Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club, Good morning.
Speaker 3: Everybody is DJ Envy, Jesse Hilarious, Charlamagne the Guy.
Speaker 1: We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: We got a special guests in the building, YESTERD. We have Britney Spencer. Welcome baby Baltimore's own.
Speaker 2: Yes, y'all, how are you, Brittany?
Speaker 4: I am good. I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 5: I'm a little nervous because I've just been watching y'all for years and so, like, you know, this is fire.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 6: That's a name, Baltimore, y'all.
Speaker 2: Don't get nervous about nothing.
Speaker 4: That's a lot. Do you get nervous.
Speaker 7: I get nervous when I'm there. I get nervous when I'm here. I get nervous everywhere.
Speaker 4: I get nervous when I breathe. Yeah, I am a nervous wreck.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm just not very reactive, you know. I just be like chilling and doing my therapy.
Speaker 6: You know, what part of bottom are you from?
Speaker 5: I've lived everywhere. Like to give context, I went to four elementary schools. Yeah, so I've lived gosh, my family live in like Randallstown and locker rooms.
Speaker 4: Yeah I know, yeah, yeah, I went to school in Towson.
Speaker 5: I could sing, and so it let me go to like magnet schools all through middle and high school, and so I could sing opera and so that kind of like I didn't have to go to my zone school and so we moved around like a bit quite a bit sometimes, but I just didn't have to like change schools.
Speaker 7: But I've been everywhere. What made you How did you end up in Nashville? From Baltimore, Baltimore, all around Baltimore to Nashville.
Speaker 5: People always ask me that. I mean, I found out about country music because of the radio. My friend Keisha at church was like, you need to listen to the chicks. Back then they with Dixie. Yeah, they were the gateway. I feel like they always the gateway everybody meet. They're just the gateway. That's how me and Rain and Roberts connected the first time because we were like just loving Dixie Chicks. Yeah, but my friends they told me to listen to them, and I did, and I just fell in love. I feel like Baltimore was like very like it's very musical, you know, like you can you can go and you can sing in church, but also you can go and listen to music down at Peabody.
Speaker 4: You got a lot of art schools there. You got like harverd and Baltimore School for the Arts.
Speaker 5: But also country radio is consistently the highest ranked in Maryland, so you got a lot of everything. Feel like people kind of appreciate it, you know, it's a lot of different sides of Baltimore, and so that was kind of my introduction to it, and I kind of just fell in love and kept going and finally decided years later to make the move and at least give it a try. I had no idea if this thing was actually gonna work, but I was like, it's worth a try. Might as well feel as something that I actually really like, as opposed to like succeeding at doing something I don't want to do.
Speaker 3: Were you nervous to do country because you said Baltimore and Baltimore Teeter is on everything right cause you got club musing in Baltimore. Of course, hipopp An R and B. Do you get like a touch of Go Go because DC is right there? And you went country. You totally went against everything you know that people.
Speaker 1: Were listening to. So how did that happen?
Speaker 3: What made you say this is what I want to do as a professional, and I'm going to take the jump and go to like she said, Nashville.
Speaker 4: I mean it was a lot.
Speaker 5: I felt like I really loved country music, and I've like I've like sat and like thought for a long time, Like back in the day, I would be like, Yo, why do I love this? Like everything around me was church was gospel was I mean my family up bringing like R and B, hip hop like that was that's like that's my family. My father is a DJ, you know, it's so like and he spent hip hop and R and B all the time. And I'm like, what is this thing? And I couldn't ever point my finger on it, but I decided that it was. It was just what it was supposed to be for me, and I got the nerve. It was something about Taylor Swift, you know, like I mean y'all know like in New York, y'all are real close to Baltimore, so like the Northeast is like it's mad close in proximity, and she's from Pennsylvania.
Speaker 4: She didn't have a twang, like she was really poetic.
Speaker 5: It was just something about her that just made me feel like maybe I could do this and then Riba.
Speaker 4: I love Reba.
Speaker 6: We all like her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what did your dad say, being a DJ, especially hip hop and R and B DJ When you said, Dad, I want to do country like that ain't in my serato?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was like, nah, you ain't moved to Atlanta.
Speaker 6: I was okay.
Speaker 5: I know he was nervous, and my whole family was kind of nervous actually, but but he got it, you know, and especially like now, like my family, like honestly, sometimes they be just as shocked as I am, like, oh my god, this is actually like happening and working. I'm like, I never knew for it actually really work. I just kind of decided I wanted to try and just give it a real shot. Like I was prepared to for it to not work, I guess in a sense, but also I mean, preparing for it to work is a whole other conversation.
Speaker 4: But you know, they just they're on board. They love it.
Speaker 5: They love what I'm doing, and I mean, I think what I do is kind of much bigger than myself, you know, and uh, and I kind of take that responsibility seriously, but like it's been very real for me for a long time.
Speaker 4: Like you just didn't know why everybody from Baltimore.
Speaker 8: Daddy of DJA, your daddy DJ.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, yeah, that's why I'm so music link.
Speaker 7: I love music, but I don't want but like you, you know, I don't only listen to hip hop, rap and you know R and B. I have I delve in rock, heavy metal, everything like country pop, everything is every genre of music that makes accept opera.
