day.
Speaker 2: And now it's like, well.
Speaker 1: People are kind of moving away from alcohol, they still want to be thin, but nothing's really gotten better.
Speaker 2: Take care, take your weed right right. And this is will to say.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I think the whole conversation about wine Mom's like that it's its own very complicated thing. I think a lot of times, like you said, it's rooted in these real world stress and expectations that a we live in a we live in a world that is very hostile towards women or to anybody who is not a sis man. And then also you know a lot of times motherhood, all of these things they're they're very stressful there.
Speaker 2: You're not given a lot of support.
Speaker 3: We don't live in a culture that lends women or people that are doing this like a lot of support. It makes sense that people are turning to alcohol and then now are turning to weed because these are again stress relievers. And but then there is of course then the concern of yeah, like when does it become a substance abuse issue? When does it become a thing to numb the pain up the rest of the world and not something that you're just doing for fun. And I'm I'm not getting a ton into substance abuse when it comes to weed and here just because that I think there is still like a lot of research that needs to be done, and I that is a way bigger conversation than I kind.
Speaker 2: Of have the capacity to talk about.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think I think these are things to remember as we're seeing cannabis and we become more normalized and more like mainstream, if i'd I do think it is also interesting to talking about the way that this whole conversation about how weat is being marketed towards women and these ideas of like girl weed or weed for women kind of companies. I think it's interesting to juxtapose that with the historic and ongoing expert of women in cannabis product marketing and advertising, as well as sort of the gender barriers within the actual industry. I found this really fantastic piece from the Denver Post that I will link in the notes called opinion weed Bros Still cling to a quote booth babes and no girls in the grow sexist mentality written by cannabis journalists Lindsay Bartlett. She writes, objectification of women's bodies is interwoven into the very language of weed, from culsovar names to packaging, over sexualized marketing, booth babes and trim bits.
Speaker 2: Strain names like mill.
Speaker 3: Dirty girl and tits have circulated the adult use marketplace. No matter how well it's grown, it tastes like violence. And I will say this is usually the kind of thing I'm actually a little bit more skeptical about, Like I do think sometimes like these kind of names sometimes could just be a little bit funnier, I think.
Speaker 2: But I do see where she's coming from.
Speaker 3: And I think particularly Bartlett is writing as somebody who has worked in the industry and has worked as as a woman in the industry and dealt with the misogyny of the industry. I can see how that can be incredibly frustrating, especially when you are contrasting it with the sort of like she was talking about, the sort of no girls and grow idea that exists in a lot of the grow side of the industry. And so the fact that this is happening and the fact that we're seeing again like the prevalence of these kind of these more misogistic names or this mentality. This is happening in tangent with discrimination cases such as one in twenty twenty two that Bartlett writes about, in which quote, two former employees filed a lawsuit against a Los Angeles based grow, alleging that the company discriminates against women. One plaintiff was told quote is called jungle boys for a reason, and that women were not allowed in the grow. Bartlett also points to a twenty twenty one case in which quote, a well known multi state cannabis brand posted a photo of a woman being used as a table with a rig, hash and other accoutrements placed on her back to hundreds of thousands of consumers on social media. Had a woman been invited to the marketing table, she might have told them that using this photo was a terrible idea. And that was the one that really made me like, oh wow, okay, yeah, that sounds like a very misogynistic image, and I think that is something that is important to remember when it is contrasted again with these companies that are presenting themselves as again like weed for women or weed for girls. We're going to charge you a little bit more for this, and then the mainstream weed companies are very much leaning into these older misogynistic marketing techniques.
Speaker 2: Like I mentioned earlier, this is very similar to the.
Speaker 3: Cigarette industry, like a century ago. A lot of times cigarettes, when they were marketed towards women, it was about how like it makes you look so like classy and sophisticated, or it's something that's very liberating for you. And then when you see cigarette ads that were aimed at men, they oftentimes like women were very much objectified. So yeah, and then if that's not enough to be angry about, I want to bring up one more case from that article that Bartlett wrote in which he says, quote in twenty twenty four, so this year, a recent lawsuit audaciously claims that social equity regulations in New York, which have attempted to safeguard licenses for minorities, women and those hit hardest by the War on drugs, are discriminatory against men. Men hold the majority of c suitet roles in weed, and some things really stuck out to me. I also work on Brigit Todd's podcasts. There are no girls on the internet who's often on this show, and this is something that comes up a lot on that show. So Ever, since the Supreme Court ruling against defirmative action last summer, there had been a wave of lawsuits against programs and measures that have attempted to reverse some of the deep, deep rooted inequalities in all aspects of the American economy and systems of power. And these lawsuits are concerning for so so many reasons, and they also are just like contra to reality.
