Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our Daybreak anchors all around the world, and straight ahead on the program, a preview of core USPCE prices and GDP, also earnings from the US's biggest ev maker. I'm Tom Busby in New York.
Speaker 2: I'm Stephen Carol in London, where we're discussing what's in store for Europe's biggest banks as earning season gets underway.
Speaker 3: I'm Brian Curtis in Hong Kong. We look forward to what's referred to as Auto Show China in the coming week. Is it about the cars or the politics?
Speaker 4: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg day Break Weekend on Bloomberg Eleve Them three Own New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one, Washington, DC, Bloomberg one O six one, Boston, Bloomberg nine sixty, San Francisco, DAB Digital Radio, London, Sirius XM one nineteen and around the world on Bloomberg Radio dot Com and via the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 1: Good day to you. I'm Tom Busby, and we begin today's program with a look at key economic data here in the US. On Thursday, we get core PCE for March GDP data for the first quarter of this year. What will this mean for the Fed's monetary policy going forward? Well for more, we're joined by Stuart Paul Us economists with Bloomberg Economics. Stuart, the PCE Price Index the preferred measure of inflation for the FED. What do you expect to see for March.
Speaker 5: We're expecting to see the headline PCE Price Index show about zero point three percent growth month on month. The core, which is more illustrative of what's going on in the actual economy, strips out energy, strips out food. We're expecting to see the core rise about the same zero point three percent month on month, and that's going to allow just a very slight moderation in the annual measure of core pc inflation. We're expecting about two point seven percent annual PCEE inflation. A big part of that inflation pressure is coming from core services in particular, and if we drill down and look underneath the hood of what's going on, we see insurance products are really helping to drive that inflationary pressure.
Speaker 1: Auto insurance, homeowners insurance.
Speaker 5: Everything that's right, So auto insurance, home insurance, and we're seeing those prices rise in large part because of rising prices that we saw for autos and homes post pandemic. So when the replacement cost of autos and when construction costs rise for homes, for example, so to do the insurance premiums that people have to pay. So this is sort of a residual effects from the inflation that we've already seen in the past. But that's not the full story. The fact that people can afford to pay those higher premiums is again just downstreaming the fact that the economy continues chugging long and if people are doing relatively well, and we're going to see that exact same thing in the person income data that we get at the same time, we're going to see March personal income growth about zero point six percent. Again, it's just too hot for the Fed. It's too hot for the FED to have confidence that inflation pressures are truly waning.
Speaker 1: Well, we've seen wage growth, and we've seen the labor market to an upside surprise almost every month, well certainly every month this year. How could it not, that's right, Yeah, the labor market has been resilient. We saw it just in the month of March, three hundred and three thousand jobs added. We saw an increase in the number of hours worked on average, We saw wages rising on an hourly basis, and to our best estimate, employee compensation, so that's both salaries and other additional benefits. Our best estimate is that employee compensation rose about zero point eight percent during the month. That is a hot labor market that is really helping tabooy spending, and that PCE spending that we're going to see is probably going to be on the order about zero point seven percent. Retail sales was hot, and.
Speaker 5: We're expecting to see the same thing in March PCE spending.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about then, the other reading that we'll get on Thursday, and that is economic growth. What do you expect to see? This is an initial reading for the first quarter of this year.
Speaker 5: We're very likely to see robust growth to start the air. I'm estimating two and a half percent real GDP growth that's on an annualized basis in the first quarter. That's really supported again by consumer spending, which is creating that inflationary impulse but about two point nine percent annualized consumer spending growth on a real basis in the first quarter is very impressive. Fixed investment a bit weak. Investment is really coming from residential investment because of a bit of a housing shortage because people are staying in their homes they locked in low rates. So we have a little bit of a housing shortage with very low inventories and a lot of investment in intellectual property. Right, this is all downstream of the AI boom and people really looking to improve the software and intellectual property that they have so that they could take advantage of that.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to housing and the challenges not just home buying, but also rents surprisingly a little higher. I mean, how is that affecting things for the overall GDP.