Speaker 6: I ain't gonna hold you. I will be sleep if I had to do that.
Speaker 4: I want no hot season in the morning. You don't want to hear that?
Speaker 7: No, I mean, of course, if you if you make it interesting, because girl, I just be on it, that's what.
Speaker 6: But but that my dad is DJ. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, it's tough being accepted in the country community as a black female country artist.
Speaker 5: I think, I mean for a lot of us, I think it's challenging, like trying to get people to understand sometimes what we're doing. But I feel like there are a lot of creatives that are really open to kind of this this reformation happening in Nashville. I mean, in addition to like just what we look like we're bringing our culture to like just like how you said, you listen to everything like I do too, and that you can hear that in my music.
Speaker 4: Too, especially when I get closer to home.
Speaker 5: It's just like it's like pulled out of me because I've been to Nationville for eleven years, so like sometimes it's a little twangy like just because I've been there for so long. But but yeah, I mean, I just I feel like we're bringing a lot of the styles and influences that we've kind of like had around us. You know, our family at a cookouts, we listen to music where we see ourselves, where we see ourselves reflected. And so we're coming into country, but we're bringing R and B, and we're bringing rock, and we're bringing opera. There is actually a country record that starts off with opera. Like people who are just you know.
Speaker 6: That's I'm just kiding.
Speaker 7: Thinking of opera, I just think of sitting in the symphony and they just down there, you know, doing the It's different. I'm pretty sure it's different types of opera. But that's the only thing my mind goes to is that the regular symphony I get when you're sitting in the big semony hall and they just think screaming from water wall.
Speaker 5: And a lot of it being like uh in like other languages, and so you don't always know what's going on.
Speaker 4: You gotta kind of read and stuff. I did it.
Speaker 6: I did it.
Speaker 1: Why do people have to go to Nashville?
Speaker 3: Because it reminds me of when when hip hop was big in New York and everybody had they felt like they had to move to New York to get that sound, Like why.
Speaker 1: Why do you have to go to Nashville?
Speaker 3: Why artists have to go to Nashville and kind of get it started and come Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean I don't know. Probably because of the resources.
Speaker 5: That's where the industry is, Like Nashville is built like with an infrastructure. That's where the labels are, That's where the ros are, a lot of the publishing companies are there, a lot of the producers are there. I mean, there are plenty of places, like in Texas, Like there are plenty of Texas artists that are like they're not moving to Nashville, or they'll come to Nashville and record, but they'll stay in Texas. So there are some places it's just I don't know, Nashville's just kind of built like yeah, like it's just kind of built for that. And I mean, the radios are there, and so it's just I don't know. I feel like it's just if you want to do it outside in Nashville, I feel like you can, especially now, you know, with like the Internet. But ultimately I feel like a lot of people end up feel like they got to move to Nashville.
Speaker 4: I felt like I had to move to Nashville.
Speaker 5: I remember watching like documentaries with like Riba and Taylor back when I was a kid and just being like, oh, they both said they had to get to Nashville, and I'm like, my ass need to get to Nashville, and so, like, you know, it's me a few years to kind of get the nerve to do it. But I don't know. I feel like I feel like I meet more and more artists that are not in Nashville, but they always end up having to come back to Nashville a lot, you know, like you have to kind of just get there.
Speaker 4: Everybody is kind of there.
Speaker 2: It's country music more racist and sexist.
Speaker 4: M gosh.
Speaker 5: I think radio right now like ten percent of their airplay is women right right now. But I don't think they're playing black women right now much so I don't I don't know both of them is just a struggle.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 5: I don't know, and I don't I feel like the industry is kind of pushing for change in that department, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's kind of in need of a little a.
Speaker 5: Little overhaul in a lot of departments, and I'm in the middle of that, like I feel.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I feel like even as I make music like that sits on my brain sometimes but I try to.
Speaker 4: I don't know, you can't really get away from it.
Speaker 5: It comes out even in the creative process, like you know this, I would say, I feel like I feel like people speak probably more about race right now, or people who are experiencing it, like people who are black are talking about it more than probably women are sometimes.
Speaker 4: And so I don't know. I mean, I have a lot of questions.
Speaker 5: I don't have a lot of answers, though I'll be trying, but I don't know. I'm just hoping to see that something changes. But in the meantime, my black women asks right here, that's right, I got a little album, you know whatever.
Speaker 7: How heavily do you go into it on your in your album? Like you know, the speaking about race? What you were talking about, Like do you speak about it heavily in your album?
Speaker 4: Not so much.
Speaker 5: I mean, I feel like it's not that I don't want to, because I feel like I talk about this stuff all the time, Like I don't shy away from the conversation at all. I feel like I just try to put my lived experience, my life experience in the song and hopefully that attracts, you know, people who kind of have that experience as well. Yeah, I just I really do try to just show up as myself and try to show up as black and as authentic and as woman and as Baltimore as I am, you know, and as country as I am. And so I kind of leave that sometimes for the conversation because I feel like I don't know if I write a song about it, like I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't oversaturation.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, this is.
Speaker 7: About my story, which country it really plays off, is about the experience and your stories.