Speaker 2: And like in that.
Speaker 3: Quote from Bartlett, she states, you know, the majority of c suite roles in the cannabis industry as well as every other industry that's being targeted by these sort of lawsuits, are still held.
Speaker 2: By men, and usually white men.
Speaker 3: So there's this whole sort of panic over this isn't happening in a vacuum. Every sort of moral panic that we're seeing over again any kind of small steps to reverse the historic inequality that exists in a lot of our systems. DEI is the big kind of buzzword thing that conservatives are attacking right now. Cannabis, the cannabis industry is just the latest sort of victim of this very I want to say short sighted, but it's not really short sighted because the people doing these lawsuits know exactly what they're doing, but yeah, the cannabis has become the latest victim of that. So I looked a little bit more into this New York lawsuit. So basically, when weed was first legalized in New York and a similar thing happened in Illinois, I don't know if this happened in other states. I'm sure similar programs were put in place, but those legislation mandated the investment of forty percent of all adult use cannabis tax revenue toward rebuilding communities harmed by the War on drugs. That's according to the New York Office of Cannabis Management. And also the law quote establishes a goal of awarding fifty percent of all adult use licenses to distinct see social and economic equity groups including individual or individuals from a community disproportionately impacted by cannabis prohibition, a minority owned business, a woman owned business, distressed farmers, or service disabled veterans. And so the case that is currently happening in New York, a pair of white dudes were mad that they had to wait a little bit longer to get a dispensary license, and so now they're suing the state of New York, saying that this policy that tries to prioritized communities that have been more historically impacted by the War on drugs is somehow being racist and misogynistic to them as white men, to groups that have historically faced a lot of discrimination in this country. They are being represented pro bono by the Pacific Legal Foundation, which is a libertarian law firm.
Speaker 2: Just putting that out there. A lot of these cases.
Speaker 3: Seem to be getting pro bono representation by activist law firms.
Speaker 2: Wonder why that is.
Speaker 3: And I will say, all of this being said, then New York cannabis rollout, like industry rollout, has been kind of a mess.
Speaker 2: So I'm not too worried. Knock on wood, We'll see.
Speaker 3: But there actually is another lawsuit ongoing in which four women are suing the State of New York for the opposite reason.
Speaker 2: The way that the.
Speaker 3: Licensing system works right now is there's kind of this lottery system that randomizes the queue for cannabis licenses, and the women are claiming that the system doesn't actually do anything to help them kind of gain more, you know, of a priority.
Speaker 2: There was an article in which they spoke with.
Speaker 3: The lawyer who is representing these women, and they said that they're actually not going to pursue a like discrimination case because that would be too complicated. They're they're sort of more looking at it as a like, hey, this system isn't really working. Can be fixed it so that it actually works the way it's supposed to do. And also one work quick tangent about this whole case and everything going on in New York. According to a Forbes article on the lawsuits and sort of just the overall chaotic state of the weed industry of New York, quote, as the legal retail industry has flagged, unlicensed weed retail stops spots had exploded, with more than fifteen hundred unlicensed operations compared to just nine legal venues. So like, I don't know, there's a lot you could take away from that. I would argue, there are, you know, maybe bigger things to figure out than making sure that two white men who really really want to open a dispensary are feel like they're being treated fairly.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Anyways, the whole.