Speaker 5: So the fact that rent prices are up is not directly pushing GDP one way or another, but the fact that rents are up is encouraging additional investment in housing. Right, there's clearly a shortage of a housing stock. People who are homeowners are not listing their homes because the average rate being paid on mortgages, not new originations, but existing mortgages is still below four percent. Right, So the fact that homes are not turning over encourages more construction of rental units, which is providing growth in the form of residential fixed investment, and so we are getting some of those tailwinds again. You know, rent prices are a signal. There are signal to builders that we need more construction, and I think that that's going to show up a bit in residential fixed investment in the Q one GDP numbers.
Speaker 1: Well, let's hope. So you have a rather upbeat out look for the GDP PCE leveling off a little bit two point seven percent on an annualized basis, which is it's not two percent, but it's getting there. Add it all up. The FEDS coming up a meeting later this month, the thirtieth and May. First, what do you think is going through their heads? What is the FOMC thinking with all of this?
Speaker 5: I think here really the three items that the FED is looking at that they need to synthesize into a monetary policy view. Growth has remained robust and there is a bit of momentum there. The labor market has been tight and that's created upward pressure owned wages and inflation, yes, ticking down a little bit. Certainly an out of the two percent target, and it's that disinflation progress is stalling out. So you have robust growth, tight labor market, and stalling disinflation progress. That's going to allow the Fed to keep their foot on the brakes a little bit longer. I think that as we get to June, we might end up seeing a revision to the famous FOMC dot plot, which shows monetary policy makers forecast for where rates are going to go. Right now, they're showing seventy five bases points of cuts in this year. In twenty twenty four, I think that the risk is really toward a revision where even policymakers have to admit they're not going to be able to cut rates as much as they once thought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe not seventy five, but we may see something by the end of this year.
Speaker 5: Fifty twenty five. It's possible. But then we're getting close to the end of the year and we're getting close to election season, and it gets really difficult to navigate both political and economic conditions.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, a lot to look forward to. Well that March pce Q one gdp out this coming Thursday in our thanks to Stuart paul Us economist with Bloomberg Economics. Well, we turn now to the first quarter earning season with a ton of big reports this week. One company though getting a lot of attention, the world's most valuable electric automaker, Tesla, posting its latest results on Tuesday. And for more on what we can expect and all the challenges that Tesla is facing, we're joined by Steve Mann, Bloomberg and Intelligence, Global Autos and Industrials Research Analyst. Now, Steve, let's start with what you expect to see with the results, and then we'll get into everything else with Tesla's So what do you expect to see on Tuesday?
Speaker 6: Oh, it's not going to be pretty for Tesla. They've announced a cut ten percent of their workforce, and you know they announced it right beginning of the second quarterer, so it may be signaling that things are a lot worse than the street anticipated, maybe a lot worse than what they anticipated. So, you know, first quarter earning, it's not going to be pretty. You know, we're thinking it's, you know, based on a scenario analysis, likely a miss versus consensus.
Speaker 1: And we've seen a few misses from a Tesla lately. We saw the deliveries missed. You know, there's a laundry list of things we could talk about, and we'll also talk about some of the good things. So well, let's get more on those job cuts. Ten percent of its workforce, fourteen thousand jobs worldwide. Like you said, not a good sign, not a sign of confidence for employees or for investors, is it?
Speaker 6: No? No? And and interestingly, they actually raise prices in the US and they cut incentives in China. So you know, I think journey earnings call, it's going to be a huge earnings call for Tesla, and hopefully they're prepared for that. They're going to have to set you know, real expectations for the investors and how to move forward because you know, they cut prices earlier this month. You know, the fear is that they're going to reverse it. If they do, you know, we're going to probably see more downgrades on the stock, earnings downgrade and ratings down grade by the street.
Speaker 1: And that's about forty percent just a year to date right on that stock.