Speaker 6: So why is it called my stupid life? I want to and is it stupid like or you know what?
Speaker 4: Why why you call it it's called my stupid life?
Speaker 5: Probably because in part because I'm from Baltimore, Like we read each other like what's up, dummy? Probably like that we say it's it's love you, and if you from somewhere else, you can't sing it that tell that every day girl.
Speaker 6: So your Stupid Life.
Speaker 5: It's because I feel like life is uh, you know, it's wonderful, it's highs, it's lowses, up and downs. It's like, it's a lot of things. And ultimately, when I'm thinking about just the things that make me feel most present, I'm just I don't know, like the best and worst things happen at the same time sometimes, and for me, that's kind of how I think about my stupid life.
Speaker 4: And with the album, it's.
Speaker 5: Just no one song sounds like the other, and that was on purpose, like and so it's just I don't know, it just felt like a conglomerate. But also, I mean, really, I wasn't trying to name the album that. I was really just kind of figuring out which song title off of the album was the most appealing to me. And when I was writing the song my Stupid Life, I just kind of I.
Speaker 4: Was like, oh, this is actually kind of cool.
Speaker 5: I would listen to an album called My Stupid Life, right, But also, I mean I come from that era of like my so called life and like stuff like that, and so it was I don't know, it just felt like nostalgic to me in a way.
Speaker 8: I saw you say that the album cracked you wide open and it allows you to open up emotionally in a way that you really hadn't before.
Speaker 2: And you said, I really don't like feeling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't. I don't.
Speaker 5: Therapy has helped me a whole lot with that, and I have a lot of feelings. I love therapy too, and I love what you be saying about therapy. I love that, Like I feel like you've been like at the helm of making it almost normalized a lot more so thank you for that.
Speaker 4: I feel like, I don't know.
Speaker 5: When you have feelings, knowing what to do with them is just hard, and it takes a certain level of emotional intelligence and also just guidance and knowing how to navigate what you're thinking, what you're feeling, and.
Speaker 4: What to do with it.
Speaker 5: You know, Like, I'm not a very reactive person. I'm very sensitive and I feel a lot of things, and I've learned that if you don't let yourself feel what you're feeling and go through the process, it just comes out in other ways. You know, you wake up one day you realize you're detached from everything. You feel, you feel numb, You feel like like why do I feel so distant from people?
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 4: Why don't I know this about myself? Like there were moments.
Speaker 5: Where I was just like just almost oblivious to parts of myself. And I think that played a part. And why when I started having momentum in my career and I started touring a lot, I start having like panic attacks and anxiety attacks, and I'm like on the road and I'm like, what is going on? Like your body remembers, you know, and your mind remembers even the stuff that you thought you forgot, and so it's I don't know. I just think it's important to at least start the journey of, you know, understanding your feelings, you know, and figuring out the origin of it, you know, figuring out why you do something, figuring out why does this thing trigger you?
Speaker 4: It's a much deeper thing.
Speaker 5: You thought you forgot about it because you were eight years old, But your body remembers, and it developed a habit of coping mechanism. And the thing that I've learned from me in my career is that it's it really, it really does not do well if you are just living in survival mode. Like my survival tactics like crumbled, they crumbled like when I started touring, and just slowly and it's like the the just the faintest thing like can kind of like set you off a little bit and you don't know what's going on internally. You don't realize you're still dealing with stuff from childhood. You're still dealing with all kinds of stuff, Like you're still dealing with rejection issues that really, I mean, you get rejected a lot in this industry, you know, but my rejection and issues didn't start with this industry.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: It just exacerbates everything, and it's a it's a lot of highs and a lot of those. I mean, y'all know this in your career, Like you know, you can be on the mountaintop and your mind or your career and your psyche one day and and uh and be in the valley the next and like, I just feel like a lot of real life don't doesn't really prepare you for that. And if you already got stuff, you know, with you, it just brings it all to the forefront, and that's what happened to me.
Speaker 8: Not good for you in that point, because you didn't creating poster syndrome. Oh gosh, when you get the posit syndrome stuff, feel like you should even be here, that everything haply for you because you're a performer.
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, it was so bad, moom. One time, I was having this anxiety attack. I didn't even know it was an anxiety attack during the show. All I knew is that I was so excited to open up for Shania Twain. But I like ran off stage. I ran off stage before I could even bow out, because I literally just started, this is gonna be so gross. But I just started literally having anxiety vomit, like in front of the dozens of people backstage. I don't know I'm running off stage. My band is still playing. Thankfully I made it to the last song. But I'm just like, what is going on? And I'm like, I'm having a whole anxiety attack right now. And I started noticing when I got off stage, I did the thing. My body was doing the thing when I'm having a panic or really bad anxiety attack, and I'm just like, this is crazy, and it wasn't the first time it happened. I was just like, this is insane and so and I was in therapy at that point, and so I went back to therapy and we talked about it more, and I'm like, holy crap, I still have some more stuff to work out. And this is true, Like you have to. I feel like this life is. It's very fast paced. Things change at the drop of a dom and and that's what I try to put That's what I try to put in my songs. That's what I try to put in my talking and my speech and the way that I articulate what I'm feeling like that's my lived experience.
