Speaker 1: Life.
Speaker 2: Hi, it's nice to get outside. So why are we going to play today? Tag? Hide and seek?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Hell about swinging? Kelly? You know how to play that?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Billy? What about you, Elliot? Do you know how to play swinging? Swingy thing?
Speaker 3: Elliott did not know how to play swing aling, but he didn't want his friends to know that, so he told a little white lie. That's when a person says a small thing that's not true.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, of course. In our play.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Stories for Kids by Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning. Today, we explore why some kids might tell white lies. White lies are things that can start out small but can quit build into something bigger.
Speaker 2: Let's jump back in great, we all know how to play, Elliott, you can start. I'm sure I know what to do.
Speaker 3: But Lingo Kids listeners, Elliott did not know what to do.
Speaker 2: Let's check in with em.
Speaker 3: Elliott, I thought you didn't know what swingling was?
Speaker 2: Well I maybe, no, not really.
Speaker 3: Do you know why you decided to tell your friends that you knew how to play?
Speaker 2: Well, everyone else seems to know what slingling is. What if they laugh.
Speaker 3: I mean for not knowing they're your friends, Elliott. I'm sure they'd be happier if you told the truth. They could explain the game to you, or you could play something else.
Speaker 4: Hmmm, it's okay, I'm sure I'll pick up the rules.
Speaker 2: Of the game. Let's go back to Lisay and Cowie and Billy. They're waiting for me. Elliott.
Speaker 3: You've got so you're going to start the game?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Sure? Sure? Great? Sing this song? You know this swing that nig song? Right?
Speaker 3: Oh, the song lingo kids listeners. Elliott didn't know the song, but since he'd already lied about knowing the game, let's see what happens next.
Speaker 2: Lisa, of course I know the song.
Speaker 4: It's just my throw is a little sore right now, so let's continue without it.
Speaker 2: Okay. Then, well you've got to close your eyes, Elliott, Right right, okay, closed? Now hold on one leg, one leg of course. Okay. So they're gone. Oh no, Lisa, Joe and Billy are all missing. What do I do?
Speaker 3: Elliot? Everyone appreciates it when you tell them the truth. You'd want your friends to be honest with you, right, yeah, So now do you think it might be time to tell your friends that you don't know the rules of the game.
Speaker 2: Hmmm. Or maybe this is part of the game. Maybe it's like hide and seek.
Speaker 4: So instead of telling the truth, I'll just go and find them.
Speaker 3: And so Elliot, still not knowing the game's rules, went off to find his friends. He looked up a slide.
Speaker 2: They're not here. He looked in a bush.
Speaker 3: No, he even dug a hole in the sandbox and looked for them in there.
Speaker 2: They're not here here.
Speaker 3: Elliott thought a few times about calling out for his friends, but then they'd know that he had longed. And the more Elliott thought about it, the more nervous he got.
Speaker 2: What if they get mad at me? Who stop talking to me?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Don't want to be my friends anymore?
Speaker 3: Elliot? Did you know that nearly everyone tries these little white lies at some point?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Hey, lingo, kids listeners, do you know why people lie? What about you, Elliott?
Speaker 4: Maybe kids lie because they're worried about what will happen if they tell the truth.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that's true.
Speaker 3: Other reasons are that they may not think they'll be believed, or sometimes they're feeling ashamed. But lyon doesn't actually improve things. Did lying make you feel better, Elliott, No, right, let me show you something. Imagine a balloon.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm imagining a balloon, a yellow balloon.
Speaker 2: What's next?
Speaker 3: Well, little lies may start small, but the more lies we put into that yellow balloon.
Speaker 2: The bigger it becomes, exactly.
Speaker 3: And the harder it is to keep under control, until finally that yellow balloon gets so big that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right. I don't like how a lying makes me feel.
Speaker 4: I can't take it anymore, Lisa, Cowie Billy, I.
Speaker 2: Give up, I can't find you.
Speaker 1: Please come out, Ellen, or right here. Oh we weren't hiding. We were waiting for you to go to the swings. We're playing swingling, remember, Oh, swingling at the swings?
Speaker 2: Does it make sense I find you? He says he knew the rules.
Speaker 4: Elliot, I did say that, but there's something I need to tell you.
Speaker 2: I don't actually know how to play the game. Oh, Elliott, why did you say so? I guess I was worried that you might laugh at me? Elliot, where are your friends? If you don't know something, we to help show you. Lice is right, it's always better to be honest. I'm glad you finally told us. I do feel much better after telling the truths. I don't think I'm going to make a habit of flying. Do you guys forgive me? I do me too. Thanks everyone, So what should we do now? How about we play a game that we all know. Maybe hide and seek? What do you seek? Elliot?
Speaker 4: Oh, to be honest, I've done enough searching for one day.
Speaker 2: Maybe we play tag.
Speaker 3: LINGO kids listeners, thanks for learning about white lies. We learned that we all feel better when we tell the truth. Remember, being honest builds trust and keeps us happy and healthy. We'll see you next time.