Speaker 6: Yeah, forty percent. Now, they're not alone at this This is an industry wide issue, particularly in the US, more so in the US, but we're seeing it globally as well. I think the early adopters for evs have pretty much tapped out.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: A lot of the evs today that are offered today, especially in the West, in Europe and as well in the US, they're well above fifty thousand dollars per vehicle. Above fifty thousand, you're pretty much at the premium and luxury segment, So the market for that segment is relatively small. What we're also looking for Tesla to talk about in their earnings it's their next model. It's dubbed the Model two. It's a compact subcompact vehicle supposedly under thirty thousand dollars. It's a critical product, not just for Tesla but for the market because, like I said earlier, the luxury segment is pretty much tapped out, so we need to bring in new buyers for battery electric vehicles and more affordable evs is really what the market needs right now.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: There were reports that that Model too production had been delayed. Tesla denied those reports. But where is it? They have said the robotaxis comme August eighth, right, But I think, like you said, most people want to see a more affordable car.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that Model two is critical for tests up. It's interesting. I'm still optimistic. I think, you know, they's already spent a lot of money, made a lot of investment in developing that model too, you know, and they were scheduled to actually launch that at the end of twenty twenty five. You know, it's not that far away, given that it takes multi years to develop a new car, So for them to scrap it pretty much almost the last minute, it's kind of unheard of. So now you no elon must it come out on Twitter or on x to say that the reporting on cancellational Model two is false. I hope that's that's the case. But in the fourth quarter announcement earnings announcement, he did mention that this model too will be launched at the end of time twenty twenty five, and that the production actually will start in the US and then expand into Mexico. Hopefully it's really not a cancellation of the model to the subcompact compact vehicle. Maybe there's some hurdles that they need to get through in building that plant in Mexico, and that's probably hopefully, that's probably what it is.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot to look forward to Tesla's first quarter results coming out after the close this Tuesday, and our thanks to Steve Man, Bloomberg Intelligence, Global Autos and Industrials research analyst. Coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend, we'll look at what's in store for Europe's biggest banks as earning season gets underway. There, I'm Tom Busby, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York. Up later in our program a look at the twenty twenty four Beijing International Automotive Exhibition. But first, it's earning season for Europe's biggest banks, and hotter than expected inflation in Europe could put its central banks in a difficult position as far as plans to lower interest rates higher for longer may not be the mantra that the markets want to hear, but for Europe's biggest lenders it could prove lucrative for more. Let's go to London and bring in Bloomberg Daybreak europe banker Steven Carroll.
Speaker 2: Tom High interest rates have been the key profit driver for European banks over the past year. In twenty twenty three, Elevated borrowing costs saw the combined net income of the twenty biggest continental European banks exceed one hundred billion euros for the first time. According to Bloomberg data, three quarters of the lenders and the group achieved their highest profits ever. Barkley's Deutche Bank and BMP Paribar are just some of the names reporting results in the coming days. As markets are staring down the barrel of an even longer period of high interest rates, many will be hoping to emulate last year's success, but that may be difficult as the tailwinds attached to high rates begin to fade. Annaly survey by Bloomberg expect the combined net income for eleven of Europe's biggest banks to fall by six point three percent this year, but that would still make twenty twenty four the second most profitable year for more than two decades. Now, JP Morgan's research team is reassessing it's initially wary outlook on the sector, admitting their cautious approach was not the right decision, but uncertainty over the right path is a cloud on the horizon. Markets are expecting the European Central Bank to cut rates for the first time in June, but the trajectory after that looks more uncertain. We've been discussing this with Klaus Badder, global chief economist at SUSSIA to general he says that borrowing costs will start to come down slowly.
Speaker 7: Well the easy B we see three intrastright cuts, which is a pretty slow pace. So cut in June, a cut in September, cut in December, which would coincide with dates to the staff protections that the UCP has, So it's certainly not it's a gradual cut. And by the way, all of those reductions we expect them to be by twenty five basis points, so it's certainly a much slower place on the way down than on the way up. And for the Bank of England it's it's fairly similar. But one big difference between the Bank of England and the ECP, of course, is that the Bank of England has rates interest rates much more drastically then the ECB. And the UK economy is really quite sensitive to interest rates because of the structure of its mortgage market, where even though now most mortgage rates are fixed, they're fixed for a relatively short period of time. In drastic contrast France to Germany or the Netherlands and other countries in Europe where you have very long fixed rate deals and so the sensitivity of interest rates they are small. So I would say that the Bank of England is likely and it's over considerable let's say six and nine months, is likely to reduce interest rates as somewhat faster clip than the ECB will.
Speaker 2: How worried do ECB policy bakers need to be about a fact that may not be cutting rights as you see as this year.