Speaker 4: I try to put that out there.
Speaker 5: Like like I'm saying, like I hate feelings is like, you know, that sounds like the artest thing I think for an artist to say. We live in our feelings and I do feel them, and I'm learning how to navigate them better. But feelings are gosh, man, they are Sometimes it feels like a rock in a hard place. But if you can learn how to navigate it, it's freedom.
Speaker 3: Now you spoke about, you know, the industry. He asked you if it was more racist or sexist, how do you deal with performing for people that's not necessarily majority looking like you?
Speaker 1: Right, Like, I look at it like if.
Speaker 3: I had the white people in Naville, because I mean most of the people that she's performing Shania Twain, I'm sure is when you're looking at crowd, you don't see too many people that look like you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, when.
Speaker 3: Es does the show, she sees more people that look like It makes you feel comfortablekes you feel warm. You're gonna see auntie, You're gonna see Grandma's, you're gonna see cousins. So how is it dealing with with you're not seeing an auntie, your cousin of people that look like if you're not necessarily getting that warm feeling at first.
Speaker 6: Every white people can come into my shoes.
Speaker 1: I just said the majority.
Speaker 6: Because these people think they know me so much.
Speaker 4: They can't discredit your fans. They can't. I got they can't. It sounds just like my sister, this is so wild. Shout out, Bria, shout out.
Speaker 5: I feel like, I don't know, I feel like, gosh, what's the best way to describe it? Like like, I don't feel a way about it. I just feel like I feel like I just it pushes me to show up as myself even more, like I really just don't be hot and nothing like I remember like it was a very distinct moment where I remember being on stage and being like, I'm gonna start running as much as I want to because that's what the that's what I like to do.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I can cuss on this, I can do the thing. Okay, that's what the fuck I want to do.
Speaker 5: So I just remember, like I just I don't know, I'm just more myself and I just I feel like in my head, I am building something, you know, in this moment with this, with particularly with black country music, I feel like like the people that are for us are finding us, you know, our people, our crowd are they're finding us. And the people who want to celebrate all of who we are, they're finding us. And so when I'm singing to crowds that in a majority of them don't look like me to me, in my head, I'm like, it's okay because I'm not opening act right now, you know, Like I'm excited. I love opening up for the people that I'm opened up for. That's the part of my career where I'm at right now, and in my head, I'm just like, you're going to be a part of this thing. When I'm headlining the show, you know, you're going to be part of the demographic because I really, I really want to make me music for everybody, Like I really want to make universal country music, Like I want something for everybody, and everything ain't gonna be for everybody, but like maybe there's a song or two that's down your row, you know, and I feel like more.
Speaker 4: I mean, I can't say more than ever.
Speaker 5: I hate people say that like we weren't here, you know, before our time, but it feels like right now more than ever. People enjoy authenticity, like whoever you are is enough, Like whatever your story is, it doesn't need to be mine, it just needs to be real. And that's what drew me to country music. I love that people put themselves in their songs, and I love that people tell the truth, or at least try to. And if you can't tell the truth because it ain't yours, you at least have a high level of empathy to be able to put yourself in somebody else's shoes well enough to articulate that story. And for me, that's what draws me even to performing, and so I kind of I kind of keep that the forefront of my brain and and it comes with challenges, of course, it definitely comes with challenges. Like I mean, even though in creating process, like having people that understand a black girl from Baltimore City who want to do country music. You know, that's that's interesting. You know, what does a right like that look like? You know, what does a session like that look like? And it's a it can be. It's a lot of exploring and it's a lot of open mindedness. And like I said, I feel like in addition to bringing my complexion, I'm bringing my culture, you know. And I feel like right now in country music, it's a great time to be able to explore what that sounds like, not just what it looks like, but and that's important too, but also what does it sound like? You know, Like I'm not coming and assimilating. I'm bringing, you know, my eight years of singing opera. I'm coming and I'm bringing like just listening to the Chicks as a kid, and listening to to Anina Simone and listening to Beyonce, and listening to shah Dei and listening to the Clark sisters, Like I'm bringing all of that, Like what does that sound like?
Speaker 4: Because I come from.
Speaker 5: A place where we listen to everything, and it's so nice to be able to talk to Baltimore person who's just like that too, because that's that's not a me thing. And I'll be trying to explain that the people on NAT show like, yo, that is not.
Speaker 4: A me thing.
Speaker 5: I come from a very musically eclectic place where there isn't one genre associated with us. We got Hairspraady, musical, Billie Holiday and Tony Braxton like that's that's very those are very different things. And Tupac lived there for like a little while.
Speaker 7: Yesterday, Girl, Tim Trees, Girl, you remember bank rolls? You think you getting half of my dough? You wink dough?
Speaker 4: Please tell me I don't, but I wish I did.
Speaker 6: Girl, I'm gonna send it to you. Girl, it got too crazy.
