Speaker 1: Hello Puzzlers, and welcome to the Puzzler Weekend, where we bring you some of our favorite episodes from the vaults for your weekend listening. This weekend, we have a show in honor of Earth Day, which is coming up on Monday. Earth Day, by the way, a very anagrammable holiday. Lots of anagrams. Rearrange the letters in Earth Day and you get death ray, which could also be a danger to our planet, just like climate change, so very appropriate. Also yard hate, which is appropriate if the yard contains water intensive landscaping that might harm the environments. So there you go. And now our Earthday episode with comedian Roywood Junior doing a puzzle about trees. Hello Puzzlers, Welcome to the Puzzler Podcast, the extra legroom in your daily cross country puzzle flight. I'm your host, A J. Jacobs, and I am here with our guests, the amazing Roy Wood Junior, comedian, podcaster and jigsaw puzzle lover. Welcome Roy.
Speaker 2: Hello. Hello.
Speaker 1: I heard on another show that you actually glue your finished jigsaw puzzles and hang them up on the wall.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have to give a shout out to you. Vet Nicole Brown from Community Fame. She and I got to talking about puzzles, and she was telling me how she does her puzzles and then just undoes them and reboxes them and then gives them to some one. And I'm like, no, it's mine. This belongs to me forever. We never passed this down. One day in twenty twelve, your dad was bored and in six hours he completed a seven hundred and fifty pieces, Like I want everyone to know.
Speaker 1: And are you in a room with any puzzles on the wall right now?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I just moved into this place, so I don't have anything up on the walls yet, but they're all out there ready to go up. I got to figure out my I gotta paint first.
Speaker 1: And your favorite is they You would mention the Las Vegas Skyline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Buffalo Games. They do these seven hundred and fifty panoramas, and they've got a couple of really good cities. I probably have ten or twelve of those, from Vegas to New York to Vancouver, the pair of the Great Pyramids. You know, like it's just San Francisco, just random cities. Chicago, Like there's just no rhyme or reason I don't have a Pittsburgh when I'm not from Pittsburgh, but it's cool to put that on the wall.
Speaker 1: I will say Buffalo. I like their jigsaw. I think that's the one. They have very different shaped pieces, like some companies, they are all the same kind of shape, And am I wrong about that? Maybe I'm confusing it.
Speaker 2: They're pretty regular.
Speaker 3: I've bought puzzles for my son, and the thing I don't like about those puzzles is that they sometimes have Oh here's one that here's a piece that shaped like a dolphin or a hot air ballance. So there's nothing interlocking about it.
Speaker 1: You don't like those.
Speaker 3: That's interesting because it's just a loose puzzle, right, it's just loose stuff on the ground all together, held by what not physics?
Speaker 1: It's true, it seems a little unstable, not fair, got it all right? We won't give you that as a going away prize. But today's puzzle is based on a type of puzzle that was popular in the nineteen eighties. It was called wordy gurdy and you might have seen it. It was next to the comics, and it was a two word rhyming phrase that was the answer to everyone. So if the clue was this is a hilarious rabbit, then the solution might be funny bunny. So that is wordy gurdy. But in honor of you, we gave it a little twist because this time all the answers are two word rhyming phrases. But one of those words is a type of wood. So it's not it's woody goody. If it's not wordy gurdy, it's woody goody. So if the clue for instant, I'll give you. For instance, if the clue is a headrest for your bed made of wood from a weeping tree, that might.
Speaker 3: Be willow pillow exactly, pillow willowpo.
Speaker 1: Okay, willow pillows, right, Yeah, we usually put the tree first. Okay, So are you ready? And some may be a little tricky re ready, especially if yeah, our producers like I don't know wood types, but maybe you do. So here you go a dip for tortilla chips made out of lightweight wood, very lightweight wood. And it's a dip for your tortilla chips.
Speaker 2: Drift chip.
Speaker 1: I like it, but it's not what we were thinking. Drift oh, drift wood. Oh yeah, that's good now that we're thinking of the the the little red sauce that you put your tortillas in is.
Speaker 2: All balsa salsa exactly.
Speaker 1: I like you, all right. Number two This is a boat you take to Staten Island, but it's made of reddish brown wood. Ah.
Speaker 2: I like this one, cherry fairy.
Speaker 1: That's it, cherry fairy. I'm on a roll, baby, you are all right. Here comes another. I think you got it. Number three a ballet dress made from a panda's favorite food. A ballet dress made from a panda's favorite food.
Speaker 2: A bamboo too too. That's it. Oh, you are on a rollo okay, almost cursed. I was like, oh, you're real. I got it. Okay.
Speaker 3: It's like a will of fortune when you just blind guess an X or a V. You know what, there are four exes in this book.
Speaker 2: What exes?
Speaker 1: Well, you got it, you got it, and uh and we are happy that you guessed randomly. But it wasn't so random, all right. Number four is a statue of a the King of the Greek gods, made out of a type of evergreen wood. So the King of the gods, the god of thunder in Greece, and it's made of evergreen wood.
Speaker 2: He's also.
Speaker 1: It's not pine t the god I think might be easier to get than the wood. The god is I'm trying.
Speaker 2: To see the thor of Zeus, thunder is.
Speaker 1: No, you got it.
Speaker 2: You said it. Zeus is the lightning or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Zeus so Zeus and it's a kind of moose Zeus. Weird. This was the crazy Howard.
Speaker 2: Hughes spruce spruce Zeus exactly.
Speaker 3: I was trying to think of other names for evergreens other than pine. But yeah, okay, that won. Well done. Well done puzzle master.
Speaker 2: On that one.
Speaker 1: Well done to you. By the way, fun fact which I found researching this, the spruce goose plane that crazy Howard Hughes had was not even made of spruce. It was birch, but I guess there was nothing that rhymed with birch that flies. All right, Well you you did great as expected. You know your woods. Thank you for participating. And where can people get more roy wood, the best type of wood, roy Wood.
Speaker 3: Get more Roywood at my website roywood Junior dot com. Also, you to watch some of my old comedy specials. Were there in free don't you.
Speaker 1: I watched them actually yeah, Comedy Central puts them up with no commercials.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: So before we wrap up, as always, for you puzzlers at home, we have an extra credit puzzle. This is a chef's hat made of a wood used for wine barrels. Wine barrel would but it's a chef's hat made of that. Puzzlers, please don't forget to subscribe to the Puzzler Podcast and I'll meet you here tomorrow for more puzzling puzzles that will puzzle you puzzlingly