Speaker 7: You know, of course central banks will always tell you you're not quite independent, and we have our brief, and our brief is to do with our domestic economy. I think that the connection between central bank policies first and foremost comes to the exchange rate. Now, the US already relatively weak. If you've got an inflation problem, that's not a good thing. But if inflation in your area is going too slow, then I think the UCB is going to have a reasonably high degree of tolerance for a weaker exchange rate, and therefore will not be particularly fast. But now, clearly, if the FED was cutting interest rates quickly, there would be more scope for the UCP to reduce interest rates as well. I think that's that's clear. But what I've been a bit surprised about is that the ECB's portrayal of the inflation picture is not completely in line the way I see. I have to say.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 2: That was Claud's Bader, Global Chief Economist Assaciaity General in London, speaking to us on Bloomberg Radio. What does all of this mean for those big European banking names reporting in this earning season. I've been discussing that with Bloomberg Opinions Global Banking Columbist Paul J. Davies.
Speaker 9: The really fascinating thing that we saw at four year earnings that we didn't expect was the southern European banks, you know, the Santander's UNI credit, especially those of Spain and Italy really kind of outperformed. They did so much better than people were expecting. Normally, these banks they have kind of they have much shorter duration loans on their books, They react much more quickly to interest rates, and people were expecting them to sort of fall off quicker, but in fact it was the other way around. Those with the more new othern Europeans, some of the French BNP, German Dutch banks didn't do so well at all. They kind of missed their earnings and revenue expectations. So it's like, and I think there's a sense that that's going to continue, even though we're expecting rate cuts to come. Obviously, I think the curves have remained relatively steep, and that's really good for these these Southern European banks. So we'll see we'll see a bit more of that, probably.
Speaker 2: Because I mean this is of course in the context of when we're looking ahead to an expected cut from the ECB in June. Are you suggesting that that's going to kind of have quite diversion effects across the European banking sector than when we're kind of listening out to what banks are going to be telling us better out look.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, when the cuts do start to come in, then obviously it will affect those Southern European banks quickest because their loans reset faster. Later on in the year, we might see their earnings expectations start to drop away, depending on exactly what cuts materialize and what the outlook is for how many more cuts are going to come, And then that's when the more defensive you know, the northern Europeans with with much longer duration mortgage books and things like this, who will have more of you know, the recent sort of higher rates lasting for longer in their lending. That's when they will look better. But it obviously depends on why we're cutting rates and how far we're cutting rates, And if we're moving into something that looks a lot more recessionary, then that's obviously kind of bad for banks in general, and we'll be starting to worry about you know, bad debts and provisions and that sort of thing creeping up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean, looking at the stocks bank Bank index up over ten percent since the start of the years that high borrowing costs have been you know, helping to lift those as well is Gulb and Sachs rise. And describing the future of European banks is better for longer.
Speaker 9: Well, again, it depends on what rate cuts we have and what the outlook is for why they're happening. I mean, I mean, if you look at European banks alone, if you look at the eurostocks fifty the banks in there so exclude the UK banks, then actually the performance has been even better. And one of the drivers there has been you know, some of the bigger banks. BNP has sold businesses, UNI Credit has had years and years of fixing its balance sheets, and the benefit of that has been coming through. And what that meant is there's been this wave of you know, much larger than normal, much larger than anything in the last decade or so kind of share buybacks coming through. So so investors have looked at sort of, you know, reasonably good earnings, you know, reasonable hopes for those earnings lasting a little bit longer, and this wave of buybacks coming through, and that's what supported a lot of the European banks, but probably even more than some of the UK banks.
Speaker 2: To be honest, what about investment banking and all of this as well? What are it sort of hopes that these banks have in that sector.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, this is where it's this is where they are being kind of way more optimistic than is warranted, I think. I mean, we've just had all of the big US banks reporting there was a jump in investment banking fees and a lot of this was driven by kind of bond issuance and loan issuance by sort of you know, the debt capital market side of things. The M and a business is still really really struggling now. So good debt market business is going to be good for Deutsche Bank, is going to be good for Barkleys. That's historically where they've where they've done well. But you know, Barklay's, especially BNP also to some degree, Deutsche have like they have like really quite bullish expectations for what investment banking revenues are going to do over the next few years, in terms of what they're promising shareholders, the returns they're going to make, you know, for Barkley's, the capital returns they're going to fund, and this sort of thing. And really it's like the investment banking recovery isn't looking that strong yet. It's looking like it's still going to be quite a tricky, quite a bumpy year in many ways. And where it is good is going to be much more US focused. So I'm kind of very skeptical that a lot of these Europeans are going to hit the kind of targets that they're setting.