Speaker 4: I wish I knew. I'm sorry, I wish I did.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, don't wish because after this yeah, yeah, okay, but honestly, that's what like, that's what drew me to you. I have a best friend who likes country music as well, but I I I delve in country music, but it's not like something that I will play every day. But her telling like, Yo, it's this girl from Baltimore who do country, and she sent she sent me your stuff, you and and Rainy because she's into that. She's into country more than I am. And so she sent me rain and she sent me here, she sent me a couple other girls, and I was like, dang, Like Shorty, you can really sing, you know, and your voice is very soothing as well. And then you mentioned Beyonce like something like that is just interesting coming from where I'm from, because you don't see country singers that's coming out of our city, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Every day or or even every year.
Speaker 7: This is not this is something that you see every once in Honestly, I think you're probably the only one so like to be honest, and so I know even a Beyonce would take a liking to that, Like hold up, like you know, so how did that even happen? Like how did that link up happen? Because you're on Blackbird on the Cowboy called an album.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how did that happen?
Speaker 5: I don't actually know, Like all I know is is that I'm there, and I it's wild. It's insane, Like being on that record, I feel like one is just breaking a lot of musical boundaries, like for what kind of music people can make.
Speaker 4: It's kind of.
Speaker 5: Disrupting I think a lot of the industry and also disrupting like just even the creative process. I think, like I feel like creatives might take the boxes off a little bit, you know, and not you know, be as you know, I don't think we've been rigid, but like will be even more explorative and also not feel like in order to be marketable you have to be this one thing. Yeah, you know, that's always a huge thing. Like I mean, like, am I marketable in my commercial will people like this? You know, especially if you want to be a commercial artist, and it's I don't know, I feel like it's taking a limits off of that and being a part of that record, like I was. I was just telling Kevin the other day, Kevin Lows over here, I was just telling him. I was like, yo, I just realized my album I put it out. Put my album out in.
Speaker 4: January, and it opens up with birds.
Speaker 5: Chirping, and it opens off with this I know right, And it opens up with this song called new to This Town and it's in the same key as Blackbird, almost the same tempo, and like I'm just like this is this is wild, this is beautiful, it's it's it's like you can't orchestra stuff like that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I talk about Beyonce on my album.
Speaker 2: Like and a Raven is a Blackbird Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 3: I don't know know it is, but why it happened is did she call you?
Speaker 1: Did somebody call you? Was the record? Like how did the record come together?
Speaker 4: I didn't already talk about that yet. I ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 5: I mean I feel like, uh, like I feel like as an artist, like I want to respect like her creative process, and I feel like whenever she's ready to talk about this, she will and I want to.
Speaker 4: Leave that for her. I love her, I admire her.
Speaker 5: And also she's Beyonce and like you know she'll she'll tell the story you won't. Yeah, I mean that and all I mean, but also like for real, like on a very hard level, like I mean, I don't know people have plans for how they want to like reveal stuff, and I just want to wait, like I just make sense, Yeah, like I want to and plus I want to cherish this. Like I'm also the same person who like will hold on to something for a long time and like not share with nobody, and like I don't know, even with my album, I had like the little leather keychain that had the title of it on there. I mean I had it around people have my keys, I lose my keys all kinds of stuff and go back to the store to get it. I've had my stupid life written on all kinds of things for a year. I had it on like engraved on one of my shirts. Like nobody saw it, nobody knew, but like it was just like my little thing. And so I respect the creative process and so.
Speaker 7: But it's just you because you're young, you know what I'm saying, even just for you, like later on maybe that's maybe you'll write a book or maybe you'll.
Speaker 6: Do it like you know, like a memoir or like a.
Speaker 7: Documentary where that will be something for later. You get what I'm saying, like for you to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like everything is so instant right now with like social media, and I'm like, yo, have a like having a thought out play, and I get it.
Speaker 4: I understand urgency.
Speaker 5: I understand like or at least, I'm starting to understand just immediacy. I struggle with social media that is not my four today, Like I'll be talking about I'll be online talking to people about how I don't want to be online. I'm like, this is like what am I doing? Like I made a whole song the other day and was like, I tiktokd someone please tell my team my label.
Speaker 4: I tiktoked.
Speaker 5: I did the thing like please, like just know that I'm trying today, like I can't account for tomorrow, but this week I'm bored. So I'm actually doing an experiment where I'm posting like two or three tiktoks a day because I'm kind of just bored. I just want to try something now. I don't know what I'm looking for, but I'm just having fun talking to people. But I forgot what I was talking about just now. That's how this works in my brain.
Speaker 7: Basically, he was askingly, like trying to get your business about how to be linked up, and you say you're going.
Speaker 6: To talk about it later maybe later. Urgency is not for thank you all that.
Speaker 7: Like I got to start about how you know, when me and Michael Jackson was cool, I'm gonna tell that later, you know what I mean, because that that's a story for later.
Speaker 4: You know that, you know, I was just going with it. I'm here for it.
Speaker 8: The best thing to do when you're talking to somebody from Baltimore to go whatever they're saying. I'm just listen the other black female country artists. You mentioned Rainer, but then there's a Tanner Dale, Tierraic Kennedy where y'all all familiar with each other and cool with each other before y'all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So in a sense, I, me and Raina have been really good friends for a few years. Me and Raina we met back in twenty twenty, twenty twenty one, and Tanner we met. I want to say, we met like last year for the first time. I've literally only been around her a handful of times, but we've like been just really friendly. We have like a common interest in edible glitter.