Speaker 3: Kind of weed legal bead industry rollout has been a mess, And I think that also is important to think about when we talk about these kind of issues.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's just a quick point to remember that arrests are still happening. Yeah on the federal level, like a pretty substantial amount of people who are being arrested for possession. And yeah, that federal level is a big concern. That's been a conversation that's been happening for a minute. And again it is disproportionately the black community who was being arrested, which is kind of hilarious that the corporate worlds, that capitalist world are like, yeah, let's jump on. It is not really going well and people are still getting arrested, but we can still make money. And again, the majority of the shareholders are white men who have been less impacted from jump from beginning, Like we know when we've heard many stories where white men are able to get out of having smoking openly, while people from the black community are literally planted with buds and then arrested for years and years and years and I'll go into debt because they have no money to do bond and all that stuff. So it is still important to remember that, yeah, this is going one way, and we wanted this to be equitable for all peoples. But the fact that people are still being arrested and incarcerated on top of that, being arrested with multiple charges because they've already had a bad record with weed and typically a lot of these accounts these people are is just weed and can never get back on their feet, meaning they can't get jobs, meaning they're still blacklisted from so many organizations when they just had perhaps a couple of essentially like just literally having a couple of bounces. Because even in the state of Georgia, one ounce can get you still up to a year or a ten thousand dollar fine, like get lover five to ten thousand dollar fine. It's amportant to who you are, if you have representation and or how the arresting officer fills that day. So it's really just absurd of what this is happening, because the discrimination and the discrepancies on how this is looked at is so wide ranging, m that it's almost like a legend. Oh, you know, they tell you, like as this is like a folklore, don't go to this area.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just so absurd, for sure, It's it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I mean, and I think that that is that's such an important point. It is important to remember like, yeah, it is still criminalized, and a lot of this country is still criminalized on a federal level. And I think again, I with talking about the commercials that I'm getting and talking about these sort of marketing techniques we're seeing, because you really, it is such an obvious example of the fact that there's just like two vastly different worlds that exist in the US, and it is one hundred percent based on who you are, what your identity is, how much money you have, Like I can come on here and I can hag and joke about, you know, having used weed and talk about this as a like you know, sociology, like let's talk about these images of women that we're seeing issue. And then at the same time, there's people being arrested for way less and serving serious jail time. There are people that you know, the reason that all of these legislations, the reason that there's there's so much emphasis on making sure that these communities that were most impacted by the War on drugs and individuals that were impacted by the War on drugs, how that making sure that those people can now perceive the benefits of the like legal cannabis industry and can maybe have like a fast pass to getting a license to sell cannabis recreationally and all of this. It's because the War on drugs ruined lives and ruined communities, and that is something that I think.
Speaker 2: We need to remember and we need to remember even.
Speaker 3: As and I do, I think it is like ultimately a net positive that weed as being more normalized and that cannabis consumption is seen as something that is just like it's like having a beer, it's like going out to a bar.
Speaker 2: It is just like a normal part of human life.
Speaker 3: But it's so important to remember, like that was not that long ago, and that is where we're coming from, and that is still the reality that lots of people in this country face.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and just to put a capra on it, our vice president Kamala Harris has there's still people in prison that she put in there for marijuana use like that, and has not she has not rectified that situation like I want to.
Speaker 2: You know, we were so proud.
Speaker 4: When she became vice president, but we can't ignore that a lot of our politicians had big hands in this. Of Course, I always argue about the fact that you have to do what you have to do to get to where you are, and for black women, for the black community and in general, like that has to be the game. They toe the line because that's the only way, that was the only way for so many to get to being able to make a difference and make changes. But have to have that conversation, but are you making those changes? And with talks about this because this is a growth Like we we get excited in that this is a growing industry. We are becoming a little more progressive and understanding this. But when it's not in a line that is beneficial to everyone, that's that's the downfall of this. And it goes with production as well, and who is being marketed and how it's being marketed and who's able to get to it and that level as well. And like having these types of conversations at a very new industry. This could be a great industry. But yeah, already jumping into pink text. Come on, like it's all these levels right right.
Speaker 3: And on that note, I want to end with a couple more positive, lighter stories regarding weed and.
Speaker 2: Women and nonsense men.
Speaker 3: So, first off, a twenty twenty two Harvard Blood survey which looked at patterns of cannabis use in menopausal and postmenopausal women found that quote, nearly seventy nine percent endorsed it to alleviate menopause related symptoms. Of those, sixty seven percent said cannabis helps with sleep disturbance, while forty six percent reported it helps improve mood and anxiety. This article from the Harvard Med School website make sure to point out that this research is fairly new, and there's lots more that needs to be done to study the long term effects. Unfortunately, you know, the other side of the criminalization is that it made it very difficult for people to do actual research on cannabis and its health benefits or negative effects either side of that for many years. But yeah, so we're kind of starting to see the research and so that sort of research again. And yeah, I mean this is one area in which this could be very helpful for a lot of people that are going through menopause or postmenopostal symptoms. And yeah, like whether you know we're talking about THHC or CBD or whatever, physical and mental relaxation and like the alleviation of pain and stress. These are the things that drive people to want to use cannabis to begin with.