Speaker 2: So is it the banks that have a greater US investment bank business then that are more likely to outperform in this sector?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 9: So, I mean, so Barkley is obviously with a lot more US exposure, perhaps will do better than BNP or Deutsch on that front. But again it's like the expectations that they have involved taking market share from somebody else, and the question is, well, who is that somebody else? I mean, they're not going to take it from the Americans, not that easily anyway. You know, obviously creditsueeze blew up and is gone. You know, any market shared we had from then has probably been already distributed. So then the question is, you know, where do you get it from? I mean, there's an argument that there are some smaller European banks who are going to find it increasingly difficult to maintain those investment banking services in any sort of you know, cost effective or competitive fashion. But again, they don't account for a lot of the business, so there's not a lot of share to be taken from them, even if they do give up and go away. So it's really difficult to see, you know, how these big Europeans really kind of do anything better than what the market does.
Speaker 2: We've been discussing the differing outlooks for interest rates between the US and Europe after the recent comments from Jerome Powe signaling a later start to rate cuts in the US. Does the currency diversions that could provoke, is that going to have an impact on banks outlooks?
Speaker 9: I mean again, certainly. I mean I think it's like, you know, for the US, we're almost certainly into a world of you know, higher rates for longer, more upward volatility in both rates and inflation rather and kind of downward volatility, i e. You know, we're going to continue to see if rates do move or if there is questions over the path of rates, it's going to be flat to up rather than suddenly down. In Europe, it's a very different world. It's you know, it's lower growth generally, it's lower productivity. There's like there's more kind of trade and supply chain issues for Europe than there are for the US. And there are some people and I kind of hadn't decided quite whether I agree with them yet or not, but there are some people who really think that actually the volatility in Europe is going to be downwards. It's going to be inflation undershooting expectations more quickly than we might think, rates having to drop to below sort of two percent again more quickly than we might think as well, and that is bad for trading activity. You know, we could be entering a stage where actually Europe and the US start to diverge quite a bit, and again that will favor the big US banks over the big European banks when it comes to investment, banking and trading too.
Speaker 2: Quite about jobs and pay in all of this as well, You've written extensively about ubs after the Credits Suite takeover. We've reporting on the most recent round of job cuts expected at ubs as well. What is the outlook for those working in these banks in terms of both the security of their jobs but also how much they should be expecting in bonuses.
Speaker 9: Well, again, I mean, it depends a lot on what happens with the economy. I think in the US it's it's obviously looking better apart from I mean, if you're an M and a banker, you know, you're still not getting the kind of activity that you that will see you earning you know, fabulous money. You know, the boutiques who also pay their bankers a greater share of the revenue they make so they don't have all of the rest of the costs are also kind of taking away bits of business. So we're talking me like, you know, the ever cause, the pgats, the Lazards, you know, those sorts of banks, those sorts of investment banks. It's a much trickier world. But again it's sort of you know, to the extent that there looks like there could be a recovery, it's going to be more US based than Europe based. So so those people will people focus on the US will earn more. But I mean, I guess and we've got a big, a big take about this on Bloomberg about you know, the private equity industry and the lack of activity there. This is a huge, huge business for investment banking. They you know, historically supply up to thirty percent of all investment banking fees across the board in terms of M and A advice, their issuance equitations and so on and so forth. And until that industry can kind of find its mojo again, can find reasons and value in doing deals, then investment banking is going to disappoint. And so you know, the job requirements and the bonus requirements for a lot of people may well disappoint us well.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Bloomberg opinions, Paul J. Davies, we will bring you those bank results on Bloomberg Radio as they're released in the coming days. I'm Stephen Carroll in London. You can catch us every weekday morning here for Bloomberg Daybreak Europe, beginning at six am in London and one am on Wall Streets.
Speaker 1: Tom, thank you, Steven, And coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend, I'll look at the twenty twenty four Beijing International Automotive Exhibition. I'm Tom Busby, and this is Bloomberg. I'm Tom Buzzby with your global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. This week is the Auto Show China, the twenty twenty four Beijing International Automotive Exhibition. Bloomberg Daybreak Asia host Brian Curtis and Doug Krisner take a look at China's electric vehicle market and how international automakers are reacting to China's dominance in that space.