Speaker 2: Edible glitter, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Put it in your drinks. You don't put in it?
Speaker 5: I'm like, mind, but but that's no. I don't have TC in it. It just I put the thing, you know, I do the thing. Yeah, but no, it's just regular just Amazon edible glitter. And so that was something that we just kind.
Speaker 1: Of literally in drink.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, it makes.
Speaker 6: A drink really pretty edible, got you a little.
Speaker 5: Gold dust on your like something, I mean anyway, but then we connected with that online and so like it's just been I don't know, it's just been mutual respect and just like little things like that. I've known Tier for a few years. We work together back in twenty twenty one, and so yeah, I mean I feel like we all kind of like started meeting each other when life got busy, like around twenty twenty and when the conversation around Black Country really kind of started ramping up, and so I don't know, I feel like artists are just kind of like passing ships through the night, and so it was it's really cool to be able to kind of like have a moment with an artist because I mean, the beautiful and also sad part is that like you've really got live in that moment when you're with somebody that is in the same field as you, because once this moment is over, like you might not see each other for a really long time. Like I have friends that I've connected with so deeply, like over tour or something. And it was two months and I haven't seen him in two years now, and so I know I'll be going through withdrawals. I'm like, oh my god, my friend, we shared such a beautiful moment. And also now we only see each other anymore right now, because life is justic it's hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, y'all know about that more than me.
Speaker 8: Was there a country music before Beyonce and after Beyonce?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, like how the things changed?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Oh in that sense?
Speaker 8: Have how have you benefited from her being in the country music space now?
Speaker 5: Oh gosh, I mean even just some of the stuff that I was saying, like with a kind of breaking those musical barriers and and kind of like who gets to represent the South or like or or just the stories that get to be told or the way that it's told, Like even just sonically, I feel like people might even be a little more explorative on their albums. Like my personal favorite album is Lemonade, Like of all time, that's my album. When I heard that album, it like no one song sounded like another, and it was it was really like it shook up my head a lot. And I feel like if people listen to my album My Stupid Life, like you can hear that you can hear where I just wanted to have storytelling and in country music at its core, just be the thread through each song. But sonically it's gonna be a little rock and country. It's gonna be a little a little R and B and country, it's gonna be a little pop in country. Like it's it's like, I feel like I have that thread, and I feel like, gosh, I feel like we're gonna hear more albums like that, you know, but my lot is inspired by an album that she made, you know, years ago, and so I feel like, right now people just gonna be more explorative, like creatively, but also I feel like she's also bringing a really interesting fan base to country music, and and the talent is there, and and it's our job to.
Speaker 4: Keep them here. You know.
Speaker 5: I have no idea what her next record is gonna be, but hopefully, you know, the people that are here and interested in in what this whole moment is because of Beyonce, hopefully they, you know, wanna stick around because there's some incredible talent here, and I think she's done an incredible and and generous thing in spotlighting a lot of it.
Speaker 3: On Cowboy Carter, I was gonna ask you. You know a lot of artists are doing country now right. We heard I think he Sha Cold said she's doing a country album.
Speaker 2: Doing a country album, Hey, Michelle been doing it.
Speaker 3: So do you think it might take away from like it might be somebody These artists might be doing it as a quote unquote fatty type of thing, and it can hurt or help country music because people are not you know a lot of people will go because they feel like it's a check right and not not do it because they feel it in their soul.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, honestly, I don't think I care, like and I know that people that are care. I don't think I do because I feel like people just do that across the genres all the time.
Speaker 4: Like they just do it.
Speaker 5: People go and they make a pop record or they make a rock album where they make you know, they make a gospel record, like people do that all the time. And even country artists they make gospel records or a Christian record or something like that.
Speaker 2: Do a rap album.
Speaker 6: It's the poet department.
Speaker 2: Shut up, it's tortured poets.
Speaker 1: A rap album.
Speaker 6: He is.
Speaker 7: A all right, everybody wait, But I like your perspective on I've never heard nobody say was just believing him. I was like, oh really, because you come up with you, I have to realize what you're walking into.
Speaker 1: That's right, girl. No, he'll be serious, face serious.
Speaker 7: But you know that's why I'm like, I'm so glad that he advocates for therapy because he does.
Speaker 6: Need it, you know, true?
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, But I love your your take on how you broke down why you like Lemonade. A lot of people they like it for the surface reason. Oh she that's what she was betting about being che didn't all that. I like it because the same reason is so many different genres of.
Speaker 6: Music and the like she did rock, you know that she did.
Speaker 7: She had her ballad, then the country, she had her country. So somebody dad, right, daddy lessons that was on Lemonade like that.
Speaker 6: I never heard.
Speaker 7: Nobody say that, But that's why I like that. That's why Eliminade is my favorite album of hers because of it's no it's a no skip, because it sounds like so many different genres. Just understanding because I you know, i'd be in my little music a little bit you do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, just a little bit. You I'm like Okay, she want me over with that.