Speaker 2: And so I think that's good.
Speaker 3: I think this is important to be looking into how this is, this tool can be used to help people and to help us sort of deal with you know, we talked about the whole issue of weed moms using cannabi.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, like it is, it is.
Speaker 3: Something that is a stress relief, and I think that there is a lot more research that needs to be done to really fully be able to use the benefits of this quick personal anecdote on this issue personally, And again back to my disclaimer of the top, just because I'm saying this not me, This is the same for everybody. To not take medical advice for me, but we'd it's not really helpful for me, and like navigating gender dysphoria and really like becoming more in tune with my body. I dealt with really bad body dysmorphia for like a very long time, and weed with something that really helped me overcome that and deal with some of the harsher symptoms of having to deal with gender dysphoria and body dysmorphia and all these all these things that you know come about as we live our lives, and I know that unfortunately, I tried to look into whether there was some like serious research that have been done about gender dysphoria, and we use there really has not been because, surprise, surprise, two things that have historically sort of been stigmatized have been cannabis and also any sort of gender debians or gendered on conformity.
Speaker 2: So there has not been a ton of research.
Speaker 3: But you know, from discussions I've had with friends, it does not seem.
Speaker 2: Like I'm the only one who's experienced this. And then one.
Speaker 3: More article that was written by that cannabis journalist Lindsey Bartlett who wrote the article about sexism in the industry which I was citing earlier. She also wrote a recent article for Forbes called quote, how Indigenous women are Revolutionizing the cannabis Industry. I'm gonna link this in the show notes. It's a really awesome article, but totally check it out. But she for this article, she spoke to Mary Jane Oatman. Haha, very funny, but.
Speaker 2: I had to.
Speaker 3: But she is the CEO and Executive director of the Indigenous Cannabis Industry Alliance or ICIA.
Speaker 2: From the ICIA website.
Speaker 3: Their goals are quote, building an equitable and sustainable Indigenous cannabis industry through sensible policy, education resources, educational and economic opportunities for our indigenous entrepreneurs, tribal nations, and our communities. And to provide access to Icia's network to connect tribal nations, industry partners, advocacy groups, mentors, businesses, and aspiring entrepreneurs. So the article goes into Oatman and how she got involved in cannabis legislation and advocacy, and it says quote Oatman is the fierce advocate she has today because her grandmother went to federal prison for growing in the nineteen eighties, which created a tremendous amount of stigma and shame around cannabis use and cultivation in her family. She goes on to say the aftershocks of the War on drugs is still felt, especially by indigenous elders. It is a regular practice to have drug dogs and targeted search on the reservation, says Oapmen.
Speaker 2: Her grandmother fears the police to this day.
Speaker 3: My passion for doing this is because there are so many grandmothers and grandfathers out there like my grandma, who live in fear.
Speaker 2: I don't want anyone to live in fear anymore.
Speaker 3: And I think that goes back to Samantha, your point about the fact that this is still something that is federally prosecuted.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: Indigenous communities and these indigenous reservations are oftentimes particularly targets of these.
Speaker 2: Sort of searches, the same way that a lot.
Speaker 3: Of martialized communities within big cities are also targeted by these policies. And so I really loved this article because I really felt like a positive story about how communities that are most impacted by this are now kind of finding some empowerment economically or culturally through the cannabis industry.
Speaker 2: And then also something that.
Speaker 3: I really loved about this is that the article spotlights not only the organization's activism around cannabis and cannabis y criminalization, but also how it's not just something to be consumed, but it is something that you know, has a lot of potential as a sustainable material and has a lot of potential to really have a lot of positive effects in terms of like environmental activism. So indigenous communities and land are often some of the first to be impacted by climate injustice and catastrophes, and because of that, Oapmen really talks about how important it is to look at cannabis as an environmental issue as well. So she's quoted in the article saying quote, the future is in industrial fiber. That is transition needed for the climate change work we have to do. Industrial fiber made with hemp is the gospel. Cannabis can be smoked, yes, but an industrial fiber, large scale manufacturing products breaking away from the plastic industry. That's where tribes have a huge impact given our land rights. This is also such an important issue to focus on the whole war on drugs and the criminalization of cannabis that really stunted a lot of research that could have been one into how hemp can be used as a sustainable material and particularly how it can be used as a substitute things like plastic that are historically not very sustainable. So to end with another quote from Oatmen from this article, she said, quote, we need to do this in a way that does not create a capitalistic commodity on the backs of other earth. This is one of those campaigns Icia is working on protecting mother Earth. Growing cannabis is an environmentally conscious way the benefits the next generations. As an organization, we will dig our heels in the sand to make sure it is not a capitalistic approach, but a human and healing approach.