Speaker 3: Tom, we look forward to Auto Show China, the twenty twenty four Beijing International Automotive Exhibition. Legacy European automakers will be revving up a last ditch offensive to win back some of the EV market, and the Chinese brands will be showing off their latest models.
Speaker 10: For sure, BMW is showcasing and unprecedented fifteen models. A slew of BMW executives will be attending. Mercedes CEO is attending as well, and Volkswagen will also bring a number of its highest ranking executives. This show comes at a time of heightened tensions between bay Jing and the West over low cost manufacturing in China, and.
Speaker 3: We thought the Auto Show as a result would be a good prism through which to look at some of these issues. The still growing domestic auto market in China, but also the global auto market EU tensions with China over cheap Chinese autos US China issues as well some of the travails that Tesla is facing, and what happens if and when Chinese manufacturers set up shop in Mexico as they eye the big US market joining us. In our studios in Hong Kong, our Bloomberg Transport reporters Linda lu and Danny Leeb and First German Chancellor Olaf Schultz has been in China over the past week and has drawn some attention to this issue that Doug mentioned, over capacity of evs in China flooding European markets. We asked Bloomberg correspondent Rebecca Chong Wilkins to characterize the Chinese response to such criticism.
Speaker 11: EV is a part of this whole channel and plan and to replace the old drivers of growth. If we do see this kind of friction, this trade friction, that does have the potential to significantly impact the ability for these industry to continue developing, because exporting is a big part of the plan.
Speaker 3: That's Rebecca Cheong Wilkins. So, Danny, this show, which you'll be a ten thing and Linda will as well, is about cars. Will it be about the cars or the politics?
Speaker 8: It will be about making sure that Germans or Germany's auto production is not harmed by the rise of Chinese evs ultimately as much as it is about the cars automotive show on display. But there is still a sense of cheer politics and economy as well, given how much the automotive market really contributes to the German economy. And you know, you've seen these successful brands over many, many decades. You see them in China today. The fact that BM Double Mercedes now they count they count China as being their biggest markets in some shape or form, whether beyond revenue or on sales. So it's very important. And when you see the rise of Chinese evs in particular, what you're seeing is them having to reposition themselves against the rise of Chinese evs. But we've not necessarily necessarily seen an impact yet of on revenues or on sales in particular, but is bracing themselves for what is an interesting and fascinating long term battle for supremacy and relevance in not just China, but what will be the global market.
Speaker 10: When I think at the early days of the auto industry in China, I think joint venture, both American and European partners establishing these jvs, And clearly I think we can agree that Chinese firms did benefit from being exposed to that technology on the production side. You know, we've heard about past disagreements when it comes to things like intellectual proper. I'm curious, Linda, where is China now when it comes to technology, particularly as it relates to EV's. How sophisticated is that technology currently?
Speaker 12: As you mentioned, in the early days of China's automotive manufacturing, they've relied on these foreign joint ventures a lot, where international brands like Ford and GM went into the China market and set up these production facilities together with the Chinese partners. And really what's really interesting is that now that China has really grown its domestic electric vehicle industry and along with that, coming with the battery supply chain, it's kind of leapfrog. Now you're seeing the foreign automakers having to turn to China to try to get some of that technological edge. We've seen Volkswagen tie up with Xpong, which is an up and coming EV startup. We've also seen Stilantis forming partnership with an EV make her called leap Motor. So it's really interesting to see how the tide has turned.
Speaker 3: So you've got Neo, you've got le Auto, you've got x pun BYD the biggest name I suppose, and now a new entrant, shall Me. I'm just curious, will we see much at this auto show in the coming week from shall Me?
Speaker 12: Yes, Shallmi will be exhibiting at the auto show. What's really interesting about shell Me is they've already had a major launch a couple of weeks ago, and after that launched, the reception has been better than expected. Sales kind of went through the roof, so I think at the Auto Show. It would be kind of another chance for shell Me to display its first EV, the SIU seven.
Speaker 10: Linda just mentioned the auto supply chain Danny. When it comes to very critical technology lithium ion batteries, I'm thinking of c at L in particular. We just heard from the company recently with its earnings report to what extent is China dominate the battery space? Is this a slam dunk? I mean, nobody can compete against China right now when it comes to EV batteries.