Speaker 5: I mean, I feel like the average listener like listens to a little bit of everything, you know. I feel like country is first of all, it's the way of life. You know, it's a it's a lifestyle. It's kind of how how uh? In this case, I'm a transplant, Like I'm from Baltimore, like I'm from I'm from Randallstown, like I'm from over like over by Morgan State, Like that's that's where I grew up.
Speaker 4: That's where I lived. And so I I feel like I just fell in love with it.
Speaker 5: My family we went down south every summer to something South Carolina. Oh yeah, my mother's husband is from there. And every year somebody die every summer, some to South Carolina. Like Jesus I could like it was almost like clockwork, like I just knew. I mean, God rest all of this souls. And also it was a nice time driving in South Carolina. That's that was my introduction to the South. It wasn't the music at all, Like it wasn't country music. It was going down South and just getting acclimated to everything down there and watching people fight over whether to put cheese or salt and pepper in your grits, like that was that was my introduction and so, you know, and so I feel like it is a way of life, and you know, it's it's not just sonically like what you hear, it's not just instrumentation. It's the way you tell a story. And it's the stories that you tell, and it's your ability to be honest about it, you know, it's the ability to connect with people through the lyrics. Nashville is a song town, you know. And I think it was Hank Williams that said something I'm a paraphrase. He says something like, a you ain't got to be from the South to do country. You just gotta be real. And that's true, Like you just gotta be real with you shit. You just you have to be honest. And that's what I try to do, you know. And I feel like when I listen to a lot of these albums, like a lot of these pop stars that are doing country albums, I'm like, go for it. Tell your truth, you speak your shit, you know, talk do your thing. Also disrupt the industry because all of it needs overhaul anyway. So I'm interested Whenever label execs are like no, no, no, I'm like, yep, that's the one.
Speaker 4: That's what we need. That thing right there.
Speaker 8: I think that's what that's what's making people gravitate towards country because, like you said, country music is all about the storytelling, Like it's the great stories. I don't know if they feel like they can necessarily tell those stories and whatever they're doing because.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of glitz and glam and a lot of polish. Yeah, But the thing that's like connecting with people like is people just being honest about how they feel and the stuff that they've been through. Like I was reading something a few weeks ago that I was talking about how we've been in the loneliness epidemic for like a few years now, especially since like the pandemic, And I'm like, that's why people love introspective music right now, where people are just like just spilling their guts and just telling the truth about how they feel, the dark, the ugly. They're not trying to be perfect, they're not just trying to give you like a like a cliche love song. They're trying to like they're trying to be honest. And I feel like that's happening a lot across a lot of genres. But it's beautiful when I in country music, especially pair it with like the instrumentation that I love, give me like some heartbreaking lyric with like a steal man. And growing up in church, I didn't have like, we didn't hear steel guitar I equated to like an organ. It was a friend of mine who told me he was like, the steel guitar to country music is the organ to gospel. And I was like, oh man, that's so true. It's a long, sad, extended note. You just hold it down and you just I don't know. It's a little shaky, you know, and it's I just I feel it. I feel that I feel that lyric and when you pair it with the right instrument and the right production, I mean, I just feel like that could unlock a soul.
Speaker 8: I love what you said about the loneliness, and it's like my last question, but because it made me think of this quote, I saw you said what you said. If I could go back when you first moved to Nashville, if I could go back, I would tell myself to use that time to find more of myself. If you're not finding your people, at least find yourself expound on that a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, finding yourself is hard, Like knowing who you are, it's hard, and I think half of the battle is figuring out what you're not, you know, and that's that's a little easier. At least that came a little easier for me. But just figuring out who you are, it'll help attract the right people, you know, Like I feel like sometimes I've spent so much time in life like not knowing who I am or what I want to do or knowing my worth, and I attracted people who weren't interested in finding that out either, And that's I feel like how I got a lot of my my heart broken. Sometimes I feel like that's where I got like let down and just opening up to people who can only meet you as far as they've met themselves too. You just have two broken people just just trying to figure out why you keep crashing and not just I feel like, know who you are, it'll save you and a lot of people a whole lot of time. Like it's okay, everybody ain't for everybody, and you don't need to do everything, you know, like people pleasing and just all that stuff. It's just a lot of that is just not know who you are, and I don't know. I wish I could go back in time. I mean, I won't say I have regrets. I don't really have regrets. I just have like if I could have a little do over, you know, I do that, But like I just I don't know. I would I would go back and just try to figure out who I am a lot sooner. Because also the other part of it is if you don't know who you are, there's somebody who probably knows that, and they will use that against.
Speaker 4: You, like that is a weapon.
Speaker 5: Like whatever you are ignorant here, you feel me whatever you are ignorant to about yourself, Like you don't see yourself, you know, I don't see what I look like right now, but you can tell if there's a twitch in myles something, if I'm uncomfortable. You can see probably more about me sometimes than I can. And I feel like somebody look at you long enough, they'll learn, they'll learn. And if you are if you're around the wrong people, that becomes their weapon, you know.
Speaker 4: And so I feel I don't know. I just I want to I.