Speaker 2: And climate justice is so so important to how we talk about the future.
Speaker 3: It is like maybe the most important issue as we talk about the future, and it is so tied to capitalism and industry, and I think Oatmen's quote and Otmen's sort of perspective on all of this is so refreshing to look at hey, like, this is an industry that has so much potential for a lot of good impacts, a lot of good work to be done.
Speaker 2: It has a lot of potential for us.
Speaker 3: To have a new sort of understanding of the Earth and a new relationship with the earth. So let's make sure that we're not just using this as another thing to kind of exploit the earth and exploit I'll do all of the things that capitalism has historically done that have led to the situation that we're in now with climate change and the various environmental disasters that we all kind of just live through.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I.
Speaker 3: I think she's doing super important work. I hope that the Icia gets to do more of this work and gets to really like these are the kind of stories I really hope that we continue to hear from the growing cannabis industry, unless of the just you know, this company used a super misogynistic ad, or we're getting girl bead iteration for the millionth time and it cost twenty percent more because there's.
Speaker 2: A bow on it. But yeah, so I want to stay hopeful.
Speaker 3: I want to say positive and yeah, and then Annie, as I.
Speaker 2: Promised there was a Star Wars connection. I was going to say, my current.
Speaker 3: Stash box is a return of the Jedi lunchbox that I bought when I was like eight years old.
Speaker 2: It feels right.
Speaker 1: I believe Yoda wasite.
Speaker 2: If anybody it was.
Speaker 4: We also know about Holiday Special and how fun.
Speaker 3: I do not accept any modern au of Star Wars where the Millennium Falcon is not just like a weed van.
Speaker 2: It almost always.
Speaker 1: It's really funny because the lead singer of the Mamas and Papa's a quote came out from her recently where she saw Star Wars and was like pointed at Harrison Ford and said, that's my weed dealer.
Speaker 3: So I feel like there was Carrie Fisher quote to where she was also like like I don't like it.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 3: Anyways, had to connect it back to Star Wars this is so yeah.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I want to see a picture of this box. Yes, I love it.
Speaker 3: They got right next to them just in case, and now they've destroyed it, knocked it over.
Speaker 1: But don't worry. I love it so good. And I do really like the environmental points at the end. Because it is birthday also for twenty it is earth Day.
Speaker 3: No, no, it's it's it's April twenty second, right, oh, because my birthday is the twenty second of a different month, so it was very important to make that.
Speaker 2: Birthday is also a twenty second. I was like, I'm pretty sure your birthday is not going no, no.
Speaker 3: No, no, my birthday is not until the summer. But it is April twenty second. Is Earthday? Close enough? Close it up.
Speaker 1: I think it's because a lot of companies, like when I was in school, you would celebrate on the Friday, and I had a friend whose birthday was April twentieth, and he was always like, Earth Day, take my wind out of the sales of my birthday.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it's close. It's Green week. You know, it's Joey's day.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, thank you so much for coming on, Joey. We always love having you. Of course, I believe there will be some more breaking down of TikTok trends.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, definitely in the future.
Speaker 1: Well in the meantime, where can the good listeners find you?
Speaker 3: You can find me on Instagram or Twitter at pat not prat that's p A T t.
Speaker 2: N O T p r A T T.
Speaker 3: Or you can also hear me occasionally on There Are No Girls of the Internet with Bridget Todd, where we talk about a lot of things that might be interesting to people who listen to this show.
Speaker 1: So yeah, go check this out always definitely and past episodes Minty oh yeah too, oh yeah, yeah, okay, well, yes, thanks again Jerry for being here and listeners. If you would like to connect with us, you can you can email us at Stephanie Mom stephan atiheartmedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mostap podcast, or on TikTok and Instagram at stuff whenever told you. We have a t blok store and we have a book you can get wherever you get your books. Thanks Zowis too, our super producer, Christina, our excited producer May and contributor Joey Hey, thank you, yes and thanks to you for listening stuff I never Told You Books of My Heart Radio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio ap Apple podcast or where you listen to your favorite shows.