Speaker 8: I think China's always had that head start in the battery space and doing it in a way in scale and identifying what it thought would be the future technologies. When you do look at the numbers, you do see China in particular having a grip on many aspects of the battery supply chain. And that's no coincidence thanks to this response to what they thought was the future in automotive being evs. When you see some like c ATL you performing so strongly, and it seems to whether any kind of market conditions, clearly there is a cause can concern there, because when you want to have a level playing field, when you want to have more players, more diversity, and yet there is still more concentration. I think there's a big question mark over how governments respond to maybe even support their own kind of national champions in the battery space.
Speaker 10: Linda, as you know, US Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen was recently in China and one of the things that she criticized the government for was the subsidy the role that subsidies play in supporting the industry. What do we know about how the government has supported the EV manufacturers and whether or not that has been, to Yellen's point, maybe a little excessive.
Speaker 12: Yes, that's right. When Jennet Yellen and China, the word that kept coming up was over capacity. And you know how the Chinese government subsidies have led to the situation. In the early days of the electric vehicle industry in China, the government has poured tens of billions of dollars into growing and nurturing these companies. Now you've got success stories like byd CTL that have come from this government support. But in the past few years that support has been phased out as China enters kind of its next stage of EV adoption, which is more market driven.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 12: I think critics may point to that as unfair competition that these Chinese companies survived, so probably mostly due to these subsidies. But on the other hand, you see US and the EU also now investing into their domestic industry. So it's kind of an interesting argument depending on which way you spin it.
Speaker 3: And we haven't talked too much about BYD Lend, but BYD. You know, we made a lot of the fact that they were getting some mass market cars really out across the country, but now we've just seen them double down on their expansion into luxury SUVs and I'm wondering what the impact that that might be and the competition that might provide to Tesla.
Speaker 12: Yeah, last night BYD just launched more models from the upscale function by brand, and they're doing a lot more in the luxury space. And from the analysts that we've spoken to, they think these brands are probably not going to move a huge amount of volume, but what they do bring to the table for BYD is prestige, and having that prestige will just lift BYD's brand up and help it to compete more in the kind of arena where Tesla is at. You know, Tesla has super passionate fans and they just really love the Tesla brand, and BYD is trying to head that way.
Speaker 10: We've heard of the potential threat of tariffs, not only from the US, but certainly from the European side too. Workers very much, I think, for both parties are top of mind when government officials try to defend their turf and keeping people employed. Danny, take me into the shop floor. If you look at the way some of these manufacturing facilities are structured in China when you get into EV manufacturing, are we talking about a great deal of workers or as a lot of this already automated that we're using a heavy amount of robotics.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 8: There is a greater reliance on automation and robotics. And you can see the way in which the likes of BYD have some of the most efficient supply chains. And it's you know, you're taking from the copybook of the likes of Tesla, who's redefined the way in which EV's cars are produced fundamentally. And you can see and it's astonishing kind of perspective when you look at you go on to these kind of production lines and you see very few workers. You know, you go for up to a mile or more and you'd see handfuls of workers and all they're doing is fundamentally managing the machines, making sure that production is smooth, it can run automatedly and they'll just iron out any kinks. And so you know, when you can get to that kind of level of efficiency, it is, you know, clearly underscores your ability to be a successful kind of company. And of course, when you see in someone like Europe or even in the US where working in the automotive industry is highly unionized, clearly people will be concerned about their jobs, and how you pivot away from that into something more automated is very difficult. Outside of China.
Speaker 3: I mentioned in the intro about Chinese manufacturers looking to set up shop in Mexico. I just ask you, in a very short question, perhaps a short answer as well, do you see Chinese manufacturers manufacturing in Mexico before the end of this decade? Yes, all right, we'll finish on that note. And that will definitely queue up a lot of tensions with the United States. If you think that those tensions are high with China and the EU, wait till you see a BYD manufacturing cars in Mexico for export to the United States. Danny, thanks so much for joining us, and Linda Lewis as well. Transport reporters. Here at Bloomberg, I'm Brian Curtis in Hong Kong along with Doug Krisner. You can catch us every weekday for Bloomberg day Break Asia, beginning at eight am in Hong Kong and eight pm on Wall Street.
Speaker 1: Tom right, thanks to Brian, and thank you to Doug. And that does it for this edition of Bloomberg day Break Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street time for the latest on markets overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Tom Busby. Stay with us. Top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.