Speaker 5: Would like to protect I mean, like I said, I don't have no regrets. You know, but if I could go back in time, I would have protected myself a lot more. But then again, I wouldn't be who I am right now, for we wouldn't have this conversation. I probably wouldn't be asympathetic. I probably wouldn't be as vocal as I am. Like even as I talk about the things that I feel need to change in country music, like I'm not talking about it from like a place of like like you know, like y'all doing this, y'all like it ain't like that. I'm actually saying like this is an invitation. Hey, there is a much bigger story happening here and history will be told. You know which side of it are you going to fall on? Because we're going to talk about like this is a movement that we're seeing like sonically, like even musically, racially musically, this is a movement like we're watching a shift. Like you know, when we talk about it in ten years, were you forward thinking or were you trying to gatekeep you know, a future that could actually that could actually be really dope? You know, Yeah, it makes the whole genre bigger and that and that's so really hard thing. I mean, you from the South, you know, like the idea of something becoming bigger and having more people like that can be really scary, you know, if you're from a small town or if you're like because Naturale feels like a big small town, it can feel really scary, you know, like you know, getting ah, getting a bigger infrastructure, that can feel really scary, finding feeling like you're you're losing your bearings or you know, but it's actually just an invitation to explore something else, you know, and to let something else in. There could be something really sweet happening right now. And I feel like we watch it so often in a lot of genres where there's shifts, you know, musical shifts where something happens and a whole new genre is made. Honestly, for me, the biggest like like cultural difference for me, even in country music is Black music is by nature very innovative, Like we abandon genres and create a whole new and we've done that like consistently, and so that was that's a that's a that's a cultural thing for me, Like, if I'm honest, but I feel like I feel like the industry is going to continue to shift, and I hope that people feel this invitation for me and all anybody else speaking out about this to just be like, Hey, something news gonna happen. Let these pop artists come and do their thing. You know, I want to hear what they got to say. I want to hear their country album.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 5: Because I want to hear your gospel album. And I want to hear the song that you do with that pop artist that you're featured on, and when you go to that pop festival, like I want to hear I want to hear it, and so and I think a lot of people do. And I think the fans want to hear that as well, and so why not give it to them, give them a show on the stage.
Speaker 7: This is my last question speaking of when you were talking about sweet things happening. You're going on tour with Willia and Bob Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan.
Speaker 5: Girl, I've been on the road with really for three years, and it just it never ceases to amaze me that, like I get to do this, like the amount of people like I'm excited to be on the rod. Really, I've never toured with Bob before Bob Dylan, and I think I don't know, like you know, nah, but I've have had.
Speaker 4: Some of his weed.
Speaker 5: He got this this company called Willy's Reserves, and they like they just be pulling up on you in your dressing room. They just like knock on the door, you know, and they just be like, I got you something.
Speaker 4: They got They got the canister. The cancer is fire. I keep the canister.
Speaker 6: Yeah I got.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've ran out of that weed. But free rolls.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, so you ain't like falling asleep, you know. And so and so I love Willie. I did meet him. I sang with him, like he always invites like everybody that's like that's been on the stage before him to come and sing with him at the end of the night.
Speaker 4: And he just like he's the sweetest, Like he blew me a kiss one time in the middle of the song. He was like what I was like, Willie, I love you so much.
Speaker 5: And so it's just it's an honor, like especially when an artist is ninety years old, like to be able to do this in their lifetime, Like that's how I feel like. And uh, I mean I've gotten to do this a few times, like three years with Willie. I've toured with Uh. I mean, she's not at his age yet, but Riba I've toured with her, opened up for Springsteen last year. I'm excited about Bob Dylan this year. Gosh, like I just I don't know. I get excited. I get excited.
Speaker 4: But also about the younger ones too. Yea open up for Megan A Stallion. That was fun. First of all, yeah, I did.
Speaker 5: That was fun. I love touring, I really do. I love touring and it now yeah, I loved it before too. That was the hard part.
Speaker 7: I was like, Yo, why am I none of that?
Speaker 6: No, because Bob and really don't want to.
Speaker 5: I go up to c on the last song and I'm just, you know, just projectile, and then he kissing's.
Speaker 6: Talking about like don't don't do that.
Speaker 1: I can't do that, you know.
Speaker 8: Roberts She said that whenever you are doing something new, you're going to have some form of anxiety because you've never been in that space before. Yes, so it's just like you kind of got to just embrace it, you know. Of course, we all got our techniques, you know, to breathe next feelings and medication things like that, but you're going to feel.
Speaker 4: Something, Yeah, you are. Feelings, they're so hard. New things are hard.
Speaker 5: I love touring, having a great time, and like I said, I'm the opening act right now, and I'm having a great time because people have been very kind and embracing me. And it's cool to like even just watch the stages that have let me on, like just as a country artist being able to say, like, in the same year you opened up for Reba and Megan Thee Stallion and Marion Morris and a Shiryl Crow, like that's that's an eclectic like lineup of people. Like. But I like being the kind of artist that has songs for all those stages and I'm gonna keep doing it.
Speaker 4: I'm so proud, Brittany.
Speaker 6: We appreciate you for joining us.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: My stupid life is out right now.
Speaker 1: Pick it up.
Speaker 8: Britney Spencer listening to Blackbird on Beyonce's Cowboy Carter.
Speaker 1: That's right, and it's The Breakfast Club. Good morning, thank you, Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club
Speaker 7: Sa